PDA

View Full Version : Who Was The Greatest NBA Talent, That Never Was?

NYMetropolitans
12-20-2011, 04:49 AM
Due to stupidity, drugs, death, injuries, etc.

Stephon Marbury.

abe_froman
12-20-2011, 04:52 AM
len bias,greg oden? off the top of my head

Trace
12-20-2011, 04:53 AM
Len Bias

John Walls Era
12-20-2011, 04:54 AM
:laugh:

The same guy who was close to 20 and 8 in his prime? Marbury was a bust for the knicks given how much they paid, but the guy was a quality player.

NYMetropolitans
12-20-2011, 04:57 AM
:laugh:

The same guy who was close to 20 and 8 in his prime? Marbury was a bust for the knicks given how much they paid, but the guy was a quality player.

I know the guy was a quality and sometimes all-star player...but I think, with his skill-set and explosiveness, could of been one of the greatest to step on the hardwood.

PacersForLife
12-20-2011, 05:00 AM
Jonathan Bender due to his knees.

Wade>You
12-20-2011, 05:01 AM
Jonathan Bender due to his knees.I was thinking of that guy when I read the thread title. That guy was a 7ft shooting guard. He goes by the name of Paul George now.

BullsFTW
12-20-2011, 05:03 AM
The jury is still out on that one but I believe (totally non-bias NYK fan opinion :rolleyes:) by joining Bosh and Wade and setting his own path unfortunately we will be deprived of a potential legend.

If he came to NY he could of been one of the greatest, in my opinion anyways.

New York or Chicago...then again I'm glad he didn't come to Chicago or Rose would have never develop the way he did last year.

thenetslegend
12-20-2011, 05:06 AM
gilbert

PacersForLife
12-20-2011, 05:07 AM
I was thinking of that guy when I read the thread title. That guy was a 7ft shooting guard. He goes by the name of Paul George now.

Yeah lol, a lot of people believed he coulda been the first player to get a 5-by-5. He coulda been real good.

Korman12
12-20-2011, 05:07 AM
Bill goddamn Walton.

mdm692
12-20-2011, 05:15 AM
Grant hill- youre talking about a guy who was supposed to be the next jordan with a near perfect college resume but injuries always set him back.

Philapsychosis
12-20-2011, 05:17 AM
Not sure how Len Bias isn't every answer to this question. Never played an NBA game, so we never will know. This guy had a disgusting skill set and a great work ethic. Can't really see how that would have ended up as a bust had he not OD'd

Tanakid777
12-20-2011, 05:32 AM
Maurice Stokes

SeoulBeatz
12-20-2011, 05:33 AM
Yeah Len Bias comes to mind.

ShakeN'Bake
12-20-2011, 08:26 AM
For me its easily Len Bias. Guy had unreal talent and then overdosed after the draft.

CityofChaos
12-20-2011, 08:37 AM
Jay Williams

theheatles
12-20-2011, 09:03 AM
Len Bias, Dajuan Wagner, Sebastian Telfair, Darius Miles

mdm692
12-20-2011, 09:25 AM
Len Bias, Dajuan Wagner, Sebastian Telfair, Darius Miles

he got signed in phx anybody think he will resurrect his career here everybody knows how our system blows up peoples stats.

bagwell368
12-20-2011, 09:27 AM
Bias and Walton have to be #1 and #2

Bias not only blew his career, but McHale played a ton more minutes because Bias was dead that "rookie" year and broke his foot and kept playing, and he was never the same again.

Walton merely was the greatest passing big man of all time, and was a much more complete player then Jabbar - although lacking the offensive domination of Jabbar. Clearly a top 5 talent.

BALLER R
12-20-2011, 09:29 AM
Vince Carter

BALLER R
12-20-2011, 09:29 AM
Brandon Roy

ShakeN'Bake
12-20-2011, 09:32 AM
Jay Williams

Can't believe I forgot about him. He was one of my favorite players to watch. Its too bad about the motorcycle accident.

latinofire21
12-20-2011, 09:33 AM
Brandon Roy

Yao Ming

Greg Oden

Penny Hardaway

Grant Hill

Bob Hurley

I cant seem to remember his name but he was Kevin Garnetts best friend in Minnesota and he died of a car crash while being drunk. He was also in the movie Eddie.

