PDA

View Full Version : David Stern vs Donald Sterling in Negotiation: Sterling Wins

Anilyzer
12-13-2011, 04:54 PM
What did you expect? Anybody from L.A. could've told you this, and it raises even more questions about Stern's competence as a GM or team "owner."

Donald Sterling is perhaps the most ruthless and uncompromising negotiator in the LA business world, or right up there. A heavyweight surrounded by heavyweights. A real estate mogul, he has bragged in the past that he "has never sold a single piece of property, or anything he has ever bought."

So... THIS is the guy that David Stern goes after and tries to play hardball with in a CP3 deal? Hahaha........................Hahahahahaha

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Stern's only, ONLY, chance to make the deal he wants is to call in a huge favor from Sterling "hey, bail me out on this one, and will give the Clippers considerations down the line" or "hey buddy, take one for the team this time and we'll be grateful." Then, maybe, maybe, the deal might have a chance.

But that is very very unlikely. In fact, if David Stern said something like that, Sterling would probably end up owning half of the entire Hornets. (so weird that Sterling IS a 1/30th owner of the Hornets, yet negotiating with the Hornets... weird).

anyways, if Stern was pinning all his hopes on trading CP3 to the Clippers... bad move. and if CP3 had gone to the Clippers, nobody would've cared anyway. And I'm sure that CP3 wasn't saying he'd sign an extension or activate his option year there, either.

So, after this waste of time, we're exactly where we were Saturday after the Lakers let go of the deal. In fact, perhaps Donald Sterling was just doing a favor for his stadium buddies and partners the Lakers by toying around with this supposed "trade" that oh, by the way the media was repeatedly calling "a done deal."

Chronz
12-13-2011, 05:00 PM
CP3 said he would opt in to play for the Clips, other than that it was an interesting read.

Anilyzer
12-13-2011, 05:02 PM
Oh and "riding high" three days after the big win in the lockout negotiations and posturing as the greatest negotiator in the history of Manhattan or whatever, it's gotta sting to just get out-negotiated and shut down by some West Coast playas

Anilyzer
12-13-2011, 05:03 PM
CP3 said he would opt in to play for the Clips, other than that it was an interesting read.

I actually didn't see a quote on that. I heard reports and speculation... my guess it was a message relayed from the agent's, but probably wishful thinking. I could be wrong though.

Chronz
12-13-2011, 05:08 PM
Not at all, the deal wouldnt go through if he didnt agree to opt in

Anilyzer
12-13-2011, 06:03 PM
Not at all, the deal wouldnt go through if he didnt agree to opt in

deal didn't go through

Chronz
12-13-2011, 06:32 PM
deal didn't go through

Yes it did, Stern vetoed it remember

Anilyzer
12-13-2011, 08:46 PM
Yes it did, Stern vetoed it remember

we're talking about the Clippers deal.

there was no veto because Stern was leading the negotiations and in control all along. The two sides weren't able to reach a deal--and if the "proposal" that was out there was Gordon + 1st rounder + 4 other pieces, then clearly that was a proposal coming from the league, NOT the Clippers, because the Clippers turned it down and pulled out of negotiations. Then the league tried to re-open negotiations, but the Clippers I guess didn't like what was being proposed, or for other reasons pulled out of those second negotiations.

So, we don't know if Paul was going to give the Clippers 1 1/2 years, or if he was just saying, through his agents, that LA was a good destination and that he'd be "open to" (but probably non-committal) to agreeing to the last year option.

Honestly, I don't know why he would, it would cost him money. It's far better for him to just play out the year in Orlando, or get traded as a 1 year rental, and then test the free agent market at this point.

The league could've had a huge draw with CP3 on the Lakers... but in case nobody noticed, it's CP3 and the league that need the Lakers, not the other way about.

Sterling jerking Stern around while Stern tries to out-negotiate the king of the jungle was just too funny. I've never been a Clipper fan, and have been somewhat of a detractor, but the Clippers actually just won me over, I like them much more now and will likely buy a few tickets. If the Clippers had knuckled under and taken a crap deal for CP3, it would've made all those years of Clipper-dom completely ridiculous, and would've been a kind of soul-death for the team.

As it stands, Clippers are looking good and we've actually seen some Clipper-pride!!

Go Clippers!!

Chronz
12-15-2011, 12:05 AM
we're talking about the Clippers deal.
Of course

there was no veto because Stern was leading the negotiations and in control all along.
False, the 2 GM's agreed, DTS agreed, it was Stern who vetoed.

So, we don't know if Paul was going to give the Clippers 1 1/2 years, or if he was just saying, through his agents, that LA was a good destination and that he'd be "open to" (but probably non-committal) to agreeing to the last year option.

