PDA

View Full Version : Is the NBA really not balanced?

kjoke
12-13-2011, 01:21 AM
I was looking at the standings from last year and newly added players to some teams and I don't see that 'unfair league'

For example, each of these teams are able to win the title (some are long shots, but still are pretty good teams)

Chicago
Miami
Boston
Orlando
NY
LA Lakers
Dallas
OKC
San Antonio
Clippers (pending Paul trade)

Teams that are mid-playoff and some that have great talent

Atlanta
Philly
Indiana
Portland
Memphis
Minny
Houston
NJ
Golden State
Utah
Toronto
Sacramento
Denver

Teams that are lower fringe

Cleveland
Detroit
Charlotte
Washington
Phoenix
Milwaukee
NO

Some of the top teams for the past decades are dropping down (SA) and others are rising up (Clippers) as examples. Find me a league that balanced. Of course there are going to be differences between teams, but I don't even think hockey is this balanced. Lets not focus on the bottom 7 teams that everyone complains about, but the middle teams that are getting better and with right management can win.

Sadds The Gr8
12-13-2011, 01:25 AM
Only LA, Dallas, Miami can win the title imo. OKC and Chicago have a shot too, but i don't think they'll win this year. so it's not balanced. there's only 5 teams that have a chance at the title

kjoke
12-13-2011, 01:27 AM
Only LA, Dallas, Miami can win the title imo. so it's not balanced.

But each of those teams goes into this year with hopes of winning it all because they have the potential to do so. There are always favorites in every sport you go in, that does not constitute imbalance.

Birdmannn
12-13-2011, 01:30 AM
Only LA, Dallas, Miami can win the title imo. OKC and Chicago have a shot too, but i don't think they'll win this year. so it's not balanced. there's only 5 teams that have a chance at the title

Man before last years play off no one would have said Dallas.
Chicago, NY and OKC all have great shots too.

Wade>You
12-13-2011, 01:30 AM
delete

Iodine
12-13-2011, 01:31 AM
kjoke, people just love *****ing at the NBA.

We could have 30 41-41 teams then then they would complain then they want a dominant team

I will always say watching 1 team have a transcendent year>>>15 mediocre years

kjoke
12-13-2011, 01:32 AM
kjoke, people just love *****ing at the NBA.

We could have 30 41-41 teams then then they would complain then they want a dominant team

I will always say watching 1 team have a transcendent year>>>15 mediocre years

I agree with the last part. And each of those teams have the shot for the miracle push: like the Mavs last year.

gwrighter
12-13-2011, 01:34 AM
There will be some surprises as there always is, but only a handful of teams will actually define themselves as contenders.

bholly
12-13-2011, 01:51 AM
Sooo tough having NY and Orlando in the top group and Memphis in the next one.

Cal827
12-13-2011, 01:55 AM
But that's how it usually is, in like every sport.

There are the top tier teams, teams that are instant contenders (MIA, CHI)
The tier teams that aren't in the top tier but are either about to emerge (OKC, NYK) or look to start falling off (LA, DAL, BOS)
There are the fringe playoff teams, again some building some falling (ORL, IND, LAC)
Then there are the bad teams that need a few years to recover in cap space (CLE, WSH) and others that have space and are building to become an elite team (TOR, SAC)

itsripcity32
12-13-2011, 02:27 AM
But that's how it usually is, in like every sport.

There are the top tier teams, teams that are instant contenders (MIA, CHI)
The tier teams that aren't in the top tier but are either about to emerge (OKC, NYK) or look to start falling off (LA, DAL, BOS)
There are the fringe playoff teams, again some building some falling (ORL, IND, LAC)
Then there are the bad teams that need a few years to recover in cap space (CLE, WSH) and others that have space and are building to become an elite team (TOR, SAC)

Toronto and elite do not belong in the same sentence. Sac too, but toronto..,

Cal827
12-13-2011, 02:31 AM
Toronto and elite do not belong in the same sentence. Sac too, but toronto..,

I said building, douchebag :D just kidding man... but there are multiple teams here.

I mean, it's likely far away, but a team like Toronto, or Sacremento or Detroit... these teams are building and have prospects with good upside (Cousins, Derozan, Monroe etc). I'm sure at least one of them will be back among the best in a few years.

Bulls_fan90
12-13-2011, 02:39 AM

I don't think many people picked Dallas last year. I'm not saying the NBA is balanced, because it isn't, but there are always some suprise teams.

itsripcity32
12-13-2011, 02:44 AM
I said building, douchebag :D just kidding man... but there are multiple teams here.

