PDA

View Full Version : Kobe Bryants thoughts on Lamar Odom trade

Rivera
12-11-2011, 03:18 PM
"I dont like it....

"I dont think mark cuban will be protesting this trade"

Would post the whole quote but im on my phone...you guys can read the whole thing here

http://www.iamagm.com/news/2011/12/11/kobe.about.lamar.odom.trade.i.dont.it.dont.think.m ark.cubans.protesting.trade?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Better-Than-You
12-11-2011, 03:20 PM
who does besides mavs fans?

Baller1
12-11-2011, 03:24 PM
I ****ing hate the Lakers, but this whole situation has been pathetic, atrocious, ridiculous, horrific, and every other word that possesses a negative connotation.

KnicksorBust
12-11-2011, 03:49 PM
I'd rather hear how he feels about how well he thinks he and CP3 would play together.

Cano-Montero...
12-11-2011, 03:53 PM
Kobe is pissed in trading LO...

Punk
12-11-2011, 03:55 PM
He'll be alright when he sees Dwight walk in the locker room.

Hawkeye15
12-11-2011, 03:55 PM
I ****ing hate the Lakers, but this whole situation has been pathetic, atrocious, ridiculous, horrific, and every other word that possesses a negative connotation.

This. The Lakers, Hornets, and Rockets all deserve to be totally pissed about this. As do all players and fans involved.

RollinDeep
12-11-2011, 04:21 PM

When people who hate the Lakers think this way about something involving them...you know Stern dun goofed up big.

As a Laker, and fan of basketball overall this has just made me sad. I don't even know if I can feel rage because it's so ridiculous a concept that this happened. Stern may have singlehandedly crushed us, the Hornets, and the Rockets with one universally panned decision.

I'll leave my trust to our front office to get things righted eventually as they always have done, but with Stern in Cuban's pocket I can't see this ending well.

JordansBulls
12-11-2011, 04:24 PM
"I dont like it....

"I dont think mark cuban will be protesting this trade"

Would post the whole quote but im on my phone...you guys can read the whole thing here

http://www.iamagm.com/news/2011/12/11/kobe.about.lamar.odom.trade.i.dont.it.dont.think.m ark.cubans.protesting.trade?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Hornets would have been getting 3 guys over 30+ years of age without even getting the 2nd best player back in the group all while giving up there 25/26 year old Superstar.

jrm2054
12-11-2011, 04:37 PM
I would be pissed if i was Kobe

FriedTofuz
12-11-2011, 05:27 PM
we basically traded lamar odom for cap space. it better turn into something good where we get howard or paul

AI4MVP
12-11-2011, 05:30 PM
I mean, the lakers are getting significantly worse this offseason. Id be pissed as well. They need to make some deals

dodie53
12-11-2011, 05:33 PM
win some,
lose some

FriedTofuz
12-11-2011, 05:33 PM
if the lakers dont get paul or howard, Mitch should be fired immediatly. Trading Lamar for nothing.. He better prove me wrong.

homestarunner93
12-11-2011, 05:35 PM
Kobe is going to demand a trade to a big market team.

310Casper
12-11-2011, 05:37 PM
Lakers had no choice. Odom requested to be traded.

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/story/_/id/7341952/lamar-odom-requested-trade-david-stern-veto-source-says

This was all a direct result of Stern's actions, I assure you Buss wont keep quiet about this, karma is a $%^$.

gotoHcarolina52
12-11-2011, 05:39 PM

:laugh:

The Lakers are a mess right now, but they have the pieces to make some big moves.

shep33
12-11-2011, 05:41 PM
Odom requested the trade... basically because the trade was vetoed by Stern. So again this goes back to Stern's decision, and from what I'm hearing LA did Odom a favor by trading him somewhere decent.

3mikee_
12-11-2011, 05:44 PM
Kobe is probably really pissed.. especially if the Lakers don't end up with Dwight.

