PDA

View Full Version : How close are the sixers to becoming a top 4 team in the east?

Philly 4 Life
12-13-2011, 04:28 PM
They have a really good core of guys, very defensive minded coach (collins' goal is to have 35 deflections a game), jrue is only gonaa get better, turner worked all summer on becoming a better shooter, iggy is a really good lockdown defender, brand really had a good year last year, and from what im hearin the kid vucevic has been really good overseas (double double numbers, even had a 20-20 game)...our bench is above average...in the last 66 games last season they went 38-28 thats including going 1-5 in the last 6 games...if they split that they go 40-26

Cal827
12-13-2011, 04:29 PM
Them and the Pacers will take the Bulls/Orlando/Atlanta/Celtics spots in the next 2 years I think.

sixer04fan
12-13-2011, 04:31 PM
Pacers and Sixers are coming up, look out. At this point either of them could pass the Hawks, the Magic, and possibly the Knicks or Celtics in the standings.

Top 4 for the Sixers this year? In a condensed season, young teams with depth are especially favored. Which is what the Sixers are. I expect the Sixers to be a top 4 team in the east this year.

Pakman
12-13-2011, 04:32 PM
Not better than Indiana

theDISH
12-13-2011, 04:34 PM
Not better than Indiana

yes they are. Iggy > Granger

Punk
12-13-2011, 04:34 PM
Lol Hold off those expectations.

1. Chicago
2. Miami
3. NY
4. Boston

Pacers have more of a put together roster right now with more potential.

theDISH
12-13-2011, 04:38 PM
Lol Hold off those expectations.

1. Chicago
2. Miami
3. NY
4. Boston

Pacers have more of a put together roster right now with more potential.

only thing the Pacers have better then the Sixers is their Center but its not like Hibbert is a dominate player or anything close to that.

Twista
12-13-2011, 04:40 PM
Umm...prove it on the court first, nothing is won on paper. Ask the Eagles, ask the Heat.

PhillyFaninLA
12-13-2011, 04:43 PM
I have them 5th in the eastern conference standings topic at 46 - 20 this is assuming all rosters are as is and no injuries.

PhillyFaninLA
12-13-2011, 04:43 PM
Umm...prove it on the court first, nothing is won on paper. Ask the Eagles, ask the Heat.

Did you watch the Sixers Heat series? I'm sure they would have some good things to say about us.

AntiG
12-13-2011, 04:44 PM

Iggy > Granger, but the rest of the Pacers >>> rest of the 76ers, especially if they land Crawford.

wjmoffatt
12-13-2011, 04:47 PM
Indy is better than Philly.

Hibbert and West and Foster> all Philly's bigs easy!
Darren C=Jrue
Granger and Iggy are to close to tell

Paul George i think is better than Evan Turner.
Crawford is def better than Turner.

wjmoffatt
12-13-2011, 04:48 PM
^ can't forget the Pacers have George Hill as well now

Twista
12-13-2011, 04:48 PM
Did you watch the Sixers Heat series? I'm sure they would have some good things to say about us.

Is that all you want? For people to say nice things about your team? C'mon man...You have to put a solid season together before people will be willing to give much props. I can see you as a 5th or 6th seed though, yeah. That much should be a given I'd imagine.

sixer04fan
12-13-2011, 04:55 PM

Darren C=Jrue

You're forgetting Lou Williams, Thaddeus Young, Jodie Meeks... We have great depth. And I would take Brand over David West in a heart beat any day of the week. Granger is a better scorer than Iggy, but Iggy is better in just about every other facet of the game. I'd also take Jrue Holiday over Darren Collison, as would every other GM in the NBA. And we have a much more accomplished coach in Doug Collins. And I promise you this, Turner will be better than Crawford could ever dream to be.

The only thing I will concede here is Hibbert > any center we have x10. That's it. I like the Pacers a lot, but the Sixers are the better team.

Moe Bigsley
12-13-2011, 04:58 PM
Potential takes you no where in the NBA. Just ask Michael Beasley, Thabeet, even Oden.

