PDA

View Full Version : Gilbert Arenas Prefers Lakers, Heat & Knicks

KB-Pau-DH2012
12-18-2011, 03:11 AM
http://rotoworld.com/player/nba/793/gilbert-arenas

Gilbert Arenas reportedly hopes to play for the Lakers, Heat, Knicks, or whichever team trades for Dwight Howard.
The Knicks and Heat reportedly favor Baron Davis over Arenas, and the Lakers are "hesitant" to sign him, but the Nets may be willing to sign him if they can complete a trade for Dwight. Both L.A. and Miami could use a veteran PG on a minimum contract, so we're not ruling anything out at this point. Dec 18 - 1:42 AM
Source: ESPN.com

FriedTofuz
12-18-2011, 03:14 AM
That is a very good situation for all 3 of these teams. All of us could use an upgrade for our PG spot.

Wade>You
12-18-2011, 03:15 AM
Arenas is a Knick if I've ever seen one.

j/k

I don't think any team will sign him.

rasajr23
12-18-2011, 03:16 AM
Gilbert would be great on the Laker Bench... But if the Lakers sign this nut its only going to add gas to the fire on DH trade rumors.

abe_froman
12-18-2011, 03:20 AM
i'm sure he does...but the question with gil was never where he wants to go.its,is there any team in the league that would be willing to take him

Wade>You
12-18-2011, 03:22 AM
i'm sure he does...but the question with gil was never where he wants to go.its,is there any team in the league that would be willing to take himPersonally, I don't think so. He had a good chance with the Magic to prove he's got something left in the tank and he blew it. The NBA has moved on from Gilbert Arenas.

FriedTofuz
12-18-2011, 03:27 AM
Arenas would definatly thrive in ny

ThunderousDemon
12-18-2011, 03:29 AM
I don't think he has any lift with that knee anymore, I think I'll keep Fisher.

Raps08-09 Champ
12-18-2011, 03:32 AM
I'd think his personality will clash with at least 1 major guy on each team.

meloman1592
12-18-2011, 03:33 AM

LMAOOOOOOO @ your sig

Lakers + Giants
12-18-2011, 03:39 AM
I'll happily accept him in a lakers uniform if it's for the vet min. . low risk high reward. Can't be any worse than fisher anyways so it's AT LEAST a reward already.

Avenged
12-18-2011, 04:23 AM
Arenas is right on par with Fisher.. probably worse. I wouldn't take a chance at him, we already have Fisher for that.

Actually... I mean if he can relax on his shooting (actually not shoot at all) I would take him.. He's an underrated passer IMO, and that's what we're going to need.

knicks_champ
12-18-2011, 04:29 AM
Every signing from this point is considered Low risk high Reward...

-Kobe24-TJ19-
12-18-2011, 05:45 AM
he sucks

allSUAVE
12-18-2011, 06:04 AM
I'd think his personality will clash with at least 1 major guy on each team.

Stop stalking my Facebook page guy LMAO

John Walls Era
12-18-2011, 06:10 AM
O so he wants to play with the contenders in big markets.

Gilbert was a lethal scorer when healthy. I don't know if he has much left, but its a low risk signing.

_Supreme_
12-18-2011, 06:14 AM
but its a low risk signing.

Unless he feels it would be fun to bring some guns into the locker room :cool:

dodie53
12-18-2011, 06:31 AM
wouldn't hurt for the vet min.
imo.

YoungOne
12-18-2011, 06:55 AM
what a surprise...

shep33
12-18-2011, 07:00 AM
Gilbert doesn't fit really with any of those teams, especially the Knicks and Heat. The Lakers could use him as a backup 2 guard.

Fresno
12-18-2011, 07:24 AM
Gilbert needs to go to a team that will let him be "Agent Zero" again in terms of his personality because I think hes at his best as a player when hes happy on a team & in his personal life(aka his comedy on Twitter).

Is he a goofball? Yes.
Is he a "team cancer"? No way. All his teammates love playing on a team with him.

The perfect fit for him would be the Hornets.
Yes, its a bad team but Gilbert needs to show the world he can still play in the NBA in order for people to not think hes washed up much like T-Mac signing in Detroit last year. New Orleans needs a scorer opposite of Eric Gordon, and letting Gilbert run the team at PG like he did in Washington will at least make New Orleans fun to watch.

Everybody acts like Gilbert never recovered from his knee surgery & is washed up.

Just 2 seasons ago he was putting up 25/7/5 in Washington before the gun incident.
He sat out the rest of the season due to suspension, not an injury.

