PDA

View Full Version : Howard says Otis Smith didnt surround him with the players he asked for

spreadeagle
12-13-2011, 03:28 AM
Dwight Howard continues to maintain that he’d love to play in Orlando going forward. The problem, according to the big fella, is the working relationship between himself and the front office.

Howard has never shied away from telling the Magic what (and who) he wants for the team to get better, he just thinks they don’t take his personnel suggestions seriously enough.

And that’s part of what’s led to him formally asking to be traded.

From the Orlando Sentinel:

The All-NBA center said that he would not be asking the team to trade him if Magic management, including General Manager Otis Smith, had done more to obtain the players Howard had asked them to acquire. “I’ve talked to a lot of guys and they’ve expressed a lot of interest and would come here,” Howard said. “And I’ve expressed that to the correct people, and none of it’s happened … The stuff that I’ve asked for, the stuff that I’ve felt our team needed to get better, none of it has happened,” Howard said. Was that because of a lack of effort? Or was it because the team didn’t have the trade assets — perhaps because of other moves Smith has made? “None of it has happened,” Howard only said.

Howard made his first trade request to [GM Otis Smith] last Monday. Howard also had, according to Smith, a two-hour conversation with Smith on Tuesday. But Howard said they haven’t spoken in recent days. “I’m pretty sure if you go down the line of teams, every GM has a pretty good relationship with not just the best player but all the players,” Howard said. “If you don’t have a good relationship with the people you work with, how are you guys going to get better? If there was a good relationship then I wouldn’t tell you guys [in the press] that we haven’t talked. We should still talk, regardless, no matter what goes on. I’ve been here for seven years. And no matter what happens, we still should be able to talk.”

Otis Smith acknowledges that Dwight Howard has wanted to get involved in the Magic’s personnel decisions, and claims that the team has accomodated him whenever possible (see: Glen “Big Baby” Davis).

At the moment, there’s very little contact between Orlando and its superstar center, as they explore possible trade opportunities. The relationship between Dwight Howard and Otis Smith — and thus, the entire organization — appears to be irreparably broken.

http://www.slamonline.com/online/nba/2011/12/dwight-howard-blames-magic-front-office-for-wanting-out/

Raph12
12-13-2011, 03:33 AM
Old news dude, Dwight also said he would consider staying if things change in Orlando... They may hold onto him to see how the season plays out and then trade him by the deadline if they're struggling.

Zefflin
12-13-2011, 03:37 AM
D12 is being talked about (he's also Shaqqing it up right now) in this off season more then any other player in NBA history. If the Lakers get him they will win the next 7 championships. haha

abe_froman
12-13-2011, 03:41 AM
this makes him come off as a brat who throws a fit when he doesnt get what he wants for xmas.now i dont think otis is a good gm but he is the gm. howard isnt,its not his business.

Raph12
12-13-2011, 03:44 AM
this makes him come off as a brat who throws a fit when he doesnt get what he wants for xmas.now i dont think otis is a good gm but he is the gm. howard isnt,its not his business.

Actually who he plays with is his business... If you don't believe in your teammates, you don't win. Period.

Otis does what Dwight does or he leaves, is it ethical, no, but do you do it anyways, hell yeah.

ThunderousDemon
12-13-2011, 03:46 AM
:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry: :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

abe_froman
12-13-2011, 03:47 AM
Actually who he plays with is his business... If you don't believe in your teammates, you don't win. Period.