Lineups on a sheet can look great on paper, but its just that....look great. Until they prove that they can contend, they'll just stay at the "potential" slot and go nowhere

sixer04fan
12-13-2011, 04:58 PM
Honestly though, I don't want to drag this into a Pacers vs. Sixers debate haha. I'm obviously a huge Sixers fan, but I think both teams are up and coming in the East and are going to fly under the radar this year. Wouldn't be surprised if one of them gets home court in the playoffs and gets past the first round.

Swashcuff
12-13-2011, 05:00 PM
A couple all stars away. IF Jrue Holiday and Evan Turner become the players whom they are projected to become we'd have a solid footing. I'm not sold on our bigs up front just quite yet, so if there is anything that will hamper us from becoming a top 4 team it would certainly be that. I don't expect Evan Turner to turn into a superstar but I certainly don't think he'll be a scrub.

Swashcuff
12-13-2011, 05:02 PM

Darren C=Jrue

That's far from the truth. Jrue Holiday is better than Collison. Iggy is better than Granger at the moment and the verdict is still out on George and Turner.

PhillyFaninLA
12-13-2011, 05:02 PM
Personally I love the disrespect.

Philadelphia teams tend do our best when people are trying to kick us in teeth and don't believe in us.

I'll say this The Knicks, Heat, Celtics, Bulls, Thunder, Lakers, Mavs and more are more worried about us then their fans are.

MrfadeawayJB
12-13-2011, 05:03 PM
I agree with whoever said they will take the spot of the magic or celtics in a few years. I still think a 4th seed in the east is still 2-3 years away for them though

Swashcuff
12-13-2011, 05:04 PM

Philadelphia teams tend do our best when people are trying to kick us in teeth and don't believe in us.

I'll say this The Knicks, Heat, Celtics, Bulls, Thunder, Lakers, Mavs and more are more worried about us then their fans are.

Given the way we made the Heat work last postseason I can certainly agree with this.

wjmoffatt
12-13-2011, 05:04 PM
^Good point on the bench, but still I wouldn't touch Brand or West with a ten foot poll....Both are always hurt! And would have to disagree on Turner i think Paul George has more upside than him

5ass
12-13-2011, 05:05 PM
Miami
Bulls
Knicks
Celtics
Magic

no, not top 4.

MAYBE if orl trades howard, and Turner has a GREAT season

wjmoffatt
12-13-2011, 05:08 PM
Bulls didn't get any better! They're going to fall. They easily could be put out in the first round next season.

Pakman
12-13-2011, 05:09 PM

I'll say this The Knicks, Heat, Celtics, Bulls, Thunder, Lakers, Mavs and more are more worried about us then their fans are. Does philly deserve respect? Since A.I. they have been nothing short of mediocre. A first round exit to the heat is nothing to brag about. Don't get ahead of yourself

Da Knicks
12-13-2011, 05:14 PM
I actually like the sixers and think that they have a great future however, i think the team is pretty young in too many positions to really move into the top 4. You have teams like the pacers who are looking better and my thing with the sixers is the injuries to Brand who they will need. I still say maybe two more seasons for them to get Turner, Holiday, Williams to lead the team instead of Iggy and Brand.

PhillyFaninLA
12-13-2011, 05:15 PM
Does philly deserve respect? Since A.I. they have been nothing short of mediocre. A first round exit to the heat is nothing to brag about. Don't get ahead of yourself

2010 - 11 facts:

Started 3 - 13
Finished 38 - 28

In the playoffs we played the Heat tougher then anyone in the East.

We have a great coach and strong young core with a ton of upside and are getting experience.

I'll take the mediocre we had last year.

Rockice_8
12-13-2011, 05:16 PM
Right now the top 4 are clearly MIA, CHI, NY, and BOS (in no order). After that ORL (should Dwight stay), IND, ATL, and Philly are probably the next 4 teams in no order. Depending on what happens with NJ whether they land Dwight or add Nene I think they could find their way into that discussion. Then there is the last group of WAS, CAR, MIL, DET, trying to find their way into the last playoff spot.

Oh can't forget TOR and CLE bringing up the rear.

Lots of other factors come into play but I think the East is going to be tough this year.

SeoulBeatz
12-13-2011, 05:18 PM
I think we're a Dwight Howard away :).

