PDA

View Full Version : The Knicks can still acquire Paul; new CBA allows restructuring

NYSpirit1
12-09-2011, 01:24 AM
Much like the NFL, the new CBA allows players to restructure their contracts. Although the NBA is under a storm right now -- they made Paul to the Knicks all that more realistic.

If the Lakers are out of it and Paul really will become a FA, one can only assume the Lakers will steer their focus to Howard and the Magic, a non-NBA owned team and a deal impossible for them to reject.

But the point of this thread is that the new rule allows players to restructure their deal up to 40%.. meaning even with the signing of Tyson Chandler, Amare and Melo can restructure their deals so all three (Amare, Melo, Paul) can make 15 million next year.

Considering the events that have went down, I see this becoming increasingly likely. And to clarify for everyone else, I mean Paul signing with the Knicks as a free agent, not trading for him.

If the league wants Paul on the Hornets "indefinitely", that effectively means he'll be a free agent.

Melo and Amare at $15 million, Tyson at $13-14 million, leaves $15 million for Paul. And keep this in mind, here's the selling point of this:

Melo and Amare only have to give up $4 million each for this to happen. They can just restructure the first year of their deal and keep the amounts for the rest of the remaining 3 years.

And to those of you asking why Melo and Amare would give up money for Paul to come. It's $4 million each. That's pennies to them. And Paul along with Melo, Amare and Chandler would all but guarantee multiple championships.

Toxeryll
12-09-2011, 01:27 AM
they got nothing

LAOwnsAll15
12-09-2011, 01:28 AM
What will they give up?
Physical Pieces of hardwood off the MSG?!

bholly
Much like the NFL, the new CBA allows players to restructure their contracts. Although the NBA is under a storm right now -- they made Paul to the Knicks all that more realistic.

If the Lakers are out of it and Paul really will become a FA, one can only assume the Lakers will steer their focus to Howard and the Magic, a non-NBA owned team and a deal impossible for them to reject.

But the point of this thread is that the new rule allows players to restructure their deal up to 40%.. meaning even with the signing of Tyson Chandler, Amare and Melo can restructure their deals so all three (Amare, Melo, Paul) can make 15 million next year.

Considering the events that have went down, I see this becoming increasingly likely.

There's a surprise.

Ripper Gein
Oh gawd it starts anew, IF THE NBA DIDNT ALLOW THE LAKERS TO GET CP3 HOW THE **** WILL IT LOOK IF HE'S ALLOWED TO GO TO THE knicks!!?

WadeKobe
12-09-2011, 01:30 AM
Oh gawd it starts anew, IF THE NBA DIDNT ALLOW THE LAKERS TO GET CP3 HOW THE **** WILL IT LOOK IF HE'S ALLOWED TO GO TO THE knicks!!?

x2

This is the stupidest thread ever created. :pity:

CP3 will end up in LA.

THE MTL
12-09-2011, 01:30 AM

Considering the events that have went down, I see this becoming increasingly likely.

Melo and Amare both restructuring deals.....iono NBA might block this too. LMFAO!

McPeak92
12-09-2011, 01:32 AM
And players would restructure because..........

WadeKobe

What exactly about either of those players' character would make you think they'd do such a thing?

(1) Amar'e wouldn't sign a contract that wasn't (a) for the max and (b) 100% guaranteed. "I don't want no NFL contract". :facepalm:

(2) Melo *****ed and moaned instead of playing out his contract, until Denver traded him to the team he wanted to play for.

What about those two makes you think they're the kind of people to give up money to win? What about this process in NY has resembled the sacrifice that has taken place in Miami?

BigCityofDreams
x2

This is the stupidest thread ever created. :pity:

CP3 will end up in LA.

After what happened that's unlikely

showtym24
Wont happen. CP3 has to be a buck, pacer, hornet or grizzly.

LAOwnsAll15
12-09-2011, 01:34 AM

Tell that to CP3

knicks=love
12-09-2011, 01:36 AM
hmmm pretty sure i just said this in another thread and got *****ed at because "there was no way". i'll take an apology now, fellas..

Ripper Gein
12-09-2011, 01:39 AM
I apologize to the Knicks and yourself for your stupidity...

BALLER R
12-09-2011, 01:43 AM

or a raptor. But then they would block that too and say stars aren't allowed to play in Canada

knicks=love
12-09-2011, 01:44 AM
I apologize to the Knicks and yourself for your stupidity...

don't be jealous.

