PDA

View Full Version : Russell Westbrook Contact Situation. Next Years Summer Drama?

dsickich123
12-15-2011, 11:02 PM
Russell Westbrook is obviously young superstar in the NBA, and one of the games top point guards. But, many question whether or not he is a god fit for the Oklahoma City, as he is a scoring point guard. People are afraid he wants to be the star, and will hold Kevin Durant back. There is no denying his talent though.

Many, probably including Westbrook, believe Westbrook deserves to be a max player. Many also thought that the Thunder would grant him this Max Contract as soon as the lockout was finished.

Westbrook will become a free agent next summer, and the Thunder have yet to extend him. Many thought this would be done by now. Sam Presti, the Thunders GM, is very meticulous how he spends every penny..

Do you think the Thunder extend Westbrook this season?

If so, does he deserve a max contract? Should he be the PG of the future in OKC?

AND FINALLY, if not, can you see Westbrook being the new Chris Paul/Dwight Howard/Carmelo drama of next season?

THE MTL
12-15-2011, 11:04 PM
He'll be extended and I believe he fits in well with the Thunder. They won FIFTY GAMES last year and went to the Western Conference Finals as a young team. Whats not fitting in??

KB-Pau-DH2012
12-15-2011, 11:10 PM
No CP3 ?

No problem, lets just go a little younger with better knees in Mr. Russell Westbrook, UCLA production. ;)

dsickich123
12-15-2011, 11:15 PM
No CP3 ?

No problem, lets just go a little younger with better knees in Mr. Russell Westbrook, UCLA production. ;)

You right though. Westbrook grew up in LA his while, played high school and college ball in LA. A friend of mine played against Westbrook (and with James Harden) in LA. Both of those two competed in high school. Im sure Westbrook LOVES LA. This could be a possible destination. I mean okc vs. los angeles (where he grew up.) Very possible. Pieces fit.

Carey
12-15-2011, 11:18 PM
He wont make it to RFA, they get something done before the deadline. Presti and Co. are negotiating as well as familiarizing themselves with the in's and outs of the new CBA. This extension is probably the most important in the future of the thunder, it needs to be the right deal for both sides.

dhopisthename
12-15-2011, 11:25 PM
he will be a restricted free agent so there is no chance he leaves the thunder unless they want him too.

dsickich123
12-15-2011, 11:26 PM
He wont make it to RFA, they get something done before the deadline. Presti and Co. are negotiating as well as familiarizing themselves with the in's and outs of the new CBA. This extension is probably the most important in the future of the thunder, it needs to be the right deal for both sides.

I am also a Thunder fan, and I hope that they extend Westbrook. But do you truly believe they sign Westbrook to a max deal? When it could put the signing of both Harden and Ibaka in jeopardy.

I want to believe the Thunder can sign and keep all four pieces in KD, James, Ibaka, and Russell. But to be real, after signing Westbrook to a max, Im not sure thats going to be possible.

I believe that Presti will think long and hard about this...

loublue22
12-15-2011, 11:28 PM
They should trade him and Ibaka for Dwight. Magic can sign him to a max deal and build around him as the man.

Baller1
12-15-2011, 11:29 PM
He'll be resigned once Presti and Co. familiarize themselves with the new CBA.

Raps08-09 Champ
12-15-2011, 11:31 PM
He's a pretty cocky guy who looks like wants to be #1.

I wouldn't be surprised if he goes somewhere to be the man instead of teaming up or resigning to be a sidekick.

AnAbusedTurtle
12-15-2011, 11:40 PM
Absolutely not. No chance they let Russ walk. With Durant and Westbrook to build from, they've got years of championships to come.

hugepatsfan
12-15-2011, 11:46 PM
Absolutely not. No chance they let Russ walk. With Durant and Westbrook to build from, they've got years of championships to come.

They don't have the big man you need to win multiple titles IMO. Dirk, Pau, KG, Duncan, Shaq - those guys have won every title except that one DET team (outlier). Perk is obviously not that guy and I don't see Ibaka ever developing into a go to post scorer. They need that guy.

MeLaPelan!
12-15-2011, 11:46 PM
Damn the word "Superstar" get's thrown around to easily nowadays.

dsickich123
12-15-2011, 11:47 PM
He'll be resigned once Presti and Co. familiarize themselves with the new CBA.

But, if they sign Westbrook to a max contract, I do not believe they will be able to sign James Harden and Serge Ibaka (assuming there progression).

Ibaka is a big man they probably wont want to let go of, so realistically I think that Presti in going to have to choose between Westbrook (max) and Harden+another good PG.

Presti has a lot on his plate. What do you think?

Carey
12-15-2011, 11:47 PM
He's a pretty cocky guy who looks like wants to be #1.

I wouldn't be surprised if he goes somewhere to be the man instead of teaming up or resigning to be a sidekick.

