PDA

View Full Version : NBA = Laughing Stock

mike_noodles
12-14-2011, 08:34 AM
First they have a 150 day lockout, which did get resolved, but did not address any of the core problems of the NBA itself. The players are too stupid to realize that the best way to grow the league's revenue (and therefore their own salaries) is to disperse the top talent as equally as possible between the 30 teams, so that all fans have an interest, all fans buy merchandise, attend games, etc. But they would rather just wall up in their favorite 5-6 cities and screw the rest of the teams. In the long run this severely hurts the league.

2nd they veto a trade made by the franchise it's running. Now originally I agreed with this, but the trade should have never even have been consummated if the league wasn't getting back fair value.

3rd, one of the guys thought to be a good guy and a good leader, shows his true colors and threatens retirement if he's forced to follow the rules that HE SIGNED OFF ON.

Now, they have cut the legs completely out of the franchise that it is running. And I'd be the first to agree that it's their right to run it however they see fit, but if you're not gonna let the GM participate in the trade negotiations of one the biggest stars in the league, why not change the GM completely.

I used to think that the NHL was clearly the worst run league in North America, but not it has become blatantly clear that the NBA is far and away the worst run league.

Better-Than-You
12-14-2011, 08:35 AM
Captain obvious strikes again

PhillyFaninLA
12-14-2011, 08:38 AM
3rd, one of the guys thought to be a good guy and a good leader, shows his true colors and threatens retirement if he's forced to follow the rules that HE SIGNED OFF ON.

First it is within the rules for him to retire like that. May not be right but saying he threatens to follow the retirement rules if he is forced to follow the rules does not make sense.

Also he threaten to retire if he went to a team he did not want to go to. Show me the direct quote of him saying the Clippers where one of the teams he would not go to from the past week so its relevant.

He followed the rules, and said hey at 35 I'd rather retire then play somewhere I don't believe in or don't want to live.

nycclipse110
12-14-2011, 08:54 AM
...why wouldn't he retire instead of being forced to work somewhere he doesn't want to?

spreadeagle
12-14-2011, 08:58 AM
#nbhnc

tcav701
12-14-2011, 09:15 AM
He wasnt forced to work anywhere.

He could have accepted a buyout at anytime or just walked away from his deal thus making him a free agent.

mike_noodles
12-14-2011, 09:17 AM
Yes, poor baby, working somewhere he doesn't want to and making $14.2m per season do so. His life must be so difficult.

RLundi
12-14-2011, 09:18 AM
:shrug:

Heatcheck
12-14-2011, 09:28 AM
First they have a 150 day lockout, which did get resolved, but did not address any of the core problems of the NBA itself. The players are too stupid to realize that the best way to grow the league's revenue (and therefore their own salaries) is to disperse the top talent as equally as possible between the 30 teams, so that all fans have an interest, all fans buy merchandise, attend games, etc. But they would rather just wall up in their favorite 5-6 cities and screw the rest of the teams. In the long run this severely hurts the league.

2nd they veto a trade made by the franchise it's running. Now originally I agreed with this, but the trade should have never even have been consummated if the league wasn't getting back fair value.

Now, they have cut the legs completely out of the franchise that it is running. And I'd be the first to agree that it's their right to run it however they see fit, but if you're not gonna let the GM participate in the trade negotiations of one the biggest stars in the league, why not change the GM completely.

I used to think that the NHL was clearly the worst run league in North America, but not it has become blatantly clear that the NBA is far and away the worst run league.

Another NBA is a joke thread, LET IT GO! your mad, justifiably or not, we get it. Just stop watching

PhillyFaninLA
12-14-2011, 09:31 AM
Another NBA is a joke thread, LET IT GO! your mad, justifiably or not, we get it. Just stop watching

He has the same right to make this thread as you do to mock him for it.

LET IT GO! you mad, justifiably or not, we get it. Just don't open the thread

_Supreme_
12-14-2011, 09:31 AM

You can also put it this way:

The players' union signed off/compromised on a certain package of rules.

That doesn't mean every individual player agrees with every individual rule included in that package, and in the case they don't like something they have little other choice than to cope with what is forced upon them, which in turn doesn't mean they can't let their opinion be known and manipulate the way things go within those rules as much as possible in their favour.

Did you (people in general) sign off on every rule your government makes? It is almost exactly the same thing. The options you have are to either deal with things or move to another country (retire).

Heatcheck
12-14-2011, 09:41 AM
He has the same right to make this thread as you do to mock him for it.

LET IT GO! you mad, justifiably or not, we get it. Just don't open the thread

So then we're both doing the right thing. whats the point of your post?

Athanks for the insight, i guess.

tcav701
12-14-2011, 09:43 AM
Anyone who feels bad for any of these players is a moron or has never worked a day in their life.

mike_noodles
12-14-2011, 10:08 AM

I would stop watching, but I love the game too much. Hate the NBA, but love the game if that makes any sense. And because I love the game, I have to watch the best in the world play it.

Heatcheck
12-14-2011, 10:11 AM
I would stop watching, but I love the game too much. Hate the NBA, but love the game if that makes any sense. And because I love the game, I have to watch the best in the world play it.

I can respect that.

Wade>You
12-14-2011, 10:19 AM
1) Nothing wrong with the NBA, just sore losers that don't know how to build a team. NBA is fine and continues to grow in popularity thanks to what you perceive as a "problem." No one would watch the NBA if it were like (blech) HOCKEY.

2) Agreed and a league should never be allowed to own a team in the first place.

3) Nothing wrong with retiring at the age of 35, unless you think it's ok to collect 14 million while sitting on a bench.

3XDouble
12-14-2011, 10:34 AM
He wasnt forced to work anywhere.

He could have accepted a buyout at anytime or just walked away from his deal thus making him a free agent.

Dead on! I am sick of these guys. Take the buyout and go wherever you want, no problem. I can appreciate the desire to play with a contender but do it on your dime. This rule is a pretty sweet deal for players that are getting paid waaaay more than they are worth. The rule should have been structured to allow teams to nullify any contract with a 10% buyout and the player becomes a free agent where they would get paid all of what they are worth and then some and have the ability to go wherever they elect.

I hate to say it but the owners should of let this season go and got the system changes necessary to sustain this leauge in both competitive and financial terms.

thekmp211
12-14-2011, 10:35 AM
1) Nothing wrong with the NBA, just sore losers that don't know how to build a team. NBA is fine and continues to grow in popularity thanks to what you perceive as a "problem." No one would watch the NBA if it were like (blech) HOCKEY.

