PDA

View Full Version : Marc Gasol Reaches Deal With Grizzlies

MackShock
12-12-2011, 09:58 PM
From Gasol himself on twitter just now:

http://twitter.com/#!/MarcGasol

MarcGasol: I'm proud to say that we have reached a tentative agreement with my team @memgrizz , can't wait to get on the court with all my teammates!

update: [$$ amount]
CAGrizBlog Commercial Appeal
Marc Gasol has agreed to a four-year deal with the Griz worth the max at roughly $58 million, the CA has learned

This means Houston now goes hard after Nene.

From NBA forum

MackShock
12-12-2011, 09:59 PM
4 years 58 million..your kidding me..we couldve offered that to him? we offered chandler more.. instead of wasting time with DJ??

maybe we couldve offered him more, who knows. FO catted on this one.

MackShock
12-12-2011, 10:01 PM
so that means were out of the running for a center. be glad we still have beans..

MackShock
12-12-2011, 10:03 PM
one thing that doesnt make sense to me: we offered Chandler 15 mill starting salary, and we didnt even cut Lin or amnesty Bell or Beans yet..

then we cut Lin to create cap room, and amnesty Bell to make room for DJ's 11 mill starting salary?

the only explanation for this is, we were never close to signing Chandler, although Lacob says we were very close.

or, we offered to see if Chandler were to agree, then amnesty Beans..but if this was the case, we never would have cut Lin or amnestied Bell before offering the offer sheet..

the front office is sounding very very very ******** at this point..

somebody please explain to me why this was done..

asandhu23
12-12-2011, 10:05 PM
Yay!!!

allvalleychamp
12-12-2011, 10:07 PM
one thing that doesnt make sense to me: we offered Chandler 15 mill starting salary, and we didnt even cut Lin or amnesty Bell or Beans yet..

then we cut Lin to create cap room, and amnesty Bell to make room for DJ's 11 mill starting salary?

the front office is sound very very very ******** at this point..

somebody please explain to me why this was done..

We just put an offer out to Chandler but he never signed with us so we didn't have to make room- with Jordan he actually signed with us so the cap space had to be created...this FO is different than under Cohen and they have been very aggressive at addressing our team needs but you can't force anyone to sign

MackShock
12-12-2011, 10:11 PM
We just put an offer out to Chandler but he never signed with us so we didn't have to make room- with Jordan he actually signed with us so the cap space had to be created...this FO is different than under Cohen and they have been very aggressive at addressing our team needs but you can't force anyone to sign

But you don't cut your valuable trade chip in Bell and you certainly dont cut Lin, who was coming into his own as a backup possibly, or at the very least your best marketing asset.

You especially dont do it to have a chance at signing a big man, knowing that it's likely they will match it.

Kdirt
12-12-2011, 10:28 PM
But you don't cut your valuable trade chip in Bell and you certainly dont cut Lin, who was coming into his own as a backup possibly, or at the very least your best marketing asset.

You especially dont do it to have a chance at signing a big man, knowing that it's likely they will match it.

Charles Jenkins>Lin

MackShock
12-13-2011, 02:10 AM
Charles Jenkins>Lin

but they cut Lin for salary purposes, and my guess is because they needed room for DJ.

robbnen#31
12-13-2011, 07:57 AM
4 years 58 million..your kidding me..we couldve offered that to him? we offered chandler more.. instead of wasting time with DJ??

maybe we couldve offered him more, who knows. FO catted on this one.

The numbers on Chandler have to be off since we didn't offer him a max deal.

PolloLoco
12-13-2011, 10:37 AM
If we had amnestied Beans - we would have been able to exceed that offer to Gasol. It depends on what the new max for a player not currently on your team is. Sigh.

This off-season has been a failure. Our front office has pretended to be agressive, without making the right moves to actually put a respectable offer out there. IE - amnesty Biedrins. They cut Bell to save money.

However - I'd argue Bell is not really a trade chip when you consider his off the court issues. I wouldn't want to sign or trade for him.

likemystylez
12-13-2011, 10:55 AM
If we had amnestied Beans - we would have been able to exceed that offer to Gasol. It depends on what the new max for a player not currently on your team is. Sigh.

This off-season has been a failure. Our front office has pretended to be agressive, without making the right moves to actually put a respectable offer out there. IE - amnesty Biedrins. They cut Bell to save money.

However - I'd argue Bell is not really a trade chip when you consider his off the court issues. I wouldn't want to sign or trade for him.

now do you understand why I said capspace isnt THAT valuable and we should have gotten talent for our expiring contracts at the deadline?

MackShock
12-13-2011, 02:06 PM
now do you understand why I said capspace isnt THAT valuable and we should have gotten talent for our expiring contracts at the deadline?

15 mill in cap space and no starting center is worse than 10 mill in cap space and a starting center

Lloyd Christmas
12-13-2011, 02:54 PM
15 mill in cap space and no starting center is worse than 10 mill in cap space and a starting center

Kwame

Scoots
12-13-2011, 02:55 PM
That's exactly what I was going to say Mack.

Had we offered more for Gasol we would have had to cut Biedrins and the contract would have been matched ... the league would have laughed at the Warriors for that move.

The FO has been aggressive, I think too aggressive, in a really weak market. Look back at the 49ers off season ... people were saying they were blowing it and that they had failed to land Nnamdi and so they were dupes in that deal, but look how it turned out. Patience is perhaps the most important aspect of a good front office. The teams that jerk from one plan to another just get stuck in the mud.

Fillygt
12-13-2011, 03:05 PM
That's exactly what I was going to say Mack.

Had we offered more for Gasol we would have had to cut Biedrins and the contract would have been matched ... the league would have laughed at the Warriors for that move.

The FO has been aggressive, I think too aggressive, in a really weak market. Look back at the 49ers off season ... people were saying they were blowing it and that they had failed to land Nnamdi and so they were dupes in that deal, but look how it turned out. Patience is perhaps the most important aspect of a good front office. The teams that jerk from one plan to another just get stuck in the mud.

You better hope likemystylez doesn't read that.

But I agree with you.

MackShock
12-13-2011, 03:06 PM
^ I really hope each summer the FO will be in talks with big name players like they were this year..

likemystylez
12-13-2011, 03:29 PM
^ I really hope each summer the FO will be in talks with big name players like they were this year..

im sure larry riley will always say hes in talks with big name players

likemystylez
12-13-2011, 03:33 PM
You better hope likemystylez doesn't read that.

But I agree with you.

patience is fine and dandy... but 18 years is a long time to be patient isnt it??

MackShock
12-13-2011, 03:46 PM
im sure larry riley will always say hes in talks with big name players

at least we didnt stand pat this year

Scoots
12-13-2011, 04:01 PM
18 years is WAY too long, but I can't blame the FO for the last 18 years, just NEXT year when they have 1 season on their first draft class.

robbnen#31
12-13-2011, 05:07 PM
18 years is WAY too long, but I can't blame the FO for the last 18 years, just NEXT year when they have 1 season on their first draft class.

Ya seriously, clearly Joe Lacob and crew have been with this organization for 18 years.