PDA

View Full Version : Are the lakers creating cap room for 2012?

dnewguy
12-13-2011, 04:54 PM
Can someone explain what the lakeshow are doing. They recently traded Odom for two ps3 controllers let Brown go. They then went out and signed Mcroberts and G Green to replace them.

Are they rebuilding or are they creating cap room for 2012

Your thoughts on Lakers surprising off-season moves.

Swashcuff
12-13-2011, 04:56 PM
Its the Lakers...they MUST have plan up their sleeves. Whether or not that plan comes to fruition remains to be seen.

310Casper
12-13-2011, 04:57 PM
http://hoopshype.com/salaries/la_lakers.htm

Brown was garbage, not that big of a loss. Decent bench guy at best.
Odom just had a great year, still inconsistent and will not replicate that in Dallas, mark my words.

I predict they end up trading Bynum and Gasol for d12 and turkeyglue.
Then amnesty turkuglu next season.
Then sign a free agent named Chris Paul.

Cal827
12-13-2011, 04:57 PM
They might be. They would definitely need to get rid of Gasol though for a larger expiring contract(s), but I'm not sure if a team will be willing to do that since they don't reallly have another prospect to send away. If they do, then next offseason, they can basically decline Bynum's Option and Amnesty Metta or Walton and be in the range to add another max player.

beliges
12-13-2011, 05:17 PM
Green will not make the roster and they essential replaced browns money with McRoberts, a big whose as gd if not better than brown. However the Lakers are still looking to acquire Dwight or cp3. The Lamar trade gave them the best assets to offer Orlando. Now we wait and see. There hasn't been much rumors from the Dwight front these last few days which is a gd indication something is about to happen

Anilyzer
12-13-2011, 05:30 PM
Lakers aren't a "cap room" type of team. It's impossible for them to get under the cap and still maneuver--they exist over the cap.

That's why the Sasha and Odom trade exceptions are so valuable for them... $8.9M and $6.4M that they can get back in trade.

And seriously, get used to the idea that Artest or World b Peace or whatever is gonna have a monster year.

Artest is so much better than Odom it's ridiculous. Look what Artest did in the 2010 Finals. It's difficult to imagine Odom doing anything like that. Artest is a GREAT piece of the Lakers puzzle.

Kobe / Goudelock / Green
Blake / Morris / Fisher / Millsap
Pau / Caracter / McRoberts
Bynum / Daniels / [backup center] / Majok
Artest / Barnes / Ebanks / Kapono

Walton is the clear amnesty here... $5.5M for 2 years = $11M + $11M in luxury tax, so amnestying him clears a bit of space but also saves $11M in luxury tax... other option is amnestying Fisher. They could've considered amnestying Odom if Mike Brown just really didn't like him

tmacmamba
12-13-2011, 05:35 PM

Odom just had a great year, still inconsistent and will not replicate that in Dallas, mark my words.

Sounds like a plan, it would be hard to trade both Bynum and Gasol for Dwight but if thats what it takes to get Dwight then the Lakers have to do that deal.

n83417
12-13-2011, 05:35 PM

If traded, I am pretty sure he will be ineligible for amnesty, it has to be someone under contract with their current team at the time the lockout ended.

Lake_Show2416
12-13-2011, 05:43 PM
we wont be a free agent play till 2014, where we'll have pic of the litter

but Mitch has proven himself in the past & i trust wutever he's doing

Cano-Montero...
12-13-2011, 05:54 PM
When kobe is earning almost half of the salary next year we cant be players for FA...

Avenged
12-13-2011, 05:59 PM
I'm done trying to figure out what they're doing. Every time I get to thinking about it, I end up even more lost.

3mikee_
12-13-2011, 06:03 PM
It really has been a confusing off season. They clearly had a shot for at least one more championship run.. but now I don't even know anymore.

zB_#85
12-13-2011, 06:03 PM
I'm done trying to figure out what they're doing. Every time I get to thinking about it, I end up even more lost.

I'm gonna go hang out with avenged on this one.

WTF...

everything is so close to the vest b/c they don't want Stern **** blocking them anymore.

billsftw
12-13-2011, 06:07 PM
i think they will figure it out, but if they don't its going to set them back for quite a while.