Nope, he had to opt in in order for the trade to go through

Theyhateme459
12-15-2011, 12:12 AM
Looks like Stern landed the knock out.... Got exactly what he wanted

RLundi
12-15-2011, 12:14 AM
Winner winner chicken dinner goes to David Joel Stern.

Shame. I was starting to respect Donald Sterling.

Bruno
12-15-2011, 12:15 AM
if you wana call giving up Gordon a victory, okay.

i'm not against it calling this trade a victory, but that's how it should be defined, right? weren't a lot of people hoping LAC would hold onto gordon?

MGB
12-15-2011, 12:17 AM
What did you expect? Anybody from L.A. could've told you this, and it raises even more questions about Stern's competence as a GM or team "owner."

Donald Sterling is perhaps the most ruthless and uncompromising negotiator in the LA business world, or right up there. A heavyweight surrounded by heavyweights. A real estate mogul, he has bragged in the past that he "has never sold a single piece of property, or anything he has ever bought."

So... THIS is the guy that David Stern goes after and tries to play hardball with in a CP3 deal? Hahaha........................Hahahahahaha

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Stern's only, ONLY, chance to make the deal he wants is to call in a huge favor from Sterling "hey, bail me out on this one, and will give the Clippers considerations down the line" or "hey buddy, take one for the team this time and we'll be grateful." Then, maybe, maybe, the deal might have a chance.

But that is very very unlikely. In fact, if David Stern said something like that, Sterling would probably end up owning half of the entire Hornets. (so weird that Sterling IS a 1/30th owner of the Hornets, yet negotiating with the Hornets... weird).

anyways, if Stern was pinning all his hopes on trading CP3 to the Clippers... bad move. and if CP3 had gone to the Clippers, nobody would've cared anyway. And I'm sure that CP3 wasn't saying he'd sign an extension or activate his option year there, either.

So, after this waste of time, we're exactly where we were Saturday after the Lakers let go of the deal. In fact, perhaps Donald Sterling was just doing a favor for his stadium buddies and partners the Lakers by toying around with this supposed "trade" that oh, by the way the media was repeatedly calling "a done deal."

Well this fail boat just set fail for fail island.

OccupymyBallers
12-15-2011, 12:23 AM
this is probably the worst thing i've ever read in my life.

FarOutIos
12-15-2011, 12:33 AM
So I'm confused... Is the OP trying to praise sterling for not giving up to much in the deal... The same deal that now seems to have gone through?

Seems to me like the Clippers gave the Hornets more than anyone expected. Gordon, Minny's first, Aminu and Kaman. Wow...

So in reality, the tables have completely turned on the OP?...

billsftw
12-15-2011, 12:38 AM
classic case of 'spoken too soon'

BKLYNpigeon
12-15-2011, 12:40 AM
Hornets will get the will get picks number 1-3 in the next NBA Draft. Stern will rig the draft.

bholly
12-15-2011, 12:41 AM

So diplomatic.

RLundi
12-15-2011, 12:51 AM
This thread was created before the deal went down. OP was praising Sterling for not backing down.

And a day later, Sterling backs down.

Irony at it's finest.

Chronz
12-15-2011, 02:14 AM
Yup DTS bent over backward and took it up the arse

Anilyzer
12-15-2011, 03:57 AM
So I'm confused... Is the OP trying to praise sterling for not giving up to much in the deal... The same deal that now seems to have gone through?

Seems to me like the Clippers gave the Hornets more than anyone expected. Gordon, Minny's first, Aminu and Kaman. Wow...

So in reality, the tables have completely turned on the OP?...

Yes... exactly.

Anyways... as much as I wanted to see Sterling hold to his principles of thriftiness and not getting caught up in all the superstar-mania, and as much as I didn't want to see Stern just get a big win for himself after the Laker-trade fiasco... this IS kinda good for the Clippers. It does give them a chance at least.

No young superstar has ever chosen to go the Clippers, so that is a huge opportunity. And they also added 2 2nd round picks to the deal, so that is something.

Of course, some will say that the Clippers caved, East coast beat West coast in a negotiation, Manhattan beat Hollywood... and some will say the Clippers would've had Kyrie Irving with the #1 pick last year if they hadn't foolishly traded it and not protected it. And some will say that CP3 will bolt in free agency, and that a year from now the Clipper's will be in the Hornet's exact shoes... I read a comment from one person on MSNBC that said that just as we reserve judgement on any Bill Bellichick trade and assume that it was a smart move until proven otherwise, we should also assume that any Donald Sterling trade was a bad decision until it is proven otherwise. Which I thought was a great comment.

But yeah... what does it really matter? That's the point. If you want a true insight into Clipper basketball and the Clipper mindset, that is it. The Clipper attitude is this: "They're just boys out there wearing short pants and playing with a ball. What does it matter? Have another glass of champagne. Oooh, what's that one's name? He's very quick! Oh, delightful... haha. Did you see that? He threw the ball from far away and it went into the basket. Splendid!"

