PDA

View Full Version : Arron Afflalo Re-signs w/ Denver

arkanian215
12-19-2011, 09:04 PM
Just going up on ESPN online: Sources say Nuggets and restricted free agent Arron Afflalo agree to five-year deal in excess of $43 millionhttps://twitter.com/#!/ESPNSteinLine/status/148926862238826496

KB-Pau-DH2012
12-19-2011, 09:08 PM
Great deal for Afflalo. The only remaining main name free agents out there are Michael Redd, Gilbert Arenas and Samuel Dalembert.

riconek
12-19-2011, 09:09 PM
Good move Denver

spreadeagle
12-19-2011, 09:11 PM
at least he aint in China

Vincent
12-19-2011, 09:12 PM
LOL whats that? Afflalo?

Lol Arron Afflalo

Lloyd Christmas
12-19-2011, 09:17 PM
That's a lot of money.

Punk
12-19-2011, 09:18 PM
Nice. Denver still stays well.

Lawson/Miller
Affalo/Fernandez
Hamilton/Brewer
Nene/Faried
Mozgov/Anderson/Kofus

ManRam
12-19-2011, 09:18 PM
That's a lot of money.

He's worth it...especially compared to a lot of the other contract given out this off-season...

nycericanguy
12-19-2011, 09:19 PM
wow... never would have thought he would get anywhere near that.

IMO not a good move for DEN. If they gave AA that much, how much are Lawson, Gall & Chandler going to ask for now?

Gallo & Lawson are going to want at least $10m per now, Nene is making a ton of money now too... they have to be careful not to lock themselves into being a solid team that cant contend.

nycericanguy
12-19-2011, 09:20 PM
He's worth it...especially compared to a lot of the other contract given out this off-season...

i actually think most contracts this year have been very reasonable except for the centers and STuckey

Wade>You
12-19-2011, 09:25 PM
These owners that claim they are losing money sure are trigger happy when it comes to spending.

ManRam
12-19-2011, 09:27 PM
i actually think most contracts this year have been very reasonable except for the centers and STuckey

Yeah. I just think it's a really fair one. Butler got 8 a year, Arron is getting just under 9. Thornton is getting about 8 too.

Not a ton to compare it too...but I think it's good. A lot of money, but well worth it.

nycericanguy
12-19-2011, 09:27 PM
These owners that claim they are losing money sure are trigger happy when it comes to spending.

yea i mean dont get me wrong, I like AA alot, he's a real solid two way player. But $9m per for a career 7ppg scorer? And he's not that young anymore, in the NBA at 27 you don't usually see guys improve much after that.

Def surprising.

Punk
12-19-2011, 09:31 PM
He's a defender. By now, I hope people understand defensive role players that fit in anywhere will get overpaid.

DenButsu
12-19-2011, 09:31 PM
Do people saying he's not worth it even realize he had the highest TS% of all shooting guards in the NBA last season? He's incredibly efficient, one of the hardest working players (and best team guys) in the NBA, plays tough defense, and still has plenty of room for improvement.

This is a really fair deal for both parties, imo.

DenButsu
12-19-2011, 09:32 PM

Lawson/Miller
Affalo/Fernandez
_______/ Hamilton/Brewer
Nene/Faried
Mozgov/Anderson/Kofus

Missed someone. :cool:

ManRam
12-19-2011, 09:37 PM
He's a defender. By now, I hope people understand defensive role players that fit in anywhere will get overpaid.

You're selling him way too short on offense...

Lloyd Christmas
12-19-2011, 09:40 PM
Do people saying he's not worth it even realize he had the highest TS% of all shooting guards in the NBA last season? He's incredibly efficient, one of the hardest working players (and best team guys) in the NBA, plays tough defense, and still has plenty of room for improvement.

This is a really fair deal for both parties, imo.

Yeah I just view him as a Battier type player and Battier has never made more then 6.8 mil. 9 per year just seems like a lot of money for him. I really like him though.

BallIsAll
12-19-2011, 09:46 PM
yea i mean dont get me wrong, I like AA alot, he's a real solid two way player. But $9m per for a career 7ppg scorer? And he's not that young anymore, in the NBA at 27 you don't usually see guys improve much after that.

Def surprising.

