PDA

View Full Version : Chauncey Billups could retire if amnestied by Knicks

KB-Pau-DH2012
12-09-2011, 04:37 PM
Chauncey Billups, reportedly scheduled to be fired by the New York Knicks to clear salary-cap room for Tyson Chandler, will consider retiring from the NBA if he is claimed off waivers by a team he deems undesirable, according to his agent.

Acting under terms of the new collective bargaining agreement, the Knicks were preparing to apply the one-time amnesty clause to Billups' contract, shedding his $14.2 million wage from their payroll and landing him on the league's waiver wire.

"But I wouldn't be surprised if Chauncey retired rather than play for a team he wouldn't want to play for," said Andy Miller, agent for the 35-year-old point guard. "He doesn't need the money, his kids are getting to an age where he wants to be an active participant, and he doesn't need the frustration and instability he's constantly dealing with. So he may choose not to play."

Miller said his client raised the possibility of retirement after news broke that the Knicks were close to an agreement with Chandler, and that the 14-year veteran playmaker would need to be sacrificed to make the deal possible. Billups didn't want to leave Denver last February when he was shipped to New York in the Carmelo Anthony trade.

"Chauncey's pissed off, but he's not pissed at the Knicks," Miller said. "He understands it's a business and they have to do what they have to do.

"But he's in a very frustrated state of mind because this has happened to him twice now. The way the league is structured, if you're a hot name and teams have interest in you, you have the ability to manufacture mass hysteria, and guys like Chauncey who put in years of high-level leadership, production, and service get lost."

Billups might not be the only Knick on the way out with Chandler coming on board. Sources told ESPN The Magazine's Ric Bucher that the team is offering forward Ronny Turiaf and $3 million to teams with cap space to clear payroll.

Miller said numerous teams have expressed interest in Billups, but that he hasn't engaged the five-time All-Star in conversation about them.

"It would be a complete waste of time right now," Miller said, "because it's been a very trying time for Chauncey.

"He enjoyed the city life in New York and had no gripes about his time there. But if he's picked up in a situation he doesn't want, maybe he retires, or he retires for one year, I don't know. If he can't choose his destiny and he's only there for 66 games, I think he'd much rather stay at home until the season is over."

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nba/story/_/id/7336197/agent-chauncey-billups-retire-new-york-knicks-waive-pg

Slug3
12-09-2011, 04:39 PM
Pretty much means "if you are not aiming to win a championship dont pick me up cause I wont come"

kntresistheheat
12-09-2011, 04:49 PM
Heat bound!

KB-Pau-DH2012
12-09-2011, 04:52 PM
Pretty much means "if you are not aiming to win a championship dont pick me up cause I wont come"

He wants stability and commitment. He's already won a championship and finals mvp.

Ty Fast
12-09-2011, 05:00 PM
Heat bound!

i hope so

Heediot
12-09-2011, 05:03 PM
I think the Nuggets should pick him up. He wants to re-join the organization when he retires anyway. If they do grab him, trade Miller (expiring) for some other piece(s).

DoMeFavors
12-09-2011, 05:05 PM
Would be cool if we got the old Pistons team back once more

Billups
Rip
Prince
Ben Wallace

ChiSoxJuan
12-09-2011, 05:06 PM
I think you're right. Denver has the cap space to win the bid process & it was hard for them to part with Billups in the first place.

Heediot
12-09-2011, 05:07 PM
Would be cool if we got the old Pistons team back once more

Billups
Rip
Prince
Ben Wallace

I think they would have a shot at playoffs if they added him.

Robbw241
12-09-2011, 05:08 PM
I don't think they'd have shot at playoffs but it would be totally sweet. Hey where's Sheed at :D

GodsSon
12-09-2011, 05:10 PM
Just retire now then.

Look, I respect Billups and like him as a player, but the waiver system comes with the territory of the new CBA; you don't get the option of choosing where you want to go. Simple as that.

Hawkeye15
12-09-2011, 05:11 PM
I would rather a team under the cap grabs him and he retires with that attitude.

Playing in the NBA is a privelage. You do it as long as you can, because when you are done, you rarely get a chance to make ridiculous amounts of money again.

Punk
12-09-2011, 05:14 PM
I think the Nuggets should pick him up. He wants to re-join the organization when he retires anyway. If they do grab him, trade Miller (expiring) for some other piece(s).

I think he's more pissed at Denver than anyone because they didn't have to trade him. But they did anyway.