Otis does what Dwight does or he leaves, is it ethical, no, but do you do it anyways, hell yeah.

he should believe in whoever his teammates are ,thats the act of a leader.isnt he suppose to be the leader of that team?

but yes,your right otis will start doing whatever dwight wants to try to keep him from leaving

rabzouz 96
12-13-2011, 03:47 AM
oh god, trade him already, its not like they have assets or cap room to get any pieces resembling a contender

seikou8
12-13-2011, 03:52 AM
he should believe in whoever his teammates are ,thats the act of a leader.isnt he suppose to be the leader of that team?

but yes,your right otis will start doing whatever dwight wants to try to keep him from leaving

sorry but your wrong you need to get all other the right peices like whn the magic did that stupid trade for arenas and turk you cant say that was smart

Wade>You
12-13-2011, 03:53 AM
Didn't Dwight want Gilbert Arenas? Could've sworn I read that somewhere.

spreadeagle
12-13-2011, 03:59 AM
Didn't Dwight want Gilbert Arenas? Could've sworn I read that somewhere.

and Turkoglu back

Punk
12-13-2011, 04:07 AM
He wanted Turk back. That isn't a problem, Dwight would admit (if he was in a room with you) that Turk ended up being a fail. He felt Gilbert could still help.

He did not want to trade Lewis. Which was a dumb trade. I heard he was pissed when the Magic didn't even make a move for Stephen Jackson.

pacman16
12-13-2011, 04:08 AM
so he's crying because the GM and management didn't listen to who HE wanted to bring in lol ****ing joke. your a player shut the **** up, if you want to be a GM then retire and be one

faridk89
12-13-2011, 04:28 AM

agreed, just like rose said...who the front office signs is who imma play with, and if you want me to go out and recruit players I wont. If they wanna come play with me they can go talk to the GM... Ross is a boss :clap:

iggypop123
12-13-2011, 04:32 AM
you dont want players as Gm's see jordan, kobe saying to ship out bynum for kidd and of course howard didnt agree with the amnesty of arenas.

Bulls_fan90
12-13-2011, 04:56 AM
I hate Dwight more than Lebron. What a diva.

rapjuicer06
12-13-2011, 09:25 AM
Dwight said he just wants to be listened to. He didn't want to trade Rashard for Gilbert, then he didn't want Gil to be cut because then it was completely pointless. He wanted Truk back when he was a free agent. He was giddy when Carter was brought in. He didn't want Carter shipped out, but when Hedo was brought back he was ok with it. Bringing in Richardson was stupid and a mistake though, and resigning him was also very stupid (neither in which Dwight wanted)

justinnum1
12-13-2011, 09:32 AM
Is howard an idiot? looking at his list. i cant blame smith for not getting those players

smith is a knuckle head
monta ellis is a knuckle head
big baby is immature

if dwight got what he wanted, that team would suck.

SteBO
12-13-2011, 09:35 AM
Dwight has been talking way too much........

tcav701
12-13-2011, 09:36 AM
This is why the NBA is a joke.

Why do players think they are GMs and think they can dictate who their company hires?

IndyRealist
12-13-2011, 09:42 AM
If glen davis is the caliber of player dwight wanted, then it's probably best no one was listening to him.

BranWingss
12-13-2011, 09:44 AM
He's a player, not a GM.

IndyRealist
12-13-2011, 09:46 AM
Dwight said he just wants to be listened to. He didn't want to trade Rashard for Gilbert, then he didn't want Gil to be cut because then it was completely pointless. He wanted Truk back when he was a free agent. He was giddy when Carter was brought in. He didn't want Carter shipped out, but when Hedo was brought back he was ok with it. Bringing in Richardson was stupid and a mistake though, and resigning him was also very stupid (neither in which Dwight wanted)

Jason Richardson is the best player mentioned. They still have him. Maybe, just maybe, Dwight doesn't understand the game very well. Maybe the front office knows that. Maybe they saw what happened in Cleveland when you let your star player dictate personnel moves.

ink
12-13-2011, 10:56 AM
I hate Dwight more than Lebron. What a diva.

In truth there's no reason not to be consistent. Dwight and Paul's actions are actually worse than Lebron's, who at least finished out his contract.

ink
12-13-2011, 10:57 AM
This is why the NBA is a joke.

Why do players think they are GMs and think they can dictate who their company hires?

Have to agree with that. Ironically I bet most of the league GMs would agree with you too. Totally ****ed system and it's brutally obvious now.