2) Agreed and a league should never be allowed to own a team in the first place.

3) Nothing wrong with retiring at the age of 35, unless you think it's ok to collect 14 million while sitting on a bench.

nicely said. this situation was a disaster on top of the lockout, but the long-term prospects for the league are great. both in terms of popularity and competition.

WadeKobe
12-14-2011, 10:36 AM

This is so not true, lol. "Talent spread out evenly" would kill basketball in LA and Boston, effectively destroying the NBA's top markets. The NBA doesn't need small markets. It needs large markets. It's not the NFL. It's not the NHL. You cannot compare it. It works differently.

ILMindState
12-14-2011, 10:51 AM

:clap: couldn't agree with you more

driz
12-14-2011, 10:55 AM
That's right...the house that Jordan built has been turned into a crack den by good ol' Lebron James. He hijacked the league, and now everyone else is just following suit.

The owners had a chance to put an end to this crap...and they folded.

The entire league is a joke. A couple more years and half of the NBA schedule is going to look more like a Globetrotters v. Generals game.

Heatcheck
12-14-2011, 12:10 PM
That's right...the house that Jordan built has been turned into a crack den by good ol' Lebron James. He hijacked the league, and now everyone else is just following suit.

The entire league is a joke. A couple more years and half of the NBA schedule is going to look more like a Globetrotters v. Generals game.

He hijacked it, or was everyone was all over his nuts a year before he was even a free agent, including the people on this site who couldn't stop making threads about him?

I don't recall him imploring teams to clear cap space for him. or ask to have his name get chanted at the Garden while he was dropping 50 on the knicks, nor did he ask chicago to put up a billboard asking him to come play for them. and on and on.

He115ing
12-14-2011, 12:27 PM
When the lockout was still in effect, I was pissed. But now that Im going to see some basketball, I couldn't care less how the NBA is run

Muttman73
12-14-2011, 12:43 PM
Freaking drama in the NBA, every day, almost every deal is like a soap opera.

1-800-STFU
12-14-2011, 12:43 PM

Yep.

Completely ignoring the NBA outside of the Bulls. If the Bulls weren't competitive I probably wouldn't watch. It's just going to be the same couple teams competing for the next few years.

Dolfan305
12-14-2011, 12:49 PM
You can continue to cal the NBA a laughing stock but the popularity is still high. Ticket sales have been going though the roof and they will still have monster ratings

Sly Guy
12-14-2011, 12:59 PM
I'm boycotting this season. NCAA is where it's at. I'll post here just to keep up with it, but I won't watch a game. The NBA doesn't make money off my posts on this site at least.

WadeKobe
12-14-2011, 01:14 PM

I'm tired of this. It's a complete fabrication. You do realize during the "good old days" when there was so much more "competitive balance" that for 9 straight seasons (79-87) there were a total of 3 teams that one championships? 2 of them won 8 of those 9 championships.

Or 1990-1997, when for an 8-year period only 2 teams won NBA Championships.

Or, I dunno, the fact that from 1979-1997, a 19-year period, only 6 teams won NBA Championships. 3 teams won 14 of those.

I could keep going, but you're right. The owners had the league they wanted, that everyone loved so much, and the fans wish we could go back to it, but LeBron changed everything by going to a small-market team which had only won 1 title in its 22-year existence. 22 years in which 4 teams had combined to win 18 of those championships.

But you're right, he ruined what the league had going for it.

If people would grow up, grow a pair, stop crying, and do some research before opening their damn mouth, this situation wouldn't be so ridiculous. The NBA has always been this way, and it is what has made the NBA successful as a brand.

WadeKobe
12-14-2011, 01:27 PM
Yep.

Completely ignoring the NBA outside of the Bulls. If the Bulls weren't competitive I probably wouldn't watch. It's just going to be the same couple teams competing for the next few years.

Like from 1980-1985 where, for 6 years straight, the same 3 teams occupied the 1-3 seeds in the Eastern Conference, every single year? Where 2 teams occupied the 1-3 seeds for 9 straight years? Where the first year that the 8-team playoff system was adopted 4 of the 16 teams were under .500?

Do people really believe anything has ever been any different? The facts are:

(1) There has never been competitive balance, there has always been only a few teams competing
(2) The league's ratings are always highest and its income is always highest when the biggest markets are successful.

We can keep ignoring this all we want. We can keep talking like competitive balance would be a good thing. We can keep talking like small market teams gaining value and popularity and competitive balance won't kill the big market popularity. We can act like this will be good, and not kill the NBA.

The fact is, it's wrong.

Boston + LA + NY + Chicago + Miami = 52 Million viewers

Cleveland + North Carolina + Louisianna + Sacramento + Wisconsin + Orlando + Memphis + San Francisco + Indianapolis = 34.5 Million viewers

You don't think that's significant economically? You're dreaming.

Iodine
12-14-2011, 01:32 PM
TL;DR another lulz nba blows so I'm going to post on an NBA forum

Iodine
12-14-2011, 01:36 PM

Oh Jesus, after ******** like this you don't deserve an ODB avatar

ink
12-14-2011, 01:47 PM
I hate to say it but the owners should of let this season go and got the system changes necessary to sustain this leauge in both competitive and financial terms.

I agree. We're seeing how ****ed the league is right now. It's been completely hijacked by idiots demanding trades and refusing to play. There's no way they were ready to come back. Too many incredibly big issues remain unresolved, and I'd much rather have no NBA at all for a year so they have time to resolve their problems. The league is completely dysfunctional. I turn on the radio as I drive to work and just about the only story I hear is based on laughter at the ****ed up NBA. Same stories over and over.

WadeKobe
12-14-2011, 01:55 PM
I agree. We're seeing how ****ed the league is right now. It's been completely hijacked by idiots demanding trades and refusing to play. There's no way they were ready to come back. Too many incredibly big issues remain unresolved, and I'd much rather have no NBA at all for a year so they have time to resolve their problems. The league is completely dysfunctional. I turn on the radio as I drive to work and just about the only story I hear is based on laughter at the ****ed up NBA. Same stories over and over.

What would you like them to fix? Go to a time where the players had no control over their own destinies? Where they were pawns in a game run by old men in suits?

