PDA

View Full Version : 2 Mavs deal should have been nixed as well, what happened Stern?

Wade>You
12-09-2011, 06:13 AM
Keith Van Horn / Devin Harris for Jason Kidd
Following the 2006 NBA season, Keith Van Horn took a year off in order to spend time with his family.[27] On February 19, 2008 Van Horn signed a three-year deal (only the first year guaranteed) with the Mavericks in order to help complete a blockbuster trade that sent Jason Kidd from the New Jersey Nets to the Mavericks and Devin Harris to the Nets.[28] As expected, Van Horn did not play at all for the Nets and was waived on October 23, 2008.[29]http://www.nba.com/2008/news/10/24/102408cutsroundup.ap/index.html?rss=true

http://www.nba.com/nets/news/Harris_trade_release_2_19_08.html

The Peja Stojakovic trade:
http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/nba/news/story?id=6046326

The Mavericks and Raptors maintain that the deals involving Stojakovic and Ajinca were struck independently of each other, but the delay stems from what sources say are protests from a few contending teams that Dallas and Toronto arranged to couple the two transactions to swap Stojakovic for Ajinca, which would not be permissible under league rules. In the event that the league strikes down the proposed trade, Dallas would have to waive a player to create a roster spot for Stojakovic or perhaps find another trade destination for Ajinca.

Wade>You
12-09-2011, 06:15 AM
Both those guys were on the Mavs title team, but the NBA had no problem in helping the Mavs by pass the rules in place.

How much money was Mark Cuban putting in David Stern's pockets to allow him to break the rules without so much as even a repercussion?

What a ridiculous double-standard, the Lakers got royally screwed.

LAOwnsAll15
12-09-2011, 06:23 AM
Didnt even have to look that far back for an obvious example...
What a joke

YoungOne
12-09-2011, 06:25 AM
Stern is able to nix the trade because the NBA owns the Hornets...
thats the problem..

Hellcrooner
12-09-2011, 06:27 AM
Both those guys were on the Mavs title team, but the NBA had no problem in helping the Mavs by pass the rules in place.

How much money was Mark Cuban putting in David Stern's pockets to allow him to break the rules without so much as even a repercussion?

What a ridiculous double-standard, the Lakers got royally screwed.

yeah well, we better not get into Refs and the mavs this Playoffs.

LAOwnsAll15
12-09-2011, 06:28 AM
thats the problem..

The Hornets were winning that trade thru and thru.
You cant use that excuse.

If NBA owners dont want "their" team getting better, isnt that wrong?

YoungOne
12-09-2011, 06:31 AM

thats not an excuse, I'm just stating out the real problem here!
It's just wrong that the NBA can own a franchise!!

TopsyTurvy
12-09-2011, 06:38 AM
thats not an excuse, I'm just stating out the real problem here!
It's just wrong that the NBA can own a franchise!!

The league can own the franchise.

They can even assign a third-party to run the team (which they did).

They CANNOT simply turn around on a whim and say "woah woah woah, you can't do that because we say so," despite everything else being proper.

What's worse is that Stern may have used his powers as commissioner to overturn the trade - instead of ANY action taken on part of the ownership, which is a legal no-no and completely contradictory to everything they set out to do when they assigned the third-party to run the team.

Wade>You
12-09-2011, 06:40 AM
thats the problem..The NBA has repeatedly said that they would not be interfering with the Hornets' basketball operations. And the NBA only nixed the deal because owners started speaking up, most notably Dan Gilbert and Mark Cuban. David Stern cares more about the money and he would've done the deal himself if it meant putting an up-and-coming star in the NBA's biggest market.

YoungOne
12-09-2011, 06:41 AM
well we waited so long for this season and the closer it comes the worse it gets -.-

Wade>You
12-09-2011, 10:23 AM
What gets to me is that Mark Cuban was complaining about the trade.

Of all people, Mark Cuban.

David Stern nor the NBA was nixing deals "for basketball reasons" when the Mavs pulled off these two trades.

Despite the teams, analysts, and fans that felt this was bypassing league rules, these trades were still allowed to pass.