Year Team G GS MPG FG% 3P% FT% OFF DEF RPG APG SPG BPG TO PF PPG

10-11 DEN 69 69 33.7 0.498 0.423 0.847 0.7 3.0 3.6 2.4 0.5 0.4 1.03 2.22 12.6

Top 10 SG in the league best guard defender and progressing in offense every year. Lead the league in TS% last year. Extremely durable, want me to keep going?

phlp_bj
12-19-2011, 09:47 PM

gallo duhh

mavwar53
12-19-2011, 09:48 PM

Def surprising.

Exactly my thoughts, that type of money is for the 3rd or 4th best player on the team, not a very good defensive presence. The Nuggets way overpaid.

Bulls_fan90
12-19-2011, 10:03 PM
Love the Nuggets team. Who needs Melo.

Vincent
12-19-2011, 10:53 PM
Exactly my thoughts, that type of money is for the 3rd or 4th best player on the team, not a very good defensive presence. The Nuggets way overpaid.

Afflalo can be that 3rd/4th best player, and he'll probably be the 2nd best player on that team this year.

He's a very good defender, so I'm not sure how you're evaluating players.

Khalifa21
12-19-2011, 11:30 PM
Year Team G GS MPG FG% 3P% FT% OFF DEF RPG APG SPG BPG TO PF PPG

10-11 DEN 69 69 33.7 0.498 0.423 0.847 0.7 3.0 3.6 2.4 0.5 0.4 1.03 2.22 12.6

Top 10 SG in the league best guard defender and progressing in offense every year. Lead the league in TS% last year. Extremely durable, want me to keep going?

Woah, pump ya brakes...

Dude got paid, just under $9m per.. Solid player, always liked him. I would've had him around $7-8m at the beginning of the FA period so I don't think Denver overpaid too much. Nuggets had to retain him, overall solid deal on both sides.

MonroeFAN
12-19-2011, 11:33 PM
9 million dollars a season?

:confused:

I like AA (We drafted him), but good god that's a lot of money for him.

Who cares about TS%? Ask him to take more than 9 field goals per game and see what happens. I won't even comment on the 'top 10 SG' non-sense.

Mudvayne91
12-19-2011, 11:55 PM

Well, in my opinion, he fits the category of top 4 player on the team and he is actually a very good defender. That's his specialty. This guy is one of the core pieces to the team.

Sure, I would've liked to get him a bit smaller salary, but we needed to get him in.

Who cares about TS%? Ask him to take more than 9 field goals per game and see what happens. I won't even comment on the 'top 10 SG' non-sense.

He took 10+ shots quite often last year scoring in the 20s and 30s numerous times..... And I definitely think he could be a top ten SG, especially considering his defense. Needs to continue what he's done the last two years with some minor improvements.

12-19-2011, 11:57 PM

Who cares about TS%? :facepalm: You are a moron, I would also be confused if my team gave him garbage minutes. If you look at the stats, he is so efficient at his position. .500 fg, .850 ft, .425 3fg, in under 34 minutes a game. !!!!!

This is funny coming a fan of detroit, a team that gave s** loads of money to ben gordon and charlie V......... AAA at this point would be your best player, too bad you gave him away to denver for nothing, now the nuggets are reaping the benifits for little over 8 mill a year :clap:

MonroeFAN
12-20-2011, 12:02 AM
lol, I'm a moron? I just said ask him to take more than 9 FG's per game and see what happens. I'm not saying that TS is a meaningless stat, but it's not as if he's putting up 20 points per game on those percentages, he's putting up 12. With 12-15 shots a game, I guarantee he won't lead the league in anything. AA is a good player, you just paid him like he was an all star. He scored in single digits 20+ times last season, out of 69 games. Nearly 33% of his games.

I'm not defending the Pistons off-season moves from 09, they were idiotic, and yes, giving up AA for nothing was stupid as well. But at least we don't have to pay him 9 million a season now. Two wrongs don't make a right.

Now quit crying. And don't ever call me a moron again.

MonroeFAN
12-20-2011, 12:17 AM
gotta reap them 'benifits' dawg

JEDean89
12-20-2011, 12:26 AM

Lawson/Miller
Affalo/Fernandez
Hamilton/Brewer
Nene/Faried
Mozgov/Anderson/Kofus

no way hamilton starts over Gallo.

12-20-2011, 12:30 AM
I'm not saying that TS is a meaningless stat But you did say who cares about TS%. People who understand basketball care about TS%

AA is a good player, you just paid him like he was an all star.