What do you want to be different? Different from when? Do you actually believe things are different or worse than when 4 teams were winning 20 championships over a different 20-year span?

Why is it suddenly now a bad thing that some teams have all the major talent and are the only teams competing every year. Why was this not bad in the 70s? 80s? 90s? Early 2000s?

Somehow, for some reason, all of this suddenly became a problem when players finally said "I'm going to go play where I want, and money isn't going to change that."

While I'm not a fan of what CP3 is doing, what is he doing wrong? He is telling his team he will not resign with them (fine), and that he would like traded (not fine). However, simply the fact that he won't resign means NO will want to trade him (fine), or they can not trade him if they want (fine). Chris Paul also has said who he would and would not resign/sign extension with (fine) and those teams with whom he would not have not shown interest (fine).

The only thing that seems to be a problem is his attitude, nothing else.

The only thing that can fix any of this and still be good for the NBA would be a franchise tag. But what does that do? Ensure that CP3 will be playing in New Orleans next year but not the year after? One more year?

I genuinely don't understand what fans think is so different today, other than the fact that people are not letting money determine where they choose to play in Free Agency. What else do you see going on? I'm genuinely 100% baffled right now.

gaughan333

A heat fan saying someone doesn't know how to build a team...wow

ghettosean
I'm tired of this. It's a complete fabrication. You do realize during the "good old days" when there was so much more "competitive balance" that for 9 straight seasons (79-87) there were a total of 3 teams that one championships? 2 of them won 8 of those 9 championships.

Or 1990-1997, when for an 8-year period only 2 teams won NBA Championships.

Or, I dunno, the fact that from 1979-1997, a 19-year period, only 6 teams won NBA Championships. 3 teams won 14 of those.

I could keep going, but you're right. The owners had the league they wanted, that everyone loved so much, and the fans wish we could go back to it, but LeBron changed everything by going to a small-market team which had only won 1 title in its 22-year existence. 22 years in which 4 teams had combined to win 18 of those championships.

But you're right, he ruined what the league had going for it.

If people would grow up, grow a pair, stop crying, and do some research before opening their damn mouth, this situation wouldn't be so ridiculous. The NBA has always been this way, and it is what has made the NBA successful as a brand.
Ummmmmmmmmm I'm going to have to say that they are correct and Lebron and others are ruining the league.

first off for your #1 and #2 points I don't see any evidence of this but I'll give you some evidence of competative balance since you don't seem to remember...

Lets start from the year 2000 shall we:

2000 NBA finals: Lakers vs Pacers
2001 NBA finals: Lakers vs Philly
2002 NBA finals: Lakers vs Nets
2003 NBA finals: San Antonio vs Nets
2004 NBA finals: Pistons vs Lakers
2005 NBA finals: San Antonio vs Pistons
2006 NBA finals: Dallas vs Heat

Now just check out the list and before you start whining and complaining about L.A beinging on there a few times over the past six years they did sign 2 of the top 3 talents in the league on one team they actually drafted Kobe and Shaq left Orlando and signed with the Lakers also when they lost Shaq they aquired a player though trades in Pau Gasol... Philly drafted Iverson, Spurs drafted Duncan, the Heat Wade, Cavs Lebron, Toronto Bosh... etc... but this is the 1st time in NBA history that we are seeing top talent coward and sign behind 2 other all star players turning then into a monster team. Lebron is argueable the best player in the NBA and Wade would be next and Bosh is a top 3 power forward... There has never been a bunch of players who are the top in the game and top of there prime and decide to join together to form a super team. This is the 1st time ever which is why it made headlines and angered so many so don't fool yourself in saying that there has never been competative balance. There has always been superstar balance in the league until now...

in my examples of 6 years in the early 2000's:

Iverson on philly
Kobe on L.A
Reggie Miller in Indiana
Malone and stockton in Utah
Dirk in Dallas
Kidd in New Jersey
Vince Carter in Toronto
Tracy Mcgrady in Orlando
...etc...etc...etc

The superstars have been spread out over the league for a long time now so you're not fooling anyone by saying what you are saying with no evidence and just words. Now that Lebron was a coward and couldn't win a championship on his own and wants to ride Wade out to the finish line everyone in the league is doing this now. All the superstars want to team up to compete with Lebron, Wade and Bosh which screws over the rest of the teams in the NBA. Before the superstars were spreadout but no a days you won't see anyone from Toronto, Philly, Indy, Clevland... etc going to the all star game it will be the heats big 3 then New Yorks big 2 then Maybe L.A's big 3??? Or N.J big 2...

Either way this started by Lebron and the heat the evidence is there if you want to open your eyes and see it but hey ignorance is bliss right. Lebron did nothing wrong everyone hates him for nothing and waaaaaaa waaaaaaaa waaaaaaaaaa. I don't remember when Jordan, Bird and Magic teamed up together in there primes to support your case or any other superstar trio who left there teams in there PRIME to join forces to form a superteam. If you can mention one please do so cause I can't think of any.

Suck it up and open your eyes cause your boyz ruined the league and that is why so many teams are struggling right now.

Maybe the Laker deal should have went through then we can sit down every year and watch L.A beat the heat in the finals year after year... That would have been great for the other 28 teams in the league right????

ink
12-14-2011, 02:00 PM
What would you like them to fix?

The CBA. Install a hard cap like other functional leagues have. Notice I said "functional", not MLB which has about 26 feeder teams and 4 that outspend the rest. Level the playing field so the sport becomes about the sport, not about the personalities.

ink
12-14-2011, 02:01 PM
I don't remember when Jordan, Bird and Magic teamed up together in there primes to support your case or any other superstar trio who left there teams in there PRIME to join forces to form a superteam. If you can mention one please do so cause I can't think of any.

Suck it up and open your eyes cause your boyz ruined the league and that is why so many teams are struggling right now.

Maybe the Laker deal should have went through then we can sit down every year and watch L.A beat the heat in the finals year after year... That would have been great for the other 28 teams in the league right????

Pretty much sums it up.

Iodine
12-14-2011, 02:04 PM
You realize those 80's lakers and cletics teams were the same thing right?

The C's brought in DJ, Walton, And Parish through trades or FA.

Lakers with McAdoo, that Kareem guy, Worthy AND Magic through trade/FA

So um...... How is this perfectly fine but since we have twitter and ESPN we hate it now?

