PDA

View Full Version : Amnesty Question

4cubs
12-09-2011, 09:14 PM
The Orlando Magic waived Gilbert Arenas under the National Basketball Association's new amnesty clause.

The amnesty clause, included in the league's new labor agreement, allows every team one opportunity to waive a player without the remainder of his contract counting toward the salary cap or tax threshold, but still owes the player his salary if no team claims him off of waivers.

Theoretically, could the Magic have traded Dwight Howard and Gilbert Arenas to the Lakers for Andrew Bynum; then allowing the Lakers to use their amnesty clause to waive Gilbert Arenas (so as not to count toward their salary cap or tax threshold)?

-Kobe24-TJ19-
12-09-2011, 09:16 PM
The Orlando Magic waived Gilbert Arenas under the National Basketball Association's new amnesty clause.

The amnesty clause, included in the league's new labor agreement, allows every team one opportunity to waive a player without the remainder of his contract counting toward the salary cap or tax threshold, but still owes the player his salary if no team claims him off of waivers.

Theoretically, could the Magic have traded Dwight Howard and Gilbert Arenas to the Lakers for Andrew Bynum; then allowing the Lakers to use their amnesty clause to waive Gilbert Arenas (so as not to count toward their salary cap or tax threshold)?

no

IndyRealist
12-09-2011, 09:17 PM
No, the amnesty can only be used on a player already signed to a contract -for your team-. You can't trade for a player to amnesty him.

CousinsEvansDUO
12-09-2011, 09:18 PM
No because that is an unfair offensive maneuverability.

Giraffes Rule
12-09-2011, 09:20 PM

No, because those salaries don't match. The trade would have to be legal. If it were legal, then they could amnesty Arenas.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
12-09-2011, 09:22 PM
No, because those salaries don't match. The trade would have to be legal. If it were legal, then they could amnesty Arenas.

u cant amnesty a traded player

Giraffes Rule
12-09-2011, 09:24 PM
u cant amnesty a traded player

Why not?

-Kobe24-TJ19-
12-09-2011, 09:26 PM
Why not?

against the rules.

IndyRealist
12-09-2011, 09:27 PM
Why not?

Because it's written into the wording of the amnesty clause. They didn't want teams using it to pick up picks and whatnot. It's only for cap relief.

Giraffes Rule
12-09-2011, 10:19 PM
Because it's written into the wording of the amnesty clause. They didn't want teams using it to pick up picks and whatnot. It's only for cap relief.

Oh I see. What if it's a multiyear contract? Can a team use the amnesty on them the second year or is it only for teams that gave the contract originally?

bholly
12-09-2011, 10:24 PM
^^ You can only use it on players who are under contract for your team at the time the CBA comes into effect.

Can't sign new guys and use it on them, can't trade for guys and use it on them.

MFFL==FML
12-09-2011, 10:53 PM
What if the person has multiple years left on his contract, how does the bidding work? Do they say "we'll pay x amount each year of his contract" or do they give a max total they would spend?

bholly
12-09-2011, 11:01 PM
I don't think it's been made explicit publicly yet. I'd assume they just bid a number, a total amount, and then that amount is split over the life of the contract in proportion to the regular years, if that makes sense. Ie if it's a $60m total contract, and you bid $30m for it all up, each year you just pay half of that years' original salary, rather than getting to choose.
That's just my assumption, though.

Giraffes Rule
12-09-2011, 11:06 PM
What happens if no team under the salary cap wants the player?

bholly
12-09-2011, 11:15 PM
If nobody bids, they become a free agent. They get paid their full contract and can sign a new one on top of that, wherever they like.

I assume any player with value will get bid on by someone, though. If I was under the cap, I'd be making at least vet min bids for all these guys - Baron, Billups, even Arenas. If you can get them for some small price then those become valuable trade chips for nothing, even if you're just bringing second round picks or cash back.

bholly
12-09-2011, 11:16 PM
Unless there are provisions preventing you from claiming a guy and then trading them or whatever, which is also totally possible, but I haven't heard anything.