PDA

View Full Version : Celtics trade Big Baby to Orlando for Brandon Bass

AllAbout18
12-09-2011, 01:19 PM
According to a league source, the Cs are in discussions with Orlando to send Big Baby, in a sign-and-trade deal, to Orlando for power forward Brandon Bass - a player Magic management had been very high on at one stage.

http://www.bostonherald.com/blogs/sports/celtics/index.php/2011/12/09/celts-in-talks-to-trade-glen-davis-to-orlando/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

king4day
12-09-2011, 01:22 PM
Interesting move. I like it for both sides. Boston makes up for what they'll lose.

Vincent33
12-09-2011, 01:24 PM
Okay! I'm on board with that one.

Chronz
The Magic are run by morons

haggis
The Magic are run by morons

:laugh2:

BranWingss
Interesting move. I like it for both sides. Boston makes up for what they'll lose.

Agreed. I really think Davis will get it done in Orlando with bigger minutes. Boston gains a nice replacement, who can log some minutes at the 4. Boston went after Bass a few years ago, right?

justinnum1
12-09-2011, 01:36 PM
I feel like every time otis smith makes a move, he's just asking to be fired, but no one ever fires him:shrug:

thekmp211
12-09-2011, 01:38 PM
larry hughes and big baby. orlando magic: reloaded.

Shmontaine
12-09-2011, 01:40 PM
LOL... great move...

now let's do d12 to chicago for boozer straight up... baby can play the c...

Fresno
12-09-2011, 01:52 PM
Celtics trading F Glen Davis in sign and trade to Magic for F Brandon Bass, source tells @YahooSports.
http://twitter.com/#!/SpearsNBAYahoo/status/145193453784023042

Interesting.

Big Baby played his best against Orlando 3 years ago.

smith&wesson
12-09-2011, 01:54 PM
Dumb trade by the magic.

heyman321
12-09-2011, 01:54 PM
That's stupid considering Big Baby is better than Bass. I guess he was asking the Celtics for too much money.

IndyRealist
12-09-2011, 01:55 PM
Glen Davis is trash. Bass is much better in every measurable way.

DMasta718
12-09-2011, 01:58 PM
Why would they give up Bass for?

Chronz
12-09-2011, 02:00 PM
That's stupid considering Big Baby is better than Bass. I guess he was asking the Celtics for too much money.
How is Baby better? All he does it take jumpshots, atleast Bass makes his jumpers and can rebound.

RLundi
12-09-2011, 02:01 PM
What the hell is Otis Smith DOING?

Sadds The Gr8
12-09-2011, 02:02 PM
All Big Baby can do is take charges with his fat *** stomach. Bass is better than him. Good trade for Boston

FUKudomeYOMOMMA
12-09-2011, 02:17 PM
straight up? they got the same kind of game, but bass can actually hit most of his shots. both cant play down low, but davis has no excuse since he's a giant fat *** who should at least be able to box out. it makes no sense for the magic. is it cap space? maybe the numbers can explain

Super.
12-09-2011, 02:18 PM

No, Big Baby is not better. Baby is a chucker, who plays pretty good D, takes charges, and is an utter goofball

rapjuicer06
12-09-2011, 02:21 PM
Don't gain a lot, don't lose a lot. People say Davis is a chucker, but so was Bass lol. Every time he touched the ball it went in the air

Vikes_Fan_TC
12-09-2011, 02:21 PM
As a diehard Celtics fan, I love this trade. Anything to get Davis out of town with his pouting ways is great news for Boston. I like Bass, he brings toughness and offensive rebounding, two things this team needs. Now just need to find a center or two and the offseason is complete.

macc
12-09-2011, 02:23 PM
No, Big Baby is not better. Baby is a chucker, who plays pretty good D, takes charges, and is an utter goofball

Love the sig man

smith&wesson
12-09-2011, 02:27 PM
Don't gain a lot, don't lose a lot. People say Davis is a chucker, but so was Bass lol. Every time he touched the ball it went in the air

big baby is a nuisance

shep33
12-09-2011, 02:27 PM
Bass isn't that big of an upgrade though. Still good move by the C's to improve

rapjuicer06
12-09-2011, 02:30 PM
big baby is a nuisance

This is true...maybe he was brought in for Dwight to beat on some more? Go for knock out number 2?

Carey
12-09-2011, 02:31 PM
I like it for both teams as long as Orlando didnt overpay for Baby, im fearful they did, we'll see

rapjuicer06
12-09-2011, 02:33 PM
probably 4 year 58 million lol. Otis is a dumbass....I thought ehh whatever at first, but now that I think of it, they just basically gave the Celtics something while Orlando gained nothing...