Lakeshow24KB
12-13-2011, 06:15 PM
Never count the Lakers out....even Mitch said he has some big deals coming....and I think all the Dwight staying in Orlando is a dilemma. And he's not going to New Jersey because if he would, then he would have gotten traded by now since the offer never changed. I think he's coming here. Mathematically it wouldn't make sense traded Pau Gasol and Andrew Bynum for Dwight Howard (

beasted86

This guy has your answer:

When kobe is earning almost half of the salary next year we cant be players for FA...

I'm not going to waste time going into specifics, but to keep things really short, either Kobe has to renegotiate to take a crap load less than he's making now, or Paul & Howard would have to sign for a crap load less than they could sign for elsewhere.

Lakeshow24KB
it cut me off....but anyways It doesnt make sense mathematically but it's dwight howard....you kind of have to. hah

JordansBulls
12-13-2011, 06:17 PM

You can't amnesty a player once he is traded. You can only amnesty a player you have signed to a contract.

Aust
12-13-2011, 06:18 PM
Not rebuilding, kind of creating cap room. Odom requested a trade and Brown is overrated.
Just signed Odom's replacement. Not as good, but younger, hungrier, more consistent and cheaper.

Odom was also a product of the triangle. He wouldn't of done as well in Brown's new game plan tbh

MeLaPelan!
12-13-2011, 06:21 PM
The only way I see the Lakers creating cap space is if we trade Bynum and picks straight up for Howard without taking Hedo's contract, and then trading Gasol for expirings and maybe a draft pick or two, then use those picks and trade Blake to a team with cap space or for an expiring contract, then we would amnesty World peace, and then cross our fingers and hope Fisher and Puke retire...la la la la la

are team would be

Kobe 27,000,000
Howard 15,000,000
McRoberts 3,000,000

assuming the cap would be at 60 mill next season then we would have 15 mill to offer CP3, offcourse assuming he doesn't get traded to a team that he would sign an extension with..plus if we did all that we would have the full mle to fill our team.....YEAH, I DON'T THINK SO!

MeLaPelan!
12-13-2011, 06:23 PM
Not rebuilding, kind of creating cap room. Odom requested a trade and Brown is overrated.
Just signed Odom's replacement. Not as good, but younger, hungrier, more consistent and cheaper.

Odom was also a product of the triangle. He wouldn't of done as well in Brown's new game plan tbh

lol...If anything the triangle held Odom back..

MeLaPelan!
12-13-2011, 06:23 PM

My bad, double post.

beasted86
12-13-2011, 06:25 PM
The only way I see the Lakers creating cap space is if we trade Bynum and picks straight up for Howard without taking Hedo's contract, and then trading Gasol for expirings and maybe a draft pick or two, then use those picks and trade Blake to a team with cap space or for an expiring contract, then we would amnesty World peace, and then cross our fingers and hope Fisher and Puke retire...la la la la la

are team would be

Kobe 27,000,000
Howard 15,000,000
McRoberts 3,000,000

assuming the cap would be at 60 mill next season then we would have 15 mill to offer CP3, offcourse assuming he doesn't get traded to a team that he would sign an extension with..plus if we did all that we would have the full mle to fill our team.....YEAH, I DON'T THINK SO!
Luke Walton is fully guaranteed $5.8M for 2012/13
Steve Blake is fully guaranteed $4.0M for 2012/23
Ron Artest has a player option (likely to opt in) worth $7.2M for 2012/13
Derek Fisher has a player option (likely to opt in) worth $3.4M for 2012/13

These guys didn't disappear from the roster, and cannot all be bought out.

Lakers + Giants
12-13-2011, 06:26 PM
Gerald Green isn't even going to make the roster, he's just invited to camp, lakers sign scrubs every year and then waive them as soon as the preseason is over. We probably will end up signing McRoberts but we still haven't yet, and no, he is not replacing LO. Also, the lakers won't ever rebuild again as long as they have kobe. . .what's the point of rebuilding while paying him 30 Mil a season, they're trying to win as many titles as possible until Kobe completely declines.

MeLaPelan!
12-13-2011, 06:28 PM
Luke Walton is fully guaranteed $5.8M for 2012/13
Steve Blake is fully guaranteed $4.0M for 2012/23
Ron Artest has a player option (likely to opt in) worth $7.2M for 2012/13
Derek Fisher has a player option (likely to opt in) worth $3.4M for 2012/13

These guys didn't disappear from the roster, and cannot all be bought out.

Read the whole post again, that would be assuming we got rid of those players.

