PDA

View Full Version : Did Carmelo ruin NY's chances of getting CP3?

davids22
12-13-2011, 08:15 PM
If you think about it, had Carmelo just waited for the lockout to be over, then he could have signed with the knicks as a FA. Then NYK would have had the right trade pieces to at least be In conversation for landing CP3.

Now, we can sit and argue about how getting Melo wasnt for sure with the pending lockout. We can argue how landing CP3 wouldn't be for sure with the trade scenarios getting turned down left and right. But the trade package Denver got would have been in the conversation for getting Paul. Plus, the way it looks, Paul is going to have to resign or at least pick up his option when (if) a trade goes through. Meaning no CP3 to NY.

To me, Melo just seemed selfish forcing that trade just to ensure he got the amount of money he wanted in the deal. He gutted his future teams assets and put them out of the CP3 sweepstakes. Now NY has to hope CP3 is still a FA next year or make a push for DWILL or Nash. But Nash on their team just screams the 07 and 08 suns and they never even made It to the finals. NY might just settle on Melo and Amare and add role players (like chandler) and hope they build chemistry.

kingsdelez24
12-13-2011, 08:19 PM
Ding ding ding ding ding! Captain obvious strikes again

Nets/Raiders!
12-13-2011, 08:22 PM
Not only did he ruin the chances, he ruined the whole entire Knicks squad. They had so many solid people playing that they could have been deadly this year with Anthony. You guys don't even have the pieces to trade for CP3 now. I used to watch Danilo, Felton, Wilson Chandler, Mosgov, etc and that was a great team when Stoudemire showed up.

Kashmir13579
12-13-2011, 08:22 PM
yea?

Angelus™
12-13-2011, 08:30 PM
You are completely right. He should of waited. If he did, then they'd be in a much better position to acquire better players

29$JerZ
12-13-2011, 08:32 PM
6 months late

Kashmir13579
12-13-2011, 08:34 PM
Knicks fans aren't even stressin' about CP3 anymore. We got a squad.

nystandup
12-13-2011, 08:35 PM
Not only did he ruin the chances, he ruined the whole entire Knicks squad. They had so many solid people playing that they could have been deadly this year with Anthony. You guys don't even have the pieces to trade for CP3 now. I used to watch Danilo, Felton, Wilson Chandler, Mosgov, etc and that was a great team when Stoudemire showed up.

The funny thing is everybody was screaming how none of those players we traded away were worth anything.... who cares now, we have the center we need which will be more impactfull i believe than acquiring chris paul and really leaving us with nothing.

Carmelo was worth it

Nets/Raiders!
12-13-2011, 08:40 PM

once you guys get a bench, you'll be up top the conference

Nets/Raiders!
12-13-2011, 08:41 PM
The funny thing is everybody was screaming how none of those players we traded away were worth anything.... who cares now, we have the center we need which will be more impactfull i believe than acquiring chris paul and really leaving us with nothing.

Carmelo was worth it

He was worth it but imagine if you guys just waited though? And Chandler will hold **** down but you guys need a bench to get even more deadly

Kashmir13579
12-13-2011, 08:43 PM
once you guys get a bench, you'll be up top the conference

I don't know about that, but we'll definitely be in the convo come playoff time. Which for most Knicks fans is a blessing after what we've been through.

P Styles
12-13-2011, 08:44 PM
As much as I like our current team, there is no denying the possibilities we would have available had Carmelo signed as a free agent.

Unfortunately it didn't go down that way

NYKnicksAllDay
12-13-2011, 08:44 PM
Thank you for pointing out what we've all known for the past ten months.

tmacmamba
12-13-2011, 08:45 PM
The Nuggets were not gonna let Melo walk away with nothing in return so end of discussion.

hugepatsfan
12-13-2011, 08:47 PM
Yes. It should be common knowledge that he did. Had he have waited, NY could have signed him and would have had enough assets to move for CP3. They also might have been able to take on Okafor's contract, which would have given them the defensive/rebounding C they need (I'd have to do some research before I claim that w/ certainty though).

allSUAVE
12-13-2011, 08:51 PM
Moved on

nystandup
12-13-2011, 08:51 PM
He was worth it but imagine if you guys just waited though? And Chandler will hold **** down but you guys need a bench to get even more deadly

If it wasnt for the cba he would have waited but because of the uncertainty of the cba i dont blame him

GhostfaceDrilla
12-13-2011, 08:52 PM
LOL Carmelo Anthony

oak2455
12-13-2011, 08:55 PM

This.....can't wait front line is gonna dominate

smith&wesson
12-13-2011, 08:56 PM
no. chandler was a great addition. that team needs D not scoring.

ayuntalo
12-13-2011, 08:58 PM
so funny its not worth explaining anymore lol

if everyone knew what was gonna happen on this lockout, cba, cap limit etc., then he would have waited it out too isnt it?
and who wants to play with scrubs when you can play on that same team while having good players around you?
obviously thats not the case, no one knew what the cap limit will be and what agreement will be agreed upon once the lockout is over.
its just that he and the knicks didnt wanna gamble and made sure that melo will be a knick.

personally i liked the pre-Melo knicks team. but i dont blame them.
did the knicks gave up too much to denver? YES.
but they saw a rare chance of securing a Star player on his prime with the knicks so they grabbed that rare opportunity.

