PDA

View Full Version : Which CP3 deal was better for the Hornets?

xnick5757
12-14-2011, 08:51 PM
the Lakers/Rockets offer:

Lamar Odom
Kevin Martin
Luis Scola
Goran Dragic
Rockets 2012 1st

the Clippers offer:

Eric Gordon
Al-Farouq Aminu
Chris Kaman
T-Wolves 2012 1st

I believe it was the Clippers offer. Gordon + T-Wolves 1st is a good base for rebuilding. The Lakers/Rockets offer would have made the Hornets an 8 seed for a few years, but then fall out of the playoffs completely. The ceiling for the Hornets is much higher with the Clipper's deal then the Lakers/Rockets.
What are you thoughts?

DaoudS
12-14-2011, 08:53 PM
Gordon and that Minnesota pick could be corner stones. Now only if Gordon wasn't a RFA after this season...

Ragun
12-14-2011, 08:54 PM
definitely the 2nd deal...they're a rebuilding team.

haggis
12-14-2011, 08:55 PM
LAC deal and it's not even close.

DodgerBulls
12-14-2011, 08:56 PM
Clippers deal for me. Minny's pick and Gordon is good enough for a rebuilding team.

JDM
12-14-2011, 08:57 PM
Definitely the Clips deal. Great trade to begin rebuilding with.

aussie
12-14-2011, 09:01 PM
clips, good for rebuilding just gotta get gordon an extension, and the lakers dont get any better :D

KB-Pau-DH2012
12-14-2011, 09:02 PM
Yea Clippers deal, that unprotected #1 pick is going to be huge!

203 Uconn LaL
12-14-2011, 09:02 PM
idk but the clippers got robbed. lost out on kyrie last year and lets see who they miss out on this year. the 2012 draft should be loaded

JordansBulls
12-14-2011, 09:04 PM
The 2nd deal easily once you factor in the future and rebuilding.

J4KOP99
12-14-2011, 09:04 PM
The hornets Better draft well.... That's all I'm gonna say.

xxplayerxx23
12-14-2011, 09:06 PM
clippers deal Gordan is young and could be a star, Got that kid Ammiu And Kaman isnt bad, Got an unprotected pick in this years draft which is stacked good deal for them

nycericanguy
12-14-2011, 09:07 PM
Say what you want about Stern but he got NOH a MUCH better deal. He would make a great GM.

Why Demps would trade for older players going on 30 or over on big contracts I have no idea. Stern stepped in and saved NOH.

In 2 years I wouldn't be surprised if it was NOH that ended up with the steal. Gordan is a young star, Aminu is a good young player, and MIN's pick could be top 10 in a STACKED draft.

ManRam
12-14-2011, 09:12 PM
The first one is better for next year, and next year only. Even so, it could keep them out of the lottery, risking the chance of getting another good pick.

The second one is FAR better for the future...and that's what matters.

THE GIPPER
12-14-2011, 09:16 PM
The second one and its not close. Probably only homer Laker fans voting for the first one.

ThunderousDemon
12-14-2011, 09:23 PM
This thread is ridiculous we all know the clippers deal was better so why still bring it up.

HouRealCoach
12-14-2011, 09:32 PM
The hornets Better draft well.... That's all I'm gonna say.

They will get Teague lol & hopefully Drummond or Sullinger

Evolution23
12-14-2011, 09:36 PM
Clippers didn't get robbed but their deal is much better than the Lakers

rhymeratic
12-14-2011, 09:49 PM
2nd deal is LIGHTYEARS better than the first one. The first one was basically bad contracts of middling players being dumped on them. Now they got an All-Star SG, All-Star Center, young SF... a lottery pick + their own and trade chip in Okafor. Then again they could keep him....

C Kaman
PF Okafor
SF Ariza
SG Gordon
PG Jack

6th Aminu SF
7th Belinelli SG

That is NOT a bad lineup at all.

And who's to say they don't put in a claim for Baron Davis....

Burkey3472
12-14-2011, 09:50 PM
The first trade allows the team to have a very average team with very little ceiling that would be a 6-8th seed in the playoffs every year for the foreseeable future.

The second trade hurts them this year in record but gives them a very promising 2 guard, and potential two high picks in a loaded draft. If all turns out well, they could have 3 potential studs that could help them compete in the West.