WadeKobe
12-14-2011, 02:05 PM
Ummmmmmmmmm I'm going to have to say that they are correct and Lebron and others are ruining the league.

first off for your #1 and #2 points I don't see any evidence of this but I'll give you some evidence of competative balance since you don't seem to remember...

Now just check out the list and before you start whining and complaining about L.A beinging on there a few times over the past six years they did sign 2 of the top 3 talents in the league on one team they actually drafted Kobe and Shaq left Orlando and signed with the Lakers also when they lost Shaq they aquired a player though trades in Pau Gasol... Philly drafted Iverson, Spurs drafted Duncan and the Heat Wade but this is the 1st time in NBA history that we are seeing top talent coward and sign behind 2 other all star players turning then into a monster team. Lebron is argueable the best player in the NBA and Wade would be next and Bosh is a top 3 power forward... There has never been a bunch of players who are the top in the game and top of there prime and decide to join together to form a super team. This is the 1st time ever which is why it made headlines and angered so many so don't fool yourself in saying that there has never been competative balance. There has always been superstar balance in the league until now...

Iverson on philly
Kobe on L.A
Reggie Miller in Indiana
Dirk in Dallas
Kidd in New Jersey
Vince Carter in Toronto
Tracy Mcgrady in Orlando
...etc...etc...etc

The superstars have been spread out over the league for a long time now so you're not fooling anyone by saying what you are saying with no evidence and just words. Now that Lebron was a coward and couldn't win a championship on his own and wants to ride Wade out to the finish line everyone in the league is doing this now. All the superstars want to team up to compete with Lebron, Wade and Bosh which screws over the rest of the teams in the NBA. Before the superstars were spreadout but no a days you won't see anyone from Toronto, Philly, Indy, Clevland... etc going to the all star game it will be the heats big 3 then New Yorks big 2 then Maybe L.A's big 3??? Or N.J big 2...

Either way this started by Lebron and the heat the evidence is there if you want to open your eyes and see it but hey ignorance is bliss right. Lebron did nothing wrong everyone hates him for nothing and waaaaaaa waaaaaaaa waaaaaaaaaa. I don't remember when Jordan, Bird and Magic teamed up together in there primes to support your case or any other superstar trio who left there teams in there PRIME to join forces to form a superteam. If you can mention one please do so cause I can't think of any.

You're right... Jordan already had Pippen and a fully stacked team, Magic already had Kareem and Worthy, and Bird was already on a stacked team.

You're also right, a lot of superstars were spread out across the league, losing to a few stacked teams year after year, after year. I didn't just use words. I use facts that every year only a few teams stood a chance, the same teams were always competitive, and the same teams always won championships.

You know what has changed? Back in the day superstars were "good". They accepted their fate. Malone stayed in Utah. Barkley stayed in Philly. Iverson stayed in Philly.

Guess how many rings those guys won? Zero.

Why? Because they kept losing the same teams, over and over and over again.

But, I mean, I guess it was better back then, when only a few teams stood a real chance, and only a few teams won championships over and over again. It was better that superstars accepted their fate, stayed on lesser teams, and lost.

It is so terrible that a few finally said "**** that. We're not going to sit and rot like the others did. We aren't going to accept our fate at the hands of powerful owners. We're going to do what needs to be done to win."

You're right, that ruined the league.

Except... you're wrong. The result will largely be the same. A few teams with a serious chance to win every year, a few teams winning all the championships over a 10-year stretch. What is everyone *****ing about?

You're clueless.

Iodine
12-14-2011, 02:06 PM
Well if we're going to use other sports as a model we should just use EPL rules

WadeKobe
12-14-2011, 02:07 PM
The CBA. Install a hard cap like other functional leagues have. Notice I said "functional", not MLB which has about 26 feeder teams and 4 that outspend the rest. Level the playing field so the sport becomes about the sport, not about the personalities.

:laugh2:

Iodine
12-14-2011, 02:07 PM
Woah Barkley did everything to get out of Philly

thekmp211
12-14-2011, 02:09 PM
You're right... Jordan already had Pippen and a fully stacked team, Magic already had Kareem and Worthy, and Bird was already on a stacked team.

You're also right, a lot of superstars were spread out across the league, losing to a few stacked teams year after year, after year. I didn't just use words. I use facts that every year only a few teams stood a chance, the same teams were always competitive, and the same teams always won championships.

You know what has changed? Back in the day superstars were "good". They accepted their fate. Malone stayed in Utah. Barkley stayed in Philly. Iverson stayed in Philly.

But, I mean, I guess it was better back then, when only a few teams stood a real chance, and only a few teams won championships over and over again. It was better that superstars accepted their fate, stayed on lesser teams, and lost.

It is so terrible that a few finally said "**** that. We're not going to sit and rot like the others did. We aren't going to accept our fate at the hands of powerful owners. We're going to do what needs to be done to win."

Except... you're wrong. The result will largely be the same. A few teams with a serious chance to win every year, a few teams winning all the championships over a 10-year stretch. What is everyone *****ing about?

You're clueless.

yeah, the good ol' early 2000's. lakers, kings, spurs, blazers, sixers, d-league. that ****ing sucked.

WadeKobe
12-14-2011, 02:14 PM
You realize those 80's lakers and cletics teams were the same thing right?

The C's brought in DJ, Walton, And Parish through trades or FA.

Lakers with McAdoo, that Kareem guy, Worthy AND Magic through trade/FA

So um...... How is this perfectly fine but since we have twitter and ESPN we hate it now?

People just don't understand the NBA, and are more content to cry about it than to actually realize the power dynamics that have been at work for a long time.

What is actually going on is easier to explain that "twitter", etc.

The Owner and GM represent the fan - at least we think so. That is, the GM can go out and make the necessary trades, FA signings, draft choices, etc that a fan thinks need to happen in order for the team to compete. If the GM has control, the fan feels like they have control.

There are rules in place - Money and smart management.

As the Joker says in Dark Knight - no one complains when things go according to plan, even if the plan is horrifying. Upset the established order, and everything becomes chaos.

Fans and owners feel like they lost control on June 8, 2010. Now they are doing what people do when they have lost control. They lash out in a desperate attempt to get control back.

WadeKobe
12-14-2011, 02:15 PM
Woah Barkley did everything to get out of Philly

That's part of my point. We create a reality that never existed.

