PDA

View Full Version : Why are the Thunder so quiet??

Tebow15Time
12-11-2011, 04:55 PM
every contender is making moves, the Heat getting battier, Bulls getting hamilton, lakers move odom, mavs get odom

low seed teams are making good moves: knicks get chandler, pacers get west,clippers get butler

where the heck are the thunder?? they cant possibly think they will magically win the west without making any moves, can they?

anyone heard any rumors concerning them?

KnickaBocka.44
12-11-2011, 04:56 PM
The Thunder are getting better simply by getting older. The only thing they need is more experience.

Avenged
12-11-2011, 04:58 PM
They don't need to make any moves. Take a good look at the Lakers, they probably would be contending for a championship, took some risks and now it isn't looking good at all (with Odom gone & no player in return).

AI
12-11-2011, 04:59 PM
Thunder are pretty much set.

Raps18-19 Champ
12-11-2011, 05:00 PM
The only thing they are probably thinking about is how to deal with Russell Westbrook. He has a really big ego that needs to be checked out.

Tebow15Time
12-11-2011, 05:02 PM
The Thunder are getting better simply by getting older. The only thing they need is more experience.

i agree with this, but i think they still need a post scorer, i dont see durant posting up this season, he was working out with LBJ this summer, so i guess he is following his path and going to wait till his 8th year to start working on his post game

i feel they shld try and get a millsap, or some other player they can post up off the bench and get them dbl figures

Giraffes Rule
12-11-2011, 05:06 PM
The Thunder are built on the Spurs model. Don't need make big moves, just fill holes and let your key players continue to get better.

THE MTL
12-11-2011, 05:07 PM
Sometimes no moves are the best moves. Seriously, I would have still labeled the Lakers and Mavericks as contenders but after these off-season moves.......I think both teams have cleared way for the Thunder to take the Western Conference. And if Memphis retains Gasol, they could quite possibly overtake the Lakers/Mavericks as well.

JollyRanch
12-11-2011, 05:08 PM
they do need some low post offense

KnickaBocka.44
12-11-2011, 05:10 PM
i agree with this, but i think they still need a post scorer, i dont see durant posting up this season, he was working out with LBJ this summer, so i guess he is following his path and going to wait till his 8th year to start working on his post game

i feel they shld try and get a millsap, or some other player they can post up off the bench and get them dbl figures

I could agree with this. It will be interesting to see what Ibaka brings to the table this year. He had no offensive game before last year really and out of nowhere he came back with a pretty decent 15 footer and that helped immensely.

central2003
12-11-2011, 05:11 PM
If it aint broke don't fix it .. The Thunder philosophy

BlazersDozen
12-11-2011, 05:13 PM

Yeah, because that worked for the Blazers and the Bulls. The Thunder need to add some real veterans who can contribute on & off the court. Trading for Kendrick Perkins could be seen as a move since he has not spent much time with the team last season.

They need to trade Westbrook and replace him with a more convential point guard. Also, they need more depth and offensive weapons. If Durant goes down and Westbrook is traded, this team will struggle tremendously. Real contendors like the Lakers, Spurs and Mavericks have enough talent to work through a major injury like that. The Thunder do not have that outside Westbrook (unless traded).

5ass
12-11-2011, 05:13 PM
the thunder are missing a low post scorer IMO, they should get one

thekmp211
12-11-2011, 05:14 PM
they do need some low post offense

definitely true, but i think they've been smart to stand pat so far. they don't need to break the bank for one and that's what they'd have to do to get a guy like marc gasol or nene.

a smart franchise like the thunder doesn't worry about the free agent bonanza because they have confidence in their product.

CousinsEvansDUO
12-11-2011, 05:15 PM
Thunder are the best team in the west right now. Lakers and Mavericks just keep shooting themselves in the foot as the thunder watch happily.

IndyRealist
12-11-2011, 05:25 PM
Everyone else is scrambling either because they're worried they're not good enough, or they know that they're not good enough. The Thunder don't have either problem. Why panic and overpay for a middling free agent class when you can bide your time, still be a top 5 team, and save your money for next year?

OA SLAY
12-11-2011, 05:26 PM
Isnt it Ironic.