I'd vote for the 2nd deal

jammastershake
12-14-2011, 10:10 PM
lol at the 7 lakers fans who voted for deal 1 so far

I want david stern as my gm.

LOOTERX9
12-14-2011, 10:13 PM
The clippers deal. Stern is owed a rare apology. They made the right move

Khalifa21
12-14-2011, 10:17 PM
idk but the clippers got robbed. lost out on kyrie last year and lets see who they miss out on this year. the 2012 draft should be loaded

I really struggle to say a team got "robbed" when they just added the best PG in the league to their roster...

nickdymez
12-14-2011, 10:20 PM
The second one and its not close. Probably only homer Laker fans voting for the first one.

And Laker haters voted for the second one.

Bruno
12-14-2011, 10:26 PM
We can't yet say. Doesn't it depend on which # pick, and thus which player they land in the draft? If they fall in the "lottery" or draft a bum the first package is better.

Conventional knowledge says the Clippers package is better for a rebuilding team, but what I mentioned above should be considered. It's safe, but not certain, to say that the Clippers package was better.

valade16
12-14-2011, 11:07 PM
We can't yet say. Doesn't it depend on which # pick, and thus which player they land in the draft? If they fall in the "lottery" or draft a bum the first package is better.

Conventional knowledge says the Clippers package is better for a rebuilding team, but what I mentioned above should be considered. It's safe, but not certain, to say that the Clippers package was better.

Not gonna lie I read your first paragraph and was ready to chew into you... Then I read your 2nd paragraph. Bolded part is spot on!

:clap:

Raps18-19 Champ
12-14-2011, 11:08 PM
Clippers.

Only idiots would actually accept that 1st deal to begin with.

mike_noodles
12-14-2011, 11:10 PM
All this tells me is how many Lakers fans are voting.

Raps18-19 Champ
12-14-2011, 11:10 PM
And Laker haters voted for the second one.

More like people with common sense.

tmacmamba
12-14-2011, 11:11 PM
I'm a Laker fan and i think by far the second deal is better mostly because of Eric Gordon.

tmacmamba
12-14-2011, 11:12 PM
Clippers.

Only idiots would actually accept that 1st deal to begin with.

Dell Demps is an idiot?

Raps18-19 Champ
12-14-2011, 11:14 PM
Dell Demps is an idiot?

Considering he wanted it, he is.

They just got a better package. So yea, he is an idiot.

Raps18-19 Champ
12-14-2011, 11:15 PM
This thread is ridiculous we all know the clippers deal was better so why still bring it up.

Because we still have idiots actually complaining the first one should have gone since it was "fair".

NBA_Starter
12-14-2011, 11:15 PM
Clippers offer

Brian Webstar
12-14-2011, 11:20 PM
Hands down the Clippers offer. Thats a great deal for the Hornets,Clippers & the NBA. It sucks as a Laker fan but got to give credit where credit is due & the Clippers are a scary team right now. This gives the Hornets some nice young chips & flexibility for the near future & the NBA is smiling ear to ear because 2 LA Super Teams?$?$?$?$?$?$?$?$?$

naps
12-14-2011, 11:21 PM
For a rebuilding franchise? You got Eric Gordon and Minni's 1st, which might very well be a top 5 pic in next years loaded draft? This must be a trick thread!

numba1CHANGsta
12-14-2011, 11:21 PM
The Rockets will have a higher draft pick in 2012 mark my words

Oefarmy2005
12-14-2011, 11:22 PM
There should even be a poll for this. The Hornets made out like bandits on this one. Much, much better trade for NO.

tmacmamba
12-14-2011, 11:23 PM
Considering he wanted it, he is.

They just got a better package. So yea, he is an idiot.

:facepalm:

You do know that was the best trade offer on the table right? Chris Paul had said Knicks or Lakers he ruled out the Clippers, and the Knicks picked up Tyson Chandler so that ruled them out too so it was Lakers or bust. Dell Demps got great value at the TIME of that trade, is the trade offer the Hornets got from the Clippers better? YES but Dell Demps is no idiot considering they wanted to trade Chris Paul before training camp to avoid this exact mess that just occurred.

Raps18-19 Champ
12-14-2011, 11:24 PM
The Rockets will have a higher draft pick in 2012 mark my words

Why would they?

