PDA

View Full Version : Who has the worst front office in the NBA?

Tebow15Time
12-17-2011, 12:50 PM
thought this forum needed a change from the constant knicks threads about austin rautins, baron davis, and how they will win a championship. so, here we go:

Who has the worst front office the the NBA, nomonies:

L.A Clippers:

1.Trading Baron Davis and the #1 pick in the 2011 Draft for Mo Williams :facepalm:. obviously, at the time, they didnt know they would get that high, but they knew that the pick wld have been a top 10 pick, the mere fact that they could have waited until the offseason and still made that trade astounds me. the mere fact that they could have drafted williams or irving to add to their roster vs just adding mo williams is astounding.

2. Trading Eric Gordon(an allstar calibur player in his 4th season), Chris Kaman, Aminu, and a top 10 pick in the 2012 draft, for Chris Paul, where as if they waited, they probably could have forced NOLA to take eric bledsoe, kaman, aminu and the pick is just amazing.

why not trade away all our assets for a player who wont sign an extention? makes sense to me :rolleyes:

even if they said no, you still have cap space in 2012, and the pick, could have added a harrison barnes to the young core of gordon, griffin and jordan. but hey, i guess they will have to settle for cp3, who will probably play a career high 66 games this year :rimshot:

Golden State Warriors:

1. Why not amnesty a player who was scheduled to make 4 million dollars in this current season, and who was goingto come off the books in 2012, instead of a player making over 9 million for the next 3 and is more injury prone than T-mac

good job fools

and to compound that:

2. Why not give kwame brown a 7 million dollar deal? good move!

Orlando:

Why not trade howard now? do you really think he is going to stay?:facepalm:

better yet, do you really think that you can get a better offer at the deadline? take that 3 team deal with NJ and POR :brook lopez,gerald wallace and RUN!

guess there really arent any more nomonies for this award, i wld nominate tornonto, but its a waste, yet again, for the billionth offseason in a row, they made a move to get an international/european/african player who has no skill, why not add all the international/non american players to one team? good luck winning a ring, and welcome home Jamal Maglore!

ManRam
12-17-2011, 12:55 PM
I actually think most Magic fans would have been upset with the Gerald Wallace trade. Why get him? He doesn't help the team rebuild a ton. He'd be a great add if we kept Dwight, but not if we didn't.

Also, there's no reason to rush trading Dwight. We have until mid-march to move him if we want to.

The reasons a lot of people don't like Otis have little to do with what you posted. Even so, Otis got us to a Finals and two ECFs. Name me all the GMs over the last decade who can say that? It's not many...

Greet
12-17-2011, 01:00 PM
I actually think most Magic fans would have been upset with the Gerald Wallace trade. Why get him? He doesn't help the team rebuild a ton. He'd be a great add if we kept Dwight, but not if we didn't.

Also, there's no reason to rush trading Dwight. We have until mid-march to move him if we want to.

The reasons a lot of people don't like Otis have little to do with what you posted. Even so, Otis got us to a Finals and two ECFs. Name me all the GMs over the last decade who can say that? It's not many...

Dwight got you to the Finals and two ECFs

Tebow15Time
12-17-2011, 01:01 PM

The reasons a lot of people don't like Otis have little to do with what you posted. Even so, [B]*The injury to Kevin Garnett* got us to the Finals and two ECFs. Name me all the GMs over the last decade who can say that? It's not many...

i think we can all agree that the injury to KG got yall there, and the mere fact that yall lost to them in what? 5 games the following year pretty much ends all of otis's credibility when it comes to getting them to anywhere outside the ECF

imo, the best deal wld be noah,gibson,deng, and picks, but dwight doesnt want chi

Chill_Will_24
12-17-2011, 01:03 PM

Agreed. Otis gets an unfair amount of hate. I think CLE and LAC have pretty bad FO. MIN is another team that gets a lot of hate but has done really well in their rebuild.

Ill take LAC.. they overpaid imo for CP3 and giving away that pick last year was pretty bad too.