GiantsSwaGG
12-09-2011, 02:36 PM
Maybe the dumbest trade of the season

Rivera
12-09-2011, 02:49 PM
Lol at celtic fans calling baby a chucker when bass is a chucker to

Baby is a damn good team/help defender...yes baby can worry abt personal stats over team success at times but baby to me has just as good of a shot can handle better move better and baby does know how use his girth

Bass has tendencies to disappear in games...personally i think the magic got the better end of the deal

Sadds The Gr8
12-09-2011, 02:53 PM

lol @ sig

DaVille
12-09-2011, 02:56 PM
Defensively Baby is solid, but he just can' rebound the ball. As long as Dwight Howard is there no problem. It also should help his offense when teams are keying on Dwight.

hugepatsfan
12-09-2011, 03:21 PM
Apparently Baby is a guy that Dwight liked and asked ORL to pursue. Makes some sense because Baby has actually in his career played Dwight well defensively and had a pretty good series against them a few years back. They just did this to appease him. But Bass is the better player and his contract is better than what Baby is probably going to get.

This reminds me of the Antwan Jamison deal for the Cavs - bad move that is made just to appease a star that will inevitably leave anyway.

ShakeN'Bake
12-09-2011, 03:25 PM
I like this deal alot.

KB-Pau-DH2012
12-09-2011, 03:27 PM
Good move for Boston, bad move for Orlando.

Does Otis Smith think an acquisition of Big Baby will keep Dwight in Orlando? :laugh2:

justinnum1
12-09-2011, 03:28 PM
spears
New Orlando Magic forward Glen Davis getting a four-year deal paying in $26 million range, source tells @YahooSports.
:facepalm:

dhopisthename
12-09-2011, 03:29 PM
lol wow that is a ton of money

Johann
12-09-2011, 03:30 PM
Obviously they don't plan on keeping Dwight...

Chronz
12-09-2011, 06:13 PM

Exactly so they are the same players, why not keep the guy who makes more of those shots?

Lol at celtic fans calling baby a chucker when bass is a chucker to

Baby is a damn good team/help defender...yes baby can worry abt personal stats over team success at times but baby to me has just as good of a shot can handle better move better and baby does know how use his girth

Bass has tendencies to disappear in ...personally i think the magic got the better
end of the deal
Yea he does take alot of charges, and hes a decent low post defender. If he can provide the same defensive presence then its arguable, but offensively, Bass is a chucker who makes those shots.

AddiX
12-09-2011, 06:20 PM
Isn't bass making a bunch of $?

And what's the point in Orlando taking on a new contract right now?

I don't get Orlando making any moves that brings in more $. You've been blessed wth shaq,amd Howard, and it's not hard to see why they lost shaq and will lose Howard.

YungDaSensai
12-09-2011, 06:22 PM
two undersized 4's swapped... Otis is a dummy

hugepatsfan
12-09-2011, 06:22 PM
Isn't bass making a bunch of $?

And what's the point in Orlando taking on a new contract right now?

I don't get Orlando making any moves that brings in more $. You've been blessed wth shaq,amd Howard, and it's not hard to see why they lost shaq and will lose Howard.

Bass makes 4 mil this year and has a 4mil player option for next year (one I think he'll decline). Very reasonable contract.

UPRock
12-09-2011, 06:41 PM
Really? LMAO.

TheKnight
12-09-2011, 06:47 PM
Will I guess DWIGHTS STAYING!

THE MTL
12-09-2011, 06:51 PM
SO this is how you convince Dwight Howard to stay lmao! Seriously, Magic is full of awful contracts and this is just the newest one coming in.

If I managed this team,
1. I would not sign Big Baby.
2. Amnesty Arenas.
3. Trade Dwight, Hedo, Reddick to NJ for almost everything they got.

Completely clearing payroll and got a nice young center to start off with.

Rivera
12-09-2011, 06:53 PM
Bass makes shots? Wht? Lmfao baby makes shots to! Of course bass fg% is gonna be better when you take less shos and play less minutes...baby has a better midrange game and theres no doubt about it...i watch the C's play all the time and im an orlando fan so i catch as many games as i can...bass disappears from games...at least baby has an impact...and when baby was starting the year KG went down he was puttin up almost 17 ppg with like 8 board...we dont need baby to rebound when we have dwight and bass isnt even a great rebounder anyway...a lot of people are overrating bass and under rating baby

Baby is a btter team and individual defender than bass..he actually defended dwight well...baby and bass is basically the same player except baby is a little bit better...he isnt wayyy better but hes certainly better than bass

Rivera
12-09-2011, 06:54 PM
And i love how people call baby a knuckle head but bass is a saint...yes baby can make VERY questionable decisions but bass isnt no saint either

If i had a quarter for how many times ive heard bass say "give me more minutes or trade me" id probably have like 10 bucks

TO Rapz
12-09-2011, 06:56 PM
Good trade for Boston..