I mean, it's likely far away, but a team like Toronto, or Sacremento or Detroit... these teams are building and have prospects with good upside (Cousins, Derozan, Monroe etc). I'm sure at least one of them will be back among the best in a few years.

Uh you said building to become an elite team. And I said elite and and Toronto don't belong in the same sentence. Just say continuously building till eternity

Anilyzer
12-13-2011, 02:45 AM

that's not true, and that can't be true.

if you really believe that, then you should blame the NBA league office that controls all of the refereeing. If you honestly believe that only 3 teams can win the title as of today, then what you are talking about is massive fraud and referee collusion and cheating, far beyond what Donaghy was busted for.

itsripcity32
12-13-2011, 02:52 AM
that's not true, and that can't be true.

if you really believe that, then you should blame the NBA league office that controls all of the refereeing. If you honestly believe that only 3 teams can win the title as of today, then what you are talking about is massive fraud and referee collusion and cheating, far beyond what Donaghy was busted for.

Are you serious?

don'tfireNedCo
12-13-2011, 02:56 AM
Find me a league that balanced. Of course there are going to be differences between teams, but I don't even think hockey is this balanced. Lets not focus on the bottom 7 teams that everyone complains about, but the middle teams that are getting better and with right management can win.

to find a balance, you must look at how mant different teams win championships in a given frame of time. look at nfl and nhl, then compare them to nba. nba resembles more of mlb.

Raph12
12-13-2011, 03:00 AM
You have WAY too many teams up there that could win, to me it looks more like this:

Championship contenders:
Miami
Boston
LA Lakers
Dallas (provided they get Dalembert or another defensive anchor)

Teams that will challenge in the playoffs:
OKC
San Antonio
Chicago
Orlando (with Dwight)
NY
Atlanta
Portland
Memphis

Teams that are 1st round knockouts at best:
Philly
Indiana
Minny
Houston
NJ (without Dwight/Nene)
Golden State
Utah
Toronto
Sacramento
Denver
Cleveland
Detroit
Charlotte
Washington
Phoenix
Milwaukee
New Orleans

Those 4 teams could be beat by some of the challengers if it's a bad matchup, but they are the favs for the CFs.

James Dolan
12-13-2011, 03:04 AM
NBA is so unbalanced. All I did in the 00's was write checks
and win my organization multiple rings. If I were operating in a small
market I would've most likely taken on terrible contracts like Stephon
Marbury, Eddy Curry while not advancing passed the 1st round in
all those years.

metsfan99999
12-13-2011, 03:18 AM
Honestly, imbalance is a simple fact of life in the NBA, there has never been any true parity (like the NFL). This is because to be a truly dominant team in the NBA all one needs to be a perennial title contender is to have 2-3 truly great players. These players don't come around very often and will usually leave for the high prestige big money cities (NY, BOS, CHI, LA) when they have a chance to leave the team that drafted them.

In the past 30 years, only 9 different teams have won an NBA championship. When you compare that to the MLB and NFL (18 in 30 years, 16 in 30 years respectively) you will realize that the league hasn't all of a sudden taken a turn for the worse, but rather has always been like this.

ChiTownPacerFan
12-13-2011, 03:26 AM
I don't think the Spurs, Clippers, or Knicks are title contenders this year, but that's not the point.

There are between 5 and 10 title contenders. The other 20-25 teams are completely irrelevant. As in, they have zero chance. There's not even a .0000000001% chance that, say, the Sixers get hot and have a championship season. It can happen in any other sport, but not in basketball. That's why people say it isn't balanced.

thekmp211
12-13-2011, 05:09 AM
I was looking at the standings from last year and newly added players to some teams and I don't see that 'unfair league'

For example, each of these teams are able to win the title (some are long shots, but still are pretty good teams)

Chicago
Miami
Boston
Orlando
NY
LA Lakers
Dallas
OKC
San Antonio

Teams that are mid-playoff and some that have great talent

Atlanta
Philly
Indiana
Portland
Memphis
Minny
Houston
NJ
Golden State
Utah
Toronto
Sacramento
Denver

Teams that are lower fringe

Cleveland
Detroit
Charlotte
Washington
Phoenix
Milwaukee
NO

Some of the top teams for the past decades are dropping down (SA) and others are rising up (Clippers) as examples. Find me a league that balanced. Of course there are going to be differences between teams, but I don't even think hockey is this balanced. Lets not focus on the bottom 7 teams that everyone complains about, but the middle teams that are getting better and with right management can win.