Cal827
12-11-2011, 05:44 PM
Well, not many people would be too happy over being dealt randomly from a team they loved. Odom probably felt he didn't have a choice; the organization made it clear they didn't want him enough. (I don't care that it was for Chris Paul, the fact is they were willing to ship him out).

Probably in the best interest of both parties, cause I'm sure Gasol is probably pissed right now too. Having two guys in the locker room who the organization was going to rid themselves of wouldn't be pretty from a morale standpoint.

Last year, Toronto and Charlotte had a trade that would have sent Chandler to Toronto, and Calderon/Evans to the Bobcats.. Jordan vetoed it after the GMs agreed to it. Luckily for us, the two just wanted to play and they ignored it (which surprised me cause I definitely thought that they would be pissed in training camp). Also luckily for Chandler, he was dealt to the Mavs and won a title.

kozelkid
12-11-2011, 05:45 PM
This. The Lakers, Hornets, and Rockets all deserve to be totally pissed about this. As do all players and fans involved.

I'm not. I'm convinced something shady was going on in these talks. It made zero sense for NOH to take aging players on big contracts.

Either way, the fact that LA traded LO to their biggest rival for a trade exception is ********. I really hope Otis and the Magic are just trolling LA hard.

I can imagine it now.

Mitch: Hey Otis, what will it take to pry Howard off your hands.

Otis: Let's see, well first trade Odom to Dallas for trade exception.

Mitch: This makes no sense. How is this helping you or us?

Otis: Just trust me. No time to explain. You'll receive the next set of instructions tomorrow.

Mitch: Fine.

Next day...

Mitch: Otis, why are you telling us to trade Gasol to Golden State?

Otis: Just trust me Mitch.

Mitch: Fine.

Day before season starts...

Mitch: Otis, WTF! WE WANT HOWARD. WE'VE TRADED HALF OUR TEAM DAMN IT!! WHAT IS GOING ON WITH THIS CHARADE!!

Otis: *Laughter in the background* Eat a bag of dicks Mitch. Merry Xmas. Tell Claire, I said hi.

*click*

ghettosean
12-11-2011, 05:48 PM
I think Mitch is trying to screw Stern for blocking the trade and getting Odom out of the deal and putting Stern in a bad position to be honest. If CP3 later says he will only go to the lakers it will be interesting I'm thinking that L.A might get him at a cheaper price. They are going to get Howard Mitch knows his job depends on it besides they now have far more to offer Orlando then New Jersey does.

It's really more of a question can he keep Gasol while getting Dwight.

ghettosean
12-11-2011, 05:49 PM
Oh and I'm not a laker fan so no haters I just think they will end up with Dwight and still possibly Paul if Stern comes crawling back... LOL.

sep11ie
12-11-2011, 05:51 PM

Yea, like the Clippers.

THE GIPPER
12-11-2011, 05:58 PM
haha i dont feel bad for the lakers for a second

ink
12-11-2011, 06:02 PM

I don't know hawk I just can't stop laughing it's all so ********.

Gibby
12-11-2011, 06:03 PM
i dont get it. if trading odom was to get dwight, why not just make it a 3 way trade involving the mavs. Atleast if they dont get dwight, they can go back to their old team.

AndyfromNeptune
12-11-2011, 06:06 PM
:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

cant get over how dumb this situation is.

dumb on all sides... glad im a knick fan for once

kozelkid
12-11-2011, 06:06 PM
i dont get it. if trading odom was to get dwight, why not just make it a 3 way trade involving the mavs. Atleast if they dont get dwight, they can go back to their old team.