Sixerlover
12-14-2011, 02:19 PM
Jeez, you guys are unbelievable.

WadeKobe
12-14-2011, 02:20 PM
Oh, another thing, there used to be a LOT more talent than there is now. There used to be real, serious stars that could surround the superstars, so they didn't have to go team up. Now the league is watered down, has introduced 8 new teams, has a lot less talent, and has the smaller talent pool spread out amongst more teams.

Therefore, superstars don't have the casts they used to have. Thus, it becomes necessary to team up with other superstars, since there isn't enough talent to do it the other way.

But, again, that would take understanding the NBA to know that dynamic.

Fred
12-14-2011, 02:21 PM
Freaking drama in the NBA, every day, almost every deal is like a soap opera.

and much like a soap opera, the NBA is irrelevant

Punk
12-14-2011, 02:24 PM
Not sure why this is such an in depth topic. There is nothing about the NBA that is a "laughing stock" Some fans don't seem to get the lockout I see.

The whole point was to get the players to give in to salary that will cover the losses of some of these franchises. The players went from 57 to 51. That more than covers their losses.

The whole "lets keep superteams away" was a side agenda that failed on the owners side. If you want to call anything a laughing stock, call it the hypocritical owners.

Proky in Jersey being a hardliner but he wants Dwight Howard and D-Will in Brooklyn? Hypocrite. Jordan wants competitive balance but he lets his only center sign with Golden State setting up their team for probably the worst record in basketball this season.

So, It is not the NBA's fault. The whole lockout was based off of losses and the players gladly gave into that. They wanted more player restriction and they failed at that even after the lockout, Dwight and Paul would have been gone to new teams anyhow. That wasn't changing.

It's not a laughing stock if these Superteams make more headlines than anyone in sports right now and it certainly isn't a joke if they are now falling into baseball (Miami Marlins, LA Angels). The league is better than it's ever been since last year and it only comes off as a joke to the fans of tams that are not a bigger market or do not understand the amount of revenue and sales would come out of a superstar in LA and Brooklyn alongside two historic franchises in the Lakers and Knicks who are very much relevant. Something never seen before in the NBA.

smith&wesson
12-14-2011, 02:32 PM

im mad confused too noodles.

ghettosean
12-14-2011, 02:34 PM

You're clueless.
Oh snap YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOU are so right...

I thought the bulls traded for Pippen or did he sign there during his prime? (clueless point #1 by Wade > Kobe)

Also did the bulls win it right away or did Jordan have to work for many years before he finally won a championship. Anyway aside from your senseless points lets get to it....

I could cut you up on the rest but like you said I'm clueless and you have all the facts (actually looks like you have nothing).

Listen up small fry if you want to cry about Bird having a stacked team and same with Magic and Jordan fine go for it they had a stacked team (I'm giving you this so be greatful even though your logic is flawed once again).

If you want to talk about stacked teams wasn't Lebron on the #1 seeded team in the league with the Cavs or am I just blowing smoke. The difference between the CHAMPIONS you mentioned and Lebron, Bosh and Wade is they are a bunch of cowards. Lebron was on a stacked team but had no heart or loyalty to his fans/franchise in the cavs instead he formed his super trio in Bosh, Wade (#1 star in the league) and well Lebron (#2 star in the league).

To reinterate this has never been done where 2 of the top 3 players in the league 1 of the top 3 in his position all join up and form a superteam through free agency face it buddy it's never happened what you wrote above was a bunch of fluff. So why not use evidence and logic in your arguements instead of crying about the 2000's cause I remember everyone loved watching L.A do there thing same and watching Kobe... etc.

I can't believe you would even say that players accepted there fate back then like it was slavery and they had to stay. Malone and Stockton made it to the finals more than once and not only them but Barkley and others had there opportunity to be cowards and hide behind others but they choose to be the leaders of there teams not cowar behind another top player or 2 in the league. You are right that Utah and others did lose to the same teams over and over again to teams like Jordan and the Bulls should they have joined him leaving the seats in Utah empty and ruining that franchise. Suck it up man and stop pouting and stomping around like a child when I'm laying it all out infront of you. Oh and the last point you make about the same bunch of teams competing for a championship over a 10 year strech is flawed too:

Looks all the same too me and that's just 6 years I won't go 10 years back cause then you'll really look clueless.

You confuse TV ratings with 25 other franchises who are not getting these ratings what you are trying to say is why don't we just make a league of 5 teams!!!

Please try and respond with some sort of logic or sense as this is not good for the league or NBA basketball.

Sadds The Gr8
12-14-2011, 02:36 PM
everyone knows this league is a joke now...

Chronz
12-14-2011, 02:52 PM
Yes, poor baby, working somewhere he doesn't want to and making $14.2m per season do so. His life must be so difficult.
Who said anything about difficult? More strawman arguments. He doesnt want to play in a ****** environment, guess what there isnt a system change you can make to fix this. This is how the NBA has always been

Chronz
12-14-2011, 02:57 PM
Hard cap would just kill the middle class not control players attitude

1-800-STFU
12-14-2011, 03:01 PM
Like from 1980-1985 where, for 6 years straight, the same 3 teams occupied the 1-3 seeds in the Eastern Conference, every single year? Where 2 teams occupied the 1-3 seeds for 9 straight years? Where the first year that the 8-team playoff system was adopted 4 of the 16 teams were under .500?

Do people really believe anything has ever been any different? The facts are:

(1) There has never been competitive balance, there has always been only a few teams competing
(2) The league's ratings are always highest and its income is always highest when the biggest markets are successful.

We can keep ignoring this all we want. We can keep talking like competitive balance would be a good thing. We can keep talking like small market teams gaining value and popularity and competitive balance won't kill the big market popularity. We can act like this will be good, and not kill the NBA.

The fact is, it's wrong.

Boston + LA + NY + Chicago + Miami = 52 Million viewers

Cleveland + North Carolina + Louisianna + Sacramento + Wisconsin + Orlando + Memphis + San Francisco + Indianapolis = 34.5 Million viewers

You don't think that's significant economically? You're dreaming.

I dont really disagree with any of this. Not sure why you wrote a novel in response to a personal opinion.

I know it's never been different, and it is what it is. When the Bulls aren't competitive I largely ignore the NBA(after Jordan era, till the Skiles era I completely shut down).

I'm not disputing anything you wrote because you're absolutely right. This is just a personal opinion of mine. When I have no emotional investment in a team I find sports in general very hard to watch.