the bolded teams in the top column went through prolonged periods of struggle in the past 10-15 years. bolded in the bottom column had some years of being real contenders (or winning a ring in the case of detroit) over the same period of time. charlotte and washington have made some pretty big mistakes over the years, although both teams have made the playoffs at least once. middle teams

point being, i agree with OP's notion. contenders have fluctuated over the years, and more importantly for the future, talent has increased across the board. the few teams to really struggle have had good reason to. of the three teams to be consistent contenders over this time period, only the lakers can really claim to enjoy the advantages of a luxurious market.

franchises not being profitable is a related, but also largely different question that i think is too often correlated with this subject.

seikou8
12-13-2011, 05:30 AM
You have WAY too many teams up there that could win, to me it looks more like this:

Championship contenders:
Miami
Boston
LA Lakers

OKC
San Antonio
Chicago
Orlando (with Dwight)
NY
Atlanta
Portland
Memphis

Teams that are 1st round knockouts at best:
Philly
Indiana
Minny
Houston
NJ (without Dwight/Nene)
Golden State
Utah
Toronto
Sacramento
Denver
Cleveland
Detroit
Charlotte
Washington
Phoenix
Milwaukee
New Orleans

Those 4 teams could be beat by some of the challengers if it's a bad matchup, but they are the favs for the CFs.

man the what bench do the lakers have. dalllas justlost their back up pg c maybe there sg okc is championship contender

abe_froman
12-13-2011, 05:34 AM
I don't think the Spurs, Clippers, or Knicks are title contenders this year, but that's not the point.

There are between 5 and 10 title contenders. The other 20-25 teams are completely irrelevant. As in, they have zero chance. There's not even a .0000000001% chance that, say, the Sixers get hot and have a championship season. It can happen in any other sport, but not in basketball. That's why people say it isn't balanced.

other sports dont have same playoff format either with long delays inbetween games,no one and done playoff series,ect. those things help upsets,the format is designed to keep them from happening

WatWoudJordanDo
12-13-2011, 05:36 AM
as metsfan9s said the NBA has 0 parity compared to other major sports leagues. please refer to my sig for more details...its actually quite sad, even with my team on that list...

ChiTownPacerFan
12-13-2011, 05:48 AM
other sports dont have same playoff format either with long delays inbetween games,no one and done playoff series,ect. those things help upsets,the format is designed to keep them from happening

That only applies to football. Baseball and Hockey have very similar playoff formats. In those sports, however, every team that makes the playoffs has a chance.

abe_froman
12-13-2011, 06:00 AM
That only applies to football. Baseball and Hockey have very similar playoff formats. In those sports, however, every team that makes the playoffs has a chance.

game play is different in those sports though.more players on the field,limiting to what they can/cant do,larger playing ground (thus limiting an individuals impact-making it more of a group effort and greater chances for upsets to happen)

ChiTownPacerFan
12-13-2011, 06:07 AM
game play is different in those sports though.more players on the field,limiting to what they can/cant do,larger playing ground (thus limiting an individuals impact-making it more of a group effort)

This is sort of the crux of the discussion. Is this really an inherent aspect of basketball, or is this a misconception that has been facilitated and perpetuated by the league for the last several decades?

GrandDaddyPurp
12-13-2011, 06:53 AM

Championship contenders:
Miami
OKC
Chicago

Boston
San Antonio
NY
Orlando (with Dwight)
LA Lakers
Atlanta
Memphis

FIXED. It makes no sense to place the Lakers as contenders and not the Thunder. The Thunder are a young team who will be better through experience whereas the Lakers are aging and have not made any roster changes besides losing their 6th man of the year. IF the roster changes, then maybe but as of right now..NO.

I am Smart
12-13-2011, 06:54 AM
David Stern should give more money to the poorer teams

KingstonHawke
12-13-2011, 08:21 AM
The teams who have made the best decisions are contenders, the teams who have made the worse are at the bottom. The teams who haven't made any big splashes, or big mistakes are in the middle. That is ALL that I see.

Before the Pistons made the Iverson trade they were contenders, Piston's fault.
Before the Cavs decided to gamble on Lebron leaving instead of trading him they were contenders, Cavs fault.
Phoenix made the same mistake with Amare. Toronto with Bosh.
Charlotte wasted their highest pick in a while on Adam Morrison. And they just gave up their two best players for nothing.

