PDA

View Full Version : Reason why Chris Paul trade was rejected

JordansBulls
12-09-2011, 12:28 AM
Fwiw

‎"nba owners collectively own noh, they saved them last year when they went bankrupt. The hornets got back 15 million extra in the trade for paul. Because of that, the other 28 owners pretty much would've had to foot a 15 million dollar bill... Because the hornets are nba owned. Obviously they said no to that. Slash, they didn't want the first trade post-lockout to be made by the league. Literally has nothing to do with the trade it has everything to do with the fact that the other owners shouldn't be stuck paying for the new salary noh just traded for.

- nba insider from cbs sports "

Cal827
12-09-2011, 12:29 AM
I though Emeka was also part of the deal, which would almost break them even.

dnewguy
12-09-2011, 12:29 AM
Well, damn!

hugepatsfan
12-09-2011, 12:30 AM
To be honest, that makes sense. I can undestand that point.

last stand
they gave 4 reasons.

last stand
To be honest, that makes sense. I can undestand that point.

if the lakers take back okafor the deal breaks even money wise.

what54!?
12-09-2011, 12:31 AM
Well then hell the hornets need to find an owner.....and soon

hugepatsfan
12-09-2011, 12:33 AM

Well in the proposed trade LA wasn't taking back Okafor. And that's not a given. That's a very big contract and LA seems to want to add Dwight (trade a pakcage centered around Bynum for him). Taking back Okafor means they have a huge expense that really has no use. It's not a given they'd just agree to take him back in the deal IMO.

Lakers4ItAll
12-09-2011, 12:34 AM
**** the league and owners!

J4KOP99
I really do think that this trade will end up happening and it will involve Emeka. The Lakers do have use for Okafor, despite what others posters are saying...

If this trade were to have happened as is, the Lakers would have been left with literally one big man... Bynum.

Hellcrooner
thats B.S

the trade gave them back talent enough to MAKE PLAYOFFS, wich means MAKING MONEY.

Tony_Starks
12-09-2011, 12:35 AM
Believe that spin job if you want to. It's pretty obvious what really happened.....

Heatcheck
12-09-2011, 12:37 AM
what happened?

marj987
12-09-2011, 12:38 AM
Seems fair.

LA_Raiders
12-09-2011, 12:39 AM

iggypop123
12-09-2011, 12:40 AM
doesnt matter if emeka was going back. the nba said it was because of "basketball reasons" they are arguing the trade was too lopsided for it to be made. paul is not going anywhere unless its to a small market like the pacers or something

Lakers3747
12-09-2011, 12:41 AM

x3

loublue22
12-09-2011, 12:42 AM
The Hornets only have six players on their roster as it is.

Good to know they can't spend more than 15 million to get the other 6 they'll need to field a team.

Lake_Show2416
12-09-2011, 12:43 AM
give us Okafor or David West in a S&T instead of the trade exceptions, so the owners can find another terrible excuse

shep33
12-09-2011, 12:44 AM
Honestly why have the Hornets in the league then? Why even have GM?

TheNumber37
12-09-2011, 12:45 AM
They could've moved players in a salary dump, maybe amnestied Steve Blake.

loublue22
12-09-2011, 12:45 AM
And as long they are UNDER the cap, that is a complete BS reason

Heatcheck
12-09-2011, 12:46 AM
And as long they are UNDER the cap, that is a complete BS reason

a long as who is under the cap the hornets?

Hellcrooner
12-09-2011, 12:47 AM
lol, now they are trying a smoke screen and say houston backed of because pau didnt want to be there!!!!!!!!!

Stern not only are you a lier a mother****er an eunuc and an owner *** licker, you are now also a coward

ThunderousDemon
12-09-2011, 12:47 AM
This is complete BS because the argument the owners are posing is that the Hornets can't make trades because it's own by the NBA, then essentially the Hornets lose because Chris Paul won't sign an extension and the Hornets get left with nothing rather than something.

shep33
12-09-2011, 12:48 AM
Feel bad for the Hornets. They get nothing now except a disgruntled CP3

More-Than-Most
12-09-2011, 12:51 AM
thats B.S

the trade gave them back talent enough to MAKE PLAYOFFS, wich means MAKING MONEY.

No this is ********. Last time I checked it does not promise them the playoffs especially in the west,

loublue22
a long as who is under the cap the hornets?

Yeah. I'm saying how can the league justify stopping a team from adding salary if they're under the cap?

SportsAndrew25
What a massive disaster right here. CP3 and NO are not gonna be the best of friends to say the least now.

