PDA

View Full Version : Adding More Men to The Roster.

kjoke
12-18-2011, 10:14 PM
I think this would be beneficial to the teams and the league. Allow for something like 20 people on the roster, and then allow to dump 5 players (or more) into the d-league as prospects. I think it is a good idea. Some teams can really find a gem if they are good scouts.

cardinals1226
12-18-2011, 10:20 PM
I think this would be beneficial to the teams and the league. Allow for something like 20 people on the roster, and then allow to dump 5 players (or more) into the d-league as prospects. I think it is a good idea. Some teams can really find a gem if they are good scouts.

8-9 players on a roster get solid minutes, 3-4 barely play and you're proposing to add another 5 players to the team? What's the point?

Mike515089
12-18-2011, 10:59 PM

I like that idea. It would allow the other 8 who didn't make the Nba squad a chance to play with fellow team mates that in the same system as well as play under coaches assigned by there Nba affiliate. I think the negative effect of this would be adding 5 players salarys, since most teams use every bit of cap space and often go over it. They would have to increase the salary cap (not by alot) but that would probably just give star players more incentive to ask for bigger contracts.

justinnum1
12-18-2011, 11:03 PM
Maybe if those 5 designated spots were salaries of 250,000...not a bad idea

Geargo Wallace
12-18-2011, 11:08 PM
If they're good scouts, they don't need 20 men.

BranWingss
12-18-2011, 11:12 PM
I'd love to see the NBA D-League become similar to the NHL's AHL. I think it could really bring some of these kids along nicely. Could give a job to a lot of the unemployed players too.

beasted86
12-18-2011, 11:18 PM
I like the idea. The NBA pays to operate the D-League... I don't see why it's not used more often like an actual minor league with more NBA control for actual development.

Maybe not 5 spots... make it like 3 more spots and a 2yr limit.

kjoke
12-18-2011, 11:19 PM
The thing is, it makes the NBA-DL much more profitable.

I would like to see new customs in the league, where people recovering from injuries get sent down and picked up.

kjoke
12-18-2011, 11:20 PM
I'd love to see the NBA D-League become similar to the NHL's AHL. I think it could really bring some of these kids along nicely. Could give a job to a lot of the unemployed players too.

Good point. And put the teams in random cities so smaller cities have the opportunity to ally behind a lower team like many AHL teams and Minor League Baseball cities.

Jumba
12-19-2011, 01:52 AM
I heard last night on NBA TV watching a preseason game for NJ and NY that the D-League teams are like this, D-League teams ally with a specific team only, for example I believe NJ's D-League affiliate is like Bakersfield, so they can pick the coaching staff, the style that Bakersfield plays at, send injured players down there and let them rehab while sending rookies down and up an infinite amount of times. This was decided in the new CBA.

So your wishes have been essentially granted!

gatkins11
12-19-2011, 01:55 AM
That would get really expensive.

Cal827
12-19-2011, 02:23 AM
Love the idea. Have a minor NBA League.. Then some of the places where they are trying to look at interest levels (E.g. Seattle, Vancouver, Vegas etc) could have a team to look at.

Just like the one now, have like 50 games on a 20 team league, but end it in around mid-late march (start the League at about the same time as the NBA season). Then we could see late call-ups on teams that are preparing for the next year. Allows the local cities to also employ talent from within the city. Could also help develop some coaches for the NBA.

Damn Shame the Owners are cheap though.

DenButsu
12-19-2011, 05:07 AM
This is why there's a D-League. Players who would be numbers 13-20 in this hypothetical 20-man roster would never set foot on the court save for garbage time or when teams got badly stricken by injuries to several players. And that in turn would hamper their development and prevent them from potentially growing into the better players they would need to become in order to legitimately compete at the NBA level.

15 is plenty.

DenButsu
12-19-2011, 05:09 AM
Love the idea. Have a minor NBA League.. Then some of the places where they are trying to look at interest levels (E.g. Seattle, Vancouver, Vegas etc) could have a team to look at.

This already exists.

Wade>You
12-19-2011, 05:21 AM
Maybe if those 5 designated spots were salaries of 250,000...not a bad ideaYeah, the salaries are the biggest issue because of the new CBA.