PDA

View Full Version : Amare Stoudemire?

babyang04
12-16-2011, 01:53 PM
Im a huge knicks fan. Big die hard from NY. i just want to know everyone elses opinion on stoudemire. Not just his game. Everyting that you can possibly base him on. I want to hear opinions

Muttman73
12-16-2011, 01:54 PM
fragile

haggis
12-16-2011, 01:55 PM
He smells like applesauce.

jimbobjarree
12-16-2011, 01:55 PM
If he played at both ends he'd probably be a top 10 player

ink
12-16-2011, 01:58 PM

He needs a different coach before we see that happen.

babyang04
12-16-2011, 01:59 PM

so whos your top 10 ? lmao

Hawkeye15
12-16-2011, 02:00 PM
Great physical talent who can score from anywhere, underrated passer, but an underwhelming rebounder and defender.

DoMeFavors
Can only play offense, probably has 2 years left at most.

babyang04
he put on 20lbs of muscle fellas. watch msg, they got a live practice right now.

Cal827
12-16-2011, 02:01 PM
Seems like a pretty good person overall. On the court, Elite on offense, subpar on Defense.. Worried about past knee injuries.

babyang04
12-16-2011, 02:01 PM

i cant take anything you say serious. Your a closet knick fan.

jimbobjarree
12-16-2011, 02:03 PM
so whos your top 10 ? lmao

In some vague-ish order

Lebron
Dwight
KD
Wade
Nowitzki
CP3
Rose
Kobe
Deron
Melo

Amare is left to fight it out for 11/12/13/14 with Pau/Blake/Westbrook

ink
12-16-2011, 02:03 PM
he put on 20lbs of muscle fellas. watch msg, they got a live practice right now.

His problem will still be fundamentals on the block. Watching him get schooled by Tim Duncan for years exposed that. It was the reason for his constant foul trouble.

nystandup
12-16-2011, 02:04 PM
gained 20lbs of muscle and an inch this offseason. looking like a beast in practice

Cal827
12-16-2011, 02:05 PM
My bad.

Evolution23
12-16-2011, 02:06 PM
His problem will still be fundamentals on the block. Watching him get schooled by Tim Duncan for years exposed that. It was the reason for his constant foul trouble.

your talking about hall of famer Tim Duncan?

Nycbball08
12-16-2011, 02:06 PM
Watch what y'all say about stat city...

MTL_123
12-16-2011, 02:08 PM
great player really underated but hate him cuz im a heats fan

babyang04
12-16-2011, 02:08 PM

From what i hear. And from what i read. Amare destroys Duncan. Amares rookie year. He demolished Duncan in that series into which people thought Amare was the next one to dominate the NBA.

Hawkeye15
12-16-2011, 02:09 PM

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/h2h_finder.cgi?request=1&p1=duncati01&p2=stoudam01

This is regular season. Not that bad. And Amare had a couple of his biggest series against the Spurs.

babyang04
great player really underated but hate him cuz im a heats fan

appreciate it bruh

ink

Doesn't matter if he's HOFer or not, there were very high hopes for Amare too when he started. If he's SO far below Duncan, how does he consistently get ranked so high by fans? With Amare's physical gifts he could have been a much better player, but he is with a coach that plays to his strengths (scoring) and does little to develop him at the other end of the court.

VillaMaravilla
12-16-2011, 02:12 PM
i cant take anything you say serious. Your a closet knick fan.

this

babyang04
12-16-2011, 02:12 PM
He defense will improve as he gets older. I trulely belive in that. Plus when Steve Nash come to the Knicks next season its going to be a mockery.

babyang04
12-16-2011, 02:13 PM
D'Antoni on this years upcoming expectations. ''You have to think championship''

Avenged
12-16-2011, 02:14 PM
Top 15 player, was borderline top 10 last season ahead of Melo imo. The guy would be so dominant if he would play consistent D.

knicks=love
12-16-2011, 02:15 PM

:facepalm: he's already had 2 devastating injuries that most players can't come back from, and he's still a top 15 player in the league. 2 years is ridiculous. no one can take you seriously on this site.

Evolution23
http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/h2h_finder.cgi?request=1&p1=duncati01&p2=stoudam01

This is regular season. Not that bad. And Amare had a couple of his biggest series against the Spurs.

Yeah Amare did put up great numbers against the Duncan but still Duncan is the greatest power forward to ever do it.

P Styles
Great physical talent who can score from anywhere, underrated passer, but an underwhelming rebounder and defender.

This sums it up.

Celticsfan2007
12-16-2011, 02:16 PM
He defense will improve as he gets older. I trulely belive in that. Plus when Steve Nash come to the Knicks next season its going to be a mockery.

lolwut?

