PDA

View Full Version : Everyone sleeping on the Grizzlies

HouRealCoach
12-16-2011, 09:16 PM
They have all of their players back from the playoff run except Battier but they now have Rudy Gay back, and he, Mike Conley, Gasol, Arthur, Vasquez, Young, and Mayo are all young understand their role and getting better.

Not too mention that Xavier Henry will now be there, along with Selby lol...and the best perimeter defender in the nba

They have toughness, teamwork, inside scorers, outside scorers, defenders, solid pg's

Imo they are better than Lakers, Dallas, LAC, Thunder, & SA... I have them coming out the west

Why are they not being mentioned as much as others?

MissesThe90s
12-16-2011, 09:18 PM
I agree that they are a solid squad with a TON of upside.. But I would put them on the same level as LA or DAL. Maybe SA as they age, but I think they have a little ways to go before they are called elite. Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan, but I don't think they're quite there yet.

MissesThe90s
12-16-2011, 09:19 PM
Sorry, *wouldn't* put them on the same level.. my bad!

S-Dot
12-16-2011, 09:19 PM
I think ppl are giving Memphis the respect they deserve. I hope they can find out what they want to do with O.J. Mayo. He's had a rollercoaster career with them.

JohnnyOutcast
12-16-2011, 09:54 PM
Can't blame them bearskins rugs are pretty comfortable.

DaVille
12-16-2011, 09:58 PM
I think Grizzlies go WCF this year. The finals is not beyond the realms of possibility.

USMCLaker
12-16-2011, 10:03 PM
If they stay healthy they can go far.

waveycrockett
12-16-2011, 10:14 PM
They need to do it again to prove it wasn't a fluke. I actually think Rudy Gay makes them worse because they ran thru their bigs without him and he is a ball stopper

ManRam
12-16-2011, 10:15 PM
I don't think people are sleeping on them at all.

ESPN had some poll about WC teams...and the Lakers, Mavs, Thunder, Clips and GRIZZLIES were named.

John Walls Era
12-16-2011, 10:17 PM
Because no one knows whats up with Marc Gasol (aka most underrated player on that team).

Lakeshow24KB
12-16-2011, 10:21 PM
I wouldn't say they're better than LA, Dallas, OKC, or SA but they're definitely getting there. I see a rematch of the Semi-finals from last year (OKC and MEM) but in the WCF next year.

MrfadeawayJB
Underated as always. It's ok, we will get respect when we smash your team as we did to almost every team in the league last year

John Walls Era
Underated as always. It's ok, we will get respect when we smash your team as we did to almost every team in the league last year

There will be no smashing unless Marc comes back.

bholly
12-16-2011, 10:23 PM
Because no one knows whats up with Marc Gasol (aka most underrated player on that team).

There will be no smashing unless Marc comes back.

Didn't he re-sign days ago?

Wade>You
12-16-2011, 10:24 PM
They have all of their players back from the playoff run except Battier but they now have Rudy Gay back, and he, Mike Conley, Gasol, Arthur, Vasquez, Young, and Mayo are all young understand their role and getting better.

Not too mention that Xavier Henry will now be there, along with Selby lol...and the best perimeter defender in the nba

They have toughness, teamwork, inside scorers, outside scorers, defenders, solid pg's

Imo they are better than Lakers, Dallas, LAC, Thunder, & SA... I have them coming out the west

Why are they not being mentioned as much as others?I'd say they're a contender to reach the WCF. Any other team in the West that reaches the WCF will be no slouch, IMO. But yeah, I'm not sleeping on the Grizz, I think they're a great team when everyone's clicking. Their playoff run provided great experience for them to build on.

Hellcrooner
12-16-2011, 10:24 PM
deppends.

If they understand that their best shot is that Gay/zach/Marc/COnley/Mayo ALL of them get a SIMILAR number of shots a game ( or more exactly in each game go with the one that is on fire, look for the open man etc etc) and forget bout EGOS they could very well WIN THE DAMM RING with no player averagin more than 16 a game.

Chances of Zach and Gay ( and mayo) accepting such a thing are unlikely.

1st round or second round exit at best.
Late lotto if egos lead to lockeroom trouble.

John Walls Era
12-16-2011, 10:25 PM
Didn't he re-sign days ago?

We get signings about Rautins, Jamal Magloire, Redd and Bonzi Wells, but not relevant signings in the NBA forum :pity:

Birdmannn
12-16-2011, 10:47 PM
What happened to the trade sending Mayo to the Pacers?
Grizz have a nice team, always enjoy watching. I was quite surprised with the upset of the Spurs and with Gay back I only see them playing better.

DragonJaii
12-16-2011, 11:55 PM
very nice team.. great players and im not sleeping on them.

mzgrizz
12-16-2011, 11:59 PM
We will be good to great. Maybe to WCF. Maybe all the way if they click the way they did this spring.

Ty Fast
12-17-2011, 12:14 AM

they are good but wont come out of the west.

iggypop123
12-17-2011, 12:15 AM
dont know if they can recapture the special momentum they had going. they had everything going their way until that game 7 when their shooting died and the thunder couldnt miss their jumpshots. i do agree they are sleeping on them. people are crowning the clippers. they were a lottery team. they wont be contenders at least yet.

Raps18-19 Champ
12-17-2011, 12:17 AM
I wasn't sleeping with the Grizzlies.

dubh46
12-17-2011, 12:23 AM
Nobody in OKC is sleeping on them.

mzgrizz
12-17-2011, 12:24 AM
What happened to the trade sending Mayo to the Pacers?
Grizz have a nice team, always enjoy watching. I was quite surprised with the upset of the Spurs and with Gay back I only see them playing better.

We wanted him here and turned down the Pacers who then sent McRoberts to LA.

Ovratd1up
12-17-2011, 12:26 AM
Sounds really waaaaaaaaaaaarrrmmmm and comfy

mzgrizz
12-17-2011, 12:27 AM
Nobody in OKC is sleeping on them.

Especially not OKC
Can't wait til 12/28 with our home opener with OKC !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Time to grind !!!!

TylerSL
12-17-2011, 12:27 AM

Battier left remember.....

Look, Memphis is good, and I think could be a 4 or 5 seed and could sneak into WCF. But they are NOT the best team in the West. The West is OKC's to lose IMO.

dubh46
12-17-2011, 12:28 AM
Especially not OKC
Time to grind !!!!

I have it marked too!! Should be a great game!!

mzgrizz
12-17-2011, 12:32 AM

Look, Memphis is good, and I think could be a 4 or 5 seed and could sneak into WCF. But they are NOT the best team in the West. The West is OKC's to lose IMO.

Remember we still have TA.......he'll pick up that slack right where Shane left it. And I feel certain he's about the only person in Memphis that was glad that Shane took off and will prove why !

TylerSL
12-17-2011, 12:52 AM
Remember we still have TA.......he'll pick up that slack right where Shane left it. And I feel certain he's about the only person in Memphis that was glad that Shane took off and will prove why !

Allen is great defender yes, we shall see.

AddiX
12-17-2011, 12:57 AM
What grizz did that no one else could do is somehow put together a team with Randolph as the key player.

I really don't think they will be better this hear than last year thought, I just don't see how they can be any better.

MrfadeawayJB
12-17-2011, 01:01 AM
^^^
Rudy Gay says hello

spurs4#5
12-17-2011, 01:01 AM
its not a good idea to sleep on grizzlies...they might bite you...

spurs4#5
12-17-2011, 01:03 AM
i for one will not be sleeping on grizzlies...no sir...im not gonna put myself in that type of situation...

btw...this is a thread for sleeping on bears enthusiast right?

AddiX
12-17-2011, 01:08 AM
^^^
Rudy Gay says hello

Honestly when Rudy played last year they looked worse. He has talent for sure, but the team responded to his injury quite well IMO.

Mr_Amaziing
12-17-2011, 01:10 AM
Especially not OKC
Time to grind !!!!

Just Bring It!

Gonna be one hell of a game

Bulls_fan90
12-17-2011, 01:12 AM
We get signings about Rautins, Jamal Magloire, Redd and Bonzi Wells, but not relevant signings in the NBA forum :pity:

http://www.prosportsdaily.com/forums/showthread.php?t=676447

Mr_Amaziing
12-17-2011, 01:28 AM
Honestly when Rudy played last year they looked worse. He has talent for sure, but the team responded to his injury quite well IMO.

Do you think they'll trade him?

Hellcrooner
12-17-2011, 01:43 AM
What grizz did that no one else could do is somehow put together a team with Randolph as the key player.

I really don't think they will be better this hear than last year thought, I just don't see how they can be any better.

COntract year.

Zach told the Fo he would only resign on the promise of them retaining Marc.

Way to litch from other dude.

AddiX
12-17-2011, 01:58 AM
Do you think they'll trade him?

Depends how he looks early in the season I guess, but I'm sure with the recent contracts to Randolph, and gasol, and the way the team looked once he was injured they'll be looking for a reason to let him go.

Hellcrooner
12-17-2011, 02:33 AM
Depends how he looks early in the season I guess, but I'm sure with the recent contracts to Randolph, and gasol, and the way the team looked once he was injured they'll be looking for a reason to let him go.

If they found a way to Trade Gay for a more defensive and team oriented dude like Igoudala they woudl be REALLY dangerous.

Theres a reason why they did MUCH MUCH MUCH better once he went out.

ohreally
12-17-2011, 02:35 AM
Memphis and Denver were my favorite teams in the league for the second half of last year. But if Golden State can start playing defense, and with the Clips now having Paul added, the West could be a fun conference this year.

At this point, I think I'd still be hoping that Memphis would come out of the West. If Denver plays like they did most of the second half, they would be my second favorite at this point. I do think Golden State could be an interesting team though, and I hope they can get to the playoffs.

Jenceman
12-17-2011, 03:22 AM

Battier is slowing down, not even close to the league's best perimeter defender...you're kidding yourself if you still believe that is the case.

hgtiger32
12-17-2011, 04:54 AM
I think BS said in one of his articles that the odds of Memphis winning the finals is something like 30-1!

Can you imagine how much you'd take home in that bet!?!

TylerSL
12-17-2011, 10:17 AM
Battier is slowing down, not even close to the league's best perimeter defender...you're kidding yourself if you still believe that is the case.

well yes its debatable now, but last year he was amazing. And this season he will have less of a work load which could prolong his career IMO.

DR_1
12-17-2011, 10:42 AM
I agree with the OP, Grizz are going to be very good.

abe_froman
12-17-2011, 10:44 AM
because they didnt make noise in free agency.people like to talk about they're new toys and what others gets,but they stayed quiet for the most part.they'll be good,but no they wont win the west like the op says

DR_1
12-17-2011, 10:46 AM
deppends.

If they understand that their best shot is that Gay/zach/Marc/COnley/Mayo ALL of them get a SIMILAR number of shots a game ( or more exactly in each game go with the one that is on fire, look for the open man etc etc) and forget bout EGOS they could very well WIN THE DAMM RING with no player averagin more than 16 a game.

Chances of Zach and Gay ( and mayo) accepting such a thing are unlikely.

1st round or second round exit at best.
Late lotto if egos lead to lockeroom trouble.
:facepalm: They will be second round at worst.

ll_eric_ll
12-17-2011, 10:50 AM
As of right now its
Okc
Memphis
Dallas/Lakers
But by the end of tha season i think itl be
Okc
Mavs
Grizz
Lakers

justinnum1
12-17-2011, 12:13 PM
They started playing really well when they got battier in the trade...now that they lost him, i will have to first see how they play.

Kakaroach
12-17-2011, 12:29 PM
Losing Battier hurts of course, but their still pretty much a lock to make the playoffs again with no injuries and nobody regresses. Z-Bo is a legit star and all that young talent is just gonna get better.

But why they continue trying to trade Mayo I'll never know. At this point he won't sign a contract extension if he hears his name being brought up all the time.

WVNowitzki
12-17-2011, 12:42 PM
Scary team who can pick anyone off at any time, but I'm not ready to anoint them as the team coming out of the West.

Still have to go through SAS - OKC - LA - DAL, etc and that's a lot talent to rise above. Though they are right in the hunt and I look to them to have a good season.

Heediot
12-17-2011, 12:45 PM
OKC, Memphis, and LAc are the future of the west. Yeah Memphis is solid, I can see them beating the Lakers or Mavs in the playoffs. Not saying they will, just a probability. I still like OKC coming out of the west this year.

MrfadeawayJB
12-17-2011, 01:05 PM

actually they started the winning streak with Rudy in the lineup. Then the injury ocurred, and at that point the cylinders were clicking. We just kept winning. We are a better team with Rudy, i promise you.

The same argument can be made with OJ, When he was suspended for those games we had a great record as well.

mzgrizz
12-17-2011, 01:31 PM
^^^
Rudy Gay says hello

:laugh:

mzgrizz
12-17-2011, 01:34 PM
Just Bring It!

Gonna be one hell of a game

I will personally take it !! Be there in my usual seats screaming my head off for my boys.............and will be glad to give a warm Southern welcome !

mzgrizz
12-17-2011, 01:39 PM
well yes its debatable now, but last year he was amazing. And this season he will have less of a work load which could prolong his career IMO.

Hope Miami didn't break the bank with him. His knees were nearly shot when he was with us the first go round; used to have to ice them up while in radio interviews 5-6 years ago. Felt he was a tad slow in the beginning of his second life with us and only came to life in the second round of the playoffs.
Don't get me wrong. I would have kept him because of his leadership abilities, but his prime defender status is gone IMO.
Now Tony Allen can reclaim his rightful role with us.

mzgrizz
12-17-2011, 01:42 PM
Losing Battier hurts of course, but their still pretty much a lock to make the playoffs again with no injuries and nobody regresses. Z-Bo is a legit star and all that young talent is just gonna get better.

But why they continue trying to trade Mayo I'll never know. At this point he won't sign a contract extension if he hears his name being brought up all the time.

Hello??????? We are not trying to trade Mayo. Check out the article in the Grizz forum from 2 days ago............

HouRealCoach
12-17-2011, 01:51 PM
I don't think people are sleeping on them at all.

ESPN had some poll about WC teams...and the Lakers, Mavs, Thunder, Clips and GRIZZLIES were named.

Yea they said vote for the team that will not be a top seed and Memphis got 60%

mzgrizz
12-17-2011, 02:08 PM
^^^^^^ hahah sour grapes don't taste so good

Badluck33
12-17-2011, 02:09 PM
The Grizzlies will win the NBA Championship........in NBA 2K4

mzgrizz
12-17-2011, 02:11 PM
The Grizzlies will win the NBA Championship........in NBA 2K4

:laugh:

It's all still amazing to have US talked about in these circles !!! We are staying humble , my friend

Dolfan305
12-17-2011, 02:19 PM
They Grizz had a nice run last season but at the end of the day they still only won one playoff series, lets calm down. They aren't on the same level as the Heat, Bulls. Mavs, Thunder etc.

HouRealCoach
12-17-2011, 02:55 PM
People say Mavs, Lakers, Thunder, SAS

Mavs lost Chandler, Barea, & Butler. Haywood has injury problems (might be healed tho idk).. VC was a step back imo. Without Chandler they will go back to looking like a soft team but more aged... I cant see them making it past the 2nd Round.

Lakers.. New coach, New system, Bynums injuries, Gasol's personal problems, no upgrade at pg, Kobe in 16th year, their backup big is McRoberts... I dont have much faith in them at this point

Thunder... Grizzlies took them to 7 games without Gay & Grizzlies ran thru SAS last year like it was nothing

& I was referring to Tony Allen when I said the best perimeter defender in the nba

mzgrizz
12-17-2011, 03:00 PM
^^^^^ can't argue with anything you just said
I am enough of a dreamer to think we can start up where we left off, but enough of a pragmatist to not get TOO cocky

Cracka2HI!
12-17-2011, 03:03 PM
I don't anyone is sleeping on the Grizz. I've heard them ranked as high as 2nd in the West. I actually think they overachieved last season and are a bit over rated. That said I think they are very good. I can see them winning a series or 2, but I don't see them in the finals.

IndiansFan337
12-17-2011, 04:40 PM
Are they still discussing a trade that would send Mayo to Indy?

billsftw
12-17-2011, 04:50 PM
Are they still discussing a trade that would send Mayo to Indy?

nah apparantly the grizz are holding on to him

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2011/dec/13/grizzlies-say-they-wont-trade-mayo-xavier-henry-in/

BradfordIsElite
12-17-2011, 04:52 PM
The Grizz look real good heading into this year, with Gay back will have to see how the team adjusts and if they have enough to go all the way.

Byronicle
12-17-2011, 04:53 PM
someone wants attention

maybe because memphis didn't make any crazy trade headlines is the reason why people have not mentioned them

memphis is a good team, except nothing significant has changed so people are unsure on how much this team will move forward

what54!?
12-17-2011, 04:55 PM
they don't have a superstar and play in a small market team. Thats really why they don't have a lot of media coverage.

No one's sleeping on them though. A lot of people have them ranked high

Vinylman
12-17-2011, 04:55 PM
meh...

SA was a classic match up series... If the Grizz had played the lakers/mavs/okc they would have gone out in the first round...

as far as them getting Gay back.... it might help offensively but it will only take minutes away from defenders and that is not a good thing...

I wouldn't be surprised to see the Grizz lose in the first round this year

CousinsEvansDUO
12-17-2011, 05:09 PM
Grizzlies actually have a decent chance of winning it all. I mean for a terrible surprise team like the mavs to win there is no reason to believe that the Grizzlies couldn't. Thunder are the favorites no matter what though followed by the heat.

IversonIsKrazy
12-17-2011, 05:16 PM
I don't think anyone is sleeping. As long as they don't act stupid and trade Mayo for trash they'll be a force in the West!

Blah Blah Blah
12-17-2011, 05:26 PM
Grizzlies actually have a decent chance of winning it all. I mean for a terrible surprise team like the mavs to win there is no reason to believe that the Grizzlies couldn't. Thunder are the favorites no matter what though followed by the heat.

Heat are the favorites followed by the Thunder probably. No reason any team should be favorites over Miami as if now IMO.

But anyways, I am def. not sleeping on the Grizzlies. I think the loss of Battier is overblown since he is no where near the perimeter defender he was before and is a bit overrated right now due to his age and how opposing big name SGs were scoring on him. I think Grizzlies will go far but also they are not going to suprise people anymore so it will be tougher but nonetheless they got great talent on that team and some depth so they can make some noise, but it is the thunder's to lose as if now.

mzgrizz
12-17-2011, 05:50 PM
Heat are the favorites followed by the Thunder probably. No reason any team should be favorites over Miami as if now IMO.

But anyways, I am def. not sleeping on the Grizzlies. I think the loss of Battier is overblown since he is no where near the perimeter defender he was before and is a bit overrated right now due to his age and how opposing big name SGs were scoring on him. I think Grizzlies will go far but also they are not going to suprise people anymore so it will be tougher but nonetheless they got great talent on that team and some depth so they can make some noise, but it is the thunder's to lose as if now.

Which makes this first home game VERRRRRRY interesting !!

lilojmayo
12-21-2011, 01:53 AM

1. How will Rudy Gay mesh back into the system?
2. Does OJ Mayo become a super 6th man

Those two question will ultamitely determined if the Grizzlies are contenders or prentenders tthis year imo

Arch Stanton
12-21-2011, 02:07 AM
I'm sleeping on my bed. Although if I drink too much I may make it to the couch. #lamejoke

PacersForLife
12-21-2011, 02:08 AM
I'm sleeping on my bed. Although if I drink too much I may make it to the couch. #lamejoke

wtf?

Arch Stanton
12-21-2011, 02:10 AM
wtf?

Thread title!

thekmp211
12-21-2011, 02:19 AM
i love the griz. personally not sleeping on them. the arthur injury will hurt them though. they'd be wise to go after kenyon martin if and when he becomes available.

still, a full season of rudy and tony allen starting (and no xavier/acie law) is pretty exciting stuff with marc back in the fold.

lilojmayo
01-01-2012, 08:52 PM
Jeremy Pargo has been a big surprise. Josh Selby hass shown potential. OJ meh he has checked out mentality. Xavier always injured.

But the Grizz need to do a better job giving the ball to Zach and Marc and less of Gay.

Hangtime
01-01-2012, 10:50 PM
Looks like the Grizz are sleeping tonight against the Bulls.

effen5
01-01-2012, 11:34 PM
Jeremy Pargo is HORRIBLE....anybody related to Jannero Pargo is awful.

smiddy012
01-02-2012, 03:12 AM
The Bulls just beat them by 40 and really the game wasn't even that close lol

/end thread

Heatcheck
01-02-2012, 12:23 PM
Terrible timing for this thread

mzgrizz
01-02-2012, 01:19 PM
Nah, it's a rehash that some dude thought was funny. Actually it was.
They looked horrible and played horribly and I'm afraid Hollins hasn't figured out how to mesh Rudy with the winning team from a few short months ago. Having Mike Conley out; losing Darrell Arthur the whole season and now ZBo banged up certainly makes this abbreviated season a challenge. BUT they may yet find a way to put it back together, but time will run out if Hollins can't put this talented group of players into a winning way.

MrfadeawayJB
01-02-2012, 10:34 PM
Thats the worse that i have seen the grizz played in 2 years. If you guys judge them just from the bulls game, you might be in for a rude awakening later in the year. This team can still be very good and make a playoff run