I dunno, I'm more optimistic about this team than I've ever been. Just seeing how this team came together over the season after starting 3-13 to finish 41-41 is not too shabby. We've basically kept the same exact roster from last year and this is a team that really gets along with each other. The chemistry is through the roof, and we have a lot of young talent that could make big strides this year.

Evan Turner played his best in the playoffs (was our leading scorer 2 out of 5 games) and since he'll be starting this year I expect his numbers to go up significantly.

Jrue Holiday is also going to step up big time, he averaged 18.7 ppg, 4.0rpg, 8.7 apg in the 13 games Iggy was out last season. He can be a force if given the chance and at just 21 years old he's got a long way to go.

I think we'll realistically finish 6-8th this year, we need a force downlow to really contend IMHO.

Twista
12-13-2011, 05:35 PM
2010 - 11 facts:

Started 3 - 13
Finished 38 - 28

In the playoffs we played the Heat tougher then anyone in the East.

We have a great coach and strong young core with a ton of upside and are getting experience.

I'll take the mediocre we had last year.

No, you didn't. Your bias is blinding you.

NYYCowboys
12-13-2011, 05:36 PM
I like them, but think they're probably a year or 2 away from being a top 4 team in the east.

cbreezy34
12-13-2011, 05:39 PM
I am very confident the Sixers will be the suprise team of the year. Evan Turner is gonna suprise a lot of people minus maybe heat fans who saw his flashes this past playoff series. Jrue Holiday is a star in the making in my opinon. Thad Young and Lou Will coming off our bench will be huge.... im feeling more optimistic then usual.

SeoulBeatz
12-13-2011, 05:39 PM
Does philly deserve respect? Since A.I. they have been nothing short of mediocre. A first round exit to the heat is nothing to brag about. Don't get ahead of yourself

obviously not. The few years prior to the last one were pretty godawful to be honest.

But Doug Collins really worked magic with this team. He addresses them like their his kids and it really paid dividends because this team of misfits suddenly has a ton of chemistry and they're one of the hardest working defensive groups in the league. They finally have an identity because of Doug.

cbreezy34
12-13-2011, 05:40 PM
We certainly gave the heat a much touger series then the Knicks gave the Celtics.

Dolfan305
12-13-2011, 05:42 PM
They could be 2 or so years away from a 4th seed. They are not even close to contending with the Heat or Bulls though.

Punk
12-13-2011, 05:45 PM
We certainly gave the heat a much touger series then the Knicks gave the Celtics.

Lol I'm sure a healthy Philly roster compared to our injured list has alot to do with it.

CubbieBlueprint
12-13-2011, 05:46 PM
Them and the Pacers will take the Bulls/Orlando/Atlanta/Celtics spots in the next 2 years I think.

I'm not sure about the Bulls, they are still a quite young team. D. ROSE is only 23. Deng is 27. Noah is 27, and the still have Mirotic coming and Asik, the Bulls have about another 5 to 7 years.

sixer04fan
12-13-2011, 05:47 PM
I definitely think we gave the Heat the toughest test in the playoffs out of the other teams in the East. I agree with whoever said that. And I watched all of the playoffs. We gave them a lot of trouble, even though they won in 5.

I also think part of it was that the Heat got better and better each round (until the finals obviously), but still.

PacersForLife
12-13-2011, 05:49 PM

Lol, Iggy might be a better all around player, but Granger is a far better scorer. The fact that you think this makes the Sixers better shows how much you know about basketball. I think Philly will be one spot behind the Pacers if everything pans out right. Meaning the Pacers get Jamal Crawford, we will be young and very deep, probably the deepest team in the league honestly. I'm not hating on the Sixers they are a good team, but they haven't made any major moves while the Pacers are making big moves and nobody knows how good our young guys can be exactly. Our coaching staff is also stacked.

CubbieBlueprint
12-13-2011, 05:50 PM
Bulls didn't get any better! They're going to fall. They easily could be put out in the first round next season.

Hey ssshhh. You know nothing about development or what the Bulls need. the Bulls are only a good SG away.

mightybosstone
12-13-2011, 05:51 PM
As a Rockets fan, my team has a similar problem, so I feel like I'm as worthy to discuss the subject than anyone. The problem with both teams is that their two best players (Iggy/Brand and Martin/Scola) won't be around forever and are to the point where their games may take a dip soon and their younger talent (Holiday, Young, Williams, Meeks, Turner vs. Lowry, Lee, Patterson, Budinger, etc.) isn't good enough to carry the team by themselves. Also, neither team has a very good center at this point.

