PDA

View Full Version : Are the Dallas Mavericks the Favorite to Repeat?

JordansBulls
12-13-2011, 03:12 PM
http://espn.go.com/nba/transactions

http://espn.go.com/nba/team/roster/_/name/dal/dallas-mavericks

Are the Dallas Mavericks the Favorite to Repeat?

They lost Barea, Chandler, Stevenson, Butler to name a few while adding Carter, Wright, Odom to name a few.

nickdymez
12-13-2011, 03:12 PM
I think so.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
12-13-2011, 03:17 PM
no lol

Cal827
12-13-2011, 03:22 PM
Well, they are the only team in the nba with a chance to repeat so I would call them the favorites to do so :D..

In all seriousness, hell no are they winning it again. OKC and Memphis should be better and dirk will be more exposed on the defensive end w/o chandler. Also include a possible opponent in MIA or CHI.

RLundi
12-13-2011, 03:23 PM
Typically, I would say yes, but I'm not sure I could bet against Miami after what happened last year.

avon_barksdale
12-13-2011, 03:23 PM
ima go wit the heat... as much as i hate to say that ****

Chacarron
12-13-2011, 03:24 PM
The HeaT :P are the favorites to repeat in my opinion.

nickdymez
12-13-2011, 03:28 PM
Well, they are the only team in the nba with a chance to repeat so I would call them the favorites to do so :D..

In all seriousness, hell no are they winning it again. OKC and Memphis should be better and dirk will be more exposed on the defensive end w/o chandler. Also include a possible opponent in MIA or CHI.

10 years later? Chandler was the only real lose they took. Picking up Lamar was big for them.

ChiSoxJuan
12-13-2011, 03:28 PM
Barea was the main reason they won it so I have to say no. But I don't think the Heat should be favs either. They got a lot of big shots out of their role players & I just don't think that's likely to happen again. So if Lebron still can't hit the big shots on the biggest stage they'll lose to the Bulls.

AndyfromNeptune
12-13-2011, 03:29 PM
Whatever team has a healthy Andrew Bynum, Dwight Howard, Tyson Chandler, Kendrick Perkins, or insert decent defending center here ____will win the championship.

I'm calling it right now (homer pick!) : The New York Knicks are gonna beat the Lakers in the finals in 7 games ! =)))

PhillyFaninLA
12-13-2011, 03:29 PM
I have a personal philosophy that says after winning a title you are the team to beat and best in the game until it is impossible for you to repeat. So on that level I'd say yes they are.

I voted for Miami in the poll because on other level, a logical level not a philosophical one I believe Miami and OKC are better especially with the loss of Chandler.

jewno
12-13-2011, 03:30 PM
lol they won cause lebron choked no other reason werent even that good.

B-Ray
12-13-2011, 03:30 PM

This. Thread title is not worded very well.

I don't think the Mavs will be favourites to win it all going into the season.

nickdymez
12-13-2011, 03:40 PM
lol they won cause lebron choked no other reason werent even that good.

They beat Denver, swept the lakers, and beat OKC... Are you serious?

Tanakid777
12-13-2011, 03:45 PM

Blazers not Nugets, but don't even acknowledge that kind of ignorance. Anyway, I'm going with Miami, followed by Dallas, then OKC

jewno
12-13-2011, 03:45 PM

lol denver? really are you serious??? or high idk man.

jewno
12-13-2011, 03:47 PM
Blazers not Nugets, but don't even acknowledge that kind of ignorance. Anyway, I'm going with Miami, followed by Dallas, then OKC

its not ignorance its fact, anyone who watched that series sees lebron clearly choked and that was the major reason why they lost.

Aust
12-13-2011, 03:52 PM
They basically gave Miami the freaking trophy by not resigning their FA ESPECIALLY CHANDLER. Are you kidding me?! For what? The off chance you'll get Dwight?

topdog
12-13-2011, 03:57 PM
I would vote "no" but I don't like the rider attached to that response. I like the Lakers' chances and even Boston as more complete teams (at the moment).

gatkins11
12-13-2011, 04:04 PM
I don't think they will repeat.

Pakman
12-13-2011, 04:06 PM
Heat vs thunder finals.

nycsports2
12-13-2011, 04:09 PM
i got the heat this yr unfortunatley but you never know theres alot of good teams out there

Ebbs
12-13-2011, 04:13 PM
Honestly if Haywood mans up we are probably better off with additions of Odom and Carter.

The problem is he played below his ability the last 2 years. Hopefully he steps up now

Mr.B
12-13-2011, 04:14 PM
I'm a Mavs fan and I don't think they will repeat. This is basically a throw away year for them. Cuban has aquired a ton of players on 1 year deals with the thought of going after one of the big 3 FA's next off season (Daron Williams, Dwight Howard, or Chris Paul). The Mavs will be about $30 mil under the cap.

