PDA

View Full Version : Could Brandon Roy ever return?

NetsPaint
12-13-2011, 08:54 PM
With Grant Hill returning and being a very good player after those terrible injuries, do you think he will? I don't know the extent of Roy's injuries (I know his knees were bone on bone, don't know if his injuries got worse since the Playoffs).

Iodine
12-13-2011, 09:58 PM
Wait, so since Grant Hill's injuries were completely different AND you don't know the extent of his injuries its safe to assume they follow the same career paths?

xxcubs22xx
12-13-2011, 09:59 PM
No.

GrandDaddyPurp
12-13-2011, 10:01 PM
Yes this is all part of his plan to come back and sign with a contender.

NetsPaint
12-13-2011, 10:01 PM
Wait, so since Grant Hill's injuries were completely different AND you don't know the extent of his injuries its safe to assume they follow the same career paths?
I'm not a doctor. Why not discuss this?

don'tfireNedCo
12-13-2011, 10:04 PM
well i am a doctor, and no it is not possible.
/thread.

UPRock
12-13-2011, 10:13 PM
I don't think so man, its painful :(.

McPeak92
12-13-2011, 10:15 PM
I'm sure if there was a chance he could return he would not have walked away from that contract.

unwantedplayer
12-13-2011, 10:19 PM
Degenerative knees really take a toll on ya man. I doubt it.

BALLER R
12-13-2011, 10:24 PM
I'm sure if there was a chance he could return he would not have walked away from that contract.

doesn't he still get his money??

Gram
12-13-2011, 10:31 PM
/thread.

Doctors type with proper grammar, capitals, etc. You ain't no docta.

NYYCowboys
12-13-2011, 10:35 PM
If figure out a procedure to completely regrow cartiledge with stem cells within the next 4-5 years maybe... :rolleyes:

NYYCowboys
12-13-2011, 10:35 PM

You'd be surprised....

McPeak92
12-13-2011, 10:37 PM
doesn't he still get his money??
no

aren't doctors notorious for just jotting things down with poor penmanship/grammar?

Iodine
12-13-2011, 10:44 PM
He gets it via insurance and it is payed much differently, but he still gets a decent enough chunk

albertc86
12-13-2011, 11:27 PM
no

aren't doctors notorious for just jotting things down with poor penmanship/grammar?

Yes.

Nets/Raiders!
12-13-2011, 11:34 PM
I wish but no, supposedly he had no cartilage in his knee, way different from the Grant Hill injuries. Try playing basketball when your bones are grinding each other with no cushion.

BradfordIsElite
12-14-2011, 12:39 AM
It's a big let down seeing his career end in this way, now, and so fast. Boy was he able to light it up on that floor, not too long ago. He was on his was to many all-stars, and possibly many playoff runs. Its a shame.. but it's the game and this is what happens. I wish him the best, maybe try some announcing or coaching..

DodgerBulls
12-14-2011, 12:44 AM

You'll be surprise with how many doctors I know who are bad on those areas. I've taken some pre-med related class and the instructors who are doctors are very bad with grammar, especially spelling. However, when they start talking about medical things, you will feel stupid.

If I were Roy though, i'll just put my NBA career as a player to rest forever. You made money and have kids. Focus on your family instead. Open up a business or go work as an analyst.

Sevilla91
12-14-2011, 12:50 AM

That...........is funny

Fresno
12-14-2011, 07:15 AM
I wish but no, supposedly he had no cartilage in his knee, way different from the Grant Hill injuries. Try playing basketball when your bones are grinding each other with no cushion.

Yes, he has a bone on bone condition in both knees due to arthritis. However plenty of NFL players playing right now have that same condition, and they're still playing because they can accept the consequences down the line. That consequence is knee replacement in the next 10-20 years after they retire.

In Roy's case, there is a chance he could keep playing if he had a meniscus transplant. The issue is that it has never been performed on a current athlete, only on former athletes. If I were him, I'd go for it and give it a shot to see if I can get back to my old self on the court.