Chill_Will_24
12-17-2011, 01:05 PM

Im pretty sure Rashard Lewis and Hedo had a lot to do with that as well. I seem to remember a lot of game winning shots by those guys in the playoffs. Rafer Alston was also a great help for them which was an Otis move

llemon
12-17-2011, 01:08 PM
Historically, I'd say Nets, Clippers and TWolves have had the worst FOs.

And, of course, there was the Ted Stepian era in Cleveland and the Isiah Thomas era in New York.

Golden State and Wizards (Bullets) have had some pretty bad runs also.

justinnum1
12-17-2011, 01:12 PM
Has to be the magic

Heediot
12-17-2011, 01:13 PM
Warriors. Kwame Brown for 7mil, enuff said.

They amnestied Charlie Bell and got rid of other pieces in an attempt to acquire Chander then Jordan. Now they are paying Biedrens and Jordan a combine 15 million plus for 5 spot lol.

They made the Playoffs once in the last 17 years (as a 7th or 8th seed at that). That's just brutal. Recently, they are the worst drafting team as well.

Heediot
12-17-2011, 01:16 PM
As bad as Otis Smiths trades have been of late, he did a great Job building around Dwight prior to them reaching the finals. He has had a bad run but I wouldn't say he is the worst.

Heediot
12-17-2011, 01:19 PM

I agree. Many on psd are too reactionary rather than big pictured.

VillaMaravilla
12-17-2011, 01:22 PM
I cant put Orlando up there yet, Howard seems to flip flop every 5 minutes kind of reminds me when Kobe did the same a couple of years ago and guess what he went no where same is going to happen with Dwight,,,,,now that clipper trade has got to be up there

llemon
12-17-2011, 01:23 PM
I agree. Many on psd are too reactionary rather than big pictured.

"Fool's Gold"

Mr_Jones
12-17-2011, 01:24 PM
Probably the Bucks for consistently sucking.

ManRam
12-17-2011, 01:25 PM

That's just not true though.

That year Nelson and Lewis were all-stars, and Hedo easily could have been as well. He had great complimentary players around him...

That's a cop out.

llemon
12-17-2011, 01:25 PM
As bad as Otis Smiths trades have been of late, he did a great Job building around Dwight prior to them reaching the finals. He has had a bad run but I wouldn't say he is the worst.

Yeah, that Rashard Lewis signing was good stuff.

LakersKB24
12-17-2011, 01:26 PM
Has to be the NBA itself.

llemon
12-17-2011, 01:28 PM
That's just not true though.

That year Nelson and Lewis were all-stars, and Hedo easily could have been as well. He had great complimentary players around him...

That's a cop out.

And fortunately, Lewis didn't have to go up against Garnett in that playoffs.

xnick5757
12-17-2011, 01:30 PM
timberwolves

to quote simmons -

Minnesota paid $19 million for four years for J.J. Barea, making him the third free agent point guard in three years that they've signed for at least $16 million (even though they spent three first-round picks on point guards over that same timeframe)

rhymeratic
12-17-2011, 01:32 PM
RAPTOPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! EASY

These fools drafted Rafeal Aruojo.
Then they didn't learn and drafted the softest 7ft C EVER in Bargnani.

GeekInThePink
12-17-2011, 01:32 PM
Am I the only person who sees the Kwame Brown signing as a real good one? 7 million, 1 year for a quality center (averaged 8/7 in 25 mins) sounds like a damn good deal to me.

xnick5757
12-17-2011, 01:36 PM
Am I the only person who sees the Kwame Brown signing as a real good one? 7 million, 1 year for a quality center (averaged 8/7 in 25 mins) sounds like a damn good deal to me.

:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

GeekInThePink
12-17-2011, 01:37 PM
:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

Laugh all you want, decent center's are rare commodities, I'm not saying hes an all-star or anything, but he's decent.

blastmasta26
12-17-2011, 01:38 PM
People are exaggerating the Kwame Brown signing. He's actually a good defensive center despite the stigma that he has as a former first overall pick. And even if you think $7 mil is too much, it's only a one year deal and doesn't hinder them at all.

llemon
12-17-2011, 01:39 PM

Kwame is a tough physical Center, which Warriors could use. For one year, it's not a bad move.

Unfortunately, they have used their one amnesty option, and Biedrins is still a Warrior.

xnick5757
12-17-2011, 01:40 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0yVg5YLQhQ&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxmUfMmx3Os&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueqGQIf9XLk&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDfgPv_UZDg&feature=related

that is all

BrandoCommando
12-17-2011, 01:44 PM
Warriors. Kwame Brown for 7mil, enuff said.

They amnestied Charlie Bell and got rid of other pieces in an attempt to acquire Chander then Jordan. Now they are paying Biedrens and Jordan a combine 15 million plus for 5 spot lol.

They made the Playoffs once in the last 17 years (as a 7th or 8th seed at that). That's just brutal. Recently, they are the worst drafting team as well.

How is GS the worst drafting team as of late?

Denver-boy
12-17-2011, 01:53 PM
Suns or Utah Jazz!! theyre both the fastest teams to have playoffs relevant drop-off.

Heediot
12-17-2011, 02:05 PM
How is GS the worst drafting team as of late?

Brandon Wright, Anthony Randolph, Ekpe Udoh (Jury's still out), Patrick O'Bryant, Bellinili.

These are your first rounders from the last 6-7 years. The only one you got nailed was Steph Curry lol. You stole Monta Ellis in the 2nd round in '05 so I'll give you that. The drafting has been pretty pathetic to me lol.

LanceUpperCut
12-17-2011, 02:12 PM
The Knicks have been horrible. The guys they goy now have nothing to do with management it's all just the city. Even then Amare is overpaid so is Tyson and Melo gutted the team.

Dolfan305
12-17-2011, 02:15 PM
Magic. They had the second highest payroll in the NBA last season and look at the players they had.

Bryrob58
12-17-2011, 02:21 PM

Khalifa21
12-17-2011, 02:29 PM
I'm really surprised no one's mentioned the Pistons yet.

In recent years, they've been horrible... Gordon and Villanueva were horrible contracts for role players. They've just thrown a ton of money at Stuckey who isn't gonna lead them anywhere. The whole situation with Rip last season was a joke.

The only thing that's let them off is their drafting, with Monroe and Knight being a nice little/big combo to build around for the next few years.

In terms of FA signings, I think they're up there as being one of the worst.

llemon
12-17-2011, 02:31 PM
Bobcats seem to be flying under the radar here

Is that considered a legitimate NBA FO?

diu9leilomo
12-17-2011, 02:32 PM
RAPTOPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! EASY

These fools drafted Rafeal Aruojo.
Then they didn't learn and drafted the softest 7ft C EVER in Bargnani.

it was 2 different gm :facepalm:
but i agree, cant believe bargnani was the 1st OVERALL

Bryrob58
12-17-2011, 02:34 PM

ThuglifeJ
12-17-2011, 03:10 PM
Bobcats, clippers, bucks, pistons. But worst one id say
Otis smith of orlando.

Dudes an airhead. Signed Rashard Lewis to a top 5 worst contract all time. Broke up a team that went to the finals and brings in new players and expects them to all adapt to a ******** orlando offense (sorry hard to watch) within one year or theyr out. Panics every year since they lost finals. Took gilbert arenas fat *** contract in and gave him a half season shot. Traded BACK for hedo to try an make up for mistakes. And to top it all off is trying out larry hughes....I could go on with this guy

JasonJohnHorn
12-17-2011, 03:22 PM
The craptors have easily the worst front office in the league, and as long as Coangelo is in there calling the shots, the team is going no where. I cant even begin to list all the mistakes he's made with draft picks, trades and free agent signings. SMFH!

Tebow15Time
12-17-2011, 03:29 PM
why are villanueva, gordon and stucky still on the pistons???

do they honestly think their contracts are worth it?