The NBA has a huge conflict of interest problem and it further fuels the speculation that the league has an integrity issue.

tcav701
12-09-2011, 10:34 AM
I think the NBA is in need of a lockout.

Greet
12-09-2011, 10:38 AM

If the Hornets won the trade, why are you complaining?

kntresistheheat
12-09-2011, 10:44 AM
Stern wants to be the big bad wolf well he better get fired! Wade>you submit that to a reporter twitter or something. Let's get this bastard under investigation and get Cuban a nice hefty fine!

justinnum1
12-09-2011, 10:45 AM
thats the problem..

bingo

RipCity32
12-09-2011, 10:46 AM
It sucks but The Hornets is owned by the league the Mavs are not,I don't think you guys understand that Stern cannot just stop trades trades that are happening around the league not involving the Hornets.

tcav701
12-09-2011, 10:50 AM
It sucks but The Hornets is owned by the league the Mavs are not,I don't think you guys understand that Stern cannot just stop trades trades that are happening around the league not involving the Hornets.

People are really having a hard time grasping that.

Its taking most of them months to understand the amnesty rule. Guys take a break from trying to figure out the complexity that is and amnesty cut and try to wrap your head around the perplex concepts of an NBA owned team.

As a team, I am confident that you might be able to grasp it. We know that understanding this is reserved for only the worlds greatest thinkers but I think we can make some strides here.

latinofire21
12-09-2011, 10:55 AM
I actually liked the trade alot but I agree with Stern.

The owners all have to foot the bill for this team until they have an owner. If the owners block the trade for whatever reason they want to come up with its Sterns duty to follow through on it. In the end Owners call the shots on their team. Since each owner owns a piece of the Hornets its viable to allow them to block any trade they want for whatever reason they want.

The only thing thats sticky is that Paul wont get traded anywhere now because all the owners will block each other until he hits free agency.

latinofire21
12-09-2011, 11:00 AM

They werent clear winners either in that trade. They picked up 15 million dollars in payroll. Not only did they give away a solid trade piece they helped unload unwanted salary for the other teams to get better. Thats another reason why I think the Rockets enter the trade talks. So they could free up money to go after NENE.

The owners didnt want to allow the opening for more super teams on their watch, they didnt want to be a salary dump for the Rockets and Lakers, and they want Paul for themselves.

Thats why the deal got nixed.

If you want the deal to go through find an owner to buy the hornets then the league cant say anything.

pacofunk64
12-09-2011, 11:15 AM
Personally I thought it made the Lakers worse. I think Chris Paul is a great player but what has made the Lakers great is the length they had in Odom & Gasol.

Also...does anyone really think Stern would block the trade just to block it? I mean the NBA is at it's best when the Lakers are good.

Miltstar
12-09-2011, 11:23 AM
The real losers in this situation are the players that are involved. How are you supposed to go give your all for a team that basically said they didn't want you anymore?

NYtilIdie
12-09-2011, 11:30 AM
thats the problem..

I don't see why this is so hard to understand.

gatkins11
12-09-2011, 11:36 AM
I don't see why this is so hard to understand.

Me either, this is ridiculous. It's not a hard concept to grasp.

JordansBulls
12-09-2011, 11:41 AM
How many times does it need to be said? The Owners own the Hornets.

thekmp211
12-09-2011, 11:49 AM

it's still a big, big problem regardless of the ownership situation. the trade nix had nothing to do with basketball and everything to do with sending messages. this is a professional sports league not a fantasy football league.

GhostfaceDrilla
12-09-2011, 11:53 AM
It would be a Heat fan to post this...

MrfadeawayJB
12-09-2011, 01:07 PM
The only problem is the NBA owns the hornets. If they did not, and the GM from the Hornets wanted to make that trade, it would happen. However i think since its owned by all teams in the NBA, then all the GM's or owners should be allowed to vote on this. They all own a share of the team. What is everyone so mad about!

Raps18-19 Champ
12-09-2011, 01:08 PM
Why is this still open?