PDA

View Full Version : Hornets GM Demps wanted to resigning after nixed trade

iggypop123
12-09-2011, 12:59 AM
Hornets general manager Dell Demps is “disconsolate” over the heavy-handed move from the commissioner’s office, a source told Y! Sports. Demps considered resigning his job on Thursday, league sources said, and had to be talked out of it. The Hornets had scored a terrific deal for Paul, a trade that was lauded by some of Demps’ peers throughout the league. Officials involved in the trade talks said the league office was consulted throughout the negotiations, and there was never an indication Demps didn’t have the power to make a deal. In fact, several teams negotiating with New Orleans to get Paul asked the league office, and were told Demps had full authority to execute a trade.

yahoo sports
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=At_MCea0tR2fjoZ6_q4Uws28vLYF?slug=aw-wojnarowski_chris_paul_lakers_hornets_nba_120811

Avenged
12-09-2011, 01:00 AM
He should feel that way. He landed a gem of players only for it to be taken away? What's the point of being the GM then.

KB-Pau-DH2012
12-09-2011, 01:01 AM
Poor guy

JordansBulls
12-09-2011, 01:03 AM
Hornets had no shot of being higher than a 6th seed with CP3 or not unless they brought another star in which wasn't going to happen.

spurs4#5
12-09-2011, 01:04 AM
hornets would have been relative and would have opened up the doors for potential buyers...nba screwed up...more importantly this screwed with the chemistry of all teams involved....good job nba

LA_Raiders
12-09-2011, 01:04 AM
It was a win for all... **** you Stern and cry baby owners...

Now What? He is not signing with any other team but LA or NY.... So? Dont trade him and lose him in FA to either LA or NY. lol

Stern is so stupid...

spurs4#5
12-09-2011, 01:05 AM
^ this

LAOwnsAll15
12-09-2011, 01:05 AM
This man worked magic, and then got told it wasnt good enough..
SMH. poor guy, at least he has a nice score on his resume even if it has a *never happened.
lol

J4KOP99
12-09-2011, 01:07 AM
Yeah, Stern ****ed the Hornets much harder than the Lakers...

Lakers are still loaded. Arguably even more loaded now than they would be with Paul.

C-Style
12-09-2011, 01:07 AM
Officials involved in the trade talks said the league office was consulted throughout the negotiations, and there was never an indication Demps didn’t have the power to make a deal. In fact, several teams negotiating with New Orleans to get Paul asked the league office, and were told Demps had full authority to execute a trade.

Until the owners found out about it.

broncosfan4eva
12-09-2011, 01:11 AM
Sum bull is what it is

shep33
12-09-2011, 01:14 AM
Poor guy, got a great great deal and gets hosed.

shep33
12-09-2011, 01:15 AM
Why even have a GM in NO's?

Shmontaine
12-09-2011, 01:15 AM
Until the owners found out about it.

until that trade had the owners paying even more money into a team that they are forced to support... if the hornets payroll decreased, i'm sure it would be a done deal... it's all about the $$

ThunderousDemon
12-09-2011, 01:16 AM
If the deal didn't go through because the Hornets are NBA owned then essentially they can't acquire free agents or sign extensions with any players because another teams owner could complain the fact that the hornets are owned by the league.

Showmeyourtds
12-09-2011, 01:17 AM
I couldn't agree more with everyone the Hornets got a ton of talent back to make them competitive and the owners are crying because there is another big 3. I am a lakers fan and I would admit they really took a coin toss with this deal and it could bite them in the butt. WOw!

lvlheaded
Bottom line is, the owners big thing was competitive balance in the lockout. So when Demps had the deal with the Lakers, The owners were irate and Stern tried to cover his ***. Its complete ********. All it did was **** the Hornets for the future, and the Lakers chemistry. Well done Stern :clap: :facepalm:

Fireworld
I just saw on sports center that the deal is on HOLD. not canceled. I think the deal will eventually go though.

jrm2054
12-09-2011, 01:20 AM
I just saw on sports center that the deal is on HOLD. not canceled. I think the deal will eventually go though.

