PDA

View Full Version : Caron Butler: Clippers were a no brainer

Clippersfan86
12-13-2011, 10:39 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Md70_PVFmwE

Love this guy more and more every day. Such a real dude. This squad reminds me of the 06 Clippers. Caron=Mobley... Billups=Sam Cassell. Our mental leaders... carried on the back of our superstar PF= Blake Griffin (Elton Brand). This team is way deeper and better though.

Kidd>>>K-Mart
12-13-2011, 10:44 PM
when he plays a whole season...

hugepatsfan
12-13-2011, 10:44 PM
Just imagine if the Clips hadn't made that stupid trade w/ the Cavs at last year's deadline. That's the only poor move I can think of recently that they've made. (And I said that at the time, so me criticizing that move isn't reactionary to them getting the 1 pick or now being able to just amnesty Baron.) The future of the Clips is glowing, especially if they get CP3. (In a trade would be great but if they get him as a FA... "speechless:.)

kylem4711
12-13-2011, 10:55 PM
Just imagine if the Clips hadn't made that stupid trade w/ the Cavs at last year's deadline. That's the only poor move I can think of recently that they've made. (And I said that at the time, so me criticizing that move isn't reactionary to them getting the 1 pick or now being able to just amnesty Baron.) The future of the Clips is glowing, especially if they get CP3. (In a trade would be great but if they get him as a FA... "speechless:.)

we needed to get rid of baron.

hugepatsfan
12-13-2011, 10:57 PM
we needed to get rid of baron.

A lottery pick isn't worth getting that money off the book a mere 1 year sooner. Buying out his contract for the entire sum would have been a smarter move.

Chronz
12-14-2011, 12:19 AM
Ive always liked Caron but Im not sold on him

A lottery pick isn't worth getting that money off the book a mere 1 year sooner. Buying out his contract for the entire sum would have been a smarter move.
Sure it is

hugepatsfan
12-14-2011, 12:24 AM
Sure it is

Why not just buyout the contract? It comes down to if you value Mo more than a lottery pick... I take the lottery pick.

don'tfireNedCo
12-14-2011, 12:48 AM
^hindsight bias at its finest.

Chronz
12-14-2011, 12:52 AM
Why not just buyout the contract? It comes down to if you value Mo more than a lottery pick... I take the lottery pick.
Because buyouts still count against the cap and we would prefer to have someone actually replace him. It comes down to whether you value Mo+Cap Space over a pick with low odds of winning in a wretched draft

Nets/Raiders!
12-14-2011, 12:57 AM
Butler's loyalty and injuries obviously remain in question IMO but for the most part it was a great addition. I've always said the Clippers are a point guard and a small forward away from ***** **** up in the Western Conference. It's about time The Clippers return to relevancy. I like it. Tired of seeing the same teams in the NBA competing every year.

DodgerBulls
12-14-2011, 01:14 AM

You beat me to it. I was going to say something about it too. He probably play facebook poker a lot. They have too much players who have this bias over and over and over again. He really thinks that the Clippers will get the 1st overall no matter what.

Il Mago50
12-14-2011, 01:16 AM
IF they get Paul w/o giving up Gordon, imagine the look of this team:

Jordan/Backup
Griffin/Thompkins
Butler/
Gordon/Mo Williams/Foye
Paul/Chancey

I can honestly see that team coming out of the West, with what we've seen cp3 do in the past with just chandler, west and old peja

Baller1
12-14-2011, 01:17 AM
Clippers have a chance at a top 5 seed in the West, in my opinion.

hugepatsfan
12-14-2011, 01:28 AM

I said it was a bad trade at the time. I don't like it, I didn't like it, and I never will like it. I guess I'll just have to agree to disagree w/ people on this one.

hugepatsfan
12-14-2011, 01:31 AM
You beat me to it. I was going to say something about it too. He probably play facebook poker a lot. They have too much players who have this bias over and over and over again. He really thinks that the Clippers will get the 1st overall no matter what.

I honestly don't understand what you are trying to say in this post.

hugepatsfan
12-14-2011, 01:36 AM
Because buyouts still count against the cap and we would prefer to have someone actually replace him. It comes down to whether you value Mo+Cap Space over a pick with low odds of winning in a wretched draft

Like I said in response to a previous poster, I just agree to disagree on this one. I didn't like the trade at the time though, so people can't accuse me of using hindsight.

The trade really didn't create much cap space. It created it one year sooner, but by the time the cap space kicks in, they'll have max contracts to Blake and Gordon making it so they are right up against the cap anyway. They won't be able to sign major FAs w/ that cap space, even though it comes a year earlier.

If the cap space came this year or next, I'd feel differently because then they'd still have those other guys making low enough money where they could spend it. But w/ that not being the case, I didn't like the move, whether the pick was 14 or 1.

That's just my opinion. I'm pretty sure w/ you being a Clippers fan you have already thought this out and have your reasons for supporting it. I think we're just going to have to settle this as a difference of opinion.

Chronz
12-14-2011, 01:48 AM
Like I said in response to a previous poster, I just agree to disagree on this one. I didn't like the trade at the time though, so people can't accuse me of using hindsight.
I never did

The trade really didn't create much cap space. It created it one year sooner, but by the time the cap space kicks in, they'll have max contracts to Blake and Gordon making it so they are right up against the cap anyway. They won't be able to sign major FAs w/ that cap space, even though it comes a year earlier.

We looked at the #'s and I think we will have a decent chunk of cap space on top of that it created cap space THIS YEAR by virtue of Mo being on a lower scale and Moon expiring, having Baron would have effected us even today. We wouldnt have been so far under the cap to be able to pull off everything we just did. Aside from not having a legit floor spacer, having Baron would have meant no Billups and possibly no Caron but Im not sure of the #'s.

If the cap space came this year or next, I'd feel differently because then they'd still have those other guys making low enough money where they could spend it. But w/ that not being the case, I didn't like the move, whether the pick was 14 or 1.

Thats extreme, it was worth it just to get the upgrade in terms of spacing.

THE GIPPER
12-14-2011, 01:50 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Md70_PVFmwE

Love this guy more and more every day. Such a real dude. This squad reminds me of the 06 Clippers. Caron=Mobley... Billups=Sam Cassell. Our mental leaders... carried on the back of our superstar PF= Blake Griffin (Elton Brand). This team is way deeper and better though.

Bro i remember that team they were legit