From what I've heard, the real reason is cause of Jim Buss. Supposedly he's much more cheaper than Jerry was and is in cost cutting mode.

smith&wesson
12-11-2011, 06:07 PM
i still think that this trade was done so that the lakers can net either cp3 or howard in the near future. or both.

i dont think they would give up odom for nothing.

gotoHcarolina52
12-11-2011, 06:26 PM
Will Kobe and the Lakers buy into Mike Brown's coaching style? This picture tells me NO

http://s1-04.twitpicproxy.com/photos/large/469767901.jpg

Matrix3132
12-11-2011, 06:35 PM
Will Kobe and the Lakers buy into Mike Brown's coaching style? This picture tells me NO

http://s1-04.twitpicproxy.com/photos/large/469767901.jpg

lol, those long faces can be found at practice at any age/skill level

Anilyzer
12-11-2011, 06:42 PM
I understand why Kobe is somewhat unhappy about it... however, notice that Kobe is not totally enraged by it either. He's not outright questioning management or torpedoing the whole thing.

Also, Odom being a very influential player is one of the reasons he had to go, I'd say. The new team has to be run at Mike Brown's pace, in Mike Brown's style -- NOT at Lamar Odom's pace, or in Lamar Odom's style.

I really feel that Odom was at cross purposes with Phil Jackson at times as well, and many many fans and sportswriters have wondered why won't this guy "bring it" every night. Now he's a Mav... I'm interested to see how that plays out.

RaiderLakersA's
12-11-2011, 09:16 PM
What pisses me off is that the Lakers didn't have to make any moves at all. This is a shortened season, which essentially rebates one year on Kobe's mileage. So why feel pressured to make moves now, Mitch???

All Mitch had to do was put out a blanket statement that the Lakers would not seek to acquire players like Chris Paul or Dwight Howard this season, but NEXT season will be in a prime position to sign such players as a first priority. Period, end of story.

And all Dwight and CP3 had to do was make it clear to any teams seeking their services that they would not sign an extension, if traded. The season will be over in just 6 - 7 months. They could then walk to the Lakers as free men. The Lakers could then figure out who to sign, who to re-sign, and who to move without having to worry about Stern's oversight.

But no, everyone is in such a ****ing rush to force the issue now. If Howard and Paul truly wanted to be Lakers, all they had to do was call Kobe, let him know which way the wind was blowing, and leave it at that.

I swear, if this whole ordeal goes any further south and we trade away Pau for pennies, and don't end up with CP3/Deron Williams AND Dwight Howard I'm going to hang Mitch by the cajones myself.

Gibby
12-11-2011, 09:16 PM
http://www.nba.com/video/channels/nba_tv/2011/12/11/20111211_KOBE_SOT_ON_ODOM.nba/?ls=iref:nbahpt2

kobe doesnt look too happy. if lakers dont get dwight, things can get ugly in LA. kobe near the end of his career and he wants to compete.

Bruno
12-11-2011, 10:00 PM
pretty simple.

two weeks from now Mitch and Jim Buss look like geniuses, or we're outside their offices with pitch-forks and torches demanding their resignation.

you don't give up Lamar Odom for nothing unless something big is going on behind the scenes. I'd like to give the LAL FO the benefit of the doubt but in this crazy environment you can't predict anything. im anxious like the entire organization and other fans. just doesn't make sense, yet.

Bruno
12-11-2011, 10:24 PM
Hornets would have been getting 3 guys over 30+ years of age without even getting the 2nd best player back in the group all while giving up there 25/26 year old Superstar.

:laugh2: Love how your trying to pretend that NOH got the short end of the stick in that deal.

Bruno
12-11-2011, 10:27 PM
Odom requested the trade... basically because the trade was vetoed by Stern. So again this goes back to Stern's decision, and from what I'm hearing LA did Odom a favor by trading him somewhere decent.

I'm gona be pretty mad if we moved Odom for nothing and no reason, just because he wanted out. News wasn't even 72 hours old yet. Lamars a 32 year old man, he could have put it behind him after a few weeks; you don't appease his emotional requests without good reason. If this was a move of passion and not logic I'm gona be pissed.

