PDA

View Full Version : NBA Player Standard Response | It's good for my family

Arch Stanton
12-16-2011, 12:11 AM
Was just watching NBA TV and saw the Chris Paul interview after becoming a Clipper. Of course in the interview he stated the move was "good for his family."
Never understood this response. I've heard LeBron and K.G. say the same. How is no move not good for their families? Isn't the money still coming in? Or do they turn into raging psychopaths and direct that anger towards their families?

Avenged
12-16-2011, 12:23 AM
They say this because of the actual city, not the team.

L.A is ideal for any athlete who likes warm weather, plenty family activities, good school programs etc.. I mean the money will still come so it definitely doesn't have to do with that.

THE MTL
12-16-2011, 12:26 AM
Was just watching NBA TV and saw the Chris Paul interview after becoming a Clipper. Of course in the interview he stated the move was "good for his family."
Never understood this response. I've heard LeBron and K.G. say the same. How is no move not good for their families? Isn't the money still coming in? Or do they turn into raging psychopaths and direct that anger towards their families?

1. Miami is a MUCH NICER place than Cleveland, Ohio and the weather
2. Minnesota is cold as hell
3. Los Angeles beats New Orleans

Raps08-09 Champ
12-16-2011, 12:28 AM
Who wouldn't want their family in LA?

Mudvayne91
12-16-2011, 12:31 AM

me :hide:

Arch Stanton
They say this because of the actual city, not the team.

L.A is ideal for any athlete who likes warm weather, plenty family activities, good school programs etc.. I mean the money will still come so it definitely doesn't have to do with that.

But how is it any better for their families? Other cities have warm weather, plenty of family activities, and good school programs. Heck, it was 55 degrees in Cleveland today. And K.G. went to Boston which gets just as cold as any northern city. Plus didn't CP3 go from NO (warm weather) to LA (more warm weather). Also, I've lived in LA and have heard some actors prefer not to raise families in LA. Nothing against LA.

BrandoCommando

Me.

Raps08-09 Champ
12-16-2011, 12:35 AM
me :hide:

Me.

Well neither would I.

But I'm talking about egotistical spoiled athletes here who grew up with nothing so they buy luxuries to fill the void.

Mudvayne91
12-16-2011, 12:36 AM
Well neither would I.

But I'm talking about egotistical spoiled athletes here who grew up with nothing so they buy luxuries to fill the void.

Ah, well consider my comment rescinded

Twista
12-16-2011, 12:39 AM
L.A. is a freakin' cliche place to go. It's like someone trying to settle on a place to vacation and choosing Paris because they have preconceived notions that are wrong about every other damn place so the only places anybody ever goes is Paris and Italy. L.A. is a modern city and has nice weather, woopee who cares. So do a lot of other places. Do people have any idea how beautiful Maine is? New Hampshire? Rhode Island?

BlazersDozen
12-16-2011, 12:41 AM
If it was really about all that stuff then players would be dying to play in Portland where its 80-90 degrees in the summer with good private schools.

I take "It's good for my family" as I'm going to a bigger market and will get more endorsements aka more money.

Nobody wants to raise their family in Los Angeles.

Corey
12-16-2011, 12:43 AM
Even if it is a standard response, and an easy way to opt out of telling the complete and utter truth, there's a grain of truth in it one way or another.

Arch Stanton
12-16-2011, 12:44 AM
1. Miami is a MUCH NICER place than Cleveland, Ohio and the weather
2. Minnesota is cold as hell
3. Los Angeles beats New Orleans

Why do people hate cold weather?
Do you not like season changes? You've ever heard of skiing? If you're so concerned with weather then you must consider all the tropical storms that travel through Miami.
And the cold weather agenda needs to be thrown out if players want to go to New York/Chicago. How is the weather in Cleveland/Minnesota different from New York?
You're just playing off all the other negative comments stated about Cleveland. You've probably never been here.
I understand that young, immature, ego-driven athletes prefer the spotlight that Miami or LA offers.
I've never been to New Orleans but heard incredible things about it. Good food, and great music.
I've lived in LA and would prefer San Fran or San Diego over the City of Angels any day.

AKAYaReal
12-16-2011, 12:45 AM
Opportunities! From the wife down to the kid. Much easier to land a acting role when you live in the city where all major studios are in.

For some, they actually move closer to their family and where they grew up.

Though they may have a lot of money, while the player is on the road playing ball, the family may be stuck back at home in a boring city with not much to do.

Arch Stanton
12-16-2011, 12:48 AM
Even if it is a standard response, and an easy way to opt out of telling the complete and utter truth, there's a grain of truth in it one way or another.

The grain of truth being that they don't want to play for the previous team? It almost comes across as the Miss America Pageant except I'm not sexually aroused.

Arch Stanton
12-16-2011, 12:51 AM
Opportunities! From the wife down to the kid. Much easier to land a acting role when you live in the city where all major studios are in.

