PDA

View Full Version : Did the Clippers give up too much for Chris Paul?

Better-Than-You
12-16-2011, 05:42 AM
Chris Paul is probably the best pg in the league and at worst the 2nd best however did the Clippers need to give up 4 of their 5 assets to acquire him?
I think they could have salvaged one of their assets whether its EG or Twolves unprotected pick. The only other team bidding for him were the Lakers and I can't imagine a scenario that would trade Gasol for CP3 through a 3 team trade. What do you think?

Wade>You
12-16-2011, 06:00 AM
You could say that the league already gave them Blake Griffin and Chauncey Billups. ;)

DeShaun Brown
12-16-2011, 06:15 AM
Yes. They definitely gave up way too much. E. G. is one of the most underrated players in the league. He should've made the all-star team last year. When it's all said and done, he may end up being the best player in this deal. To give him up and the TWolves pick makes this a lopsided deal imo.

spreadeagle
12-16-2011, 06:15 AM
No way..they have been in lottery hell forever i doubt one ore pick would have made a difference an eric gordon is good but its chris paul! the best pg and they got him,and Billups can play the 2 and replace EG..no brainer.Your talking about a team that has been a JOKE for 30 yrs and now they are the talk of the nba..BIG

Wade>You
12-16-2011, 06:18 AM
PG-Chris Paul
SG-Chauncey Billups (so I've heard)
SF-Caron Butler
PF-Blake Griffin
C-DeAndre Jordan

If you're the Clippers, you take that.

abe_froman
12-16-2011, 06:25 AM
yes.especially considering they already had billups,who's still a good pg and didnt need to upgrade that spot...but it created the desired buzz so i guess it was worth it

Better-Than-You
12-16-2011, 06:31 AM
Yes. They definitely gave up way too much. E. G. is one of the most underrated players in the league. He should've made the all-star team last year. When it's all said and done, he may end up being the best player in this deal. To give him up and the TWolves pick makes this a lopsided deal imo.

I wouldn't say EG is better than CP3 however EG + that pick are.

Better-Than-You
12-16-2011, 06:32 AM
Not to mention what they could get with Kamen's expiring. Look at what the Lakers did with Kwame. They probably won't get a player like Pau but probably an immediate contributor. Aminu = I have no idea.

rabzouz 96
12-16-2011, 06:35 AM
yeah overpaid for a player who wanted out of there anyways

Better-Than-You
12-16-2011, 06:40 AM
The Clippers were bad for so many years, they couldn't wait 1 more season??? That pick would probably get them an immediate contributor and make them a contender for years to come. Whereas they only get CP3 for 2 years and hope they resign him...

bholly
12-16-2011, 06:42 AM
PG-Chris Paul
SG-Chauncey Billups (so I've heard)
SF-Caron Butler
PF-Blake Griffin
C-DeAndre Jordan

If you're the Clippers, you take that.

Sure it looks exciting, but if I'm the Clippers I prefer:
Chauncey
Gordon
Butler
Blake
DeAndre

with a potentially huge pick and Aminu, Kaman, Bledsoe, Mo, etc off the bench.

I totally understand the rationale of the trade, and hope it works out, I just don't think I would've done it.

Better-Than-You
12-16-2011, 06:46 AM
People don't realize how good Billups is even at his age and look at their depth...

Wade>You
12-16-2011, 06:48 AM
Chauncey
Gordon
Butler
Blake
DeAndre

I totally understand the rationale of the trade, and hope it works out, I just don't think I would've done it.Nah, Gordon/pick isn't CP3. Superstar power helps.

Better-Than-You
12-16-2011, 06:50 AM
Really? The Mavs won with 1 star and the Heat lost with 3.

DenButsu
12-16-2011, 07:00 AM
No way. It's the Clippers. When would they next have a chance to land a player of CP's caliber to play alongside Blake (and, perhaps, prevent him from abandoning ship in the future)? Not likely soon, that's for sure.

