PDA

View Full Version : ESPN: Hornets, Lakers, and Rockets appealing NBA's Decision to Veto Trade

JNA17
12-09-2011, 11:06 AM
Its on espn right now. Chris Brussard talking about it now.

tcav701
12-09-2011, 11:14 AM
All the Lakers need to do is take back Odom, add Bynum and take Okafors contract.

The dollars need to match up or it aint happening.

RLundi
12-09-2011, 11:17 AM
Who can they appeal to? Does the NBA have some sort of appeal process? I thought David Stern was god in the NBA. This is news to me.

VCaintdead17
12-09-2011, 11:18 AM
There's nothing to appeal....

Desuetude
12-09-2011, 11:39 AM
Good for them

Angelus™
12-09-2011, 11:44 AM
They cant let this crap stand

ShakeN'Bake
12-09-2011, 11:49 AM
Who exactly are the appealing to?

sep11ie
12-09-2011, 11:50 AM
Well, the owners are fronnting the bill here, but like I said, did they override it when The Hornets traded for Carl Landry this last year?

LakersIn5
12-09-2011, 11:53 AM
lakers got screwed big time because dwight would have been traded to them and a kobe-cp3-dwight big 3 will be playing in LAL :(

i hope the trade still happen

PhillyFaninLA
12-09-2011, 11:55 AM
There's nothing to appeal....

Yes there is.

Anytime a decision is made you can appeal (formally or informally depending on the situation) the decision.

ShakeN'Bake
12-09-2011, 11:55 AM
Not sure how I feel about this...

awesome user name.

WSU Tony
12-09-2011, 11:56 AM
The Laker fans are crying because they might actually need to rebuild like a normal team in the next few years.

Don't try to make trades with teams who are owned by the NBA and you have nothing to worry about. Bottom line, if the OWNERS of that team (NBA owners) don't want to make the trade - then the trade won't be made.

If you owned a team and didn't want to make a trade, wouldn't you be pissed if the trade went though?

ghettosean
12-09-2011, 11:56 AM
They have to appeal this... I think it's crazy that this deal got cancelled...

The hornets would have recieved Odom, Martin, Scola, Dragic and 2 draft picks for Paul. How much better of a deal are you going to get than that it's obvious that this was done to prevent Paul from joining with Dwight in L.A which is total B.S.

This move was not done in the interest of the Hornets franchise or it's fans it was done in the interest of the NBA owners and Stern who didn't want another superteam to form.

You have to feel bad for the New Orleans fans who gets screwed over in this deal as well as L.A who gave up a hell of a lot to try and nab Paul.

nickdymez
12-09-2011, 11:59 AM
People are dumb. Why would the Lakers trade Bynum and Odom for Paul when we all know Paul isnt coming back? I dont understand how Gasol isnt good enough

kblo247
12-09-2011, 12:00 PM
**** gets more intriguing as the NBAPA hasn't signed the actual CBA

Ken Berger: League business can't reopen, and union can't launch any action on Chris Paul's behalf, until deal is signed, source says.

Ken Berger: Billy Hunter and union officials are en route to NBA office for official signing of the CBA, person with knowledge of the plans says

Saying it gets done because They in the NBAPA have that one bargaining chip

WSU Tony
12-09-2011, 12:03 PM
And your the one crying about having to rebuild for a change.

ayuntalo
12-09-2011, 12:09 PM
lakers got screwed big time because dwight would have been traded to them and a kobe-cp3-dwight big 3 will be playing in LAL :(

i hope the trade still happen

yeah because the "SOURCES" said it right?
btw, those "sources" also said, LeBron will be a Knick last year.
T-mac will be on chicago when the lock out ends :rolleyes:

boolish
12-09-2011, 12:19 PM
They are appealing to a committee made up of David Stern Dan Gilbert and Mark Cuban. turn out the lights, the party's over....

papipapsmanny
12-09-2011, 12:46 PM
NBA is just stupid.

GodsSon
12-09-2011, 12:47 PM
Let it happen, the Lakers are worse off after this deal anyway.

dodgersuck
12-09-2011, 01:00 PM
the trade should have been nixed. **** the players association

Odominator
12-09-2011, 01:04 PM
The Laker fans are crying because they might actually need to rebuild like a normal team in the next few years.

