PDA

View Full Version : The Rundown on Free Agent Stars and Small Market Teams

MickeyMgl
12-14-2011, 06:48 PM
Carmelo Anthony: A guy from NY wanting to play in NY.

Chris Paul: A guy wanting to leave a bad situation in a damaged city on a team nobody even wants to buy, for a good situation and a chance to win.

Dwight Howard: A guy whose talents go wasted for seven years by incompetent ownership and incompetent coaching, and wants to go where he has a chance to win.

Lebron James: A guy who decided he couldn't lead a contender (league's best record two years in a row) to a championship, and decided to try and stack the deck somewhere else.

Kevin Durant: Team is improving every year and is a strong contender for a championship. Re-signs.

Tim Duncan: Team is winning championship. Re-signs.

Marc Gasol: Team is improving, and is at least a dark horse contender for a championship. Re-signs. (Substitute Rudy Gay if you don't think Gasol fits on this list.)

Notice a pattern?

Everything you hear from whiny small market owners (Gilbert, Jordan) is sour grapes, pure and simple. Lebron should have stayed, but his logic was an aberration. It doesn't fit with the rest. Guys like Durant and Duncan get praised as "class guys" for re-signing with their original teams. Class has absolutely nothing to do with it.

Market size has relatively little to do with it. Otherwise, players would be flocking to the Clippers. Even now, wanting to play with Blake Griffin is surely tempered by having to play for Donald Sterling. Miami is a small market, but they have Pat Riley, whom players have faith in.

BRICKCITYPIMP12
12-14-2011, 07:41 PM

Chris Paul: A guy wanting to leave a bad situation in a damaged city on a team nobody even wants to buy, for a good situation and a chance to win.

Dwight Howard: A guy whose talents go wasted for seven years by incompetent ownership and incompetent coaching, and wants to go where he has a chance to win.

Lebron James: A guy who decided he couldn't lead a contender (league's best record two years in a row) to a championship, and decided to try and stack the deck somewhere else.

Kevin Durant: Team is improving every year and is a strong contender for a championship. Re-signs.

Marc Gasol: Team is improving, and is at least a dark horse contender for a championship. Re-signs. (Substitute Rudy Gay if you don't think Gasol fits on this list.)

Notice a pattern?

Everything you hear from whiny small market owners (Gilbert, Jordan) is sour grapes, pure and simple. Lebron should have stayed, but his logic was an aberration. It doesn't fit with the rest. Guys like Durant and Duncan get praised as "class guys" for re-signing with their original teams. Class has absolutely nothing to do with it.

Market size has relatively little to do with it. Otherwise, players would be flocking to the Clippers. Even now, wanting to play with Blake Griffin is surely tempered by having to play for Donald Sterling. Miami is a small market, but they have Pat Riley, whom players have faith in.

uuummm...........................NNOO............i m not a heat fan AT ALL but even i know they aint a small market team.

Lloyd Christmas
12-14-2011, 07:54 PM
I did notice a pattern. You listed Duncan and Durant, 2 of the classiest players in the NBA. Both of them stayed with their team. Weird.

itsripcity32
12-14-2011, 08:10 PM

Notice a pattern?

everyone knows the clippers is inferior to the lakers.

as for the big market thing, look at my sig

IDB Josh M
12-14-2011, 08:44 PM
Small markets can remain competitive. Just look at San Antonio. Of course, David Stern claims that SAS is losing money.

MickeyMgl
12-15-2011, 04:08 AM
uuummm...........................NNOO............i m not a heat fan AT ALL but even i know they aint a small market team.

Ummmmm..... yyeeessss..... look it up. Miami IS a small market team.

Even you can read, right?

http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0763098.html

#44 city in the United States, out of 30 teams in the NBA.

MickeyMgl
12-15-2011, 04:09 AM
I did notice a pattern. You listed Duncan and Durant, 2 of the classiest players in the NBA. Both of them stayed with their team. Weird.

If you think they'd have re-signed if the Thunder/Spurs had bad management, I've got a bridge to sell ya. Then we'd see how many people are describing them as the "classiest".

