PDA

View Full Version : Is seven, eight years not enough?

NYSpirit1
12-09-2011, 04:25 PM
I see a lot of people upset with these stars leaving, especially owners and fans of small market teams. But this is not Russell Westbrook or Kevin Durant spending a couple of years somewhere and leaving.

The Nuggets, Cavs, Raptors, Magic, Hornets, Suns, Timberwolves, Jazz, etc. all had years and years of their stars there and they could never put together a championship.

I don't understand how you can fault a player wanting to leave in their prime to get a championship after failing for so many years in one place. I don't see why a player has to be locked in a city he hasn't won in.

Look at Duncan and Durant. Duncan won and Durant's been winning. They stayed. None of those teams ever won anything and all of them except for the Raptors got to the Conference Finals at least once.

Players want to win. You can't fault them for that.

Canterbury
12-09-2011, 04:28 PM
As long as they don't go on ESPN to giggle about their signing, I think loyal fans would understand or at the least get over it sooner.

BranWingss
12-09-2011, 04:29 PM
I can understand that, but building these superteams? No thanks!

Mitchell133
12-09-2011, 04:31 PM
And what do you have to say to a Raptors fan, who will never see his team win a championship?

Iceman05
12-09-2011, 04:32 PM
If these guys wanna win championships, why not help the franchise they are currently with try to recruit other stars to come play with them - rather than jump ship?

Hawkeye15
12-09-2011, 04:33 PM
I understand a player wanting to leave after that 2nd contract, for sure. If their team hasn't won a ring.

Sadds The Gr8
12-09-2011, 04:35 PM
u essentially made this same exact thread yesterday. cool story bro.

BigCityofDreams
12-09-2011, 04:37 PM
If these guys wanna win championships, why not help the franchise they are currently with try to recruit other stars to come play with them - rather than jump ship?

Because certain players don't want to play in certain markets. If you're a big star why would you play for the Bucks or Bobcats(no disrespect to fans of those teams). It;s hard for some to say hey come join us here on the Bucks.

cooters22
12-09-2011, 04:40 PM
I'm sick of hearing Durant blah, blah, blah. He is still a young kid. Wait until he can leave for free agency or doesn't win a ring or things become stale in OKC. You can't say he will or won't turn into a diva like these other guys yet.

xSolidx
12-09-2011, 04:47 PM
I was thinking about this yesterday. If a great player is on your team for 7-8 yrs, it should be enough to win at least one championship. The problem is that GM's, owners, etc dont know how to build a proper team. They start to acquire washed up players with big contracts who were once great (ex: Arenas, VC for Magic; Shaq, Jamison for Cavs) and hope they find the fountain of youth. Then they are stuch with them basically and have no flexibility to do anything. As for the Hornets, they were forever stuck in mediocrity and never made any real attempt to become a top team in the west. So you really cant blame CP3 for wanting to leave.

Im obviously a fan of a big city team, but I do like it when great players stay with the small market team. There are just too many poor executives around the league. They need to learn how to draft properly, know to acquire assets and be able to stay away from bad contracts because it will bite you in the end.

sep11ie
12-09-2011, 04:48 PM
I'm gonna go with the "cool story bro" route.

CTCUBBIES
12-09-2011, 04:52 PM
I see a lot of people upset with these stars leaving, especially owners and fans of small market teams. But this is not Russell Westbrook or Kevin Durant spending a couple of years somewhere and leaving.

The Nuggets, Cavs, Raptors, Magic, Hornets, Suns, Timberwolves, Jazz, etc. all had years and years of their stars there and they could never put together a championship.

I don't understand how you can fault a player wanting to leave in their prime to get a championship after failing for so many years in one place. I don't see why a player has to be locked in a city he hasn't won in.

Look at Duncan and Durant. Duncan won and Durant's been winning. They stayed. None of those teams ever won anything and all of them except for the Raptors got to the Conference Finals at least once.

I can understand a guy wanting a trade but not a guy that doesn't feel like finishing the final year of his deal and then turning around and saying I will only sign with X team.

In the past guys were pretty respected if they said "trade me to a contender" and they were generally granted that request after long service with a team. That's a lot different than a CPIII saying "I will only go play with my friends in NYC."

Aust
12-09-2011, 04:55 PM

Because they may have lost faith in the FO to make good decisions. Especially if you have a heap of aweful contracts all around you, trying to find a way to dig out of that hole

Arch Stanton
12-09-2011, 05:08 PM
I think after 7, 8 years all small market/undesirable markets should ship their star players to the Knicks, Lakers, and Heat. That way these markets like New York or Miami never have to worry about rebuilding. I want to make sure that we cater to the fans of those cities. Don't want to see the Knicks stink for a decade again.

Hawkeye15
12-09-2011, 05:09 PM
I think after 7, 8 years all small market/undesirable markets should ship their star players to the Knicks, Lakers, and Heat. That way these markets like New York or Miami never have to worry about rebuilding. I want to make sure that we cater to the fans of those cities. Don't want to see the Knicks stink for a decade again.

lol

Raps18-19 Champ
12-09-2011, 05:13 PM

Durant and Duncan aren't egotistical *******s though like Carmelo, Howard, Lebron, Bosh and a couple more. Those guys think highly of themselves while Durant and Duncan are pretty modest.

hugepatsfan
12-09-2011, 05:17 PM
It's not the players leaving that bothers me. The issue I have is where they are talking with other players years in advance about how they can all find their way to a particular city.

Kevj77
12-09-2011, 05:19 PM
I can understand a guy wanting a trade but not a guy that doesn't feel like finishing the final year of his deal and then turning around and saying I will only sign with X team.

In the past guys were pretty respected if they said "trade me to a contender" and they were generally granted that request after long service with a team. That's a lot different than a CPIII saying "I will only go play with my friends in NYC."I see that a little differently. Players aren't obligated to sign extensions with just any team to help out their current team. Their teams have a choice trade them or hope they can resign them. Paul can't sign outright in LA or NY (after Chandler). The Hornets could take their chances and hope he doesn't have any better options. They don't have to trade him anymore than he has to sign an extension.

James Dolan
12-09-2011, 05:20 PM
No. It is not enough. I've talked with David numerous times
about the NBA ditching the salary cap just like baseball. I would've
liked to sign Zach Randolph to a 10 year/220 million dollar contract. He deserves what Arod and the other baseball stars are getting. He's just a flat out winner and role model to the other players.

If you sign these guys to even longer contracts, it isn't feasible that
they could want to leave earlier.