Ripper Gein
12-09-2011, 01:45 AM
I'm a Lakers fan we are jealous of No One:)

SportsAndrew25
12-09-2011, 01:47 AM
This is great news. We have the welcome mat ready for him.

utl768
12-09-2011, 01:52 AM
paul aint going to ny

they have nothing to trade

Evolution23
12-09-2011, 01:54 AM
Free agency!

believeinNYK
12-09-2011, 02:01 AM
I would literally die if that happened but really if that's totally possible then I hope our front office knows it and stat andmelo are willing

AntiG
12-09-2011, 02:22 AM
the Knicks have nothing to trade other than Melo or Amare. Not happening.

goNYgoNYgo
12-09-2011, 02:33 AM

Considering the events that have went down, I see this becoming increasingly likely. And to clarify for everyone else, I mean Paul signing with the Knicks as a free agent, not trading for him.

If the league wants Paul on the Hornets "indefinitely", that effectively means he'll be a free agent.

Melo and Amare at $15 million, Tyson at $13-14 million, leaves $15 million for Paul. And keep this in mind, here's the selling point of this:

Melo and Amare only have to give up $4 million each for this to happen. They can just restructure the first year of their deal and keep the amounts for the rest of the remaining 3 years.

And to those of you asking why Melo and Amare would give up money for Paul to come. It's $4 million each. That's pennies to them. And Paul along with Melo, Amare and Chandler would all but guarantee multiple championships.

r u saying not get $4m this year, but eventaully get it with higher yearly salary increases, or they will just get 15m w/ the normal amt increase.....b/c that is not happening. thats 20-25 million each guaranteed money that they will not be getting over the next 5 years.

RevisIsland
12-09-2011, 02:50 AM
I could see them restructuring to give up a bit for a decent player but not enough for a star.

Sadds The Gr8
12-09-2011, 03:38 AM
He's not going to NY. Deal with it.

Cal827
12-09-2011, 03:41 AM
Well with all of the issues for trading, Pacers going hard this offseason, Knicks getting Chandler and the Nets getting Howard, it's official... He's a Raptor next year :dance:

lol... watch the Heat all restructure their contracts to get him.

Miami Heat
12-09-2011, 03:43 AM
Amare/Melo/Chandler are all greedy...they won't take less money lol

-Kobe24-TJ19-
12-09-2011, 09:38 AM
lol stat and melo are money whores

RLundi
12-09-2011, 09:43 AM
That would be the biggest F-U to the Lakers if this happened. Normally I'd be all for it, but it really sends an unfair message and sets a dangerous precedent.

Chris Paul should just decide where he wants to go in free agency next year.

SteBO
12-09-2011, 09:47 AM
Sorry OP, but I see in no way Melo and Amare restructuring their contracts.....If they do, then congratulations Knicks fans...

nycericanguy
12-09-2011, 09:51 AM
Not sure if its possible, I could see them giving up $4m each for ONE year, but if it means giving that up every year of the contract then I don't see that happening.

Pierzynski4Prez
12-09-2011, 09:59 AM
hmmm pretty sure i just said this in another thread and got *****ed at because "there was no way". i'll take an apology now, fellas..

what because another NYer brings it up it means its going to happen?

tcav701
12-09-2011, 10:00 AM
What a pipe dream this is.

latinofire21
12-09-2011, 10:04 AM
Good Point NYSPIRIT.

To the people calling this guy stupid you didnt read his thread or simply dont understand what hes implying.

The NBA cannot block free agency. (All the people stupid enough to keep saying they dont have trade pieces. You dont need them for free agency)

Hornets new stand is that he is not being traded as per the league office. As long as that is the New Orleans new stand then the Knicks are on the same level as the rest of the competition for his services.

The one thing I am unsure of is whether its going to be the first year that needs restructuring since Dolan has no problem paying the luxury tax for the rest of the duration of the contract.

I believe its just for the first year and if it is with the amount of colluding going on in the NBA today do you really think Chris Pauls Buddies wouldnt restructure money they can easily recoup in bigger endorsement deals having Paul around?

A certified dynasty is bound to bring way more money there way then an extremely competitive trio. I am sure CAA would also be pushing their client to take this route as well since it means more money in their pockets as well.