When he came back last year the Wizards had drafted John Wall, and Gilbert was playing out of position as a "catch & shoot" SG rather than in his old role of being a scoring PG. Thats what caused his low FG% and it got even worse when he went to Orlando and they didnt have any role for him to play other than occasionally taking shots in blowout games.

Gilbert can still average 20+ PPG in the NBA if you let him play his natural position at PG & put the ball in his hands to run the offense.

Fresno
12-18-2011, 07:33 AM
O so he wants to play with the contenders in big markets.

Gilbert was a lethal scorer when healthy. I don't know if he has much left, but its a low risk signing.

He still has some game left.

Unfortunately these last 1 1/2 seasons have been a disaster, and none of this would have ever happened if he didnt bring those guns into the locker room and then make fun of it.

Washington let him have total control at PG and he was putting up 25 PPG.

If he never was suspended for those guns he probably would still be their star player going for 20-25 PPG, Wall would have never been drafted, & Butler/Jamison/Stevenson/Haywood all wouldn't have been traded for nothing. Then you'd have a deep young bench still with Nick Young, Andray Blatche, & Javale McGee.

Hopefully he would've stayed healthy in that span.

Gilbert doesn't fit really with any of those teams, especially the Knicks and Heat. The Lakers could use him as a backup 2 guard.

Gilbert isnt a SG.
Hes terrible in that role playing off the ball as proven in Orlando last year because he cant get in rhythm as a "spot shooter".

Any team signing Gilbert should be doing it for him to be their PG.

Gilbert would be LA's 3rd option if they let him start at PG. He'd have to adjust his game to accomodate Kobe needing the ball, but Gilbert would be a factor on offense unlike Fisher or Blake.

Kyben36
12-18-2011, 08:05 AM
sellout, I dislike alot of the players who go to winning teams rather than playing, it shows me where their priorities are at. The Game of basketball to me is tainted with winning feaver, when it should be about the love of the game and getting out there to play.

justinnum1
12-18-2011, 08:58 AM

Yea, with there no defense mentality, he fits right in.

SteBO
12-18-2011, 09:06 AM
I find it hard-pressed to see us take any sort of chance of Arenas at this point. I'd much rather invest in Norris Cole's development, for he's a much younger option and is the first time we've had a real PG since J-Will. No to Arenas.......

justinnum1
12-18-2011, 09:27 AM
I find it hard-pressed to see us take any sort of chance of Arenas at this point. I'd much rather invest in Norris Cole's development, for he's a much younger option and is the first time we've had a real PG since J-Will. No to Arenas.......

yea, not to mention we are stacked at the 1 and 2

following players can play the 1
wade
lebron
miller
chalmers
cole

follwing players can play the 2
battier
miller
wade
lebron
house
chalmers

greek miami hea
12-18-2011, 09:39 AM
i prefer investing on norris cole

Dade County
12-18-2011, 10:15 AM
Norris Cole.... baby

If you don't no, we will know soon!

theheatles
12-18-2011, 10:18 AM
I wouldn't want him, he'd just eat minutes that could be valuable experience for norris cole .

RLundi
12-18-2011, 10:20 AM

wade
lebron
miller
chalmers
cole

battier
miller
wade
lebron
house
chalmers

LOL I'm sorry, but no one considers Cole and Chalmers 'stacked' at the one, no matter how you try to spin it with LeBron, Wade, Miller (??) etc.

The Heat would be smart to take a flier on Arenas. If it's for the vet minimum, what can it hurt? Arenas could thrive in a completely pressure-free situation.

SteBO
12-18-2011, 10:21 AM

wade
lebron
miller
chalmers
cole

battier
miller
wade
lebron
house
chalmers
Bingo! And besides, Arenas hasn't shown any real desire to do what it takes to win and I've read those same sentiments from Magic fans last year. He just got waived, and the fact that nobody has expressed much if any desire to sign him really tells me something. Hell, I feel similarly about Baron Davis hence why I don't really want him here in Miami. Norris Cole is rookie who's work ethic is admirable, and that's the attitude I haven't seen from Davis or Gil. Give me some Norris Cole........

SteBO
12-18-2011, 10:22 AM
LOL I'm sorry, but no one considers Cole and Chalmers 'stacked' at the one, no matter how you try to spin it with LeBron, Wade, Miller (??) etc.

