PDA

View Full Version : Tampering Charge Could Cost Nets From Resigning Deron

FriedTofuz
12-10-2011, 01:10 PM
If Mikhail Prokhorov broke the rules and met with Dwight Howard, then it’s not just that Howard will never be a Net, even if that idea was something of a stretch to begin with

If Prokhorov met with Orlando’s superstar big man in Miami the other night and the NBA has a watertight case of tampering against the Nets owner, then he probably just killed any chance of re-signing Deron Williams.

Williams is saying all the right things about staying long-term with the Nets. But if the team is penalized because its owner and GM brazenly flouted the rules by meeting with a player who currently is property of another team, then the Nets are looking at losing several No. 1 draft picks, at the very least.

Basically, If tampering occured, not only will dwight howard never be a net, but that creates a stronger possibity for deron williams to sign elsewhere if the nets dont aquire another big name player.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/jersey-nets-owner-mikhail-prokhorov-gamble-dwight-howard-force-lose-all-star-deron-williams-article-1.989639?localLinksEnabled=false

Netslunatic76
12-10-2011, 01:15 PM
At the end of a long day of rumors and recriminations, the Orlando Magic admitted, on its own website, that it does not intend to file tampering charges against the Nets and Billy King issued a strong denial of reports that he and Mikhail Prokhorov had met with Dwight Howard, the focus of the charges.

ESPN and Sports Illustrated reported that sources had told them King and Prokhorov had secretly met Howard Thursday night in Miami to discuss the big man's desire to play with the Nets. Magic officials were quoted as saying they would file tampering charges...charges which could have resulted in huge fines, the loss of draft picks and suspensions for King and Prokhorov.

Then, late in the day, first with Magic beat writers and then in a story on the team website, CEO Alex Martins said, "`I’ve seen reports, but I have no idea if (Howard) met with them or not." He said he would investigate the reports. But King was definitive, "Contrary to published reports, the New Jersey Nets did not meet with Dwight Howard."

http://www.netsdaily.com/2011/12/9/2624997/no-tampering-charges-say-magic-no-tampering-period-says-king

/Thread

-Kobe24-TJ19-
its getting bad in NJ, real bad

North Yorker
When will we find out if the Nets are charged?

FriedTofuz
12-10-2011, 01:19 PM
http://www.netsdaily.com/2011/12/9/2624997/no-tampering-charges-say-magic-no-tampering-period-says-king

/Thread

Why are net fans getting so defensive? :confused:
Nothing is completly ruled out, if howard does get traded to the nets, it will anger alot of owners and they suspect tampering and turn to stern. So No this thread is far from ending :)

Netslunatic76
12-10-2011, 01:21 PM
Nothing is completly ruled out, if howard does get traded to the nets, it will anger alot of owners and they suspect tampering and turn to stern. So No this thread is far from ending :)

It's not about being defensive. The report has been denied by Orlando themselves and Dwight. Plus, the Nets aren't the Lakers. They have never even won an NBA championship, let alone five in the past decade. It's not the same situation.

Raph12
12-10-2011, 01:23 PM
Not gonna happen, Otis Smith and Billy King are close friends and the Magic would be stupid to take the Nets' offer off of the table... Not to mention that all parties denied the meeting in question, they don't have any real evidence and would fail to prove the Nets actually were tampering.

ChurcH
12-10-2011, 01:24 PM

:eyebrow:

thekmp211
12-10-2011, 01:27 PM
oh man, prokorhov forgot that this isn't russia and we do sort of follow some rules around here. for the sake of nets fans everywhere i hope this doesn't come to fruition.

JWall2010
12-10-2011, 01:27 PM
In other news... we landed on the moon!!!

njnets
12-10-2011, 01:30 PM
if the nets get charged there screwed. no doubt. but the magic already said on their website that they denied the reports and would not do anything to the nets.

unless there is new info, nothing is going to happen to them.