Although I still think this is stretched its fair to assume the Knicks will be in play to make a move for Paul if he hits free agency, especially if he hits free agency as a Hornet.

knicks=love
12-09-2011, 10:05 AM
what because another NYer brings it up it means its going to happen?

no because i talked about this in a different thread and everyone called me an idiot, and stupid and bashed me because i didn't know what i was talking about. i know what i'm ****ing talking about.

daleja424
12-09-2011, 10:09 AM
until I see this in writing from Larry Coon or another cba expert I am going to assume that this is complete an utter crap. I cant see why the league or player association would allow have allowed this to become part of the deal. I am going to assume that whoever you got this from misunderstood what they read until I hear it from a reputable cba source.

latinofire21
12-09-2011, 10:09 AM
no because i talked about this in a different thread and everyone called me an idiot, and stupid and bashed me because i didn't know what i was talking about. i know what i'm ****ing talking about.

I saw what you wrote but I am unfamiliar with cap rules so I wanted someone to confirm it was a legitimate route before I congratulated you on your great idea. Congratulations

daleja424
12-09-2011, 10:13 AM

provide a source that actually knows what they are talking about...and people will believe you.

This thread should be closed until it can be adequately sourced.

latinofire21
12-09-2011, 10:15 AM
provide a source that actually knows what they are talking about...and people will believe you.

Dont crap on his parade. Its a good point and I think your wrong on closing the thread. Any thread that discusses the new CBA is a thread worth keeping open to inform the posters. If we close every thread that doesnt have a source then there would be no Polls, no redrafts, no opinions ect.

Slow down there Killer and let the thread live.

tcav701
12-09-2011, 10:16 AM
Why keep threads people are interested in open?

latinofire21
12-09-2011, 10:17 AM

Heres your source smart guy

Contracts and player salaries

• A new "renegotiation and extension" provision allows an existing contract to be renegotiated so the player is paid a smaller amount over a longer period, but the player's salary cannot decrease by more than 40 percent. Renegotiations previously could only increase a player's salary.

• The sides previously agreed to what has been nicknamed the "Derrick Rose Rule," which allows franchise-level players to receive a higher maximum salary (30 percent of the cap instead of 25 percent) starting in their fifth year. Hunter's latest memo further specifies that these contracts must be at least four years in length.

• Signing bonuses have been reduced slightly. The previous CBA allowed signing bonuses of 17.5 percent in offer sheets to restricted free agents or 20 percent in other contracts. The limits are now 10 percent and 15 percent, respectively, as per Wednesday's term sheet.

• Bonuses have always been classified as either "likely" or "unlikely," depending on whether the player met the bonus criteria in the previous season and with unlikely bonuses not counting against the team's salary cap. In the previous CBA, unlikely bonuses were limited to 25 percent of the player's base salary. In Hunter's memo, this limit is reduced to 15 percent.

• The sides agreed Nov. 26 to freeze the minimum salary scale and the rookie salary scale at or near their 2010-11 levels until they are reduced by 12 percent in relation to the increases in the overall system. In Hunter's memo these scales begin to increase in 2013-14.

• Teams were previously allowed to pay players over either six or 12 months. An 18-month pay schedule will be allowed now if the deal is ratified.

• Under the previous CBA, players could receive up to 80 percent of their annual salary in advance (prior to Oct. 1). Per Hunter's memo, this percentage has been reduced to 50 percent.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/7329408/new-items-added-nba-collective-bargaining-agreement

BK-TY
12-09-2011, 10:18 AM
This was from an article on ESPN.com yesterday explaining the new restructuring provision. The rule doesn't allow you to reduce the base amount of the contract it. It allows teams to EXTEND the term or stretch out the payout over more years to reduce the yearly salary, and thus, the cap hit. I can't find the article but here's a quote someone put on FB...

"• A new "renegotiation and extension" provision allows an existing contract to be renegotiated so the player is paid a smaller amount over a longer period, but the player's salary cannot decrease by more than 40 percent. Renegotiations previously could only increase a player's salary."

Celticsfan2007
12-09-2011, 10:21 AM

Are you serious? Its been all over the news with CBA. Stay up to date with shyt or GTFO!

Pierzynski4Prez
12-09-2011, 10:29 AM
We understand the CBA allows this.

What everybody is saying is that we'll believe Melo and/or Amare will restructure when it actually happens. They very much don't seem like the type to do that is all everybody else is saying.