Without a major addition or a major roster shakeup, both teams are doomed to mediocrity surrounded by teams in both conferences that are nowhere near as deep but are far more talented. Both teams could potentially get a seed in the 5-7 range this season, but neither team will get past the second round and neither team will be taken seriously.

So to answer the OP's question, I don't see this current group of Sixers players breaking into the top four barring some major injuries in their conference, a major unforeseen roster move or someone like Holliday, Turner or Young breaking out and becoming a legit No. 1 scorer (which I don't see happening). Right now the Heat, Celtics, Bulls, Knicks and Pacers are all better teams, and it will be at least two years before they'll have a legit shot. And at that point, Iggy will be a FA and Brand will be 33.

PacersForLife
12-13-2011, 05:54 PM
I definitely think we gave the Heat the toughest test in the playoffs out of the other teams in the East. I agree with whoever said that. And I watched all of the playoffs. We gave them a lot of trouble, even though they won in 5.

I also think part of it was that the Heat got better and better each round (until the finals obviously), but still.

Same thing can be said about the Pacers against the #1 seeded Bulls last year, plus we are most likely adding 2 proven veterans.

PacersForLife
12-13-2011, 05:55 PM
The Rockets and Sixers remind of each other for some reason, they are good teams, but are missing a piece or two.

TheNumber37
12-13-2011, 05:56 PM
I'd say one number once draft pick from 96 away.

bholly
12-13-2011, 05:56 PM
I think 'expecting' top 4 might be a touch optimistic, but I expect we finish above the Knicks.

PhillyFaninLA
12-13-2011, 05:57 PM
Same thing can be said about the Pacers against the #1 seeded Bulls last year, plus we are most likely adding 2 proven veterans.

Actually the Heat played the Bulls tougher because they beat the Bulls, you couldn't play them tougher than anyone in the East did if they didn't make the finals.

edit:

The original point for those that read this and don't know the context was the Sixers played the Heat tougher in the playoffs then anyone in East. So Pacersforlife implies the Pacers played the Bulls tougher then anyone else in the playoffs. Then my comment here. Just want people to have full context.

Kashmir13579
12-13-2011, 05:58 PM

That proves nothing.

sjbirds
12-13-2011, 06:00 PM
^Good point on the bench, but still I wouldn't touch Brand or West with a ten foot poll....Both are always hurt! And would have to disagree on Turner i think Paul George has more upside than him

brand isnt always hurt... he had a 2 year span with injuries but since then he has played in 76 and 81 games...and the 3 years befor the injury he played in 81 79 and 80....

theDISH
12-13-2011, 06:16 PM
Whats with the Brand injury talk. He had 1 injured season with LA and and freak shoulder injury his first year here where he just landed awkwardly. Brand was a beast last season, esp in the playoffs just ask Bosh. Holiday is def better then Collison and I originally wanted to draft Collison over Holiday. David West isnt some super star player, hes had 1 all star year and he had Paul as his PG. West is good and all but certainly dont make the Pacers a contender or anything. I think we will know a lot about the Sixers after the 5 game road trip to start the season

EaglesJackson10
12-13-2011, 06:32 PM
That proves nothing.

Ok well the Knicks were a .500 team after they acquired Carmelo and on top of that they lost Chauncey. Sixers were a better team at the end of last season and I don't see how much the Knicks have done to change that. They've only gotten worse. I really don't get the expectations around the Knicks. They don't play defense and were a worse team last year after the Carmelo trade. Is Tyson Chandler really that big of a difference? I would take getting Chauncey back over signing Chandler if I am the Knicks.

danniboi168
12-13-2011, 06:34 PM
Ok well the Knicks were a .500 team after they acquired Carmelo and on top of that they lost Chauncey. Sixers were a better team at the end of last season and I don't see how much the Knicks have done to change that. They've only gotten worse.

lol ok.

EaglesJackson10
12-13-2011, 06:39 PM
lol ok.