Tony_Starks
12-17-2011, 03:37 PM
No way Orlando should be in this conversation. Trying moves that don't pan out is not the same as being incompetent. At least Otis has been attempting to put a squad together.

No way the Clippers should be in this conversation. They overpaid for a superstar but at the end of the day..... HE'S A SUPERSTAR! They'll have the most exciting team in league this year and are finally legit.

The biggest losers are a tie between Minny's David Kahn and Phoenix Rob Sarver, with the slight edge going to Sarver. He singlehandedly dismantled a perinneal 60+ win team for years by just being an idiot, AND he's letting Nash rot there while he still has trade value just for ticket sales.

David Kahn, hey man its well documented, I don't even really have enough time to chronicle it.

sunsfan88
12-17-2011, 05:01 PM
Wow how can the OP possibly leave out our front office?

Shows how credible the OP is...

rockbottom2010
12-17-2011, 05:22 PM
i wanna know why the raptors poll is there....i know what colangelo is doing....hes going after anthony davis in the draft...plus he signed veterans to a one year contract....this draft is super deep

rockbottom2010
12-17-2011, 05:23 PM
it was 2 different gm :facepalm:
but i agree, cant believe bargnani was the 1st OVERALL

that draft year was week....the only legit players in that draft were bargnani and gay....

theheatles
12-17-2011, 05:32 PM
cavs, dan gilbert assured himself he'll never land a top free agent ever with his behavior

setman2000
12-17-2011, 05:33 PM
Based on recent moves going back to last season, Boston.

Nets/Raiders!
12-17-2011, 05:33 PM
Nets/Bobcats/Bucks respectively.

John Walls Era
12-17-2011, 05:36 PM
Pistons and its not even close. Look at some of the contracts handed out in the last 3 years. I'm not giving Joe Dumars some lifetime achievement award.

Hawkeye15
12-17-2011, 05:37 PM
How can anyone say the Pistons? 2004 Champs, 6 straight ECF's. Cmon.

I will keep it modern, since the average age here is well below 30.

LA Clippers, Bobcats, Toronto, Washington, Sacramento, and yes, my Wolves, have all been run pretty bad.

Hawkeye15
12-17-2011, 05:39 PM
Pistons and its not even close. Look at some of the contracts handed out in the last 3 years. I'm not giving Joe Dumars some lifetime achievement award.

I guess some are simply answering who has the worst front office currently than....

Its the Wolves, since they finished with the fewest wins. Whichever team has the fewest this year gets the award when we ask following the season in that case.

Hawkeye15
12-17-2011, 05:40 PM
Cleveland does deserve mention here. Drafting the best player to come along in 20 years doesn't make you a good front office. The crap they surrounded Bron with was obvious when he left. Not trading Hickson for Amare is ridiculous. Throwing a huge deal at Sideshow Bob doesn't make sense either.

Cracka2HI!
12-17-2011, 05:42 PM
Historically it's probably the Clippers, but I don't why we're even a canidate now? Clippers have one the best FO's in the league. Pulled out of the CP3 deal when they insisted on Gordon, then tried to re-sign Gordon but his agent asked for $18 million. With that knowledge it was a no brainer to pick up Chris Paul!

Hawkeye15
12-17-2011, 05:47 PM
Historically it's probably the Clippers, but I don't why we're even a canidate now? Clippers have one the best FO's in the league. Pulled out of the CP3 deal when they insisted on Gordon, then tried to re-sign Gordon but his agent asked for $18 million. With that knowledge it was a no brainer to pick up Chris Paul!

Why can't it be the Clippers? They have had the #1 pick 3 times, finally got it right in the no brainer Blake (I still don't think front offices should be given credit for landing the #1 pick in a draft where that pick is an obvious stud, the only reason you got him is because you were so poorly run in the first place), and we don't know what the end result will be in the CP3/Gordon trade. You also just signed Butler to a nice deal, and he hasn't done squat in 3 years.