The missing pieces can be filled in. Lots of free agents will want to play with those dudes. But if you have a chance to compliment Griffin with a superstar, there's no way in hell you pass that up, especially if you're a low-profile, low-popularity team. I'd imagine every single GM in that position would have done the same thing.

Mishmin
12-16-2011, 07:10 AM
No way. It's the Clippers. When would they next have a chance to land a player of CP's caliber to play alongside Blake (and, perhaps, prevent him from abandoning ship in the future)? Not likely soon, that's for sure.

The missing pieces can be filled in. Lots of free agents will want to play with those dudes. But if you have a chance to compliment Griffin with a superstar, there's no way in hell you pass that up, especially if you're a low-profile, low-popularity team. I'd imagine every single GM in that position would have done the same thing.

Agree, Easy answer. They did not give up too much.

Sure Billups would have been a good point guard with EG. But remember who Chris Paul is. When all is said and done, arguably a top point guard of all time. You do what it takes to get that deal done, and Clips were able to hold onto Jordan as well their other draft pick in this upcoming draft. And like Den said, this eliminates any chance of Blake thinking about a future somewhere else.

People said the same thing about Melo to the knicks, but having a couple superstars on a team changes the whole environment, as well as starts drawing in other free agents. Clippers played this trade situation perfectly.

LakersIn5
12-16-2011, 07:35 AM
right now no, but once cp3 leaves as FA then yes

niketas
12-16-2011, 07:59 AM
"The Clippers sold out their season tickets for the first time." so yes :)

Jarvo
12-16-2011, 08:22 AM
Yes, I know CP3 & Blake is a nice combo but do you really think they can win a finals? Or if he is gonna stay after 2years? If he doesn't then what? But I understand why they did it.

Jarvo
12-16-2011, 08:25 AM
Really? The Mavs won with 1 star and the Heat lost with 3.

The clippers aren't the mavs though.

thekmp211
12-16-2011, 09:02 AM
i don't think so. gordon is a great young piece but as of now, the only thing of value they gave up. the pick -could- end up being very high, but even then there are no guarantees that the talent you choose will pan out.

paul, on the other hand, has proven to be worth an 8th seed in the playoffs pretty much by himself. he's the best player in franchise history. i think it was a strong, smart move by la.

Chi StateOfMind
12-16-2011, 09:08 AM
You have to give to get and we will find out if it was or wasn't. If CP3 leaves then yes if he stays and builds a winner, no. Eric Gordon is good but he's not CP3. The draft pick is always a ? so who knows. They obviously didn't want to wait another season so they went out and got one of, if not the best pure PG.

sixer04fan
12-16-2011, 09:17 AM

You're way off base here. I'll start off by saying that I love Eric Gordon. He's a great young talent that may make some all star teams over the years, but Chris Paul is a once-in-a-decade type point guard, a consistent MVP caliber player, and already arguably one of the best point guards of all time.

The other pieces in the deal are essentially meaningless in comparison. You may like Kaman, but he was not a cornerstone to the trade by any stretch. You may like Aminu, but the bottom line is right now he's still a very unpolished bench player.

This comes down to a good up-and-coming scorer and a draft pick for one of the best PG's ever. Chris Paul makes his teammates a hell of a lot better too, more so than Gordon. And yes, the draft pick should be a good position in the upcoming "loaded" draft, but that's far from a guarantee. If you're the Clippers, you take the deal.

Bottom line - it seems to be a great trade for both teams. If Chris Paul's knees give out in a few years, then maybe not.

thekmp211
12-16-2011, 09:26 AM
i've said it once and i'll say it again -- this years draft is getting overhyped. drummond imo is the only player with top pick potential.

yes, anthony davis is oozing with talent and plays great d, but the kid is skinny as a rail and beyond limited on offense.

perry jones is the only other guy with 'zomgz' talent. i think the draft will be very, very DEEP -- but not as top-heavy as some make it out to be.

how this all turns out will play a huge part in the long-term opinions on the trade.

69centers
12-16-2011, 09:26 AM
Yes, I know CP3 & Blake is a nice combo but do you really think they can win a finals? Or if he is gonna stay after 2years? If he doesn't then what? But I understand why they did it.

