PDA

View Full Version : salary cap dump trades

likemystylez
12-14-2011, 07:28 PM
So the last few years we have made trades where we clearly gave up MORE talent for the purpose of clearing up cap space.

We traded Stephen Jackson for an injured raja bell and badvlad,

we traded jamaul crawford for a retired speedy claxton and acie law

We traded corey maggette for dan gadzuric and charlie bell (we might as well have just kept maggette and used the amnesty on him?)

Rather than try and get decent talent for those 20 ppg scorers, we freed up cap space. I was constantly saying that cap space is ONLY worth something if the team can turn it into solid players.

We unloaded maggette and crawford and all we have to show from it is kwame brown at an even more ridiculous annual pay rate.

I understand maggette wasnt a perfect player, and I understand crawford wasnt perfect... but these guys were still far better than the players we got back.

What makes matters worse is that the team could have used the expiring contracts last trade deadline to bring in some productive players but they either waive the expiring contracts or trade them for a second round pick.

If the bucks can turn gadzuric and bell into maggette, why couldnt the warriors turn badvlad, wright and gadzuric into something that could help the rotation. Once again, im not expecting to get d wade out of the deal or anything....but it seems liek the warriors are on the short end of the stick either way. (trading for expirings or trying to trade expirings)

TrueFan420
12-14-2011, 07:40 PM
yes our front office sucks dick... is the point of the thread just vent or is there something im missing?

likemystylez
12-14-2011, 07:54 PM
yes our front office sucks dick... is the point of the thread just vent or is there something im missing?

the point of the thread is that any trade that does not immediately make this team better should be viewed as a bad trade. Freeing up cap space has proven not to be an advantage by any stretch of the imagination.

All the people talking about these crazy ideas to free up 23 million for dwight howard next year, forget it. The warriors would fail to get anybody good, they would wind up offering josh mcroberts a 1 year 12 million dollar deal or something.

Lloyd Christmas
12-14-2011, 08:05 PM
the point of the thread is that any trade that does not immediately make this team better should be viewed as a bad trade. Freeing up cap space has proven not to be an advantage by any stretch of the imagination.

All the people talking about these crazy ideas to free up 23 million for dwight howard next year, forget it. The warriors would fail to get anybody good, they would wind up offering josh mcroberts a 1 year 12 million dollar deal or something.

That was me. I feel your frustration stylez. The way todays NBA is operating it appears you need a star player to attract other star players. So the 23 mil for Dwight was under the condition that we had Paul to recruit him.

If we don't have a star player then I agree that cap space is pretty much useless now-a-days. I think our FO might realize that as well after this disasterous offseason.

BKLYNpigeon
12-14-2011, 08:59 PM
the only way the Warriors get a Superstar is through the draft. this is now it will always be. Hopefully Curry can be that player and lets see what Klay can do.

SAS got Duncan
OKC got Durant
LAL got Griffin

those teams were nothing, until they got lucky in the draft.

COOLbeans
12-14-2011, 09:02 PM
Which is why the best thing to do right now is to trade one of our best assets(there's 2.can u guess who?) and stockpile 2012 and 2013 draft picks along with some veteran guard to play out the rest of the season. The upcoming drafts are thick with star quality guys and the way things are currently we'll be lucky to even have a pick.

If anyone wants a star player to be attracted to our franchise we first need to draft one. Curry and or Monta both need to also tale the next step forward. Depending on the one who's not traded for 1st rounders.

BKLYNpigeon
12-14-2011, 09:25 PM
The Warriors biggest mistake was after the 2007 playoff run. the Warriors should have built on top of that. it was all downhill from there.

likemystylez
12-14-2011, 09:35 PM
Which is why the best thing to do right now is to trade one of our best assets(there's 2.can u guess who?) and stockpile 2012 and 2013 draft picks along with some veteran guard to play out the rest of the season. The upcoming drafts are thick with star quality guys and the way things are currently we'll be lucky to even have a pick.

If anyone wants a star player to be attracted to our franchise we first need to draft one. Curry and or Monta both need to also tale the next step forward. Depending on the one who's not traded for 1st rounders.

the only problem is... that plan sounds a lot like what cohan had the warriors doing for 16 years. Management has already promised the playoffs. Im not asking for a championship team... just a regular in the playoffs would make me happy. Im really not asking for THAT much am I?

MackShock
12-14-2011, 10:41 PM
the only way the Warriors get a Superstar is through the draft. this is now it will always be. Hopefully Curry can be that player and lets see what Klay can do.

SAS got Duncan
OKC got Durant
LAL got Griffin

those teams were nothing, until they got lucky in the draft.

Yeah mean LAC has Griffin.

We cant get a superstar through the draft because we dont suck enough.

With the team the way it is, we are a mid to late lottery team, which means we cant get anybody substantial. However, next years draft will be DEEP. So maybe well find somebody.