PDA

View Full Version : Billups threatens bidders

Pages : [1] 2

Nyc4You
12-10-2011, 04:18 PM
WojYahooNBA Adrian Wojnarowski
For teams considering claim on Chauncey Billups, he tells Y!: "A leader can be as disruptive as he can be productive..This is about me now."
9 minutes ago

Billups: "People take my kindness and professionalism for weakness. They think I’ll be OK with (getting claimed). I won’t be OK with this."
6 minutes ago

Billups wants freedom to choose team. Warns those who'd claim him: You'll regret it. "I'm tired of being the glue guy." Story soon on Y!
4 minutes ago

Story : http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=aw-wojnarowski_billups_amnesty_waiver_121011

Hes really mad. i feel for him but damn dude calm down

roshan3ai
12-10-2011, 04:19 PM
I really like the dude, but I hate how he's handling this. For the sake of him not going to Miami, I hope someone picks him up regardless

Ano705
In before laker fans turn this into a lebron-bashing thread.

ChaseHamels
Nothing professional about that..

kozelkid
12-10-2011, 04:20 PM
Gilbert will pick him up and just let him rot at home.

justinnum1
Trying to come to miami, i love it:D

Raps18-19 Champ
What a douche bag.

Cal827
I'm just waiting for the Comment: "Gilbert, if you claim me, I'll hold Irving Hostage at a Miami airport."

Sportfan
Come on Gilbert :pray:

HOZ THE KNICK
12-10-2011, 04:21 PM
Trying to come to miami, i love it:D

i thought you miami fans was saying last yr he was washed up, what happen?

THE MTL
12-10-2011, 04:22 PM
You know at first I felt bad for him, but then I realized that he just received 14.2 million dollars. I'm not feeling bad for anyone who just made that kind of money.

Very unprofessional.

infernoscurse
12-10-2011, 04:22 PM
cry baby douche

zB_#85
12-10-2011, 04:23 PM
lol I am so tired of NBA players. Someone pick him up and sit his *** on the bench just to keep him away from his "desired team" then see how much it's "about him."

The_Jamal
12-10-2011, 04:24 PM
Billups can suck one. You're a professional athlete making $14.2 million dollars and you're going to ***** because you can't pick where you want to go.

Catfish1314
I don't blame him. He's been bounced around a bit the last couple of years and he's on the move again. The money has spoiled him.

JollyRanch
lol

Dade County
12-10-2011, 04:25 PM

His not an all star player... but anything is better then chamlers playing big time minutes with us.

Bring your talents to south beach, Mr Big shot.

JNA17
Jermaine O'neal threatens to join with Miami if waived/traded, and now Billups with this. Someone tell these guys this isn't 2004 anymore.

nycericanguy
what happens if a team claims him and he retires? Can he come back later and pick his team?

justinnum1
12-10-2011, 04:26 PM

And knicks fans are talking about shumpert locking down wade...so i dont want to hear ****.

We will take him for the min.

Dade County
12-10-2011, 04:27 PM
what happens if a team claims him and he retires? Can he come back later and pick his team?

I don't think so.

llemon
12-10-2011, 04:27 PM

That's probably up to Stern.

Nyc4You
12-10-2011, 04:28 PM
And knicks fans are talking about shumpert locking down wade...so i dont want to hear ****.

Dont generalize us with 1 post. Besides, he has the "POTENTIAL" to lock up defenders including wade:shrug:

Ciruam
12-10-2011, 04:28 PM
I bet he's not giving the 14.mil back so he should just sit down and accept whatever team claims him. After this year he can pick whatever team he want to go too.

don'tfireNedCo
12-10-2011, 04:30 PM
are players today really this whiny? or is it that in yesteryears there was no twitters or facebook to hear about their personal feelings when guys got traded around? i don't remember terry cummings, michael cage or norm nixon ever complaining, but maybe they did and we just didn't hear about it then.

gotoHcarolina52
12-10-2011, 04:30 PM
Dear Laker Fans,

Do not be so hypocritical as to tell Billups to STFU only to come back and hope and pray that Dwight nags his way to LA.

don'tfireNedCo
12-10-2011, 04:31 PM

no the existing contract is still valid and whoever picks him up on waver still have the rights to his service.

JNA17
12-10-2011, 04:31 PM
Dear Laker Fans,

Do not be so hypocritical as to tell Billups to STFU only to come back and hope and pray that Dwight nags his way to LA.

what lakers fans are you talking too?

Slug3
12-10-2011, 04:32 PM
If this is how its going to be when someone get the good ole amnesty, then it was a stupid rule to make. They should have made a penalty for a player who gets selected but doesn't report. like a 2 year ban or something.

Hawkeye15
12-10-2011, 04:33 PM
And Billups, after 16 seasons where I respected him a ton, just lost my respect completely. I hope Gilbert picks him up and lets just pays him to sit at the house.

llemon
12-10-2011, 04:34 PM
are players today really this whiny? or is it that in yesteryears there was no twitters or facebook to hear about their personal feelings when guys got traded around? i don't remember terry cummings, michael cage or norm nixon ever complaining, but maybe they did and we just didn't hear about it then.

Do you remember Dominique Wilkins being drafted by the Jazz and refusing to play for them?

SteelBlitz
12-10-2011, 04:34 PM
He isn't handling this great but he does deserve to choose his next team I think.

Also, QUESTION: if Chauncey does not get selected by a team and then signs with say the Heat.

Does he still get the money from the Knicks? Or does be only get the new contract?

llemon
12-10-2011, 04:35 PM
And Billups, after 16 seasons where I respected him a ton, just lost my respect completely. I hope Gilbert picks him up and lets just pays him to sit at the house.

Cavs aren't under the cap yet

Tony_Starks
Dear Laker Fans,

Im still puzzled as to what exactly this has to do with Laker fans?

Anyways I understand what Chauncey is saying. He's at the point in his career where he wants to help a contender, and he's definitely earned that.

The new amnesty rules are a joke.

Tmath
you are getting paid millions

stfu & do your job @sshole

Slug3
12-10-2011, 04:36 PM
He isn't handling this great but he does deserve to choose his next team I think.

Also, QUESTION: if Chauncey does not get selected by a team and then signs with say the Heat.

Does he still get the money from the Knicks? Or does be only get the new contract?

If no one picks him up the knicks owe him the 14 million. If someone bids on him for like 2 million and gets him, they pay 2 million and knicks 12 million. Or I think I read this is how it works correct?

KB-Pau-DH2012
Chauncey is completely justified. He's been thrown around like a rag doll, from his early career on, and then when the Pistons bounced him to Denver, who then bounced him to NYK, who then bounced him to unemployment.

He's a former NBA Champion and former NBA Finals MVP, joining the likes of (since 1980):

Magic
Worthy
Kareem
MJ
Bird
Shaq
Kobe
Wade
Tony Parker
Pierce
Isiah
Dumars
Hakeem
Duncan
Dirk
Cedric Maxwell

Dade County
If this is how its going to be when someone get the good ole amnesty, then it was a stupid rule to make. They should have made a penalty for a player who gets selected but doesn't report. like a 2 year ban or something.

Agreed...

Tony_Starks
12-10-2011, 04:37 PM

Gets paid regardless. The only difference is another team can pay a portion of his contract but either way he still gets his 14milli no matter what happens....

kozelkid
Do you remember Dominique Wilkins being drafted by the Jazz and refusing to play for them?

Or Magic refusing to enter the draft unless LA had the pick.

justinnum1

Yes, thats the hilarious part. If billups comes to the heat, knicks will be paying him lmfao

jammastershake
lol I am so tired of NBA players. Someone pick him up and sit his *** on the bench just to keep him away from his "desired team" then see how much it's "about him."

lol coming from a lakers fan hoping that paul and howard force trades to their desired team..... the lakers.

Corey
12-10-2011, 04:39 PM
Billups is one of my favorite people in the NBA. Not because of his style of play, but the professionalism he has displayed over the course of his career, and the way he has conducted himself.

I absolutely hate the way he's handling this.

RC3
12-10-2011, 04:41 PM
Just go to the nuggets Billups. I know you got injured three times on purpose while u played for the knicks.