Good argument. People just act like this is a great team because they have two superstars but they don't have a lot of depth and don't really commit to playing D. If they trade for CP3 that's a different story but they don't have the assets necessary to make that deal happen. This team is completely over hyped because of the superstars and the fact they are from New York.

mightybosstone
12-13-2011, 06:40 PM
The Rockets and Sixers remind of each other for some reason, they are good teams, but are missing a piece or two.

See my post on the previous page and you'll see why. Both teams have players of similar ages, talent levels and contract situations (Martin/Scola and Iggy/Brand) who aren't good enough to lead a contender and will be either off the team or too old by the time their young talent develops. And both teams have good, but not great young talent. Aside from possibly Holliday and Lowry, I don't know that either team has a player capable of being a legit No. 1, and I really don't think either of those guys will ever reach that level.

Both teams are essentially stuck in mediocrity for the next 3-4 seasons unless they make some major changes or get insanely lucky with their young players.

PhillyFaninLA
12-13-2011, 06:48 PM
Good argument. People just act like this is a great team because they have two superstars but they don't have a lot of depth and don't really commit to playing D. If they trade for CP3 that's a different story but they don't have the assets necessary to make that deal happen. This team is completely over hyped because of the superstars and the fact they are from New York.

I don't meant this as rude as it sounds but do you notice most of us Sixers fans support what we say and most Knicks fans reply like that.

sixer04fan
12-13-2011, 06:59 PM

Except for the Heat lol. But I understand your point. The Pacers did look good against the Bulls, and gave them a really tough time in basically every game. I know the Pacers are legit, I was paying attention to you guys as you were climbing up the standings behind us last year after both of our slow starts.

ttam68
12-13-2011, 08:01 PM
People need to consider the effect a shortened season will have on older teams/players. This year could be a breakout year for Philly, or another .500 campaign.

But, I wouldn't trust Rondo and Jeff Green to carry the Celtics on back to back to back nights. Orlando is imploding, and has a mediocre and aging supporting cast anyway. NY is a wild card. I like Tyson Chandler and they can still pick up a pg or role players.

I see two groups:

Miami
Chicago

Atlanta
Orlando
NY
Philly
Boston

We could easily be a top 3 seed this season. But we won't be true contenders unless either Jrue or Turner turn into stars and we get a defensive big or two.

Kashmir13579
12-13-2011, 08:04 PM
Ok well the Knicks were a .500 team after they acquired Carmelo and on top of that they lost Chauncey. Sixers were a better team at the end of last season and I don't see how much the Knicks have done to change that. They've only gotten worse. I really don't get the expectations around the Knicks. They don't play defense and were a worse team last year after the Carmelo trade. Is Tyson Chandler really that big of a difference? I would take getting Chauncey back over signing Chandler if I am the Knicks.

foolish post. Assuming you're a Philly homer. *moves on*

Kashmir13579
12-13-2011, 08:06 PM
I don't meant this as rude as it sounds but do you notice most of us Sixers fans support what we say and most Knicks fans reply like that.

Danniboi is actually a great poster. "lol ok" is pretty much all you can say to a post like that.

PacersForLife
12-13-2011, 08:13 PM
Actually the Heat played the Bulls tougher because they beat the Bulls, you couldn't play them tougher than anyone in the East did if they didn't make the finals.

edit:

The original point for those that read this and don't know the context was the Sixers played the Heat tougher in the playoffs then anyone in East. So Pacersforlife implies the Pacers played the Bulls tougher then anyone else in the playoffs. Then my comment here. Just want people to have full context.

Well the Heat still beat your Sixers and got beat by the Mavericks so what is your exact point? :confused:

Raph12
12-13-2011, 08:16 PM
Considering the fact that the top 4 teams are the Heat, Bulls, Knicks and Celts; they'd still have to beat out the Magic and Indiana... Oh and if Dwight leaves the Magic for the Nets, then the Nets would be ahead of them as well.

EaglesJackson10
12-13-2011, 08:31 PM
Danniboi is actually a great poster. "lol ok" is pretty much all you can say to a post like that.

Why? I assume you're a Knicks homer. What did I say that wasn't true. Were the Knicks really that great after they acquired Melo last year? I mean where is the confidence in this team coming from? I don't get how thinking the Knicks are overrated makes me a Philly homer. That doesn't make any sense. This is why I don't post in the NBA forum often because you can't make an argument against one of these teams with a lot of fans on this site without getting attacked for being a "homer". Even when it doesn't make a lot of sense.