He's a player, not a GM.

Interesting how fans of other sports get this.

gwrighter
12-13-2011, 11:06 AM
You can't win as mgmt.

Players want to win, put pressure on FO -> FO swings risky deals bringing in specified players with the star's consent -> The team doesn't win -> FO blamed for being stupid and incompetent. This is the circular argument that is blaming MGMT. Most of the time the FO is trying to keep the star happy rather than making smart basketball decisions.

tcav701
12-13-2011, 11:09 AM
If he REALLY wanted to win, he'd resign for 5MIL a year.

ink
12-13-2011, 11:10 AM
If he REALLY wanted to win, he'd resign for 5MIL a year.

He doesn't want to win that bad. He wants to be able to have his cake and eat it too.

tcav701
12-13-2011, 11:11 AM
He doesn't want to win that bad. He wants to be able to have his cake and eat it too.

Oh so he's just like everyone else in the league, full of ****.

thephoenixson28
12-13-2011, 11:22 AM
Don't know how Lakers would get him next year, unless he decideds to play for a small amount of money.

Sadds The Gr8
12-13-2011, 11:27 AM
I can't believe this guy had the gall to rip Lebron so much, and now he's pulling this crap.

SteBO
12-13-2011, 11:30 AM
In truth there's no reason not to be consistent. Dwight and Paul's actions are actually worse than Lebron's, who at least finished out his contract.
Agree completely, but watch out....People will then say "at least he's letting them know now so they'll get something in return"

The Jokemaker
12-13-2011, 11:43 AM
This is freaking ridiculous. The NBA is really becoming a joke with these "stars" trying to run everything. They think they're the coach, GM, scout, and everything else these days and god forbid you don't bend to their will. You are a PLAYER. You let your GM find players and do what is best for your team. How about Dwight work on his shooting ability and free throws as much as he b****** about the GM not doing what he wants.

Spiderman 1nner
12-13-2011, 11:49 AM
Dwight Howard is a moron, most gm's won't even listen to their players as far as personnel goes let alone make the trades Otis has to surround Dwight with a team that can win. I don't like the trade he made last year but I see the rationale behind it. He saw the other teams in the east were getting better and they had no room to improve financially so he made a bold move and blew up the team for players he thought were still capable of performing at a high level. Sure it failed but at least he tried. Dwight needs a reality check cus the reason is not the players around him but cus he refuses to just bang it on people and draw a foul. He's soft! He's stronger than everyone and more athletic than any big man in the league yet he does some soft hook shot rather than go up strong and draw the foul. That's what made Shaq so great. Sure his free throw shooting was horrendous but he got another five points a game from free throws and got opposing players into foul trouble or even fouled them out. For some reason, Dwight won't do this and it just pisses me off to watch him play.

Raps18-19 Champ
12-13-2011, 11:57 AM
He's probably asking for ****ing stars.

It doesn't work like that Dwight. Maybe you should have gone to college to learn a couple things.

This guy is the worst out of all the stars that have left the last couple of years. He's the one that says his heart belongs in Orlando. Yet he meets with teams without the Magic knowing? The guy demands a trade too like he can do what he wants.

Avenged
12-13-2011, 12:05 PM
These guys are young that's the problem. Mostly every star has a tremendous ego especially at that age. Perfect example was Kobe who walked around like his **** didn't stink when he was younger. He still has that demeanor on the court but when it comes to the F.O he now stays out of it.

I do think a superstar players should have some say in what players to get or not to get, but they have to understand that it isn't always possible to go getting anyone they want.

Cal827
12-13-2011, 12:06 PM
I can't believe this guy had the gall to rip Lebron so much, and now he's pulling this crap.

This. I'm starting to lose respect for Coward. Lebron/Bosh at least played out their contracts.. Was the teams fault that they didn't trade them when they refused.. Neither ripped into management though.. hell in Toronto, Colangelo took parting shots at Bosh lol

Cal827
12-13-2011, 12:07 PM
Oh so he's just like everyone else in the league, full of ****.