Hawkeye15
12-10-2011, 04:41 PM
Cavs aren't under the cap yet

oh I know, its only a matter (Baron Davis) of time..

Tony_Starks
12-10-2011, 04:42 PM
lol coming from a lakers fan hoping that paul and howard force trades to their desired team..... the lakers.

Yet another jab at the Lakers out of left field. You guys are really bitter over this trade I see. Sorry to hear that.......

hgtiger32
12-10-2011, 04:42 PM
can't really blame Billups. End of career. Want's to win. Been bounced around a lot in trade rumors and actual trades.

PurpleJesus
12-10-2011, 04:43 PM
**** you chauncey

KingstonHawke
12-10-2011, 04:43 PM
Sounds like he's either going to Miami or LA. Can't really see any other location that makes sense for both sides involved.

And if any bad team is stupid enough to bid on him, I hope he pulls a Brandon Marshall.

DJYankee
12-10-2011, 04:45 PM
Oh yea Billups get cocky out there. It is about you now!

zB_#85
12-10-2011, 04:46 PM

When did I ever say I hoped they force their way? Show me that post. I said I wouldn't be surprised b/c that's the way of the NBA today. I've actually said I dont like how much were giving up and now it got ugly with the feelings hurt and damage done so thats the only reason I'm kinda pulling for it to happen now. In general I don't like what the NBA has become with players calling their shots. In LA's case, I wouldn't morally agree with how it goes down if it happened but I'm also not going to stop cheering for a team I've loved since '92...

kozelkid
12-10-2011, 04:47 PM
Sounds like he's either going to Miami or LA. Can't really see any other location that makes sense for both sides involved.

And if any bad team is stupid enough to bid on him, I hope he pulls a Brandon Marshall.

I think Chicago would make sense if he'd play the 2 like in the world championships.

But I'm sure he prefers playing the 1.

And he's still a good player. I bet he gets over it eventually. If not, well then there are certainly teams that will do it out of spite.

Gram
12-10-2011, 04:47 PM
dear laker fans,

do not be so hypocritical as to tell billups to stfu only to come back and hope and pray that dwight nags his way to la.

this!

The Apprentice
12-10-2011, 04:48 PM

players who retire must wait one season before they can return....

Corey
I'm going to laugh if he gets claimed by the Hornets.

They'll need a PG.

ClippersE.G
wow this is surprising. another player acting like a diva

(sarcastic)

llemon
12-10-2011, 04:49 PM
Yet another jab at the Lakers out of left field. You guys are really bitter over this trade I see. Sorry to hear that.......

I dislike the Lakers, but like the trade.

Evolution23

Lol Miami is gonna hype billups up like crazy if he goes to south beach. on the knicks he was washed up. smh

nyanks79

If its the Heat or another team that is over the cap then he gets both.

Corey
12-10-2011, 04:50 PM

Ignore it bruh. Haters gon' hate.

Anilyzer
12-10-2011, 04:50 PM
For teams considering claim on Chauncey Billups, he tells Y!: "A leader can be as disruptive as he can be productive..This is about me now."
9 minutes ago

Billups: "People take my kindness and professionalism for weakness. They think Iíll be OK with (getting claimed). I wonít be OK with this."
6 minutes ago

Billups wants freedom to choose team. Warns those who'd claim him: You'll regret it. "I'm tired of being the glue guy." Story soon on Y!
4 minutes ago

Story : http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=aw-wojnarowski_billups_amnesty_waiver_121011

Hes really mad. i feel for him but damn dude calm down

Toronto needs a PG, and the price is right.

GiantsSwaGG
12-10-2011, 04:51 PM
Classless and a B****...he shouldn't be allowed back in the league.

thekmp211
12-10-2011, 04:52 PM
he was never in new york's long-term plans. wonder who he wants to play for.

Gram
12-10-2011, 04:52 PM
I still love Chauncey.

Jonathan2323
12-10-2011, 04:53 PM
He's earned the right to play for a contender. I would do the same thing. He's not some young player still trying to prove himself.

gotoHcarolina52
Lol Miami is gonna hype billups up like crazy if he goes to south beach. on the knicks he was washed up. smh

Homer will be homers. Every team has their share.

zB_#85
I'm going to laugh if he gets claimed by the Hornets.

They'll need a PG.

:laugh:

seriously though that's a lock for the playoffs

Billups/KMart/Odom/Scola/Emeka

Great rebounding team too.

PhillyFaninLA
12-10-2011, 04:54 PM
wow this is surprising. another player acting like a diva

(sarcastic)

Tell me about it the NBA has more divas then the music industry.

t2a2e9j12
12-10-2011, 04:55 PM
dear new york, miami, la, new jersey, or any other team that supports the current broken nba sytem dont critize players for wanting to choose where they play hello hippocrits

therealwd27
12-10-2011, 04:55 PM
Only 6 teams can bid, nuggets pacers wizards grizzles kings and nets. His agent and him are warning all those don't sign him. He won't play. You have to believe he wants pay back to Knicks. They screwed him. They should've just let him walk last year. But we will see what happens. But I think he goes to MiA :)

don'tfireNedCo
12-10-2011, 04:56 PM

yes. also him going to europe rather than to resign with us after the manning trade. there were always a few premadonnas but not to the extend of todays athletes, just wondering its all the media outlets and twitters today that we get to see what we otherwise didn't get to see through out the league in the past, or kids today just don't have the same attitude, grits, and honor they used to.

LanceUpperCut
12-10-2011, 04:58 PM
He's earned the right to play for a contender. I would do the same thing. He's not some young player still trying to prove himself.

So when he's a free agent he can do that like every other ****ing player. If you want to be made at someone be mad at the team that cut you don't **** over a team that actually thinks your valuable and willing to take you on.

Shmontaine
12-10-2011, 05:00 PM
Gilbert will pick him up and just let him rot at home.

I believe he would at least put a mil down to secure that billups can't go to miami

if he retires while he's able to play, he forfeits his money... my guess would be that he will not retire, no matter what...

guarantee that a small market owner will throw at least something at him.. and then tell him not to report, tell him to stay home, move to miami, and take all the time he needs for himself, since this 'is about' billups now...

LanceUpperCut
12-10-2011, 05:01 PM
What ever happen to dealing with things like a pro. The NBA is ****ed with these ungrateful pricks. Hey Chauncy some time you don't get everything you want and real men deal with it. So suck it up princess and do your ****ing job.

IndyRealist
12-10-2011, 05:02 PM
$1. Just to be a jerk.

ayuntalo
12-10-2011, 05:05 PM
Why is everyone getting mad at billups?
as greats as billups is he deserves to threaten teams and choose where he goes and play fo a contender. JUST LIKE STOCKTON DID!!
oh no he didnt..

fvck chauncey! give him a quarter for his laundry

Toxeryll
12-10-2011, 05:06 PM
what a douche.. if this is true, i hope he never win a championship

Toxeryll
12-10-2011, 05:08 PM

im not even wondering why you said that

J_M_B
12-10-2011, 05:08 PM

He won a championship in '04 with the Pistons ....

Blink
12-10-2011, 05:10 PM
I understand all the hate for Billups right now. But early in his career I think 6 teams passed on him until he found Detroit. Now he is kinda being bounced around again. Den/NY/??
No matter what he is still in my top 5 favorite players ever.
but then again he is making more in a week than I do a year so I guess can't feel to bad for him.

tcav701
12-10-2011, 05:11 PM
Gilbert is about to get 2 blocks on his stat sheet...

One for CP3 and one for CB.

Blink

:clap:
Hahahah

Shmontaine
Only 6 teams can bid, nuggets pacers wizards grizzles kings and nets. His agent and him are warning all those don't sign him. He won't play. You have to believe he wants pay back to Knicks. They screwed him. They should've just let him walk last year. But we will see what happens. But I think he goes to MiA :)

still not doing enough research...

Gram
12-10-2011, 05:13 PM

:facepalm:

SDDodger
12-10-2011, 05:15 PM
They should have made it so any amnestied player who fails report forfeits the entire amount of their contract. That would put an end to the bs of players trying to force their was to a team of their choice. If player becomes disruptive for their new team they should be suspend without pay.

gaughan333
12-10-2011, 05:21 PM
They should have made it so any amnestied player who fails report forfeits the entire amount of their contract. That would put an end to the bs of players trying to force their was to a team of their choice. If player becomes disruptive for their new team they should be suspend without pay.