Eagles4Lyfe
12-13-2011, 08:33 PM
Naww don't think so

sixer04fan
12-13-2011, 08:45 PM
Well the Heat still beat your Sixers and got beat by the Mavericks so what is your exact point? :confused:

Are the Mavericks "in the East"?

blahblahyoutoo
12-13-2011, 10:42 PM
granger > iggy

Swashcuff
12-13-2011, 11:46 PM
Lol, Iggy might be a better all around player, but Granger is a far better scorer. The fact that you think this makes the Sixers better shows how much you know about basketball. I think Philly will be one spot behind the Pacers if everything pans out right. Meaning the Pacers get Jamal Crawford, we will be young and very deep, probably the deepest team in the league honestly. I'm not hating on the Sixers they are a good team, but they haven't made any major moves while the Pacers are making big moves and nobody knows how good our young guys can be exactly. Our coaching staff is also stacked.

I'd like to hear you make a case for Granger being better than Iggy solely because of scoring because in terms of overall offensive production and OBVIOUSLY defense Iguodala is way more valuable to his team than Granger is to his. One must never underestimate the impact and effect of D and the affect a player has on the game when he isn't scoring the ball.

I don't believe you'll reply to this part of my post however. Would you prove me wrong?

What big moves have you made? David West? That's far from a big move. Even at this stage in his career Elton Brand produced at a higher rate than West did last season.

As far as depth goes the mere fact that we're retaining almost our entire bench from last season with speak volumes this upcoming season. We had one of the best bench units in the league last season and two players whom of which could go off for 20 on any given night in Thaddeus Young and Louis Williams. Either way in terms of depth that's something Philly certainly isn't going to be lacking.

Swashcuff
12-13-2011, 11:50 PM
Are the Mavericks "in the East"?

That had me scratching my head :laugh2:

It's not about being a blind 76ers fans thinking we played the Heat the toughest among the EC teams. Many of the announcers were talking about that series and the way we played them deeper into the playoffs. We really gave the Heat a ran for their money and a solid showing in 4 out of those 5 games.

BradfordIsElite
12-14-2011, 12:52 AM
The Pacers have the potential to compete with the Sixers as two teams that could surprise a bit and move up in the seedings but both teams still lack star power which will hold them back towards the end.

The Sixers do have very good depth and players with plently of potential. They just need a lot of things to go right. I view them just above Indiana to this point.

Collison/Hill, Rush/George, Granger, West/Hansborough, Hibbert should definitely form a very competitive squad though.

koreancabbage
12-14-2011, 01:19 AM
Pacers for sure are the better team.

Reptar
12-14-2011, 02:03 AM
Pacer fans are ridiculous.

Holiday
Iguodala
Brand
Thad Young
Lou Williams
Evan Turner

Pacers don't have that much talent on their roster. Were better at every position except center.

abe_froman
12-14-2011, 02:09 AM
a superstar player away,they have solid players but no "the man" type of guy that you need to be in upper echelon.right now they're behind chi,mia,c's,ny,atl,orl,indy

Reptar
12-14-2011, 02:11 AM
Were a shot blocking/rebounding center away from competing with anyone. If we had a shot blocker we would have by far the best D in the league.

SeoulBeatz
12-14-2011, 02:23 AM
I have a strong feeling Jrue is gonna step up big time this year and that (along with E.T's development) will decide where we end up in the standings. Just everything I've heard from camp and how he's progressed. In my homeristic opinion, I honestly think he's got all the tools to be a #1 option, I know many don't feel the same way.

6' 4" 210, he's one of the biggest PG's in the league, good 3 point shooter, crafty scoring and court vision, and a solid defender. He def needs to work on his decision making at times though but that will come with time. Really reminds me of Chauncey Billups but much more athletic. Just the pace at which he plays the game, he definitely lets everything come to him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdEK_tF1M1M

Beltrans Mole
12-14-2011, 02:23 AM

Holiday
Iguodala
Brand
Thad Young
Lou Williams
Evan Turner

Pacers don't have that much talent on their roster. Were better at every position except center.