Heatcheck
12-16-2011, 02:17 PM
those 20 lbs arent going to stop him from getting injured, if anything it adds more weight on his back, ankle, and whatever else he keeps injuring.

Aside from that he's is as explosive an offensive big man as there is in the league. He's indifferent on D, which is disappointing, and cant really rebound for whatever reason.
His problems on defense aren't ability or fundamental problems, its attitude so its not a given he'll improve, nor do i see any reason he will.
Off the court he seems like a good dude, and intelligent to boot (maybe its the glasses).

Evolution23
12-16-2011, 02:18 PM
Doesn't matter if he's HOFer or not, there were very high hopes for Amare too when he started. If he's SO far below Duncan, how does he consistently get ranked so high by fans? With Amare's physical gifts he could have been a much better player, but he is with a coach that plays to his strengths (scoring) and does little to develop him at the other end of the court.

Duncan is the greatest pf of all time. As far as i'm concerned, every one in that's playing the 4 spot is way below Duncan. But don't just take away from the fact that Amare put up beast numbers against Duncan in the playoffs, where winning matters the most.

P Styles
Amare came in the league straight from High School and straight to Dantoni as a coach. Most of his career has been with Mike D.

NOT making an excuse, but you have to look at the big picture as well.

I wonder what a year or two in college, and some tutelage under a defensive coach would have done for him.

babyang04
lolwut?

what's so funny ?

mavwar53
12-16-2011, 02:20 PM

This was so random it made me laugh quite a bit.

$GangGr33n$
12-16-2011, 02:20 PM
In some vague-ish order

Lebron
Dwight
KD
Wade
Nowitzki
CP3
Rose
Kobe
Deron
Melo

Amare is left to fight it out for 11/12/13/14 with Pau/Blake/Westbrook

not saying Nowitzki sholdnt be on the list but poeple are really overating him now that he won the championship last year. His defense is probably worse than amare but he is a better rebounder. and rose is also a really bad defender as are KD and Melo so why does Stat have to improve his D to be top 10 if these others dont. Hes just as good offensively as any of them.

mavwar53
12-16-2011, 02:21 PM
not saying Nowitzki sholdnt be on the list but poeple are really overating him now that he won the championship last year. His defense is probably worse than amare but he is a better rebounder. and rose is also a really bad defender as are KD and Melo so why does Stat have to improve his D to be top 10 if these others dont. Hes just as good offensively as any of them.

You must be insane if you think Dirk is overrated, the guy is practically unguardable.

$GangGr33n$
12-16-2011, 02:22 PM
those 20 lbs arent going to stop him from getting injured, if anything it adds more weight on his back, ankle, and whatever else he keeps injuring.

Aside from that he's is as explosive an offensive big man as there is in the league. He's indifferent on D, which is disappointing, and cant really rebound for whatever reason.
His problems on defense aren't ability or fundamental problems, its attitude so its not a given he'll improve, nor do i see any reason he will.
Off the court he seems like a good dude, and intelligent to boot (maybe its the glasses).

i dont think he injured his ankle before it was his knee, and his rebounding issues are he doesnt box out and is just a lazy rebounder he almost never jumps for the board he just expect it to fall to him

ink
12-16-2011, 02:24 PM
Duncan is the greatest pf of all time. As far as i'm concerned, every one in that's playing the 4 spot is way below Duncan. But don't just take away from the fact that Amare put up beast numbers against Duncan in the playoffs, where winning matters the most.

I watched every game I could when Amare and Nash were together so I know what he produced. He is a dominant player on offence and struggles a bit at the other end of the floor against the best. That's how you measure the best right? Against the best. It's not entirely his fault since he never had a Tyson Chandler-type defensive presence beside him. That should help just as it did with Dirk.

$GangGr33n$
You must be insane if you think Dirk is overrated, the guy is practically unguardable.

maybe not overrated but i hear people talk about him so much now that he won the championship. and yea he is unguardable especially on that turnaround J but his D is bad

tp13baby

hahahah ummm no. Dirk is one of the hardest players to defend in the league. 7 foot. can do it all. I would rather play Stat because i feel Nene could play with him where as Dirk i don't know of many that can guard him.
Melo is a better scorer and clutch player than Stat. KD is not even in his prime yet while Stat is closer to the downhill....and i still think Durrant is better.

ink
12-16-2011, 02:26 PM
Amare came in the league straight from High School and straight to Dantoni as a coach. Most of his career has been with Mike D.

NOT making an excuse, but you have to look at the big picture as well.

I wonder what a year or two in college, and some tutelage under a defensive coach would have done for him.

Very true.