I like this idea very much, but I don't think the NBPA would have agreed to it. Chauncey was always one of those players I liked, I thought he was above this ****...

If he doesn't want to go play for these teams then fine, take they required year off...I hope on principle he is not allowed to go play where he wants. These NBA players are a joke and so is the league. When did this all really start, the decision summer?

Gators123
12-10-2011, 05:30 PM

lol

KingstonHawke
12-10-2011, 05:34 PM

That's such a dumb idea. So what, if a player goes on a super cold streak, the team can just say he's acting out and keep his salary? You thought that one through obviously.

2-15's4-22's
12-10-2011, 05:34 PM
i wonder if he would get the same reaction if he said Denver instead of heat

Gram
12-10-2011, 05:35 PM
That's such a dumb idea. So what, if a player goes on a super cold streak, the team can just say he's acting out and keep his salary? You thought that one through obviously.

There's a guideline that you should follow in this forum. Don't start arguing until you at least can have a signature...

gaughan333
12-10-2011, 05:37 PM

Obviously not what he meant? Billups said that he could be disruptive. You'd obviously have to show actual instances of acting out not just try to use it as an excuse not to pay a player. Also, why would the team that is picking him up care that much about him losing his contract with the other team? The most money will be paid by the Knicks, not the team that he is being bid on by.

strahan92osi72
12-10-2011, 05:38 PM
Yea cool story Chuancey. I'm sure you had that same exact attitude when you came to the Knicks last year. Which would explain you being out every other game and showing complete lack of interest and heart of being on the Knicks. Good thing the Knicks saw through your "professionalism" mask, because you never fooled too many Knick fans. The disappearing act you pulled in the playoffs because of a strained knee, lol, that was the final straw.

2-15's4-22's
12-10-2011, 05:41 PM
There's a guideline that you should follow in this forum. Don't start arguing until you at least can have a signature...

lol

Toxeryll
12-10-2011, 05:46 PM

oh ****, how did i missed thattt... Im an idiot

ManningToTyree
12-10-2011, 05:49 PM
Someone will claim him to keep him away from Miami and he will retire. He is acting like a big douche

GodsSon
12-10-2011, 05:51 PM
Just retire now then Chauncey.

strahan92osi72
12-10-2011, 05:51 PM
Someone will claim him to keep him away from Miami and he will retire. He is acting like a big douche

Let him retire, what a freakin phony. I saw right through it in his whole time with the Knicks, he never wanted to be here and it showed. He missed every other friggin game. Either he was doggin it (my personal opinion) or he really was hurt, in which case he's better off retiring anyway.

ayuntalo
12-10-2011, 05:52 PM
i wonder if he would get the same reaction if he said Denver instead of heat

coming from a Heat fan lol.
and FYI he didnt even mention MIA :rolleyes:

VillaMaravilla
12-10-2011, 05:54 PM
lol one more knee to Billups by Dhoward and hell be out for the season lol.........cry me a river CB

topdog
12-10-2011, 05:55 PM
I kind of feel for Billups with getting traded from hometown Denver (where it sounded like he wanted to end his contract and career) to New York (which he dealt with) and then getting shipped somewhere else bearing in mind that he led the Pistons to a championship after a journeyman's career BUT it's ridiculous for any of these players to make proclamations that they will not play to their contract for a team that claims them. That should put you out of the league right there.

VillaMaravilla
12-10-2011, 05:55 PM

can anyone say Gilbert lol that guy will claim him and send him home aslong he doesnt go to Lebron lmao

MTar786
12-10-2011, 05:57 PM
LoL basically chauncey is tryig to say.. "please dont stop me from going to miami"

gaughan333
12-10-2011, 05:57 PM
The nba really shouldn't allow players to do this kind of ****. All of these contracts need good faith clauses.

topdog
12-10-2011, 06:00 PM
The nba really shouldn't allow players to do this kind of ****. All of these contracts need good faith clauses.
The NBA just got done finishing one CBA and already has work to do on the next one :(

SA5195
12-10-2011, 06:00 PM
Wow never expected this from Billups.

Gormans Mic
12-10-2011, 06:01 PM
The NBA is officially becoming a joke, where a handful of teams are good based on the star players more or less dictating everything.....The commissioner is a mad man, the players are a bunch of girl scouts who fall down when someone breaths on them. I could ignore the awful officiating, the lack of following the rules, but now the players are dictating which teams become "super teams"....what a joke.

flimflamman
12-10-2011, 06:01 PM
Lots of teams would want him since he is pretty much free and a above average player. I dont think any of the teams will be fearfull. They can pick him up and then trade him if he is a pain. But for acting like a D bag I hope Cleveland or the Bobcats take him.

TylerSL
12-10-2011, 06:05 PM
lol @ some of you guys. Is Billups being a jerk now? Yes, I would say he is. But to the people saying "**** you Chauncey" and "I hope a team claims you just so you cant go to the Heat" here is what I say to you. How did you feel when the NBA cheated the Lakers out of CP3? Now you want to do that to Billups? He didnt do ANYTHING to any of your teams. All he wants to do is have a decision of where he wants to go. Now, YES, he is being a diva in this situation. But lets be honest here, what NBA player that wants to change teams isnt? Howard met up with NJ in Miami, which is TAMPERING. Melo pulled all his **** in Denver to get to New York. CP3 is going to pull a Melo if he isnt out of New Orleans soon.

So to all the people that pretend to be offended by this. You guys really need to wake up. Yes, what Billups is doing is not good. Personally, I would love to see him in Miami, but I will admit what he is doing is wrong. However, it isnt anything new, and you guys shouldnt be pissed at Billups just because he wants to come to a team (probably Miami). I can also understand his frustration. He was a great player for the Pistons. Then Detriot turns around and trades him in the AI deal. Then he gets thrown in the Melo deal to NY just to match salaries. Now, he is getting cut. I can understand why he wants to choose the team he goes to. However, he is being a diva, but 95% of the people in this thread, including myself have done far far worse. So shut the **** up.

RevisIsland
12-10-2011, 06:06 PM
Dan Gilbert is ABSOLUTELY gonna claim him for the minimum to keep him from Miami and then just not play him if he's a distraction.

tcav701
12-10-2011, 06:06 PM
Hey Chanuncey,

Either give up you salary or shut the **** up.

thank you.

Rain 816
12-10-2011, 06:07 PM
lol @ some of you guys. Is Billups being a jerk now? Yes, I would say he is. But to the people saying "**** you Chauncey" and "I hope a team claims you just so you cant go to the Heat" here is what I say to you. How did you feel when the NBA cheated the Lakers out of CP3? Now you want to do that to Billups? He didnt do ANYTHING to any of your teams. All he wants to do is have a decision of where he wants to go. Now, YES, he is being a diva in this situation. But lets be honest here, what NBA player that wants to change teams isnt? Howard met up with NJ in Miami, which is TAMPERING. Melo pulled all his **** in Denver to get to New York. CP3 is going to pull a Melo if he isnt out of New Orleans soon.

So to all the people that pretend to be offended by this. You guys really need to wake up. Yes, what Billups is doing is not good. Personally, I would love to see him in Miami, but I will admit what he is doing is wrong. However, it isnt anything new, and you guys shouldnt be pissed at Billups just because he wants to come to a team (probably Miami). I can also understand his frustration. He is a great player for the Pistons. Then Detriot turns around and trades him in the AI deal. Then he gets thrown in the Melo deal to NY just to match salaries. Now, he is getting cut. I can understand why he wants to choose the team he goes to. However, he is being a diva, but 95% of the people in this thread, including myself have done far far worse. So shut the **** up.

:clap::clap:

DLeeicious
12-10-2011, 06:09 PM
Don't even know where to begin reading that. Respect for Billups completely gone. What a selfish outlook. GTFO of the league you d-bag

gaughan333
12-10-2011, 06:09 PM
The NBA has some major issues to deal with...