The Heat would be smart to take a flier on Arenas. If it's for the vet minimum, what can it hurt? Arenas could thrive in a completely pressure-free situation.
He means that we have alot of perimeter players as it is. Take a flier on Gil? Sure. But I'm telling you Pat most likely isn't going to bother. We're fine on the perimeter for now. All we need is a competent center.

kobebabe
12-18-2011, 10:32 AM
I can't believe Arenas has the nerves to say what teams he want to play for. This dude still think he is a superstar for real. Only superstars get to pick teams. He will be lucky if any team signs him!

TylerSL
12-18-2011, 10:42 AM
I bet and hope he goes to the Lakers.

Hunter48MVP
12-18-2011, 10:44 AM
Lakers need Arenas. I hope the Lakers take a chance on him

TylerSL
12-18-2011, 10:49 AM

Its kind of funny when people have no idea what they are talking about. Miami has only 1 spot left. We are not spending our last spot on Gilbert ****ing Arenas. You think we need a PG over a C? Like Justinnumber1 said and Stebo clarified, we have multiple guys who can play the point. Sure, our point players can look like Chalmers/Cole, but that doesnt mean they are the only ones who will play the point, and it DEFINATELY doesnt mean they will always guard the other teams opposing PG. Miami needs to use their 1 last spot to get somebody like Joel Pryzbilla.

Lake_Show2416
12-18-2011, 01:09 PM
I'd rather let the kid Darius Morris get more playing, he's gona b a good player

        
12-18-2011, 01:13 PM
Gilbert Arenas is a top 10 player

xxplayerxx23
12-18-2011, 01:18 PM
Gilbert Arenas is a top 10 player

6 years ago Possibly :eyebrow:

SportsFanatic10
12-18-2011, 01:38 PM
as a heat fan i say hell no!

sb123
12-18-2011, 01:39 PM
Heat fans way over-rating their players. Reminds me of all the Haslem and Joel Anthony love.

justinnum1
12-18-2011, 01:45 PM
Heat fans way over-rating their players. Reminds me of all the Haslem and Joel Anthony love.

Haslem is a great player. Watch him play, and other then putting the ball in the hoop, watch all the things he does, on offense and defense. And joel anthony is a horrbile offensive player, but one of the best defensive big men in the league. He was the MVP of the philly series, and locked down KG in the playoffs.

No need to hate.

roshan3ai
12-18-2011, 01:46 PM
No thanks. You suck Gilbert

KnicksR4Real
12-18-2011, 01:55 PM
Please don't go to New York :pray:

GREATNESS ONE
12-18-2011, 01:56 PM
eeek I don't see Arenas fitting with many teams... Maybe a run and gun team like Phoenix would be a ideal fit.

ChiSox219
12-18-2011, 01:59 PM
D league

Tony_Starks
12-18-2011, 02:02 PM
Sounds like you guys didn't watch very many Orlando games last season. In flashes Gilbert looked great but it was Van Gundy's ridiculous love affair with Nelson and rotation mismanagement that screwed him. They gave him spot minutes off the bench but you don't do that with a guy fresh off knee surgery. By the time he would come in and get warmed up they would yank him. If nothing else they should've moved him to the 2.

At the beginning of the year with Washington he was still productive, he would definitely be a upgrade over Fisher or whoever Miami is starting at pg if given the minutes......

nickdymez
12-18-2011, 02:10 PM
Arenas is right on par with Fisher.. probably worse. I wouldn't take a chance at him, we already have Fisher for that.

Actually... I mean if he can relax on his shooting (actually not shoot at all) I would take him.. He's an underrated passer IMO, and that's what we're going to need.

You obviously just dont like Gilbert to make that comment.

ChiSox219
12-18-2011, 02:17 PM
Arenas isnt an upgrade over Chalmers

emman03
12-18-2011, 02:19 PM
if arenas' height is 6'11- 7'2 then sign him :) i want center i want dalembert

RLundi
12-18-2011, 02:21 PM
Sounds like you guys didn't watch very many Orlando games last season. In flashes Gilbert looked great but it was Van Gundy's ridiculous love affair with Nelson and rotation mismanagement that screwed him. They gave him spot minutes off the bench but you don't do that with a guy fresh off knee surgery. By the time he would come in and get warmed up they would yank him. If nothing else they should've moved him to the 2.

At the beginning of the year with Washington he was still productive, he would definitely be a upgrade over Fisher or whoever Miami is starting at pg if given the minutes......

I watched every Orlando game last year and Gilbert is absolute trash. RARELY did Gilbert ever look good and the times he did, he was on momentary hot streaks. Then he would foolishly pull up near the half-court line and launch 26-foot three pointers trying to see if he was 'in the zone,' each time missing more horridly than the last. Of course Van Gundy took him out, wouldn't you?

