PDA

View Full Version : Big Baby Literally Pays the Celtics to Stay Out of Shape

Tony_Starks
12-19-2011, 05:23 PM
This is the definition of a horrible work ethic. You have a clause in your contract were YOU actually have to shell out money if you can't maintain you're weight and you still screw it up. And its not like he doesn't have access to the best trainers and chefs in the world. He just didn't care. AND it was a contract year to boot! I can't believe they put up with his bs for as long as they did........

“You have wonder what was going on inside his head. He had a weight clause in his contract and he had to keep a certain weight. You take a picture of Big Baby from November to April and it’s pretty startling. … So what that tells me is, he had this weight clause and he kept missing it and he kept paying them out, fine after fine after fine. He drove them crazy over there, there’s no question about it.

“Shaq had some insight to that, they considered him somewhat of a selfish player trying to get his numbers in his free agent year. Clearly he did not live up the conditioning rules and regulations that they set for him

http://www.redsarmy.com/home/2011/11/jackie-mac-on-baby-he-drove-the-celtics-crazy.html

MacFitz92
12-19-2011, 05:26 PM
I can't really judge the situation because he might "be in shape" at a weight higher than what their expectations were.

noodle
12-19-2011, 05:27 PM
Somewhere eddy curry is smiling.

Tony_Starks
12-19-2011, 05:31 PM

Even Curry had enough sense to stay in reasonable shape and shut up and play until he got the big payday. What this guy did is ********....

Lake_Show2416
12-19-2011, 05:35 PM
Big Baby is a dam good player, over weight or not

ManRam
12-19-2011, 05:40 PM
Seems like Boston fans are glad he's gone and glad to have Bass.

Seems like Magic fans are glad to have Bass gone and glad to have Baby.

He's a big dude. Maybe his optimal weight is higher than what Boston wanted. What do they want him to be, a toothpick? He needs his girth to be successful at his height. It's not like it's slowing him down...

Bass struggled to get playing time his first year in Orlando because he couldn't play defense. He still couldn't play defense last year, but he tried a little harder. He's also a human black hole on offense. Boston can afford and even needs that more than we do. Instead, we get Baby who has been saying all the right things, been probably the best veteran in terms of leadership since he's gotten here and seems to be trying the hardest to keep this team cohesive. He's been preaching an idea of "family" both on and off the court. He's been giving the rookies team-building homework assignments. He's being trying to change the culture to something more prone to winning.

Both teams win here...and I don't think Baby's weight has really ever hindered his play. But then again, who am I to be certain of that?

NSJ
12-19-2011, 05:48 PM
The only time baby's weight affected his play was when he was getting stuff by the rim tryin to get his fat *** off the floor to dunk it. It also didn't help his cause when he would attempt to rip a board. People in Orlando are going to like him and hopefully his immature attitude's diminished a little bit so it can stay that way.

AntiG
12-19-2011, 05:53 PM
As a Boston fan... loved Baby's heart and hustle on the court - can't question that - but I don't miss his lack of work ethic and terrible chucking and shot selection. I know Bass is also a "black hole" type but he's slightly more accurate and is more likely to attack the paint. The defense will take care of itself under KG's tutelage.

The real hindrance with his work ethic issues was that Baby never reached his potential in Boston. He could have been that difference maker that got the team over the top against LA when we couldn't rebound to save our lives in the 4th quarter when we went cold shooting.

5ass
12-19-2011, 05:54 PM
who cares, he moves so well for a guy his size.. very graceful, almost like a gazelle :p

Hustlenomics
12-19-2011, 05:59 PM
Orlando loses this trade by a mile, smartest move Ainge has done all summer

ManRam
12-19-2011, 06:05 PM
As a Boston fan... loved Baby's heart and hustle on the court - can't question that - but I don't miss his lack of work ethic and terrible chucking and shot selection. I know Bass is also a "black hole" type but he's slightly more accurate and is more likely to attack the paint. The defense will take care of itself under KG's tutelage.

The real hindrance with his work ethic issues was that Baby never reached his potential in Boston. He could have been that difference maker that got the team over the top against LA when we couldn't rebound to save our lives in the 4th quarter when we went cold shooting.

I think they're really similar players...slight advantage to Bass.