I think short term, this was a good trade for the Clips. But trading Minny's pick AND Gordon was way too much imho. While Paul's knees are retiring in 3-4 years, Gordon will be a top 2 SG in the NBA. And Minny's pick could be one of the following: Drummond, Lamb, Davis, Barnes, Sullinger, Jones, etc, etc.

what54!?
12-17-2011, 05:51 PM
Bobcats were the first team that came to my mind so I'll go with them

KnicksR4Real
12-17-2011, 05:56 PM
timberwolves

ManRam
12-17-2011, 05:56 PM
And fortunately, Lewis didn't have to go up against Garnett in that playoffs.

We get it...

leoncito
12-17-2011, 05:57 PM
Even though a lot of the trades didn't work out for Orlando in the last two years. Our front office has spent more money than most teams. A lot of people will say that is foolish. But ask a Kings fan whose owners are penny pinchers and don't give their teams a chance with the product they put out.

Tony_Starks
12-17-2011, 05:58 PM
Clippers are always going to be the popular choice but in actuality they have made quite a few nice moves over the years. If you go back and look at some of the talent they've had over the years its a impressive list. They just were never able to keep anyone because of Sterlings miserly ways but once the league started putting pressure on him to knock it off they have been quitely making some smart moves the past few years culminating with bringing in Paul....

Chill_Will_24
12-17-2011, 05:59 PM
Minnesota gets too much of a bad rep. I would love to have the future that they have.

Reptar
12-17-2011, 06:00 PM
Top 10 pick for Mo Williams and no cap relief. The clippers have to take this one. Worst trade ever.

Chill_Will_24
12-17-2011, 06:00 PM
Clippers are always going to be the popular choice but in actuality they have made quite a few nice moves over the years. If you go back and look at some of the talent they've had over the years its a impressive list. They just were never able to keep anyone because of Sterlings miserly ways but once the league started putting pressure on him to knock it off they have been quitely making some smart moves the past few years culminating with bringing in Paul....

They just landed the best PG in the league with all the assets that their "horrible FO" landed them. They have a horrible owner thou

Reptar
12-17-2011, 06:04 PM
Its pretty clear that its the clippers. They have been the joke of the league since forever.

John Walls Era
12-17-2011, 06:05 PM
I guess some are simply answering who has the worst front office currently than....

Its the Wolves, since they finished with the fewest wins. Whichever team has the fewest this year gets the award when we ask following the season in that case.

Joe Dumars have made the most questionable moves. I can give him some credit for winning ONE championship, but at some point we need to be more critical of GMs that have won rings (either as GMs or players).

Yes Wolves would be up there as well, but at least they have potential. Pistons have like 2 players who will suffer from other players that have terrible contracts.

John Walls Era
12-17-2011, 06:06 PM
Its pretty clear that its the clippers. They have been the joke of the league since forever.

They got CP3 so thats something. Of course no one has seen anything out of him yet so the jury is still out.

llemon
12-17-2011, 06:10 PM
Plenty of FOs to pick from.

All-Time.

For periods of time.

For one season.

We all have our opinions.

Tony_Starks
12-17-2011, 06:11 PM
They just landed the best PG in the league with all the assets that their "horrible FO" landed them. They have a horrible owner thou

Exactly. And mind you they've been gathering those assets for years but you know how it is, people just go with popular opinion these days....

Wade>You
12-17-2011, 06:35 PM
Wow, there's so many out there.

But I'd say...

CLIPPERS: David Stern built the current Clipper team himself. Blake Griffin (rigged draft), Billups (rigged amnesty bid), CP3 (rigged trade).

If not for a commissioner that interferes with his own league more than Vince McMahon, the Clippers would continue on for the next decade as the worst franchise in all of pro sports.

Aust
12-17-2011, 06:45 PM
Yeah, that BDavis trade was kind of disrespectful

Chill_Will_24
12-17-2011, 06:47 PM
Exactly. And mind you they've been gathering those assets for years but you know how it is, people just go with popular opinion these days....

