PDA

View Full Version : Official Lakers Training Camp Thread: Day V (12/13)

Fool
12-09-2011, 08:48 PM
Official Lakers Training Camp Thread:

OP will be updated daily with links to twitter reports and videos/interviews from camp in El Segundo.

OP:

I thought instead of creating a thread for every little bit of news/info during TC, we could have one thread.

Day One: 12/9

Mike Trudell @LakersReporter 17 mins
Metta said back of his jersey will say "World Peace." He's been called everything from Ron, Metta, Met, World Peace, Peace today.

Greg Beacham @gregbeacham 18 mins
Metta World Peace says he's not in top shape. He thought season wouldn't start until January, so he had "a little more martinis" in Nov.

Day Two: 12/10

http://twitter.com/LakersReporter

LakersReporter Mike Trudell
Kobe said he has a full grasp of where and when he will receive the ball in Brown's offense. Did his homework before camp.

Some would expect an adjustment period to learn Brown's new offense. For Kobe? Said he already fully knows it. Completely.
2 minutes ago

Three players selected to make 2 straight FT's to end practice: Kobe, Kapono, Fisher ... 6-for-6. Brown now addressing team.
10 minutes ago

KevinDing KEVIN DING
Bynum is just dominating. Coaches all erupted in applause at him skying for RH tip-dunk of too-high Fisher oop in traffic.
16 minutes ago
Retweeted by LakersReporter

Barnes is on glass, running up & down freely. Does look to be "98%," as he stated earlier this week, after knee trouble last yr.
23 minutes ago

With the current roster, it's not a surprise to see Metta World Peace at the 4. Strong enough to play there against most teams.

Kobe Bryant, Pau Gasol, Andrew Bynum and Mike Brown interviews on 12/10:
http://www.nba.com/lakers/news/111210practicereport.html

Day Three: 12/11- NO NEWS POSTED BY LAKERS.COM

Day Four: 12/12

http://www.nba.com/lakers/news/111212mitchkupchak.html

- Let's start with Kupchak's overall bottom line/state of affairs: "If we can figure out a way to improve this team, we will do it. There's no guarantee that anyone will be here with the exception of Kobe, because he has a no trade clause."

Q: On L.A. still actively pursuing potential "big" trades:
Kupchak: "We are pursuing big deals right now. That has not changed. More than one big deal. But there could be more than one big deal that involves players other than the two you're thinking about.

- Kupchak was asked what brought about the shift in looking for big deals, when he's maintained this offseason that the team could win as was constructed. His simple answer: "Opportunity." To go further, once all of the teams were finally cut loose to talk to players/agents and the like, and figured out what the rules were, things began to present themselves.

- All big trades or small trades have the same goal for Kupchak: "A team that can be better than the team that got beat in the second round last year."

Q: On if the roster is worse than it was last season at present day:
Kupchak: "We're trying to improve our position (from last season). I think if we had gone to the Finals or won the Finals, you could say that we've taken a step back. But we got beat in the second round. Losing Lamar and not having Shannon Brown is a blow in terms of talent for this team, but it's not like we're breaking up a championship team … We will look to add to this mix."

Q: On the proposed trade from last week presumably involving New Orleans and Houston:
Kupchak: "There was never a trade that was announced, but clearly we were working towards something with other teams that we thought would result in a trade. It was disqualified by the NBA. (That was) completely unexpected … unique circumstances with the (Hornets) being run by the NBA. We did the best we could to express our displeasure, and to date there has been no change."

Q: On Odom being sent to Dallas:
Kupchak: "Lamar was sent to Dallas because he requested to be traded. That's not to say that we wouldn't have done something down the road. But the timing was such, and it's all tied into what took place last week, the unfortunate circumstances of Thursday and Friday. Lamar is probably more sensitive and emotional than most people, in particular our players, and that's a plus more than it's a minus. But in this case, he couldn't get over the fact that something like that took place. We were hoping that things would change in a day or two, but his representative called me on Saturday and said it's not going to change, and requested that (Odom) be traded. We worked together to find a spot that would give us the most flexibility going forward. There are a lot of teams in the NBA that would take a player like Lamar and you could probably do it in a day, but you'd have to take back players, and you might not like the players you were getting back, and there might be long (financial) commitments going out. That's not something we were interested in doing. All that does is handicap us going forward. To find a slot where you can just create complete flexibility and get back a pick (is unique).

- Kupchak went on to explain that it's the organization's philosophy to look after the Lakers first and foremost in a trade, and think less about with whom they're making the trade, even if it's in the team's division. He cited having traded within the division before (like Cedric Ceballos and Phoenix in the 1990's), and the team isn't "afraid of that." Taking precedence was the window in which a deal could be made, in which complete flexibility was a big key for L.A.'s future plans. Also, Kupchak was worried about energy being sucked away from the team with the "environment" that existed due to Odom's trade demand.