His "knee condition" isnt as bad as people make it out to be.

For christ sakes, both Bobby Hurley & Jay Williams came back to make attempts at the NBA following even more catastrophic injuries.

Shaun Livingston tore every ligament in his knee and came back to keep playing.

Fresno
12-14-2011, 07:31 AM
People need to realize that the Portland doctors told Roy he should retire, Roy didnt make that decision on his own.

His knee condition hasn't changed 1 bit since he consulted doctors back in February on the status of his knees only to return towards the end of the season and put forth a memorable Game 5 vs Dallas. Keep in mind he spent all offseason working out playing pick-up ball with college/HS players in Seattle and reportedly was in great shape.

Fact of the matter is Portland wants Roy to retire with "dignity" and as a "Portland legend". What they dont want is to have to use the amnesty clause on him and be forced to pay him the remaining $50 Million he is due. The organization doesn't want a messy divorce like that with Roy, and it seems as if Roy doesn't want to ruin his goodwill with the Blazers organization either.

At the end of the season, Portland's doctors have to examine Roy's knee and determine his injury is "career ending" in order for them to get his contract taken off their books and payed out through insurance. However, if Roy were to ever resume his basketball career on any team the rest of his contract will go on their books.

Does this sound familiar?

Because in 2008, they did the same thing with Darius Miles.

Their doctors claimed Miles' knee injury was "career ending" because they simply did not want to play him let alone play him. The end result was Miles signing with Memphis and playing the 10 games he needed to play in order to force Portland to pay him the remaining $20 Million he was owed. Miles wasn't the same player in Memphis due to the knee injury, but he was able to still play in a NBA game which debunked their doctors claim about his knee injury. Portland even sent a memo out to teams not to sign him, which shows how far they were willing to go to keep him from ever suiting up again although Miles had 0 plans to retire.

I'll be damned if Brandon Roy couldn't play 10 more games on another NBA team.

Fresno
12-14-2011, 07:45 AM
If I were Roy though, i'll just put my NBA career as a player to rest forever. You made money and have kids. Focus on your family instead. Open up a business or go work as an analyst.

Why?

You spent your entire life working towards this because you play for the love of the game. Point Blank.

Things only went down hill for Roy after he tore his meniscus in the 09-10 season and rushed back further damaging it more. Brandon Roy & the Portland Trailblazers have known about his arthritic knees since they drafted him. Its not like this is something that happened over night.

He was averaging 21 PPG before he tore his meniscus in April of 2010.

Now suddenly its December of 2011, and his knee is "damaged beyond repair" and he has to hang it up. I dont buy that at all. This is a move by Portland to save face because they realized Wes Matthews is better than him for their lineup.

Just to put thing in perspective for Roy, he started off the 2010-2011 season still not recovered from his meniscus injury and he averaged 20.7 PPG over the first 2 months of the NBA season.

What you saw towards the end of the season in Portland was a guy who was coming off of double arthroscopic knee surgery. Given a full extended offseason to recover, there is no doubt in my mind he can't be an effective player in the NBA. Just not one worth $15 Million per year.

Trueblue2
12-14-2011, 07:48 AM
/thread.

No, you're just a dentist
/burn

thephoenixson28
12-14-2011, 08:22 AM
Unless he went to Phoenix

Lakers4life08
12-14-2011, 08:27 AM
I am working at Mcdonald,and i can say as profesional ,no he won't return

thekmp211
12-14-2011, 09:59 AM
Why?

You spent your entire life working towards this because you play for the love of the game. Point Blank.

Things only went down hill for Roy after he tore his meniscus in the 09-10 season and rushed back further damaging it more. Brandon Roy & the Portland Trailblazers have known about his arthritic knees since they drafted him. Its not like this is something that happened over night.

He was averaging 21 PPG before he tore his meniscus in April of 2010.

Now suddenly its December of 2011, and his knee is "damaged beyond repair" and he has to hang it up. I dont buy that at all. This is a move by Portland to save face because they realized Wes Matthews is better than him for their lineup.

Just to put thing in perspective for Roy, he started off the 2010-2011 season still not recovered from his meniscus injury and he averaged 20.7 PPG over the first 2 months of the NBA season.

What you saw towards the end of the season in Portland was a guy who was coming off of double arthroscopic knee surgery. Given a full extended offseason to recover, there is no doubt in my mind he can't be an effective player in the NBA. Just not one worth $15 Million per year.

his knee didn't just suddenly become damaged beyond repair. doctors begged him not to come back from the meniscus injury for this exact reason.

this is not like setting a bone, or letting a torn muscle or ligament heal. once that cartilage is gone, it's gone.

chris paul recovered the right way and still wasn't healthy all last season.

there's a difference between paying darius miles a terrible contract and overpaying brandon roy. if he could play, he would play. and if he was really healthy enough to contribute, you can bet your *** that contenders from both conferences would have no problem picking him up.

for a player of roy's stature and ability there is just no reason for some conspiracy to get him off the court.

Moe Bigsley
12-14-2011, 10:21 AM
With degenerative knees, there is little to nothing he can do for a recovery process to allow him to play competitive basketball for an entire season again. It takes extensive lengths in time and rehabilitation to POSSIBLY be able to put on the amount of pressure he would be by his vertical leap for even a few consecutive days at a time. Being that there is a slim possibility, he has a much greater risk of aggravating his condition to the magnitude of barely being able to walk under his own weight.

naps
12-14-2011, 10:22 AM
He'll make an attempt in a year or two. Not sure if it's gonna work out though. It's painful to think about him. He was such a phenomenal player.

THE Vernon
12-14-2011, 11:40 AM
In 5 years, the casual fan will say: who?

so sad

don'tfireNedCo
12-14-2011, 01:29 PM
No, you're just a dentist
/burn

so, what do you call your dentist when you go visit him? mister?:)

Fresno
12-15-2011, 09:17 PM
With degenerative knees, there is little to nothing he can do for a recovery process to allow him to play competitive basketball for an entire season again. It takes extensive lengths in time and rehabilitation to POSSIBLY be able to put on the amount of pressure he would be by his vertical leap for even a few consecutive days at a time. Being that there is a slim possibility, he has a much greater risk of aggravating his condition to the magnitude of barely being able to walk under his own weight.

Can people stop saying "degenerative knees" as if it is a death sentence.

Its arthritis, and hes known of his arthritic knees since college.

Fresno
12-15-2011, 09:24 PM
his knee didn't just suddenly become damaged beyond repair. doctors begged him not to come back from the meniscus injury for this exact reason.
Where did they beg him not to come back?

Doctors did his double arthroscopic knee surgery in an attempt to prolong his career and the Blazers doctors cleared him to return last season for their Playoff run.

They didnt just look at his knees last week and consider his career over.

this is not like setting a bone, or letting a torn muscle or ligament heal. once that cartilage is gone, it's gone.

chris paul recovered the right way and still wasn't healthy all last season.

I know that. However, many players are still able to play on knees after losing cartilage in their knee.

What do you think Kobe went to Germany for?

Chris Paul was healthy all last season, thats as healthy as he is going to get. Hes not the same player he was 3 years ago.

there's a difference between paying darius miles a terrible contract and overpaying brandon roy. if he could play, he would play. and if he was really healthy enough to contribute, you can bet your *** that contenders from both conferences would have no problem picking him up.

for a player of roy's stature and ability there is just no reason for some conspiracy to get him off the court.

We'll see.

Now that he is a Free Agent and can negotiate anywhere if he gets the urge to keep playing, its a guarantee that some team will give him a shot to kick his tires and see what he has left.