So... uh... really... what does it matter? Clippers get their best young star ever, and pair him with Griffith. Good times. Fun. Highlights. Attention.

So... I'm actually on the Clippers side with this one, and this should be pretty enjoyable. No more giving away those Clipper tickets.

Chronz
12-15-2011, 02:22 PM
Of course, some will say that the Clippers caved, East coast beat West coast in a negotiation, Manhattan beat Hollywood... and some will say the Clippers would've had Kyrie Irving with the #1 pick last year if they hadn't foolishly traded it and not protected it.
Nah only idiots with no knowledge of the CBA or the Stepien Rule would say that, the Clips couldnt protect it nor would the Cavs have taken it with protecion. Its more complex than you think.

And some will say that CP3 will bolt in free agency, and that a year from now the Clipper's will be in the Hornet's exact ...
He cant, hes got 2 years.

The rest of it was ..... interesting

Anilyzer
12-15-2011, 04:40 PM
Nah only idiots with no knowledge of the CBA or the Stepien Rule would say that, the Clips couldnt protect it nor would the Cavs have taken it with protecion. Its more complex than you think.

He cant, hes got 2 years.

The rest of it was ..... interesting

Dude...

1. Yes, when you trade a draft pick, it can be protected. Witness the Dallas Mavericks top 20 protected pick traded to LA.

2. Yes, he's got TWO YEARS. Two years, including this year. He was set to become an unrestricted free agent after the 2012 season... but now he picked up his player option, and is now set to become a free agent after the 2013 season.

So, the Clippers have him for this year, and next year. What I'm saying is that NEXT year, he'll be in the same situation he was in with the Hornets THIS year. And the same situation Howard is in, Lebron and Bosh were in, Carmelo was in, etc.

I think it will be fine though, because the Clippers aren't afraid to just let him go into unrestricted free agency, and even lose him for nothing. They'll just play him for two years and then see what happens--I don't think they'll go the Orlando/Cleveland/New Orleans/Toronto route of "if we don't trade this guy we'll get nothing and our franchise will be destroyed, we must start shopping him and discussing trades in the media every day starting Nov. 2012" or whatever.

Anilyzer
12-15-2011, 04:43 PM
Also, the Stepien rule is as follows (had to hit wikipedia to find this):

[from wkipedia]

In fact, all of these questionable moves led the NBA to institute what is commonly known as the "Stepien Rule," which states that a team cannot trade its first-round pick in consecutive years.

Anilyzer
12-15-2011, 04:45 PM
for the record, the Clippers DID trade their first round pick last year to Cleveland in the Baron Davis deal, and they could have top-3 protected it if they had wanted to. And Cleveland would've still taken the deal.

That pick ended up being the #1 overall, and was used to draft Kyrie Irving.

don'tfireNedCo
12-15-2011, 04:50 PM
for the record, the Clippers DID trade their first round pick last year to Cleveland in the Baron Davis deal, and they could have top-3 protected it if they had wanted to. And Cleveland would've still taken the deal.

That pick ended up being the #1 overall, and was used to draft Kyrie Irving.

not true.

you cannot have 2 picks that are protected traded, and we gave a top 10 protected pick to OKC for eric bledsoe deal and now the pick is in the hands of danny ainge of the celts. we had no choice by the league rules but to give an unprotected pick to the cavs, and also have no picks left in the next draft class of year 2012, because now with CP3 it is certain we won't be a lottery team, thus the pick will go to the celts, contrary also to the NBATV talkingheads.

Anilyzer
12-15-2011, 04:54 PM
not true.

you cannot have 2 picks that are protected traded, and we gave a top 10 protected pick to OKC for eric bledsoe deal and now the pick is in the hands of danny ainge of the celts. we had no choice by the league rules but to give an unprotected pick to the cavs, and also have no picks left in the next draft class of year 2012, because now with CP3 it is certain we won't be a lottery team, thus the pick will go to the celts, contrary also to the NBATV talkingheads.

Oh... I stand corrected. Of course, if you are in danger of violating the "Stepien Rule" that is about as bad as it gets, some would say. And, however it happened, dumping what ended up as the #1 pick and probable future hall of famer PG Kyrie Irving just to dump Baron Davis (the previous savior point guard of the franchise) and his salary is... unfortunate.

don'tfireNedCo
12-15-2011, 05:09 PM
highly doubt kyrie is a HOF material, but even if I am wrong you should be very happy that you got him and i am not 1 bit sorry, because baron davis was not only a bad contract but a terrible role model and a vet for my team. baron was a cancer and only the diehard clipper fans who follow every move would understand since the clips basically got no media exposure until griffin blew up, but believe me baron was far more negative than just a big salary for us. we had to get rid of him asap.

justinnum1
12-15-2011, 05:19 PM
:facepalm:

Anilyzer
12-15-2011, 05:31 PM
highly doubt kyrie is a HOF material, but even if I am wrong you should be very happy that you got him and i am not 1 bit sorry, because baron davis was not only a bad contract but a terrible role model and a vet for my team. baron was a cancer and only the diehard clipper fans who follow every move would understand since the clips basically got no media exposure until griffin blew up, but believe me baron was far more negative than just a big salary for us. we had to get rid of him asap.

dude... hahaha. I am not a Cleveland fan. I am a longtime LAKER fan. Actually I never understood how anybody could live in LA and NOT be a Laker fan... although my ex-girlfriend and her friends were all dorky UCLA football fans, even when USC was at the peak of its (most recent) dynasty. So... go figure.