Kobe is probably really pissed.. especially if the Lakers don't end up with Dwight.
http://i.imgur.com/olx6G.jpg

you think? how's that look?

smith&wesson
12-11-2011, 10:48 PM
kobe looks confused. he doesnt know whats going on. he is thinking wtf :confused: these guys are killing my chances at another ring. but on the other hand he is thikning what if i get dwight ? hmmm ..

tbone2171
12-11-2011, 11:03 PM
Is this really threadworthy?

kozelkid
12-11-2011, 11:20 PM
:laugh2: Love how your trying to pretend that NOH got the short end of the stick in that deal.

There's nothing to pretend. It was an awful deal for NO. How could you argue otherwise. No pieces to rebuild and a bunch of aging/injury prone players with contracts of 2 years or longer (aside from Odom).

Bruno, you tend to be a very unbiased, good poster. Honestly, how could possibly think that was a good deal for NOH moving forward.

Sactown
12-11-2011, 11:45 PM
This trade sucked for the Hornets.. they would gain no future pieces and would be stuck in mediocrity.. I'd rather trade him to the bobcats or raptors for their 1st round pick.. at least that way you'd suck and get a good 1st rounder and a possible second good first rounder in a strong draft

Lakeshow24KB
12-11-2011, 11:56 PM

:laugh:

Lakeshow24KB
12-12-2011, 12:03 AM
I understand why Kobe is somewhat unhappy about it... however, notice that Kobe is not totally enraged by it either. He's not outright questioning management or torpedoing the whole thing.

Also, Odom being a very influential player is one of the reasons he had to go, I'd say. The new team has to be run at Mike Brown's pace, in Mike Brown's style -- NOT at Lamar Odom's pace, or in Lamar Odom's style.

I really feel that Odom was at cross purposes with Phil Jackson at times as well, and many many fans and sportswriters have wondered why won't this guy "bring it" every night. Now he's a Mav... I'm interested to see how that plays out.

When has Kobe ever been very mad and questioned management? At least not recently since he's matured. Not even when he got swept did he question the coaching/management/roster etc. you can never know how love really ever feels.

Bruno
12-12-2011, 12:13 AM
There's nothing to pretend. It was an awful deal for NO. How could you argue otherwise. No pieces to rebuild and a bunch of aging/injury prone players with contracts of 2 years or longer (aside from Odom).

Bruno, you tend to be a very unbiased, good poster. Honestly, how could possibly think that was a good deal for NOH moving forward.

thanks kozel.

i could be wrong, but the politics of NOH being owned by the league will make it really difficult for NOH to get back exactly what they want. It's not so much that I thought it was an amazing deal (although I think that team could have competed in the WC for sure- see below) as much as I ask- "what else are they going to get in return for him". In a few weeks if Paul is dealt for a superior package then I'll admit to being wrong- but if they don't and this package ends up being their best offer I'll stand by how I feel right now. I mean the GM of the Hornets feltt the same way- he really liked that deal for NOH.

regarding contracts- Martins 12 million would come off the books after next season, and Lamars eight million could have come off the books after this season. thats' 20 million off the books in two years, and while the NOH front office makes their decision, at least they can still fill their stadium with fans rooting for a playoff caliber team. that's contract relief in the near future, along with picks. teams have gotten a lot less for super-stars in the past than what NOH was getting for Paul.

I though a squad with Okafor, Ariza, Odom, Scola and Martin were playoff locks. This team has a Detroit Pistons-esque well roundedness (minus the defensive prowess). I think that team, despite the hole at PG could have won has as many games, and gone just as far in the playoffs as Pauls Hornets.

was it a rebuilding package? no. but i totally disagree with the notion that NOH got the short end of the stick in the deal. I thought it was pretty well-rounded. it left LAL with massive holes in their front court, and Houston gave up a lot of talent as well.

Anilyzer
12-12-2011, 12:15 AM
kobe looks confused. he doesnt know whats going on. he is thinking wtf :confused: these guys are killing my chances at another ring. but on the other hand he is thikning what if i get dwight ? hmmm ..