FriedTofuz
12-10-2011, 01:38 PM
It's not about being defensive. The report has been denied by Orlando themselves and Dwight. Plus, the Nets aren't the Lakers. They have never even won an NBA championship, let alone five in the past decade. It's not the same situation.

So you think the owners still wouldnt complain? face it, they complain when miami assembled and they will complain if howard joins the nets. You dont have to be the lakers for the owners to get upset, owners got upset over miami too.

FriedTofuz
12-10-2011, 01:40 PM
You guys dont understand, The nets arent completly safe even if the magic dont file tampering charges. They are not safe because owners can complain to stern that tampering was involved, and then an investigation can be reached and then the nets wont be able to get howard at all even if there was a trade set for him to join new jesery. Get it now? If tampering was involved, they wont get howard, and it creates less possibility of deron williams resigning

waveycrockett
12-10-2011, 01:43 PM
This OP makes most bleacherrports look pulitzer prize worthy

JIDsanity
12-10-2011, 01:44 PM
You guys dont understand, The nets arent completly safe even if the magic dont file tampering charges. They are not safe because owners can complain to stern that tampering was involved, and then an investigation can be reached and then the nets wont be able to get howard at all even if there was a trade set for him to join new jesery. Get it now? If tampering was involved, they wont get howard, and it creates less possibility of deron williams resigning

But there was no tampering, so whats your point?

Netslunatic76
12-10-2011, 01:44 PM
So you think the owners still wouldnt complain? face it, they complain when miami assembled and they will complain if howard joins the nets. You dont have to be the lakers for the owners to get upset, owners got upset over miami too.

The Lakers trade veto was horrible and everyone knows that. They NBA would dig themselves into an even bigger hole if they vetoed a Dwight Howard trade.

They can't use the same excuses for the Nets is what I'm saying about the owners.

Netslunatic76
12-10-2011, 01:46 PM

There's is a lot of ifs. I'm sure they'd also need Orlando to cooperate during the investigation, which they won't if they agree to trade Dwight to the Nets.

FriedTofuz
12-10-2011, 01:47 PM

There was, but the magic have said they wont file tampering charges? that may be, but if howard was set to join the magic, owners would complain and stern would use his power to stop the trade because owners complain about tampering. therefore, there would be tampering. Its very obvious that there was tampering, Prokarov had a good conversation with howard and it caused him to come out and say he wants to play for the nets? Its clearly tampering. So even if a deal was set to be done, the owners would complain about tampering, the nets get booked, lose out on howard forever, and have less of a chance to get deron to resign. Plus theres a possiblity of losing out on picks or players if they are caught. That is my point sir :)

FriedTofuz
12-10-2011, 01:49 PM
The Lakers trade veto was horrible and everyone knows that. They NBA would dig themselves into an even bigger hole if they vetoed a Dwight Howard trade.

They can't use the same excuses for the Nets is what I'm saying about the owners.

why cant they? this is the best center in the nba, an mvp candidate, if the owners complained about miami and they complained about the the lakers, then they will complain about the nets.

JIDsanity
12-10-2011, 01:49 PM
There was, but the magic have said they wont file tampering charges? that may be, but if howard was set to join the magic, owners would complain and stern would use his power to stop the trade because owners complain about tampering. therefore, there would be tampering. Its very obvious that there was tampering, Prokarov had a good conversation with howard and it caused him to come out and say he wants to play for the nets? Its clearly tampering. So even if a deal was set to be done, the owners would complain about tampering, the nets get booked, lose out on howard forever, and have less of a chance to get deron to resign. Plus theres a possiblity of losing out on picks or players if they are caught. That is my point sir :)
All parties involved publicly said there was no tampering involved. So your point is based on an illogical technicality

Netslunatic76
12-10-2011, 01:51 PM
why cant they? this is the best center in the nba, an mvp candidate, if the owners complained about miami and they complained about the the lakers, then they will complain about the nets.

Because there isn't 3 superstars that are trying to team up in New Jersey like the Lakers and Miami.