Bass is an amazing mid range shooter...and I mean "amazing". However, he doesn't provide much else. The thing that the Magic lack (among other things) is hustle players. We don't have a single one on our roster really. Redick gives his all 100% of the time, but that's really it. We need more hustle guys like him.

Bass is better offensively, Baby is better defensively. I really find a hard time saying that either team won this trade "by a mile"...that's just naive. I do think Bass is a slightly better player, but again, I think Baby is a better fit for the Magic.

And in terms of rebounding, Bass is really only marginally better at rebounding...by a minuscule margin.

Maybe the change of scenery will allow him to realize his potential...because like I said, he's been doing and saying all the right things...literally been described as a "breath of fresh air"

And it might be the smartest move Ainge has made all summer...because it's basically the only move he's made.

Tony_Starks
12-19-2011, 06:10 PM
Yeah I used to like his game when he was in college but I was always under the assumption he would trim down a bit and take it to another level. Especially after how he played when KG first went down. But last year he was atrocious on so many levels. Even though I hate the Celtics I remember seeing numerous games where he would just chuck it for no apparent reason and the other players would look at him like "wtf?"

Nobody is saying he had to lose 100lbs they just wanted him to maintain. If you can't maintain at that level with what they have at their disposal that is just flat out laziness....

B'sCeltsPatsSox
12-19-2011, 06:12 PM
Yeah I used to like his game when he was in college but I was always under the assumption he would trim down a bit and take it to another level. Especially after how he played when KG first went down. But last year he was atrocious on so many levels. Even though I hate the Celtics I remember seeing numerous games where he would just chuck it for no apparent reason and the other players would look at him like "wtf?"

Nobody is saying he had to lose 100lbs they just wanted him to maintain. If you can't maintain at that level with what they have at their disposal that is just flat out laziness....

It also didn't help that he gained 15 pounds of fat during last season.

dnewguy
12-19-2011, 06:12 PM
I don't understand it, how can you be a professional athlete and still gain weight? I mean doesn't he burn any calories when he works out? I am confused.

ManRam
12-19-2011, 06:14 PM
I don't understand it, how can you be a professional athlete and still gain weight? I mean doesn't he burn any calories when he works out? I am confused.

Eat a lot + bad genetics + a ton of exercise...and you still easily can gain weight. It's rare...but let's be honest, he was blessed with the chubby gene.

B'sCeltsPatsSox
12-19-2011, 06:18 PM

If you watched "The Association" on ESPN last season you would see how....

AddiX
12-19-2011, 06:21 PM
And this guy wonders why he can't shake the nickname "big baby"

What's sad is not that he had this clause in his contract and didn't follow it, what's sad is that a guy who gets paid a ton of money to do what I do for free relies on his body amd can't even dedicate himself enough to maintain a weight that is STILL considered overweight.

Geargo Wallace
12-19-2011, 06:25 PM
If you read the book Taking Shots by Keith Glass, you'd read a funny story about a contract one skinny NBAer got where he had to gain x amount of weight for each year, or the contract ended. I can't remember his ****ing name. He was on Houston, I believe.

Wade>You
12-19-2011, 06:25 PM
Eat a lot + bad genetics + a ton of exercise...and you still easily can gain weight. It's rare...but let's be honest, he was blessed with the chubby gene.I always thought his girth is what made him a good player and made up for his height disadvantage. If he played on a team that would force him to lose weight, he'd have no career in the NBA.

YoungOne
12-19-2011, 06:26 PM
bass will be better for us, thats all I'm gonna say.

Hustlenomics
12-19-2011, 06:28 PM
he's too lazy and has no heart and can't defend down low no clue why the Magic overpaid for him but I'm not complaining

AntiG
12-19-2011, 06:28 PM
I always thought his girth is what made him a good player and made up for his height disadvantage. If he played on a team that would force him to lose weight, he'd have no career in the NBA.

His frame is naturally bulky... having a muffin top doesn't help your game.

ManRam
12-19-2011, 06:29 PM
he's too lazy and has no heart and can't defend down low no clue why the Magic overpaid for him but I'm not complaining

If you think he can't defend...

And if you think he has no heart...

Enjoy Bass.