Lancelot
12-14-2011, 03:04 PM
seems like a smart business decision for the NBA to keep Chris Paul in NO. That makes the franchise more valuable. I have no problem with it. I applaud them for the foresight, something Memphis lacked when it gave away Pau Gasol

Chronz
12-14-2011, 03:05 PM
[QUOTE]

Now just check out the list and before you start whining and complaining about L.A beinging on there a few times over the past six years they did sign 2 of the top 3 talents in the league on one team they actually drafted Kobe and Shaq left Orlando and signed with the Lakers also when they lost Shaq they aquired a player though trades in Pau Gasol... Philly drafted Iverson, Spurs drafted Duncan, the Heat Wade, Cavs Lebron, Toronto Bosh... etc... but this is the 1st time in NBA history that we are seeing top talent coward and sign behind 2 other all star players turning then into a monster team.
False, we have seen several stars ensure their path to a great situation. Be it signing outright, Sign and Trades, or forcing your way to a better draft situation.

Lebron is argueable the best player in the NBA and Wade would be next and Bosh is a top 3 power forward... There has never been a bunch of players who are the top in the game and top of there prime and decide to join together to form a super team. This is the 1st time ever which is why it made headlines and angered so many so don't fool yourself in saying that there has never been competative balance. There has always been superstar balance in the league until now...

Thats because you arent paying attention to all the **** teams in 90's, hell a Danny Manning led team could win 50 games in a weak era.

Iverson on philly
Demanded a trade to Denver

Kobe on L.A
Refused to work out for other teams and forced his way to LA

Reggie Miller in Indiana
Reggie stayed forever and refused to hop on Bostons title quest. Hes an odd person, he stayed in Indiana even though they burned down his house.

Well yea they had each other and were never into the limelight of big cities.

Dirk in Dallas
Always had talent around him

Kidd in New Jersey
Vince Carter in Toronto
Tracy Mcgrady in Orlando

All forced their way out, Tmac actually signed with Orlando to play with Grant Hill and possibly Duncan but that was probably a pipedream.

Sounds like a fun league with more powers than ever before.

Thats because you dont read, Magic wouldnt enter the draft unless he was assured LA was drafting him, Bird was always surrounded by talent so why would he leave? MJ was on an ascending team and once it became obvious the kind of player Pippen would become he made damn sure management never traded him, threatening retirement if they got rid of his sidekick. They also landed Dennis Rodman because he forced his way out of San Antonio.

Proof?

Who gives a **** about them when what matters is the NBA as a whole.

Chronz
12-14-2011, 03:05 PM
Pretty much sums it up.

Yup

Chronz
12-14-2011, 03:07 PM
and much like a soap opera, the NBA is irrelevant

Soaps are irrelevant? To who, certainly not its viewers.

ChiSoxJuan
12-14-2011, 03:11 PM
THe NBA is only a laughing stock right now because player's are settling for less $ to go where they want. That's why the system (CBA rules) are failing. It's ironic, but the league would be better off if player's were greedy for the best contract offers.

WadeKobe
12-14-2011, 03:11 PM
[QUOTE=ghettosean;20119928]
False, we have seen several stars ensure their path to a great situation. Be it signing outright, Sign and Trades, or forcing your way to a better draft situation.

Thats because you arent paying attention to all the **** teams in 90's, hell a Danny Manning led team could win 50 games in a weak era.

Dirk in Dallas

All forced their way out, Tmac actually signed with Orlando to play with Grant Hill and possibly Duncan but that was probably a pipedream.

Thats because you dont read, Magic wouldnt enter the draft unless he was assured LA was drafting him, Bird was always surrounded by talent so why would he leave? MJ was on an ascending team and once it became obvious the kind of player Pippen would become he made damn sure management never traded him, threatening retirement if they got rid of his sidekick. They also landed Dennis Rodman because he forced his way out of San Antonio.

Proof?

Thank you. I simply didn't have the time right now.

Iodine
12-14-2011, 03:16 PM
Chronz if they make the argument personal and then use hyperbole AND SSSSTTTTYUUUUUFFFFFF LLLLLIIIOOOIIIJREHEDGE THHIISS They cant lose arguements.

Chronz
12-14-2011, 03:24 PM
Yes we are bickering endlessly because neither side wants to present factual data, its a fun circle. If someone wants to take a crack at measuring parity and player movement I will give them 10 denari

Iodine
12-14-2011, 03:25 PM
What about cocaine?

Chronz
12-14-2011, 03:27 PM
THe NBA is only a laughing stock right now because player's are settling for less $ to go where they want. That's why the system (CBA rules) are failing. It's ironic, but the league would be better off if player's were greedy for the best contract offers.

Players have proven in the past that they are literally willing to take dirt for the chance to compete. They may not like it, in fact in Charles Barkleys case he feels cheated but he did it to play with Dream/Pippen. Mike Bibby (a role player) gave up millions just to play in Miami.

A hard cap would only limit the money they make or kill the middle class. In other words, it would make the owners richer but would do nothing to solve parity.

Chronz
12-14-2011, 03:31 PM
What about cocaine?
Dont you mean cewkane?

Anyways I gotta bounce, got a colonoscopy I need to take care of.

Iodine
12-14-2011, 03:33 PM
Well besides wilt and the big e lol

But yeah look at Willis Reed and friends, he cost himself do much to even have a chance to win a game seven

Iodine
12-14-2011, 03:34 PM
Good luck Chronz, those ain't fun. I do need to pm you something later lol

ghettosean
12-14-2011, 04:13 PM
[QUOTE=ghettosean;20119928]

Reggie stayed forever and refused to hop on Bostons title quest. Hes an odd person, he stayed in Indiana even though they burned down his house.

Well yea they had each other and were never into the limelight of big cities.

Always had talent around him

Proof?

Wow I'm at work and I don't really have the time for this pointless arguement you seemed hell bound on your opinion instead of stating facts... You mention that there are several players who forced there way to become a superteam which is ******** because none of the people you are mentioning are 2 of the top 3 players in the NBA like Lebron and Wade and also so what if players have talent around them the arguement I had was about superstars making superstar teams or Trio's Lebron, Wade, Bosh almost a week ago it could have been Kobe, CP3 and D12.