MickeyMgl
12-15-2011, 04:11 AM
everyone knows the clippers is inferior to the lakers.

as for the big market thing, look at my sig

I agree with the message of your sig. Market size is being way overrated. It's the loser's excuse.

ink
12-15-2011, 04:17 AM
Notice a pattern?

Yes, the pattern is excuse-making for the Redeem Team members who have bailed on their teams since 2008.

thephoenixson28
12-15-2011, 04:27 AM
Now its about market size. You don't see Howard,Paul or even a Carmelo Anthony demand a trade tobthe Spurs, or the Bucks. Back then people just wanted to go to a better team. Now its trade me to L.A,New York,New Jersey. Its the Lebron James affect. If he stays in Cleveland or goes to New York instead of joining Dwade and Bosh, the NBA would be more balanced. Now everybody wants to build a Super team which is now messing up the NBA.

sunnydayin'zona
12-15-2011, 04:32 AM

but...they are...? miami isn't a big city/big television market by any stretch of the imagination...

LakersIn5
12-15-2011, 06:08 AM
lol at the hate for lebron

Lebron James: A guy who decided he couldn't lead a contender (league's best record two years in a row) to a championship, and decided to try and stack the deck somewhere else.]

if dwight wanted to leave its because of incompetent management but if lebron wants to leave it because he decided he couldnt lead a contender? WTF? dwight has been surrounded with a better supporting cast than lebron in cleveland. and lebron has carried the cavs more than dwight has carried the magic.

Lloyd Christmas
12-15-2011, 01:53 PM
If you think they'd have re-signed if the Thunder/Spurs had bad management, I've got a bridge to sell ya. Then we'd see how many people are describing them as the "classiest".

What has Durant won? Lebron and Dwight were on teams that went to the NBA finals.

Hawkeye15
12-15-2011, 01:56 PM

would they have had their teams sucked?

Hawkeye15
12-15-2011, 01:58 PM
lol at the hate for lebron

if dwight wanted to leave its because of incompetent management but if lebron wants to leave it because he decided he couldnt lead a contender? WTF? dwight has been surrounded with a better supporting cast than lebron in cleveland. and lebron has carried the cavs more than dwight has carried the magic.

you just went onto my, "Cool Laker Fans" list.

The Jokemaker
12-15-2011, 02:02 PM
This knock against the Magic is ridiculous. That team has made efforts to build around him. Dwight and fans are acting like they just sat and didn't do diddly to try and improve that team and become a championship contender. This is ridiculous.

And just for the record, I'm not a magic fan so Dwight staying or trading doesn't mean anything to me.

MickeyMgl
12-15-2011, 04:23 PM
Now its about market size. You don't see Howard,Paul or even a Carmelo Anthony demand a trade tobthe Spurs, or the Bucks. Back then people just wanted to go to a better team. Now its trade me to L.A,New York,New Jersey. Its the Lebron James affect. If he stays in Cleveland or goes to New York instead of joining Dwade and Bosh, the NBA would be more balanced. Now everybody wants to build a Super team which is now messing up the NBA.

Nobody is demanding to be traded to the Clippers. Nobody used to demand to be traded to the Knicks until they turned the corner and improved the team.

MickeyMgl
12-15-2011, 04:28 PM
What has Durant won? Lebron and Dwight were on teams that went to the NBA finals.

Durant hasn't won, but is on a rising contender. Dwight's team has taken a dive the past two seasons. Lebron, in my opinion, was on a team good enough to stay with.

MickeyMgl
12-15-2011, 04:32 PM
This knock against the Magic is ridiculous. That team has made efforts to build around him. Dwight and fans are acting like they just sat and didn't do diddly to try and improve that team and become a championship contender. This is ridiculous.

And just for the record, I'm not a magic fan so Dwight staying or trading doesn't mean anything to me.

Not that they didn't make efforts, but they've at best been running in place since they went to the Finals. Trading for Arenas was a desperation move that didn't work.

Slug3
12-15-2011, 04:39 PM
Durant hasn't won, but is on a rising contender. Dwight's team has taken a dive the past two seasons. Lebron, in my opinion, was on a team good enough to stay with.

Well who was good enough to help him? An old Shaq? May Jamison? Anyone else who would have really made this team get him that ring?

MickeyMgl
12-15-2011, 09:57 PM
Well who was good enough to help him? An old Shaq? May Jamison? Anyone else who would have really made this team get him that ring?

The same guys who helped the team get the best record in the league.

THE MTL
12-15-2011, 10:47 PM

Notice a pattern?

People continue to hop on Kevin Durant. When you forget that at Durant's age and years pro, Lebron was doing the EXACT same thing in Cleveland. They actually had the best record in the league and was FAVORITES for the championship.

In the end, I think Durant will remain loyal but lets see about this after 7 years in the league and your contending team is regressing.....

IndyRealist
12-15-2011, 10:53 PM
but...they are...? miami isn't a big city/big television market by any stretch of the imagination...

Miami doesn't cover most of Florida in it's TV market?

PacersForLife
12-16-2011, 12:09 AM
People continue to hop on Kevin Durant. When you forget that at Durant's age and years pro, Lebron was doing the EXACT same thing in Cleveland. They actually had the best record in the league and was FAVORITES for the championship.

In the end, I think Durant will remain loyal but lets see about this after 7 years in the league and your contending team is regressing.....

This is true to a point. The only thing different is Durant has young talent to grow with him and a few guys that could make the All-Star team besides him. In Cleveland they surrounded LeBron with guys that were good in their prime, but were past their prime. At the end of the day its Russel Westbrook and James Harden> Antawn Jamison and Mo Williams.

FLWolvesFan
12-16-2011, 12:21 AM
Ummmmm..... yyeeessss..... look it up. Miami IS a small market team.

Even you can read, right?

http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0763098.html

#44 city in the United States, out of 30 teams in the NBA.

Ummmmmm......you may want to do a little more research (and pull your head out of your *****.) Miami and it's surrounding metro are the 8th largest in the US.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Table_of_United_States_Metropolitan_Statistical_Ar eas

Corey
12-16-2011, 12:47 AM

Sort of, depending on how you classify market size.

If you're going by TV markets, Miami is in the bottom half of the league if I recall correctly.

Arch Stanton
12-16-2011, 01:01 AM
Yes, the pattern is excuse-making for the Redeem Team members who have bailed on their teams since 2008.

I was watching NBA TV earlier. It was a panel of Shaq, Steve Kerr, Reggie Miller, Charles Barkley, Kenny Smith, Chris Webber, and Steve Smith. They were talking about how players are friends with each other in today's game. And how when they played they hated each other. Not that they really hated each other, but the only time they talked was during the All-Star Break.

MickeyMgl
12-16-2011, 01:34 PM

But that's exactly my point. And why Lebron's decision was different. He left a contender.

MickeyMgl
12-16-2011, 01:45 PM
Ummmmmm......you may want to do a little more research (and pull your head out of your *****.) Miami and it's surrounding metro are the 8th largest in the US.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Table_of_United_States_Metropolitan_Statistical_Ar eas

Well, let's both get our heads out of our *****, since city size and metropolitan area size are beside the point.

http://www.tvjobs.com/cgi-bin/markets/market2.cgi
http://www.stationindex.com/tv/tv-markets

Miami-Ft. Lauderdale is #16 in media market size.
There's 30 teams in the NBA.
Miami is not a large media market.
Thank you, and good night.

king4day
12-16-2011, 02:37 PM
Duncan is in a league of his own.
Durant did what the rest of those superstars did. Signed his first big contract after his rookie deal ended.
That's not to say he'll leave when he's a free agent again, but he hasn't had a chance to follow in the rests footsteps.

Sactown
12-16-2011, 02:45 PM
I don't even have a problem with superstars "abandoning ship", the problem is they're killing their trade value.. Example Melo, he said he'd only sign with NY and if the lockout wasn't approaching there's a good chance Denver would have received nothing in return because let's face it, who's going to pay equal value for a superstar just to receive a one year rental? Chris Paul was a little nicer about the situation and said he'd be willing to go to 3 teams, but still? that's going to affect your trade value a little when A) The Knicks can't offer anything, and B) the Lakers had to find a 3rd team and still couldn't offer anything of equal value for him.. which left the Clippers which luckily were willing to deal E.G. the Problem isn't the leaving, but the demands these players are asking for.. My opinion is fine, if you want to leave then we'll trade you, but don't say you're going to only sign with 1 team to the media and kill your value...