Evolution23
so now what?

lakerman
12-09-2011, 12:52 AM

I second that motion...:clap:

FlakeyFool
12-09-2011, 12:53 AM
whos cp3

gotoHcarolina52
12-09-2011, 12:56 AM
whos cp3

David Stern's b itch

Game_Over
12-09-2011, 12:56 AM

**** The Lakers!!

roshan3ai
12-09-2011, 12:58 AM
If this is true, then Meka will be added to the deal and the Lakers will get Paul

epizo1
12-09-2011, 12:58 AM
Where was the NBA when these negotiations were taking place? I mean, who put this deal together? It's suffice to say the tide turned when owners complained. At this point, the Lakers may not achieve the ultimate goal this year but this will galvanize the organization. What happens when you tell someone they can't do something? They do it anyways. Not saying CP3 is coming to LA but the league pissed off the wrong organization.

championships
12-09-2011, 12:59 AM
It's all good. Lakers will just get someone else now. D Will anyone?

lakerman
lol, now they are trying a smoke screen and say houston backed of because pau didnt want to be there!!!!!!!!!

Stern not only are you a lier a mother****er an eunuc and an owner *** licker, you are now also a coward

Stern is a Liar he said on the conference today that player can go to any team that he want to.. A reporter ask Stern today about can a player go whatever he wants to as a free agent Stern said yes, as we can see he lied if it was up to Stern that would be in the new collective bargaining...

Super.
LoL at the Lakers fans crying about this
:laugh2:

ThunderousDemon
12-09-2011, 01:01 AM

:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry: :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry: You happy

kozelkid
12-09-2011, 01:02 AM

Why would LA do that? They still need room for Dwight.

Anyone who actually thinks LA was done with just getting CP3 is incredibly naive.

Talk about an incredibly unbalanced roster.

waveycrockett
Thats BS because if that were the case Demps and LA would have thrown in Okafor to match salaries evenly.

championships

I'm not crying. This is the Lakers, you won't keep them down. Time to get someone different. How does D will and Howard sound? :smoking:

Sadds The Gr8
12-09-2011, 01:05 AM
If this is true, then Meka will be added to the deal and the Lakers will get Paul

then they'll say the trade was unfair for basketball reasons.

ThunderousDemon
12-09-2011, 01:06 AM
then they'll say the trade was unfair for basketball reasons.

lol

ThunderousDemon
12-09-2011, 01:07 AM
I'm not crying. This is the Lakers, you won't keep them down. Time to get someone different. How does D will and Howard sound? :smoking:

If we get Howard then Chris Paul will either want to come to LA or the Knicks when's he's a free agent.

Eagles4Lyfe
12-09-2011, 01:09 AM
Why don't the lakers just take okafor or start shopping him around to other teams and see what teams would offer and take anything even if its junk and if there is some sorta talent given give that person to the hornets too.

That's just bull **** how the NBA decides to now step in and stop these mega teams instead of last year when it should've happened thats not fair for the other teams at all. Disband the heat or **** off..

I heard multiple GM's rejected the offer and were angry over it so all these butt hurt GM's vetoed the trade.

Not to mention IF CP3 walks at the end of the year for nothing the NBA looks stupid because NO is stuck with nothing and don't get anything out of it

Chronz
12-09-2011, 01:13 AM

You dont think Pau is capable of forcing his way out? Hes done it before.

5ass
12-09-2011, 01:19 AM
Makes sense, but im sure these are not the only reasons. Im sure theirs one missing. Lol

Dade County
12-09-2011, 01:20 AM
That's just bull **** how the NBA decides to now step in and stop these mega teams instead of last year when it should've happened thats not fair for the other teams at all. Disband the heat or **** off..

I heard multiple GM's rejected the offer and were angry over it so all these butt hurt GM's vetoed the trade.

Not to mention IF CP3 walks at the end of the year for nothing the NBA looks stupid because NO is stuck with nothing and don't get anything out of it

How would they have stopped the HEAT from signing free agents? They would have called Pat and told him, he can't sign Bosh & Lbj... WTF are you talking about??????????? Help me understand!!!!!!!!!!

Disband us for what? Having a great GM, that actually plans things out.

Hellcrooner
12-09-2011, 01:21 AM
So bascially the reason is

1 Some owners want Paul for themselves ( cetlics, clippers, knicks, warriors etc etc)

2 Som owners shitted on their pants that it may put lakers over them ( Heat, Mavs, Bulls etc)

3 some owners still have some pain in their butts since last year ( tor, Cavs....)

4 Some owners are simply a bunc of losers that dont know anything that to cry and make stupid expensive signings ( was, mem, atl)

5 ONE owner crapped in his pants at the thought of kobe with more than 6 rings.

Yunqn
12-09-2011, 01:26 AM
Can someone explain to me what the rockets were thinking?

The rockets are basically giving la the best player while giving up the most..

The rockets are the reason this trade got nixed.. L.a gave up enough.. It was actually a REALLY fair for l.a..