This type of crap has never been done all you mention is Kobe didn't work out for other teams (before he was drafted and in his prime... so the **** what!?!? That has nothing to do with super trios).

If you want to talk about PROOF as to how these trios are ruining the league why don't you look at the NBA books. They left it wide open to see that small market teams are losing money so don't tell me there is no proof bro give me a break.

And last you mention....

"Who give a **** about them all that matters is the NBA on a whole"

So if 2 teams go to the finals every year that makes it better for the NBA as a whole??? Who are you fooling man seriously... Malone and Stockton brought the money in Utah, Iverson in Philly, Reggie in Indiana, Vince in Toronto, Mcgrady in Orlando... etc... etc.

This is when superstars were spreadout... Why would I ever want to be a season ticket holder (which I currently am) if just 2 teams are good out of a league of 30 teams. I don't need season tickets for that I'll just by 2 tickets or so a year and save money for me and my franchise is the one that loses. You say fun but I say it's boring and bad marketing as no one will want to watch the other 28 teams in the NBA.

Look at the books the PROOF that you so crave is all there and was left open for all to see.

Iodine
12-14-2011, 05:09 PM
You realized last year financially for the NBA was about 77x better than 2-3 years ago or the middle of the decade right?

thekmp211
12-14-2011, 05:19 PM
[QUOTE=Chronz;20120752]
Wow I'm at work and I don't really have the time for this pointless arguement you seemed hell bound on your opinion instead of stating facts... You mention that there are several players who forced there way to become a superteam which is ******** because none of the people you are mentioning are 2 of the top 3 players in the NBA like Lebron and Wade and also so what if players have talent around them the arguement I had was about superstars making superstar teams or Trio's Lebron, Wade, Bosh almost a week ago it could have been Kobe, CP3 and D12.

This type of crap has never been done all you mention is Kobe didn't work out for other teams (before he was drafted and in his prime... so the **** what!?!? That has nothing to do with super trios).

If you want to talk about PROOF as to how these trios are ruining the league why don't you look at the NBA books. They left it wide open to see that small market teams are losing money so don't tell me there is no proof bro give me a break.

And last you mention....

So if 2 teams go to the finals every year that makes it better for the NBA as a whole??? Who are you fooling man seriously... Malone and Stockton brought the money in Utah, Iverson in Philly, Reggie in Indiana, Vince in Toronto, Mcgrady in Orlando... etc... etc.

This is when superstars were spreadout... Why would I ever want to be a season ticket holder (which I currently am) if just 2 teams are good out of a league of 30 teams. I don't need season tickets for that I'll just by 2 tickets or so a year and save money for me and my franchise is the one that loses. You say fun but I say it's boring and bad marketing as no one will want to watch the other 28 teams in the NBA.

Look at the books the PROOF that you so crave is all there and was left open for all to see.

you're just obsessed with lebron and wade. they lost last year. you speak as if they are embarking on a 5-peat.

last time i checked you can only have 2 teams in the finals at a time. the teams you mentioned had a crack, some got pretty damn close, and then they had to rebuild. again, can anyone tell me how this is different than other sports. why are teams entitled to constant competitiveness in basketball?

nysportsfan02
12-14-2011, 05:28 PM
There are only 4 LEGIT title contenders right now in the NBA.

Mavs
Heat
Thunder
Lakers

Celtics are only getting older and not going to get any better. Knicks are improving will be a top 4 team in the East but until they get a bench they are not title contenders.

Iodine
12-14-2011, 05:36 PM
you're just obsessed with lebron and wade. they lost last year. you speak as if they are embarking on a 5-peat.

last time i checked you can only have 2 teams in the finals at a time. the teams you mentioned had a crack, some got pretty damn close, and then they had to rebuild. again, can anyone tell me how this is different than other sports. why are teams entitled to constant competitiveness in basketball?
Because clearly there is in baseball (wait a minute), football (thank you based god for short seasons), college football (that was a joke), and college basketball (because people put way to much damn value in the tournament)

Wait a minute........ the only sport where there is consistency with that is football, which is aided by a 16 game schedule!

ghettosean
12-14-2011, 06:11 PM
[QUOTE=ghettosean;20121630]

Dude the fact that you think that the heat if Healthy and if the Lakers had CP3, Howard and Kobe wouldn't be facing each other in the finals year after year then your kidding yourself and don't know Jack about basketball.

P.S

I never said anything about a 5 peat or whatever else your talking about so please don't stick words in my mouth or imply I'm saying something when I'm not.

Cheers

ghettosean
12-14-2011, 06:15 PM
You realized last year financially for the NBA was about 77x better than 2-3 years ago or the middle of the decade right?
Yeah your probably right that's why the NBA owns the new orlean hornets and the players gave up so much in the BRI.

Now I get it!!!

If you can post some sort of link or proof that would be great so we can all see.

Iodine
12-14-2011, 06:31 PM
Yeah your probably right that's why the NBA owns the new orlean hornets and the players gave up so much in the BRI.

Now I get it!!!

If you can post some sort of link or proof that would be great so we can all see.
You realize the BRI split was being argued when the CBA first took place right?
It's not like everyone woke up and went "ZOMG"
I mean its not like this started right after the last one....
http://www.webcitation.org/62if4YMOX

Theres this
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/truehoop/miamiheat/news/story?id=6656975
http://www.hoopsvibe.com/features/articles/167131-nba-tv-ratings-nearing-best-ever
and this

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2011/04/18/Media/NBA-RSN-ratings.aspx
Overall, the local ratings story was a good one for the league. Fourteen of the 28 teams that SportsBusiness Journal obtained ratings on saw double-digit increases, including big market teams like the Los Angeles Clippers (up 130 percent on Prime Ticket), Chicago Bulls (up 91 percent on CSN Chicago) and New York Knicks (up 89 percent on MSG)

http://therallycap.wordpress.com/tag/nba-attendance/

k/thnx/bai

Chronz
12-14-2011, 10:24 PM
Wow I'm at work and I don't really have the time for this pointless arguement you seemed hell bound on your opinion instead of stating facts...
False, I stated nothing but facts. And of course you have time, you have your entire life to respond . This isnt a phone call where you have to respond instantly

You mention that there are several players who forced there way to become a superteam which is ******** because none of the people you are mentioning are 2 of the top 3 players in the NBA like Lebron and Wade and also so what if players have talent around them the arguement I had was about superstars making superstar teams or Trio's Lebron, Wade, Bosh almost a week ago it could have been Kobe, CP3 and D12.
Thats because they already had superteams or were leaving to form their own.