$GangGr33n$
12-16-2011, 02:27 PM
hahahah ummm no. Dirk is one of the hardest players to defend in the league. 7 foot. can do it all. I would rather play Stat because i feel Nene could play with him where as Dirk i don't know of many that can guard him.
Melo is a better scorer and clutch player than Stat. KD is not even in his prime yet while Stat is closer to the downhill....and i still think Durrant is better.

Durant is definitely better 100x better probably top 3 in the league but i was just pointing out that he said Stat wasnt top 10 cuz of his D but all those players i named are bad on D as well

Evolution23
I watched every game I could when Amare and Nash were together so I know what he produced. He is a dominant player on offence and struggles a bit at the other end of the floor against the best. That's how you measure the best right? Against the best. It's not entirely his fault since he never had a Tyson Chandler-type defensive presence beside him. That should help just as it did with Dirk.

yeah can't argue that.

John Walls Era
Needs to rebound. I've always said that he shouldn't be a bad defender or rebounder. Never had a season where he avg'd at least 10 rebounds.

Jint.
12-16-2011, 02:29 PM

is this true..?

Slimsim
12-16-2011, 02:29 PM
I don't think Amare get enough credit from coming back from a career ending injury.

nycsports2
12-16-2011, 02:31 PM
tried to smash my girlfriend... but hes still my favorite player lmao heart and soul of ny knicks and 2nd best pf in the game imo

Heatcheck
12-16-2011, 02:31 PM
i dont think he injured his ankle before it was his knee, and his rebounding issues are he doesnt box out and is just a lazy rebounder he almost never jumps for the board he just expect it to fall to him

but being lazy and not doing it, is the same as not being able to do it.

but your right, its hard to imagine it not being an mindset thing with all that athletic ability.

DoMeFavors
12-16-2011, 02:33 PM
I don't think Amare get enough credit from coming back from a career ending injury.

Doesnt deserve it, he hasnt won anything and doesnt play defense.

jimbobjarree
12-16-2011, 02:33 PM
Durant is definitely better 100x better probably top 3 in the league but i was just pointing out that he said Stat wasnt top 10 cuz of his D but all those players i named are bad on D as well

Yeah bad at D, Amare's is pretty much non existant mate. Add that with his poor efforts on the glass, and he'd struggle to make the top 10 on anyones list.

babyang04
12-16-2011, 02:39 PM

He got through 2 career ending injuries.

Punk
12-16-2011, 02:43 PM
So, Brandon Roy couldn't come back from an injury at 27. He never won a championship. Doesn't deserve credit for the career he put together either in that logic.

ink
12-16-2011, 02:46 PM
This thread is re-opened. There is way too much baiting and insulting going on in these forums and it needs to stop. Read the rules: no baiting, insulting, trolling, name calling allowed. If a poster has posted something you regard as breaking the rules, then send us an RP. Please do not ruin good threads with petty fights.

Hawkeye15
12-16-2011, 02:54 PM
Yeah Amare did put up great numbers against the Duncan but still Duncan is the greatest power forward to ever do it.

Those are regular season only.

04-05' vs San Antonio: 37 ppg, 9.8 rpg, 55% FG, 10+ fta/gm, 1.6 bpg, 1 spg

06-07' vs San Antonio: 26.4 ppg, 10.6 rpg, 50% fg, 2 bpg, 1 spg

07-08' vs San Antonio: 23.2 ppg, 9 rpg, 49% fg, 2.4 bpg, 1.4 spg

09-10' vs San Antonio: 25 ppg, 6 rpg, 53% fg, 1.5 bpg, 1.2 spg

He has done just fine against Timmy

ink
12-16-2011, 02:58 PM
Those are regular season only.

04-05' vs San Antonio: 37 ppg, 9.8 rpg, 55% FG, 10+ fta/gm, 1.6 bpg, 1 spg

06-07' vs San Antonio: 26.4 ppg, 10.6 rpg, 50% fg, 2 bpg, 1 spg

07-08' vs San Antonio: 23.2 ppg, 9 rpg, 49% fg, 2.4 bpg, 1.4 spg

09-10' vs San Antonio: 25 ppg, 6 rpg, 53% fg, 1.5 bpg, 1.2 spg

He has done just fine against Timmy

Fact is the matchup against TD was to his advantage on offence but not so much on D, where Duncan put him into constant foul trouble early in games. Strategically that was very difficult for the team, and contributed to the need for a lot of comebacks. Watching Suns-Spurs was like watching breakneck speed chess. It was a Catch 22 because the Suns under D'Antoni wanted to play run and gun and wanted a mobile, athletic big man. We'll see if/how things change when D'Antoni has a defensive presence like Chandler to offset Amare's weaknesses.