As I said before, one day some player who truly wants to win is going to sign on to a stacked team for the minimum,despite being in their prime... and when that happens, PSD is gonna get mad. lol

GREATNESS ONE
12-13-2011, 12:37 PM
These guys are young that's the problem. Mostly every star has a tremendous ego especially at that age. Perfect example was Kobe who walked around like his **** didn't stink when he was younger. He still has that demeanor on the court but when it comes to the F.O he now stays out of it.

I do think a superstar players should have some say in what players to get or not to get, but they have to understand that it isn't always possible to go getting anyone they want.

The killer of man.

I agree with Howard in a way, what's with half these FO people having super stars and not trying to build a Championship team??? When you have a top 3 player in the world the goal every year is and should be Championship.

Raph12
12-13-2011, 12:40 PM

No the act of a leader is saying "Smush, Luke and Brown suck ***! Get me someone better", five seasons later you got Pau and 2 rings.

Alex Martins spoke to Dwight and reassured him he'd do what it takes to change the culture in Orlando, also told him he'd have more input on deals they make. He softened his tone significantly yesterday on Media day after that convo.

Raph12
12-13-2011, 12:45 PM
agreed, just like rose said...who the front office signs is who imma play with, and if you want me to go out and recruit players I wont. If they wanna come play with me they can go talk to the GM... Ross is a boss :clap:

Easy to say when your the #1 pick and get drafted into a situation with guys like Ben Gordon, John Salmons, Luol Deng, Joakim Noah, Kirk Hinrich, Tyrus Thomas, Drew Gooden, Larry Hughes, Brad Miller, etc... When you're in a good situation, you don't complain, when you are eliminated in the first round and significantly worse than you were 2 years prior, then you complain.

king4day
12-13-2011, 12:46 PM
This won't make things awkward between he and his current teammates.

Raph12
12-13-2011, 12:49 PM

No they still support him, he is close with all of them (Nelson, Turk, Redick, Baby, etc) and they understand his motives.

thunderforce
12-13-2011, 01:09 PM
This. I'm starting to lose respect for Coward. Lebron/Bosh at least played out their contracts.. Was the teams fault that they didn't trade them when they refused.. Neither ripped into management though.. hell in Toronto, Colangelo took parting shots at Bosh lol

If Bosh would have told the truth that he was leaving BC would have traded him for sure but he didn't he lied .

heyman321
12-13-2011, 01:23 PM
But Bosh wasn't a franchise player in hindsight, just a second tier star, it's good they let him go. Lebron or Howard on the otherhand....

ChicagoJ
12-13-2011, 01:33 PM
My view on howard has changed in the last few weeks. This guy has no place to try and dictate to his team what moves they should make. It's kind of like black male. Either bring the people I want here, or I'm gone. I can see how he wants a winning team, but your just a player. He's second guessing the moves his team makes which isn't his area of expertise. He should stick to doing his job which is playing basketball.

Raps18-19 Champ
12-13-2011, 01:36 PM
No they still support him, he is close with all of them (Nelson, Turk, Redick, Baby, etc) and they understand his motives.

Just because they are close friends, doesn't mean it doesn't change anything if something big goes down.

Lebron and Mo Williams were pretty good friends in Cleveland. Williams questions Lebron after he left. I'm sure if Lebron was to be back in Cleveland put put the Cavs through some hell, Mo would still question Lebron.

ink
12-13-2011, 01:39 PM
He's probably asking for ****ing stars.

It doesn't work like that Dwight. Maybe you should have gone to college to learn a couple things.

This guy is the worst out of all the stars that have left the last couple of years. He's the one that says his heart belongs in Orlando. Yet he meets with teams without the Magic knowing? The guy demands a trade too like he can do what he wants.