There is the idea of a franchise tag for these players, but what stops them from just half-assing it until they get dealt to where they wanna go anyway?

gaughan333
12-10-2011, 06:12 PM

So to all the people that pretend to be offended by this. You guys really need to wake up. Yes, what Billups is doing is not good. Personally, I would love to see him in Miami, but I will admit what he is doing is wrong. However, it isnt anything new, and you guys shouldnt be pissed at Billups just because he wants to come to a team (probably Miami). I can also understand his frustration. He was a great player for the Pistons. Then Detriot turns around and trades him in the AI deal. Then he gets thrown in the Melo deal to NY just to match salaries. Now, he is getting cut. I can understand why he wants to choose the team he goes to. However, he is being a diva, but 95% of the people in this thread, including myself have done far far worse. So shut the **** up.

He can choose to go to a team...when his contract is up. All of these players being babies about where they go need to stfu and play out their contracts. If he doesn't wanna get bid on, then he needs to retire, and then return in a year when he should be free to sign with whatever team he wants. The NBA has rules...either follow them or stop playing...

AI4MVP
12-10-2011, 06:14 PM
I have lost all respect for Chauncey Billups

DLeeicious

Also don't know where to begin with this incredibly awful attempt at a Skip Bayless type contrary point of view argument.

marj987
:cry:

Super.
12-10-2011, 06:15 PM
:laugh2:

C-Wick925
12-10-2011, 06:15 PM
Chauncey is completely justified. He's been thrown around like a rag doll, from his early career on, and then when the Pistons bounced him to Denver, who then bounced him to NYK, who then bounced him to unemployment.

He's a former NBA Champion and former NBA Finals MVP, joining the likes of (since 1980):

Magic
Worthy
Kareem
MJ
Bird
Shaq
Kobe
Wade
Tony Parker
Pierce
Isiah
Dumars
Hakeem
Duncan
Dirk
Cedric Maxwell

Great post :clap:

TylerSL
12-10-2011, 06:16 PM
He can choose to go to a team...when his contract is up. All of these players being babies about where they go need to stfu and play out their contracts. If he doesn't wanna get bid on, then he needs to retire, and then return in a year when he should be free to sign with whatever team he wants. The NBA has rules...either follow them or stop playing...

the Knicks are the ones cutting him. If you ask me if a team is going to cut you. You should be able to get out of your contract. The Knicks shouldnt have to pay him 14 million, and he should get to choose where he wants to go. Stupid rule

TylerSL
12-10-2011, 06:17 PM
Also don't know where to begin with this incredibly awful attempt at a Skip Bayless type contrary point of view argument.

lol Skip Bayless type

gaughan333
the Knicks are the ones cutting him.....

I don't understand the point you are trying to make

beliges
The NBA has some major issues to deal with...

There is the idea of a franchise tag for these players, but what stops them from just half-assing it until they get dealt to where they wanna go anyway?

Ive always been saying that the NBA needs to do what the NFL does and allow teams to cut players and stop paying them if they underperform. These guys need to understand its a privilege to play in this league, not a right. If you dont like how you are being treated you are more than welcome to leave the league and take your services elsewhere. If what a team or what the league is doing is illegal or shady then I understand why a player would have a gripe, like the CP3 ordeal. But, if everything is being done by the books and you are not happy, you can breach your contract, leave the millions on the table and walk away and pursue another profession.

TylerSL
12-10-2011, 06:20 PM
I don't understand the point you are trying to make

I edited post, sorry.

I meant by that, the Knicks are cutting him, so they shouldnt have to pay him the 14 million and he should be able to choose where he wants to go. Stupid rule.

gaughan333
12-10-2011, 06:20 PM
Non guaranteed contracts would be beneficial, but there is no way the PA agrees to it

gaughan333
12-10-2011, 06:23 PM
I edited post, sorry.

I meant by that, the Knicks are cutting him, so they shouldnt have to pay him the 14 million and he should be able to choose where he wants to go. Stupid rule.

I think it is an issue they didn't look into enough before implementing it. Also I think the players probably wanted it this way so they get the $ left on that contract. Perhaps they could have a clause in there, where the player can be paid the remaining money on their contract and enter the bidding process, or choose to leave the remaining $ of their contract and be a free agent. If you told chauncey that he could leave the 14 mil and be a free agent, I don't see him doing it to go play where he wanted...It may be a stupid rule, but it is a rule and until it is changed, players should have to follow it

DLeeicious
12-10-2011, 06:24 PM
I edited post, sorry.

And there it is. The fact that it is a rule and he is going to these lengths to get around the rule is the issue. What he/you think about the rule is irrelevant. The rule is in place. He has to deal with it and he is acting like a 10 year old about it and is looking beyond awful.

TylerSL
12-10-2011, 06:24 PM
Non guaranteed contracts would be beneficial, but there is no way the PA agrees to it

The amnesty rule would be a good idea, if it got a team out of paying the player at all. It just doesnt go against the cap. The fact that they still have to pay them is bad because 1. they are not out of their contracts and this kind of thing can happen and 2. if or when that players signs with another team he gets 2 paychecks. Just dumb all together.

topdog
12-10-2011, 06:26 PM

^This. If you want to be free to play wherever you want year-by-year than you need to give up guaranteed contracts. You can't have your cake and eat it too :no:

Bruno
12-10-2011, 06:27 PM
has bulliups said where he wants to go yet?

tcav701
12-10-2011, 06:28 PM
I edited post, sorry.

If the cut him regularly it would count against the cap.

The is an amnesty/waiver move.

Duh.

topdog
12-10-2011, 06:29 PM
The amnesty rule would be a good idea, if it got a team out of paying the player at all. It just doesnt go against the cap. The fact that they still have to pay them is bad because 1. they are not out of their contracts and this kind of thing can happen and 2. if or when that players signs with another team he gets 2 paychecks. Just dumb all together.

Two checks that still only equal the original contract they were amnestied from. They don't get paid extra.

This kind of thing happens in trades too. It was a legitimate way to bring some vet. talent (overpaid/underperforming, but still vet talent) to smaller markets.

tcav701
12-10-2011, 06:30 PM

This rule was created to prevent amnesty players from all going to stacked teams.

I cant believe people dont understand this.

sunsfan88
12-10-2011, 06:31 PM
What a loser. He's only been bounced once in his life before and that was from DEN to NY.

He wanted to come to Denver to play in his hometown and with 'Melo.

Its not like he's been traded to crappy teams before. I lost a lot of respect for Billups.

TylerSL
12-10-2011, 06:32 PM
And there it is. The fact that it is a rule and he is going to these lengths to get around the rule is the issue. What he/you think about the rule is irrelevant. The rule is in place. He has to deal with it and he is acting like a 10 year old about it and is looking beyond awful.

lol so I guess you also think its ok the NBA killed the CP3 to the Lakers deal too huh?

What you dont understand is yes I agree. He is being a bad guy in this, but EVERYBODY player that wants to leave a team they are currently playing for have acted like 10 year olds. Melo, Shaq, AI, Kobe, soon-to-be CP3, and probably soon-to-be Howard have all acted like 10 year olds to leave a team. CP3 will if he isnt traded by Monday (even tho the NBA did cheat him he was going to anyway if he wasnt traded) and Howard will if Orlando cant bring anybody to him. People (probably you to) have done MUCH WORSE. I stole my best friends books out of his locker in high school and destroyed them because I thought it would be halarious. It was, but it was an aweful thing to do. That is worse than what Billups or any of those other guys have done/is doing.

Note-My friend didnt have to pay for his books.

Jarvo
I don't blame him one bit all these other players throwing they're weight around & he's been so loyal to all his teams he played on so why he can't put matters in his own hands. And for all the ones saying he's wrong for what he doing stfu.

Nycbball08
Kick rocks billups...

TylerSL
This rule was created to prevent amnesty players from all going to stacked teams.

I cant believe people dont understand this.

Thats why we needed a hard cap.

gaughan333
What Billups is trying to pull...is exactly what they were attempting to stop.

Also, at the player being out of contract and not getting paid - I don't think they would have agreed to that

tcav701
12-10-2011, 06:33 PM
Thats why we needed a hard cap.

Couldnt agree with you more.

kntresistheheat
12-10-2011, 06:33 PM
has bulliups said where he wants to go yet?