But yeah... Sure. Ok. It doesn't matter that the Clippers lost Kyrie Irving. Or that they shelled out large for Baron Davis as a star savior PG, only to have to dump him at a huge cost very quickly. And I'm sure you don't want me to start discussing Clipper history, right?

I mean, if I am going to go to a Clipper game, even for free, I need to at least have a somewhat good feeling about the team. Sterling tooling David Stern I thought was finally the thing that could make me feel good about the Clippers: Sterling was a better business man than Stern, was harder and tougher. He ran his franchise at a profit even in the face of so much criticism, and then he didn't bite for Stern's ripoff demands for yet another disgruntled superstar. He took Stern's role at playing GM and chucked it back at him.

*sigh* But then they rolled over and gave up everything the Hornets/Stern asked for. Disappointing. Did I know that would happen when I posted this thread? No. How could I? How could I possibly know that, even though the Clippers have a rep as the thriftiest, most conservative team in the league, that doesn't take any crap from agents, that the NBA would get anything it wanted out of the Clippers when push came to shove? How could I possibly know that?

Maybe the Clippers have reinvented themselves now, and are actually trying to be good. Maybe they've stopped thinking the NBA is a big fat joke that the masses find entertaining. Maybe they really want to put out a strong product and be fun and entertaining and try to win. If so, bravo, Clippers. This may be the best Clipper season ever.

Anilyzer
12-15-2011, 07:51 PM
anyways, Clippers now have two (2) of the most exciting young superstars in the game. This is a potentially classic pairing, which could be much better than Stockton-Malone, for example, Nash-Stoudemire, Isaiah's Detroit teams, Magic-Worthy even.

So this is big.

What remains to be seen is how the Clippers will respond and handle being in the spotlight. Forget the past, forget Kyrie Irving, forget Gordon, forget whatever else is in the past. But can they gel, from here forward, and become a real team (LA basketball fans will know exactly what I mean when I say "can the Clippers become a real team." East coast fans etc will hear the words but not understand the actual meaning of them.)? That is the big question. Can they handle the spotlight, and create another basketball haven in Los Angeles.

So, it will be interesting, and they are a hot ticket for this season at the very least--perhaps the hottest ticket in town.

Chronz
12-15-2011, 08:06 PM
Dude...

1. Yes, when you trade a draft pick, it can be protected. Witness the Dallas Mavericks top 20 protected pick traded to LA.
LMFAO. What made you think I was saying you cant protect picks?

Anilyzer
12-15-2011, 08:25 PM
LMFAO. What made you think I was saying you cant protect picks?

this:

Nah only idiots with no knowledge of the CBA or the Stepien Rule would say that, the Clips couldnt protect it nor would the Cavs have taken it with protecion.

But yeah... the point was that the Clippers made a stupid move by trading away that unprotected #1 pick. If the answer is that they COULDN'T protect that pick because they had already traded ANOTHER unprotected 1st round pick, and were blocked by a rule named after the most notoriously bone-headed NBA owner in history, then that may be worse.

Chronz
12-15-2011, 08:47 PM
this:

What in that suggests that picks cant be protected? I was speaking to the complex issues regarding the trade due to the Celtics owning our next pick. They could have found ways around it, sure but according to management the Cavs wouldnt take it.

But yeah... the point was that the Clippers made a stupid move by trading away that unprotected #1 pick.
Yes your point was flawed.

If the answer is that they COULDN'T protect that pick because they had already traded ANOTHER unprotected 1st round pick, and were blocked by a rule named after the most notoriously bone-headed NBA owner in history, then that may be worse.
Good thing that didnt happen, the other pick is protected too. Thats why its complex. There are always ways around these things but when you make convoluted deals the other partner in the trade is less willing to help you out.

koreancabbage
12-15-2011, 09:15 PM
how did Sterling really win? Sterling didn't want to give up Gordan but he gave did. Stern won b/c he actually got back the second best player in the deal with tons of potential plus role players and picks. Eric Gordon is a gem by the looks of it

Look for Gordon to be one of the best players next year 25 ppg at least probably.

Chris Paul is the best player in the deal but who knows when his knees will buckle?