The rules governing transactions have room to improve, but they aren't unfair like some of the owners are acting like. The trick is to ALWAYS be getting value for your assets. I'm a die hard Lakers fan, and even more of a Kobe fan. But if I was the Lakers GM, if Kobe didn't have a no trade clause, I'd trade him right now. His value is maxed, and he's overpaid when you compare what Lebron and Durant are making.

Raps18-19 Champ
12-13-2011, 08:24 AM
If you want balance, look at the NHL. You had a 7th seed and 8th seed make the ECF. That's balance. The fact that 8th seed has just as much talent as the first seed.

Whenever I watch hockey, I rarely hear the word 'upset' come playoff time. You know why? Because all the teams are a bit more balanced ever since the 2004-2005 lockout.

magichatnumber9
12-13-2011, 08:25 AM
I believe Indiana can win a title. Lets be real here

PhillyFaninLA
12-13-2011, 08:53 AM
Honestly, imbalance is a simple fact of life in the NBA, there has never been any true parity (like the NFL). This is because to be a truly dominant team in the NBA all one needs to be a perennial title contender is to have 2-3 truly great players. These players don't come around very often and will usually leave for the high prestige big money cities (NY, BOS, CHI, LA) when they have a chance to leave the team that drafted them.

In the past 30 years, only 9 different teams have won an NBA championship. When you compare that to the MLB and NFL (18 in 30 years, 16 in 30 years respectively) you will realize that the league hasn't all of a sudden taken a turn for the worse, but rather has always been like this.

I'll go 1 better for you....every NBA title ever: 17 teams all time have one every title

17 Boston Celtics 1957 1959 1960 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1968 1969
1974 1976 1981 1984 1986,2008
16 Minneapolis/Los Angeles Lakers 1949 1950 1952 1953 1954 1972 1980 1982 1985 1987 1988
2000 2001 2002,2009, 2010
6 Chicago Bulls 1991 1992 1993 1996 1997 1998
4 San Antonio Spurs 1999 2003 2005 2007
3 Philadelphia/Golden State Warriors 1947 1956 1975
3 Syracuse Nationals/Philadelphia 76ers 1955 1967 1983
3 Detroit Pistons 1989 1990 2004
2 Baltimore/Washington Bullets 1948 1978
2 Houston Rockets 1994 1995
2 New York Knickerbockers 1970 1973
1 Dallas Mavericks 2011
1 Miami Heat 2006
1 Milwaukee Bucks 1971
1 Portland Trailblazers 1977
1 Rochester Royals 1951
1 Saint Louis Hawks 1958
1 Seattle Supersonics 1979

http://www.nbahoopsonline.com/History/Leagues/NBA/playoffs/Titlesbyteam.html

ChiTownPacerFan
12-13-2011, 08:58 AM

:laugh2: Thanks, I needed that.

Anilyzer
12-13-2011, 08:53 PM
Are you serious?

Of course. We see teams get hot all the time. All those NBA starters were top stars in college... with a good squad, and good year, good coaching, good chemistry, fully 1/2 of the teams have a legit shot to run the table and win the title.

saying it's all a done deal because Miami or LA has one extra good player is just so weak. And saying that only 3 (big market) teams have a chance, before the seaons starts, could only mean corruption in the league, that prevents other teams from having a chance. Since we know that's not the case, then every team should just get out there and play.

It's not like MLB, where if you don't have the pitchers you have absolutely no chance. NBA teams are actually quite evenly matched in a lot of ways--and any team can hit shots or out-hustle on the boards.

PacersForLife
12-13-2011, 09:48 PM
No league is balanced. The Patriots are like the Lakers of the NFL, as well as the Yankees in the MLB. There are teams with rich history that will always be expected to do good and usually do. Like many people have stated, the Mavs weren't even projected to make it out of the first round because the Blazers were a challenge for them in previous years. I think this season could be one of the most balanced. There are so many teams that have been mediocre for years and are finally building to become contenders like: Clippers, Pacers, Kings, Sixers, Grizzlies, and even the Timberwolves. The balance has started shifting like it did about 5 years ago, at that time all of the teams I listed were the top teams in the league (Idk about the Clippers). I really don't see why people are always calling the NBA such a joke of a league for this reason... I guess it's because Sportscenter makes everyone think football is so great because they show it 25/8 (no typo).. its stupid...

PacersForLife
12-13-2011, 09:51 PM

Smart*** :D
The Pacers are closer than the Warriors.... We will be a surprise to everyone this year just watch...