He said Miami so far :)

SDDodger
12-10-2011, 06:34 PM
These players agreed to the CBA which had the amnesty clause as part of it. If it was not part would the small market owners have demanded more BRI? Now the first player who is amnestied pulls this. If the player decides against reporting and decides to retire the whole rest of his contract should be voided not just the part the bidding team is paying. That would give him 14 millin reasons to report.

gaughan333
12-10-2011, 06:34 PM
I don't blame him one bit all these other players throwing they're weight around & he's been so loyal to all his teams he played on so why he can't put matters in his own hands. And for all the ones saying he's wrong for what he doing stfu.

Just because other people are acting like children doesn't make it ok....

Are you a heat fan?

Spurred1
12-10-2011, 06:35 PM
Pretty unprofessional behavior.

TylerSL
12-10-2011, 06:36 PM
Couldnt agree with you more.

I am a Heat fan and I think we needed it. Yes, I dont want to get rid of what we have, but I could understand it. But the amnesty rule is stupid, and Billups is just as justified as every other player that has ever forced his way or tried to force his way to another team (Yes, I am talking about Melo, Shaq, Kobe, CP3, and Howard).

iam brett favre
12-10-2011, 06:36 PM
:sigh: More big names making the NBA look awful and themselves look like selfish *******. God I hate most NBA players.

gotoHcarolina52
12-10-2011, 06:37 PM
^This. If you want to be free to play wherever you want year-by-year than you need to give up guaranteed contracts. You can't have your cake and eat it too :no:

Good idea.

seikou8
12-10-2011, 06:38 PM
wow billlups youre geting payed 14.2 mlilions dollas your not even a top 10 pg

tcav701
12-10-2011, 06:38 PM
I am a Heat fan and I think we needed it. Yes, I dont want to get rid of what we have, but I could understand it. But the amnesty rule is stupid, and Billups is just as justified as every other player that has ever forced his way or tried to force his way to another team (Yes, I am talking about Melo, Shaq, Kobe, CP3, and Howard).

the NBA is moving more towards the MLB than the NFL and that is a terrible, terrible thing.

DLeeicious
12-10-2011, 06:40 PM
lol so I guess you also think its ok the NBA killed the CP3 to the Lakers deal too huh?

What you dont understand is yes I agree. He is being a bad guy in this, but EVERYBODY player that wants to leave a team they are currently playing for have acted like 10 year olds. Melo, Shaq, AI, Kobe, soon-to-be CP3, and probably soon-to-be Howard have all acted like 10 year olds to leave a team. CP3 will if he isnt traded by Monday (even tho the NBA did cheat him he was going to anyway if he wasnt traded) and Howard will if Orlando cant bring anybody to him. People (probably you to) have done MUCH WORSE. I stole my best friends books out of his locker in high school and destroyed them because I thought it would be halarious. It was, but it was an aweful thing to do. That is worse than what Billups or any of those other guys have done/is doing.

Note-My friend didnt have to pay for his books.

This is 100% unrelated to the CP3 issue. The CP3 issue is completely uncharted gray area and not black and white. This issue IS 100% black and white and Chauncey is in the wrong.

And wtf does you stealing books in high school have to do with anything? That is the most random thing I've ever seen.

gaughan333
12-10-2011, 06:41 PM

This is the issue I have with your point of view I guess. Those players, imo, were not justified in doing this.

The only argument I could agree with would be the CP3 trade. I don't think that really should have been blocked

TylerSL
12-10-2011, 06:44 PM
This is 100% unrelated to the CP3 issue. The CP3 issue is completely uncharted gray area and not black and white. This issue IS 100% black and white and Chauncey is in the wrong.

And wtf does you stealing books in high school have to do with anything? That is the most random thing I've ever seen.

lol there are similarities in what CP3 intends to do and what Billups said. Whether you choose to see it or not, its there. I meant by the stealing the books. People have done worse.

TylerSL
12-10-2011, 06:45 PM
This is the issue I have with your point of view I guess. Those players, imo, were not justified in doing this.

The only argument I could agree with would be the CP3 trade. I don't think that really should have been blocked

the NBA completely CHEATED CP3. But he was going to pull a Melo if he wasnt traded before they cheated him, so yes I included him.

Matrix3132
12-10-2011, 06:45 PM
My favorite part of his rant:

ďI want my freedom. My goal is to control my own destiny. And as youíve seen in my career, Iíve never been in a position to do that."

You could've put yourself in position to control your own destiny by signing one year deals instead of signing the 5 yr/$60mil deal in 2007, just saying....

TylerSL
12-10-2011, 06:47 PM
^ none of them were really justified but they did pull their **** to get out or to another team didnt they?

Marlin234
12-10-2011, 06:53 PM
Ignore it bruh. Haters gon' hate.

Just like people hated on Miami getting Lebron.. Smdh

Iggz53
12-10-2011, 06:58 PM
He's acting like a child. Players aren't supposed to pick where they want to play, deal with it.

--23--
12-10-2011, 07:11 PM
What a loser. He's only been bounced once in his life before and that was from DEN to NY.

He wanted to come to Denver to play in his hometown and with 'Melo.

Its not like he's been traded to crappy teams before. I lost a lot of respect for Billups.

:facepalm: Billups been traded to 6-7 teams if i'm correct. What i think he's upset about is he never wanted to leave Denver, he wanted to stay in his hometown not be in NY. That's the main reason i feel he's upset.

Also Billups didn't want to play with Melo in Denver he never knew he was getting traded by the Pistons. The Pistons f/o wanted to shake things up on the team and traded Billups for Iverson.

gaughan333
12-10-2011, 07:12 PM
I'm ok with the players picking where they wanna play, when they are free agents.

dtmagnet
12-10-2011, 07:12 PM
How can a player make these comments and not get fined for it? We have seen players get fined for less. Hope this is the end of his career, we don't need these kinds of douchebags in the NBA.

NYK4L
12-10-2011, 07:18 PM
Showing he's true colors...He never wanted to be a Knick, they did him a favor, hopefully he ends up on a really crappy team.

Lord Leoshes
12-10-2011, 07:57 PM

Just like what happened to Derick Harper.

Lord Leoshes
12-10-2011, 08:09 PM
After all the mobster tactics the NBA used on the players over the summer, i am glad that the little guys are fighting back against the industry, & telling them all, that they will not be any one's slave.

They were unfairly train railed in the negotiation, so they should fight for every inch possible to reclaim what was already theirs to begin with.

knicksfan42
12-10-2011, 08:26 PM
He should be heavily fined and suspended for a long time. He is blatantly trying to circumvent an NBA rule. He is (albeit somewhat indirectly) telling teams that they shouldn't bother bidding on him, because he wont play for them or at least wont give them 100%. He says he might retire if he doesn't go to the team he wants, well hopefully Stern speeds up the process with a yearly suspension. He is saying "yea the rule says you can bid on me, but **** it, you better not because if I don't like your team I'll play poorly, not listen to you, or not play for your team at all and retire.

greek miami hea
12-10-2011, 08:32 PM
JerryZgoda The Wolves have until 5 pm Monday to make a blind bid for Chauncey Billups but don't expect them to do so.
i dont know.the heat and the minny had always good relationships

Lone Maverick
12-10-2011, 08:32 PM
I can understand wanting to go where you want to and all that but does he not know NBA is a business? Dude is acting ridiculous.

Kevj77
12-10-2011, 08:41 PM
Billups has said he would possibly retire rather than play if he gets picked up and that he is tired of being tossed around just so teams can make the money work.

I really believe it’s because people take my kindness and professionalism for weakness. They think I’ll be OK with this. I won’t be OK with this. I’ve saved my money. I may just retire if I don’t get my freedom here.If this is how he feels and is ready to back it up and retire I have no problem with him being outspoken about wanting to control his own destiny and play for a contender in the twilight of his career.