This misconception has gotten a little ridiculous. The guy is a gamer, he's a fierce competitor, you put him in a starting lineup with three non offensive players and 1 player who at times in the playoffs has struggled to get open and you criticize him for shouldering the load and trying to help his team win. There been plenty of times ive seen him look for KD and he cant get open and the other guy are sitting and watching him or unable to get a shot for themselves. Yet none of this is mentioned when Westbrook is discussed. Like any young player he has to grow and mature and a player and decision maker but he is absolutelety not a selfish player.

Carey
12-15-2011, 11:51 PM
They don't have the big man you need to win multiple titles IMO. Dirk, Pau, KG, Duncan, Shaq - those guys have won every title except that one DET team (outlier). Perk is obviously not that guy and I don't see Ibaka ever developing into a go to post scorer. They need that guy.

I wasnt aware that was a prerequisite to winning a title...

gaughan333
12-15-2011, 11:52 PM
They did not look to mesh well in some of those playoff games. Why isn't trading westbrook an option in this poll?

Carey
12-15-2011, 11:54 PM
^LOL! im done, goodnight guys

dsickich123
12-15-2011, 11:55 PM
They did not look to mesh well in some of those playoff games. Why isn't trading westbrook an option in this poll?

To be honest. i dont know. Thats def my bad. I have strep throat and I am on Vicatin pain medicine. Pretty loopy.

Raps08-09 Champ
12-15-2011, 11:56 PM
This misconception has gotten a little ridiculous. The guy is a gamer, he's a fierce competitor, you put him in a starting lineup with three non offensive players and 1 player who at times in the playoffs has struggled to get open and you criticize him for shouldering the load and trying to help his team win. There been plenty of times ive seen him look for KD and he cant get open and the other guy are sitting and watching him or unable to get a shot for themselves. Yet none of this is mentioned when Westbrook is discussed. Like any young player he has to grow and mature and a player and decision maker but he is absolutelety not a selfish player.

I don't have to look at his game to say he's cocky. His own teammates think he's cocky.

Sinestro
12-15-2011, 11:58 PM
Trade Westbrook/Ibaka/Perkins for Dwight. Harden, Durant and Dwight would win titles

dsickich123
12-16-2011, 12:02 AM
Trade Westbrook/Ibaka/Perkins for Dwight. Harden, Durant and Dwight would win titles

That REEEEEAAAALLLY steep for Dwight. No deal. At all. Westbrook is a top 15 player in the NBA (Granted that Dwight is top 5). Would not even do Westbrook and Ibaka alone.

Mr_Amaziing
12-16-2011, 12:03 AM

This

Don't judge someone if you don't actually kno them

Mr_Amaziing
12-16-2011, 12:10 AM
Okc is fine with their roster, Durant and Westbrook will stick together by each others side. Were not gonna trade anyone, This is our team and we'll stick with this team no matter what.

Everyone on Okc roster is are like brothers and brothers stick together

Punk
12-16-2011, 12:17 AM
Yeah, I think if Westbrook doesn't improve his passing he will get criticized for the short comings of the Thunder. Even if it's not necessary.

I wouldn't be surprised if he got traded to Boston for Rondo honestly.

Raps08-09 Champ
12-16-2011, 12:19 AM
Yeah, I think if Westbrook doesn't improve his passing he will get criticized for the short comings of the Thunder. Even if it's not necessary.

I wouldn't be surprised if he got traded to Boston for Rondo honestly.

They probably could have gotten CP3 with Westbrook and filler. I doubt they downgrade to Rondo.

IndyRealist
12-16-2011, 12:46 AM
I don't see Westbrook leaving unless Durant doesn't want him back. I also don't see Ibaka leaving, it's just too good of a situation for him. Honestly non-scoring role players don't command a whole lot of money.

Corey
12-16-2011, 12:47 AM
Take Rondo for him.

Perfect fit.

Raph12
12-16-2011, 01:00 AM
Russell Westbrook is a great player, stupid at times, but a great player none-the-less... If guys like Nene and Chandler get as much as they got, WB is a max player.

Birdmannn
12-16-2011, 01:13 AM
Westbrook is almost on par with Rose. If Rose deserves a max so does he.
He's young and takes bad shots some times but what third year player doesn't.
He is going to keep getting better, and with Harden in the starting line up watch his apg jump up 9-9.5 next season probably with a better fg%

LJEATON26
12-16-2011, 01:35 AM
Westbrook does deserve a Max contract, bad thing is that OkC probably won't be able to resign him, Harden and Ibaka with KD's contract on the books. Bringing in Dwight wouldn't help that much either with his $20 million contract

iggypop123
12-16-2011, 01:43 AM
rumor has it they are going to offer the max. there will be no drama there. just on whether he deserves it. but problems will arise when its time to pay harden

mdm692
12-16-2011, 02:23 AM
Come to phx we have enough money to sign 2 max contracts next year. B-)