I know. It's hilarious. And the media should show some integrity (yeah, I know how stupid an idea that is) and realize that it does no one any good to interview someone that stupid without at least commenting on how naive he is. Sure Dwight, they should surround you with stars. That should be no problem. Happens every day. :rolleyes:

These guys are young that's the problem. Mostly every star has a tremendous ego especially at that age. Perfect example was Kobe who walked around like his **** didn't stink when he was younger.

Definitely. On both counts.

The killer of man.

I agree with Howard in a way, what's with half these FO people having super stars and not trying to build a Championship team??? When you have a top 3 player in the world the goal every year is and should be Championship.

Sorry but this is really funny.

Then they are imbeciles. He is basically ripping them and saying they are garbage. Nice workplace where the superstar pisses on his teammates. :laugh2:

I am finding all of this so pathetic it is becoming hilarious. The NBA is truly proving itself to be a league of complete idiots and they are pretty funny to listen to when they really get amped up.

ink
12-13-2011, 01:44 PM
Agree completely, but watch out....People will then say "at least he's letting them know now so they'll get something in return"

It is a complete double standard, which shows that fans just hate on the personality when the league is based on the CULT OF THE PERSONALITY. Something in Kobe attracts people even though he's easily as big a jerk as Lebron. Same with Paul and Howard. Both are considered "nice guys" and yet they are causing more disruption and damage with their whining than Lebron really ever did. I definitely don't support Lebron or any of his antics, but if he got "hate" the others deserve just as much if not more. Personally I'm furious with all of these spoiled morons for ruining the league.

Absolutely no doubt. :laugh:

Raph12
12-13-2011, 01:46 PM
Just because they are close friends, doesn't mean it doesn't change anything if something big goes down.

Lebron and Mo Williams were pretty good friends in Cleveland. Williams questions Lebron after he left. I'm sure if Lebron was to be back in Cleveland put put the Cavs through some hell, Mo would still question Lebron.

Lebron did it unexpectedly, Dwight has formally requested a trade, they know what to expect and won't be blindsided.

Then they are imbeciles. He is basically ripping them and saying they are garbage. Nice workplace where the superstar pisses on his teammates. :laugh2:

I am finding all of this so pathetic it is becoming hilarious. The NBA is truly proving itself to be a league of complete idiots and they are pretty funny to listen to when they really get amped up.

I have friends who know they aren't good players, they don't take it personally when I select others to play with in a tourni or something. Friendship will be there, they can understand why he's doing what he's doing and that's what matters.

This has been an ongoing issue throughout history, people pretend like this just started or something... Stars have big egos? OMG I didn't know that, it's such a new concept.

ink
12-13-2011, 01:51 PM
This has been an ongoing issue throughout history, people pretend like this just started or something... Stars have big egos? OMG I didn't know that, it's such a new concept.

Tail wagging dog. Yes, and everyone has always known they're idiots. It doesn't mean you let them run the show.

BigCityofDreams
12-13-2011, 01:54 PM
Who is the girl in your sig

swirl54
Hey Howard when you retire become a GM until then stfu and play the game

Ty Fast
they should have traded jameer nelson a couple seasons ago when his trade value was high.

pd1dish
12-13-2011, 01:56 PM
it really is a joke that a player, i dont care how big of a star, can go to his superior and DEMAND players A, B, and C, and then when that star doesnt get their way, they have a fit and want to go elsewhere. they still have too much power, the new CBA really didnt change anything in that aspect, and its only going to get worse the way things are going with the Howard and Paul situations.

im lucky to be a fan of a big market because the small ones just dont have a chance moving forward. their only hope is through the draft and then hope that they win before their star player(s) decide they can win elsewhere.

The Jokemaker
12-13-2011, 02:08 PM
it really is a joke that a player, i dont care how big of a star, can go to his superior and DEMAND players A, B, and C, and then when that star doesnt get their way, they have a fit and want to go elsewhere. they still have too much power, the new CBA really didnt change anything in that aspect, and its only going to get worse the way things are going with the Howard and Paul situations.

im lucky to be a fan of a big market because the small ones just dont have a chance moving forward. their only hope is through the draft and then hope that they win before their star player(s) decide they can win elsewhere.