Some posters here are so bitter it amazes me.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=aw-wojnarowski_billups_amnesty_waiver_121011

TylerSL
12-10-2011, 08:41 PM
he should be heavily fined and suspended for a long time. he is blatantly trying to circumvent an nba rule. He is (albeit somewhat indirectly) telling teams that they shouldn't bother bidding on him, because he wont play for them or at least wont give them 100%. He says he might retire if he doesn't go to the team he wants, well hopefully stern speeds up the process with a yearly suspension. He is saying "yea the rule says you can bid on me, but **** it, you better not because if i don't like your team i'll play poorly, not listen to you, or not play for your team at all and retire.

LOL! So Kobe, Shaq, D-Will, Melo, Howard, and CP3 should ALL be or have been suspended because they asked for trades!!!!!!!!!

dtmagnet
12-10-2011, 08:55 PM
LOL! So Kobe, Shaq, D-Will, Melo, Howard, and CP3 should ALL be or have been suspended because they asked for trades!!!!!!!!!

Yes...they should have.

GunFactor187
12-10-2011, 08:59 PM

Magic
Worthy
Kareem
MJ
Bird
Shaq
Kobe
Wade
Tony Parker
Pierce
Isiah
Dumars
Hakeem
Duncan
Dirk
Cedric Maxwell

This!!!!! :clap:

TylerSL
12-10-2011, 09:00 PM
Yes...they should have.

I know RIGHT!

gaughan333
12-10-2011, 09:04 PM
After all the mobster tactics the NBA used on the players over the summer, i am glad that the little guys are fighting back against the industry, & telling them all, that they will not be any one's slave.

They were unfairly train railed in the negotiation, so they should fight for every inch possible to reclaim what was already theirs to begin with.

The players agreed to the new CBA...

Jarvo
12-10-2011, 09:17 PM
Just because other people are acting like children doesn't make it ok....

Are you a heat fan?

No, Spurs fan. But hey he might as well he been loyal for so long and how it is now you just gotta force things.

Supreme LA
12-10-2011, 09:18 PM
Why is everyone attacking Billups??? The guy has been the ultimate professional throughout his career and I actually understand where he is coming from. If anybody has earned the right to choose where he wants to play it is him, is it not? This guy has been bounced around his whole career, finally found is home in Denver, and was shipped off with Melodramatic to NY when he obviously wasn't happy about it. Now for once, he feels like taking a stand so he can choose where he wants to end his career and I don't blame him.

Yes, he makes a ton of money but at this point I don't think he cares about that. He has said he is willing to retire if he doesn't get to have some input into where he lands. There is nothing wrong with that.

gaughan333
12-10-2011, 09:21 PM
Why is everyone attacking Billups??? The guy has been the ultimate professional throughout his career and I actually understand where he is coming from. If anybody has earned the right to choose where he wants to play it is him, is it not? This guy has been bounced around his whole career, finally found is home in Denver, and was shipped off with Melodramatic to NY when he obviously wasn't happy about it. Now for once, he feels like taking a stand so he can choose where he wants to end his career and I don't blame him.

Yes, he makes a ton of money but at this point I don't think he cares about that. He has said he is willing to retire if he doesn't get to have some input into where he lands. There is nothing wrong with that.

Then retire for a year, and re submit as a free agent. If he actually stands by his threat to do that when the time comes, then fine. THAT is his right to do. He is under contract (unless he retires), he doesn't just get to tell teams not to bid on him and let him go where he wants. When you let a player get away with something like this, you need to take into account the type of precedent that it sets across the league. Letting a player do this is exactly what they were trying to stop with the amnesty bidding process...

Lord Leoshes
12-10-2011, 09:29 PM
The players agreed to the new CBA...

What were their options ?

gaughan333
12-10-2011, 09:31 PM
What were their options ?

Hold out. Play else where.

You don't like a contract, don't sign it. When you do, don't *****.

ayuntalo
12-10-2011, 09:37 PM
IF YOU WANT TO RETIRE JUST RETIRE!

i dont like how the knicks have handled this, but its so fvcked up that even these old generation players are also doing this DIVA thing now. NBA is so messed up, seems to me they just forced to have a new CBA. problems werent really resolved, there is a lot of problems still and for sure there will be another lockout after this CBA.

It sucks because i like basketball the most, but NBA is nowhere near the level of MLB and NFL the way their league are run.

playmaker_41
12-10-2011, 09:40 PM

^^this, players like Billups deserve to win a ring (even if he already has one), people say lebron's served long enough with seven years? try fourteen

naps
12-10-2011, 09:41 PM
Well, I didn't go through the pages but I can tell all the Knicks, Lakers, Bulls fans are now all of a sudden disliking him since he wants to be a Heat. PSD--Where **** happens!

gaughan333
12-10-2011, 09:42 PM
players have too much control in the NBA

gaughan333
^^this, players like Billups deserve to win a ring (even if he already has one), people say lebron's served long enough with seven years? try fourteen

Why does he deserve it? Also, Lebron was a free agent. Billups is not. I think you fail to understand that he is still under contract...

naps
Why is everyone attacking Billups???

Because he might be Miami bound.

ayuntalo
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!!

he NEVER mentioned he wants to be a HEAT! smh

gaughan333
12-10-2011, 09:44 PM
Well, I didn't go through the pages but I can tell all the Knicks, Lakers, Bulls fans are now all of a sudden disliking him since he wants to be a Heat. PSD--Where **** happens!

I don't care what team he wants to be on...doing this is ********.

ayuntalo
12-10-2011, 09:44 PM

Billups deserve it more then John Stockton?
50 Greatest player, played all his career with the Jazz and arguably the best pure PG of all time. thats how players should act.

Kevj77
12-10-2011, 09:47 PM
Hold out. Play else where.

You don't like a contract, don't sign it. When you do, don't *****.Billups signed the contract to stay in Denver. He was traded to NYK just so they could get Melo. The Knicks had a team option on him for this year. They could have let him become a free agent, but the exercised the option just to amnesty him and sign Chandler. I don't blame the Knicks they were covering their bases incase they struck out in free agency. Lets no act like teams have any loyalty to players either.

Honestly any of you would be pissed if you were him. To have the option on your final year picked up instead of becoming an UFA only to get amnestied before training camp even starts and have to go through a waiver wire process without any choice where he ends up.

naps
12-10-2011, 09:48 PM
I don't care what team he wants to be on...doing this is ********.

Yea, but he has been treated like **** throughout his career. That not even fair with this guy. People take his kindness and niceness for granted. Well, it's time for him to turn it around.

gaughan333
12-10-2011, 09:49 PM
I hate the fact that they just agreed on the CBA with this clause in it and the first person it happens to tries to fight it.

gaughan333
12-10-2011, 09:50 PM
Billups signed the contract to stay in Denver. He was traded to NYK just so they could get Melo. The Knicks had a team option on him for this year. They could have let him become a free agent, but the exercised the option just to amnesty him and sign Chandler. I don't blame the Knicks they were covering their bases incase they struck out in free agency. Lets no act like teams have any loyalty to players either.

Honestly any of you would be pissed if you were him. To have the option on your final year picked up instead of becoming an UFA only to get amnestied before training camp even starts and have to go through a waiver wire process without any choice where he ends up.

Then don't sign the original contract with the option. You know being traded is an option down the road...I feel no sympathy

knicksfan42
12-10-2011, 09:50 PM
LOL! Kobe, Shaq, D-Will, Melo, Howard, and CP3 should ALL be or have been suspended because they asked for trades!!!!!!!!!

(Note:I can't speak about the situations with Kobe or Shaq, because I don't remember if Kobe was in a contract year at the time he asked for a trade and I wasn't watching basketball when the Lakers acquired Shaq.)

No, because those players never gave up, never quit, and gave 100% for their duration with their teams. Asking for a trade is equivalent to telling a team you aren't going to re-sing with them in the cases you mentioned. Billups is trying to CIRCUMV-****ING-VENT an NBA rule. He is telling teams if he doesn't feel like playing for them he'll be uncooperative and purposely wont give it his all, thereby invalidating a portion of the amnesty clause if teams are swayed by his threats. All the players you mentioned could for all we know have said," I'm not re-signing with the team next offseason." The GM could have said,"Ok, then we'll trade you then, since we want to get a good deal can you please tell me where you would like to go since teams are unlikely to trade for you if you aren't going to sign an extension with them." That conversation would have the same exact effect as outright asking for a trade unless the player isn't in a contract year in which case I 100% agree that they should have happen what I said should happen to Billups.

gaughan333
12-10-2011, 09:51 PM
Yea, but he has been treated like **** throughout his career. That not even fair with this guy. People take his kindness and niceness for granted. Well, it's time for him to turn it around.

