PDA

View Full Version : Klay Thompson's Potential

steveweve
12-17-2011, 05:32 PM
What's your guys prediction on Klay? Has the potential to become an all-star down the road and sky is the limit type player, or simply a bust.

Discuss.

steveweve
12-17-2011, 05:33 PM
Personally I hope that Klay will be an early bloomer and can develop his skills early, and we could start him at the SG in a year or 2. So we could trade Ellis for a legit 3.

Jeff559
12-17-2011, 06:20 PM
Wouldn't say the sky is the limit for him.. but I don't think he will be a bust either. Role player off the bench seems most likely, maybe a career 8-10ppg shooter off the bench type.

lol, please
12-17-2011, 06:35 PM
Impossible to gauge.

steveweve
12-17-2011, 06:44 PM
Impossible to gauge.

I know, thats why i said whats your "prediction" :)

Monta is beast
12-17-2011, 06:58 PM
I would say he can be a solid starter. He's a lights out shooter, so I could see him averaging 15 PPG over his career.

steveweve
12-17-2011, 07:14 PM
No doubt about his offensive abilities, question is can he play D

Kdirt
12-17-2011, 07:40 PM
His floor is Brent Barry and his ceiling is a generic Reggie Miller

MackShock
12-17-2011, 07:53 PM
one dimensional player as it stands..he has to add to his game

Monta is beast
12-17-2011, 08:27 PM

He's a better Anthony Morrow in my opinion.

BrandoCommando
12-17-2011, 10:25 PM
Goat.

Scoots
12-17-2011, 10:45 PM
A better Anthony Morrow would be pretty exceptional if you are talking about shooting ... if you are not talking about shooting then that's not much to aspire to.

I think he'll be a 5-7 year starter. Talented kids of long time NBA vets don't tend to have one dimensional games once they get to the NBA.

likemystylez
12-17-2011, 11:30 PM

wouldnt say one dimensional. He is an above average ball handler for a wing player... infact a very good ball handler by college standards. He also is a willing passer (I think he lead his team in assists the last 2 years). and aside from being a shooter, he was an exceptionally good scorer at the college level as well. Great all around offensive instincts. (he has way more to work with than anthony morrow)

That being said- he needs to get stronger, needs to figure out how hes going to play against nba wing players, and I dont know how competitive he is. Ive heard that jenkins is the rookie with the most fire on the warriors.

Bayareaboy
12-18-2011, 01:31 AM
I think in a couple of years he's got the possibility of becoming a very good starter which I love if we still have him on the bench. That means we have 2 starting 2 guards. Just like I think udoh has alot of potential though and could b a solid starter being David lee.

Leandres_sf
12-18-2011, 01:38 AM
Right now I'd say his ceiling is a great shooter, but one dimensional, most likely a sixth man. If he shows he can rebound and play D, he can definitely be a starter. Of course, Jerry West thinks he'll be a star...so who knows.

lol, please
12-18-2011, 02:25 AM
I agree with West, He will be great. I like what I saw today, a bit shaky at first but hey his first NBA game, and considering the fact that he will spend alot of time on the court, if he learns quickly, he will quickly get adjusted to the pace and level of the NBA.

Monta is beast
12-19-2011, 06:07 PM
Jerry West does have a great eye for talent. There is no arguing that.

WestCoastSportz
12-19-2011, 06:45 PM
I think its too early to say if he's one-dimensional or not. I'm going to go out on a limb here and say his ceiling is....Joe Johnson. Johnson isn't the quickest player nor is he an elite athlete, but he gets its done with exceptional ball handling skills and craftiness. Watching that one game, you can tell Klay was very comfortable with putting the ball on the floor and he was going by smaller, quicker players. We all know he can shoot the ball and his ability to do so will open up the floor for him. He understands the triple-threat position and utilizes to his advantage. A very smart and fundamental player. He may not be the defender that Johnson is, but I don't think he'll be an awful one.

Thats his ceiling, but he'll more than likely settle into more of a Michael Redd type player with Anthony Parker being on his low-end of potential.

GSWJunkie
12-19-2011, 06:47 PM
Just joined everyone! HI!, GO WARRIORS!!! Let's hope Marks bold prediction comes true.

As for Klay, in the one game I saw him play, last Saturday, I think he has the potential to
start many games in his NBA career, he has good tools and fundamentals but I think when he figures out the speed of the game and adjusts to the brutal scheduling and becomes a veteran of the league, I could see him potentially always being in the conversation for the 6th man of the year award. Even though I think he could easily start many games throughout his career, my prediction for him is that he would have the most impact as that one guy of the bench that many teams have no answer for. He comes in, does his thing and fires up the rest of the team which leads to more victories than not and that is where I see Klay really finding his niche.

lol, please
12-19-2011, 06:55 PM
Just joined everyone! HI!, GO WARRIORS!!! Let's hope Marks bold prediction comes true.

As for Klay, in the one game I saw him play, last Saturday, I think he has the potential to
start many games in his NBA career, he has good tools and fundamentals but I think when he figures out the speed of the game and adjusts to the brutal scheduling and becomes a veteran of the league, I could see him potentially always being in the conversation for the 6th man of the year award. Even though I think he could easily start many games throughout his career, my prediction for him is that he would have the most impact as that one guy of the bench that many teams have no answer for. He comes in, does his thing and fires up the rest of the team which leads to more victories than not and that is where I see Klay really finding his niche.
another W fan, welcome :clap:

Run&Gun
12-20-2011, 02:47 AM
Looking at Klay Thompson, I think his ceiling is Manu Ginobli, his floor is probably like Marcos Benlinelli or Mike Miller.
I personally think he will prob. meet somewhere in the middle, he seems really crafty and able to find different ways to score, his defense looked pretty decent too. IQ needs to improve, but I'm excited to see how much better he can get through the season.