Everyone was saying that Martin and Scola were so talented that they could bring the Hornets into the playoffs. Why can't they do the same for a deeper Rockets team?

IndyRealist
12-14-2011, 11:26 PM
Clippers by a mile. Declining vets on long term deals, or an expiring contract and 3 top 10 draft picks (Gordon, Aminu, Minny's 1st)

Raps18-19 Champ
12-14-2011, 11:26 PM
:facepalm:

You do know that was the best trade offer on the table right? Chris Paul had said Knicks or Lakers he ruled out the Clippers, and the Knicks picked up Tyson Chandler so that ruled them out. Dell Demps got great value at the TIME, is the trade offer the hornets got for the Clippers better? YES but Dell Demps is no idiot considering they wanted to trade Chris Paul before training camp to avoid this exact mess that just happened.

He's an idiot for panicking and listening to everyone telling him "Trade him or else he'll wall". He panicked and made a deal even he knew was probably not the best but did it just so he can get something in return.

FLWolvesFan
12-14-2011, 11:28 PM
What are the odds that the NOH ends up with both the first and second overall picks in the 2012 draft?;)

Raps18-19 Champ
12-14-2011, 11:29 PM
What are the odds that the NOH ends up with both the first and second overall picks in the 2012 draft?;)

Stern already used that trick last year.

What are the chances he uses that trick in back to back years?

Kyben36
12-14-2011, 11:30 PM
Kaman could be a great trade peice, he may not be a go to type C, but he is damn solid.

also, Aminu played well for a rook, we shall see if he can develop.

Vincent33
12-14-2011, 11:31 PM
Clippers deal was better for the Stern Hornets.

Raps18-19 Champ
12-14-2011, 11:31 PM
Kaman could be a great trade peice, he may not be a go to type C, but he is damn solid.

also, Aminu played well for a rook, we shall see if he can develop.

He was even rumoured to be traded for Iggy or Smoove last year. Hornets could very well get themselves another good player.

IndyRealist
12-14-2011, 11:32 PM

And the 4th overall pick, despite not having another first rounder.

tkshy
12-14-2011, 11:35 PM
It depend, are you looking at potential or the next 3-5 years.
Potenial the Clippers deal.
For now the Laker deal.

If Gordon and Amnu pan out and they draft well, that is a huge IF. With the Laker deal you know what you are getting.

tmacmamba
12-14-2011, 11:38 PM
He was even rumoured to be traded for Iggy or Smoove last year. Hornets could very well get themselves another good player.

Look for Chris Kaman to have a big year, its his contract year and the need for big men in the league is ridiculous.

tkshy
12-14-2011, 11:39 PM
And lets not hail Stern as the second coming of GM's, I'm sure he has a little more pull as the Commish.

AntiG
12-14-2011, 11:44 PM
Clippers by far.

Lakers/Rockets trade would have hampered the Hornets' cap situation with a bunch of average quality starters closing in on 30 (and in Odom's case, closing in on his mid 30s), no expirings, a mid to late round draft pick and not even giving up bad contracts either. It was a bad trade for the Hornets period, given that they were giving up the best PG in the entire NBA.

As I said in a different similar thread... if the Lakers got that same trade offer for Kobe Bryant when he was in his prime, they would laugh in the other teams' faces. You're talking about a franchise player, a superstar, the #1 player at his respective position... which Paul is.

The Clippers just gave up an expiring starter in Kaman, two young up and coming players on relatively affordable contracts, and the Timberwolves' draft pick, which in all likelihood will be a high lottery pick. Out of this trade, the Hornets will end up with an improved cap situation, a potential young star SG, young role player starter and a possible superstar with the Wolves' pick like a Perry Jones, Jared Sullinger, Harrison Barnes, Anthony Davis, Andre Drummond or Jeremy Lamb.

The trades weren't really even close. The Celtics' offer was better than what the Lakers were offering because Rondo is a better and younger player than Martin, Scola or Odom.

goldenstater
12-14-2011, 11:45 PM
the Clippers got raped in this deal. i completely get why they did it and got the best player in the deal. but man Gorden and that 1st are huge. that will probably be a top 5 pick. crazy! those lobs to Griffin are gonna be sick though!!! and the clippers will be really good. just a lot to give up.