Chill_Will_24
12-16-2011, 03:06 PM
Great player. Better than Melo imo. If he fought for rebounds and defended better he would be a top 7 player

nystandup
12-16-2011, 03:09 PM
keep in mind Amare is no longer playing against centers and should be dominant against other pf's

DoMeFavors
12-16-2011, 03:15 PM
keep in mind Amare is no longer playing against centers and should be dominant against other pf's

He was already guarded by Pfs last year

ChicagoRox
12-16-2011, 03:15 PM
I think Amare needs to get the hell away from Mike D. I mean look how tall and atheltic he is. He is great on the offensive side and if Mike D can get out of Amare's life. His defense should become average.

Hawkeye15
12-16-2011, 03:16 PM
Fact is the matchup against TD was to his advantage on offence but not so much on D, where Duncan put him into constant foul trouble early in games. Strategically that was very difficult for the team, and contributed to the need for a lot of comebacks. Watching Suns-Spurs was like watching breakneck speed chess. It was a Catch 22 because the Suns under D'Antoni wanted to play run and gun and wanted a mobile, athletic big man. We'll see if/how things change when D'Antoni has a defensive presence like Chandler to offset Amare's weaknesses.

nah, I was simply pointing out that their matchups tended to be very even most the time.

Beyond Amare, you can't expect any Mike D team to match up well with a Popovich team unless they just try and run up the score.

I am interested to see what Amare looks like with Chandler behind him. This is the first time Amare won't have a good distributing guard on his team, and playing full time next to Melo may take away a few attempts, but we will see what Mike D comes up with plan wise.

GeekInThePink
12-16-2011, 03:20 PM

+1

He's a premiere big man, but defensively he's meh.

keymax
12-16-2011, 03:22 PM
gained 20lbs of muscle and an inch this offseason. looking like a beast in practice

20 lbs and an inch? So he is basically admitting he took steroids/HGH? ;)

Punk
12-16-2011, 03:26 PM
He was already guarded by Pfs last year

Goes to how much you know. He played against more centers than Power Forwards last year.

The majority of his PHX days was at center. His stats are extremely different when he played next to Shaq and Lopez who are real centers.

beasted86
12-16-2011, 03:30 PM

This poster is :drunk:, :crazy:, or :smoking:

knicks=love
12-16-2011, 03:30 PM
20 lbs and an inch? So he is basically admitting he took steroids/HGH? ;)

Ever hear of working out and lifting weights? Not everyone takes steroids and HGH.

DoMeFavors
12-16-2011, 03:37 PM
Goes to how much you know. He played against more centers than Power Forwards last year.

The majority of his PHX days was at center. His stats are extremely different when he played next to Shaq and Lopez who are real centers.

What centers guarded Amare? KG guarded Amare, Humphries guarded Amare, Gasol guarded Amare, Bosh guarded Amare.

Birdmannn
12-16-2011, 03:38 PM
Love his game. Can do so much on the offensive end and very exciting to watch. I agree his d and rebounding are below what they could be but that could come from coaches and players surronding him.
Stat is going to look good with Carmelo and Tyson in the front court with him.
I find his game is similar to Bosh's. Stats just faster.

beasted86
12-16-2011, 03:50 PM
What centers guarded Amare? KG guarded Amare, Humphries guarded Amare, Gasol guarded Amare, Bosh guarded Amare.

Actually "The Warden" guarded Amare. :cool:

Punk
12-16-2011, 03:54 PM
Joel Anthony guarded him, Chuck Hayes, Hibbert, Jefferson, Camby, Nene, etc.

This poster is :drunk:, :crazy:, or :smoking:

He didn't exactly grow but he did some sort of back workout that helps posture and he now measures at 6'11.

oak2455
12-16-2011, 03:56 PM
Always when there is a knick thread ...there's that one troll....ignore him trust me he will just talk to himself :)

Raph12
12-16-2011, 03:56 PM
His defense and rebounding leave a lot to be desired for a guy with his physical talents.

Chacarron
12-16-2011, 03:57 PM
He is the second best player in his team.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
12-16-2011, 04:00 PM
From what i hear. And from what i read. Amare destroys Duncan. Amares rookie year. He demolished Duncan in that series into which people thought Amare was the next one to dominate the NBA.

read???

hey kid, please watch the games not read about them...TD is the best PF ever, Amare could crack the top10 maybe.

Broadwayjoe NY
12-16-2011, 04:00 PM

I find it so difficult to grasp why yourself and other posters find it so trying to admire other players whom are not on your team. You can still maintain your general distaste for your hated teams, but to constantly diminish players for the jersey they wear is so childish...especially when you would be touting that exact same player if he had on your team's colors.

That having been said, I agree with the general consensus that he's an all-world offensive talent, while being a very underwhelming rebounder and defender. Although one thing that is being missed here is that STAT is a fantastic help defender, something that I think will be further shown playing next to a solid defensive center. He isn't the based post-defender and that to me is mostly due to lack of coaching and determination. For his size and other-wordly athleticism he should be putting up 10+ rebounds per game and that is all about technique and his lack of boxing out, if he put in the effort he would easily put those numbers up. He clearly has the ability as you have seen in his battles against TD and the like, it really comes down to scheme, lack of technique and lack of caring.

bigsams50
12-16-2011, 04:02 PM

This. If he showed the same effort on D that he shows on offense, he would be hands down the best pf in the game

ktchrist9963
12-16-2011, 04:20 PM
Amare is top 10 in talent . . . along with the likes of Isiah Rider.

Duncan in his prime would destroy Amare in his prime on both ends of the floor. Amare may look more impressive at times, but I would take Garnett, Duncan, Nowitzki right now over Amare.

Amare + Melo = no championships . . . ever.

Just like Dwight Howard is getting hard to take seriously when he doesn't put himself in the best chance to win now. Boston's big 3 had a goal, to win. These other guys think if you have the 2 or 3, you will win. Put the work in.

ktchrist9963
12-16-2011, 04:20 PM

Duncan in his prime would destroy Amare in his prime on both ends of the floor. Amare may look more impressive at times, but I would take Garnett, Duncan, Nowitzki right now over Amare.

Just like Dwight Howard is getting hard to take seriously when he doesn't put himself in the best chance to win now. Boston's big 3 had a goal, to win. These other guys think if you have the 2 or 3, you will win. Put the work in.

KnickaBocka.44
12-16-2011, 04:24 PM

Really? Are you really going to tell me you would rather have KG or TD over Amare at this point in their careers?! :facepalm:

Punk
12-16-2011, 04:26 PM

LOL

Right, a prime Duncan could "destroy" Amare. Because both weren't in their prime in 2006.

Oh really? And why is that? Both are working hard to get on the same page defensively. Carmelo showed he can play on the highest level by scoring 42, grabbing 17 rebounds, etc.

Amare made it to the Western conference finals. Twice on his own with Nash. Carmelo made it once. So, apparently they are championship quality players unlike your opinion.

And what the hell makes you think none of them are putting the work in? If are going to make some sort of point do not be bias about it. At all.

See how nobody takes certain fans seriously, folks?

Hawkeye15
12-16-2011, 04:29 PM

haha, how can you possibly say this without knowing what the Knicks do in the future?

Punk
12-16-2011, 04:40 PM
Funny thing is anyone could easily say D-Rose = no championships ever. 1 bad leap due to his explosiveness could end that team but again, I'm no moron to make statements due to being bias.

All of a sudden, If you are a scorer. You can't win. While guys like Dirk get a pass but Amare can't? While Dirk was considered soft, never would win a title but the Mavs consistently worked at putting defensive players and building depth around him and it pays off. It took him years to go to the Finals then it took another 6 to win it.

There is no way in hell you can say "no championships" when not only both guys made the Finals but Dallas totally trumped the "you cant win a title" nonsense. Adding in defensive players around Dirk and Terry who aren't good defenders either.

danniboi168
12-16-2011, 04:42 PM

lol, why so much hate man?

Rndy
12-16-2011, 04:54 PM
Amare is a great player and I really hope his knees hold up. Someone with knees like that should be a huge concern for Knicks fans. Hopefully he gets lucky and nothing bad happens. The faster the Knicks get rid of D antoni the faster they can start to be a serious threat.

LOOTERX9
12-16-2011, 05:04 PM
Amare is just Horrid on defense. He doesn't even try half the time on Def. And that is unforgivable. But I blame his coach Mike dantoni for allowing Amare to just let garbage centers and fowards get easy layups

PurpleJesus
12-16-2011, 05:06 PM
Im a huge Woves fan. Big die hard from MN. i just want to know everyone elses opinion on Anthony Tolliver. Not just his game. Everyting that you can possibly base him on. I want to hear opinions

maybe i should make a thread about this?

John Walls Era
12-16-2011, 05:06 PM

Like last year?

netsgiantsyanks
12-16-2011, 05:09 PM
he sucks. :D

NYYCowboys
12-16-2011, 05:09 PM

It's gonna be so funny when the Nets win 7 games this year and Deron signs with Dallas, and you open your new arena with Brook Lopez as your marquee player. :laugh:

waveycrockett
12-16-2011, 05:28 PM
Soft but he can score

Evolution23
12-16-2011, 05:31 PM
Im a huge Woves fan. Big die hard from MN. i just want to know everyone elses opinion on Anthony Tolliver. Not just his game. Everyting that you can possibly base him on. I want to hear opinions

Maybe make one about Kevin Love or Rubio.

Mr Costanza
12-16-2011, 07:05 PM

Trueblue2
12-16-2011, 07:06 PM

How does an adult grow an inch in the offseason? Hgh?

Tony_Starks
12-16-2011, 07:24 PM
Super athletic great scorer who could be elite if he cared about rebounding or defense.....

Punk
12-16-2011, 07:32 PM
So, let me get this straight: Dirk is elite but Amare is not when both average the same amount of rebounds through out their career and played the same defense.

I think I am done with this thread and the hypocrisy of fans now.

How does an adult grow an inch in the offseason? Hgh?

He worked on his posture by building muscle in his back, so it makes you stretch out. If you slump over, it lessens your height. If you are standing straight with perfect posture, it makes you taller. So, he is 6'11 which he always was but his back posture was not proper.

Tony_Starks
12-16-2011, 07:43 PM
So, let me get this straight: Dirk is elite but Amare is not when both average the same amount of rebounds through out their career and played the same defense.

I think I am done with this thread and the hypocrisy of fans now.

He worked on his posture by building muscle in his back, so it makes you stretch out. If you slump over, it lessens your height. If you are standing straight with perfect posture, it makes you taller. So, he is 6'11 which he always was but his back posture was not proper.

Dirk and Amare is a horrible comparison. Dirk is a euro who is expected to be soft defensively. He's nowhere close to Amare's athleticism. Add to that Dirk is on the perimeter waaaay more than Amare so really they have no business having similar rebounding avg's since STAT plays in the paint more. With Amare's strength, quickness, and hops he should be a Dwight Howard defensively but thats not his thing.....

Kashmir13579
12-16-2011, 08:07 PM
He needs a different coach before we see that happen.
He already has Mike Woodson.

Punk
12-16-2011, 08:15 PM
Dirk and Amare is a horrible comparison. Dirk is a euro who is expected to be soft defensively.

Stop. Nobody expects a Euro to be soft. There is plenty of Euros who choose not to come over in this league and are better than some of the centers and forwards in the league.

He's nowhere close to Amare's athleticism. Add to that Dirk is on the perimeter waaaay more than Amare so really they have no business having similar rebounding avg's since STAT plays in the paint more.

You really need to watch both of them more because you are clearly misinformed. Both play on the perimeter. When Amare played center he averaged 9 rebounds per game. As a PF he dropped to 8 rebounds.

With Amare's strength, quickness, and hops he should be a Dwight Howard defensively but thats not his thing.....
He's no where near the strength and size of Dwight.

You still have not made a good enough argument on why you can honestly call Dirk "elite" but Amare isn't because of the same short comings of Dirk? Which is why Dallas has like 3 Centers to hide his lack of rebounding and defense giving him help in the paint.

ciaban
12-16-2011, 08:25 PM
with his size and athleticism, he could be one of the best defenders/rebounders in the nba instead he focuses his energy on being great at cool dunks and trash talking, because in the playoffs that's what really matters

Knick_Fever
12-16-2011, 08:51 PM

Just for the record, it is physically impossible to gain 20 lbs of muscle in that time frame.

xbrackattackx
12-16-2011, 08:54 PM
Troll thread for sure. asked for opinions then bashed everyones.

DragonJaii
12-17-2011, 12:00 AM
i want to see if his newly gained 20 lbs of muscle will slow him down a bit.

Ty Fast
12-17-2011, 12:07 AM
he's a beast.

Chronz
12-17-2011, 12:29 AM
Amare: Overrated by Knickerbocker fans and the media, overrated by everyone else. Not sure where that leaves him

Mr_Amaziing
12-17-2011, 12:32 AM
He's a beast
But injuries pushed him back

NYKnicks4511
12-17-2011, 12:36 AM
The guy has been guarding centers because Mike D is an idiot. He needs to apply himself more on defense, but he's still the 2nd best PF in the league -- this year he'll take that #1 spot away from Dirk ;)

Bang Bros89
12-17-2011, 12:40 AM
Amare: Overrated by Knickerbocker fans and the media, overrated by everyone else. Not sure where that leaves him

Did you mean to say underrated by everyone else, or is he flat out overrated?

Kyben36
12-17-2011, 12:43 AM
he is very rude, one time, I saw him, tried to get an autograph. He Kicked me in the face, spit on me, Mounted me like a horse and punched me in the back of the head 37 times before it went black. My friend said after that, I rubed his *** on the paper I wanted him to sign, and shoved it in my mouth.

I hate amare.

Kyben36
12-17-2011, 12:46 AM
In my actual opinion. He is over rated highly. he is a jump shooter, but gets a few highlight dunks which makes him look more dynamic offensivly. a lot of his points however come on mid range jumpers. Not saying that is bad or anything, but he isnt the players you see in highlights. HE also isnt as Beast as you see him be sometimes. A few of the times you watch him he looks just beast, and others, he just looks lost. Defensivly, he also isnt very good.

Tanakid777
12-17-2011, 12:48 AM

Dirk's D is no worse than Amare. His one on one D is rather decent. It's his help side defense that gets him his bad rap (if you watch the games). Unfortunately, most ***** are ESPN drones and assume he's some scrub on D altogether. Simply untrue. Check where he ranks in defensive win shares since 2005. He hasn't been "bad" since Nash was his running mate

DragonJaii
12-17-2011, 12:48 AM
he is very rude, one time, I saw him, tried to get an autograph. He Kicked me in the face, spit on me, Mounted me like a horse and punched me in the back of the head 37 times before it went black. My friend said after that, I rubed his *** on the paper I wanted him to sign, and shoved it in my mouth.

I hate amare.

Lmao

DragonJaii
12-17-2011, 12:51 AM
His d is terrible, opposing teams just walk right by him for an easy layup, once in a while he gets a nice block.

sb123
12-17-2011, 12:52 AM

Comparing that turd to an All Star?

Punk
12-17-2011, 12:58 AM
His d is terrible, opposing teams just walk right by him for an easy layup, once in a while he gets a nice block.

Oh you watched him last season to make that judgment or are you simply throwing out nonsensical statements? Be honest.

BK-TY
12-17-2011, 12:58 AM
He's the 3rd best PF in the league (Nowitzki, Griffin). Now that he won't have to defend centers that should take some wear and tear off him. His rebounding confuses me and his defense upsets me. Hope Woodson can bring the beast out of him this season.

DragonJaii
12-17-2011, 12:59 AM
Oh you watched him last season to make that judgment or are you simply throwing out nonsensical statements? Be honest.

watched the knicks a lot last season cause they are fun to watch, but yes his d is terrible, you should know that.

latinofire21
12-17-2011, 01:01 AM
Heres my honest opinion on Amare Stoudemire -

He is the second best Power Foward currently in the league. The only one better then him right now is Dirk Nowitzki.

Amare has equally as much firepower as Dirk. He is better then every other current power forward in the league and its isnt even close.

His defense needs work but he is an undervalued defender. Last year he played out of position because they had no true center. This year hes going to look a lot better because he can play off the ball and come up with a lot more blocks in the paint since Chandler is there.

Amares scoring ability, leadership, and hardwork are in the top 5 players in the league. He is constantly compared to Kobe with his off season work ethic. Amare has to work on his defense but it isnt that far off like many seem to believe.

His injuries is his biggest down side. Between his eye, his knees, and now his back many New Yorkers are nervous that he wont last his full contract.

This year Chandler is going to bring the best out of both Amare and Melo. I am looking forward to Amare having an MVP season.

I think the biggest thing with Amare is staying healthy. If he can do that hes going to be a force thats simply unstoppable.

Mudvayne91
12-17-2011, 01:02 AM
I liked his part in Yo Gabba Gabba

pauljames
12-17-2011, 01:06 AM

Lol 20lbs of muscle?? I'm a Knicks fan and a stoudemire fan but that is ridiculous.

mdm692
12-17-2011, 01:07 AM
Improves his offense year in year out one of thebelite offensive weapons but his constant injuries, inability to defend opposing pfs and some bs calls by refs probably cost us some titles

Punk
12-17-2011, 01:08 AM
watched the knicks a lot last season cause they are fun to watch, but yes his d is terrible, you should know that.

He played great on defense during the first half of the season but he wore out towards the all-star break and then it got bad.

But it's more his awareness than just letting guys drive past him.

GhostfaceDrilla
12-17-2011, 01:41 AM
Funny thing is anyone could easily say D-Rose = no championships ever. 1 bad leap due to his explosiveness could end that team but again, I'm no moron to make statements due to being bias.

All of a sudden, If you are a scorer. You can't win. While guys like Dirk get a pass but Amare can't? While Dirk was considered soft, never would win a title but the Mavs consistently worked at putting defensive players and building depth around him and it pays off. It took him years to go to the Finals then it took another 6 to win it.

There is no way in hell you can say "no championships" when not only both guys made the Finals but Dallas totally trumped the "you cant win a title" nonsense. Adding in defensive players around Dirk and Terry who aren't good defenders either.

Except Amare isn't and never will be even close to Dirk's talent all time. Dirk is a top 20 player in NBA history. A legend. Amare won't be a hall of famer.

ohreally
12-17-2011, 02:19 AM
Why do fans, of any team, start threads in the NBA forum, insist on getting their own opinions from fans of other teams, and take any differing opinions as a sign of hate for their team? Beats me.

I'm a Knicks fan by breeding and habit, though I have to admit that I really don't like how we went about getting our current team. And though we are now possibly a good team, I'm having a hard time feeling connected to this team.

Amare can be one of the most dynamic offensive players in the league, but I do agree that he can get lost too easily even on the offensive end. On defense I think he is at least as bad as the worst starting pf in the league.

What I love is that before the summer-of-LeBron the number of Knick fans that wanted Amare at a max or close to max deal could be counted on one hand. Then after we signed him, he was the greatest thing since sliced bread. Bosh was the overwhelming choice, but once we had Amare, Bosh was held to be a wimp and a joke.

When we had Lee, everything was about how we needed guys who played both ends of the court. But Lee at least pushes his guy off his favorite position, is better at ball denial, better at positioning, hustles way more to cover smalls on the perimeter who get free, and is a much better rebounder. Amare gets some weak side blocks.

I will watch the Knicks, and I will try to connect with them. If they play well, I guess I could quickly jump on board, in a way.

I like the signing of Chandler, and I'm happier with that than I would have been with another year of another star watch droolfest. But I'm not quite convinced that we are quite the team we think we are. Chandler has really been a difference maker one time, in his contract year, on a very good and already deep team. His offense is poor, so we are still basically a two man offense. And with Chandler here, I can see Melo and Amare, neither of whom really wants to play defense, being more apathetic on that end.

If TD is really our starting pg, that's downright scary, and since he's a streak shooting chucker at heart, things could get ugly fast between him and the anointed duo.

Shumpert better be awfully good.

nyballa1991
12-17-2011, 02:53 AM
I like him for bringing ny back but the dude should play d better and rebound much better

GhostfaceDrilla
12-17-2011, 03:05 AM
Why do fans, of any team, start threads in the NBA forum, insist on getting their own opinions from fans of other teams, and take any differing opinions as a sign of hate for their team? Beats me.

I'm a Knicks fan by breeding and habit, though I have to admit that I really don't like how we went about getting our current team. And though we are now possibly a good team, I'm having a hard time feeling connected to this team.

Amare can be one of the most dynamic offensive players in the league, but I do agree that he can get lost too easily even on the offensive end. On defense I think he is at least as bad as the worst starting pf in the league.

What I love is that before the summer-of-LeBron the number of Knick fans that wanted Amare at a max or close to max deal could be counted on one hand. Then after we signed him, he was the greatest thing since sliced bread. Bosh was the overwhelming choice, but once we had Amare, Bosh was held to be a wimp and a joke.

When we had Lee, everything was about how we needed guys who played both ends of the court. But Lee at least pushes his guy off his favorite position, is better at ball denial, better at positioning, hustles way more to cover smalls on the perimeter who get free, and is a much better rebounder. Amare gets some weak side blocks.

I will watch the Knicks, and I will try to connect with them. If they play well, I guess I could quickly jump on board, in a way.

I like the signing of Chandler, and I'm happier with that than I would have been with another year of another star watch droolfest. But I'm not quite convinced that we are quite the team we think we are. Chandler has really been a difference maker one time, in his contract year, on a very good and already deep team. His offense is poor, so we are still basically a two man offense. And with Chandler here, I can see Melo and Amare, neither of whom really wants to play defense, being more apathetic on that end.

If TD is really our starting pg, that's downright scary, and since he's a streak shooting chucker at heart, things could get ugly fast between him and the anointed duo.

Shumpert better be awfully good.

I love Chandler and he was the difference maker for our chip. That said, he is the type of center that needs a good point guard to be effective offensively. Paul to Chandler was amazing and Kidd was such a great PG for Chandler to operate under. Notice how in Charlotte, with no PG, Chandler was god awful. Chandler played with the best offensive player in the game (Dirk) and had a number of players who were able to feed him the ball down low. Chandler is a top 5 center still imo and his defense will help New York. Just don't ex[ect him to be the player he was with Dallas last year. That Chandler was a whole different player than I think he will ever be.

I see him averaging about 7 and 9 with good defense.

naps
12-17-2011, 03:19 AM
very good offensive player but equally bad at rebounding and worst at defense.

shep33
12-17-2011, 03:27 AM
Great offensive player, love Amare's game. He put the Knicks back on the map.

Defense and rebounding is inexcusable.. he's a freak