raidersrock99
12-16-2011, 03:00 PM
chuck hayes to the kings small market? hes the best player in the league and he came to sactown

MickeyMgl
12-17-2011, 06:34 AM
I don't even have a problem with superstars "abandoning ship", the problem is they're killing their trade value.. Example Melo, he said he'd only sign with NY and if the lockout wasn't approaching there's a good chance Denver would have received nothing in return because let's face it, who's going to pay equal value for a superstar just to receive a one year rental? Chris Paul was a little nicer about the situation and said he'd be willing to go to 3 teams, but still? that's going to affect your trade value a little when A) The Knicks can't offer anything, and B) the Lakers had to find a 3rd team and still couldn't offer anything of equal value for him.. which left the Clippers which luckily were willing to deal E.G. the Problem isn't the leaving, but the demands these players are asking for.. My opinion is fine, if you want to leave then we'll trade you, but don't say you're going to only sign with 1 team to the media and kill your value...

:cheers:

USMCLaker
12-17-2011, 07:05 AM
:shrug:

ragee
12-17-2011, 07:10 AM

Notice a pattern?

You purposely left out Dirk to support your reasoning.

USMCLaker
12-17-2011, 07:13 AM

You gotta respect that kind of trickery.

USMCLaker
12-17-2011, 07:14 AM
It's late what the ell are we all doing up? :shrug:

LAOwnsAll15
12-17-2011, 07:38 AM
If your team doesnt have a shot at winning a championship, then you dont blame players for not wanting to play there.

There is no small market/large market teams, only contenders and pretenders. You can only pretend so long before you realize you are wasting your time!

I-4_Fan
12-17-2011, 08:24 AM

It's not just about who watches TV. It's about Model and paparazzi and customer Market. For example, Miami is a fashion frenzy in the summer with really LA being a bigger fashion city. With a close to 6 million people metro area there aren't that many cities passing it. In fact it has out grown Atlanta as the largest metro area in the south east. So it is an overall pretty good sized market.

Definitely bigger then Toronto and Cleveland. And unfortunately bigger then Orlando. But as far as sport market, they suck. They have the capability to be a bigger sports area but I don't see that happening.

I-4_Fan
12-17-2011, 08:29 AM

Dallas is a Bigger market. Again folks. It's not just the amount of people in a city. It is about the amount of attention people get for living in certain locations. The market also looks at who knows you for other then playing basket ball.

Lamar Odom- The Kardashians
Kobe Bryant- Media Frenzy
Carmelo Anthony- Married to LaLa and lives in a media attentioned city.

Just three examples but my wife who doesn't sports at all knows the names of players from the Lakers, Clippers, Knicks, Mavs, Heat and Bulls. From either fashion magazines, comercials, TMZ or other things that ESPN doesn't get involved with.

and that is where they look to make an uncapped amount of money.

abe_froman
12-17-2011, 08:37 AM

how isnt it? its the 5th largest agglomeration in north america(its more than just city proper but outlying urbanized areas like suburbs and towns surrounding/connected to the city)

Wade>You
12-17-2011, 08:39 AM
It's not just about who watches TV. It's about Model and paparazzi and customer Market. For example, Miami is a fashion frenzy in the summer with really LA being a bigger fashion city. With a close to 6 million people metro area there aren't that many cities passing it. In fact it has out grown Atlanta as the largest metro area in the south east. So it is an overall pretty good sized market. I dunno where you're pullin that 6 million from, but even when you include the cities surrounding Miami, it's not close to reaching 6mil (source (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_cities_by_population))

Another way to tell a big market apart from a small market is the fan base. Everywhere you go, you see Knicks, Lakers, Celtics, Bulls jerseys. You see MVP chants for Kobe and Derrick Rose. You see Bulls fans in every road game with their jerseys on supporting their team. You'll never see anything like that for the HEAT, just not a big fan base.

Also, if Miami was big market, why did it take the NBA until 1988 to get a franchise in the city? Knicks, Bulls, Lakers, Celtics have all been around since the very beginning of the NBA (source (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basketball_Association_of_America)).

There's only 5 big markets in American sports and you can find them on the top of any page on ESPN.com.