Don't try to make trades with teams who are owned by the NBA and you have nothing to worry about. Bottom line, if the OWNERS of that team (NBA owners) don't want to make the trade - then the trade won't be made.

If you owned a team and didn't want to make a trade, wouldn't you be pissed if the trade went though?

What a poor analogy.

In reality, the Hornets acting GM: Dell Demps wanted to make the deal, but had to have the deal rescinded because Stern allowed the majority of the league owners to dictate where CP3 was going, and that was not to a big market team like the Lakers.

gotoHcarolina52
12-09-2011, 01:08 PM
@Mike_Bresnahan

Lakers [and Rockets] can't appeal to NBA office about Chris Paul trade block b/c the league considers the deal to have been nixed by N.O., not the NBA.

J4KOP99
12-09-2011, 01:10 PM
@Mike_Bresnahan

God only knows what this means. There is still a ton of information that needs to come out. Today will be pretty interesting, as you'd imagine that we will hear a lot more about this whole situation.

DMasta718
12-09-2011, 01:12 PM
Man. These last 48 hours has been crazy lol

3mikee_
12-09-2011, 01:14 PM
I think the owners are not letting the trade go through more as a cockblock to LA than because they aren't getting enough for CP3. I mean look at what they got... Kevin Martin.. Scola.. Odom.. That's a ****ing starting lineup right there. Can you honestly tell me another trade that's going to net you 3 starters for a player who is going to be gone in a season?!

I doubt this appeal process is going to have any results. #****TheNBA

beliges
12-09-2011, 02:42 PM

Look you cant hold it against the Lakers just because they are a successfully run franchise. They have always rebuilt their teams like a normal team. They make great draft picks and they use their assets better than any other team through making very successful trades. This deal was a legit trade. Giving up LO and Pau for CP3 was giving away more than fair value for a great player. Except this time, the NBA disallowed the Lakers from pursuing a trade. Whether youre a Laker fan or not, theres no denying that the league overstepped their boundaries here. ANd rest assured, this deal will not go away very easily. Both teams, as well as CP3 will pursue every avenue to appeal and force this deal to go through.

John Walls Era
12-09-2011, 02:43 PM
So are the Rockets going to get Pau to recruit his bro? Its not that amazing for them tbh with you.

leftymo
12-09-2011, 02:46 PM

Lakers fans aren't crying, they've won more championships in the modern era than any other team in basketball and will always be contending. They have rebuilt themselves even with the shaq trade that landed them essentially Gasol, Odom, and Bynum.

Lakers would've saved 21 million dollars by making this trade. They also weaken themselves for this season by making this trade dumping their entire front line. With Dwight already agreed to be going to NJ, the Lakers would've tanked this season to get Paul for the future. Now they remain as a title contender. That's a fact.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
12-09-2011, 02:47 PM
Mike_Bresnahan Mike Bresnahan
Pau Gasol is at training camp, Lamar Odom is not. Also, Lakers do not plan to take legal action against the league.

leftymo
12-09-2011, 02:50 PM
Pau Gasol is at training camp, Lamar Odom is not. Also, Lakers do not plan to take legal action against the league.

Thanks for the update. Chris Paul plans to take legal action, as that nix just cost him 26 million dollars.

jiggin
12-09-2011, 02:54 PM

Thanks for the update. Chris Paul plans to take legal action, as that nix just cost him 26 million dollars.

How did it cost him 26 million? Please explain...

Wade>You
12-09-2011, 02:57 PM
So if the NBA owns the Hornets, how are the Hornets appealing the blocked trade?

This would suggest that the NBA, as the temporary owners, had no voice in the matter of where Paul could be traded.

LakersMaster24
12-09-2011, 02:58 PM
Its alright. The Lakers will be back, we always come back.

Watch out NBA, your darkest days are still ahead of you. This league is a joke now.

beliges
12-09-2011, 03:00 PM
So if the NBA owns the Hornets, how are the Hornets appealing the blocked trade?

This would suggest that the NBA, as the temporary owners, had no voice in the matter of where Paul could be traded.

Again, while the NBA owns the Hornets, they have placed certain individuals in power to run the day to day operations of the NBA. These individuals had the express, implied and apparent authority to negotiate and make deals on behalf of the Hornets. This is what happened. Those placed in charge of making trades agreed to terms with the Lakers. David Stern then voided the deal. The personell in charge of the Hornets agreed to this deal. They can appeal against the NBA, as well as the Lakers and CP3, which is what they are doing at the moment.