- Kupchak said that the Odom trade was "well thought out." He didn't deny that teams haven't gone through such a frenetic environment before due to the massively compressed time frame between when the CBA was ratified and the start of the season, but the Odom decision, he and Dr. Buss and Jim Buss collectively felt, needed to be made. Were they to wait a month or two to make the numbers work, find a team that had an exception, was anything but a guarantee. The key to making future moves is being flexible.

- The players are well aware that the roster could very well change tomorrow, or at any point of this season or in the future. Kupchak explained that while he felt badly about trade rumors some players had to deal with (particularly Pau Gasol), everyone understands that the players are paid a lot to play, the coaches to coach and management to manage.

- Kupchak does not anticipate using the team's amnesty clause for this season. They plan on carrying it forward to future seasons.

Q: On speaking to Kobe Bryant yesterday in his office:
Kupchak: "I spoke to Kobe, and he was going through to our PR department and he sat down. It was unplanned. We talked in general – how was the summer. (Odom) may have come up briefly, and our response was, 'This is something that he wanted to do and we had an opportunity to do it." That said, Kupchak said he understood and would expect why players would miss Lamar and be upset with him being moved. "You go to war with a guy like lamar for 6-7 years, win two championships and go to the Finals three times, you're going to feel that you miss the guy." You feel for the whole group.

Kupchak spent a few minutes explaining the unprecedented times around the league right now. "I would anticipate that everybody in the NBA would look at that pegged arrangement in two years and not try to put their team in jeapardy. There might be a team or two out there - I'd be surprised - that would say, 'Hey it's OK for us to go into an area like that.'"

- But with that said, Kupchak explained that Dr. Buss has always expressed a willingness to pay for players if it's worth it. In short, Kupchak wouldn't rule anything out into the future, even with certain tax implications.Dr. Buss wants to know that the money is going to be well spent, and will then sign off on potential deals and trades. Kupchak couldn't really get into how the differences in luxury tax dollar penalties could impact that mindset into the future, as so much is yet unknown about what the roster will look like.

Kobe video interview on 12/12:
http://www.nba.com/lakers/video/2011/12/12/111212practicekobebryant-1933157/index.html

http://www.nba.com/lakers/news/111213derrickcaracter_tearsmeniscus.html

Lakers forward Derrick Caracter tore the lateral meniscus in his left knee at Monday afternoon's practice.

Caracter is scheduled to have surgery tomorrow morning at the hand of Dr. Steve Lombardo. The Lakers will issue a press release at the conclusion of the surgery for the timetable of Caracter's recovery.

The 2010 second round pick saw some early-season minutes in his rookie season while Andrew Bynum recovered from injury, averaging 5.2 minutes per game towards 2.0 points and 1.0 rebounds on the season.

Day Five: 12/13

Kobe Bryant practice interview from 12/13:
http://www.nba.com/lakers/video/2011/12/13/111212practicekobebryant-1934169/index.html

Mike Brown practice interview from 12/13
http://www.nba.com/lakers/video/2011/12/13/111212practicemikebrown-1934184/index.html

Iron24th
12-09-2011, 08:49 PM
Metta being Artest

J4KOP99
12-09-2011, 09:02 PM
Ok, here is something I want to get off of my chest from the get-go. I refuse to call Ron Artest by his new name.

I will only refer to him as Ron, Artest, or Ron Artest.

That will be all.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
12-09-2011, 09:03 PM
Mike_Bresnahan Mike Bresnahan
Kobe had a minor but innovative procedure on his ailing right knee during the off-season. How's it feel now? "You'll see," he said, smiling.

Hellcrooner
12-09-2011, 09:19 PM
Ok, here is something I want to get off of my chest from the get-go. I refuse to call Ron Artest by his new name.

That will be all.

so will i.

KB-Pau-DH2012
12-10-2011, 04:29 PM
http://twitter.com/LakersReporter

Kobe said he has a full grasp of where and when he will receive the ball in Brown's offense. Did his homework before camp.

Some would expect an adjustment period to learn Brown's new offense. For Kobe? Said he already fully knows it. Completely.
2 minutes ago

Three players selected to make 2 straight FT's to end practice: Kobe, Kapono, Fisher ... 6-for-6. Brown now addressing team.
10 minutes ago

KevinDing KEVIN DING
Bynum is just dominating. Coaches all erupted in applause at him skying for RH tip-dunk of too-high Fisher oop in traffic.
16 minutes ago
Retweeted by LakersReporter

Barnes is on glass, running up & down freely. Does look to be "98%," as he stated earlier this week, after knee trouble last yr.
23 minutes ago

With the current roster, it's not a surprise to see Metta World Peace at the 4. Strong enough to play there against most teams.

GREATNESS ONE
12-10-2011, 04:34 PM
Kobe understands all Offenses.

Bruno
12-10-2011, 09:19 PM

practice footage with interviews from Kobe, Pau, Bynum and Brown.

Bruno
12-10-2011, 09:22 PM
Kobe twists his ankle at the 1:41 mark. his foot lands on ebanks foot. got up on his own power.