Also, his defense was an abomination. SVG is a defensive coach and Arenas couldn't keep up with the point guards or the shooting guards because he completely lost his mobility. Why should he continue to play when his offense and defense were absolutely abysmal and were hurting us?

I hoped he would get a little better after the long off-season and training but a few weeks ago, he looked as worse as he's ever had. He played in Dwight's charity game and completely stunk it up- he went like 2-15 IN A CHARITY GAME THAT NO ONE WAS EVEN TAKING SERIOUSLY.

I don't know if he's done in the NBA, but this past year was atrocious. If he were to sign somewhere for the vet's minimum, honestly, I'd give him a shot. He's the definition of low-risk, high-reward. But at this point, from what I've seen recently, Arenas is not a starter by any stretch of the imagination.

Avenged
12-18-2011, 02:22 PM
You obviously just dont like Gilbert to make that comment.

Arenas has nothing left. He'll give you 10 points on 10 shots with a low FG% and a high turnover%. I mean his OWS is in the negatives. If you prefer that over Fisher then you obviously just dont like Fisher to make that comment. Add to the fact that Gilbert is injury prone..

nickdymez
12-18-2011, 02:29 PM
Arenas has nothing left. He'll give you 10 points on 10 shots with a low FG% and a high turnover%. I mean his OWS is in the negatives. If you prefer that over Fisher then you obviously just dont like Fisher to make that comment. Add to the fact that Gilbert is injury prone..

I dont mind fisher. But he has nothing in the tank at all. Gilbert has more in the tank that fisher at this point. I feel with the right motivation (Like playing at home) he will do just fine.

Tony_Starks
12-18-2011, 02:40 PM
I watched every Orlando game last year and Gilbert is absolute trash. RARELY did Gilbert ever look good and the times he did, he was on momentary hot streaks. Then he would foolishly pull up near the half-court line and launch 26-foot three pointers trying to see if he was 'in the zone,' each time missing more horridly than the last. Of course Van Gundy took him out, wouldn't you?

Also, his defense was an abomination. SVG is a defensive coach and Arenas couldn't keep up with the point guards or the shooting guards because he completely lost his mobility. Why should he continue to play when his offense and defense were absolutely abysmal and were hurting us?

I hoped he would get a little better after the long off-season and training but a few weeks ago, he looked as worse as he's ever had. He played in Dwight's charity game and completely stunk it up- he went like 2-15 IN A CHARITY GAME THAT NO ONE WAS EVEN TAKING SERIOUSLY.

I don't know if he's done in the NBA, but this past year was atrocious. If he were to sign somewhere for the vet's minimum, honestly, I'd give him a shot. He's the definition of low-risk, high-reward. But at this point, from what I've seen recently, Arenas is not a starter by any stretch of the imagination.

We must have been watching different teams then because the games I saw he would show flashes of his old self and his pick and roll passing was a million billion trillion times better than Nelsons. Not to mention he can still get to the line (although his explosion is completely gone) and is a better shooter than Nelson will ever be.

Go and look up Howards comments after the season on Arenas. He himself alluded that he didn't think they involved him enough and he should've been used more. Now thats coming from someone playing and practicing with him everyday, I'll take his word for it.

Maybe its just me but I'd rather take a guy who's a underrated passer and who will occasionally light it up over a guy who's consistently mediocre.....

Will 2 BE
12-18-2011, 02:46 PM
Is it just me or does it seem like every thread has been "________ player looks to be close to signing with LA , NY, or Miami" ?

boolish
12-18-2011, 02:47 PM
if only they preferred him.

rhymeratic
12-18-2011, 02:55 PM
I think Arenas isn't done. Magic wasn't the best situation for his "game"
I think he'd be a good fit for the Lakers or Knicks.

RLundi
12-18-2011, 03:04 PM
We must have been watching different teams then because the games I saw he would show flashes of his old self and his pick and roll passing was a million billion trillion times better than Nelsons. Not to mention he can still get to the line (although his explosion is completely gone) and is a better shooter than Nelson will ever be.

Go and look up Howards comments after the season on Arenas. He himself alluded that he didn't think they involved him enough and he should've been used more. Now thats coming from someone playing and practicing with him everyday, I'll take his word for it.

Maybe its just me but I'd rather take a guy who's a underrated passer and who will occasionally light it up over a guy who's consistently mediocre.....

Yes, flashes appear briefly then disappear, hence why they're called flashes. Any player can have a good half, or even a good game, but for Arenas they are far and few in between. Arenas has lost the only thing working for him- his speed and quickness. Granted, he's a better passer than Nelson but he's much more turnover-prone. Last season was his highest turnover percentage in his career.

