PDA

View Full Version : Scottie Pippen Sues CBSsports.com, CNBC.com, Arizona State University and many more!

gotoHcarolina52
12-14-2011, 12:50 AM
@mccannsportslaw

Scottie Pippen sues various media for libel over reporting he was bankrupt.

Scottie Pippen claims he's been unfairly portrayed in the media as a walking financial disaster -- and now he's suing every media outlet that reported he went bankrupt ... claiming he hasn't been worth LESS than $40,000,000 in the last 10 years.

Pippen has filed a lawsuit against TONS of online media outlets -- including CBSsports.com, CNBC.com, Arizona State University and more -- claiming they all falsely reported the former Chicago Bulls star had gone belly up.

According to the docs, filed in federal court in Illinois and obtained by TMZ ... Pippen claims, "It is a most foul libel indeed to be falsely accused of being bankrupt."

The lawsuit continues, "Scottie never filed bankruptcy and indeed has a substantial net worth, which has not been less than approximately $40,000,000 in the last ten years."

Pippen claims CNBC.com included him in an article titled, "15 Athletes Gone Bankrupt" ... and CBSsports.com posted a photo of Pippen along with a story about NBA players and bankruptcy.

As for ASU -- Pippen claims he was tagged as a person who had gone bankrupt in a law blog operated by the University.

Pippen claims each media outlet that besmirched his good name should fork over at least $1 MILLION in damages.
http://www.tmz.com/2011/12/13/scottie-pippen-broke-arizona-state-cbs-lawsuit-nbc/#.Tugqs800vIN

NastyRud
12-14-2011, 12:53 AM
Get Ur money Scottie!!!

FlakeyFool
12-14-2011, 12:54 AM
you mad scottie?

Raps08-09 Champ
12-14-2011, 12:55 AM
He's suing because he might need the money.

For the most part, celebs usually bring stuff like this off.

THE MTL
12-14-2011, 12:57 AM
Only a broke person would sue!

gotoHcarolina52
12-14-2011, 12:58 AM
He's suing because he might need the money.

For the most part, celebs usually bring stuff like this off.

So, being that he is in need of money, he goes and sues people that reported that he was in need of money?

billsftw
12-14-2011, 01:02 AM
how the hell do athletes lose so much money?!
GET A ****ING EDUCATION!

Raps08-09 Champ
12-14-2011, 01:03 AM
So, being that he is in need of money, he goes and sues people that reported that he was in need of money?

Why not?

He might not be broke like what the article says but he's probably depleted in funds. So more than likely, he would be favoured since they would have technically made false claims about him.

Also more than likely, everything will be settled outside of court for an undisclosed amount. So Pippen gets to rake in a couple $$$.

Kyben36
12-14-2011, 01:05 AM
Scottie sues for money becuase he has no money, but claims he did have money to get over 1 million. if your not bankrupt, why do you need to sue these people.

Kyben36
12-14-2011, 01:06 AM
id have more love for Scottie, but he has been an ******* to bulls for a while. He talks alot even though he is on the bulls Payrole, and somehow comes out and says that somebody other than Michael J is the best player ever. he should have the curtousy to at least be loyal to his team and keep his damn mouth shut.

gotoHcarolina52
12-14-2011, 01:07 AM
Why not?

He might not be broke like what the article says but he's probably depleted in funds. So more than likely, he would be favoured since they would have technically made false claims about him.

Also more than likely, everything will be settled outside of court for an undisclosed amount. So Pippen gets to rake in a couple $$$.

Do you know how difficult it is for a public figure to win a libel claim? If he isn't bankrupt already, I say the legal fees he'll incur as a result of this charade will surely take him there.

Lakers4life08
Weel its allways a job waiting for him in Mcdonald

DerekRE_3
Scottie sues for money becuase he has no money, but claims he did have money to get over 1 million. if your not bankrupt, why do you need to sue these people.

Not saying your wrong, but rich people can sue people too. If I ever get rich I'm going to do my best to sue as many poor people as I can.

sjbirds
12-14-2011, 01:10 AM
i have no problem with him doing this... say he still has money and is trying different business avenues but nobody will join him because they believe he is bankrupt... so those articles could be costing him money

AKA TheMamba
12-14-2011, 01:12 AM
Not saying your wrong, but rich people can sue people too. If I ever get rich I'm going to do my best to sue as many poor people as I can.

If this was a facebook quote... You bet your bottom dollar you'll get a bunch of thumbs ups :)

Raps08-09 Champ
12-14-2011, 01:14 AM
Do you know how difficult it is for a public figure to win a libel claim? If he isn't bankrupt already, I say the legal fees he'll incur as a result of this charade will surely take him there.

They will not even have to go to court for these media outlets to give him money. More than likely, it's a bluff. These media outlets will not tackle a case if they had no actual proof he is. And even if they did, this gets ugly in court. So it will be settled outside of court early in this dilemma.

Kyben36
12-14-2011, 01:15 AM

I hope you never get rich ******* :p

bovice163
12-14-2011, 01:16 AM
Pip goin HAM

chicago lulz
12-14-2011, 01:16 AM
I would sue the media for defacing my name. Especially if allegations of him filing for bankrupt were false. Journalist should be doing their jobs correctly. Which means making sure all information is truth, and not making up stuff.

Bruno
12-14-2011, 01:18 AM
lol. brilliant.

Pierzynski4Prez
12-14-2011, 01:19 AM
Scottie has quite a reputation around Chicago as being a horrible tipper. Call him No-Tip Pip. So either he was just broke, or he's accumulated 40 million over the year due to cheap tips.

Either way, these articles may have prevented other parties from doing business with him, and if in fact his claims that he has never been worth below 40 mil are true and he can prove that other people/investors/etc have resisted doing business with him because of this, he has a case.

spreadeagle
12-14-2011, 01:19 AM
good for him..although I thought he was broke when I seen him on celb apprentice though doing some wack **** haha and I seen some oddball japan pickup games he was playin,seems like he may be a lil low on cash somehow

DodgerBulls
12-14-2011, 01:22 AM
Why not sue? If I tag everyone here as complete incompetent and part of the lowest population financially then make it as a report so news stations can pay me for it.. will you guys sue me? Or will you be a hypocrite so you won't look like a broke *** mofo? Also, make yourself a businessman with a lot of pending clients just to feel the heat a little.

Pierzynski4Prez
12-14-2011, 01:22 AM

I'm not bankrupt, but if someone falsely defamed my name and it cost me future business deals, I would sue.

spreadeagle
12-14-2011, 01:23 AM
Scottie has quite a reputation around Chicago as being a horrible tipper. Call him No-Tip Pip. So either he was just broke, or he's accumulated 40 million over the year due to cheap tips.

Either way, these articles may have prevented other parties from doing business with him, and if in fact his claims that he has never been worth below 40 mil are true and he can prove that other people/investors/etc have resisted doing business with him because of this, he has a case.

funniest thing I heard all day

sunnydayin'zona
12-14-2011, 01:24 AM

If he really is worth 40mil like he says, then I would say it probably really did cause him to lose a lot of money in damages as a result of the libel in that his name would be tarnished in his potential attempts at investment and business proprietorship. At a net worth that huge, name is everything. Someone saying he is bankrupt would be HUGE in the networks of people he is surrounded by

DodgerBulls
12-14-2011, 01:38 AM
If he really is worth 40mil like he says, then I would say it probably really did cause him to lose a lot of money in damages as a result of the libel in that his name would be tarnished in his potential attempts at investment and business proprietorship. At a net worth that huge, name is everything. Someone saying he is bankrupt would be HUGE in the networks of people he is surrounded by

Many here cannot see this. They just think of pride in general, not in business stand point.

spreadeagle
12-14-2011, 02:00 AM
When you type Scottie Pippen in google "Scottie Pippen is broke" is search #2 lol

hgtiger32
12-14-2011, 02:34 AM
he wont win a libel case lol

310Casper
12-14-2011, 02:37 AM
i have no problem with him doing this... say he still has money and is trying different business avenues but nobody will join him because they believe he is bankrupt... so those articles could be costing him money

Agree.

ChurcH
12-14-2011, 03:19 AM
Only a broke person would sue!

Rich people sue to stay rich.

theheatles
12-14-2011, 08:22 AM
pippen is cash broke...he has all his money tied up in golf courses, restaurants and other property's...he spends too much on the sticky icky too

TylerSL
12-14-2011, 08:42 AM
seriously? Suing because somebody made a false report about him? News flash Pippen, the media false report about EVERY star. This is what is wrong with America today. Also, I believe he probably is broke and so he needs the money. Seriously, why would NBA players spend all their money once they are retired? I would save most of it. I am 18 years old with a job and I save most of my money.

thekmp211
12-14-2011, 09:03 AM
pippen is cash broke...he has all his money tied up in golf courses, restaurants and other property's...he spends too much on the sticky icky too

not sure if any of this is true ... but it sure looks like a page ripped out of "blowing an nba fortune for dummies".

Cal827
12-14-2011, 09:03 AM

:laugh2:

Heatcheck
12-14-2011, 09:35 AM
Scottie sues for money because he has no money, but claims he did have money to get over 1 million. if your not bankrupt, why do you need to sue these people.

because if your trying to make business deals happen, and all people hear is that your broke, when your not, its very detrimental.