PDA

View Full Version : Arron Afflalo Taking Denver to the Cleaners?

MFFL==FML
12-20-2011, 03:09 AM
Arron Affalo accepted a 5 year deal where he will be making $8.6 mil on average each year. Is he worth this kind of money in your opinion? If not, how much is he worth?

Chacarron
12-20-2011, 03:10 AM
There is a thread already about this I believe.

MFFL==FML
12-20-2011, 03:12 AM
There is a thread already about this I believe.

Naw,the thread that was made was just saying he accepted the deal. I'm wanting to know if people think he is overpaid, and if so, how much is he worth.

BallIsAll
12-20-2011, 03:12 AM
i think thats just right.

Cal827
12-20-2011, 03:14 AM
Afflolo

Overpaid, but his numbers should be better since there's nobody else on that team right now that would take points from him (JR)

Vincent
12-20-2011, 03:16 AM
I think he's paid appropriately. He does a lot of things on the court, and is very very efficient in a lot of aspects of the game.

I think he'll be very good this year.

BallIsAll
12-20-2011, 03:19 AM
Afflolo

Overpaid, but his numbers should be better since there's nobody else on that team right now that would take points from him (JR)

its afflalo, hes upped his scoring average by 4 every year since his rookie year. hes the most efficient guard in the league right now. he is one of the best defensive guards in the league. he has shown he can hit clutch shots. and no one took points away from him hes just not a selfish player.

Rapsjaysleafs
12-20-2011, 03:23 AM
I believe it is a double edged sword

Yes I believe he is over payed,
But I think any team would be lucky to have him

That is the market for a player that does everything right. I think it is to much, but it had to be done.

Cal827
12-20-2011, 03:26 AM
your an idiot.

its afflalo, hes upped his scoring average by 4 every year since his rookie year. hes the most efficient guard in the league right now. he is one of the best defensive guards in the league. he has shown he can hit clutch shots. and no one took points away from him hes just not a selfish player.

If you see half of the stuff I've posted in the past bit, I AGREE :D:D:D

So what's wrong with what I said though. I said he seems a bit overpaid, but his scoring will go up without JR Smith Chucking up about 93,294 shots per game. I mean I know he was a good defender, ain't that a given :D Him and Lawson should see improvement in their offensive games. We don't need to fight man, with Pau George god like status at 6-10 and Deandre Jordans preseason dominance, it aint long until we are all preparing for WW3 from North Korea in G7 of a Pacers-Clippers final.

Also it's you're, as in You Are :D

Raps08-09 Champ
12-20-2011, 03:29 AM
He's already in his prime. I don't really see him improving much. So no.

MFFL==FML
12-20-2011, 03:29 AM
I just don't really see the difference between Afflalo and Francisco Garcia or DeShawn Stevenson.

I love Arron Afflalo, but I think he is worth about 5 mil a year tops.

BallIsAll
12-20-2011, 03:33 AM
I just don't really see the difference between Afflalo and Francisco Garcia or DeShawn Stevenson.

Work ethic, better shooting percentage, better man to man defense, age, consistent improvement throughout all of his averages, leadership, discipline.

This year he'll show his ability to score because unless people on this board don't see 20ppg the player is not a good scorer.

BallIsAll
12-20-2011, 03:34 AM

So what's wrong with what I said though. I said he seems a bit overpaid, but his scoring will go up without JR Smith Chucking up about 93,294 shots per game. I mean I know he was a good defender, ain't that a given :D Him and Lawson should see improvement in their offensive games. We don't need to fight man, with Pau George god like status at 6-10 and Deandre Jordans preseason dominance, it aint long until we are all preparing for WW3 from North Korea in G7 of a Pacers-Clippers final.

I'm sorry i didnt mean to call you an idiot, and yes i saw your other posts. Pretty funny actually.

Cal827
12-20-2011, 03:52 AM
I'm sorry i didnt mean to call you an idiot, and yes i saw your other posts. Pretty funny actually.