Agreed

dannyh1469
12-17-2011, 10:42 PM
sorry but by far and away the worst front office is the charlotte bobcats they make questionable moves almost every year and they where the original team that drafted kwame brown

ZebraCity916
12-17-2011, 10:51 PM
Gonna have to go with the T-Wolves. Sorry Minny fans.

Warriors are bad with trades but they always seem to find good young talent. Players that can shoot and catch fire.

Toronto doesn't have the best Front Office either.

I think Orlando is ****in' up right now too.

Clippers redeemed themselves with the moves they made this year.

ZebraCity916
12-17-2011, 10:54 PM
sorry but by far and away the worst front office is the charlotte bobcats they make questionable moves almost every year and they where the original team that drafted kwame brown

Wizards drafted Kwame Brown.

Cracka2HI!
12-17-2011, 11:17 PM
Why can't it be the Clippers? They have had the #1 pick 3 times, finally got it right in the no brainer Blake (I still don't think front offices should be given credit for landing the #1 pick in a draft where that pick is an obvious stud, the only reason you got him is because you were so poorly run in the first place), and we don't know what the end result will be in the CP3/Gordon trade. You also just signed Butler to a nice deal, and he hasn't done squat in 3 years.

I think short term, this was a good trade for the Clips. But trading Minny's pick AND Gordon was way too much imho. While Paul's knees are retiring in 3-4 years, Gordon will be a top 2 SG in the NBA. And Minny's pick could be one of the following: Drummond, Lamb, Davis, Barnes, Sullinger, Jones, etc, etc.The 1st sentence of my post said historically it is the Clippers. If you're talking worst now, I don't see how my Clipps can be considered cloes to your Wolves who only significant moves in 5 years have been picking up PG's. Sure the Paul trade. might bust and I don't give the FO office credit for picking Blake. I'm very sorry to say that our moves at their worst don't compare the mess in Minny. Atleast we didn't trade your pick next year Marko Jaric. I'd rather overpay for Chris Paul and Caron Butler than Darko and Ridinour.

llemon
12-17-2011, 11:22 PM
Wizards drafted Kwame Brown.

Michael Jordan drafted Kwame Brown.

Which brings us back to the Bobcats.

spreadeagle
12-17-2011, 11:27 PM
Raptors have been bad lately but they do have a hard time getting players up to Canada so that's not really the GM's fault, and they tried to build around Bosh but hes not a franchise player..last three draft picks for them have been very good, and they are not locked into any bad deals beside Jose..Some of the moves the Magic make make me go wtf? also Bobcats are ran terribly

Cracka2HI!
12-17-2011, 11:31 PM
Some people are closed minded and unable to see the big picutre. The Baron David for Mo Williams trade was not for the 1st pick. It was for a lottery from the team with the 8th worst record. We got very unlikly but I still wouldn't take that one back for Kyrie Irving. We HAD to create future cap space to keep Blake happy. Baron Davis and Kyrie Irving weren't going to keep Blake Griffin on the Clippers. Neither was Eric Gordon. Anyone see the tape of Blake Griffin and DeAndre Jordan celebrating after the CP3 trade. I don't think Blake Griffin thinks we have a bad Front Office and that matters most.

TopsyTurvy
12-18-2011, 12:08 AM
If you're looking at the total picture, it's easily the Clippers in the post-Sterling (move to LA) era.

Notable Highlights:

Never won a division title

Made the playoffs THREE times (over 27 years)

Hold some rather dubious losing season records (including having gone 12-70 [not so bad considering the number of teams that have gone 13-69, but it's still bad])

Took 13 years to get to their FIRST winning season (Took 22 years for their first won playoff series)

Arch Stanton
12-18-2011, 02:00 AM
The Knicks. They're a premiere location for FA's yet they've stunk for several years. But I do think they're on the right track now. Or at least a winning track.

heatbb
12-18-2011, 03:03 AM
Cavaliers. They didn't do anything to keep LeBron.

Jiggie
12-18-2011, 03:14 AM
As a Knick fan, I'm wondering how the heck the Knicks FO didn't make this list...