That's like me saying the Bulls are going to have a lot more cap space because "I know deep down" boozer and Deng will re-structure their contracts.

LongIslandIcedZ
12-09-2011, 10:30 AM
And players would restructure because..........

The same reason the Heat trio took less money, to compete.

Although this isnt gonna happen.

latinofire21
12-09-2011, 10:32 AM
We understand the CBA allows this.

What everybody is saying is that we'll believe Melo and/or Amare will restructure when it actually happens. They very much don't seem like the type to do that is all everybody else is saying.

That's like me saying the Bulls are going to have a lot more cap space because "I know deep down" boozer and Deng will re-structure their contracts.

All he is saying is that its possible to stay in the Chris Paul race. He didnt say its going to happen.

Pierzynski4Prez
12-09-2011, 10:34 AM
All he is saying is that its possible to stay in the Chris Paul race. He didnt say its going to happen.

All I'm saying is so can every other team. This rule doesn't only apply to NY. And apparently he's willing to go to more than just NY. And Amare and Melo are hardly the type to do something like this.

latinofire21
12-09-2011, 10:42 AM
All I'm saying is so can every other team. This rule doesn't only apply to NY. And apparently he's willing to go to more than just NY. And Amare and Melo are hardly the type to do something like this.

Do you know Amare and Melo? Are you a hidden source?

What we do know is that he was willing to sign an extension with only LA Lakers and NY Knicks. Where are these other teams you speak of. Boston was willing to roll the dice with Paul saying he WOULDNT extend. La Clippers and Golden State wouldnt give Gordon or Curry because he WOULDNT extend.

If he hits Free Agency do you really think there is a team that has a shot to sign him other then the Lakers or the Knicks?

I understand you wanting him not to go to NYK as much as I want him to go to NYK but please put up a logical arguement. Things change day to day but until there is a report saying there is another location Paul would like to sign to then your really just arguing blind here.

daleja424
12-09-2011, 10:44 AM
Are you serious? Its been all over the news with CBA. Stay up to date with shyt or GTFO!

I have heard this from a couple places... but as I indicated I need Larry Coons breakdown and analysis before I jump on the possible implcations of this rule.

I dont think a two sentence snippet adequately explains the new provision... do you?

LongIslandIcedZ
12-09-2011, 10:45 AM

It's a little different for most other teams, there hasnt been rumors of Chris Paul going to every other team. I agree that Melo and Amar'e dont seem the type to give up money, but to say there is a chance that every other team can do this to get Paul is laughable. Are they allowed to do it? Sure. Will they do it? No, because it appears CP3 only wants to go to like 4 teams.

Chronz
12-09-2011, 01:15 PM
Forget the thread title, focus on the information. This is huge, restructuring contracts makes it easier for big markets to attract star players, another win for the NBA.

LongIslandIcedZ
12-09-2011, 01:19 PM
Forget the thread title, focus on the information. This is huge, restructuring contracts makes it easier for big markets to attract star players, another win for the NBA.

This. If the Heat trio are willing take bigger paycuts maybe they could get another superstar lol

beasted86
12-09-2011, 01:22 PM
Last I checked restructuring was in the last CBA.

We need actual details from Larry Coon or somebody reputable to see exactly how, if any, the restructuring rules have changed.

Aust
12-09-2011, 01:29 PM
:facepalm:

This actually makes perfect sense. Lakers have some decisions to make..

Pierzynski4Prez
Do you know Amare and Melo? Are you a hidden source?

What we do know is that he was willing to sign an extension with only LA Lakers and NY Knicks. Where are these other teams you speak of. Boston was willing to roll the dice with Paul saying he WOULDNT extend. La Clippers and Golden State wouldnt give Gordon or Curry because he WOULDNT extend.

If he hits Free Agency do you really think there is a team that has a shot to sign him other then the Lakers or the Knicks?

I understand you wanting him not to go to NYK as much as I want him to go to NYK but please put up a logical arguement. Things change day to day but until there is a report saying there is another location Paul would like to sign to then your really just arguing blind here.

Goes both ways my friend. You know that they'll restructure just as much as I know they won't. According to the post above me, it was allowed in the last CBA. How many times have we seen it happen? In any sport? In any profession? The fact is that 99% of the time it comes down to money for these athletes, and to think they're just going to give up millions upon millions is ridiculous. Which is why in the long run CP3 will most likely settle for somebody other than Lakers or NY. As of right now, his 2012 Free Agency destinations DO NOT include NY or LA, and that is the bottom line.

daleja424

We need actual details from Larry Coon or somebody reputable to see exactly how, if any, the restructuring rules have changed.

my point exactly. without a full breakdown of the rules and implications this thread seems immensely premature.