No it isn't. If he gets away with it, why wouldn't everyone else? If he really doesn't want to go to one of these teams, then he needs to retire for a year then sign with the team he wants

gaughan333
12-10-2011, 09:53 PM
(Note:I can't speak about the situations with Kobe or Shaq, because I don't remember if Kobe was in a contract year at the time he asked for a trade and I wasn't watching basketball when the Lakers acquired Shaq.)

No, because those players never gave up, never quit, and gave 100% for their duration with their teams. Asking for a trade is equivalent to telling a team you aren't going to re-sing with them in the cases you mentioned. Billups is trying to CIRCUMV-****ING-VENT an NBA rule. He is telling teams if he doesn't feel like playing for them he'll be uncooperative and purposely wont give it his all, thereby invalidating a portion of the amnesty clause if teams are swayed by his threats. All the players you mentioned could for all we know have said," I'm not re-signing with the team next offseason." The GM could have said,"Ok, then we'll trade you then, since we want to get a good deal can you please tell me where you would like to go since teams are unlikely to trade for you if you aren't going to sign an extension with them." That conversation would have the same exact effect as outright asking for a trade unless the player isn't in a contract year in which case I 100% agree that they should have happen what I said should happen to Billups.

Kobe refused to sign with the hornets when he was drafted and wanted to play in a larger market I believe. Shaq also wanted to contend and play in a larger market IIRC. I really don't like what any of these players are doing, demanding trades to specific teams.

ayuntalo
12-10-2011, 09:53 PM
the new CBA is being tested on this billups situation and the CP3 and howards fiasco.
NBA is obviously messed up. i wont be surprised if the season does not go on

Kashmir13579
12-10-2011, 09:55 PM
Just go back to Denver, already.

knicksfan42
12-10-2011, 09:59 PM
Kobe refused to sign with the hornets when he was drafted and wanted to play in a larger market I believe. Shaq also wanted to contend and play in a larger market IIRC. I really don't like what any of these players are doing, demanding trades to specific teams.

Well then Kobe should have been expelled from the league. I always thought Shaq signed with the Lakers as a FA.

gaughan333
12-10-2011, 09:59 PM
the new CBA is being tested on this billups situation and the CP3 and howards fiasco.
NBA is obviously messed up. i wont be surprised if the season does not go on

I think the season will happen, and sadly I think these players will all get what they want. The NBA should just get rid of like half the teams because they will have no chance anyway...

gaughan333
12-10-2011, 10:01 PM
Well then Kobe should have been expelled from the league. I always thought Shaq signed with the Lakers as a FA.

He did.

knicksfan42
12-10-2011, 10:04 PM
He did.

Was Shaq in a contract year when he was traded from the Lakers.

Punk
12-10-2011, 10:04 PM
I know he's mad but dude, relax. You got hurt twice within 27 games and got hurt in the first game of the playoffs and was done for the season. Do you expect the Knicks to rely on that consistently?

I'm glad he's not mad at us. If there was a way we could bring him back we would certainly do it but come on. If you want to blame someone, blame Denver. Don't take it out on the league and create a cancer in the locker room for a team that isn't a winner that picks you up.

Quietmoney
12-10-2011, 10:05 PM
The Knicks did Chauncey a favor by picking up that team option because if he was on any other team, they would not have spent 14 mil to keep him for a year. He clearly isn't worth that much but we saw to it that he got it. Denver knew they wouldn't pick up that option, that's why they sent him in the Melo deal. So stop feeling bad for this guy that's getting over 14 mil for one year that couldn't even get the full MLE anywhere else.

uprightciti
yeah he should just stop with this garbage

he would have got us maybe to the second round
what chandler does is sets us up to get deeper into the playoffs

cuz after all defense wins championships

nyanks79
https://twitter.com/#!/Ian_OConnor

Check out the timeline. I didnt see it posted already. Might have missed it.

effen5
12-10-2011, 10:06 PM
He should just retire....what hes doing is ********.

naps
12-10-2011, 10:09 PM
No it isn't. If he gets away with it, why wouldn't everyone else? If he really doesn't want to go to one of these teams, then he needs to retire for a year then sign with the team he wants

That's a ****ed up rule to begin with anyway.

gaughan333
12-10-2011, 10:15 PM
Was Shaq in a contract year when he was traded from the Lakers.

I meant he did sign as a free agent

gaughan333
12-10-2011, 10:19 PM
That's a ****ed up rule to begin with anyway.

That's your opinion...

The NBA most likely thought of this circumstance when they created the rule that the bidding process would take place. It doesn't matter if you think it is a stupid rule, it is one that is there.

topdog
12-10-2011, 10:19 PM
1. Aren't the 1st 2 years of the collective bargaining agreement more "traditional CBA rules" then the new rules kick in? I.e we have 2 years of increased diva movement before it dies out.

2. I can feel for Chauncey, but that's not at all the right way. You can still be professional and say "I hope I don't get picked up by a re-building team since I don't have much time left. I'm not really looking to be a mentor." Not "As much as I can help a team, I can **** them up to."

3. There is a dual problem with these "sitting duck" situations: 1. Guys don't just say "I will not be re-signing," it's "Hey, so I am not coming back but I'd like to be paid the maximum possible so trade me to X or Y team." 2. People talk to much, the media gets a hold of everything and the drama ensues.

greek miami hea
12-10-2011, 10:22 PM
don't worry.he will be in a heat uniform soon enough!

kblo247
12-10-2011, 10:22 PM

Shaq signed as a free agent

Kobe told NJ he wouldn't play for them to slip in the draft through his agent, at the request of Jerry West. Jerry in his own words picked Kobe up in his Lexus, took him to the GM, tested him out, and he scored the highest marks of any Laker on the combine tests. West had to have him as he thought he could be the GLOAT. West decided to trade Vlade, to Charlotte who needed a C after Zo left for Miami. The Hornets made the pick for Jerry West, they got Vlade. Jerry proudly told the story on Max and Marcellus this year and talked about in the past how he basically got in the Nets ear and talked down Kobe by telling them how unproven he was, and worked with his agent to get him to LA. He had a plan, was dirty, but did what he had to do as the GM lol

That summer of 1996 Jerry West signs Kobe, Shaq, Fox, Horry, and he drafts Fisher to go with Eddie Jones, Van Exel, and Elden Campbell.

DoMeFavors
12-10-2011, 10:24 PM
Billups has an ego, he is mad he was traded in the last year and after that amnesty.

iggypop123
12-10-2011, 10:24 PM
call his bluff. i mean bid 3 million. if you win he was lying he plays for you gives you good stuff. he is serious he retires you get your money back

gaughan333
12-10-2011, 10:29 PM
call his bluff. i mean bid 3 million. if you win he was lying he plays for you gives you good stuff. he is serious he retires you get your money back

agreed

kblo247
12-10-2011, 10:29 PM
Thing is you can't trade a guy you pick up in the amnesty auction all season.

Chronz
12-10-2011, 10:38 PM
Norm Nixon was only forced out of LA by his teammate, Magic. The same Magic who wouldn't jon the draft unless he knew for certain LA would be the one drafting first.

Role players generally don't care unless they are vets.

Chronz
12-10-2011, 10:39 PM
Your speaking out of emotion again. Whatever respect you had couldn't have been that strong if this small act is enough to overrule a career of class.

Chronz
12-10-2011, 10:43 PM
You dont get your money back

beasted86
12-10-2011, 10:54 PM
You dont get your money back

This.

gaughan333
12-10-2011, 11:10 PM
If you bid, and he retires, you don't get the money back? This CBA has flaws...

Chronz
12-10-2011, 11:12 PM
Not in my book

SDDodger
12-10-2011, 11:13 PM
I would assume that if you bid 3 milion and he doesnt report that you never pay the money out in the first place. The NBA should take it even further and void the amnestied contract as well. The players agreed to the CBA knowing that this was a possibility.