Hawkeye15
12-13-2011, 06:30 PM
Not unless they amnesty waive Kobe. They won't have capspace until 2013-14.

beasted86
12-13-2011, 06:31 PM
Read the whole post again, that would be assuming we got rid of those players.

Do you think all of that is feasible?

MeLaPelan!
12-13-2011, 06:32 PM
Do you think all of that is feasible?

Like I said at the end of my post! I DON'T THINK SO!

Aust
12-13-2011, 06:33 PM
Kobe HAS TO restructure his contract. Or we finally grow some balls and spend. Never hear about the ****ing TV Deal anymore

MeLaPelan!
12-13-2011, 06:36 PM
The whole point of my post, was that it's a long shot for the Lakers to create enough cap space to be big time players in next years free agency....why is it so hard to understand?

GeraldRFord
12-13-2011, 06:55 PM
The Lakers always have a plan up their sleeves, but that doesn't mean I can't miss Lamar Odom.

beliges
12-13-2011, 06:58 PM
Lakers have Kobe now so they're not trying to build for the future but at the same time they have a horrible roster thus far. Outside if pau, drew and Kobe they have below average scrubs on their team. Certainly nothing good enough to compete for a title.

RLundi
12-13-2011, 07:39 PM
Kobe HAS TO restructure his contract. Or we finally grow some balls and spend. Never hear about the ****ing TV Deal anymore

They have the highest payroll in the league, how big can their balls get?

BKLYNpigeon
12-13-2011, 07:56 PM
I think the Lakers got a great deal for Odom.

Right Now...Cap Space is more important then Odom. and they got a pair of draft picks.

Supreme LA
12-13-2011, 08:02 PM
Lakers are done. I hate to admit it, but giving up Odom and signing Kapono, Green, and McRoberts is not the answer.

Unless we get D12 (unlikely), we pretty much are out of serious contention for a title this season and I fear it really will be Miami's season to lose.

ThunderousDemon
12-13-2011, 08:03 PM
Speculation is what this all is,obviously Mitch knows what he's doing.When Kobe's contract ends in 3 years I see him retiring and then the Lakers if the deal for Dwight goes through we will have him as the face of the Lakers franchise and then we build around him.

310Casper
12-13-2011, 08:07 PM
we pretty much are out of serious contention for a title this season and I fear it really will be Miami's season to lose.

Miami lost chandler, barrea and butler. Gained odom, delonte west and an old vince carter.

I still have about 3-4 other teams clearly ahead of them this year.

Supreme LA
12-13-2011, 08:12 PM
Miami lost chandler, barrea and butler. Gained odom, delonte west and an old vince carter.

Huh???? Wtf are you talking about???

You need to lay off the meth and crack you're smoking. Your brain isn't functioning properly. :facepalm:

ThunderousDemon
12-13-2011, 08:14 PM

:crazy:

ragee
12-13-2011, 08:23 PM

Correct me if I am wrong but I believe they can't use the amnesty on Turk...

310Casper
12-13-2011, 08:52 PM
:crazy:

Obviously meant dallas instead of miami. Dont be stupid.

Storch
12-13-2011, 09:08 PM
Just sit and wait guys. Play some Cod. Spend time with your girlfriends. Play skyrim or whatever that floats your boat because this is just one big roller coaster that goes up n down up n down. Let it go guys... It's only going to drive you insane if you pay attention to the Lakers moves daily, they're like the stock market right now. It's best to just check it every so often :)

Aust
12-13-2011, 09:30 PM
They have the highest payroll in the league, how big can their balls get?

Bigger, larger, I want them to swell!!

RLundi
12-13-2011, 09:37 PM
Bigger, larger, I want them to swell!!

Inflammation of the testicles, also known as orchitis, is caused by an infection and can lead to infertility and eventually the loss of the testicle. And from what I hear, the pain is UNBEARABLE.

I'm almost positive you don't want that.

MickeyMgl
12-13-2011, 09:46 PM
It really has been a confusing off season. They clearly had a shot for at least one more championship run.. but now I don't even know anymore.

Oh, I do know. The answer, right now, is no they don't.

beans439
12-13-2011, 09:52 PM
Inflammation of the testicles, also known as orchitis, is caused by an infection and can lead to infertility and eventually the loss of the testicle. And from what I hear, the pain is UNBEARABLE.

I'm almost positive you don't want that.

classic...haha