Sota4Ever
12-14-2011, 11:45 PM
I think it depends on what the Hornets can do with all those pieces. If they are able to resign Eric Gordon and the Twolves pick is top 5(which I don't think it will be), and if they are able to trade Kaman for some more young talent they could have a good team in a couple years.

blastmasta26
12-14-2011, 11:46 PM
It depend, are you looking at potential or the next 3-5 years.
Potenial the Clippers deal.
For now the Laker deal.

If Gordon and Amnu pan out and they draft well, that is a huge IF. With the Laker deal you know what you are getting.
The Hornets are obviously looking to rebuild after trading a superstar away, so the Clippers deal is better by far.

Sota4Ever
12-14-2011, 11:46 PM
Haha rondo is not better then Kevin martin. I think that the only people that would agree with that is boston fans. Rondo is made for only the big 3 that is why boston keeps trying to trade him.

bmac
12-14-2011, 11:47 PM
Talent wise i guess the First deal, for what the honrets were looking for and helping them build for the future the second deal.

I swear if minny gets around 6-8 spot in the draft watch them to jump to first in the lottery and watch honrets get the fourth pick. looking like clevlands draft but i think stern will help them, get 2 high picks like he did with clevland. God got to love the NBA and its lottery system.

AntiG
12-14-2011, 11:51 PM
Haha rondo is not better then Kevin martin. I think that the only people that would agree with that is boston fans. Rondo is made for only the big 3 that is why boston keeps trying to trade him.

Rondo is a far better PG than Martin is a SG. Easily. Sure, Martin is a better scorer than Rondo of course, he is a SG afterall.

THE MTL
12-14-2011, 11:52 PM
Def the second one. The first was was stupid. Hornets took back more salary for mediocre talent that would have put them as a low-lottery team.

This deal, they cleared some salary with Kaman's expiring. Got young talent. Got amazing prospect (Gordon). And then got potentially a very HIGH pick.

alexander_37
12-14-2011, 11:52 PM
Anyone who doesn't think the 3 team deal is better is high.

goldenstater
12-15-2011, 12:09 AM

dude its 111 -18. your high. this is a way better deal. not for your team since you dont have Gasol but way better for the Hornets and its not even close.

Lakeshow24KB
12-15-2011, 12:19 AM
I think the second one was much better for future terms which the Hornets were looking for....however I think the Clippers made a mistake.

MTar786
12-15-2011, 12:22 AM
this is going to be the west top 8 this season
lakers
dallas
okc
clippers
grizzlies
spurs
twolves
blazers
------
nuggets
suns
warriors
jazz
rockets
hornets
kings

so IMO the rockets 1st pick holds more value than the twolves pick.
i bleieve the twolves will get the 7th or 8th seed in the west
people are counting out a combo of williams-rubio-love too easily.
twolves should be able to trade beasley and ridnour for something pretty decent too

alexander_37
Jack/Martin/Ariza/Scola/Oakafor with Odom/Landry off the bench is much better than

Jack/whoever/Ariza/Landry/Kaman with Oakafor Aminu off the bench

Raps18-19 Champ

Please explain to me how that deal was better?

I'd love to see your reasoning.

ink
12-15-2011, 12:23 AM
Made sense to hold out for the second deal. Clippers obviously.

IAmARanger18
12-15-2011, 12:24 AM
Easily the deal from the Clippers.

ink
12-15-2011, 12:24 AM
Jack/Martin/Ariza/Scola/Oakafor with Odom/Landry off the bench is much better than

Jack/whoever/Ariza/Landry/Kaman with Oakafor Aminu off the bench

Maybe for a year but that's not the point when a team is being SOLD. They need to demonstrate that they have a future, not just a mediocre present.

Sota4Ever
12-15-2011, 12:25 AM
MTar you are my hero for picking the wolves. I don't know if we will be that good, but we definitely could be.

alexander_37
12-15-2011, 12:25 AM
Maybe for a year but that's not the point when a team is being SOLD. They need to demonstrate that they have a future, not just a mediocre present.

So?? It's a better team better value ...????

Raps18-19 Champ
12-15-2011, 12:30 AM
So?? It's a better team better value ...????

:laugh2:

Is this a joke?

They'll be a better team for maybe 1 year before being so crap afterwards.