And the notion that Arenas is a better shooter than Nelson is laughable at best. Arenas shot 36% from the field last year. Nelson has proven to be a far better shooter than Arenas in every aspect throughout his career and especially recently, and advanced metrics back that up.

Before you take a guy who will 'occasionally light it up' over a much better player like Nelson, consider that Arenas was one of the few players in the NBA with a relatively high usage rate that had NEGATIVE offensive win shares.

Punk
12-18-2011, 05:01 PM
In a limited role, he can very effective. Besides, he was one of the reason Orlando didn't get blown out in that last game in Atlanta.

He wasn't great but he was decent through out the season. He looked better in Washington before he was traded to Orlando honestly.

S-Dot
12-18-2011, 05:12 PM
In a limited role, he can very effective. Besides, he was one of the reason Orlando didn't get blown out in that last game in Atlanta.

He wasn't great but he was decent through out the season. He looked better in Washington before he was traded to Orlando honestly.

I agree 100%. Stan Van Gundy loves Jameer Nelson too much for Gil to actually display his talents with that team. I think Agent Zero would be a solid pickup for the Lakers.

VillaMaravilla
12-18-2011, 05:28 PM

says who you? come on dude no one is allowed one bad year especially after coming from a year suspension, Ill take him with a quickness.....come to the Knicks Gilbert!........btw how you like that whooping Barca put on Real lmao

Avenged
12-18-2011, 06:01 PM
says who you? come on dude no one is allowed one bad year especially after coming from a year suspension, Ill take him with a quickness.....come to the Knicks Gilbert!........btw how you like that whooping Barca put on Real lmao

If you call the season 2007-08 until now 1 bad year then sure. I hope he does go to the Knicks since that'll mean he won't be a Laker. :)

h2r09
12-18-2011, 06:08 PM
you can stay as far away from the heat as possible. thanks gilbert.

Cracka2HI!
12-18-2011, 06:12 PM
The only teams I can really see being interetsed in him would be; Philly, Charlotte and Detroit. I can only see a team with no real top scorer or big time PG taking a gamble that he can come in, dominate the ball and return to a 20 ppg scorer who also gets other guys involved. After he gets his buckets of course!

S-Dot
12-18-2011, 06:20 PM
The only teams I can really see being interetsed in him would be; Philly, Charlotte and Detroit. I can only see a team with no real top scorer or big time PG taking a gamble that he can come in, dominate the ball and return to a 20 ppg scorer who also gets other guys involved. After he gets his buckets of course!

He would be a waste of a pick up for all three of those teams to be honest. No offense to Gil because I love his game.

Charlotte is clearly rebuilding and is probably looking to make Kemba their starter.

Philly has J'Rue Holiday who is doing a pretty decent job

Detroit has Stuckey, Brandon Knight, and Will Bynum

Lakers make the most sense to me.

KnickaBocka.44
12-18-2011, 06:27 PM
Haslem is a great player. Watch him play, and other then putting the ball in the hoop, watch all the things he does, on offense and defense. And joel anthony is a horrbile offensive player, but one of the best defensive big men in the league. He was the MVP of the philly series, and locked down KG in the playoffs.

No need to hate.

Take your own advice into consideration when you talk about other teams.

Fresno
12-19-2011, 02:35 AM

I had to stop this thread to give this quote some attention.

This has to be one of the biggest reaches I have ever seen a person have to go to criticize a basketball player.

:laugh2:

RLundi
12-19-2011, 10:04 AM
I had to stop this thread to give this quote some attention.

This has to be one of the biggest reaches I have ever seen a person have to go to criticize a basketball player.

:laugh2:

It isn't a reach at all. It lends credence to the notion that Gilbert Arenas is an egregious shooter. What can't you understand about having several wide-open uncontested jumpers and missing each one horrendously? Those of us who watched Magic games last year acquiesce to the fact that's the norm; Gilbert's bad games aren't outliers, they're common occurrences. If that's too much of a challenge, then understand 36% -- as in, his field goal percentage from last year.

Gilbert Arenas' true shooting and effective field goal percentages reveal the truth: he has never been an accurate shooter. He's always been a streaky, volume shooter and now that he can't chuck it up in bunches, he's severely limited and virtually ineffective.

Kakaroach
12-19-2011, 01:31 PM
I can't imagine being a contending team and wanting anything to do with this guy. He had his chance in Orlando to redeem himself, and looked terrible.

Corey
12-19-2011, 01:33 PM
This guy is going to have to pay someone to let him come to practice :laugh2: