PDA

View Full Version : East with a HUGE advantage this year???

NFLNBA
12-17-2011, 03:11 PM
Just something i wanted all my peeps opinion on!

With this compressed schedule, all the back2back2back games ect does the East have a HUGE advantage because they travel a lot less? All the teams are close together out east and the miles of travel distance is a lot shorter then teams spread out in the west.

Opinions???

8lllllD
12-17-2011, 03:23 PM
lol

Tony_Starks
12-17-2011, 03:27 PM
Im pretty sure they'll try to make the schedule as travel friendly as possible for everyone. But wait my bad I forget this is Stern we're talking about. He may very well make the small market teams travel less and hit the big market teams with multiple 8 game cross country road trips.......

tredigs
12-17-2011, 03:39 PM
Not sure about that (look a little closer at the schedule and give some examples...?), but it might be a valid point. I do know that there's going to be a lot of absolutely ruthless stretches for these dudes just by the sheer amount of games they're playing: 7 games in 10 nights with a mix of east-coast home/away is one I saw for the Warriors. And this is a league where most retired players openly admit that the second half of a back-to-back is just considered a throwaway game.

I've heard talk that it's possible Popovich won't even take Duncan/Parker/Ginobili to certain away games to allow for rest.

Teams like the Celtics/Lakers/Spurs are in big trouble given their age and the fact that they're still marquee teams who play other marquee teams more often than the Hornets/Kings, etc of the league for tv ratings purposes (i.e., tougher schedule).

NFLNBA
12-17-2011, 03:40 PM
They were talking about it on ESPN radio and saying how much more time the west teams spend time on planes with farther traveling add it up through a season and its a big difference in rest time and jet lag. With it being to compressed season and all these back 2 backs and tripple games in a row its gonna be more taxing on West teams

Zweaty
12-17-2011, 03:43 PM
Obviously playing back-to-back-to-back games are more easier than traveling in a plane.

sep11ie
12-17-2011, 03:49 PM
You know they don't have to run from city to city right?

NFLNBA
12-17-2011, 03:58 PM
Obviously playing back-to-back-to-back games are more easier than traveling in a plane.

Im confused where your going with that? If your playing a back2back2back as a west cost team say the Lakers the teams are a lot more spread out with only having the Kings, Warriors, and Clippers near by. Where a team like New York and east coast teams have 3 quarters of the NBA closer to them.

They showed the travel distance difference between the LAkers and Celtics and it was THOUSANDS of miles difference more travel distance for Lakers

NFLNBA
12-17-2011, 04:00 PM

LMAO thats funny but yes i know that, games end late and im saying only having to do a 2 hour plane trip to each city is nothing to having to do a average of 6 hours a plane trip. A lot more sleep and rest and less jet lag for east coast teams

clydebino
12-17-2011, 04:05 PM

That would be like The amazing race meets the NBA haha

tredigs
12-17-2011, 04:07 PM
Im confused where your going with that? If your playing a back2back2back as a west cost team say the Lakers the teams are a lot more spread out with only having the Kings, Warriors, and Clippers near by. Where a team like New York and east coast teams have 3 quarters of the NBA closer to them.

They showed the travel distance difference between the LAkers and Celtics and it was THOUSANDS of miles difference more travel distance for Lakers

Probably not the best example given that they're in separate conferences?...

But you do have teams like Oklahoma City in the western conference and even in the same division as Portland - which is indeed thousands of miles from OKC. They're fortunate that they're young, because their travel schedule given their distance/marquee factor (again, have more games against the popular/tougher teams just for the ratings) will be ridiculous.

Travel time/jet-lag in the NBA is probably the most overlooked aspect of the game, I will agree with that. I played soccer in college over in Hawaii and we used to group together 5 games in 7 days across multiple states on our road trips. By day three/four it was almost a running joke bothering to play. Everybody was exhausted and ****ing useless.

Try it, dude. Insane how tiring a multi-game/state roadtrip is. The older teams are going to struggle big time this year unless they significantly cut playing time, I'm telling you.

THE MTL
12-17-2011, 04:27 PM
Just something i wanted all my peeps opinion on!

With this compressed schedule, all the back2back2back games ect does the East have a HUGE advantage because they travel a lot less? All the teams are close together out east and the miles of travel distance is a lot shorter then teams spread out in the west.

Opinions???

Are they running these distances???? or something. Last time I checked they were on airplanes.

And I dont understand your whole distance factor when you can get from Cali to NYC in 6 hrs on a plane. Going from LA to Denver is like what? 2 hrs maybe?

Its not significant.

IndiansFan337
12-17-2011, 04:36 PM
The West is still deeper, but the East probably has the better teams at the top of the conference.

tredigs
12-17-2011, 04:39 PM
Are they running these distances???? or something. Last time I checked they were on airplanes.

And I dont understand your whole distance factor when you can get from Cali to NYC in 6 hrs on a plane. Going from LA to Denver is like what? 2 hrs maybe?

Its not significant.

Looking at the Warriors schedule, they have 11 games in 15 nights - 4 road trips in that span. Then they get a day off and play another 6 games in 8 nights on a road trip.

"It's not significant". Have you ever traveled that much?? Haha. Guy, these players are going to be WORTHLESS on the tail end of these stretches. Bet accordingly...

Vinylman
12-17-2011, 04:50 PM
Looking at the Warriors schedule, they have 11 games in 15 nights - 4 road trips in that span. Then they get a day off and play another 6 games in 8 nights on a road trip.

"It's not significant". Have you ever traveled that much?? Haha. Guy, these players are going to be WORTHLESS on the tail end of these stretches. Bet accordingly...

SHHHHHH..... quit it... we are all counting on it taking vegas at least 6 weeks to figure this out... I have a bunch of geek buddies who are developing a betting model for this already... i expect it to be hugely profitable...

the same guys perfected a road team mlb model over the last 6 years.... I don't even like baseball or watch it but made a ton of money following the model this past year... gonna double my per unit bets next year