X12Celtics3
12-09-2011, 07:09 PM
Bass makes shots? Wht? Lmfao baby makes shots to! Of course bass fg% is gonna be better when you take less shos and play less minutes...baby has a better midrange game and theres no doubt about it...i watch the C's play all the time and im an orlando fan so i catch as many games as i can...bass disappears from games...at least baby has an impact...and when baby was starting the year KG went down he was puttin up almost 17 ppg with like 8 board...we dont need baby to rebound when we have dwight and bass isnt even a great rebounder anyway...a lot of people are overrating bass and under rating baby

Baby is a btter team and individual defender than bass..he actually defended dwight well...baby and bass is basically the same player except baby is a little bit better...he isnt wayyy better but hes certainly better than bass

2011 Stat comparison (per game averages):

Davis: 29.5 MPG, 11.7 PPG, 5.4 REB, 4.6/10.3 FG (.448), 2.5/3.4 FT (.736)
Bass: 26.1 MPG, 11.2 PPG, 5.6 REB, 4.4/8.5 FG (.515), 2.5/3.1 FT (.815)

What you said about Bass playing significantly less is wrong, they are almost identical. Also, Bass made about the same amount of shots per game despite taking an average of almost three less shots per game. Their stats are almost identical in every way, but the one major differentiating stat is that Bass seems to be a more efficient offensive player and better free throw shooter.

I haven't seen Bass play a whole lot, so I can't say I'm an expert... but the stats say that they are similar with a slight edge going to Bass, which is the opposite of what you are saying.

*Superman*
12-09-2011, 07:10 PM
Most people don't know much about Bass. He rarely got PT in Orlando because he never learned the plays. Every time he was out there he looked lost, leading to a midrange jumper. I actually like the pick up for Baby. He puts more effort on defense and we need that along with Howard.

Still going to miss Bass, he played with a lot of heart.

h2r09
12-09-2011, 07:13 PM
good trade for both teams, but what an absolutely stupid contract to give to big baby. you really would wonder when teams will realize that the difference between great players and ok players is soooooooo much bigger than the difference between ok players and bad players. these middle of the road guys are not worth these contracts that are 6-7-8-9 million a year. it is a ridiculous cap hold that you will regret later when you realize that it isn't hard to find guys to put up numbers like the ok players do.

Raph12
12-09-2011, 07:20 PM
I don't really care for this trade, the money is what I dislike the most though... Baby is a better defender and a better passer than Bass (probably the least willing passer in the league); but Bass was more efficient and just as productive as Baby offensively.

Would Dwight getting Baby open looks increase his efficiency that much? Doubt it, but if Baby could provide some relief for Dwight on the defensive end, the trade maybe worth it.

Rivera
12-09-2011, 07:31 PM

2011 Stat comparison (per game averages):

Davis: 29.5 MPG, 11.7 PPG, 5.4 REB, 4.6/10.3 FG (.448), 2.5/3.4 FT (.736)
Bass: 26.1 MPG, 11.2 PPG, 5.6 REB, 4.4/8.5 FG (.515), 2.5/3.1 FT (.815)

What you said about Bass playing significantly less is wrong, they are almost identical. Also, Bass made about the same amount of shots per game despite taking an average of almost three less shots per game. Their stats are almost identical in every way, but the one major differentiating stat is that Bass seems to be a more efficient offensive player and better free throw shooter.

I haven't seen Bass play a whole lot, so I can't say I'm an expert... but the stats say that they are similar with a slight edge going to Bass, which is the opposite of what you are saying.

Listen...

Baby is more skilled than bass offensivley...bass plays with heart he goes out and gives 110% heck of a player...but baby is wayy more skilled offensively and is a better team defender....bass would have one good qtr and thats it...baby was basically the first big off the bench for the C's and in the C's championship run who played in the 4th when the game was on. The line? Baby as a C with KG while bass couldnt sniff 4th qtr action....bass wont be able to play some C and he will disappear in and out of games...bass has one go to move...a little mid range jumper that he fades...thats all he ever does...and your gonna hit a higher percentage of shots when your mid range game is solid and teams are doubling dwight..its an easy pass for dwight to make out of a double

Baby is the better player...he plays when it matters he can play 2 positions...baby can put the ball on the floor unlike bass and there mid range Js are about the same...anyone can hit wide open shots

I will admit...baby was more focused on personal stats and achievements last year which is why he shot more than he should...but when KG went down who played pretty damn good starting in his place? Baby...even when the C's were healthy and at full strength what lineup would they use? Rondo allen pierce kg and baby when it was crunch time for orlando who was on the floor? Nelson reddik jrich hedo and dwight...bass was no where in sight

Not to mention bass has been in orlando for what? 2 or 3 years? And he still never learned the playbook....the only thing i HATE is the money they gav baby

James Dolan
12-09-2011, 07:33 PM
Phenomenal deal. This should keep Dwight in Orlando. Great news.