Hester23Jordan
12-11-2011, 05:48 PM
Thunder can contend for a title just by standing pat.

dodie53
12-11-2011, 05:50 PM
calm before the storm maybe?

Tebow15Time
12-11-2011, 05:54 PM
Everyone else is scrambling either because they're worried they're not good enough, or they know that they're not good enough. The Thunder don't have either problem. Why panic and overpay for a middling free agent class when you can bide your time, still be a top 5 team, and save your money for next year?

oh u mean when they have to resign westbrook right??

lol, save money, they will be over the cap next year i believe

time to start using those damn MLEs

smith&wesson
12-11-2011, 05:57 PM
because they think perkins is the answer to any problems they may have had.
:laugh:

gotoHcarolina52
12-11-2011, 06:03 PM
If it aint broke don't fix it .. The Thunder philosophy

If it's broke, try to fix it, then break it some more - The Mitch Kupchak Philosophy

3mikee_
12-11-2011, 06:04 PM
Ibaka can become their low post scorer.. I think the Thunder is set.. Don't fix what ain't broke

THE GIPPER
12-11-2011, 06:06 PM
Ibaka can become their low post scorer.. I think the Thunder is set.. Don't fix what ain't broke

I wouldnt be surprised if ibaka becomes a top 5 pf this season. As a nuggets fan, he destroyed us last year in the playoffs.

James Dolan
12-11-2011, 06:06 PM
They're a small market team with a good owner and gm. Very rare.

jrm2054
12-11-2011, 06:26 PM
Thunder are set but i can see Westbrook messing it up this year

Baller1
12-11-2011, 06:39 PM
The Thunder have every single player from their 10-man rotation last season.

Westbrook/Maynor
Harden/Sefalosha
Durant/Cook
Ibaka/Collison
Perkins/Mohammed

After a lockout, the hardest things for teams to do is find continuity and chemistry, especially for those going through a complete makeover (new coaches, new systems, entirely new rosters, etc.). Meanwhile, the Thunder have no worries about what a shortened offseason will do to them; if anything, the lockout served as an advantage for OKC by that logic.

Not only that, but we now have a full season with Ibaka starting, Harden being the third option, and Perkins being healthy.

After the Green trade (post allstar break), Harden was probably the sixth man of the year and Ibaka had a pretty convincing argument of being the best defensive player post allstar.

Taking all of that into account, the Thunder are primed for big things; standing pat was the smartest thing to do. Sam Presti is a ****ing genius, I'm not worried about any decisions he makes.

DeRozan10
12-11-2011, 06:40 PM
Cuz they are Legit. Sickest team in NBA

Kendrick Perkins / Nazr Mohammed / B.J. Mullens
Serge Ibaka / Nick Collison / Cole Aldrich
Kevin Durant / Thabo Sefalosha
James Harden / Daequon Cook / Royal Ivey
Russell Westbrook / Eric Maynor / Reggie Jackson

LEGIT

Catfish1314
12-11-2011, 06:42 PM
The Thunder could probably use a crafty vet inside to give them some more production down low. Luis Scola would be ideal.

But they don't need to make moves. They flirted with a 60-win season last year while Kevin Durant, Russell Westbrook, and James Harden were all 22. They're five or six years away from their primes. Scary.

AI4MVP
12-11-2011, 06:59 PM
the thunder are my pick to win it all

ManningToTyree
12-11-2011, 07:02 PM
They are such a young team, one year of maturity is how they are up grading. They could use some low post help as well.

Carey
12-11-2011, 07:11 PM
Because nothing is more important then locking Westbrook up this year, and Harden and Ibaka next summer. Were in great position to do that but not alot of money for anything else.

RevisIsland
12-11-2011, 07:12 PM
It's their style.

gatkins11
12-11-2011, 07:26 PM
They're quiet because right now they're probably the favorites to win the west.

Aust
12-11-2011, 07:29 PM
The Thunder are fine just the way they are. They'll probably get to the WCF with this year's MVP

TheNumber37
12-11-2011, 07:35 PM
I'd love to see Billups sign with the Thunder if he no one places a bid on him.