Jonathon Bender

Tracy McGrady

Steve Francis

Magic Johnson

If i think about it I could probably name a few more.

BklynKnicks3
12-20-2011, 09:56 AM
Penny hardaway would have been top 10 player of all time

BranWingss
12-20-2011, 09:59 AM
Vince Carter

Brandon Roy

At least they were all-stars, unlike other players.

Greg Oden obviously comes to mind, as I think he could go down as one of the greatest centers of all-time.

Shaun Livingston was supossed to be a star in this league. Injuries really hurt his career, and of course, that knee injury.

SportsAndrew25
12-20-2011, 10:07 AM
Len Bias. He had all the talent in the world and wasted it on one little drug session 25 years ago. :pity:

Rndy
12-20-2011, 10:11 AM
Greg Oden or Jay Williams our my picks. Given Odens offensive talents I think he would be the best offensive center in basketball. He also played good d and was a great rebounder.

Jay Williams was a heart breaker for Chicago.

thenetslegend
12-20-2011, 10:16 AM
Brandon Roy

Yao Ming

Greg Oden

Penny Hardaway

Grant Hill

Bob Hurley

I cant seem to remember his name but he was Kevin Garnetts best friend in Minnesota and he died of a car crash while being drunk. He was also in the movie Eddie.

Jonathon Bender

Tracy McGrady

Steve Francis

Magic Johnson

why vc?

GoJohnnies718
12-20-2011, 10:21 AM
Len Bias

iam brett favre
12-20-2011, 10:25 AM
Greg Ostertag. Man if he didn't let his ego get in the way he could have been top 10 of all time

RLundi
12-20-2011, 10:36 AM
Michael Ray Richardson.

BKLYNpigeon
12-20-2011, 10:41 AM
EVERYONE in the league says Lamar Odom could have been the best player in the league if he wanted to. the guy was 6'10" with all the skillsets, he just didnt put in the time in the gym.

ILMindState
12-20-2011, 10:41 AM

Ronnie Fields

Him and KG were killin it in the Chicago Public school league. They were amazing to watch. He jumped OVER someone while he was only a junior in high school.

BKLYNpigeon
12-20-2011, 10:42 AM
same goes for Baron Davis. he was an AMAZING talent, and could have been one of the best PG in the game. He was just lazy and had knee issues.

BKLYNpigeon
12-20-2011, 10:43 AM
detlef schrempf

BALLER R
12-20-2011, 10:46 AM
At least they were all-stars, unlike other players.

Greg Oden obviously comes to mind, as I think he could go down as one of the greatest centers of all-time.

Shaun Livingston was supossed to be a star in this league. Injuries really hurt his career, and of course, that knee injury.

You would think that was a good thing but it's more like they could of been far more than that

Kutchie03
12-20-2011, 10:56 AM
Earl 'The Goat' Manigault
-Kareem said he was the best player he ever played against

watch the movie "Rebound: The Legend of Earl "The Goat" Manigault" if you've never heard of him

ScottyFresh11
12-20-2011, 11:01 AM
Ronnie Fields

Him and KG were killin it in the Chicago Public school league. They were amazing to watch. He jumped OVER someone while he was only a junior in high school.

Was just about to post this. They were awesome together in the Chicago Public League. I believe he woulda went to DePaul or might have went straight to the NBA. Scouts believed he would be the better talent between him and Garnett.

mizzacNYC
12-20-2011, 11:17 AM
** Lloyd Daniels, 6-10, Guard/Forward, multiple schools (1983-86).

The troubled SweePea Daniels bounced around at four different high schools in the mid '80s, but showed his true basketball brilliance as a junior at Queens's Andrew Jackson High in 1985-86—his only full season of basketball—when he averaged 31.2 points per game, 12.3 rebounds, and 10 assists. That year, Daniels was an All-City selection and the top-rated junior in the country by a number of scouting agencies and basketball publications. Daniels began his schoolboy career at Thomas Jefferson in Brooklyn and also played at Laurinburg in North Carolina. In between, SweePea made two stops at Oak Hill Academy in Virginia, but never dressed for a game there.

http://www.villagevoice.com/2000-03-07/news/the-city-game/

LLOYD DANIELS

Andrew Jackson, ’86

* One of the greatest New York City players of all-time, Daniels’ career was ruined by academic and drug and alcohol problems. He was shot three times on May 11, 1989 in a drug dispute on a Saint Albans, Queens street corner.