It is a joke. And this all started because of Lebron and the way he had everyone in Cleveland bending over backwards to make sure he didn't leave. They basically tried to do whatever the "king" wanted. All the other stars saw this and think it should be the same for them. Monkey see monkey do.

rapjuicer06
12-13-2011, 02:11 PM
Just thought I'd point it out...Dwight isn't asking for stars. He's asking for players who give it there all. S-Jackson is not a star, Monta Ellis is not a star (will be though) Big Baby is not a star. I don't understand why people think he's asking for stars, because he's not

RLundi
12-13-2011, 02:12 PM
This is getting old.

At this point, just leave us in peace.

Vampirate
12-13-2011, 02:15 PM
Players these days have way too much power....

magichatnumber9
12-13-2011, 02:18 PM
Dwight's an *** hole

Da Knicks
12-13-2011, 02:31 PM

VERY GOOD QUESTION!:clap:

BigCityofDreams
12-13-2011, 03:30 PM
That's all I care about at this point :D. Forget D12 let that situation play out. More importantly we need more pics of the girl.

John Walls Era
12-13-2011, 03:40 PM
I actually dont have a problem with it if he is putting out a few suggestions and the GM ignored him, but its been clear that they got him Hedo and Gil. He needs to understand that the GM can't get him everything.

Raph12
12-13-2011, 03:40 PM
Dwight's an *** hole

Yet you'd flip your roster to have him... Nuff said.

Tail wagging dog. Yes, and everyone has always known they're idiots. It doesn't mean you let them run the show.

Yes I know that and you know that, but unfortunately, they do run the show.

VERY GOOD QUESTION!:clap:

That's all I care about at this point :D. Forget D12 let that situation play out. More importantly we need more pics of the girl.

I don't know her, saw it on a website and took it... Wish I did though, she looks like my GF, but white lol (not that I have anything against Filly's).

Raph12
12-13-2011, 03:48 PM
I actually dont have a problem with it if he is putting out a few suggestions and the GM ignored him, but its been clear that they got him Hedo and Gil. He needs to understand that the GM can't get him everything.

Gil was Otis' idea, apparently Otis has a father-son relationship with Gil... Dwight didn't want Shard traded, nor did he want Gil to ride the bench after Shard was traded.

He was upset when Gil was amnestied because he felt Gil had the potential to be the second best player on the team. Gil had gotten close with Dwight during the summer and really talked to him about his game and ****.

Dwight was mad that they didn't resign Turk, then more upset when they traded Lee, then more pissed when they traded Shard, then he was irate when they didn't make a play for Stephan Jackson and then the final straw that broke the camel's back was letting Gil go... Then they got Baby, resigned JRich and he had a convo with the CEO Alex Martins, who reassured him that he'd have more input in future deals; now he's softened his stance again.

BigCityofDreams
12-13-2011, 04:11 PM
Damn no more pics oh well one is better than nothing thanks man

John Walls Era
12-13-2011, 06:19 PM
Gil was Otis' idea, apparently Otis has a father-son relationship with Gil... Dwight didn't want Shard traded, nor did he want Gil to ride the bench after Shard was traded.

He was upset when Gil was amnestied because he felt Gil had the potential to be the second best player on the team. Gil had gotten close with Dwight during the summer and really talked to him about his game and ****.

Dwight was mad that they didn't resign Turk, then more upset when they traded Lee, then more pissed when they traded Shard, then he was irate when they didn't make a play for Stephan Jackson and then the final straw that broke the camel's back was letting Gil go... Then they got Baby, resigned JRich and he had a convo with the CEO Alex Martins, who reassured him that he'd have more input in future deals; now he's softened his stance again.

Ok

Like I said, I'm not going to complain if he demands a trade, if the Magic aren't willing to listen to him or at least explain to him why they aren't doing what he wants. GMs don't need to listen to their superstars, but they better be able to back up what they want to do.