No they said Paul wont show up to Hornets camp and is acting as if it's on hold while the NBAPA trys to take legal action. The deal is dead unless the NBAPA can legally reverse it.

nolafan33
12-09-2011, 01:20 AM
Dell should have resigned, I would have been behind him 100%.

“We were all told by the league he was a trade-able player, and now they’re saying that Dell doesn’t have the authority to make the trade?” said an NBA executive who had periodic talks with New Orleans throughout the process. “Now, they’re saying that Dell is an idiot, that he can’t do it his job. [Expletive] this whole thing. David’s drunk on power, and he doesn’t give a [expletive] about the players, and he doesn’t give a [expletive] about the hundreds of hours the teams put into make that deal."

ThunderousDemon
12-09-2011, 01:22 AM

I would agree with you but I won't because of "BasketBall Reasons".:D

LAOwnsAll15
12-09-2011, 01:27 AM
If one good thing come of this whole Fiasco, its that it showed how bad the Hornets need an Owner, and how potentially easy it would be to get that team to be a contender.

Lets not forget Stern just confessed his stupidity to the world

Kevj77
12-09-2011, 01:28 AM
until that trade had the owners paying even more money into a team that they are forced to support... if the hornets payroll decreased, i'm sure it would be a done deal... it's all about the $$Hornets were losing one player and gaining four plus a first from Houston. Yeah it did increase their payroll by 15 million, but they only have six players under contract now they are going to have to spend at least 15 million to fill out their roster right? That is a ******** excuse.

JayHunter
12-09-2011, 01:32 AM
The NBA had to power to do what they felt since they own the Hornets

waveycrockett
12-09-2011, 01:35 AM
He should. That was a joke and makes him look like a complete puppet/tool for Stern. If he has any self respect he would re-sign to send a message to the league that the he isn't Stern's tool. His job was to do whats best for the Hornets and he did that.

waveycrockett
12-09-2011, 01:36 AM
The NBA had to power to do what they felt since they own the Hornets

So if the entire NBA has the power to tell the Hornets what to do what do they need a GM for?

Dade County
12-09-2011, 01:38 AM
Why even have a GM in NO's?

Thank YOU!!! I've been saying this.

beasted86
12-09-2011, 01:42 AM
So if the entire NBA has the power to tell the Hornets what to do what do they need a GM for?

This.

If Chris Paul walks in free agency they are going to say "Their GM is an idiot, he should have traded him for something rather than be left with nothing"

If the Hornets trade Chris Paul to the Knicks, they are going to say "Their GM is an idiot, other teams had better offers"

When the GM finally does his job and tries to get the best value and talent possible out of a deal, the NBA says "Dell is an idiot, that he can’t do his job."

Guy can't win, should just re-sign.... because if the team doesn't fold, the new owner will probably scrap the front office.

oak2455
12-09-2011, 01:42 AM
Yeah, Stern ****ed the Hornets much harder than the Lakers...

Lakers are still loaded. Arguably even more loaded now than they would be with Paul.

its all the owners.... all of them!! except the teams involved in this trade, so basically this will be a tough trade to put together for any club...makes no sense:mad:

Teeboy1487
12-09-2011, 01:48 AM
At the end of the day, NO was screwed the most. Pau and Odom will get over it hopefully and the Lakers will be fine. Same situation with the Houston players. However, NO won that deal imo. That had the perfect deal. Now David Stern screwed them and Paul being traded now would be just stupid. Paul will walk and they will be left with nothing. I feel bad for them.

NYY 26 to 7
12-09-2011, 01:49 AM
He did find a nice deal and did it quick not holding this over the NBA's head. This looks awful for the league and how is Demps supposed to go to work and do his job. I would like to know the truth to being told that he did have full authority. If true then this is just that much more messed up.

utl768
12-09-2011, 01:53 AM
david stern is the gm of the hornets