* “SweePea” attended five schools in three states, earning just five credits in three years, but was spectacular in his one full season at Andrew Jackson, before dropping out as a junior. Was slated to attend UNLV before a drug arrest derailed those plans.

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/high_school/basketball
/post_top_big_apple_ballers_of_last_3NJDi3y2OLiRDbB CtVXM2J#ixzz1h5TuUKpj

This dude is a New York City Park Legend. After all was said and done being shot, addicted to crack, this guy still manage to play 5 years in the NBA and couldn't read dropping out of high school. He was considered the next Magic Johnson with better scoring ability...

Here's a recent interview

http://youtu.be/vw0KHH8LgX8

waveycrockett
12-20-2011, 11:25 AM
Yao Ming/Greg Oden. I think if Yao had remained Healthy Rockets would probably have a chip.

Rockwilderz
12-20-2011, 11:27 AM
Demetrius "Hook" Mitchell & Pistol Pete Maravich

avon_barksdale
12-20-2011, 11:28 AM
Brandon Roy

Yao Ming

Greg Oden

Penny Hardaway

Grant Hill

Bob Hurley

Jonathon Bender

Tracy McGrady

Steve Francis

Magic Johnson

it was malik sealy. he played like 8 or 9 yrs before he died tho

PhillyFaninLA
12-20-2011, 11:31 AM
Derek Coleman. He had talent to be mentioned in the same breath as Magic and Jordan but he had a heart slightly smaller then a grain of sand.

He had some great night because he was that talented but he was lazy and heartless and the NBA lost out because of that.

Slimsim
12-20-2011, 11:35 AM
Without Bias

tbone2171
12-20-2011, 11:38 AM
he got signed in phx anybody think he will resurrect his career here everybody knows how our system blows up peoples stats.

sorry, no

GrandDaddyPurp
12-20-2011, 11:38 AM
Len Bias could have been today's LeBron James. There would have been Bias vs Jordan comparisons just as there are LeBron vs Kobe comparisons.

assisi805
12-20-2011, 11:44 AM
Bias closely followed by Hill... Both terrible stories...

mdm692
12-20-2011, 11:45 AM
sorry, no

dont be personally i like ronnie price defense better. But either one is an upgrade over aaron brooks. YES I SAID AARON BROOKS WAS A CANCER IN THE SUNS AND HE DID NOT FIT IN AT ALL IN OUR SYSTEM. HE HAD 2 GOOD GAMES ONE VS THE ROCKETS AND THE OTHER THE TRIPLE OT VS LAKERS.

gattaca
12-20-2011, 11:46 AM
Jonathan Bender

Vincent
12-20-2011, 11:49 AM
For me it's Yao Ming.

Never got to see Len Bias play, and I've heard his potential was exaggerated.

Khalifa21
12-20-2011, 11:55 AM
Len Bias clearly

Jint.
12-20-2011, 12:00 PM
Dejuan Wagner

AntiG
12-20-2011, 12:04 PM
Len Bias. The guy was supposed to be even better than Jordan.

JeffFrankGore
12-20-2011, 12:09 PM
grant hill

Freezee3
12-20-2011, 12:19 PM
Bernard King's short lived career!!!

Spiderman 1nner
12-20-2011, 12:24 PM
Len Bias, TMac (I know he still had a great nba career but it wasn't even a shadow of what it coulda been), Penny Hardaway, Brandon Roy, Grant Hill, and Greg Oden.

willmatic
12-20-2011, 12:39 PM
this is easy for for me...derick coleman had all the tools to be the best power foward to ever play the game...dude was 6'10..strong as a ox..could handle the ball...could rebound the ball..could shoot the ball..and a bully down on the block..and he was hard to guard cause he had those onorthadox lefty moves..those who remember DC know what im talking about...one of the few dudes who use to school shaq when shaq was young...he just couldnt battle his weight problems..and couldnt stay motvated

DITKA4GOV
12-20-2011, 12:44 PM
Hank Gathers and Len Bias. I played in a summer league game against KG and Ronnie Fields when I was a freshman. Fields was a freak athletically but had less heart than vince Carter. Doubt he would have really been anything more than Harold Miner.