One thing you guys have to realize about this season is that even though it will be a shorter season it's going to be more of a grind on the players because of the number of back to backs. The younger teams are going to be better off. With that being said I didn't vote for either option above. I think Oklahoma has the best shot. They're young and hungry! Miami won't win it until Labron can prove that he won't choke in the 4th quarter of every big playoff game. I think it's going to be Oklahoma and Chicago in the Finals with Oklahoma winning it all.

iggypop123
12-13-2011, 04:16 PM
one and done. great teams dont repeat. doesnt mean you arent good but this is more pistons than spurs or lakers

Lakers + Giants
12-13-2011, 04:17 PM
No. Miami and OKC are better.

Baller1
12-13-2011, 04:27 PM
OKC and Miami are both better. Lakers and Boston will always be right there. Memphis is only going to get better. Chicago is right there on Miami's level. New York is quickly putting together a great squad.

Dallas will be good, but they aren't the favorites.

UPRock
12-13-2011, 04:32 PM
No, the Heat are once again the favorites, and I hope this time they win the Championship.

Iron24th
12-13-2011, 04:37 PM
No.
The East could be more competitive than the West this year.

sacphil_08
12-13-2011, 04:38 PM
People act like the mavs are losing so much with chandler gone... while he is definitely a better center than haywood, the addition of lamar odom gives them the ability to bring shawn marion in off the bench and start odom at the 3 so that they have basically 3 7 footers on the floor at the same time. odom will be down there grabbing rebounds and creating all kinds of mismatches on the perimeter. they also picked up rudy fernandez along with vince carter who can give them points off the bench and just adds depth to an already stacked team and dont forget about jason terry and also beaubois... he may not be quite the pg that barea is but he is just as fast and a more capable scorer to boot. the heat havent improved at all really (dont tell me battier makes them so much better) they dont have a backup pg and their best center is still joel anthony... they won't do it. theyll be lucky to get by chicago in the playoffs this year imo. dallas is the team to beat out west most definitely. okc will be legit but they wont be better off than dallas. book it

wjmoffatt
12-13-2011, 04:38 PM
I would put the Thunder, Grizzles, and Portland ahead of them.

sacphil_08
12-13-2011, 04:41 PM
its not ignorance its fact, anyone who watched that series sees lebron clearly choked and that was the major reason why they lost.

sorry but you are a misinformed idiot... lebron chocked and theres no reason to believe that will change at this point

nickdymez
12-13-2011, 04:43 PM
No, the Heat are once again the favorites, and I hope this time they win the Championship.

Losers aren't the favorites, the winners are.

ChiSoxJuan
12-13-2011, 04:46 PM
All voters for Miami are dumb. Only Dal can repeat so they are obviously the favorites :) If the title changes to favorites to "win it this year" then my vote is Chicago. I think the shortened season plays to our advantage with our Big strength. They'll have plenty of time to rest before rd 1, & there will be less mileage on them when they do.

marj987
12-13-2011, 04:48 PM
they are favorites, but I think OKC, and Memphis (with a healthy Rudy Gay) are poised to represent the west this season, but I got the bulls winning it all this year.

Spiderman 1nner
12-13-2011, 05:01 PM
I don't even think they're the favorites in the west.. If Kevin Durant doesn't let westbrook run the show, the thunder will beat either the knicks or the heat in the NBA finals, but if westbrook takes 30+ shots a game, i'm going to make a bold prediction here and say the clippers will come outta the west. I can see them getting off to a hot start and Dwight Howard opening his big mouth and saying he will play there. Clips management hears this and gets the deal done without giving up Gordon. But even if that doesn't happen, deandre Jordan showed some real potential in his limited minutes last season, they might not even need Howard to be honest. I expect Jordan to supplant kaman as the starter very early in the season.

ThuglifeJ
12-13-2011, 05:44 PM
Not at all imo. Repeating is hard unless u have a super dynasty.
Mavs will be good though come playoff time

we will see.

Hawkeye15
12-13-2011, 05:48 PM
No, I don't think so.

Btw, you didn't need to add the Heat comment to the no. Just because someone doesn't think the Mavs won't repeat doesn't mean their personal choice is the Heat.

billsftw
12-13-2011, 05:51 PM
well there's only one team that can REPEAT so yess.. they are.

RCarlson85
12-13-2011, 05:56 PM
No way. Chandler was a very important piece to their championship team and to a lesser extent so was Barea. I think Chandler was the 2nd most important player after Dirk since he provided the interior toughness, defense, and rebounding. They are going to really miss him. Barea also allowed Kidd to get more rest so it will be interesting to see how that plays out.

mightybosstone
12-13-2011, 06:00 PM
Honestly if Haywood mans up we are probably better off with additions of Odom and Carter.