MTar786
12-15-2011, 12:37 AM
MTar you are my hero for picking the wolves. I don't know if we will be that good, but we definitely could be.

:box:
they really do have a fighters chance

I expect rubio to start off slow in the first 10 games but then really start performing. not many points. i think he'll average 9 and 8 this season.. but his presence will be felt

i expect derrick williams to flourish playing off love and rubio. he'll average 16-17.5 a game

and i think love will have a pretty good season too. like 18.5 and 12.5

guys like wes johnson and jj will do what they need to do. I hope they get rid of darko though. the reason i think theyre may be 8th seed though is because it will take them 10-15 games to gel and develop chemistry and also time to trade luke and mike

lakersrock
12-15-2011, 12:37 AM
If Minnesota makes the playoffs, the Hornets just accepted the wrong deal.

Raps18-19 Champ
12-15-2011, 12:40 AM
No one probably even had the Wolves making the playoffs before the lockout ended.

Why the sudden change of heart now?

AntiG
12-15-2011, 12:41 AM
If Minnesota makes the playoffs, the Hornets just accepted the wrong deal.

Not really. If the Lakers/Rockets deal would have gone through, the Rockets would have acquired Gasol through the trade, opened up a bunch of cap space to add his brother. After that, they would have added one more scorer and that team is one of the better teams in the west.

alexander_37
12-15-2011, 12:53 AM

Is this a joke?

They'll be a better team for maybe 1 year before being so crap afterwards.

How do you figure that Martin will age well like ray alen. Scola doesn't rely on jumping and speed that much he has a solid 4 years left. Dragic is reltively young and they pick up a first round draft pick.

Raps18-19 Champ
12-15-2011, 12:59 AM
How do you figure that Martin will age well like ray alen. Scola doesn't rely on jumping and speed that much he has a solid 4 years left. Dragic is reltively young and they pick up a first round draft pick.

Because even if they do age well, none of those guys are talented enough to bring them into the playoffs. And they do nothing for them in the future. Not to mention that they salaries would cripple them for a year or 2. Dragic doesn't really have any special potential and that first round pick will be higher than the Wolves pick.

Bishnoff
12-15-2011, 01:00 AM
LAC deal and it's not even close.

This.

blahblahyoutoo
12-15-2011, 01:03 AM
lol, basically only lakers fans picked the laker deal.
way to be subjective.

BlondeBomber41
12-15-2011, 01:11 AM

I'd say it's pretty damn certain, barring injury. Eric Gordon is an excellent player, Aminu is a recent lottery pick, Kaman at the very least should be able to snag them another pick or prospect, and that Minnesota pick should be a top pick.

When comparing that to three players in their 30's who most likely had zero interest in playing for New Orleans... I dont see the comparison.

Giraffes Rule
12-15-2011, 02:11 AM
Clippers, obviously. Gordon is a future all star, Kaman is a solid center with an expiring contract (that means a great trade chip), Aminu will be a productive player, and Minny's first is likely a lottery pick.

LA_Raiders
12-15-2011, 02:41 AM
The first are proven players... 2nd is based on potential...

I like the first but for a team that is for sale 2nd gives more flexibility to the new owners..

utl768
12-15-2011, 02:45 AM
the first one because it was accepted and signed off on by all parties involved

teams shouldnt be allowed do overs

Ebbs
12-15-2011, 02:47 AM
Clipps by a huge margin

More-Than-Most
12-15-2011, 03:00 AM
Lol People really voted on the lakers trade? They aren't even in the same universe...Clips gave up a ton.

More-Than-Most
12-15-2011, 03:02 AM
Seriously stern needs to retire as the commish because his abilities are being wasted... He needs to own a team...Stern owned everyone

OutOfTHEBLUE
12-15-2011, 03:21 AM
You guys have to remember that my fellow Lakers fans are seeing these trades through the eyes of a perennial contender. It's hard for us (Lakers fans) to imagine the Clippers offer as being better because it's just not something we're used to. It's not something we could ever imagine wanting for our own team.

So with all of that said, the Clippers' offer was far better. They gave up a LOT for CP3.