Kobe just happens to glance at the camera. MB is a very professional and talented coach, I'm sure Kobe can work with him.

regarding Odom, consider that the Lakers just saaved $18M in salary and $18M in luxury tax over two years = $36M. Is Odom worth $20M a year right now??

And plus he demanded out. We should consider it a point of pride as Laker fans that the team doesn't stand for that. We're not the freakin' nuggets or cavs.

It is a PRIVILEGE to play in LA. Bottom line.

broncosfan4eva
12-12-2011, 12:15 AM
This trade sucked for the Hornets.. they would gain no future pieces and would be stuck in mediocrity.. I'd rather trade him to the bobcats or raptors for their 1st round pick.. at least that way you'd suck and get a good 1st rounder and a possible second good first rounder in a strong draft

OK so a team like the raptors want To trade their first rounder for a 1 year rental?

Bruno
12-12-2011, 12:20 AM
also just to clarify Kozel, I was against the trade as a Laker fan. I thought it was a huge gamble, building a big three around three players with knee issues while gutting the front court in the process. high risk/high reward. I'm glad it didn't happen, although this whole shipping Odom for nothing situation has me a bit worried.

LOOTERX9
12-12-2011, 12:22 AM
Kobe's time has passed. He is not a factor anymore

Cano-Montero...
12-12-2011, 12:26 AM
Kobe just happens to glance at the camera. MB is a very professional and talented coach, I'm sure Kobe can work with him.

regarding Odom, consider that the Lakers just saaved $18M in salary and $18M in luxury tax over two years = $36M. Is Odom worth $20M a year right now??

And plus he demanded out. We should consider it a point of pride as Laker fans that the team doesn't stand for that. We're not the freakin' nuggets or cavs.

It is a PRIVILEGE to play in LA. Bottom line.

Really man you justify losing our 6th man with that crap...Hell the Lakers has a big tv deal coming up.. Money is not a problem and plus you and I know that LO's contract is a team option nxt yr lesser than he would receive this yr...

If its not a prelude to any move then we gotta admit that mitch and company made a bone head move... Why such in a hurry to trade LO? we have 1 wik more to shop him around, if he requested a trade then wait for a decent package not rush it up... a top 20 protected 1st rounder for LO and 2nd rounder...Pathetic!

kozelkid
12-12-2011, 12:38 AM
thanks kozel.

i could be wrong, but the politics of NOH being owned by the league will make it really difficult for NOH to get back exactly what they want. It's not so much that I thought it was an amazing deal (although I think that team could have competed in the WC for sure- see below) as much as I ask- "what else are they going to get in return for him". In a few weeks if Paul is dealt for a superior package then I'll admit to being wrong- but if they don't and this package ends up being their best offer I'll stand by how I feel right now. I mean the GM of the Hornets feltt the same way- he really liked that deal for NOH.

IDK. I think nothing is better TBH. They'd have a dreadful roster (ala Cavs) and get a top 5 pick in 2013 at worst.

And obviously there's still a chance they can get something from LAC.

regarding contracts- Martins 12 million would come off the books after next season, and Lamars eight million could have come off the books after this season. thats' 20 million off the books in two years, and while the NOH front office makes their decision, at least they can still fill their stadium with fans rooting for a playoff caliber team. that's contract relief in the near future, along with picks. teams have gotten a lot less for super-stars in the past than what NOH was getting for Paul.

Maybe. I'm just not sure too many people will be excited about a borderline playoff team that has no hopes of winning (see Atl who has had trouble selling tickets after its initial success from the Boston series in 08).

I though a squad with Okafor, Ariza, Odom, Scola and Martin were playoff locks. This team has a Detroit Pistons-esque well roundedness (minus the defensive prowess). I think that team, despite the hole at PG could have won has as many games, and gone just as far in the playoffs as Pauls Hornets.

Meh, questionable. Minus the defense prowess really takes away from the comparison lol. I mean, Pistons were great cause they were once in a generation type team at that end.