Slimsim
12-13-2011, 09:09 PM
you think stern is going trade Cp3 to NY of all places

ne3xchamps
12-13-2011, 09:09 PM
Ding ding ding ding ding! Captain obvious strikes again

:laugh:

this.

kartyea
12-13-2011, 09:13 PM
If you think about it, had Carmelo just waited for the lockout to be over, then he could have signed with the knicks as a FA. Then NYK would have had the right trade pieces to at least be In conversation for landing CP3.

Now, we can sit and argue about how getting Melo wasnt for sure with the pending lockout. We can argue how landing CP3 wouldn't be for sure with the trade scenarios getting turned down left and right. But the trade package Denver got would have been in the conversation for getting Paul. Plus, the way it looks, Paul is going to have to resign or at least pick up his option when (if) a trade goes through. Meaning no CP3 to NY.

To me, Melo just seemed selfish forcing that trade just to ensure he got the amount of money he wanted in the deal. He gutted his future teams assets and put them out of the CP3 sweepstakes. Now NY has to hope CP3 is still a FA next year or make a push for DWILL or Nash. But Nash on their team just screams the 07 and 08 suns and they never even made It to the finals. NY might just settle on Melo and Amare and add role players (like chandler) and hope they build chemistry.

Ridiculous thread, no Melo meant no cp3. The knicks don't need an all star at every position, the last time i checkecked every team that has ever won a championship has a weakness at one position. So please Knick haters stop worying about us and worry about your own team, without cp3 we are a top 3 team in the east and yet and still you want more.

KnickFanSince91
12-13-2011, 09:14 PM
This again? How many times did people break down that we would have had to get rid of Chandler, Mozgov, Bill Walker, Turiaf and AR to clear up the room to sign him outright?

If you get past that...how many of "those great young players" we sent to Denver are even on Denver's roster right now? Felton warmed their bench and got traded. Chandler is in China and was gonna be an RFA anyway. Mozgov didn't ever take off the warm ups. Our pre-trade team was .500. Let it go...the knicks are much better w/o CP3 or waiting for Melo.

Arch Stanton
12-13-2011, 09:15 PM
He should've planned it better like LeBron, Wade, and Bosh had with the Heat back in 2008.

Punk
12-13-2011, 09:18 PM
Jesus Christ....MELO DID NOT WANT TO ENTIRE FREE AGENCY WITH A LOCKOUT. It's that simple and we are much better without Paul right now.

I'm sure any trades we made for Paul would be rejected by the league. So, this is another "did the knicks ruin the knicks?" thread.

Evolution23
12-13-2011, 10:02 PM
Melo would've been playing for the Nets and CP3 would not wana come by himself with Amare. Enough with the what ifs. /thread

seikou8
12-13-2011, 10:19 PM
Melo would've been playing for the Nets and CP3 would not wana come by himself with Amare. Enough with the what ifs. /thread

how do you know that

ugafan
12-13-2011, 10:20 PM
But not getting Carmelo woud ruin NY's chances of getting Carmelo.

blahblahyoutoo
12-13-2011, 10:28 PM
the blame is not solely on melo. stat needs to bear some of it as well.

Quietmoney
12-13-2011, 10:28 PM
Frankly I'm gonna speak on behalf of my fellow knickerbockers and tell you guys in the NBA forum that we don't care anymore! We have a team that's being put together right now that's looking very formidable. I for one wanted Paul but I didn't know we would have a chance at Chandler and other pieces. I pray for everyone's team after Melon, Amare, and Chandler get acostomed to one another. That ish is scary! We good right now, you guys can stay in the Chris Paul sweepstakes all you want. Any team that trades for him is gonna loose a major piece and salary flexibility for the future.

RC3
12-13-2011, 10:52 PM
We don't need chris paul. Knicks have been beating him for three straight years. I think we swept the hornets when we were *****.

ink
12-13-2011, 11:16 PM
He had to make his move when he did because he "prioritized winning". lol.

Chronz
12-14-2011, 12:16 AM
He had to make his move when he did because he "prioritized winning". lol.

How so when the team he was leaving was better? He moved to NY because its home and shiny

BradfordIsElite
12-14-2011, 12:35 AM
The Knicks should be happy with who they have. Their franchise as a whole has completely 360'd over the past season and now they're a legitamite playoff team off the bat. Amare and Melo should be untouchable. They're the cornerstone and the best thing that's happened to this team in a long time. With Chandler and even Bibby, and possibly more moves still to be made, you have to think very optimistically about them.

When it comes to NY, Melo > CP3

numba1CHANGsta
12-14-2011, 12:40 AM
Umm the Nuggets werent going to let him walk soo he was gonna get dealt like it or not

John Walls Era
12-14-2011, 12:42 AM
you think stern is going trade Cp3 to NY of all places

Don't think I'm a knick hater because I like most Knick's fans think the team they have now is very very good, but yes I think Stern would. Knicks are his fave team ;).

Davidgta1
12-14-2011, 01:15 AM
Yea he should of just signed as a fee agent.

AntiG
12-14-2011, 03:45 AM
if Carmelo hadn't been traded to the Knicks, the Nuggets would have ended up trading him to the Nets for their package. he wouldn't have reached free agency.

redhorse
12-14-2011, 09:36 AM
Knick fans already said this many times and its true... If there wasnt a lockout there would be a good chance he would of waited. For an nba player to be a free agent at time was probably a little scary for them because it looked lke there was no season. So why risk that.

Also the nuggets werent gonna just let him walk anyway without anything.

I also find it funny that the pieces that the knicks traded are like these good young players. And that they gave too much. When they were on the knicks they were scrubs to u guys. I always said from day 1 when lebron was a free agent knicks with that team would of been best suited for him.

AKAYaReal
12-14-2011, 10:30 AM
You would think Paul got traded already. Reason why this thread is pointless is as it stands, the league is wants more than what Denver got from Melo on top of the fact we would have not been able to resign some of the trade chips just to sign Melo.

Right now it works out better for us to not have a season of trade rumors and the effects it has on the players involved. We can focus on winning and winning now!

Better to ask a question like this if/when he gets traded to see what was given up for him.

BklynKnicks3
12-14-2011, 11:42 AM
lol NYK hate i love it season starts we dont have melo you dont have assets he going to nj. WE get melo u gave up to much how we gave up to much if we didnt have assets. Mean while we didnt have money to resign the players we getting if we signed melo. On to this year cp3 deal rejected for way more then we can offer so now if we have gallo will and felton we can get cp3. People are just clowns its crazy

strahan92osi72
12-14-2011, 11:48 AM
if Carmelo hadn't been traded to the Knicks, the Nuggets would have ended up trading him to the Nets for their package. he wouldn't have reached free agency.

This, and frankly that would've been a devastating blow to the Knicks franchise. The trade had to happen, period, and I'm happy it did.

NYkillaPriest
12-14-2011, 12:36 PM
Melo would have been dealt regardless...say a team like ORL or CHI takes a gamble on him because the Knicks say "no were going to save our pieces and wait till free agency"...do you really believe Melo would leave either of those teams to come to NY...and what is the difference in trading all our assets for Melo and trading all our assets for CP3

say everybody waited for the lockout to end, right now Amare would be in training camp looking at a lot of young players who know their not going to be on this team...would have been worse than Odom in LA...by the time Melo and CP3 get here we would be half way through camp with only 4-5 people on the roster...NY has a "team" now and they will compete this year

JordansBulls
12-14-2011, 08:59 PM
They can still get Deron can they?

Ty Fast
12-14-2011, 09:36 PM
no............ tyson chandler did.

Evolution23
12-14-2011, 09:46 PM
I'm gona say it again Melo would've been a NET if the trade didn't happen. /thread.

phoenix_bladen
12-14-2011, 10:15 PM
It just happened that melo was expiring during the end of the cba and with tha uncertainty of a lockout

He wanted his money and he probably would have signed an extension with the nets had the nuggets traded him there .... I wouldn't blame him ... With the new cba u get way less money on contracts

I think Melos thinking was sign the extension now and just demand a trade down the road if he had to

At least it guarantee his money but with that being said if it wasn't for the cba expiring the nuggets would never have had that much leverage and melo would have signed with the Knicks during free agency

He should have been smart like lebron and signed for the 3 years instead of 4 and get out in 2010

hobobird23
12-14-2011, 10:44 PM
hmm.. idk about you but i'm pretty sure the nba is a business. melo wanted out and everyone knew about it, so what was denver going to do, have a repeat of the lebron's debacle? denver traded melo cause they knew losing him to free agency meant lebron 2.0 all over again. how is melo selfish? denver wanted the best package for melo, which team wouldnt want that in that situation..? denver wasnt going to let melo wait the season out for free agency.. duh. plus, i feel sorry for knick fans cause theyre stuck with mike d as coach... even if they had cp3 with amare, and melo, i doubt they get into the conference finals. knicks dont play defense, has a coach who wins regular season games but not playoff games. idk about you but that seems to be a problem.. mike d's system doesnt work. please, someone argue that it works. you can't cause it doesnt happen

Sixerlover
12-14-2011, 10:59 PM
no............ tyson chandler did.

:clap:

LOOTERX9
12-14-2011, 11:01 PM
KNICKS Dont need a star PG. They needed defense down low way more. So chandler is the better move for ny.
Star pg's dont win titles in this league as the #1 guy