Netslunatic76
12-10-2011, 01:52 PM
All parties involved publicly said there was no tampering involved. So your point is based on an illogical technicality

I don't understand what he isn't getting.

waveycrockett
12-10-2011, 01:53 PM

Sounds like a conspiracy theory. Where are the tin foil hats

FriedTofuz
12-10-2011, 01:53 PM
Because there isn't 3 superstars that are trying to team up in New Jersey like the Lakers and Miami.

Who are the 3 superstars on the lakers? we're giving up pau and odom.. whos our 3rd superstar? bynum? he isnt even an allstar. Your point is basically saying, If theres going to be a total of 3 superstars then the owners will call tampering and stern will look into it? wrong, the lakers have two superstars if they were to aquire paul after giving up pau gasol and odom.

Netslunatic76
12-10-2011, 01:55 PM
Who are the 3 superstars on the lakers? we're giving up pau and odom.. whos our 3rd superstar? bynum? he isnt even an allstar. Your point is basically saying, If theres going to be a total of 3 superstars then the owners will call tampering and stern will look into it? wrong, the lakers have two superstars if they were to aquire paul after giving up pau gasol and odom.

There have been reports of the Lakers going after Howard as well for weeks. The original Hornets trade left room for that to be done.

http://www.prosportsdaily.com/forums/showthread.php?t=675232

FriedTofuz
12-10-2011, 01:58 PM
There have been reports of the Lakers going after Howard as well for weeks. The original Hornets trade left room for that to be done.

http://www.prosportsdaily.com/forums/showthread.php?t=675232

So what, last i check that deal would only gurantee us two superstars and the possibility of a third but it isnt ruled out. I dont see your point to tell me this nor give me links to other thread topics when i've already viewed them.

JIDsanity
12-10-2011, 01:58 PM
I don't understand what he isn't getting.

He's a Lakers fan, so its clear there is a bias. He wants Howard in LA.

NYtilIdie
12-10-2011, 01:59 PM

Well, the owners have no say in the Nets/Magic deal since the league doesn't own them like they do the Hornets which is what people fail to realize.

Also, both parties denied ever having an illegal meeting.

Netslunatic76
12-10-2011, 02:01 PM
So what, last i check that deal would only gurantee us two superstars and the possibility of a third but it isnt ruled out. I dont see your point to tell me this nor give me links to other thread topics when i've already viewed them.

Are you trolling me? lol

Raph12
12-10-2011, 02:01 PM

The Lakers trade veto was allowed to happen because the league owns the Hornets; if Dwight was traded to NJ, the league wouldn't be able to stop it.

I know what you're saying but there is not nearly enough evidence to even have a case about tampering being involved, that is the biggest issue with trying to file charges.

king4day
12-10-2011, 02:03 PM
As per the second post, Orlando already said they weren't going to pursue this. That's why they included NJ in trade talks. It doesn't help Orlando if they can't get leverage in a deal by eliminating NJ. Or if they prefer to trade to NJ, it would eliminate that too.

/thread

king4day
12-10-2011, 03:16 PM
I'm reopening this one as I don't have time to clarify if what the OP is stating is true.
If so, then you can file tampering charges anytime.

Be that the case, I have a hard time seeing Orlando letting NJ talk with howard's agent and then later pursuing a tampering charge. Credibility to the case would have been lost.

Sadds The Gr8
12-10-2011, 03:17 PM
it'd be hilarious if this true

Pierzynski4Prez
12-10-2011, 03:33 PM
The Magic won't file tampering, because then the league could take away picks from the Nets, picks that the Magic would acquire in the trade, so they would just be hurting their own chances at getting a top offer.

FriedTofuz
12-10-2011, 06:51 PM
The magic wont file tampering charges, its the owners of the nba that will complain to stern if howard gets traded to the nets or to the lakers.

Evolution23
12-10-2011, 07:09 PM
The magic wont file tampering charges, its the owners of the nba that will complain to stern if howard gets traded to the nets or to the lakers.

The owners don't own the Magic. They own the Hornets. completely different story.