Anilyzer
12-09-2011, 07:41 PM
the Celtics are in shambles.

first they traded Perkins for Green, then they're trading Green for basically nothing.

now they're trading Glenn Davis, the other "real Celtic" who made them a tough defensive big team.

I'm sure not worried about the Celtics anymore... don't know about anyone else. Bring 'em on LoL

hugepatsfan
12-09-2011, 07:43 PM

first they traded Perkins for Green, then they're trading Green for basically nothing.

now they're trading Glenn Davis, the other "real Celtic" who made them a tough defensive big team.

I'm sure not worried about the Celtics anymore... don't know about anyone else. Bring 'em on LoL

Ummm... who are they trading Green for? He was in the proposed CP3 deal, but that's hardly moving him for "basically nothing?"

And Bass is roughly the same player as Baby, but a better contract. BOS is obviously going to have to rebuild soon - this trade allows them to keep Baby like production w/out hurting their long term rebuilding process. It's a great move on their end.

Ecko72jc
12-09-2011, 07:50 PM

The Lakers are about to trade their only healthy bigs for a PG. LMAO at you.

PennyMy#1
12-09-2011, 07:52 PM
Maybe the dumbest trade of the season

true.

i am a magic fan since day one of the franchise. and somehow i get dejavu that sets me back to the andrew declerq pat gartity steve francis kelvin cato days.

why the **** do we trade away bass for a not pretty cheap overweighted bench player ? here we come 25-30 wins seasons. but so what ? we had a decade of mediocricy and below. so i guess otis wants to "repeat" :facepalm: just fire him. he had his try. i am pissed. hope we get rid of agent zero, hedo, nelson and duhon and get youth, picks and talent in return. hope we keep earl clark either and rebuild with him and j richardson.

great thing is we traded away a 2011 first in the hedo-vince carte trade :facepalm:

Hustlenomics
12-09-2011, 07:57 PM

ahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahaha

Hustlenomics
12-09-2011, 08:01 PM
i think i seen big baby is a good defender in this thread and that he's a better passer (he'd rather get shot before he passes it) :facepalm:

MJ-BULLS
12-09-2011, 08:02 PM
Don't like this move for the Orlando Magic.

Sportfan
12-09-2011, 08:04 PM
i think i seen big baby is a good defender in this thread and that he's a better passer (he'd rather get shot before he passes it) :facepalm:
bass isn't much of a defender himself

Hustlenomics
12-09-2011, 08:07 PM
^ it's impossible to get scored on as much as big baby does down low

Lakerhead4ever
12-09-2011, 08:14 PM
does anyone realize these two players are the exact same as far as basketball goes. both can spread the floor, big bodies, can defend and get rebounds.

only difference is their mental. big baby is strange

so boston wins this trade

Reversed86Curse
12-09-2011, 08:39 PM
Good move for Boston. Similar players number wise and Davis' fat *** is over paid by a division rival- it's like a made for TV movie!

mgsports
12-09-2011, 08:41 PM
I would have Trade Duhon or JJ for him because we need all the Front Court help we can get.

RadiantShot
12-09-2011, 08:47 PM
Most people don't know much about Bass. He rarely got PT in Orlando because he never learned the plays. Every time he was out there he looked lost, leading to a midrange jumper. I actually like the pick up for Baby. He puts more effort on defense and we need that along with Howard.

Still going to miss Bass, he played with a lot of heart.

Agreed.
But there really shouldn't be too much further debate on it. They're virtually the same player on the stat sheet.

MackShock
12-09-2011, 08:49 PM
pretty even i would say..though bass is a better defender

PAOboston
12-09-2011, 09:32 PM
this made my day.

glen davis was the most useless and pathetic player for the celtics during the 2nd half of the seasons/playoffs last year. this guy has mental issues. red flags started going up for me at least when from the year before when he said "he didnt know what his role with the team was." how the hell do you not know what your role is? your a ****ing bench player! that's what your role is! i think the celtics were tired by his schtick and they ended up using him sparingly down the stretch.

baby is a good role player when he has his head on straight, which seems rarely over the past year plus unfortunately. he thinks he's a starter and deserves to get paid. well, he got a nice payday from the magic and the c's got a player who has similar characteristics as he does on a much smaller contract. it's a win for the c's.

