PDA

View Full Version : Peja Stojakovic Retiring

KB-Pau-DH2012
12-19-2011, 05:18 PM
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/7370035/peja-stojakovic-decides-retirement-dallas-mavericks-championship-run

After cementing his reputation as one of the finest shooters in NBA history by helping the Dallas Mavericks win their first championship, Peja Stojakovic has decided to retire after 13 seasons.

Stojakovic told ESPN.com on Monday that the physical toll caused by a string of back and neck troubles, at 34, convinced the three-time All-Star that "it's time" to step away from the game despite interest from a handful of contenders in signing the sharpshooter away from the Mavericks.

"When you start competing against your body more than you're preparing for the actual game," Stojakovic said, "it's a wakeup call."

Stojakovic does have the privilege of leaving the sport on an unquestioned high after some standout moments during the maiden title run in Mavericks history.

He scored 15 points and 21 points in back-to-back home victories over the Los Angeles Lakers that sealed a second-round sweep over the then-reigning champions, including a 6-for-6 performance from 3-point range in the Game 4 rout that eliminated L.A.

But Stojakovic had to grit through persistent neck trouble in March -- believed to be connected to his longstanding back woes -- just to work his way back into coach Rick Carlisle's playoff rotation.

He leaves the NBA with career averages of 17 points and 40 percent shooting from 3-point range, ranking fourth all-time with 1,760 careers 3-pointers made after establishing himself as an All-Star with the Sacramento Kings and later playing with the Indiana Pacers, New Orleans Hornets and Mavericks.

After breaking into the pro game at 14 with Red Star Belgrade, Stojakovic went on to star in Greece and also helped the Serbian national team, then playing as Yugoslavia, win championships at the 2001 Eurobasket tournament and the 2002 World Championships in Indianapolis.

Stojakovic quickly grew close with Mavericks star forward Dirk Nowitzki in their short time as teammates. Reflecting on the January rival of his longtime former Kings rival, Nowitzki said: "The first time I saw him at practice shooting, I knew his stroke was still sick."

Nets/Raiders!
12-19-2011, 05:23 PM
Dam :( He served us well man, great player. Killed us in the playoffs for years and then signs with us for a late season push toward our and his first championship.

FarOutIos
12-19-2011, 05:24 PM
Just ran into him a couple of nights ago here in sac... Asked him if he was here to sign with us... But he said no. I wonder if he's going to have any ceremony at a kings game?...

numba1CHANGsta
12-19-2011, 05:29 PM
he can still shoot the ball, id probably expect him to be signed sometime during the season if a team suffers an injury to one of their players

GhostfaceDrilla
12-19-2011, 05:30 PM
Great player with a ring from a great team.

KB-Pau-DH2012
12-19-2011, 05:31 PM
he can still shoot the ball, id probably expect him to be signed sometime during the season if a team suffers an injury to one of their players

He's retiring, he wants to go out on top with a championship.

Wade>You
12-19-2011, 05:31 PM
Alert the media, we'll hold a press conference immediately.

Only former Mavs beat writer Marc Stein would write an article about this.

asandhu23
12-19-2011, 05:32 PM
Two players from that 2002 Kings team left. Mike Bibby and Gerald Wallace...

KB-Pau-DH2012
12-19-2011, 05:32 PM

Perhaps we can have an hour show on ESPN about Peja's DECISION on retiring. ;)

-Kobe24-TJ19-
12-19-2011, 05:34 PM

turkeyglue?

Ano705
12-19-2011, 05:35 PM

And Hedo. 3 players left from that great 2002 team that were robbed of a ring. There are 3 missing rings left in the NBA now.

It still pains me as a basketball fan in general. It wouldn't have mattered if it was the wizards vs the timberwolves. It's just a disgrace to see a team get robbed of a title like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjRcTiwVEwo

KB-Pau-DH2012
12-19-2011, 05:36 PM
And Hedo. 3 players left from that great 2002 team that were robbed of a ring. There are 3 missing rings left in the NBA now.

Uh-oh, here we go again!

asandhu23
12-19-2011, 05:36 PM
turkeyglue?

It still pains me as a basketball fan in general. It wouldn't have mattered if it was the wizards vs the timberwolves. It's just a disgrace to see a team get robbed of a title like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjRcTiwVEwo

oh right. forgot about him. 3 players then...

LTBaByyy
12-19-2011, 05:39 PM
Wanted to finish his career playing with his buddy Dirk

And got a ring out of it!!!! Wow, what a way to finish an amazing career.

Good thing he didn't finish it with the Raptors lol

Wade>You
12-19-2011, 05:40 PM
Perhaps we can have an hour show on ESPN about Peja's DECISION on retiring. ;)The difference is no one would be watching. ;)

GhostfaceDrilla
12-19-2011, 05:42 PM

Sorry. Forgot only Heat players are relevant to this earth.