The problem is he played below his ability the last 2 years. Hopefully he steps up now

I think Haywood at least gives them a chance, but the problem I see is that they played so unbelievably well for the playoffs last year and I don't see them keeping up that same level of play for an entire postseason again. Also consider how old that team is and the fact that Haywood, Kidd, Marion, Dirk, Odom and Terry are all 32 or older. What are the chances that they go into the postseason during a compressed 66-game season with all six of those guys at 100 percent?

Their age and the development of the Thunder make it hard for me to pick the Mavericks out of the Western Conference. And I really don't think they could beat the Heat again if they played a seven game series tomorrow...

Avenged
12-13-2011, 06:01 PM
So if I don't think the Mavs are the favorite, I have to think the Heat are? Very limited poll options.

3mikee_
12-13-2011, 06:02 PM
Neither of them.. but Dallas aint winning without Chandler.. the only reason why they won was because of him.

RCarlson85
12-13-2011, 06:10 PM
So if I don't think the Mavs are the favorite, I have to think the Heat are? Very limited poll options.

Yep, those are the options. Choose wisely. LOL

NoahH
12-13-2011, 07:04 PM
No way. I'd take Miami, Chicago, OKC, maybe even New York and hell, LA Clippers look good (call me crazy) over Dallas.

John Walls Era
12-13-2011, 07:09 PM
Vegas has them at 5, but I actually see them at 2 behind the Heat after the Odom trade and barring any superstar getting traded to the Lakers.

Miami Heat 3.350
Los Angeles Lakers 4.000
Chicago Bulls 7.200
Oklahoma City Thunder 8.000
Dallas Mavericks 10.500

mightybosstone
12-13-2011, 07:12 PM
Neither of them.. but Dallas aint winning without Chandler.. the only reason why they won was because of him.

I don't agree with this at all, and I don't know how anyone who watched them in the playoffs could think that way. Look at the team's playoff numbers and you'll see what I'm talking about...

http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/DAL/2011.html

Obviously Dirk stands out and Chandler's numbers are good, but look how good Terry was in the postseason. 17.5 points on .478/.442/.843 shooting percentages with a 20.3 PER and a .179 WS/48. The dude played out of his mind, and I think you could ague he was more valuable than Chandler was in the postseason.

Bottom line, if the Mavericks didn't shoot lights out and Terry didn't step up, it wouldn't have mattered if Chandler was starting or not...

BALKIS2K12
12-13-2011, 07:29 PM
Dallas aint winning shiat without BAREA this is FACT! He was the only guy who drove to the basket in the playoffs.

Dallas doesnt have anyone on that team who drives to the basket just a bunch of jump shooters.

vince carter is their only hope.

blastmasta26
12-13-2011, 07:37 PM
A year older, lost defensive presences in Chandler and Butler (although he was injured in the playoffs), and lost a key player in Barea. A healthy Beaubois and the addition of Odom could compensate somewhat, but I don't think the personnel fits as well as it did last season. They could still win, but they are clearly not the favorite.

Nets/Raiders!
12-13-2011, 07:52 PM
We're not going to out-defend people like we did last year. We're going to outscore with a little bit of defense on the side. I remember Dallas had to defend it's way back into blowouts last year. Now hopefully we will be the ones blowing people out. Those low scoring games were the death of me.

Miami will have trouble beating Chicago if The Bulls get a shooting guard like Hamilton/Crawford. Miami is great but without a great PG or C, they are in deep ***.

If anybody will win this year if it's not the Mavs or Heat, it's the Bulls hands down.

Raph12
12-13-2011, 08:06 PM
Nope... The defending champs are usually the favs automatically, unless they mess with the roster significantly.

Vincent
12-13-2011, 08:08 PM
Nope... The defending champs are usually the favs automatically, unless they mess with the roster significantly.

But they did have roster turnover...

I think the Miami Heat are the favorites to win it, based on a hunch.

But it will be a competitive and fun season to watch.

Sevilla91
12-13-2011, 08:22 PM
does it really matter?

jewno
12-13-2011, 08:25 PM
Losers aren't the favorites, the winners are.

whos picking the mavs to win?? thats right no one. i will throw my life savings out the window if they repeat.

BlondeBomber41
12-14-2011, 02:11 AM
It's Miami, and I say that as a Mavs fan. The Mavs have a different roster and have to prove they can win with the new one, which I still don't believe their done with yet.

LA_Raiders
12-14-2011, 02:23 AM
NY and Chi have a great chance.... Lets wait to see where C3 and Howard land...

marj987
12-14-2011, 02:32 AM
Dallas aint winning shiat without BAREA this is FACT! He was the only guy who drove to the basket in the playoffs.

Dallas doesnt have anyone on that team who drives to the basket just a bunch of jump shooters.

vince carter is their only hope.

WHO ARE YOU!?!? First you were a Mavs fan, you were all over the Mavs forum and now your a timberwolves fan? Not only that but you were saying positive things about the Mavs now you're talking **** aboout them? :facepalm: