PDA

View Full Version : LAL, NO, HOU: Who got Screwed the Worst?

shep33
12-09-2011, 05:55 AM
Who do you guys think?

Lakers- Not only do they lose an attractive piece in Paul, but they also would've been saving some money. It was a huge risk though, because really no PF's are on the market outside of David West who is likely to get overpaid, even following a severe knee injury. But now, supposedly Odom won't show up to camp, and Gasol is also pissed. Chemistry problems await.

Rockets- Would've cleared some space, and from what I've been reading they were looking at Marc Gasol (if Memphis doesn't match), and Nene to play alongside Pau. That's a deadly frontline right there, and it makes them absolutely huge! I was really excited for that possibility.

Hornets- They basically lost out on the best package they were offered by a long shot. The team that the NBA owns, somehow got screwed the worst IMO out of the 3 teams involved by this trade not going through. Kevin Martin (20ppg scorer), Lamar Odom (6th man of the year), Luis Scola (18ppg), Goran Dragic (quality pg), and a draft pick. The Hornets can now realistically end up with nothing, and CP3 will just walk. On top of this, players won't want to play for a team owned by the league which has problems letting star players go.

Who do you guys think? I say the Hornets...

kyubi256
12-09-2011, 05:58 AM
They all lose but I think the Lakers got screwed the worst. Now they have to take back Odom and Pau, who know that they were about to get dealt like that.

LAOwnsAll15
12-09-2011, 06:01 AM
I would say NOH, if they didnt actually encourage being screwed....?

OBV the Lakers lost out on CP3, and now have to deal with 2 upset 7 footers.
But in terms of value it has to be the NOH, but the NBA clearly doesnt care if that team sucks.

shep33
12-09-2011, 06:01 AM
They all lose but I think the Lakers got screwed the worst. Now they have to take back Odom and Pau, who know that they were about to get dealt like that.

It's funny because they do all lose, and they all probably would've won with their respective trades. We can even argue the Lakers get the crappiest deal of all 3 teams.

I guess the point is, it would've helped all 3 teams in whatever they were doing. So why it got cancelled is ridiculous.

I said Hornets because they won't get anything close to that offer anymore.

Hellcrooner
12-09-2011, 06:12 AM
all of them

DitchDat
12-09-2011, 06:15 AM
Hornets got screwed the worst.

They could have had Scola, Odom & Kevin Martin. If CP3 leaves via free agency, they wil get nothing.

AWC713
12-09-2011, 06:17 AM
i don't think lakers got that much better with the deal. their starting pf would have been derrick character, and bynum is no shoe in to stay healthy.

the hornets got a decent return, but they still wouldn't field a playoff team. they could have moved those pieces to contenders to upstart rebuilding.

and the rockets look to get the worst when you figure they just get gasol. but they would have been a shoe in for nene. bring patrick patterson off the bench and thats a big front line.

TopsyTurvy
12-09-2011, 06:21 AM
Easily the Hornets. Their entire front office has been castrated. A "good" deal has fallen through and may never be revisited again. You now have a pseudo-GM and staff who cannot do ANYTHING with their assets without seeking league approval and the untenable situation of decreasing leverage to secure any sort of return. The Lakers deal may have represented a "best case" scenario for a team running out of options. The team has immediate chemistry problems and to top it all off, CP3 may opt out and the team may never receive compensation at all.

Not too bad for one of the teams that was the prime reason the lockout occurred. If the owners association thought NO was a black hole before, wait until they see what happens if Paul leaves the team for nothing.

Law25
12-09-2011, 06:24 AM
It's funny because they do all lose, and they all probably would've won with their respective trades. We can even argue the Lakers get the crappiest deal of all 3 teams.
I guess the point is, it would've helped all 3 teams in whatever they were doing. So why it got cancelled is ridiculous.

I said Hornets because they won't get anything close to that offer anymore.

This I agee with. Didnt like the way it was killed but glad it happened. Now if we can just make a mends with our pissed off big men

Ecko72jc
12-09-2011, 06:25 AM
Lakers as Howard was on their doorstep.

Cano-Montero...
12-09-2011, 06:31 AM
Lakers as Howard was on their doorstep.

Really? you believe that crap about howard for Bynum, walton and blake?

that would have never happen... What I heard is that the lakers had another possible deal for a PF if they lose both their PF/...

As for who got screwed the worst.. Of course NO..

shep33
12-09-2011, 06:33 AM
Supposedly CP3 doesn't want to return to the Hornets under these conditions says Stephen A... and he is seeking legal action. And I think the point here is not even having Paul win the trial, but to just atleast get to a trial, even if he loses, the NBA is going to look horrible, more so than it already does.

Anilyzer
12-09-2011, 06:35 AM
Who do you guys think?

Lakers- Not only do they lose an attractive piece in Paul, but they also would've been saving some money. It was a huge risk though, because really no PF's are on the market outside of David West who is likely to get overpaid, even following a severe knee injury. But now, supposedly Odom won't show up to camp, and Gasol is also pissed. Chemistry problems await.

Rockets- Would've cleared some space, and from what I've been reading they were looking at Marc Gasol (if Memphis doesn't match), and Nene to play alongside Pau. That's a deadly frontline right there, and it makes them absolutely huge! I was really excited for that possibility.

Hornets- They basically lost out on the best package they were offered by a long shot. The team that the NBA owns, somehow got screwed the worst IMO out of the 3 teams involved by this trade not going through. Kevin Martin (20ppg scorer), Lamar Odom (6th man of the year), Luis Scola (18ppg), Goran Dragic (quality pg), and a draft pick. The Hornets can now realistically end up with nothing, and CP3 will just walk. On top of this, players won't want to play for a team owned by the league which has problems letting star players go.

I want to vote for all three teams. But you've convinced me it is the Hornets who lose the most by "The Veto" (I guess after all the league drama over "The Decision" and the failed lockout the only way for the league to get power back is by "The Veto").

Lakers are really questionable on this deal, and it may even be a case of Jim Buss trying to take power too much, bringing in another Kobe-type player while dumping the consensus All 1st team NBA power forward Gasol + Odom, and so ending up with Bynum + CP3 + Kobe --- two guys who've had knee surgeries (Bynum and CP3) and one guy who is in the twilight of his prime (Kobe, although he is still top 3 in the league if not #1 when it comes down to the clutch).

So yeah... maybe Stern is doing the Lakers a favor right here, especially if Dwight is going to Brooklyn

Hellcrooner
12-09-2011, 06:36 AM
btw i was wondering what was Rockets REAL PLAN.

Keep pau and try to sign nene or marc.

OR, TRADE GASOL LATER for expirings, good picks and youngsters and rebuild from 0 with almost NO SALARYS .

shep33
12-09-2011, 06:39 AM

OR, TRADE GASOL LATER for expirings, good picks and youngsters and rebuild from 0 with almost NO SALARYS .

I really think they would go after Marc, the marketing for the brothers would be awesome in Houston, and they play so well together. Nene would be great too, that would be a dynamic frontcourt right there.

Raps18-19 Champ
12-09-2011, 06:41 AM
Who do you guys think?

That deal wasn't really that great for the Hornets.

They get nothing for Paul in the long run and those guys aren't talented enough to bring the Hornets to the playoffs anytime soon.

Stern, while what he did technically isn't fair, saved the Hornets.

Cano-Montero...
12-09-2011, 06:46 AM

I think Trade gasol later...

whey dont the Rockets just amnesty scola...he has a fat *** contract..

AddiX
12-09-2011, 06:48 AM
Every team got screwed, here's why.

1. They all tried to trade players who are still on the roster. "hey mr. Odom, were excited to have you back in a uniform!" yeah that's not awkward.

2. NO especially gets screwed. How can stern allow a trade now? He can say no to the Lakers but yes to what team? By killing the deal he essentially is saying Paul won't get traded, which means NO will end up with nothing. Paul won't get his extra year, amd NO has been spending all this time trying to make a deal for nothing.

3. Future free agents, this essentially ends contract players demanding where they can go.

This is a huge game changer for the NBA, I really don't understand how stern can do this and what it means for the future. Stern is essentially saying, " I choose where players can play, and there is no real rules to it"

Wade>You
12-09-2011, 06:49 AM
The only reason the deal didn't go through was because the Lakers were involved, so I'd say they got hosed the worst. A victim of their own success.

shep33
12-09-2011, 06:56 AM
The only reason the deal didn't go through was because the Lakers were involved, so I'd say they got hosed the worst. A victim of their own success.

I agree with you on that, if it was any other team this would've went through. And really that makes no sense for the NBA to do. Basically only certain teams are allowed to trade now lol.

Raps18-19 Champ
12-09-2011, 06:58 AM
:laugh2:

At least they are being consistent by not wanting stars to go team up with other stars.

Supa
12-09-2011, 07:33 AM
This block is targeted toward the Lakers, but the Hornets probably got the worst fallout.

Can't wait to hear Stern's mysterious "basketball reasons", which he is probably composing right now.

---

Dolfan305
12-09-2011, 08:30 AM
Hornets, by far, not even close. Chris Paul would have been nice for the Lakers but they would have lost two allstar caliber PFs and their strength as a front line would be gone. As for the Hornets they could have gotten Kevin Martin, Lamar Odom, and Luis Scola. Now Chris Paul might walk away in free agency for nothing.

DR_1
12-09-2011, 08:34 AM
Hornets easily

$KnicksAndKobe$
12-09-2011, 08:48 AM
Every team got screwed, here's why.

1. They all tried to trade players who are still on the roster. "hey mr. Odom, were excited to have you back in a uniform!" yeah that's not awkward.

2. NO especially gets screwed. How can stern allow a trade now? He can say no to the Lakers but yes to what team? By killing the deal he essentially is saying Paul won't get traded, which means NO will end up with nothing. Paul won't get his extra year, amd NO has been spending all this time trying to make a deal for nothing.

3. Future free agents, this essentially ends contract players demanding where they can go.

This is a huge game changer for the NBA, I really don't understand how stern can do this and what it means for the future. Stern is essentially saying, " I choose where players can play, and there is no real rules to it"

What happened recently is only associated in the case of a trade with the Hornets. The Hornets are owned by the NBA and therefore had the means to do what they did.

xnick5757
12-09-2011, 08:53 AM
What happened recently is only associated in the case of a trade with the Hornets. The Hornets are owned by the NBA and therefore had the means to do what they did.

yup. this is what everyone complaining doesn't understand. Stern is, in essence, the head of the Hornets. And the other owners are the board of directors. They have the power to decide - THEY OWN THE TEAM

Bruno
12-09-2011, 08:53 AM
Hornets got screwed the worst.

They could have had Scola, Odom & Kevin Martin. If CP3 leaves via free agency, they wil get nothing.

x2.

DJYankee
12-09-2011, 09:06 AM
Obviously the Hornets got screwed.

PrettyBoyJ
12-09-2011, 09:13 AM
Hornets got screwed they could have remained some what relevant with the pieces they had and rebuilding wouldn't be as hard as it would have been. Now they gotta go the drawing board.

pebloemer
12-09-2011, 09:27 AM
Well they all got screwed. It was actually a pretty good deal for all parties involved. Everyone got what they wanted. But the Hornets stand the most to lose by the deal not going through. If Paul leaves in FA for nothing, Hornets lose Scola, Martin, Odom, Dragic and a pick. That's a pretty solid haul for an expiring Paul.

This whole thing is stupid. Owners nix the deal to flex their muscles and make a statement. Paul threatens legal action because he can't go where he wants to go with the salary he deserves. It's all just stupid...

Fans also lose too. Why don't they stayed locked out and figure out their ****? I feel like I'm still watching an episode of Jerry Springer.

69centers
12-09-2011, 09:30 AM
They should have taken the Celtics' offer.

pebloemer
12-09-2011, 09:36 AM
They should have taken the Celtics' offer.

For some reason I think it would have had the same result. The group of owners that intervened clearly have an agenda. I don't think a trade to the other winningest franchise in the league makes any difference in their thoughts.

Gilbert and his pals and LeBron and his pals all need to have a nice sit down with Dr. Phil. This should have been a condition in the new CBA!

maddBat
12-09-2011, 09:38 AM
hornets. cp3 def doesnt wanna b a hornet n e more.

Cano-Montero...
12-09-2011, 10:25 AM
yup. this is what everyone complaining doesn't understand. Stern is, in essence, the head of the Hornets. And the other owners are the board of directors. They have the power to decide - THEY OWN THE TEAM

Then why in the world would you let your gm negotiate if you dont want to deal..Hell Inform any team you dont want to deal to in the 1st place..?

Following the NBA's decision to kill his trade of Chris Paul, Dell Demps considered stepping down from his job on Thursday as GM of the Hornets, league sources said, but was talked out of it.

Demps made a trade that was lauded by some of his peers throughout the league.

Officials involved in the trade talks said the league office was consulted throughout the negotiations, and there was never an indication Demps didn’t have the power to make a deal.

Several teams negotiating with New Orleans to get Paul asked the league office, and were told Demps had full authority to execute a trade.

But David Stern listened to enraged owners on Thursday insist this trade went against everything the lockout was intended to fix.