Bruno
12-10-2011, 09:29 PM
Gasol played but Odom didn't. didn't see him in any video footage from saturday.

Bruno
12-10-2011, 09:30 PM
Day II: 12/10:

It wasn't so much a concern as an expectation that it would take the Lakers a while to learn Coach Mike Brown's new system on both ends of the floor.

But that doesn't really apply to hoops savant Kobe Bryant.

"He's an intelligent guy," said Brown, an understatement as it applies to basketball. "He picks things up rather quickly.

Earlier this summer, Brown was able to fill Kobe in on his plans; naturally, Bryant had them relatively mastered before Friday's first day of camp.

"I already know," said Bryant, who's seen it all since arriving in the league in 1996. "I spent a lot of time with (Brown) before the lockout began figuring that stuff out so I could have a productive summer of work.

"Right now it's just about integrating the big guys, making sure they're comfortable with what they do. When the games start, I'm ready to do what I do."

So there's no adjustment period at all, Kobe? "Not for me. I already know."

It hasn't taken Brown long to know he only has to tell Kobe something once.

"Oh yeah … usually players like (Kobe), Tim Duncan and LeBron James have this uncanny, unique ability to be able to absorb whatever you're talking about and put it to good use on the next play," he explained.

Brown has spoken consistently throughout the summer about wanting to get his big men up and down the floor for a specific purpose.

"They will get early, great looks depending on how well we rebound and then how well they run the floor," he noted. "If they do those things the right way, they'll be able to get some looks without having to face a double team all the time, because the defense won't be set."

Theoretically, Bynum said he can already see how beneficial that can be to him personally, and his slimming down to 278 pounds certainly helps the process along.

And while starting to get some offense in was a focus on Saturday, defense remains Brown's priority. He assigned a "B or B-plus" to his squad for picking things up quickly as a "very, very intelligent team," but left room for improvement as plenty of mistakes were made.

They'll be back at it on Sunday after the team's media day, which commences at 9 a.m.

GREATNESS ONE
12-10-2011, 09:40 PM
Day II: 12/10:

Crazy soooo Kobe did meet up with Brown before the season started. All that worrying about how Kobe didn't say anything about the Brown hiring. He just did the typical Kobe thing and went to work. Thanks for the read Bruno man

Bruno
12-10-2011, 10:52 PM
Crazy soooo Kobe did meet up with Brown before the season started. All that worrying about how Kobe didn't say anything about the Brown hiring. He just did the typical Kobe thing and went to work. Thanks for the read Bruno man

NP dude. im gona keep posting the practice reports in this thread so we have a log of it a few weeks down the road. the laker page is updated daily, so the only way to preserve each days report is to put it in the thread.

Fool
12-11-2011, 10:54 PM
Ron's jersey. (http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lw1vtzpTY21qzb7vjo1_500.jpg)

beans439
12-11-2011, 11:13 PM

That will be all.

I second that...I would also notion to add f###face to the list?

lakers4sho
12-11-2011, 11:55 PM
I'm sure Kobe and coach Brown communcated somehow even during the lockout to work on learning the system and such. I don't expect anything less from someone like KB.

Bruno
12-12-2011, 12:03 AM

That will be all.

i feel the same way. still ron artest in my book

EXTRAWON
12-12-2011, 01:36 PM
i feel the same way. still ron artest in my book

"His mama name was Clay, Imma call him Clay" lol... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWvDao-MpOk

Avenged
12-12-2011, 03:57 PM
kapono & kobe taking wing j's. Kapono yet to miss (25-for-25), kobe missed 4.

- lakers reporter

daaaaaaaaaaaaaamn

Fool
12-12-2011, 04:04 PM
all our 3 pointers are gonna come out the second unit... Him and Goudelock out there at the same time...raining 3s.

Chacarron
12-12-2011, 04:07 PM
daaaaaaaaaaaaaamn

Another Sasha, perhaps?

Fool
12-12-2011, 04:10 PM
Another Sasha, perhaps?

kapono won the 3pt contest...

lakers4sho
12-13-2011, 02:06 AM
...is Luke really going to be our starter for next season? :o

Bruno
12-13-2011, 03:19 AM
updated with a six minute practice interview with Kobe from 12/12.
http://www.nba.com/lakers/video/2011/12/12/111212practicekobebryant-1933157/index.html

Bruno
12-13-2011, 03:21 AM
...is Luke really going to be our starter for next season? :o

i hope the guy who was on the brink of self imposed retirement last month isn't our starter, personally. lol

Bruno
12-13-2011, 03:22 AM
"His mama name was Clay, Imma call him Clay" lol... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWvDao-MpOk

hahaa. seriously though, Joe Louis was 76 years old. way past his prime. and thats coming from an italian.

Bruno
12-13-2011, 09:20 PM
updated on Tuesday, including practice interviews from Brown and Bryant, as well as injury updates on D. Caracter