PDA

View Full Version : Blazers to officially use their amnesty on B. Roy

KB-Pau-DH2012
12-15-2011, 04:41 PM
The Blazers will use the amnesty clause to waive Brandon Roy, according to Adrian Wajnarowski.
Roy is set to retire due to a chronic knee injury and should therefore clear waivers. A sad end to such a promising career, and another sad chapter for the Blazers. The move was made to get under the cap and sign Jamal Crawford. Dec 15 - 3:21 PM
Source: Adrian Wojnarowski on Twitter

rotoworld

MrfadeawayJB
12-15-2011, 04:48 PM
I didn't know they had to use the amnesty on a guy thats retired

don'tfireNedCo
12-15-2011, 04:53 PM
i could be wrong, but a player is not entitled to his salary when he is retired, but i think he is when amnestied then retired.

maybe a thank you retirement package paul allen is throwing in for roy?

D Roses Bulls
12-15-2011, 04:58 PM
i could be wrong, but a player is not entitled to his salary when he is retired, but i think he is when amnestied then retired.

maybe a thank you retirement package paul allen is throwing in for roy?

he isn't entitled to it if he retires. the magic tried for a couple years to get hill to retire so they wouldn't have to pay him and it wouldn't go against the cap.

Ebbs
12-15-2011, 04:59 PM
If the Blazers are amenstying him than letting him retire in order to send him atleast part of his owed salary I will be very impressed. classy move.

D-Leethal
12-15-2011, 05:13 PM
Pretty sure if you retire for basketball related injuries you get paid in full aka the Allan Houston rule

xnick5757
12-15-2011, 05:50 PM
Pretty sure if you retire for basketball related injuries you get paid in full aka the Allan Houston rule

I believe that it is covered by insurance, so yes. but the "allan houston" rule is the same as the amnesty clause, the funny thing was, houston wasn't even amnestied.

AKAYaReal
12-15-2011, 05:57 PM
Makes no sense. If they are amnestying him so he can still get his pay out, why not just let him retire and still give him his pay out?

If I remember correctly, Jason Williams received his full contract after he retired and was just paid off a few seasons ago.

The Ooh Child
12-15-2011, 06:05 PM
Aren't the Sixers still paying Matt Geiger?

Da Knicks
12-15-2011, 06:05 PM
to me it sounds as if roy will play again but just not with the blazers

TRF929
12-15-2011, 06:07 PM
Once they amnesty him, someone can just pick him up for dirt cheap and hope he doesnt retire. Even if he takes a year off that team would still have his rights and he could try to make a return. I don't see him logging big minutes, but could be a good 6th man

smith&wesson
12-15-2011, 06:20 PM
If the Blazers are amenstying him than letting him retire in order to send him atleast part of his owed salary I will be very impressed. classy move.

+1

lol your sig is funny.

oldfishermen
12-15-2011, 06:30 PM
The advantage of using the amnesty clause on Brandon rather than a medical retirement is. The Blazers will be under the luxury tax this season. The Blazers will have the full MLE to sign Jamal Crawford. All of Brandonís salary immediately comes off of the Blazers cap.

Under the medical retirement provision, all of Brandonís salary for this season would count against the cap and luxury tax. It takes a full year before a medical retired playerís salary no longer counts against the cap. This would leave the Blazers over the luxury tax cap with only the mini-MLE. The Blazers would not be able to sign Jamal Crawford this year to replace Brandon.

Brandon will receive his entire salary due from his contract either way. What I am not clear on yet is if insurance will pay the same part of his salary if he is amnestied that would be paid if he medically retires?

The Blazers just formally announced waving Brandon using the amnesty clause.

Tblaze
12-15-2011, 09:15 PM
It also makes sure we don't get screwed in a later stage as with the medical retirement of Darius Miles... Atleast we're now 100% sure Roy's contract will not show up on the cap anymore.

Fresno
12-15-2011, 09:20 PM
He has a bone on bone condition in both knees due to arthritis. However plenty of NFL players playing right now have that same condition, and they're still playing because they can accept the consequences down the line. That consequence is knee replacement in the next 10-20 years after they retire.

In Roy's case, there is also a possibility of him getting a meniscus transplant.

The issue is that it has never been performed on a current athlete, only on former athletes. If I were him, I'd go for it and give it a shot to see if I can get back to my old self on the court.

His "degenerative knees" isnt as bad as people make it out to be. The Blazers have known that he had arthritis in both knees since college and they knew that when they drafted him that it would eventually cause him issues.

For christ sakes, both Bobby Hurley & Jay Williams came back to make attempts at the NBA following even more catastrophic injuries. Shaun Livingston tore every ligament in his knee and came back to keep playing.

FlakeyFool
12-15-2011, 09:23 PM
Amnesty him and let him to go another team. #ownedblazers

Fresno
12-15-2011, 09:26 PM
Once they amnesty him, someone can just pick him up for dirt cheap and hope he doesnt retire. Even if he takes a year off that team would still have his rights and he could try to make a return. I don't see him logging big minutes, but could be a good 6th man

Hes going to pass through waivers and go unclaimed.

However, you can almost guarantee he'll get the urge to come back once March gets around and he can come off the bench for a title contender and go out on his own terms.