SluggeR
12-20-2011, 12:46 PM
People are naming guys that did their thing in the league for atleast a short amount of time, which is inaccurate for this thread. I would say Randy Livingston pg out of LSU. Injuries wrecked his college career and he was still thought of enough to make it to the league. Even with all the injuries, you could see glimpses of what he could have been. He was defeinitely going to be ba Jason Kidd type. I would put Ronald Steele (pg from Alabama) on this list too. Before his knees went out, he was a can't miss prospect.

canuhearmenow
12-20-2011, 12:47 PM
Jay Williams
Shaun Livingston
Rob Traylor
Jonathan Bender
Grant Hill
Darko Milic
dajuan Wagner
darius miles
odom
shawn respert
odom
drazen petrovic
len bias
marbury
steve francis
telefair

goldenstater
12-20-2011, 12:50 PM
Len Bias, also, Hook Mitchell. Gary Payton, antonio Davis, Jason Kidd, and Brian Shaw all said he was the best player out of Oakland during their time. went to prison and got into drugs.

goldenstater
12-20-2011, 12:51 PM
also chris washburn.

ManningToTyree
12-20-2011, 12:57 PM
A couple of Duke guys came to mind when I think of talent that never was able to play in the NBA. Bobby Hurley and Jay Williams could have been really solid PGs.

There are more obvious choices, but I figured I'd throw in a couple obscure ones.

onlythisfar41
12-20-2011, 01:09 PM
I know he may not fit the description exactly but Gilbert Arenas. I saw someone else mention him before and I thought it was a good answer.

Obviously the man had a few GREAT years. He was dominant and one of the best players in the league. Unfortunately he had injuries and stupidity derail his extremely promising career and hell never be anything more than a guy who had a couple great years.

Matrix3132
12-20-2011, 01:09 PM
Jay Williams
Shaun Livingston
Rob Traylor
Jonathan Bender
Grant Hill
Darko Milic
dajuan Wagner
darius miles
odom
shawn respert
odom
drazen petrovic
len bias
marbury
steve francis
telefair

Horrible list, imo.

Rob Traylor-he had a talent for taking on mass
Grant Hill-had some all-star years, he "was"
dajuan Wagner-jacked up shots on bad teams, nothing special
darius miles-world class athlete but nothing else
marbury-had some nice all star years, he "was"
steve francis-had some nice all star years, again, he "was"
telefair-never big enough or had a good enough shot to be considered anything special outside of NYC

joeym
12-20-2011, 01:11 PM
I think most of you guys are too young to remember Connie Hawkins...but he was thought to have the same type of ability as Dr J and MJ but unfortunately pissed it away on drugs in the 70's...

Carey
12-20-2011, 01:13 PM
Len Bias, didnt get to see much of him but from older people i know i've heard the same thing consistently...he was just as good if not better then Jordan in college

Matrix3132
12-20-2011, 01:19 PM
I think most of you guys are too young to remember Connie Hawkins...but he was thought to have the same type of ability as Dr J and MJ but unfortunately pissed it away on drugs in the 70's...

I don't think you know anything about him...he didn't make it to the nba until his late 20s (from the aba where he tore it up) and had to retire from the nba after something like 7 seasons because of knee problems

Snowman23
12-20-2011, 01:22 PM
Len Bias, if Greg Oden can't get healthy he would be there.

BroadwayBullies
12-20-2011, 01:26 PM
Sadly I think it lies with the Celtics organization--first Len Bias dying a couple days after he was drafted and also the sudden death of reggie Lewis. He really was coming into his own when it happened to him- I remember his game vividly he was on his way to becoming a perennial All Star.

But judging by what kareem had to say about him, it seems Earl the Goat Manigault was the greatest player to never play in the league.

BigBlueCrew
12-20-2011, 01:27 PM
Earl 'The Goat' Manigault
-Kareem said he was the best player he ever played against

watch the movie "Rebound: The Legend of Earl "The Goat" Manigault" if you've never heard of him

+1

great movie

gwrighter
12-20-2011, 01:35 PM
due to cold war politics Sabonis never got a chance to show his talents in the NBA during his prime but was still considered one of the best players to ever play the game.

bdizzle
12-20-2011, 01:44 PM
LeBron James
quitter, choke artist, and a pu**y

My god, it's been done and over with for a while. As a fellow Bulls fan, you embarrass me. LeBron clearly isn't the greatest talent that never was. He is one of the greatest players ever and he will win a championship. So, what he did against the Celtics and our Bulls was something a "Choke Artist" would do? He had 1 bad series in the finals. He dominated everything else and he took a garbage Cavs team to the finals by himself.

Greatest talent that never was.. right....

So please, take the ignorant blind hate that just makes Bulls fans look dumber in general somewhere else. You SURE AS HELL wouldn't mind seeing LeBron and Rose team up and be a ridiculous duo that wins championships, don't even deny that.

Big2win
12-20-2011, 01:44 PM
Brandon Roy

Yao Ming

Greg Oden

Penny Hardaway

Grant Hill

Bob Hurley

Jonathon Bender

Tracy McGrady

Steve Francis

Magic Johnson

His name was Malik Sealy. A dear friend of my older brother. And for the record, it was not him who was driving drunk, he was hit by a drunk driver travelling down the wrong side of the highway after leaving Kevin Garnett's B'day party. Tragedy indeed, but misinformation can taint a person's legend, which is all they have left after they pass away. Just wanted to clarify that he was a victim of vehicular manslaughter.

I would also add Drazen Petrovic who also died in a car accident, who was one of the pioneers who paved the way for European players like Toni Kukoc, Dirk Nowitski, and other European NBA champions to come to the NBA.

I would also add Len Bias

Heatcheck
12-20-2011, 01:49 PM
Bernard King's short lived career!!!

if im not mistaken he had a hof career, and was great even after knee surgery

Big2win
12-20-2011, 01:49 PM
As well as:

Hank Gathers
Reggie Lewis
Earl "The Goat" Manigult

Heatcheck
12-20-2011, 01:53 PM
My god, it's been done and over with for a while. As a fellow Bulls fan, you embarrass me. LeBron clearly isn't the greatest talent that never was. He is one of the greatest players ever and he will win a championship. So, what he did against the Celtics and our Bulls was something a "Choke Artist" would do? He had 1 bad series in the finals. He dominated everything else and he took a garbage Cavs team to the finals by himself.

Greatest talent that never was.. right....

So please, take the ignorant blind hate that just makes Bulls fans look dumber in general somewhere else. You SURE AS HELL wouldn't mind seeing LeBron and Rose team up and be a ridiculous duo that wins championships, don't even deny that.

exactly, its not like he could have been tired from playing and defending 4-5 positions every night to make up for a top heavy roster in its first year
And spending the last couple minutes of the bulls series gaurding the quickest player in the league whom i personally saw blow by every double and triple team sent his way the entire playoffs.

but then again what can i expect from someone sitting behind a computer calling another grown man he's never met, a *****.

Heatcheck
12-20-2011, 01:55 PM
As well as:

Hank Gathers
Reggie Lewis
Earl "The Goat" Manigult

im curious to know how many people here have actually seen this guy play. i know the NY basketball scene is very competitive, but im sure if marbury or someone like that never made it pro, with his skill set and athletic ability, theyd be saying the same thing

Raps18-19 Champ
12-20-2011, 01:56 PM
Derrick Coleman and Rasheed Wallace both had the potential to be a top 10 PF.

ball4reel
12-20-2011, 01:57 PM
Micheal Ray Richardson

clarencebizby
12-20-2011, 02:02 PM
Jimmy Chipwood

GhostfaceDrilla
12-20-2011, 02:03 PM
Me

stop40
12-20-2011, 02:04 PM
Can't see how it's anyone except len bias, but excluding death I would say jay williams of duke and bulls fame. Ton of potentials robbed by a dumb*** motorcycle le accident.

UPRock
12-20-2011, 02:06 PM
Tracy McGrady.

shinjirod
12-20-2011, 02:08 PM
Manigault, then Bias.

Kashmir13579
12-20-2011, 02:12 PM
T-Mac.

Leach11
12-20-2011, 02:12 PM
Earl Manigault. The guy could have been one of the greatest of all time. He reportedly had a 54" vertical back in the 1960's and was a lights out shooter...only other person who comes close is Len Bias.

DeyAce
12-20-2011, 02:18 PM
Roy

Leach11
12-20-2011, 02:19 PM
im curious to know how many people here have actually seen this guy play. i know the NY basketball scene is very competitive, but im sure if marbury or someone like that never made it pro, with his skill set and athletic ability, theyd be saying the same thing

Read the book The City Game: Basketball from the Garden to the Playgrounds by Pete Axthelm if you haven't. The book is primarily about the 1969-1970 New York Knicks, but there is also a whole chapter on Earl Manigault that talks about how good he actually was. It's a great read.