AntiG
12-15-2011, 09:59 AM
Lol People really voted on the lakers trade? They aren't even in the same universe...Clips gave up a ton.

those same Laker homers also thought the Pau Gasol trade was a fair one just because the 2nd round pick that the Grizzlies netted happened to end up as Marc. :rolleyes:

Raps18-19 Champ
12-15-2011, 11:21 AM
Seriously stern needs to retire as the commish because his abilities are being wasted... He needs to own a team...Stern owned everyone

I said the exact same thing. He'd be a boss of an owner.

Raps18-19 Champ
12-15-2011, 11:22 AM
You guys have to remember that my fellow Lakers fans are seeing these trades through the eyes of a perennial contender. It's hard for us (Lakers fans) to imagine the Clippers offer as being better because it's just not something we're used to. It's not something we could ever imagine wanting for our own team.

So with all of that said, the Clippers' offer was far better. They gave up a LOT for CP3.

I'm not really going to consider the first deal just because some Lakers fans got butt hurt they couldn't get CP3.

BigCityofDreams
12-15-2011, 11:36 AM
A majority of ppl fell the the 2nd seal is really good so 4-6 yrs from the Hornets should be a top team in the West.

Spencesc11
12-15-2011, 11:49 AM
The 1st deal was by far the better deal for the franchise.

Kevin Martin is a 50% shooter and 2 guard who averages 20 pts +

Lamar Odom might be the most versatile big ever. He can play 3, 4, or 5 and bring the ball down the court

Luis Scola is a budding star as a big man that should be in the 15-18 pt range and 10+ rebounds.

Goran Dragic showed some signs of being more than a backup point when he was behind Nash in Phoenix.

and the Rockets #1 pick will be a lottery pick and maybe even better than the Wolves next season. How many people really believe Kyle Lowery and Pau Gasol could've taken that club to the playoffs.....

So let's look at what they actually got.....

Eric Gordon - superstar??? I don't think so, he's a short Rip Hamilton all offense and no defense and not a "franchise leader"! Would much prefer K. Martin in the long term (quiet star)

Al Faroq Amini - can't shoot, no actual position as is he a 3 or 4 or just someone who can't do anything but defend at this level. I guess if he ever embraced a Dennis Rodman role but his ego won't ever allow it.

Chris Kaman - an often injured big man who is slow and regressing also not likely to be with team after next season.

and as we stated the pick is anyone's guess as the Rockets pick could end up higher.

So you people are telling me that a roster that included

J. Jack, K. Martin, T. Ariza, E. Okafor, and L. Scola with L. Odom off the bench is garbage???

New Orleans better hope Eric Gordon becomes a 25pt per game stud and complete player or otherwise they got trade raped.

nothappyinut
12-15-2011, 12:07 PM

Lamar Odom might be the most versatile big ever. He can play 3, 4, or 5 and bring the ball down the court

Luis Scola is a budding star as a big man that should be in the 15-18 pt range and 10+ rebounds.

Goran Dragic showed some signs of being more than a backup point when he was behind Nash in Phoenix.

and the Rockets #1 pick will be a lottery pick and maybe even better than the Wolves next season. How many people really believe Kyle Lowery and Pau Gasol could've taken that club to the playoffs.....

Eric Gordon - superstar??? I don't think so, he's a short Rip Hamilton all offense and no defense and not a "franchise leader"! Would much prefer K. Martin in the long term (quiet star)

Al Faroq Amini - can't shoot, no actual position as is he a 3 or 4 or just someone who can't do anything but defend at this level. I guess if he ever embraced a Dennis Rodman role but his ego won't ever allow it.

Chris Kaman - an often injured big man who is slow and regressing also not likely to be with team after next season.

and as we stated the pick is anyone's guess as the Rockets pick could end up higher.

J. Jack, K. Martin, T. Ariza, E. Okafor, and L. Scola with L. Odom off the bench is garbage???

New Orleans better hope Eric Gordon becomes a 25pt per game stud and complete player or otherwise they got trade raped.

Do you even watch basketball??? YOu sound like a fool with this rant, you might want to fact check before going into a multi paragraph rant about stuff thats incorrect.

You do realize that eric gordon last year averaged 22 points a game with a PER of 18 he also held his opponent to a PER of 14 meaning he can play defense. Martin averaged 23 points a game holding his opponent to a PER around 14. So those 2 little facts right there destory your whole line of thinking. Please fact check first next time:facepalm:

Corey
12-15-2011, 12:09 PM
The deal they got from the Clippers was insanely good.

I still think the Clippers overpaid.

tmacmamba
12-15-2011, 12:15 PM
Clippers deal by far, I'm a huge Laker fan and I'll be the first to tell you the only people trying to make the argument that the 1st deal was better are stubborn Lakers fans. I was pissed off that stern veto'd the deal but you can't deny stern got them a great deal and there's nothing we can do about it now but move on i'm still pissed that were not getting CP3 but at least we have a chance to go see him at Staples, Lakers vs Clipper games are gonna be intense.

Hugbees
12-15-2011, 12:22 PM
All this poll will show is how many Laker fans there are on this forum lol..

Spiderman 1nner
12-15-2011, 12:34 PM
you know what, people can criticize David Stern all they want, but he denied that trade because they need to sell the Hornets at some point and younger players making less money makes the franchise that much more appealing. He got both Eric Gordon and the unprotected 1st from Minnesota. If the Clippers didn't make this deal now they would have by the trade deadline and I think David Stern knew that. He comes away looking like a genius and that team should sell fast now.

NYMetros
12-15-2011, 12:36 PM
The Clippers deal is much better for the Hornets, not even close. Gordon + a future stud from this loaded draft class is a great haul for someone that was gonna leave in a year. Really good trade for both teams.

kpjets
12-15-2011, 12:37 PM
if i was NO i would ask Gordon right now if he was going to resign. if he won't i would trade him half way through the season to a team with good daft pick and or young players that have years left.

lakersrock
12-15-2011, 01:11 PM
No one probably even had the Wolves making the playoffs before the lockout ended.

Why the sudden change of heart now?

Because they have a very nice group of talent. They added Rubio and Williams to what was already there. If the coach is the right fit, they could definitely sneak in.

Raps18-19 Champ
12-15-2011, 01:45 PM
Because they have a very nice group of talent. They added Rubio and Williams to what was already there. If the coach is the right fit, they could definitely sneak in.

That doesn't answer my question.

I'm saying that before the lockout ended, I didn't hear anyone give the Wolves any credit. Now they are being considered close to a playoff team.

Heatcheck
12-15-2011, 01:56 PM

WTF?

There is no such thing as a 30yr old budding star, and i dont know what "he should be in the 10+ range" means, because he get 8 rb a game his whole career.

Eric Gordon is no more one dimensional (which he isnt because as the gentleman above stated, HE DOES PLAY D) than Kevin martin is, who by the way hasn't sniffed anything close to 47% (nothing to **** your pants about) since his 3rd yea. so at 22 he's basically the same player kevin is except 5 yrs younger and isnt considered injury prone and never had to have surgery on his WRIST.

The whole point of the Kaman trade is that his 12 million is coming off the books next year.

And that lineup isn't garbage, but its not winning, and its not drawing any crowds either.

And guess what? they didnt tack on another 15 million dollars in salary to a struggling franchise.

SouthSideRookie
12-15-2011, 03:18 PM
the first one because it was accepted and signed off on by all parties involved

teams shouldnt be allowed do overs

I love how many are praising Stern for the trade, he's a COMMISIONER, not a GM. His main goal should be to ensure that every team in the league gets treated fairly and under the same rules. The only reason why he didn't allow the trade was because of the other owners disapproval if not CP3 would be a Laker right now. So yes let's keep praising an idiot who just delivered a huge black eye on a league who's transparency was already in question.

WTF?

There is no such thing as a 30yr old budding star, and i dont know what he should be in the 10+ range means, because he get 8 a game his whole career.

Eric Gordon is no more one dimensional (which he isnt because as the gentleman above stated, HE DOES PLAY D) than Kevin martin is, who by the way hasn't sniffed anything close to 47% (nothing to **** your pants about) since his 3rd yea. so at 22 he's basically the same player kevin is except 5 yrs younger and isnt considered injury prone and never had to have surgery on his WRIST.

The whole point of the Kaman trade is that his 12 million is coming off the books next year.

And that lineup isn't garbage, but its not winning, and its not drawing any crowds either.
And guess what? they didnt tack on another 15 million dollars in salary to a struggling franchise.

I got news for you, Gordon isn't going to draw crowds either. Let me say this, I don't disagree on your assesment on Gordon at all.

The Clippers deal does give them more flexiblility but it's more based on potential, so it depends what NO GM wanted, if he wanted to remain competitive than obviously its the first deal.

Everyone seems to have this perception that rebuilding is so easy, why do you think teams like the Lakers and Rockets refuse to do it if possible. The Clippers are a prime example, it took them what over a decade to finally get Blake and even last season with all this talent your're praising they did exactly what, ask yourself why they finished where they did in the standings, far behind these teams with 'average' players you're undermining. There's many teams who try this route but find themselves stuck in perpetual suckitude drafting in the lottery year after year and have nothing to show for it. Trust me I also love the flashy plays and all but if I have a choice i'd rather go for the structured play that actually helps win you games but that's just me.

bowdown27
12-15-2011, 03:20 PM
Hornets received a better package this time around with Gordon and minny pick. Odom and kevin Martin for me doesn't compare. Odom is up there in age and Kevin Martin is very good but Gordon is better.

swirl54
12-15-2011, 03:34 PM
Clippers by far

The_Jamal
12-15-2011, 03:40 PM
The Clippers deal is the correct route to go and with two lotto picks in an insanely deep draft, the Hornets could be looking at a very quick post-CP3 rebuild. Having Gordon+2 lotto's+Aminu+ insane amounts of cap space in a deep FA class next year is a great way to rebuild

Gagan136
12-15-2011, 04:02 PM
Clipper deal was better, but i hate the nba for rejecting the other 2 deals and ruining relationships between players and their teams.

Crackadalic
12-15-2011, 04:04 PM
Clippers deal. When trading for a superstar you always want to get back young talent and high draft picks. Its only if you already have another good player on your team that you choose the 1st deal

Dijwaila
12-15-2011, 04:13 PM
The vetoed trade involving the Lakers and Rockets would have provided the Hornets with an aging team competing for a low playoff seed and little hope for the future.

The completed trade involving the Clippers provides young players with significant potential and at least one, most likely two, lottery picks when the season concludes.

The latter result is obviously better for the franchise, particularly as new ownership is sought.

Heatcheck
12-15-2011, 04:15 PM
I love how many are praising Stern for the trade, he's a COMMISIONER, not a GM. His main goal should be to ensure that every team in the league gets treated fairly and under the same rules. The only reason why he didn't allow the trade was because of the other owners disapproval if not CP3 would be a Laker right now. So yes let's keep praising an idiot who just [B]delivered a huge black eye on a league who's transparency was already in question.

I got news for you, Gordon isn't going to draw crowds either. Let me say this, I don't disagree on your assesment on Gordon at all.

The Clippers deal does give them more flexiblility but it's more based on potential, so it depends what NO GM wanted, if he wanted to remain competitive than obviously its the first deal.

Everyone seems to have this perception that rebuilding is so easy, why do you think teams like the Lakers and Rockets refuse to do it if possible. The Clippers are a prime example, it took them what over a decade to finally get Blake and even last season with all this talent your're praising they did exactly what, ask yourself why they finished where they did in the standings, far behind these teams with 'average' players you're undermining. There's many teams who try this route but find themselves stuck in perpetual suckitude drafting in the lottery year after year and have nothing to show for it. Trust me I also love the flashy plays and all but if I have a choice i'd rather go for the structured play that actually helps win you games but that's just me.

In this case the LEAGUE OWNS the hornets, he didnt randomly block some teams trade. in every sport the GM has to get approval from his owner. they dont just give them the keys and let them do what they want

Gordon wont draw crowds NEXT YEAR, but winning does and all signs point to him being an excellent sg

Those average players im undermining were the 4 and 5 options (except martin), so don't make it seem like they were even remotely the reason why their teams won. that team would get raped.

and i dont know what the last part of your statement has anything to do with you making a bunch of false statements like kevin martin shooting 50% or scola being a 10+ rebound guy, or ignoring the fact that kaman is a financial decision because of his contract.

nor do i remember saying that id rather have flashy plays

And newsflash donald sterling is the cheapest owner ever, ever. its common knowledge that they've had all the pieces over the years to compete or make moves to take the next step (Brand, Odom IN HIS PRIME not 31 yrs old, and on and on) but sterling didnt want to pony up the dough.