PDA

View Full Version : question about the odom trade

JoeyBoy718
12-13-2011, 07:03 PM
When the Lakers were pursuing Paul, they were willing to give up Odom and Bynum for him. So I would figure they would be willing to give up Odom and Bynum for another player of elite talent, Howard. So when I first heard of the Lakers basically giving Odom away for nothing more than a trade exception, I was under the impression that the Magic would surely trade Howard to the Lakers for Bynum and the trade exception. I figured that was the reason why they would be willing to give up Odom--because they were assured it would get them Howard. Now it doesn't even seem like they're int he hunt for Howard. So essentially they gave away Odom for nothing. Am I missing something?

Cal827
12-13-2011, 07:08 PM
If I'm not mistaken, Odom was mainly in the Orlando deal in order to allow the Magic to dump a bad contract on LA (Hedo). When the Paul trade fell out, both Gasol and Odom were pissed off that the team was willing to deal them out, so Odom he asked out and was sent to Dallas. The trade exception isn't large enough to eat Hedo's contract, so if the Lakers were to get Howard, it would need to be for Bynum straight up or LA would need to get a partner team to add assets to Orlando. They are still in the running, but Orlando is looking at other potential deals as well right now.

RLundi
12-13-2011, 07:14 PM
Trade exceptions can't be used in addition to another player in a trade, so honestly, the Odom trade baffles me. Yes, it was uncomfortable for him, but a trade exception was the best offer available? And to a contender at that?

Unless Buss has something else up his sleeve, I'm unsure where LA is going with this. But then again, I'm not a GM.