RevisIsland
12-09-2011, 09:43 PM
Interesting trade, not sure how I feel about it.

B'sCeltsPatsSox
12-09-2011, 09:47 PM
I love this as a Celtics fan.

Well, this post is so wrong. Green is without a doubt better than Perk(Perk was God awful in the playoffs). Green just re-signed with the Celtics(only trade he'll be in is for CP3).

Raph12
12-10-2011, 12:12 AM

If you think Baby is a bad defender who doesn't pass the ball, you're in for a surprise and not the good kind...

Bass is a poor defender, didn't have the size to guard other PFs, didn't have the quickness to guard SFs; he would get lit up by any capable scoring PF in the league and Dwight would double regularly in the post.

As for passing, Bass is the most reluctant passer in the league see his passing rate which is laughable and yet he has a higher turnover rate than Baby as well.

He's more efficient at knocking down that midrange jumper and a decent offensive rebounder, but the reason why he never logged big minutes was because he couldn't get the plays down on both ends in all the time he played for us. Bass looks awkward when he's on the court and gets lost from time to time; if you have him just spot up to spread the floor and knock down jumpers, you'll be good.

thekmp211
12-10-2011, 12:18 AM
If you think Baby is a bad defender who doesn't pass the ball, you're in for a surprise and not the good kind...

Bass is a poor defender, didn't have the size to guard other PFs, didn't have the quickness to guard SFs; he would get lit up by any capable scoring PF in the league and Dwight would double regularly in the post.

As for passing, Bass is the most reluctant passer in the league see his passing rate which is laughable and yet he has a higher turnover rate than Baby as well.

He's more efficient at knocking down that midrange jumper and a decent offensive rebounder, but the reason why he never logged big minutes was because he couldn't get the plays down on both ends in all the time he played for us. Bass looks awkward when he's on the court and gets lost from time to time; if you have him just spot up to spread the floor and knock down jumpers, you'll be good.

besides energy on the boards thats all boston will ask of bass. and he's better at these things than baby. marginally better, but better.

Raph12
12-10-2011, 12:27 AM
besides energy on the boards thats all boston will ask of bass. and he's better at these things than baby. marginally better, but better.

Better offensive rebounder and shooter, that's it... Baby is more polished, is the better defender and better passer/ballhandler.

If you think Baby makes dumb mistakes, you should see Bass.

Corey
12-10-2011, 12:29 AM
Not a huge deal, but Orlando is receiving Von Wafer as part of this deal.

Corey
12-10-2011, 12:31 AM
If you think Baby makes dumb mistakes, you should see Bass.

Davis took 4.6 shots per game from 16-23 feet, making 35%. Bass took 3.3, making 47%

#CaseClosed

X12Celtics3
12-10-2011, 12:31 AM

Well, to be fair we don't have any proof that he isn't a good passer, either... maybe someday we'll find out ;)

I do think he is a decent defender, though. He certainly wasn't spectacular and his height didn't help, but he did always seem to be hustling and putting effort in on defense which is more than you could say for a lot of guys in the league. Not a great defender, but certainly not a bad one, either.

CityofChaos
12-10-2011, 12:34 AM
A 'meh' trade. You have a wannabe rapper on one hand whose heart isn't the game of basketball or else he wouldn't be just a subpar role player, and on the other hand you have a fat ball hog who takes unnecessary 30 ft jumpshots when he should be setting a screen for a real shooter.

Hustlenomics
12-10-2011, 12:41 AM

the fact that you're writing paragraphs trying to tell me Baby is better after I seen Baby play like worthless trash this whole season is bothering me

Raph12
12-10-2011, 12:49 AM
the fact that you're writing paragraphs trying to tell me Baby is better after I seen Baby play like worthless trash this whole season is bothering me

I'm explaining the facts to you, to tell you the truth, I think it won't make much of a difference for either team... And with the news that Dwight can talk to 3 different teams, I am already losing interest in Magic Basketball.

stawka
12-10-2011, 01:16 AM
Awesome news for the Celtics. They are heavy favorites now without this bum. Meanwhile, Orlando is clearly rebuilding, looking for a lottery pick

majmarcus
12-10-2011, 06:09 AM
Im starting to think ol Otis just dont give a chyt. Dwight's leaving & they're not going anywhere any damn way in terms of competing for a championship...why the h3ll not? Its not like he gets paid commission on making a good trade. So screw it...just blow it up!!!!