He understands why we did it, I think he would have found a way to negotiate less money to stay and play with Chandler but that's not possible.

kozelkid
12-09-2011, 05:15 PM
I would rather a team under the cap grabs him and he retires with that attitude.

Playing in the NBA is a privelage. You do it as long as you can, because when you are done, you rarely get a chance to make ridiculous amounts of money again.

Agreed.

This is the same BS as with Palmer.

Funny thing is I guarantee Dan Gilbert picks up Billups to spite the Heat. Talk about the ultimate troll.

Kashmir13579
12-09-2011, 05:15 PM

I do feel kinda bad for him, though.

GREATNESS ONE
12-09-2011, 05:16 PM
He's going to Miami it's Automatic. Knicks should be careful this doesn't come back and bite them in the ***.

justinnum1
12-09-2011, 05:17 PM
Denver needs to pick him up and buy him out, would be nice of them

iggypop123
12-09-2011, 05:17 PM
owners will call his bluff

metswon69
12-09-2011, 05:20 PM
The Knicks should find a way to bring him back with him, Amare, Anthony and Chandler they could put together a decent starting 5.

greek miami hea
12-09-2011, 05:22 PM
he is coming to miami

Hawkeye15
12-09-2011, 05:23 PM
Agreed.

This is the same BS as with Palmer.

Funny thing is I guarantee Dan Gilbert picks up Billups to spite the Heat. Talk about the ultimate troll.

that last line made me giggle

Captain Moroni
12-09-2011, 05:24 PM
If Gilbert did pick him up, I would laugh for an hour. That would be really funny.

Hawkeye15
12-09-2011, 05:24 PM

sure, it sucks that he just happened to go hardcore into regression right when he was with a team doing something, and became an amnesty candidate because of his big contract. But he has to understand its a business. Hey, if he saved money unlike most athletes, go ahead and retire. Me, I would play until no team would pay me. Suck that sponge dry dude.

roshan3ai
12-09-2011, 05:26 PM
I feel for him and how he was treated after being dealt to NY unwillingly in the Melo deal. He doesn't deserve this, but I hate what he's doing right now. I obviously understand it because he will go to a contender of his choice if nobody signs him. He threatens retirement so nobody bids on him and then goes on and goes to a contender. To see him go to the Heat would be absolutely devastating.

BGeer091
12-09-2011, 05:27 PM
If Billups just retires does he still count against the CAP??

VillaMaravilla
12-09-2011, 05:28 PM

are you serious dude not me, he a big baby, fussed over coming to the Knicks and now hes doing the same crap about playing basketball for 14 mil....im glad we got his old aaaaas out of here........dont feel sorry for a millionaire basketball player

VillaMaravilla
12-09-2011, 05:30 PM
I feel for him and how he was treated after being dealt to NY unwillingly in the Melo deal. He doesn't deserve this, but I hate what he's doing right now. I obviously understand it because he will go to a contender of his choice if nobody signs him. He threatens retirement so nobody bids on him and then goes on and goes to a contender. To see him go to the Heat would be absolutely devastating.

are you guys serious he was a Knick for what half a year? and to top it off he didnt even want to come here and now all of sudden hes a true Knick, screw him, this is him just trying to scare teams away so he ends up with the HEAT

goNYgoNYgo
12-09-2011, 05:30 PM
he's going to the heat. i know it. fakkkk! this is gonna make the heat even more dangerous. knicks need to counter this move....maybe arenas or dare i say ai?

roshan3ai
12-09-2011, 05:33 PM
are you guys serious he was a Knick for what half a year? and to top it off he didnt even want to come here and now all of sudden hes a true Knick, screw him, this is him just trying to scare teams away so he ends up with the HEAT

Who the hell cares if he's a true Knick or not. He was added onto the Melo deal at the trade deadline for cap reasons and was forced to leave his family in Denver where he loved it for NY. Then he is pretty acclimated with NY and is excited about the season and gets amnestied. Nobody should be treated like that.

And if you read the rest of my post, I know what he's trying to do and don't agree with it. Him going to the Heat would be terrible

supermario42
12-09-2011, 05:40 PM
The Knicks should find a way to bring him back with him, Amare, Anthony and Chandler they could put together a decent starting 5.

I wish that would happen but if the knicks amnesty billups than they cant resign him :sad2:

NBA_Starter
12-09-2011, 05:47 PM
It would be sad to see it end that way!

IBleedPurple
12-09-2011, 06:00 PM
Wouldn't blame him.