72 Wins
12-20-2011, 02:24 PM

Ronnie Fields

Was just about to post this. They were awesome together in the Chicago Public League. I believe he woulda went to DePaul or might have went straight to the NBA. Scouts believed he would be the better talent between him and Garnett.

LOL! Ronnie Fields is not dead. He sustained a pretty bad neck injury and never was the same after that. He was projected by some to be a better talent then Garnett IIRC. After playing in Europe/Asia/etc, he came back to the CBA in 2008. Not sure what he's doing these days since the CBA is now done. Article from Slam on him from last year:

http://www.slamonline.com/online/college-hs/high-school/2010/03/catching-up-with-ronnie-fields/

the avenger
12-20-2011, 02:33 PM
Hank Gathers

Len Bias

Derrick Coleman

Chris Webber

Grant Hill

Penny Hardaway

Alonzo Mourning

Tracy McGrady

Heatcheck
12-20-2011, 02:38 PM
Read the book The City Game: Basketball from the Garden to the Playgrounds by Pete Axthelm if you haven't. The book is primarily about the 1969-1970 New York Knights, but there is also a whole chapter on Earl Manigault that talks about how good he actually was. It's a great read.

will do. thnx

TylerSL
12-20-2011, 02:42 PM
Greg Oden

bagwell368
12-20-2011, 02:42 PM
I don't think you know anything about him...he didn't make it to the nba until his late 20s (from the aba where he tore it up) and had to retire from the nba after something like 7 seasons because of knee problems

He made the NBA at age 27 (because he had been in the ABA since age 25). He played 35-40 MPG from age 27 through age 31 in the NBA. His aura and myth always exceeded the guy I saw on the floor. I saw Dr. J in the Cage in college and I don't want to hear anything about Hawkins being an all time great. He would have done better in the ESPN highlight era, but, in the meat and potatoes 70's he was too in love with his own offense to be of any great use. He was a good passer when he felt like it.

Heatcheck
12-20-2011, 02:46 PM
Hank Gathers

Len Bias

Derrick Coleman

Chris Webber

Grant Hill

Penny Hardaway

Alonzo Mourning

Tracy McGrady

Zo had a pretty decent career, i know he missed one or two of his best years with the illness, but its not like he had all this talent that never came to fruition. If anything he might have missed out on a championship in his prime. But he didnt have the talent that the rest of these guys had. if anything i think he overachieved because of his work ethic.

Fred
12-20-2011, 03:17 PM
I can't believe you all missed this one: Shawn Bradley

7' 6", 235 lbs (just for reference, 5 inches taller and 70 pounds lighter than Shaq), but this guy was drafted because of his athleticism and HE COULD DRIBBLE!!!! He REEKED of talent!!!!

Seriously though, I would love to have seen Len Bias play in the NBA for a long while....

72 Wins
12-20-2011, 03:20 PM
Kenny Anderson anyone? Decent NBA career, but I thought he was going to be STUD PG.

nyKnicks126
12-20-2011, 03:21 PM
Darius Miles.

lavell12
12-20-2011, 03:27 PM
Big Country Reeves...

72 Wins
12-20-2011, 03:31 PM
Big Country Reeves...

Pretty sure we all thought he was gonna be a bust. haha

Muttman73
12-20-2011, 03:58 PM
Len Bias, who was the guy drafted ahead of Jordan, Brad Daugherty?

smiddy012
12-20-2011, 04:05 PM
Shaq. Most others that came to mind were mentioned.

Was a top 5 player all time if it weren't for other priorities of his. Imagine if he had the will & discipline to win like a MJ/Kobe/Bird/Magic throughout his career. Even he will admit he wasted potential.

Hellcrooner
Maurice Stokes, Alex groza, reggie Harding, Dave Stalworth, the goat manigault.

Wiki them, sad sad sad historys as they come.

mightybosstone
I personally think Bill Walton is a better answer to this question than Len Bias. A lot of talented college players don't translate well at the NBA level, whereas Walton was one of the greatest college players of all time and was a freaking MVP and Finals MVP in his first four seasons in the league. He might be a top 5 all-time center and a top 10 all-time player if injuries didn't plague him after that fourth season...

Hellcrooner
12-20-2011, 04:06 PM
Len Bias, who was the guy drafted ahead of Jordan, Brad Daugherty?

Sam Bowie...his story is not overly dramatic, injurys made him be a correct starter 15/9 type of dude isntead of an allstar.

CavsYanksDuke
12-20-2011, 04:11 PM
Honestly, it's Grant Hill and it's not even close. Second, for me, is Jay Williams just because of my Dukeness. But seriously, Grant Hill was the next Jordan.

Hellcrooner
12-20-2011, 04:12 PM
Maurice Stokes, Alex groza, reggie Harding, Dave Stalworth, the goat manigault.

Wiki them, sad sad sad historys as they come.

Add ricky berry, roy tarpley, dratzn petrovic to the list.

Aust
12-20-2011, 04:19 PM
As soon as I read this thread's title I immediantly thought Len Bias. I knew his name would be plastered throughout.

Nica
12-20-2011, 04:20 PM
Earl Manigault- hands down. If Kareem says you are the greatest player he had ever seen then thats good enough in my book. Good movie with a very cool Don Cheadle in the lead.

Imagine Arvydas Sabonis in his prime- he would have been a monster in the NBA. Physically one of the few men who could have dealt with Shaq's bruising post game.

eugene
12-20-2011, 04:21 PM
penny, hill, kemp...

sep11ie
12-20-2011, 04:25 PM
Ming Yao

Hellcrooner
12-20-2011, 04:30 PM
Earl Manigault- hands down. If Kareem says you are the greatest player he had ever seen then thats good enough in my book. Good movie with a very cool Don Cheadle in the lead.

Imagine Arvydas Sabonis in his prime- he would have been a monster in the NBA. Physically one of the few men who could have dealt with Shaq's bruising post game.

sabonis in his prime, and if he had never injured his knees woudl have meant some rings for blazers in the lat 80s and early 90s.

Big2win
12-20-2011, 04:37 PM
LOL! Ronnie Fields is not dead. He sustained a pretty bad neck injury and never was the same after that. He was projected by some to be a better talent then Garnett IIRC. After playing in Europe/Asia/etc, he came back to the CBA in 2008. Not sure what he's doing these days since the CBA is now done. Article from Slam on him from last year:

http://www.slamonline.com/online/college-hs/high-school/2010/03/catching-up-with-ronnie-fields/

Not Ronnie Fields the post was referring to, its Malik Sealy.

Rocketsfan85
12-20-2011, 04:52 PM
Penny Hardaway
Grant Hill
Dujuan Wagner
Jay Williams

harlequin018
12-20-2011, 04:59 PM
How is it not Greg Oden by a mile. He was the first pick in a loaded draft and has played 82 games in four years. The guy taken behind him is top 3 for the best player on the planet. Someone said Grant Hill, who's very talented, but the dude played some solid basketball (and even won a ROY) so I can hardly classify him as a "never was". Sam Bowie and Joe Smith maybe, but those guys at least were serviceable players in the league unlike Oden, who's more fragile than the peace in Mozambique (I'm co-reading cnn.com, what?).

Corey
12-20-2011, 05:03 PM

You/they are mixing up stories. Malik Sealy was KGs best friend, and he died on his birthday in a car accident.

jayjay16
12-20-2011, 05:06 PM
Clark Kellogg due to injuries, Chris Washburn,Reggie Lewis due to untimely death, Harold Miner and Dennis Hopson.

bobbyw
12-20-2011, 05:10 PM
It is a pity to see Brandon roy retire at such an early age. Also Greg oden looks like his career won't last (a future great who never will be). Man, those Trailblazers have rotten luck. :violin:

WeBallin
12-20-2011, 05:17 PM
Pee Wee Kirkland the Greatest ever!

TrippKingz
12-20-2011, 05:18 PM
Add ricky berry, roy tarpley, dratzn petrovic to the list.

This guy was an assassin. Outside of Bias, he gets my vote.

THE MTL
12-20-2011, 05:31 PM
I dont think this thread is aiming at people who were injured. Just amazing players who just couldnt figure it out.

So guys like: Stephon Marbury, Danny Granger (basketball IQ), etc

Hangtime
12-20-2011, 05:55 PM
Has anybody mentioned Arvydis Sabonis? This guy was unbelievable before the injury and was past his prime by the time he got to the NBA. Could have been incredible to watch.

jruGGes
12-20-2011, 06:08 PM
I'm gonna throw my bid in and say Grant Hill, the first, *Next MJ.

72 Wins
12-20-2011, 08:48 PM
Yep, you're right. Big mixup when the response to the first post mentioned Fields. Fields was indeed sick.

You/they are mixing up stories. Malik Sealy was KGs best friend, and he died on his birthday in a car accident.

iFYouSeekAmy
12-20-2011, 09:22 PM
Demetrius "Hook" Mitchell & Pistol Pete Maravich

This.

The dude was 5'9 and was considered the best. He grew up playing with Jason Kidd, Payton, Brian Shaw, Drew Gooden, and Antonio Davis. They all claimed that he was the best streetballer in Oakland.

Too bad he never had an NBA career.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhqYikRQ0LA
Lol. Him dunking over a car.

cp3fan123
12-20-2011, 09:45 PM
Drazen Petrovic is at the top of my list. Sad he died so young.

NSJ
12-20-2011, 11:48 PM
Chris Herren..not at the top of the list but could be on there.

FriedTofuz
12-21-2011, 12:21 AM
michael jordan

Heatcheck
12-21-2011, 12:51 AM

IDK, If Jordan and Zeke are any indication of the ability of greats to judge talent, he might not have been very good after all.

I would have loved to see Sabonis in his prime though.

thekmp211
12-21-2011, 01:19 AM
the nba would have just been better with a healthy brandon roy. i hate that of all the guys (not that i wish it on anyone) in the league, he was doomed by poor health.

lots of other good names on here.

THE GIPPER
12-21-2011, 01:28 AM
Vince Carter imo. Yes he was half man half amazing but he could have been so much better. He had the physical skills and talent to be what Kobe Bryant became or possibly even better but, he just didnt have the mental toughness.

Ill21
12-21-2011, 01:36 AM
Len Bias. R.i.p

C_A_S_H
12-21-2011, 01:55 AM
Jay Williams
Chicago Fans Should Agree With Me On That

Mr.B
12-21-2011, 02:36 AM
Not Ronnie Fields the post was referring to, its Malik Sealy.

Drazen Petrovic, Sabonis, and Roy Tarpley get my vote. I heard Reggie Miller say the other day on NBA tv that Petrovic was the best shooter in NBA history in his opinion (he said better than Ray Allen). I would have loved to have seen Sabonis in his prime. Not sure why he never wanted to play in the NBA while he was in his prime. I've heard Donnie Nelson say that he was the best big man he has ever seen. As for Roy Tarpley, that man was a BEAST in the paint (on offense and defense). He actually could have been the best Maverick of all time in my opinion instead of Dirk. He just couldn't stay off the coke. He was probably the biggest waist of talent in my opinion. Petrovic died too young and Sabonis actually had a great career in Europe before playing in the NBA. Tarpley just snorted his career away.

thekmp211
12-21-2011, 02:37 AM
Jay Williams
Chicago Fans Should Agree With Me On That

wow i forgot about jay. definitely. looks like he really rebounded with his ncaa gig, good for him.

Piercefan34
12-21-2011, 02:47 AM
yeah i think the literal answer to this is len bias. putting my bias aside (see what i did there?) he was said to be the next jordan and he didnt get a chance to play a game. all these other guys had their shot.

James Dolan
12-21-2011, 03:20 AM
Eddy Curry. Jerome James. Randolph Morris.

Raph12
12-21-2011, 04:27 AM
Vince Carter, Lamar Odom and Tracy McGrady come to mind right off the bat.

jfree31
12-21-2011, 12:01 PM
doubting the "greatest" but plenty of hype all over ED O'BANNON. I know yall remember him, didnt do squat in NBA. Don't know if Harold Arcineaux ever made it or even got drafted as well either. Len Bias for obvious reason, he never got to play an NBA game, think thats what this thread is about.nor was SUPPOSED TO BE. plenty of players that made it, and actually played and got hurt and so forth, but when youre compared to the GOAT's and die before you get to prove it, think that makes you #1 on the list. Also saw someone call out the BOston franchise, cuz of Bias, reggie Lewis, and now Jeff Green. what are they doing to these guys once they become part of the team?????????????????????????