It has to do with players controlling their destiny and forcing their way there.

Thats proof of incompetent management, not Brons fault. He actually turned a moribund franchise into a power.

And last you mention....

So if 2 teams go to the finals every year that makes it better for the NBA as a whole??? Who are you fooling man seriously...
Your the only whos been fooled. If the big markets are compelling, thats the best thing for the league. If they arent, the league suffers.

Malone and Stockton brought the money in Utah, Iverson in Philly, Reggie in Indiana, Vince in Toronto, Mcgrady in Orlando... etc... etc.
What do you mean brought the money? Is that slang for something?
AI demanded a trade
Vince did
Tmac did it twice

This is when superstars were spreadout... Why would I ever want to be a season ticket holder (which I currently am) if just 2 teams are good out of a league of 30 teams.
Nobody cares about you, its about the fan base as a whole. The NBA was on the up and up so why would they care if 1 person thinks only 2 teams are good?

I don't need season tickets for that I'll just by 2 tickets or so a year and save money for me and my franchise is the one that loses. You say fun but I say it's boring and bad marketing as no one will want to watch the other 28 teams in the NBA.

Dont worry, your easily replaced.

Yup, go check them out. The NBA has been recovering nicely from the dark ages when MJ was gone. The days you reffered to as the good ol days was killing the league.

Chronz
12-14-2011, 10:26 PM

Now I get it!!!

Look at the #'s the increased revenue skyrocketed compared to the dark ages.

mike_noodles
12-14-2011, 11:06 PM
One thing you guys are doing is comparing the NBA now, to how it used to be. I don't care how it used to be, it was broken then, and it's still broken now. I never once said on my op that I wanted to go back to the good old days. What I want is for the NBA to follow in the shoes of the other major sports.

NHL - 12 different league champions in the past 20 years.
MLB - 12 different league champions in the past 20 years
NFL - 14 different league champions in the past 20 years.

NBA - 8 different champions.

This alone should tell you all you need to know about competitive balance, the NBA needs to wake up.

LOOTERX9
12-14-2011, 11:18 PM
MLB= STEROID LEAGUE. nuff said

Chronz
12-14-2011, 11:23 PM
One thing you guys are doing is comparing the NBA now, to how it used to be. I don't care how it used to be, it was broken then, and it's still broken now. I never once said on my op that I wanted to go back to the good old days. What I want is for the NBA to follow in the shoes of the other major sports.

NHL - 12 different league champions in the past 20 years.
MLB - 12 different league champions in the past 20 years
NFL - 14 different league champions in the past 20 years.

NBA - 8 different champions.

This alone should tell you all you need to know about competitive balance, the NBA needs to wake up.
Sounds perfect, its a sport where 1 individual has much more value to his team. Why wouldnt you expect more consistent results?

ghettosean
12-18-2011, 11:22 PM
You realize the BRI split was being argued when the CBA first took place right?
It's not like everyone woke up and went "ZOMG"
I mean its not like this started right after the last one....
http://www.webcitation.org/62if4YMOX

Theres this
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/truehoop/miamiheat/news/story?id=6656975
http://www.hoopsvibe.com/features/articles/167131-nba-tv-ratings-nearing-best-ever
and this

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2011/04/18/Media/NBA-RSN-ratings.aspx
Overall, the local ratings story was a good one for the league. Fourteen of the 28 teams that SportsBusiness Journal obtained ratings on saw double-digit increases, including big market teams like the Los Angeles Clippers (up 130 percent on Prime Ticket), Chicago Bulls (up 91 percent on CSN Chicago) and New York Knicks (up 89 percent on MSG)

http://therallycap.wordpress.com/tag/nba-attendance/

k/thnx/bai
The point is the gave up over 1 billion dollars to recover from loses and yes the price went up when the heat formed there trio and smaller markets could not compete.

A billion $$$ is not a small bit of chump change and I don't recall the players giving up this much money in any negotiation going back but whatever.

ghettosean
12-18-2011, 11:36 PM
False, I stated nothing but facts. And of course you have time, you have your entire life to respond . This isnt a phone call where you have to respond instantly

Thats because they already had superteams or were leaving to form their own.

It has to do with players controlling their destiny and forcing their way there.

Thats proof of incompetent management, not Brons fault. He actually turned a moribund franchise into a power.

Your the only whos been fooled. If the big markets are compelling, thats the best thing for the league. If they arent, the league suffers.

What do you mean brought the money? Is that slang for something?
AI demanded a trade
Vince did
Tmac did it twice

Nobody cares about you, its about the fan base as a whole. The NBA was on the up and up so why would they care if 1 person thinks only 2 teams are good?

Dont worry, your easily replaced.

Yup, go check them out. The NBA has been recovering nicely from the dark ages when MJ was gone. The days you reffered to as the good ol days was killing the league.
Just because I have my WHOLE LIFE to respond doesn't mean I'll respond right away (or that I have to because you said so I mean who the **** are you really to try and tell me what to do with my life... I'll do what I want with my life and decisions and if I want your help in making them I will let you know otherwise shut the **** up)... I was at work dude take a chill pill and stop being so insulting PSD is not life man I prefer the real world just like to make a comment now and then. You can spend your WHOLE LIFE responding to different people in PSD if you feel like.

I'm not going to respond to each of your individual comments because like I said in my last post you seemed to be hell bent on your opinion and keeping this hard stance that super teams are going to make the league better though we have teams that are going bankrupt and the NBA has to step in and take ownership like the New Orleans Hornets (fact).

I'll just respond to superstars bringing in the money to franchises... The heats trio seem to be bringing in a lot of money to Miami since they have 2 of the top 3 stars in the league on there team. The superstar players I mentioned were the money makers of the franchises mentioned they were the product to sell...

After T-Mac left Orlando how were there ratings and ticket sales, same goes for Toronto, Philly, Indiana and the other teams I mentioned before other stars got back on there team through the draft before that they have been abysmal (some still are).

You talk as if the league as a whole is better with superstar trios like the heat (which ownership is trying to stop because it's sucking other teams dry... Why do you think they are trying to put rules in place to stop this because you are right???). Get a clue seriously the league is trying to put a stop to this for a reason but then again you have all the facts and the #'s to prove your point... NOT!!!