Chronz
12-10-2011, 11:16 PM
I would assume that if you bid 3 milion and he doesnt report that you never pay the money out in the first place. The NBA should take it even further and void the amnestied contract as well. The players agreed to the CBA knowing that this was a possibility.
Likewise owners knew there would be the possibility of older players not wanting to spend their final days on **** teams.

gaughan333
12-10-2011, 11:21 PM
Then they can retire? But they shouldn't get paid by a team that bids on them.

RevisIsland
12-10-2011, 11:22 PM
I don't see why some team, any team, wouldn't just bid 1 dollar to keep him off Miami. Gilbert's my first guess. Honestly though there are some young teams he could really help. What would he do if Denver placed a claim? He's not gonna stab them in the back is he?

gaughan333
12-10-2011, 11:24 PM
If all these players are so worried about where they play, then they should all sign 1 year contracts...Teams take a risk on you and you commit to them. There is no way they don't understand that being traded is a real possibility. Its a bargain for exchange and it should be enforced. Don't like it, don't sign the contract.

mike_noodles
12-10-2011, 11:24 PM

If you bid and he retires, you don't have to pay him, he's retired. That's what you're bidding on, how much of his contract you're willing to pick up. When he retires voluntarily, he doesn't get the money and must sit out the rest of the season.

justinnum1
12-10-2011, 11:25 PM
You cant just bid one dollar...coon was talking about this on twitter...the min bid would be in the millions.

gaughan333
12-10-2011, 11:47 PM
If you bid and he retires, you don't have to pay him, he's retired. That's what you're bidding on, how much of his contract you're willing to pick up. When he retires voluntarily, he doesn't get the money and must sit out the rest of the season.

Good, thats the way it should be...people were saying otherwise.

Chronz
12-10-2011, 11:48 PM

Unless theres something new in the CBA, retired players still count against the cap for 2 years and depending on why he retires (injuries), you still have to pay the guy.

kozelkid
12-10-2011, 11:51 PM

You're right. THIS is why a Bulls fan would dislike him. Not from the years that we had a rivalry with Detroit Pistons. Or the trash talking he did when Denver beat us on a controversial call. No, THIS is why all of a sudden start disliking him.

As for LA and NY fans, I can't speak for them, but I wouldn't blame them. No one likes someone who *****es. It's not a very endearing quality. And I'm sure you'd hate it if it was to LA. Just like you praised Stern for not allowing CP3 to LA.

Chronz
12-10-2011, 11:52 PM
If all these players are so worried about where they play, then they should all sign 1 year contracts...Teams take a risk on you and you commit to them. There is no way they don't understand that being traded is a real possibility. Its a bargain for exchange and it should be enforced. Don't like it, don't sign the contract.
True, thats what hes done for the majority of his career, I'm guessing hes tired of it or that he feels when you get cut he sees himself as a FA.

mike_noodles
12-10-2011, 11:54 PM
Unless theres something new in the CBA, retired players still count against the cap for 2 years and depending on why he retires (injuries), you still have to pay the guy.

Oh yeah, there are definitely loop holes, but in order for the player to come back in the same season with a different team then the one he retired from while under contract requires approval from a ridiculous amount of owners.

mike_noodles
12-10-2011, 11:57 PM
To actually give my opinion on Billups here though, I think he should be fined for some type of tampering. Telling teams not to bid on you is very very poor sportsmanship. What would his mother think?

swirl54
12-10-2011, 11:59 PM
Dude is handling this totally wrong I hope he rots in cleaveland

howiend
12-11-2011, 12:05 AM
billups has been a good guy in my book but this is absolutely ridiculous - this makes me want to boycott the nba, 14.2 million and he says "this one is about me" excuse me? what? this one? this totally torks me off. if this is the attitude of the new nba i will be done with it, i hope someone does pick him up and he does retire - give the 14.2 million dollars back and i would 100% support your free agency! so spoiled

WadeCounty
12-11-2011, 12:07 AM
has he even been linked to wanting to play for miami? I see all this heat talk but I haven't seen not even one thing.

That being said I don't blame the guy, he's been nothing but loyal to his teams been to leadership figure every team needs just to always be part of a package deal to some other team it's ridiculous. Yeah it's a business but the guy has the right to get upset, he went from denver, to detroit, back to denver (where they promised to keep him until he retired), to new york and now cut

LanceUpperCut
12-11-2011, 12:18 AM
I knew this stupid amnesty clause would just start more problems. Great way to start it out Billups now every other winny ***** will cry and try to dictate where they go. I use to love the NBA so much now I couldn't care less.

SDDodger
12-11-2011, 12:20 AM
Likewise owners knew there would be the possibility of older players not wanting to spend their final days on **** teams.

The difference is the owners are following the CBA in this instance and the player is trying to circumvent the agreement their union ratified just yesterday.

gaughan333
12-11-2011, 12:59 AM
True, thats what hes done for the majority of his career, I'm guessing hes tired of it or that he feels when you get cut he sees himself as a FA.

Well, he's wrong. Plain and simple, he is not a FA by the rules of the NBA. If he doesn't like the rules of the NBA then go retire or play some where else

Dankster
12-11-2011, 12:59 AM
Simply amazing, in todays pressing economy there's a man making 15 million dollars that's angry at his options...Hope Gilbert lets him rot on the bench...

gaughan333
12-11-2011, 01:00 AM
I knew this stupid amnesty clause would just start more problems. Great way to start it out Billups now every other winny ***** will cry and try to dictate where they go.

This x1000

Chronz
12-11-2011, 02:11 AM
Well, he's wrong. Plain and simple, he is not a FA by the rules of the NBA. If he doesn't like the rules of the NBA then go retire or play some where else
Nah, he will just do what NBA players have done since the beginning of time, strong arm their way out. Like when Odom told us to **** off, he was technically a RFA, but like he said, why would you want someone who doesnt want to be there? So we let him go

The difference is the owners are following the CBA in this instance and the player is trying to circumvent the agreement their union ratified just yesterday.
Doesnt prevent them from knowing some players will always pull stuff like this when they are released , particularly when they are in their final years (As players or contractually).

There is literally nothing they can do about it and they knew ahead of time. They could spend the money just to let him rot but then the player will file a suit and the whole thing gets uglier.

0nekhmer
12-11-2011, 02:33 AM
he has handled most of his trade scenarios quite well up to now. I guess you can't blame the guy too much. He's trying to defend his ego showing he's worth more than a "scrub throw in".

oballerc75
12-11-2011, 02:35 AM
billups kobe ron pau dwight??

Heatcheck
12-11-2011, 03:40 AM
Whats wrong with this guy? he's not a person, he's just a name on a jersey who should be moved around by teams at will. F him and his family.

Like odom and bibby, who were sold on team and loyalty until it wasnt convenient to their employers, they deserve to be traded like property and have no say in their careers.

Get a life, you all ride their dicks until their ppg goes down and start looking for a "better fit" and get mad when they start thinking about whats best for themselves.

Oh i forgot they make millions of dollars so that makes it OK.

Newsflash: they only make that much money because we're willing to spend absorbidant amounts of money to watch a game be played. you dont like it here is an idea, keep the cash in your pocket.

TylerSL
12-11-2011, 03:45 AM
billups kobe ron pau dwight??

Lakers are not getting Dwight..... or Billups.

abe_froman
12-11-2011, 03:47 AM
somebody should pick him up anyways and play chicken with him

Mr_Amaziing
12-11-2011, 04:07 AM
Wow

Lone Maverick
12-11-2011, 04:45 AM
I get he has feelings. It would be tough to go from your hometown to NY to being amnestied all in a year but he is still getting 14 million. Can't feel bad for the guy. He is under contract. Trades happen, and so does getting cut (in this case amnestied or whatever).

Iggz53
12-11-2011, 04:52 AM
I get he has feelings. It would be tough to go from your hometown to NY to being amnestied all in a year but he is still getting 14 million. Can't feel bad for the guy. He is under contract. Trades happen, and so does getting cut (in this case amnestied or whatever).

This. Players have free agency and the freedom to sign with whomever they want. If they screw that up, it's their own fault. They don't get to look at a catalog and pick what team they want to play for whenever they want. It's nothing new and nothing to whine about.