LongIslandIcedZ
12-09-2011, 01:35 PM
Goes both ways my friend. You know that they'll restructure just as much as I know they won't. According to the post above me, it was allowed in the last CBA. How many times have we seen it happen? In any sport? In any profession? The fact is that 99% of the time it comes down to money for these athletes, and to think they're just going to give up millions upon millions is ridiculous. Which is why in the long run CP3 will most likely settle for somebody other than Lakers or NY. As of right now, his 2012 Free Agency destinations DO NOT include NY or LA, and that is the bottom line.

It happens in the NFL all the time.

Some reporter on ESPN NY right now is saying the Knicks can absolutely restructure in the offseason in order to resign Chris Paul. Doubt it will happen but interesting to hear a beat writer talk about it.

Chronz
12-09-2011, 01:37 PM

Who has restructured their contract, ever?

daleja424
12-09-2011, 01:40 PM
Thats kinda the point Chronz. It is not something that has really ever come into play before. I need to hear more from Coon about the rule b4 I am willing to comment on the topic of this thread.

Chronz
12-09-2011, 01:43 PM
It hasnt come into play because it cant, if players knew they could start making what they deserved (like stars on a rookie scale or the rare case of someone outlasting their MLE worth) they would hold out for more money like they do in the NFL.

If you can restructure contracts why havent teams volunteer to give a player a raise all for the sake of fitting a player into a trade? Why wouldnt a team give a guy a small incrimental raise just to fit under the rules? It makes no sense and Ive never heard of it being possible.

Remember when KG was making a **** load of money but never winning, he took a paycut so the team could bring in more help but he could only do that once his contract was over. Why would he wait so long if it wasnt necessary ? Duncan has done the same but only when his contract was done.

Im just asking for 1 example.

JC3akaMrESPN
12-11-2011, 05:13 AM
I really had to make an account just to answer some of the dumbass statements you guys made on here.
1.) This guy is talking about Paul being acquired in the OFFSEASON as a FREE AGENT, never did he say anything about him being traded to the Knicks. So the whole L.A vs. Stern scenario......that does not apply here and if it truly was for BASKETBALL REASONS, stern can't dictate where a player goes when he is a free agent so....simmer down on that one.
2.) You guys are extremely ignorant because Amare and Carmelo along with Paul are two of the most giving players in the league, they aren't as self centered as you all think. They just come from teams and past experiences where if THEY THEMSELVES did not produce offensively....then the team would lose. More so in Melo's (I would know im a Nuggets fan in NJ) situation than in Amare's. If they're as serious about constructing a CHAMPIONSHIP TEAM as they claim they are than the would have no problem constructing their contracts. So please read the entire post before jumping the gun and do your research on the people you are talking about before you talk about them. Thank You......:facepalm:

kozelkid
12-11-2011, 05:16 AM
Try telling Amare and Melo they have to make less, first.

MFFL==FML
12-11-2011, 05:22 AM
The only super star or even all star player I know that would be willing to do this is Dirk Nowitzki.... how many Dirk Nowitzkis are there that you know of? :|

gaughan333
12-11-2011, 05:36 AM
I think it is more likely that they bring back the super sonics

AllBall
12-11-2011, 06:26 AM
OP add link to your post, geesh.

AllBall
12-11-2011, 06:26 AM
edit:double post

Kashmir13579
12-11-2011, 06:36 AM
Amar'e and 'Melo passing on 8 million dollars. :laugh2:

kyubi256
12-11-2011, 07:49 AM
It's possible but very unlikely. Especially with TC signing they'd have to drop a lot of salary

xxplayerxx23
12-11-2011, 11:04 AM
Melo and amare are greedy bastards, BUt you never know. Stern would reject the move for "basketball reasons". I cant see it happening but could you imgen it happening Paul-Melo-Amare-Chandler :P

Jarvo
12-11-2011, 12:34 PM
Lmaoo the knicks are the most hated team in the NBA now my gosh have things changed.

Hustla23
12-11-2011, 12:56 PM
I seriously doubt Melo and Amare take that big of a paycut, but if they do, the Knicks would be unstoppable.