KB-Pau-DH2012
12-19-2011, 05:43 PM
The difference is no one would be watching. ;)

That's not the only difference...Peja got a ring against LBJ! ;)

LTBaByyy
12-19-2011, 05:45 PM
By the age Lebron gets a ring, he will retire too.

naps
12-19-2011, 05:48 PM
Dam :( He served us well man, great player. Killed us in the playoffs for years and then signs with us for a late season push toward our and his first championship.

You are a Nets fan. Why are you pretending to be a Mavs fan here?

BlondeBomber41
12-19-2011, 05:49 PM

You come off like more and more of an idiot all the time, jesus christ. I know the mods on here will get upset that I say that, but I can't think of any other way to say it other than that.

Peja Stojakovic was a big time player and when healthy one of the best scorers in the NBA over the last decade. Not to mention he'll go down as one of the best shooters of all time, and 4th on the all time 3 pointers made list. His retirement is a significant one, to say the least. I doubt he gets any serious HOF consideration but if he would of stayed healthy his entire career we could of been talking about him in that light.

Punk
12-19-2011, 05:50 PM
Damn. Great player, hoping he would play 1 more season but I see why he's going out this way. He got his ring and will go down as a HOF.

Nets/Raiders!
12-19-2011, 05:55 PM

Jason Kidd fan dude read the bio idiot. Get off my **** I didn't say a word to you. Mind your business.

LTBaByyy
12-19-2011, 05:55 PM

He is a fan of whatever team Jason Kidd plays for, nothing wrong with that!!!!

That's his favorite player, but I would just make another PSD account so I could have another username if I was him

Wrigheyes4MVP
12-19-2011, 05:56 PM
You come off like more and more of an idiot all the time, jesus christ. I know the mods on here will get upset that I say that, but I can't think of any other way to say it other than that.

Peja Stojakovic was a big time player and when healthy one of the best scorers in the NBA over the last decade. Not to mention he'll go down as one of the best shooters of all time, and 4th on the all time 3 pointers made list. His retirement is a significant one, to say the least. I doubt he gets any serious HOF consideration but if he would of stayed healthy his entire career we could of been talking about him in that light.

Peja is my all time favorite player. In the end, his injuries ended his career and any possibility at making the HOF. But, he will certainly go down as one of the greatest pure shooters of all time. I'm just happy that he got to retire on top. He played a huge part in getting the Mavs to the Finals, and proved he can still shoot the hell out of the ball. I'm happy for him, and I wish him the best. One of the best shooters of all time.

Nets/Raiders!
12-19-2011, 05:58 PM
He is a fan of whatever team Jason Kidd plays for, nothing wrong with that!!!!

That's his favorite player, but I would just make another PSD account so I could have another username if I was him

I'm thinking about doing it right now. People are ridiculous here. I'm just mad that i'll lose all my posts lol I've been here since 2006.

phlp_bj
12-19-2011, 06:10 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnzJAbmPH2M

Wade>You
12-19-2011, 06:19 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnzJAbmPH2M
0:28 is sick

BlondeBomber41
12-19-2011, 06:41 PM
I'm thinking about doing it right now. People are ridiculous here. I'm just mad that i'll lose all my posts lol I've been here since 2006.

You can't do it. If they find out you made another username they'll ban you, and as sad as it sounds, I'm not joking.

jneises21
12-19-2011, 06:54 PM
One of the best shooters ever.. '02 kings were my favorite team to watch to date.

Kyle N.
12-19-2011, 06:56 PM
He's one of my favorite players of all time and a hero of mine as a kid. I still have his jersey from when he played for the Kings. It's sad to see him retire but I was glad to see him win a championship.

MrfadeawayJB
12-19-2011, 06:59 PM
He had a great career.

UPRock
12-19-2011, 07:26 PM
He was badass back at the time, and one of the best shooters of all time. God bless him.

naps
12-20-2011, 03:31 AM
Jason Kidd fan dude read the bio idiot. Get off my **** I didn't say a word to you. Mind your business.

Really?? Your username says you are/were a Nets fan. Now lets see:

See where you said "US" (Mavs) every-time? Yeah, you are not a bandwagoner :rolleyes: Don't expect not to be called out when you are exhibiting hypocrisy.
I didn't attack you with any vulgar words/phrases. Since your user name indicated you were a Nets fan but now you are a Mavs fans I just simply asked you this out of curiosity. Here's my post:

And you came off as an arrogant punk with insult in your response. Mature :rolleyes:

iggypop123
12-20-2011, 03:32 AM
he has a ton of free time to bang sienna west now

DodgerBulls
12-20-2011, 04:12 AM
I will definitely miss him. Since I started playing basketball heavily during the early 2000s, Peja became of my idols. Even today, him and Hinrich, yes Hinrich, are the biggest reasons why I love shooting 3s. My friends and I used to scream Hinrich or Stoya when I drain 3s well before the 3 point line. Hell, I think my 3s is NBA range.