For some, they actually move closer to their family and where they grew up.

Though they may have a lot of money, while the player is on the road playing ball, the family may be stuck back at home in a boring city with not much to do.

Okay, so every NBA family wants to become actors? :facepalm:
How do you explain Miami?

Dolfan305
12-16-2011, 12:54 AM
Miami>Cleveland
Boston>Minnesota
LA> New Orleans

Deal with it

don'tfireNedCo
12-16-2011, 12:55 AM
big cities are comfortable when you are rich and a minority. even here in oregon people sometimes look at me funny or get pulled over by cops to check my vehicles because i am not white and tend to have nice things.

i was once pulled over into my own office's parking lot by local cops because i fit the description of a serial bank robber. what is the description? 5-10 200 poundish brown male. i am not even hispanic.

DodgerBulls
12-16-2011, 12:55 AM
If it was really about all that stuff then players would be dying to play in Portland where its 80-90 degrees in the summer with good private schools.

I take "It's good for my family" as I'm going to a bigger market and will get more endorsements aka more money.

Nobody wants to raise their family in Los Angeles.

Too much TV.

Do you not like season changes? You've ever heard of skiing? If you're so concerned with weather then you must consider all the tropical storms that travel through Miami.
And the cold weather agenda needs to be thrown out if players want to go to New York/Chicago. How is the weather in Cleveland/Minnesota different from New York?
You're just playing off all the other negative comments stated about Cleveland. You've probably never been here.
I understand that young, immature, ego-driven athletes prefer the spotlight that Miami or LA offers.
I've never been to New Orleans but heard incredible things about it. Good food, and great music.
I've lived in LA and would prefer San Fran or San Diego over the City of Angels any day.

I like SF, but I 100% agreed with SD.

BTW, how's the weather in HK right now? I'll be there in a week for much needed relaxation.

Arch Stanton
12-16-2011, 01:10 AM
Too much TV.

I like SF, but I 100% agreed with SD.

BTW, how's the weather in HK right now? I'll be there in a week for much needed relaxation.

Weather in Hong Kong is sub-tropical. Probably close to Miami. Plus you can island hop, check out pink dolphins, giants Buddhas on Lantau island, and gamble at Macau.
Cleveland isn't bad either. Places have different significance for different people. I can understand how young athletes want Miami, LA, and NY. With the money, and the women, and the fame... but what's their priority?

Arch Stanton
12-16-2011, 01:12 AM
Miami>Cleveland
Boston>Minnesota
LA> New Orleans

Deal with it

Intelligent reasoning! :facepalm:

D Roses Bulls
12-16-2011, 01:14 AM
what they mean is, this is a good move for them. go to LA, hook up with all the club rats an girls that came out there to be famous.

Arch Stanton
12-16-2011, 01:20 AM
what they mean is, this is a good move for them. go to LA, hook up with all the club rats an girls that came out there to be famous.

Aren't they already famous? Not every player says this regarding LA. How many NBA stars are currently actors?

blahblahyoutoo
12-16-2011, 01:22 AM
i didn't know nba players were so family oriented.
you know... all the baby mammas, the wimmenz on the side, having kids out of wedlock, divorces, cheating.

Chronz
12-16-2011, 01:24 AM
This is why I never understood why people hated when athletes like Tmac spoke the blunt truth about things. Its as if they rather get the team manufactured PR response .

Arch Stanton
12-16-2011, 01:32 AM
This is why I never understood why people hated when athletes like Tmac spoke the blunt truth about things. Its as if they rather get the team manufactured PR response .

Yep... that or at least provide some other less blatant manufactured excuse.

IBleedPurple
12-16-2011, 03:33 AM
LA, blah

billsftw
12-16-2011, 04:21 AM
You can;t change what people like
at the end of the day you have to face the truth
not many people want to go to ohio

theheatles
12-16-2011, 10:08 AM

Cold weather and snow can become depressing, it's fine for like 2 weeks but after that it's awful.
The only season changes people enjoy is when autumn begins and when winter ends, and living in south florida we skip winter.
Skiing is an activity that can be done on a vacation destination.
I have lived in south florida (Boca Raton, Ft. Lauderdale, Hollywood, Deerfield) for 23 years and my life has been hindered by storms 3 times (Andrew, Katrina, Wilma) for about a week each with pretty much just losing power and trees down (Andrew was bad but I was about 20 miles north of the major destruction), even though I really loved them because hurricane parties were the greatest events ever. And you can detect hurricanes with plenty of time to evacuate so a pro athlete with their resources can avoid anything of that nature.
My step dad is from Euclid and I've been to cleveland in February 3 yrs ago and it is awful and depressing. The only thing locals recommended was the rock n roll HoF and go to a cavs game...the best part of my trip was driving through enemy territory to get a dagwood