PDA

View Full Version : Knicks amnesty Billups

-Kobe24-TJ19-
12-10-2011, 03:22 PM
WojYahooNBA Adrian Wojnarowski
Knicks have waived Chauncey Billups under amnesty provision.

justinnum1
12-10-2011, 03:27 PM
prob doesnt fall past 5 teams before someone picks him up

unleashthebeast
12-10-2011, 03:27 PM
Come on cap teams, let him come to Miami :up:

BranWingss
12-10-2011, 03:29 PM
Cleveland would be interesting IMO. Irving would have a great player to learn from. I believe their original plan was to have Baron start.

Billups could very likely retire though.

Hawkeye15
12-10-2011, 03:31 PM
hopefully his attitude has changed over the past 48 hours and he isn't a complete cancer if picked up by a team that can make a bid.

Cal827
12-10-2011, 03:34 PM
Traitorous organization.. They are gonna have fun when Melo leaves after his contract is up... cause what happens in NBA 2K happens in real life too, right? lol

Meh it's unfortunate for Chauncy... Hopefully he goes to a contender.

kjoke
12-10-2011, 03:35 PM
He is 35 years old. If he doesnt go to a championship level team, I don't think he wants to come back. He's making the right choice threatening retirement.

BranWingss
12-10-2011, 03:37 PM
Traitorous organization.. They are gonna have fun when Melo leaves after his contract is up... cause what happens in NBA 2K happens in real life too, right? lol

Which is unlikely. I'm really leaning towards him just retiring.

Rumors were going around that he was unhappy in the trade to Denver (hometown/playoff team), and then to New York (playoff team). He just re-uped with the Knicks, and now will be signing (if he doesn't retire) with a pretty ****** team.

This could really be the end for Billups.

kntresistheheat
12-10-2011, 03:40 PM
He is 35 years old. If he doesnt go to a championship level team, I don't think he wants to come back. He's making the right choice threatening retirement.

This

Cal827
12-10-2011, 03:40 PM
I just find it funny, how we talk about loyalty by players to teams and cities and we see this crap occur... This guy has been loyal to Detroit, Denver, and New York... and then gets shat on.

lvlheaded
12-10-2011, 03:41 PM
My guess is Cleveland scoops him up so that Gilbert keeps him away from Miami...then he retires rather than report to Cleveland

Cal827
12-10-2011, 03:41 PM

lol You just want to see him on Miami don't you :P

Don't blame ya, he would be an excellent addition to your team.

SDDodger
12-10-2011, 03:42 PM
If an amnestied player decides to retire do they forfeit the portion of their salary that the bidding team posts? It could be a pretty big financial hit if so. One of the teams that need to reach the salary floor may bid up to say 5 million on him.

THE GIPPER
12-10-2011, 03:42 PM
He should retire and be an assistant coach in Denver

Cal827
12-10-2011, 03:45 PM
I'm kinda curious since I don't get the Amnesty clause completely... If a team does bid like 5 million to get him.. Would he get paid that + the 14 million owed to him from NY... or would the 5 million be taken away from the Bill of NY and they would pay only 9 mill of the 14?

seikou8
12-10-2011, 03:45 PM

u mad toronto fan

VillaMaravilla
12-10-2011, 03:47 PM
I just find it funny, how we talk about loyalty by players to teams and cities and we see this crap occur... This guy has been loyal to Detroit, Denver, and New York... and then gets shat on.

loyal to the City in what way? the guy wanst even a knick for a year and *****ed about coming here and if it wasnt for us picking up that horrific 14 mil he would have come close to getting that as a free agent, if anything he should be thanking us

xnick5757
12-10-2011, 03:48 PM
What a STUPID series of moves by the organization. They could have decided not to pick up his option and they would have saved 14 mil and would still have the amnesty as insurance on STAT's knees.

Dade County
12-10-2011, 03:48 PM
hopefully his attitude has changed over the past 48 hours and he isn't a complete cancer if picked up by a team that can make a bid.

I hope his attitude hasn't change over the past 48hours:D

He needs to be a HEAT. Hopefully when one of these teams under the cap picks him up, he asks to be bought out.

It will do nO good for a team to pick him up, and he does not want to play for them... It will only cause problems.