As one rival executive with strong ties to the league office said, “Stern cared about two things: Selling that franchise for the best possible price; and showing the players that they weren’t going to dictate where teams could trade them. But now, there’s no way that the league can allow Chris Paul to be traded at all, otherwise Stern is basically deciding where one of the top players in the league is going versus having any fair process.”

The Lakers were going to send Pau Gasol and Lamar Odom in exchange for Paul, while the Rockets were also involved by sending Kevin Martin, Luis Scola, Goran Dragic and a first round pick.

“We were all told by the league he was a trade-able player, and now they’re saying that Dell doesn’t have the authority to make the trade?” said an NBA executive who had periodic talks with New Orleans throughout the process. “Now, they’re saying that Dell is an idiot, that he can’t do it his job. [Expletive] this whole thing. David’s drunk on power, and he doesn’t give a [expletive] about the players, and he doesn’t give a [expletive] about the hundreds of hours the teams put into make that deal.

“To me, this makes the league feel like it’s rigged, that Stern just does whatever Stern wants to do. He’s messed up the competitive balance of this league a lot worse by killing the deal, because you’ve completely destroyed the planning that New Orleans, Houston did and left them in shambles over this. I’ve never been so discouraged about this league, never so down.

“I mean, come on: Chris Paul is leaving New Orleans in 66 games. He’s gone. And what’s Dell Demps, and that franchise, going to have to show for it?”

LOL

ellisgw
12-09-2011, 11:12 AM
anyone who thinks rockets trade was good should should quit watching basketball. hornets trade also was bad. you get solid players who dont want to be their and you come a tiny bit better that leads you to nowhere. what is point on taking on these salaries, when they not going lead to you playoffs and will not get top draft picks if you trade them later on. Hornets needs young prospects with potential and good drafts picks. If you dont get paul, just let him walk. You save a lot of money to sign FA and you get the lottery. that is not bad relative to the trade.

JJ_JKidd
12-09-2011, 11:26 AM
Mavs. Cuban decided not to re-sign impt pieces to make a run for who? D12 will probably go to NJ, so does he still expect D-Will not to re-sign? Smh

dhopisthename
12-09-2011, 11:30 AM
For some reason I think it would have had the same result. The group of owners that intervened clearly have an agenda. I don't think a trade to the other winningest franchise in the league makes any difference in their thoughts.

Gilbert and his pals and LeBron and his pals all need to have a nice sit down with Dr. Phil. This should have been a condition in the new CBA!

you realize that they would have had no way to block a trade from w teams that both have owners?

justinnum1
12-09-2011, 11:32 AM
Mavs. Cuban decided not to re-sign impt pieces to make a run for who? D12 will probably go to NJ, so does he still expect D-Will not to re-sign? Smh

I was just going to say...now what is cuban going to do?

Shmontaine
12-09-2011, 11:36 AM
NO lost the out the most, because they gained the most, which is why the deal was voided...

the owners don't want to be forced to support a team that is making strong moves and incurring more costs without their say so... so, the owners got their say so...

JJ_JKidd
12-09-2011, 11:46 AM
I was just going to say...now what is cuban going to do?

He will be up to something. An owner of his caliber wont just stand pat. However, if NY acquires Chandler, CP would want to join him there and Cuban will for sure look like an idiot. All that cost-cutting for NOTHING!

pebloemer
12-09-2011, 12:26 PM
you realize that they would have had no way to block a trade from w teams that both have owners?

We are talking about a NO trade with Lakers vs a NO trade with the Celtics. Are you saying in a NO trade with the Celtics, the league can't block it because both teams have owners? You aren't making sense to me at all...

ChitownSports16
12-09-2011, 12:31 PM
Hornets for sure... But, if none of this happened and trade went down the Rockets would have gotton raped!!!

kblo247
12-09-2011, 12:36 PM
NOLA - If the NBA doesn't reverse the decision which the teams, CAA, and NBAPA are pushing for them to do the fact is the teams and PA have argued Paul can't be traded at all, which makes it messy and even messier if he stays and walks

RC3
12-09-2011, 12:37 PM
Hornets got no lottery picks . Liars, hypocrites . They got Luis scola who is overrated and Kevin Martin who makes a lot of money. Luis scola is probably in his 30's. That's not young. They should just gotten gasol. They got the worst of the deal since they only got above average players and not potential all stars.

Vincent33
12-09-2011, 12:41 PM
They all got screwed, but no way does New Orleans get a better haul for Chris Paul. Odom, Scola, Martin, Dragic and a draft pick? Great move for the Hornets...sucks for the owner of that doomed team...oh wait.