LakersIn5
12-17-2011, 09:02 AM
The same guys who helped the team get the best record in the league.

god please. lebron made those guys look good. yeah those players WITH lebron MAY have "helped" the cavs get the best record but those guys are terrible in the playoffs even with lebron on the team. as good as lebron is, that supporting cast wont be enough to get past the bulls, celtics, heat had lebron stayed.

DR_1
12-17-2011, 09:11 AM
Great post OP :clap:

DR_1
12-17-2011, 09:16 AM

:clap:

theheatles
12-17-2011, 09:49 AM
op is clueless

MickeyMgl
12-17-2011, 06:42 PM

No I didn't. Dallas is a big market team. And they've been contenders for most of this decade. Doesn't fit for several reasons.

MickeyMgl
12-17-2011, 06:43 PM
You gotta respect that kind of trickery.

No trickery. The list is of players from "SMALL market teams", as the title suggests.

MickeyMgl
12-17-2011, 06:47 PM
It's not just about who watches TV. It's about Model and paparazzi and customer Market. For example, Miami is a fashion frenzy in the summer with really LA being a bigger fashion city. With a close to 6 million people metro area there aren't that many cities passing it. In fact it has out grown Atlanta as the largest metro area in the south east. So it is an overall pretty good sized market.

Definitely bigger then Toronto and Cleveland. And unfortunately bigger then Orlando. But as far as sport market, they suck. They have the capability to be a bigger sports area but I don't see that happening.

OK, so you want to use your own definition for "big/small market", different than from what everybody in the NBA is talking about. I'm not sure that's going to work, except to confuse the issues further.

It's not a bigger market than Toronto, but not that the rest of what you've said is not to some extent true. However, Miami is just not a large NBA market.

MickeyMgl
12-17-2011, 06:53 PM
god please. lebron made those guys look good. yeah those players WITH lebron MAY have "helped" the cavs get the best record but those guys are terrible in the playoffs even with lebron on the team. as good as lebron is, that supporting cast wont be enough to get past the bulls, celtics, heat had lebron stayed.

Some of them played better than Lebron.

MickeyMgl
12-17-2011, 06:56 PM
op is clueless

Care to explain, or is that all you could come up with? Did you cramp up after thinking of this brilliant retort?

b_rad23
12-17-2011, 07:02 PM
Sort of, depending on how you classify market size.

If you're going by TV markets, Miami is in the bottom half of the league if I recall correctly.

False. Miami-Fort Lauderdale is in the top 11 TV markets. When you factor in Tampa-St. Petersburg (who is teamless- top 15 TV market) and West Palm Beach-Ft. Pierce FL (teamless- top 40 TV market), then you have a market larger than the vast majority of the NBA.

Tony_Starks
12-17-2011, 07:16 PM
Surround your superstar with talent, a respected coach, and put them in a position where they have a legit shot at a title and they will stay. Surround them with mediocre players, questionable coaches, and past their prime vets and they will bounce. Simple as that, all that market stuff is bs.

People conveniently forget that when the Lakers had such superstars as Smush, Kwame, and Devean George coached by the great Frank Hamblem NOBODY wanted to come to LA and Kobe wanted out. Throw Phil Jackson and Pau Gasol in the mix and Kobe wants to stay and Ron Artest can't wait to get there.

It's not rocket science man..........

sep11ie
12-17-2011, 07:28 PM
The NBA is a flawed system. The faster you all realize that, that faster you can move on.

Punk
12-17-2011, 07:36 PM

Notice a pattern?

Dude, don't even bother. This logic goes on deaf ears.

If Rubio turns out to be a star like he's cracked up to be and Derrick Williams turns out to be the guy everyone believes he can then you will see Kevin Love re-sign with his team due to a good core and future.

I've been saying all a long most of the teams losing stars have done a terrible job at building around them and making strides to be a serious contender.

Denver made no moves to turn into a serious contender. Cleveland made strides but they did not add the right guys or draft the right guys. Orlando thought they knew what they were doing and they failed, entered cap hell. Toronto thought adding Hedo instead of a center was a good idea.

They all are the reason why their stars left for teams wit a brighter future, better Front Office and a better shot at winning but hey, It's the NBAs fault!