Again, I think it wouldn't matter to fans knowing realistically that team wasn't going to ever win.

was it a rebuilding package? no. but i totally disagree with the notion that NOH got the short end of the stick in the deal. I thought it was pretty well-rounded. it left LAL with massive holes in their front court, and Houston gave up a lot of talent as well.

I just don't think it puts NOH in the right direction at all. Just delays the inevitable.

Then again, I'm not one to act like I'm professional in the business side of things with ticket sales, etc.

AddiX
12-12-2011, 12:44 AM
Doent Lamar take less money to stay with LA?

Bruno
12-12-2011, 12:48 AM
IDK. I think nothing is better TBH. They'd have a dreadful roster (ala Cavs) and get a top 5 pick in 2013 at worst.

Maybe. I'm just not sure too many people will be excited about a borderline playoff team that has no hopes of winning (see Atl who has had trouble selling tickets after its initial success from the Boston series in 08).

Meh, questionable. Minus the defense prowess really takes away from the comparison lol. I mean, Pistons were great cause they were once in a generation type team at that end.

Again, I think it wouldn't matter to fans knowing realistically that team wasn't going to ever win.

I just don't think it puts NOH in the right direction at all. Just delays the inevitable.

Then again, I'm not one to act like I'm professional in the business side of things with ticket sales, etc.

all good points. an argument could be made that nothing is better in the long run. I just feel like it starts the entire cycle over again- I mean that's how they got Paul in the first place, lol.

i'd like to think that the fans of NOH would rather see a well-rounded team fighting for playoff position, opposed to a bottom-dweller. although your Atlanta Hawks comparison makes a lot of sense and kind of combats my point.

if the priority is to find an owner for NOH- then maybe constructing a team with bottom-dwelling pay roll should be the priority. or maybe it could be a competitive, but not favored team that can still sell tickets and merchandise. im no expert either. I just think that Houston got the shaft the hardest (only exception being if they were able to clear cap and team Marc with Pau).

not the perfect deal, but I thought it was as even as we see a lot of trades these days.

Zefflin
12-12-2011, 02:15 AM
Kobe's time has passed. He is not a factor anymore

HAHA, you can't be serious...I hope you stick around this season here at psd. Such a brilliant logical comment you made, really, I think you should post more.

Better-Than-You
12-12-2011, 02:24 AM
So much disrespect for the MJ of this era....
Odom isn't worth 20m a year however keeping Kobe happy is.
Kobe ALONE makes 80m for Buss. Add the TV Deal, do you really think the Lakers need to shed salary for no reason? Odom is a whiny crybaby and deserved to be traded to Toronto or Milwaukee, not the defending world champs...

ink
12-12-2011, 02:27 AM

Agreed on all points.

ink
12-12-2011, 02:31 AM
all good points. an argument could be made that nothing is better in the long run. I just feel like it starts the entire cycle over again- I mean that's how they got Paul in the first place, lol.

i'd like to think that the fans of NOH would rather see a well-rounded team fighting for playoff position, opposed to a bottom-dweller. although your Atlanta Hawks comparison makes a lot of sense and kind of combats my point.

if the priority is to find an owner for NOH- then maybe constructing a team with bottom-dwelling pay roll should be the priority. or maybe it could be a competitive, but not favored team that can still sell tickets and merchandise. im no expert either. I just think that Houston got the shaft the hardest (only exception being if they were able to clear cap and team Marc with Pau).

not the perfect deal, but I thought it was as even as we see a lot of trades these days.

If they're preparing NOH for sale to a new owner they have to be able to offer potential and a new start. That doesn't exist with a bunch of 30 something vets.

What people are forgetting about getting "shafted" is you play with fire all the time (i.e. free agency) you get burned. I would like to see more intervention, not less. The league needs to find some legal recourse to preventing these insane team-stacking deals. I hope this sets some sort of precedent even though I agree it is stretching the league's mandate. The league is in such desperate shape it needs to extraordinary actions to be taken.