Pakman
12-09-2011, 03:04 PM
Howard to the Lakers if the paul deal doesn't get over turned. Bank on it. Lakers will not go silently.

Wade>You
12-09-2011, 03:06 PM
Again, while the NBA owns the Hornets, they have placed certain individuals in power to run the day to day operations of the NBA. These individuals had the express, implied and apparent authority to negotiate and make deals on behalf of the Hornets. This is what happened. Those placed in charge of making trades agreed to terms with the Lakers. David Stern then voided the deal. The personell in charge of the Hornets agreed to this deal. They can appeal against the NBA, as well as the Lakers and CP3, which is what they are doing at the moment.You don't think there's a problem with a league owning a team and a conflict of interest would not arise, though?

lpdunks8
12-09-2011, 03:11 PM
How did it cost him 26 million? Please explain...

He could sign and extentsion with Lakers for 5 years, $100 M (Bird rights). As a FA next year; since he can't be traded, he can only get 5 years, $74 M.

Cali4rnia
12-09-2011, 03:12 PM
Who can they appeal to? Does the NBA have some sort of appeal process? I thought David Stern was god in the NBA. This is news to me.

its a legal issue now. David Stern better hide.

beliges
12-09-2011, 03:13 PM
You don't think there's a problem with a league owning a team and a conflict of interest would not arise, though?

Of course theres a conflict of interest which increases the likelihood that CP3 wins in a legal action. In a corporation, if an agent has the authority to make decisions on behalf of that corporation and actually does so, the CEO of the corporation cannot then void the deal because it becomes binding. This is what happened here. Those with the authority to make a deal agreed to terms. Now, Stern is nixing this deal. If this was a corporation, Stern would have no legal basis for nixing this deal and a court would force the deal to go through. I understand this is not a corporation and Im not exactly sure on how this works in the NBA but it seems that legal action is very likely and the chances are, a court of law will force this deal to go through. But who knows. This entire ordeal is just sad for the league.

Cali4rnia
12-09-2011, 03:14 PM

Watch out NBA, your darkest days are still ahead of you. This league is a joke now.
Chris Paul saga aint over yet lol its just started. Chris Paul is suing the NBA.

Cali4rnia
12-09-2011, 03:16 PM
NBA is turning into a pu$$y league. You cant have hard fouls.. u get ejected even when u react little bit. Now you cant even trade. lol WTF?

airforceones25
12-09-2011, 03:19 PM
Am I the only one who thinks that if this deal goes through then Houston immediately goes after Marc Gasol giving them the Gasol brothers in their front court?

ThunderousDemon
12-09-2011, 03:20 PM

What do the Lakers have to rebuild, they are still a force in the west even without Paul.

Big Time Titan
12-09-2011, 03:25 PM
Am I the only one who thinks that if this deal goes through then Houston immediately goes after Marc Gasol giving them the Gasol brothers in their front court?

Nope. You're not alone in thinking that. And as a Rockets fan, I'd be stoked if we could pull it off.

jammastershake
12-09-2011, 03:31 PM

why don't the lakers try building a team, instead of praying on the weak.

BKLYNpigeon
12-09-2011, 03:32 PM
Lakers dont ever need to really rebuild these days. As long as they have a some cap room, Superstars will always come flocking.

GREATNESS ONE
12-09-2011, 03:33 PM
HAHAHA I love all the lil kids saying "Why don't you rebuild" Watch the NBA for over 20 years then come back and talk youngsters.

GREATNESS ONE
12-09-2011, 03:38 PM

Nope. That's Houston's angle and it makes 100% complete sense. Though signing Marc would still be a chance(Mem can match) but I think they would get it done especially if Pau was to get traded.

fingerbang
12-09-2011, 03:49 PM
why don't the lakers try building a team, instead of praying on the weak.

Derp, they're aiding the weak. CPIII ain't stayin in New Orleans. This trade gives them great value for a rental.

The beauty of free trade is that everyone benefits. The pissy owners that weren't involved vetoed this because they didn't get in on the action. Stern is a joke for vetoing this.

There's no law that says you have to rebuild. Oh yea, the best player on their team came out of their own system.

Anyone that's against this trade is against it strictly because of jealousy.