What does talent really mean in the NBA? Every team technically has "talent". It's a group of 12 guys who are all pretty friggin' good at playing basketball....every single team has names that people know and recognize. I think the Pacers are better than the Sixers. They played very well down the stretch last year and they have potential. I went to a Knicks/Pacers game at the Garden last year (one of Melo's first few games) and the Pacers completely dominated us. Hansbrough and Hibbert were unstoppable plus Granger, Collison, etc. The Sixers have a solid core but I'm more afraid to face the Pacers going into this season.

EaglesJackson10
12-14-2011, 02:24 AM
Were a shot blocking/rebounding center away from competing with anyone. If we had a shot blocker we would have by far the best D in the league.

Not so much. Iggy and Jrue are both great defenders for their position. Iggy is possibly the best defensive player in the league but other than that the defense isn't that great. We're undersized at the 4. We don't really have a 2 guard that can guard, our centers are immobile, and the guys who come off the bench despite being good scorers are not great defenders. A elite shot blocker would give us a very good defense but not even close to by far the best in the league.

SeoulBeatz
12-14-2011, 02:29 AM
What does talent really mean in the NBA? Every team technically has "talent". It's a group of 12 guys who are all pretty friggin' good at playing basketball....every single team has names that people know and recognize. I think the Pacers are better than the Sixers. They played very well down the stretch last year and they have potential. I went to a Knicks/Pacers game at the Garden last year (one of Melo's first few games) and the Pacers completely dominated us. Hansbrough and Hibbert were unstoppable plus Granger, Collison, etc. The Sixers have a solid core but I'm more afraid to face the Pacers going into this season.

I agree.

Indy's roster is more balanced than the Sixers at this point because they have a legit center.

I think it'll be an interesting matchup for sure though.

EaglesJackson10
12-14-2011, 02:33 AM
Pacers for sure are the better team.

How so? Both teams are essentially the same as last year. A year where the Sixers were 4 games better than the Pacers despite a 3-13 start. After the first 16 games last year the Sixers were 38-28 while the Pacers were 28-38. You can guys argue starting 5 and talent all you want but you need to realize that your views on your own teams views are really bias because you see them a lot. For example I think that Jrue Holiday is a far superior player to Darren Collison and Iggy is a better player than Granger but I'm sure Pacers fans would think differently. These individual matchups aren't all that important any way. How the teams play together is more important. The results were their for the Sixers last season vs. the current rosters of the Knicks and Pacers. Thing obviously change but the Sixers are essentially the same team who just gained a years worth of experience (beneficial to a young team).

Bulls_fan90
12-14-2011, 02:55 AM
Not very close.

pacersfan1967
12-14-2011, 09:22 AM
I think the pacers have improved we got better forwards now...I see us competing for the conference championship..

thekmp211
12-14-2011, 09:40 AM
philly needs an exciting young big man to really threaten at that next step.

what is the deal with granger these days. is he still a trade candidate or does he need to build that value up again?

JOSKOMANG4
12-14-2011, 10:22 AM
Okay.. based on current rosters:

1- Heat
2- Bulls
3- Knicks
4- Celtics
5- Hawks
6- Pacers

7-8 spots would be a toss up but in the end, the sixers would probably land of the last 2 remaining spots.

Jetsguy
12-14-2011, 10:22 AM
They are young an talented but as of now I dont see them as better than

Heat
Bulls
Knicks
Celtics
Magic

Same tier as

Hawks
Pacers
76ers

If/when the Magic lose Dwight and when KG/Ray/Pierce fall apart in a year or two they will most likely be top 4 if those teams dont re-load

thekmp211
12-14-2011, 10:26 AM
both of these teams have to pass atlanta before they are even nominal contenders. some of us need to slow our roll.

LongIslandIcedZ
12-14-2011, 10:48 AM

Thank god you are not the Knicks lol.

I do think with the hiring of the new Defensive Coordinator, and some solid defensive players this will be a better defensive team. Chandler is gonna help A'mare out so much down low I think Stat is going to have a great year. I like the Sixers and I think it would be cool if a team like that succeeded, but to say the Knicks have gotten worse is laughable.

nycericanguy
12-14-2011, 10:58 AM
I have them 5th in the eastern conference standings topic at 46 - 20 this is assuming all rosters are as is and no injuries.

no way 46-20 makes you a 5th seed, thats a #1 or #2 seed.

And while I like PHI 46-20 is insane expectations. I think 34-36 wins is more like it.

IND is better, I think PHI is #6-8.

avon_barksdale
12-14-2011, 11:01 AM
until they get a center they aint goin nowhere

theDISH
12-14-2011, 12:49 PM

Everybody is unstoppable against the Knicks. Pretty sure I can go for 20 on them

EaglesJackson10
12-14-2011, 12:53 PM
Thank god you are not the Knicks lol.

I do think with the hiring of the new Defensive Coordinator, and some solid defensive players this will be a better defensive team. Chandler is gonna help A'mare out so much down low I think Stat is going to have a great year. I like the Sixers and I think it would be cool if a team like that succeeded, but to say the Knicks have gotten worse is laughable.

At the end of last season I was told for months that the Knicks would be so much better once Chauncey returned healthy now it's not even a big deal that he's gone? I don't see how losing an experienced PG, the most important position in D'antoni's offense, could make them any better. Chandler is good but would you really rather have him or Billups?

Lol I actually know what you're going to say now but I'm sure that response would be different if you lost Chandler and acquired Billups.

pacersfan1967
12-14-2011, 01:30 PM

Holiday
Iguodala
Brand
Thad Young
Lou Williams
Evan Turner

Pacers don't have that much talent on their roster. Were better at every position except center.I actuly think the pacers well surprise some people I think they could be up to a 3 seed ..But settle down around 5 ...No way does the sixers move up in seeding they haven't done nothing same team...while at Indiana we've improved pluse hibbert been practising with tim duncan at san antonio...

Byronicle
12-14-2011, 01:46 PM
Indiana and Philly's are the East's Memphis and Denver (after Melo trade and before lockout)

He115ing
12-14-2011, 02:13 PM
I still think that they have some time before they get to the 4 spot. They need to land a legit superstar if they want to really compete for the championship. it is apparent that Iggy cant carry a team. Turner I think is going to be a bust. I predict their record to be worst than last year.

AllBall
12-14-2011, 03:00 PM
Not close.

Indiana has gotten significantly better with their off season moves and some more rumored to be happening that would cement their status above the 76ers.

I still think the top 4 will remain the same, unless Dwight leaves to NJ then I would slide NJ into Orlando's spot, Knicks will be 5th, then Indiana then the 76ers.

Anyways, that 4th spot is very fluid right now as Orlando and NJ are still trying to make moves.

Chronz
12-14-2011, 03:32 PM
I have a feeling Brand completely falls off this year

John Walls Era
12-14-2011, 03:35 PM

Really? I like the Eagles, but hows the season?

I think Heat, Knicks, Bulls and Celtics are still the top 4. Magic next as well as long as they have Dwight. Maybe in a year or 2 when Celtics are too old.

BklynKnicks3
12-14-2011, 03:43 PM
They are alot closer to lottery then contention is this a joke?

Hustla23
12-14-2011, 04:19 PM
I'd say they're pretty close. I actually really like the team Philly has been putting together over the years.

Holiday
Turner
Iggy
Brand
Hawes

is one of the most complete lineups in the league in terms of offense and defense. And then guys like Speights, Williams, and Brand give them great depth and youth.

What they're missing is elite talent but given they have players like Speights, Turner, and Holiday with yet even greater upside, the potential for this team is very high.

Reptar
12-14-2011, 04:56 PM
Speightsy gettin mentioned. Lol

seikou8
12-14-2011, 05:21 PM
At the end of last season I was told for months that the Knicks would be so much better once Chauncey returned healthy now it's not even a big deal that he's gone? I don't see how losing an experienced PG, the most important position in D'antoni's offense, could make them any better. Chandler is good but would you really rather have him or Billups?

Lol I actually know what you're going to say now but I'm sure that response would be different if you lost Chandler and acquired Billups.

overating billups much come on he is not the guy in mike system. the knicks had really 2 stars 1 good players and a bunch of role and d league players.this year the add tyson chander bibby and also are geting more players of of free acency make your judgement after this season.