Oh really? can u tell me other all stars atm who are getting payed 8-9 million dollars a year, not including players on their rookie contracts?? I don't think we payed him like an all star
I'll admit, 8.6 million a year is a lot of money for anyone, but for AAA it is a good price to keep him.

Mudvayne91
12-20-2011, 12:46 AM

This guy? http://stacktv.stack.com/images/persons/ExpertImg124.png

BallIsAll
12-20-2011, 12:59 AM

Woah, pump ya brakes...

Dude got paid, just under $9m per.. Solid player, always liked him. I would've had him around $7-8m at the beginning of the FA period so I don't think Denver overpaid too much. Nuggets had to retain him, overall solid deal on both sides.

Please name 10 SGs better than him.

AddiX
12-20-2011, 01:06 AM
AA is a balled, good price for him IMO. He doesmt have the hype of a lot of players on his level, but he can really play.

Khalifa21
12-20-2011, 09:23 AM
Please name 10 SGs better than him.

Dwyane Wade
Kobe Bryant
Manu Ginobili
Joe Johnson
Monta Ellis
Kevin Martin
Ray Allen
Eric Gordon
James Harden
Jason Terry
Tyreke Evans
Stephen Jackson

Then you've got Jason Richardson, Jamal Crawford, Nick Young, DeMar DeRozan, Wesley Matthews

He's in that group.. So I'd say he's around top 17/18.

DenButsu
12-20-2011, 10:06 AM
I can kind of understand the perception outside of Nuggetsville among some that Afflalo is getting overpaid.

But let's consider a few things.

1) Most casual NBA fans really haven't watched him play much, and really don't know who he is.

2) That being the case, anyone looking at his per game stats could easily assume that he's a below average SG based on his numbers.

3) The Nuggets are now a very unconventional team (the closest comparison, as a model, is probably the 2004 Pistons; a well balanced team without any true stars).

I can't keep going on with that (although I could), but the point is that to a team like the Lakers or the Heat which has a Kobe or a Wade, this would seem like a ridiculous contract. But in the context of how the Nuggets are building in the post-Melo era, needing some glue, some efficiency, some leadership, an some stability holding the foundation down between Ty Lawson and Nene, it makes all the sense in the world.

You'll see.

bbcmillionaire
12-20-2011, 10:24 AM
=( damn that's our sg... We want affalo.. Lol yea but thats a decent amount compared to the other contracts given out this free agency. Not only did he earn every penny, he will go out there and continue to earn that payday.

IBleedPurple
12-20-2011, 08:27 PM
wow... never would have thought he would get anywhere near that.

IMO not a good move for DEN. If they gave AA that much, how much are Lawson, Gall & Chandler going to ask for now?

Gallo & Lawson are going to want at least $10m per now, Nene is making a ton of money now too... they have to be careful not to lock themselves into being a solid team that cant contend.

Afflalo is more valuable than Gallo IMO

You obviously have not watched Afflalo

llemon
12-20-2011, 08:36 PM
I can kind of understand the perception outside of Nuggetsville among some that Afflalo is getting overpaid.

But let's consider a few things.

1) Most casual NBA fans really haven't watched him play much, and really don't know who he is.

2) That being the case, anyone looking at his per game stats could easily assume that he's a below average SG based on his numbers.

3) The Nuggets are now a very unconventional team (the closest comparison, as a model, is probably the 2004 Pistons; a well balanced team without any true stars).

I can't keep going on with that (although I could), but the point is that to a team like the Lakers or the Heat which has a Kobe or a Wade, this would seem like a ridiculous contract. But in the context of how the Nuggets are building in the post-Melo era, needing some glue, some efficiency, some leadership, an some stability holding the foundation down between Ty Lawson and Nene, it makes all the sense in the world.

You'll see.

PUH-LEEEEESE. Where does the casual fan fit into this situation?

DenButsu
12-20-2011, 08:58 PM
PUH-LEEEEESE. Where does the casual fan fit into this situation?

Well, the casual Nuggets fan should simply enjoy the team winning more games.

And if "casual" NBA fans take it seriously enough to care whether Afflalo makes $6 or $8 million, perhaps they should take it seriously enough to understand things like efficiency, too.

GeekInThePink
12-20-2011, 09:09 PM
Solid signing, I'd give him $10 mil p/y max, so good signing.