Supreme LA
12-11-2011, 07:39 PM
The only thing they are probably thinking about is how to deal with Russell Westbrook. He has a really big ego that needs to be checked out.

Dude get off it. Thunder aren't going to trade Westbrook and they definitely won't be in the running to get CP3. Thunder still a contender as they stand.

seikou8
12-11-2011, 07:41 PM
Dude get off it. Thunder aren't going to trade Westbrook and they definitely won't be in the running to get CP3. Thunder still a contender as they stand.

this

lavilevi23
12-11-2011, 09:04 PM
They should go after Jefferson, Josh Howard or Peja

BranWingss
12-11-2011, 09:08 PM
They don't need to do anything really. They have their core. Their biggest thing moving forward is development, and their ahead of schedule anyways.

Once the deadline comes around, they can make a move for a veteran if needed.

Lakers4ItAll
12-11-2011, 09:09 PM
They should be trying to get Dwight for Harden+filler+picks

soonabooma
12-12-2011, 03:09 PM
We still have a little work to do, but right now our roster is good enough to compete with pretty much anybody. We're such a young team and we'll only get better. Chemistry is the key, and we're building that in a major way. We've got the talent part covered, now we're just gaining experience and strengthening our team chemistry. One thing that I still insist on, is that Sefolosha continues to be in the starting 5, with Harden coming off the bench. A lot of our fans want Harden to start because he can score, but we can't have all of our best scorers in the starting lineup, that wouldn't work for us because who's gonna give us that spark off the bench? Sefolosha is a great perimeter defender, he sets the tone on that end of the floor, and that can't be overlooked, he's an important piece. We need Harden leading the 2nd unit.

ShakeN'Bake
12-12-2011, 03:11 PM

Perfect answer.

Baller1
12-13-2011, 01:14 PM
We still have a little work to do, but right now our roster is good enough to compete with pretty much anybody. We're such a young team and we'll only get better. Chemistry is the key, and we're building that in a major way. We've got the talent part covered, now we're just gaining experience and strengthening our team chemistry. One thing that I still insist on, is that Sefolosha continues to be in the starting 5, with Harden coming off the bench. A lot of our fans want Harden to start because he can score, but we can't have all of our best scorers in the starting lineup, that wouldn't work for us because who's gonna give us that spark off the bench? Sefolosha is a great perimeter defender, he sets the tone on that end of the floor, and that can't be overlooked, he's an important piece. We need Harden leading the 2nd unit.

Proper substitution patterns. Always have one of KD, Westy, and Harden on the floor at all times and the second unit scoring punch will be irrelevant.

Problem solved.

mightybosstone
12-13-2011, 01:25 PM
The funny thing is that you would expect Sam Presti to make deals and be a player in free agency, but by not doing anything, the Thunder have become maybe the best team in the West. Think about it... if there are a ton of "Westbrook for Paul" rumors and then the same thing that happened to the Lakers, Rockets and Clippers happens to the Thunder, what does it do for Westbrook's morale? Would they have to do what the Lakers did to Odom?

I think there's still a slim possibility that a deal like that could happen, but Presti was smart to sit back and watch this mess from afar. If Paul doesn't get dealt and it gets near the trade deadline when the Hornets are desperate, a Westbrook for Paul swap will easily be the best deal on the table IF Presti still wants it. I still think Westbrook has room for growth and believe he can learn to coexist with Durant. If that happens this season, they won't need or want Paul.

Regardless, the Thunder have to be the favorite in the West at this point with the Mavs losing Chandler and the Lakers losing Odom and Phil Jackson.

sep11ie
12-13-2011, 01:45 PM
Perk put a ton of work in this offseason, Ibaka has another year experience behind his belt, thy have 6th man of the year candidate in Harden, top 3 player in Durant, top 5 PG in Westy, Collison as the glue guy, and need to conserve money to keep'em all together. What did you want them to do?

GoferKing_
12-13-2011, 02:36 PM
OKC should do a trade with Westbrook for Paul, they would be in a powerhouse.

Baller1
12-13-2011, 02:52 PM
OKC should do a trade with Westbrook for Paul, they would be in a powerhouse.

Westbrook, Perkins, and a first rounder for Dwight.

That's what I want.