No worries man, I don't take this forum too seriously anyways, hell tomorrow I'm probably going to go bait some Bull fans for S*its and giggles :D... I just think he might be a slight overpayment to start, but in the end, there's a good chance that he develops into a player more valuable than the deal. The question only gives yes or hell no though. If we want to talk taking people to the cleaners, we should talk Chandler, but luckily Novak saves everyone.

ombada
12-20-2011, 04:27 AM

I am a Pacers fan and this comment just made me jizz my pants. i know it was sarcastic... just let me have my moment.

MackShock
12-20-2011, 04:34 AM
totally worth it. legit 2 guard with great defense, decent three point shot. quality minutes..trade JR's punkass once he gets back.

Raph12
12-20-2011, 04:35 AM
Overrated, he's a spotup shooter on offense and a above-avg (yet undersized) defender on defense... $5M MLE at best.

MTar786
12-20-2011, 04:42 AM
i think he sould have been offered 7.5 a year. that would have been a fair deal for both sides. but he used the fact that lots of teams wanted him and the situation denver was in as leverage to get himself an extra 1.1

JEDean89
12-20-2011, 05:10 AM
nuggets had to get to the floor anyway. with players like lawson, gallo, mozgov, koufos, faried, hamilton, stone and a few others still on their rookie contract it is okay to pay an extra couple mil a year to nene and afflalo. the point is that he will be 31 by the time this deal is done and i frankly think that by then we will be saying that he is the greatest steal on the nuggs at 8.6. defenders rarely get paid but he is more than that. is usage rating was like 12% and he averaged 12 ppg. get a few more possessions each game and he will be a 15ppg guy. he is also a pro's pro and a great teammate.

12-20-2011, 05:11 AM

Thats ok, but i think if you watched a little bit more of denver nuggets bball, or just afflolo, then you'd know afflolo is more than just a shooter off the bench. He plays the most minutes on his team, and was arguably the most important player on the nuggets team, even during the 18-7 run after the melo trade

12-20-2011, 05:13 AM
Overrated, he's a spotup shooter on offense and a above-avg (yet undersized) defender on defense... $5M MLE at best.

hahaha

DenButsu
12-20-2011, 10:08 AM

http://www.39dollarglasses.com/

ManRam
12-20-2011, 10:15 AM

You seriously can't see the difference between those guys :laugh:

He's paid appropriately. Great defender and amazingly efficient and smart on offense.

theheatles
12-20-2011, 10:28 AM
i wanted to say no but i'd take afflalo for this price over stevenson for the vet min

justinnum1
12-20-2011, 10:38 AM
paid right

imagesrdecievin
12-20-2011, 10:42 AM
It seems a tad high. I can't help but worry that Afflalo will wind up like Courtney Lee - a very nice player who just can't take the step to the next level of impact player.

He will never be a bum like Eddy Curry - but is he going to wind up being an 8 million dollar role player?

waveycrockett
12-20-2011, 10:58 AM
Nuggets management is terrible. First trading Felton for Andre Miller then Handing out these bloated deals to Nene and Afflalo is beyond me. They are spending like they are contending for something over there. 8.6 MM is about right for him but for 5 years? That is pure idiocy.

nycericanguy
12-20-2011, 11:07 AM
What makes this an even worse deal to me is that Lawson, Gallo & Chandler are all going to be FA's soon. So DEN has set a pretty high precedence here. I imagine they will keep Gallo & Lawson out of that group and will have to pay each $10-12m. Already with Nene & AA DEN is looking at about $25m tied up, add in Gallo & Lawson next year and they will be close to $50m for 4 players, none of which you can really consider a franchise player.

With rookie contracts and filling out the roster that just might be it for DEN.

RLundi
12-20-2011, 11:55 AM
He's a good player but overpaid.

Is this any surprise though? This is after all the NBA.

Rentzias
12-20-2011, 12:25 PM
What makes this an even worse deal to me is that Lawson, Gallo & Chandler are all going to be FA's soon. So DEN has set a pretty high precedence here. I imagine they will keep Gallo & Lawson out of that group and will have to pay each $10-12m. Already with Nene & AA DEN is looking at about $25m tied up, add in Gallo & Lawson next year and they will be close to $50m for 4 players, none of which you can really consider a franchise player.

With rookie contracts and filling out the roster that just might be it for DEN.
Hm. I'll take that core roster of players entering/in prime locked down for the next 5 years.

lakersrock
12-20-2011, 12:39 PM
Very good shooter, very good defender, very good teammate.

Did they overpay? Probably.

Will they get their money's worth? Probably.

nycericanguy
12-20-2011, 12:39 PM
Hm. I'll take that core roster of players entering/in prime locked down for the next 5 years.

Nene, Gallo, AA & Lawson is a solid core, just not sure you want to lock yourself into that core like that by using all your cap on them. That looks like a 6th seed out west.

When they're on rookie contracts its one thing, but if you have those guys taking up all your cap you are really limited in what else you can do.

Hellcrooner
12-20-2011, 12:42 PM
sligthly overpaid if he is a starter when the dust settles.

If he ends in the bench he will be definetly overpaid.

waveycrockett
12-20-2011, 01:23 PM
Very good shooter, very good defender, very good teammate.

Did they overpay? Probably.

Will they get their money's worth? Probably.

This year? Yeah

Over 5 years? Hell no.

PhillyFaninLA
12-20-2011, 01:32 PM
Its market value for so the deal is fine.

waveycrockett
12-20-2011, 01:55 PM
Its market value for so the deal is fine.

Lowering Market Value for middle class players like Afflalo was the purpose of the lockout.

Rentzias
12-20-2011, 01:57 PM
Nene, Gallo, AA & Lawson is a solid core, just not sure you want to lock yourself into that core like that by using all your cap on them. That looks like a 6th seed out west.

When they're on rookie contracts its one thing, but if you have those guys taking up all your cap you are really limited in what else you can do.
Four of your five starters though? They play the majority of the game and chemistry cannot be underrated.

GhostfaceDrilla
12-20-2011, 02:01 PM
your an idiot.

So Afflalo > Wade?

Mudvayne91
12-20-2011, 02:18 PM
So Afflalo > Wade?

Where did he say that?

sp1derm00
12-20-2011, 02:28 PM
Anyone else think Afflalo kinda looks like J Cole?

Rocketsfan85
12-20-2011, 02:47 PM
4-5 mil a year tops IMO

BallIsAll
12-20-2011, 04:44 PM
So Afflalo > Wade?

When did I say that?

Top 10 SGs

1. Kobe
2. Wade
3. Manu
4. E. Gordon
5. J. Johnson
6. Ellis
7. ???
8. ???
9. ???
10. ???

please don't tell me he's not in the top 10, and don't just look at PPG with guys like crawford anyone in the nba can put up 50SPG shots and 20PPG.

READ THIS. http://blogs.denverpost.com/nuggets/2011/12/20/describing-arron-afflalos-importance-to-the-nuggets/5794/

Hawkeye15
12-20-2011, 04:52 PM
I am surprised he didn't get that offer on the open market, but sure, they could have come in with a bit less. But he is an improving offensive player, and a very strong defender.

Denver will surprise a lot of people this year. With their legit 10 man rotation (hell their 2nd unit is Andre Miller, Rudy Fernandez, Corey Brewer, Al Harrington, and Chris Anderson), they will run, run, run, and in this shortened season, should win a ton of home games in the thin air when teams are coming in on 4 games in 5 nights, or the constant back to backs.

I think they can finish with a top 4 seed in the west this year, easy. They also may get back Wilson Chandler later in the season. Lawson, Afflalo, Gallinari, Mozgov, and Nene starting.

Tough team up and down.

THE MTL
12-20-2011, 05:08 PM
Look at Afflao's age and stats. He is worth it. They guy is EFFICIENT! So many times do you look at guys like Crawford and say wow he's a beast cause he can explode....but they dont do it efficiently.

Afflao is super efficient in everything he does and he is a very good fantasy player too lol

Corey
12-20-2011, 05:14 PM
I expected him to get between 6-8, so I'm not shocked.

tp13baby
12-20-2011, 05:16 PM
I will be surprised if he doesn't average 15 points and about 5 boards a game. I expect more but with a bunch of scorers on this team thats all he needs.

KG2TB
12-20-2011, 05:20 PM
Absolutely worth it. Pretty fair deal for both sides, IMO.

nycericanguy
12-20-2011, 05:40 PM
I will be surprised if he doesn't average 15 points and about 5 boards a game. I expect more but with a bunch of scorers on this team thats all he needs.

I don't know, thats literally more than DOUBLE his career average. See at his age I don't know if he has that kind of improvement left in him, he's more in his prime now.

He's very efficient, but I wonder if he were asked to take more than 7 or 9 shots per game if his efficiency would suffer.

BallIsAll
12-20-2011, 05:48 PM
I don't know, thats literally more than DOUBLE his career average. See at his age I don't know if he has that kind of improvement left in him, he's more in his prime now.

He's very efficient, but I wonder if he were asked to take more than 7 or 9 shots per game if his efficiency would suffer.

he averaged almost 13ppg last year why wouldnt he average 15 this year

nycericanguy
12-20-2011, 06:33 PM
he averaged almost 13ppg last year why wouldnt he average 15 this year

not saying he wont, just dont think you can EXPECT that, last year was a career year and he scored over 12 a game, but for his career he's at 7 and never had even a double digit ppg season prior to last.

Rentzias
12-20-2011, 06:39 PM
not saying he wont, just dont think you can EXPECT that, last year was a career year and he scored over 12 a game, but for his career he's at 7 and never had even a double digit ppg season prior to last.
Now a starter with no JR and no Melo. I think that's at least 3 ppg.

coryd238
12-20-2011, 08:09 PM
So Afflalo > Wade?

How the hell did you come to that conclusion?

llemon
12-20-2011, 08:21 PM
Damn, were any deadly weapons held to the head of the owner of the Nuggets, or were there any incriminating photos involved?

If the Nuggets owner wants to be a super-rich idiot, isn't that right guaranteed to him in the Constitution.

And to all you morons that backed the owners during the lockout..........this seems to say something to you, something like "Geez, I really didn't have any idea what I was talking about".

And of course, there are always the possibilities that Nuggets management ripped themselves off, or that is the right price for Afflalo, or DAMN, Afflalo was really a bargain, wasn't he.

Time will tell.

d nuggets fan
12-20-2011, 09:21 PM
AA's contract plainly seems high. Even as a Nuggets fan. If you evaluate him when scoring is the measure, the points fall short; but when your favorite team is playing Denver and AA not only contains your 15mil max contract (double the cost btw) shooting guard threat and drops daggers from the 3. Remember his contract only seemed high. But really isn't.

FriedTofuz
12-21-2011, 12:22 AM
he did cash into a nice payday. His defense is a main factor.

DenButsu
12-21-2011, 10:25 AM
Nuggets management is terrible. First trading Felton for Andre Miller then Handing out these bloated deals to Nene and Afflalo is beyond me. They are spending like they are contending for something over there. 8.6 MM is about right for him but for 5 years? That is pure idiocy.

You have got to be freakin kidding me.

Most thought that the Nuggets would be doomed to the lottery after the Melo trade, and now they've got a team with a bright future, a great stockpile of young assets (and, contrary to some opinions expressed in this thread, a great deal of flexibility) and a realistic chance at having HCA in the first round of the playoffs this season.

I won't call anybody a moron or anything, but anyone who thinks Masai Ujiri and the Nuggets front office hasn't done a fairly brilliant job since he took over in the summer of 2010 (when practically everyone was practically positive that Denver was totally ****ed) has a LOT to learn about what good management of a professional sports franchise looks like.

Rentzias
12-21-2011, 11:13 AM
Yikes.
Felton wanted out of Denver since Ty Lawson (who played beast last night) was getting the starting nod. Dre gets 12 assists. Yes, horrible.

A bloated deal for really one of the only free agent prizes on the market? Yeah, we'll sign Nene and let the Nets worry about putting all their eggs in the Dwight Howard basket.

Signing a 26-year-old who has improved every year of his career for five years? Yes, pure idiocy.