Monta is beast
12-20-2011, 02:49 AM
Looking at Klay Thompson, I think his ceiling is Manu Ginobli, his floor is probably like Marcos Benlinelli or Mike Miller.
I personally think he will prob. meet somewhere in the middle, he seems really crafty and able to find different ways to score, his defense looked pretty decent too. IQ needs to improve, but I'm excited to see how much better he can get through the season.

From what I have read his basketball I.Q is one of his strength's. Personally I would like him to become a better defender & re bounder. If he can do that his ceiling is all-star.

MackShock
12-20-2011, 03:23 AM
Klay cannot have a breakout season unless we trade Monta.

Run&Gun
12-20-2011, 03:28 AM
From what I have read his basketball I.Q is one of his strength's. Personally I would like him to become a better defender & re bounder. If he can do that his ceiling is all-star.

Yeah I'd have to agree with you. I suppose I should reframe my sentence and say his IQ looks good, but could see improvements, he took a lot of decent shots during the preseason game.

They weren't bad shots, just not great shots, his IQ is prob. a lot better than the average rookie but not as good as Charles Jenkins. Worried about his efficiency as a shooter could see a lot of low fg% nights.

His defense looked pretty decent when watching him, as far as rebounding, that's something he'll learn in time with figuring how the ball will bounce, I'd be happy as long as he makes sure his man doesn't get the offensive rebound.

gswoaktown
12-20-2011, 05:21 AM
Klay is going to be a really good player. He'll definitely be a starter and will average about 21 - 24 ppg for his career, when he gets starter minutes. He has great instincts and can read spacing really well. E.g., see how the defender is playing him and make the right move to either pull up for a J or taking it to the hole. The only question about his game is how well he can play D. He's strong and long, so posting up on him won't be a real option. His lateral quickness will determine how far off the defender he has to play.

likemystylez
12-20-2011, 11:23 AM
Klay is going to be a really good player. He'll definitely be a starter and will average about 21 - 24 ppg for his career, when he gets starter minutes. He has great instincts and can read spacing really well. E.g., see how the defender is playing him and make the right move to either pull up for a J or taking it to the hole. The only question about his game is how well he can play D. He's strong and long, so posting up on him won't be a real option. His lateral quickness will determine how far off the defender he has to play.

if he averages 21-24 for his carreer, he will likely be considered for the hall of fame. I think that might be over valuing him though. I dont think he is competitive enough to blow up at the nba level... but i could be wrong.

If this was a 20ppg carreer scorer, he would not have slid in this weak draft. Most experts are saying this draft would have 2 or 3 lotto picks in a reg draft meaning in an average draft... klay thompson would likely go late teens or mid 20s..... not usually where you find hall of fame players (esp if you are the warriors drafting... heck they dont even draft rotation players with lotto picks - Ike diogue, patrick obryant, todd fuller etc.)

likemystylez
12-20-2011, 11:34 AM
Klay cannot have a breakout season unless we trade Monta.

well- hold your horses. if klay is THAT good, he will find a way to get on the floor... as jim barnett says... a great player will always find a way to get on the floor, he will just make it impossible to take him out. You trade monta ellis if you get something back to make the team better and ONLY for that reason. You dont trade your best player for the sole reason of getting a rookie in a horrible draft more playing time.

Klay really hasnt done anything to stun the nba so far. Jerry west is praising him... (but its not uncommon for a front office to hype up their recent lotto pick... I remember MUllin comparing ike diogue to Elton Brand)....

Now despite what front office might have verbally expressed about Klay thompson- I would still have some concern about how ready he is. The team brought in Brandon Rush (who will be a rotation player at the same position as klay thompson). This wasnt a salary move as both rush and amundson have expiring contracts and infact rush makes about 300k more than amundson this year. They made this move because they believe they have a void at the back up wing position (and rush is a borderline starter through out his carreer so he will get minutes). Sometimes actions speak louder than words

What the rush deal could also mean is that the team is building solid depth at the 2 spot in an effort to trade monta ellis for an upgrade somewhere else.... or they might just think rush can help the team more than amundson regardless of position.

Scoots
12-20-2011, 12:07 PM
Interesting point Stylez ... he's not a supreme athlete, but he's a very good athlete, he's a very good shooter, a good passer, ball handler, defense and rebounding are we'll see, but is his DRIVE to be great enough to get him there? Interesting that what we don't know about Klay is his defense and rebounding both skills that are more desire and drive than anything else.

MackShock
12-20-2011, 01:12 PM
It could be that we have a void at the 2 spot which is why we traded for Rush..or it could be that plus it frees up a spot to give Tyler a chance to crack the rotation. I mean, as it stands now, Udoh will be backing up Biedrins. Who's going to backup David Lee? Kwame Brown isn't in shape yet so I'm assuming Tyler gets the first crack at it, since Julian "Beast" Khazzouh got cut..

WestCoastSportz
12-20-2011, 01:28 PM
Even though what a player does during game time is the most important thing, there are a lot of other aspects that scouts and guys like West use determine a players potential. Whether its practicing or his understanding of the game. Some guys, just don't get the nuances of the game while for some guys, like Curry, it comes natural. I think Klay could be one of those guys.

gswoaktown
12-20-2011, 02:28 PM
likemystylez, you make it sound like the guys making the draft selections actually can read the future, or have some kind of crystal ball. If that were the case, then Monta would NOT have been picked in the 2nd round, same for Arenas. Obviously Klay can prove he should've been picked in the top 5 if he delivers, which I think he will. He doesn't look like a guy to pass up an open shot, and is willing to take charge. Just ask Kwame Brown if the GM's and talent scouts can always pick right.