They have no bench. It will take a few years and a few more players for a Griffin/Paul led team to win it all. Paul would have a quicker chance at a ring elsewhere. Clips were dumb giving up Gordon. If they could have gotten Paul for Bledsoe instead, it would have been a better deal. Once Paul learns he won't get a ring quickly there, he may move on.

IndyRealist
12-16-2011, 09:59 AM

Chris Paul may end up being one of the best PG's of all time. Gordon doesn't come close to that.

I think it was a good trade. They managed to hold onto two of their three best players (Jordan, Griffin) and acquire a top 5 player. With Griffin still on a rookie deal they have the cap room next year to sign a big name player or two, and SG's and SF's are going to flock to that team to play with that trio. The team's going to be stacked. It really could only have been better if they got rid of Mo Williams in the deal to open up more cap room.

Hawkeye15
12-16-2011, 10:11 AM
Yes, they did. I think Kaman, Minny's pick, Aminu, and Blesdoe would have been much more fair. Sending both Minny's pick and Gordon was too much for Paul. Even though he is unquestionably the best PG in the NBA, he doesn't have more than a couple or three years of elite play on that knee, and Gordon will be smack dab in the middle of his prime, as will Blake. Not to mention in this next draft, even if Minny is much improved and its only a top 10 pick, there is a lot of depth, star wise, in this draft.

Better-Than-You
12-16-2011, 10:14 AM
Exactly, some of the post here don't understand my point. The Clippers could have gotten him for a lot less. I never said that they shouldn't get him.

Phaneuf3
12-16-2011, 10:21 AM
At first glace it would seem like the clippers gave up too much but after thinking about it the trade seems to be a pretty fair deal, still leaning in the favor of NOH. There are rumors going around the eric gordon didnt want to re-sign with the clippers next off-season, as well, kaman is a FA after this season and they have DeAndre Jordan at center anyways. IMO the biggest piece they gave away is not gordon but it is the t-wolves draft pick, will probs be a lottery pick in a great draft. Obviously the clippers got one of the best players in the league, and cp3 will probably make blake even better then he already is.
We wont know who wins this trade for years, but imo i think this trade will allow the clippers to make the playoffs consistently for many years to come

thekmp211
12-16-2011, 10:38 AM
Yes, they did. I think Kaman, Minny's pick, Aminu, and Blesdoe would have been much more fair. Sending both Minny's pick and Gordon was too much for Paul. Even though he is unquestionably the best PG in the NBA, he doesn't have more than a couple or three years of elite play on that knee, and Gordon will be smack dab in the middle of his prime, as will Blake. Not to mention in this next draft, even if Minny is much improved and its only a top 10 pick, there is a lot of depth, star wise, in this draft.

this and the pick will determine the ultimate fairness of the trade. if paul holds up and stays healthy, i think it was worth it no matter what.

paul handled his rehab the right way, so i am optimistic. again, though, removed cartilage does not re-grow so it comes down to how much bone-on-bone action there is in the knee. iirc roy had virtually no cartilage in either knee. paul had some cartilage removed from one knee, but i don't believe it's exclusively bone-on-bone.

still, i'd hope that LA did the research neccessary to ensure themselves that this wasn't a big-time risk. we'll see.

rhymeratic
12-16-2011, 10:38 AM
They gave up a lot for a PG with a bad knee...
However, I'm not as high on Eric Gordon as a lot of people seem to be... to me he is a glorified Randy Fore/Rodney Stuckey/Monta Ellis type. An undersized combo guard.

If he's your 6th man aka Jason Terry then its great. If you're relying on him to carry your team.... see you in the lottery.

So to me the only thing that really hurts is the Minny pick because that could have gotten them a STUD SF.

thenaj17
12-16-2011, 10:39 AM
Chris Paul may end up being one of the best PG's of all time. Gordon doesn't come close to that.

I think it was a good trade. They managed to hold onto two of their three best players (Jordan, Griffin) and acquire a top 5 player. With Griffin still on a rookie deal they have the cap room next year to sign a big name player or two, and SG's and SF's are going to flock to that team to play with that trio. The team's going to be stacked. It really could only have been better if they got rid of Mo Williams in the deal to open up more cap room.

I think you are overrating Jordan way too much. Ignoring his low stats as they are not an indication of talent, he just isn't a good offensive player and he's not defensively dominating either. He does have good upside though.

Also, the use of 'top 5' is so overused it's stupid. How many top 5 players are there in this league?? I thought it was supposed to be 5...
LeBron, Kobe, Wade, Howard, Rose, Deron (who always outplays Paul head to head), Nowitzki are arguably better players than CP3. He's a top 8 player guaranteed but 5th at very best.

With Billups and Butler aswell, CLippers will be much better than before and do have an exciting future.

king4day
12-16-2011, 10:53 AM
If this were the Lakers, and established franchise, then I'd say they probably could have just waited this out.
But the Clippers and failure go hand in hand. They HAD to make this deal to turn the franchise around. 2 years is plenty of time to convince him to stick around and I'm sure Blake will get even better.
They will likely become a better pairing than Nash/Amar'e was

Method28
12-16-2011, 10:59 AM
Well first thing ia take out kobe, rose, n dwill. Dwill has always had talent around him n he doesnt make everyone around him better the way cp does. Kobe iant a top 5 any konger imo. N rose either. Not yet. Hasnt done it for long enough. So you have lebron, howard, n wade. Then u can put cp3 where u like after that. But putting two other pgs ahead of paul is just wrong

HuRRiCaNeS324
12-16-2011, 11:09 AM
When you are trading for one of the best players in the NBA, you're gonna have to give up a lot. The Clippers did, but was it a bad deal for them? Hell no.

Glad NOH isn't gonna get raped like the Cavs because i think the rebuilding process is gonna be fast if they end up getting 2 top 10 picks.

strokeman
12-16-2011, 11:14 AM
Chauncey
Gordon
Butler
Blake
DeAndre

I totally understand the rationale of the trade, and hope it works out, I just don't think I would've done it.

i like the lineup before C3p, i think the move was made to get a PG to run the floor and give Blake those sweet passes for dunks. The thing is, i think the old lineup were title contenders and they would have had a MVP at the point in Billups. with this lineup they have 2 superstars with knee issues who strength is depending n there quickness (CP3) and leaping ability (Blake). Risky to play up-tempo

Dstmccoy
12-16-2011, 11:17 AM
Yes, they did by including Gordon- it was still alot with Bledsoe, Aminu, Kaman and the TW 1st.
Funny how Clippers refused to include Gordon until they conveniently won the bid on Billups.

Interesting Read From Adrian Wojnarowski
Chris Paul trade stained NBA’s credibility" YahooSports
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_yl...d_stern_121511

Better-Than-You
12-16-2011, 11:34 AM
When you are trading for one of the best players in the NBA, you're gonna have to give up a lot. The Clippers did, but was it a bad deal for them? Hell no.

Glad NOH isn't gonna get raped like the Cavs because i think the rebuilding process is gonna be fast if they end up getting 2 top 10 picks.

Well... David Stern is dumb as Dan Whinyass Gilbert....

Better-Than-You
12-16-2011, 11:36 AM
Yes, they did by including Gordon- it was still alot with Bledsoe, Aminu, Kaman and the TW 1st.
Funny how Clippers refused to include Gordon until they conveniently won the bid on Billups.

Interesting Read From Adrian Wojnarowski
Chris Paul trade stained NBA’s credibility" YahooSports
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_yl...d_stern_121511

conspiracy??? They must release the bids to the public in order to clear any foul plays..

Gram
12-16-2011, 11:36 AM
They gave up a lot for a PG with a bad knee...
However, I'm not as high on Eric Gordon as a lot of people seem to be... to me he is a glorified Randy Fore/Rodney Stuckey/Monta Ellis type. An undersized combo guard.

If he's your 6th man aka Jason Terry then its great. If you're relying on him to carry your team.... see you in the lottery.

So to me the only thing that really hurts is the Minny pick because that could have gotten them a STUD SF.

While I don't agree with that at all, I'm not gonna knock you for thinking that. I think that he is athletic enough, and can shoot well enough to start on almost any team in the league, any team if it doesn't matter what position he'd start at. He also plays good D from what I've seen. He's a borderline All star, and I think LA gave up a couple more assets than necessary, although it was probably inevitable that Gordon goes in the trade.

RaiderKid318
12-16-2011, 11:40 AM
i've said it once and i'll say it again -- this years draft is getting overhyped. drummond imo is the only player with top pick potential.

yes, anthony davis is oozing with talent and plays great d, but the kid is skinny as a rail and beyond limited on offense.

perry jones is the only other guy with 'zomgz' talent. i think the draft will be very, very DEEP -- but not as top-heavy as some make it out to be.

how this all turns out will play a huge part in the long-term opinions on the trade.

If we get Drummond then I think we will have got the better of the deal. If not then who knows, maybe sullinger won't be to bad. Davis is just too small to take a chance on.

DeShaun Brown
12-16-2011, 11:53 AM
I wouldn't say EG is better than CP3 however EG + that pick are.

I agree...for now. But in the future it may be a different story.

beasted86
12-16-2011, 11:59 AM
Yes, they did.

Just like the Carmelo situation w/NY, the Clippers could have signed him outright in the summer while keeping Gordon & the Minnesota 1st.... just not Kaman, and they wouldn't have been able to sign Butler this summer.

But at the end of the day they didn't want to take the gamble on the Knicks signing Chris Paul for pennies on the dollar.

But this lineup would have been a lot better:

PG: Paul / Bledsoe
SG: Gordon
SF: Minn 1st / Aminu
PF: Blake
C:: Jordan

kylem4711
12-16-2011, 12:39 PM
gordon wanted 18 mill a year to extend. sucks that he leaves, but it made it a lot easier to let him go

Dodgers99
12-16-2011, 12:45 PM
gordon wanted 18 mill a year to extend. sucks that he leaves, but it made it a lot easier to let him go

This.

It would've cost $50M+ to retain Blake, CP3 and Gordon.

DeShaun Brown
12-16-2011, 12:51 PM
You're way off base here. I'll start off by saying that I love Eric Gordon. He's a great young talent that may make some all star teams over the years, but Chris Paul is a once-in-a-decade type point guard, a consistent MVP caliber player, and already arguably one of the best point guards of all time.

The other pieces in the deal are essentially meaningless in comparison. You may like Kaman, but he was not a cornerstone to the trade by any stretch. You may like Aminu, but the bottom line is right now he's still a very unpolished bench player.

This comes down to a good up-and-coming scorer and a draft pick for one of the best PG's ever. Chris Paul makes his teammates a hell of a lot better too, more so than Gordon. And yes, the draft pick should be a good position in the upcoming "loaded" draft, but that's far from a guarantee. If you're the
Clippers, you take the deal.

Bottom line - it seems to be a great trade for both teams. If Chris Paul's knees
give out in a few years, then maybe not.

Chris Paul may end up being one of the best
PG's of all time. Gordon doesn't come close to that.

I think it was a good trade. They managed to hold onto two of their three
best players (Jordan, Griffin) and acquire a top 5 player. With Griffin still on a
rookie deal they have the cap room next year to sign a big name player or
two, and SG's and SF's are going to flock to that team to play with that trio.
The team's going to be stacked. It really could only have been better if they
got rid of Mo Williams in the deal to open up more cap room.

I know I'm going to get a lot of heat for this but Chris Paul isn't even the best point guard in the league right now. Sure he's great, but he's not the best. Right now the competition at the 1 is as tight as it's ever been. Compared to guys like Rose, Westbrook, and Wall, Paul is the old guy. He has reached his peak while those other guys are just getting started. Then you have to consider his bad knee. He's an undersized (6' 0") pg that relies on quickness and speed. What happens when he gets older and that knee continues to bother him or possibly gets worse? What's the first thing a player looses when he gets older and his knees go bad? In the end do you really say that he was better than either of those guys? Will you even say that he was better than Nash who is a multi MVP winner? What about Magic or Isaiah? I don't think so.

Also consider that he'll be playing with Blake and Caron, both of whom are big
injury risks. What happens if they both suffer another major injury and this team goes nowhere? Does Paul stay or leave? How much gas does Chauncey have in the tank? That team could easily be back in the lottery in the next couple of years.

Now I get why they would trade for him(I'm not saying they shouldn't have). For the first time ever they are the talk of the town. They stole the spotlight from the Lakers. They have put themselves in position to make some noise in the west. They have already cashed in financially from this deal. But if the deal would've been Bledsoe, Aminu, Kamen, and the TWolves pick for Paul, would anyone say that it was a bad deal for the Hornets? I wouldn't. They could flip Kamen. And build a team with the 2 lottery picks they'll have (Wolves and possibly their own). On the other hand, imagine the Clips lineup with Paul at the 1, Gordon at the 2, and
Billups off the bench.

thekmp211
12-16-2011, 01:05 PM
it also depends somewhat on what LA does with bledsoe now.

beasted86
12-16-2011, 01:49 PM

That makes no sense when his max salary would start at exactly $13,603,750 no matter if he stayed with the Clippers or went elsewhere.

Even if he stayed with the Clippers and signed the max, with max raises via Bird rights (7.5% per year), his salary would never hit $18M.

Rivera
12-16-2011, 01:55 PM
We still dnt know who minnys pick is...its a deep draft but what happens if people stay in school and the hornets end up drafting a bust? Then what?

this is fair value for a top5 player in the league...i say hornets win the trade but clipps got MUCH better than they were and it wasnt tooo much

kylem4711
12-16-2011, 02:05 PM
That makes no sense when his max salary would start at exactly $13,603,750 no matter if he stayed with the Clippers or went elsewhere.

Even if he stayed with the Clippers and signed the max, with max raises via Bird rights (7.5% per year), his salary would never hit $18M.

read it somewhere. didn't make it up.

Sources divulge agent Rob Pelinka's $18 million, four-year demand begrudgingly convinced the Clippers to include him in the pristine package. Had they not, of course, there would've been deal.

Aust
12-16-2011, 02:05 PM
They basically gave up a potentially good pick, Gordon, cap space, and a body.

I think it was pretty good for both sides, I guess it all depends on what that pick turns into and who the Hornets end up picking.

Rivera
12-16-2011, 02:11 PM
JJ barrea allowed kidd to move to the two guard and kidd did well enough at the 2 that it didnt hamper the mavs from winning the title...chauncey at the 2 shouldnt hamper the clips...the starting 5 for the clips has one change...cp3 instead of gordon and cp3> eric gordon so clipps got much better

Corey
12-16-2011, 02:11 PM
They basically gave up a potentially good pick, Gordon, cap space, and a body.

Aminu says hi

The goods
12-16-2011, 02:16 PM
Maybe they gave up to much but they got a super star how super stars has the clippers ever had? Nobody wanted to play for the lakers little bother matter of fact nobody even took them seriously maybe now players will actually take them as a serious destination now.

Madtown22
12-16-2011, 02:17 PM
The League forced the Clip to over pay. If the Wolves pick ends up being a top 5 pick in what will be a strong draft and E.G. continues to get better then for sure. Time will tell

mavwar53
12-16-2011, 02:31 PM
Um.... no, they couldn't have got him for any less so this is the price they were forced to pay if they wanted him.

BTW, as good as Gordon and Blake was they didn't even sniff the playoffs, CP3 made it with David West, Griffin will be much much better than him, I can't even imagine how amazing these 2 are going to be together. I also think CP3 will stay and they will become a Stockton/Malone type combo, together for a long long time is what I mean and considered one of the best PG/PF combo's ever.

beasted86
12-16-2011, 03:11 PM
read it somewhere. didn't make it up.

No problem.... but just goes to show some journalists are absolute ****, and have no credibility whatsoever in their "sources".