PurpleJesus
12-19-2011, 06:32 PM
typical Boston media...praise a player when they are with the team, but as soon as they leave for whatever reason, find something to bash the, about.

Geargo Wallace
12-19-2011, 06:33 PM

Enjoy Bass.

this. :clap: Bass is gonna be one of those guys from team to team for his whole career.

Hustlenomics
12-19-2011, 06:33 PM

Enjoy Bass.

i will trust me

ManRam
12-19-2011, 06:34 PM
i will trust me

You might. But it won't because of his defense or his heart :laugh:

KmB728
12-19-2011, 06:38 PM
He just wasn't in as good of shape as he should of been in Boston, now he looks to be in fantastic shape. I bet you he and Dwight will be making jokes together all season, 2 of the happiest guys I have ever seen :laugh:

Byronicle
12-19-2011, 06:38 PM
im glad he didn't lose the weight

i dont think im ready to just call him 'Baby'

Hustlenomics
12-19-2011, 06:45 PM
You might. But it won't because of his defense or his heart :laugh:

he already plays harder than big baby and its pre season and hes more athletic and wont be doing this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nYn1ZdHQ2E

Geargo Wallace
12-19-2011, 06:51 PM
he already plays harder than big baby and its pre season and hes more athletic and wont be doing this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nYn1ZdHQ2E

Bass wouldn't have been on the fast break in the first place.

ManRam
12-19-2011, 06:51 PM

Bass is a slightly better player, and better at a lot of things...but hustle and defense just aren't two of them. That's all I'm getting at...and I'd bet a million dollars most agree.

Yes, Bass won't miss a dunk one a year...you are right. He might though...

Hustlenomics
12-19-2011, 06:53 PM
Bass wouldn't have been on the fast break in the first place.

he seemed to be on the break with Rondo in pre season. It's baby that doesn't hustle http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nV1lD51Vv8

rever
12-19-2011, 06:57 PM
typical Boston media...praise a player when they are with the team, but as soon as they leave for whatever reason, find something to bash the, about.

I didnt know i was media..lol

Rivera
12-19-2011, 06:57 PM
nice now where deciding arguements about players with you tube clips with one play!!

THE NBA FORUM IS BACK?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!!!

Hustlenomics
12-19-2011, 06:59 PM
nice now where deciding arguements about players with you tube clips with one play!!

THE NBA FORUM IS BACK?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!!!

bass is ahead of him in stats too

Tony_Starks
12-19-2011, 07:00 PM

:laugh2: Man I had forgot about that! I was literally laughing out loud the way Mark Jackson said "you Big Baby!" it was like Sanford and Son "You Big Dummy!"

Raps18-19 Champ
12-19-2011, 07:04 PM
Maybe he didn't want to change his nickname.

theheatles
12-19-2011, 07:29 PM
big baby leaves and it's good riddance gtfoh

perkins leaves and it's tears and pouting

makes no sense...big baby was 5x the player perkins ever was

ModernDaySavage
12-19-2011, 07:36 PM
big baby leaves and it's good riddance gtfoh

perkins leaves and it's tears and pouting

makes no sense...big baby was 5x the player perkins ever was

Can't tell if serious.

THE MTL
12-19-2011, 08:55 PM

Eddy Curry should pay the luxury tax on his weight.
0 - 5 lbs $150
5 - 10lbs $175
10 - 15 lbs $250
Add $75 each dollar amount for every 5lb increment (THATS ALOT of money)

spreadeagle
12-19-2011, 09:02 PM
Listen his name is BIG BABY hes chubby and he cries....but he aight id take em as a 6th man on my team

theheatles
12-19-2011, 09:05 PM
Can't tell if serious.

dead

Kucka
12-19-2011, 09:29 PM
I can't wait for Orlando to see how much Big Baby gets blocked every game...but Baby is amazing at drawing those charges which i think the Celtics will miss.

The reason The Celtics got rid of Baby was because he thinks he is a superstar but in reality he is just an above average role player.

The goods
12-19-2011, 09:32 PM
For a guy that big and short for nba standards its amazing that he can score and move the way that he does,I've always respected that about him but with that being said if you can't keep a certain weight not just for yourself but for your team it sends the wrong message to management.