Cal827
12-10-2011, 03:49 PM
u mad toronto fan

LOL over 15 years of crap... of course :mad:

Cal827
12-10-2011, 03:50 PM
loyal to the City in what way? the guy wanst even a knick for a year and *****ed about coming here and if it wasnt for us picking up that horrific 14 mil he would have come close to getting that as a free agent, if anything he should be thanking us

Ok, maybe not New York as much, but the other cities my point remains valid lol

kjoke
12-10-2011, 03:51 PM
lol You just want to see him on Miami don't you :P

Don't blame ya, he would be an excellent addition to your team.

He would.

But there is also a level of respect here. I respect Billups too much, and would hate to see him end his career on such a downward team.

Swashcuff
12-10-2011, 03:52 PM
He was easily a top 15 PG last season and arguably top 10. If he retires he goes out when he was still at a respectable point in his game.

Dade County
12-10-2011, 03:52 PM
I'm kinda curious since I don't get the Amnesty clause completely... If a team does bid like 5 million to get him.. Would he get paid that + the 14 million owed to him from NY... or would the 5 million be taken away from the Bill of NY and they would pay only 9 mill of the 14?

That one.

Cal827
12-10-2011, 03:54 PM
That one.

Okay thanks, still don't get half of this Amnesty stuff... hell I thought it counted against the cap still until reading the other amnesty threads a few hours ago lol

Swashcuff
12-10-2011, 03:54 PM
What a STUPID series of moves by the organization. They could have decided not to pick up his option and they would have saved 14 mil and would still have the amnesty as insurance on STAT's knees.

Well if they had a crystal ball they could have done that but unfortunately they don't. At the time they signed Billups the amnesty wasn't even anywhere near the equation. They made the right move for their at the time.

Bubba313
12-10-2011, 03:56 PM

Yea cause the Knicks front office could see into the future and knew there would be an amnesty provision in the upcoming CBA

And they also knew we'd be able to sign Tyson Chandler in FA

And they knew the cap that would be set by the new CBA

get my point?

Chacarron
12-10-2011, 03:57 PM
Clippers should claim Billups.

xnick5757
12-10-2011, 03:59 PM
Well if they had a crystal ball they could have done that but unfortunately they don't. At the time they signed Billups the amnesty wasn't even anywhere near the equation. They made the right move for their at the time.

Yea cause the Knicks front office could see into the future and knew there would be an amnesty provision in the upcoming CBA

get my point?

Billups isn't worth 14 mil though

kozelkid
12-10-2011, 03:59 PM

It's lack of foresight.

I think it was pretty obvious amnesty would be provided as consequence of the lockout. It was talked about before the lockout happened.

Swashcuff
12-10-2011, 04:03 PM
Billups isn't worth 14 mil though

14 Mil coming off the books the very same year Dwight, CP3 and Deron were to become FAs that would have been gold. It was a gamble but it was the correct one. At the time NO agreement was made. What would you say if there wasn't a lock out and things remained the same. What if CP3, Dwight and Deron came out and said they wanted to test free agency. At the time it would have been the correct decision.

Hawkeye15
12-10-2011, 04:06 PM
I hope his attitude hasn't change over the past 48hours:D

He needs to be a HEAT. Hopefully when one of these teams under the cap picks him up, he asks to be bought out.

It will do nO good for a team to pick him up, and he does not want to play for them... It will only cause problems.

I still think he will get picked up by a bidding team looking for vet PG play and leadership. If he doesn't want to play for them, then he can retire.

I have a major issue with him saying he will just be a cancer if a team that he doesn't want picks him. You are being let go Billups, and rules are in place so that is more like a trade than it is free agency.

Swashcuff
12-10-2011, 04:06 PM
It's lack of foresight.

I think it was pretty obvious amnesty would be provided as consequence of the lockout. It was talked about before the lockout happened.

No its not its hindsight. You can't predict the future. Whether or not the amnesty was being talked about it made no difference. No one could have definitively say that we were going to have a lock out in which they would certainly be an amnesty clause. It could have easily taken another direction. The Knicks were right. They made the correct decision for their team at the time. Things change but you can't account for every single change which is made. But rather protect yourself from an even bigger mistake.

Had things gone differently with the CBA and Free Agency you'd be singing a different tune. There is only so much you can do when planning for the future.

Dankster
12-10-2011, 04:07 PM
There's very little chance he'll still be available for luxury tax teams to pick him up, all any of the under-cap teams have to do is place any bid for him and his rights are retained by them.

If he has his heart set on going to a contender, he has a much better chance just by sitting the year out if he's that disgusted with joining a subpar franchise.

NYKalltheway
12-10-2011, 04:10 PM
So who are the potential teams he can join? Or is everyone allowed to make an offer, despite salary cap status

gotoHcarolina52
12-10-2011, 04:13 PM
@WojYahooNBA

Billups: "People take my kindness and professionalism for weakness. They think I’ll be OK with (getting claimed). I won’t be OK with this."

Swashcuff
12-10-2011, 04:16 PM
I still think he will get picked up by a bidding team looking for vet PG play and leadership. If he doesn't want to play for them, then he can retire.

I have a major issue with him saying he will just be a cancer if a team that he doesn't want picks him. You are being let go Billups, and rules are in place so that is more like a trade than it is free agency.

Honestly I wont want him on my team. He says he is a professional but he really isn't. I'm a bit surprised that a veteran such as himself who has gone from team to team to team hasn't come to grips with the fact that the NBA is a business and he's just another asset that can be moved. With his actions now he's quickly going to become a liability.

iggypop123
no more mr nice guy he would lose his mind if anyone claims him. id call his bluff. a 2 million dollar risk sounds good to me. the clips should do it

ManningToTyree
As long as he doesn't wind up with Miami I'm happy. If the Knicks help complete that line up its a huge :facepalm:

gotoHcarolina52
@WojYahooNBA

Billups wants freedom to choose team. Warns those who'd claim him: You'll regret it. "I'm tired of being the glue guy." Story soon on Y!

Punk
12-10-2011, 04:18 PM
@WojYahooNBA
Adrian Wojnarowski
Billups: "People take my kindness and professionalism for weakness. They think I’ll be OK with (getting claimed). I won’t be OK with this."

....I guess he mad?

jmoney85
12-10-2011, 04:18 PM
billups is a cry baby... its part of the biz chauncey... you make millions of dollars playing basketball ... stop crying

DJYankee
12-10-2011, 04:19 PM

I agree with everything he is one of the most respectful guys in the game and to get shitted on is just not fair. Although you would be called crazy if anyone would of thought he was in the Knicks plan for the future.

KnickaBocka.44
12-10-2011, 04:20 PM
Tired of being the glue guy? what? You are what you are Chauncey: and what you are now is an over the hill PG. Suck it up, collect your 14 million and get on with your life.

Giraffes Rule
12-10-2011, 04:21 PM
Chauncey didn't want to leave Denver in the first place. Then the Knicks go and cut him when he didn't even want to be there in the first place? I'd be a little angry too. I don't like what he's saying, but I understand why he would be angry.

jmoney85
12-10-2011, 04:21 PM
I agree with everything he is one of the most respectful guys in the game and to get shitted on is just not fair. Although you would be called crazy if anyone would of thought he was in the Knicks plan for the future.

not fair??!?!?

he makes millions of dollars to play basketball... some people collect unemployment and are homeless...

poooooooooor chauncey

NYKalltheway
12-10-2011, 04:25 PM
not fair??!?!?

he makes millions of dollars to play basketball... some people collect unemployment and are homeless...

poooooooooor chauncey

we're not comparing Billups with homeless people... Billups signed a contract with a particular team and he's not part of that team now. Why is Billups a crybaby and the team he signed with gets away with "it's part of the business"???

jmoney85
12-10-2011, 04:31 PM
we're not comparing Billups with homeless people... Billups signed a contract with a particular team and he's not part of that team now. Why is Billups a crybaby and the team he signed with gets away with "it's part of the business"???

its the same thing as getting traded and people get traded all the time in every sport.... he knows what hes getting into when he signed a contract... its part of the game... im not gonna feel sorry for someone who gets paid millions of dollars while the rest of america is in a depression.. im sorry its not happening

NYKalltheway
12-10-2011, 04:41 PM
its the same thing as getting traded and people get traded all the time in every sport.... he knows what hes getting into when he signed a contract... its part of the game... im not gonna feel sorry for someone who gets paid millions of dollars while the rest of america is in a depression.. im sorry its not happening

nobody says you need to feel sorry. But I'm 100% behind Billups in this, he should be able to choose where he plays, be it Miami Heat or whatever

Swashcuff
12-10-2011, 04:44 PM
nobody says you need to feel sorry. But I'm 100% behind Billups in this, he should be able to choose where he plays, be it Miami Heat or whatever

No he should not. This was a rule set by the league. The very league in which he signed a contract to be a part of. They decided where he plays when he signed on the dotted line. He needs to understand and accept the profession.

jmoney85
12-10-2011, 04:45 PM

no he shouldnt... its part of the game... other players have to do the same thing

long hair dont care

wayneo11
12-10-2011, 04:47 PM

get my point?

but what possible senario did the knicks front office deem suitable to pick up that option on his contract, the cap was projected to come down and they must have known that that billups expiring contract would have been useless in any possible trades as the knicks had no young talent to package along with it.

DJYankee
12-10-2011, 05:16 PM
not fair??!?!?

poooooooooor chauncey

Are we talking about Basketball or America? because I was talking about Basketball. :confused:

jmoney85
12-10-2011, 05:18 PM
Are we talking about Basketball or America? because I was talking about Basketball. :confused:

both go hand in hand

basketball is a job

tcav701
12-10-2011, 05:21 PM

You are right.

IF he forfeits his contract. Some of you people are so clueless on these issues.

SteBO
12-10-2011, 05:47 PM
both go hand in hand

basketball is a job
And professional sports is on a whole other level. There's no comparison, so you shouldn't even bother trying.....

jmoney85
12-10-2011, 05:52 PM
And professional sports is on a whole other level. There's no comparison, so you shouldn't even bother trying.....

not really... you can find people a good amount of people that make more money than professional athletes.... so if they have to move for a job should we cry about that too?

SteBO
12-10-2011, 06:00 PM
not really... you can find people a good amount of people that make more money than professional athletes.... so if they have to move for a job should we cry about that too?
Not me...I couldn't care less. I'm just saying that professional sports isn't like some "other job". To even entertain that notion just doesn't make sense to me. Chauncey is one of the loyal guys in this league, and yet he's being shipped off "again"....I don't blame him one bit for getting riled up by this, but he does need to realize the rule that was put in play under the new CBA. This is coming from a guy whose team needs him, but probably won't get him because of the teams in front......

tcav701
12-10-2011, 06:02 PM
Tell CB to give up his contract.

problem solved.

SteBO
12-10-2011, 06:04 PM
Tell CB to give up his contract.

problem solved.
Agree with this too. If Chauncey wanted to be on a contender so badly, he'd give up his 14.2 million to do so I would think.....

3mikee_
12-10-2011, 06:05 PM
I don't really get the move.. why are they trusting in Douglas to start?

tcav701
12-10-2011, 06:15 PM
Agree with this too. If Chauncey wanted to be on a contender so badly, he'd give up his 14.2 million to do so I would think.....

He wasnt to have his cake and eat it to like these other spoiled players.

The ending of the lockout apparently shouldnt have occured. the inmates are still running the asylum.

NYKalltheway
12-10-2011, 06:32 PM
No he should not. This was a rule set by the league. The very league in which he signed a contract to be a part of. They decided where he plays when he signed on the dotted line. He needs to understand and accept the profession.

was he aware of this rule before he signed his current contract?

Swashcuff
12-10-2011, 06:36 PM
was he aware of this rule before he signed his current contract?

No he was not. Still does not change the fact that he's contracted to play in a league who basically owns him and decides on more occasions than not (as he very well knows since he's been traded so many times) that he can be asked to pack his bags and leave.

What if the Knicks were able to trade Billups to a team he didn't like would he have said he's going to be a cancer to that team as well? He signed the contract now he has to go through with it. If not give up your 14.2 million and stop b****ing.

DJYankee
12-11-2011, 11:29 AM
both go hand in hand

basketball is a job

They do not go hand to hand. Especially the example you used.