For all that the knicks can basically trade amare to houston and billups and douglas to new orleans .. just as fair ..

The league almost have to trade paul now to one of them to avoid a players vs owners fight ..

Shmontaine
12-09-2011, 01:26 AM

1 Some owners want Paul for themselves ( cetlics, clippers, knicks, warriors etc etc)

2 Som owners shitted on their pants that it may put lakers over them ( Heat, Mavs, Bulls etc)

3 some owners still have some pain in their butts since last year ( tor, Cavs....)

4 Some owners are simply a bunc of losers that dont know anything that to cry and make stupid expensive signings ( was, mem, atl)

6. 21 owners lost money last year and now a team they are forced to financially support just increased their payroll by 15 million..

THE MTL
12-09-2011, 01:28 AM

this is what it came down to lol.

Hellcrooner
12-09-2011, 01:32 AM
6. 21 owners lost money last year and now a team they are forced to financially support just increased their payroll by 15 million..

yes sending a good palyer to the best mone maker team for the league to make even more money that NOW will be shared between teams go figure.

Yunqn
12-09-2011, 01:32 AM

Thats the only one that makes sense bu i highly doubt ot was those teams for the simple fact that l.a is actually more beatable now then before without depth size and skill down low..

The rockets are a joke of a franchise they basically wanted te lakers to get paul..

ripjhb18
12-09-2011, 01:33 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ys-nba_dan_gilbert_email_lakers_hornets_trade_120811

Hahaha Dan Gilbert.

JayHunter
12-09-2011, 01:35 AM
That makes a lot of sense

Shmontaine
12-09-2011, 01:36 AM
yes sending a good palyer to the best mone maker team for the league to make even more money that NOW will be shared between teams go figure.

the projected increases you like to assume would occur don't fly with the definite increases in the expenses NO incurred..

Ebbs
12-09-2011, 01:37 AM
Dont care why or how this is wondeful news

Young2Kinsler
12-09-2011, 01:40 AM
Ya know, I have been taking a break from PSD to put my sports life back to pieces, but this is big enough to bring me back.

There is ZERO reason at all why the NBA owners should be able to do this, or David Stern, or anyone else. The Hornets GM was making a deal to improve his team now and for the future. He has 66 games left, and then CP3 is walking away from this franchise. Why should the franchise have to sit back and let him walk away for nothing when they can make a GREAT trade like they are trying to do.

I understand the NBA owns this team, but when they saved them from going bankrupt, they had to know they would keep operating as an NBA team right? Are they not supposed to be able to do anything but sit in their own **** and wallow?

Jeers to you NBA, after locking out over stupid **** for so long, you come back to make yourselves look even more ignorant. Congrats

Young2Kinsler
12-09-2011, 01:41 AM
Dont care why or how this is wondeful news

The hell it is. I don't care if you are a Mavs fan, or Heat fan, or Bucks, or whoever the ****. This is a screw job.

LAOwnsAll15
12-09-2011, 01:43 AM
The trade, on a financial point of view made no sense. It had the Lakers giving up 2 top $$ players for 1. I can see how the League would make up any excuse to add to the fact that, that shouldnt be possible.

This was essentially a precusor to the DH12 coming to LA trade. It free'd up the money to lock both those guys in long term. If they only wanted CP3, IMO the first version of the trade would have been 100% ready to go.

The Lakers have to take on a bad contract from NOH to get CP3 in LA. They tried to avoid this, and got caught. Now they have to either ship the contract directly to ORL or find someone else to take it in a 3 way trade for DH12.

It basically gave the Lakers a much harder task in landing BOTH CP3 or DH12. IF the Lakers are serious about Landing BOTH they better start making some more calls.

beasted86
12-09-2011, 01:47 AM
Fwiw

BS reasoning. Hornets are using cap space to take on extra salary.

Do the owners expect the Hornets not to re-sign any of it's free agents or add players to fill up the roster before the season starts?

Why continue with this sham... just contract the team right now.

Hellcrooner
12-09-2011, 01:47 AM
Ya know, I have been taking a break from PSD to put my sports life back to pieces, but this is big enough to bring me back.

There is ZERO reason at all why the NBA owners should be able to do this, or David Stern, or anyone else. The Hornets GM was making a deal to improve his team now and for the future. He has 66 games left, and then CP3 is walking away from this franchise. Why should the franchise have to sit back and let him walk away for nothing when they can make a GREAT trade like they are trying to do.

I understand the NBA owns this team, but when they saved them from going bankrupt, they had to know they would keep operating as an NBA team right? Are they not supposed to be able to do anything but sit in their own **** and wallow?

Jeers to you NBA, after locking out over stupid **** for so long, you come back to make yourselves look even more ignorant. Congrats

its also a shame that the rumour started in the eavening but league didnt deny the trade UNTIL PLAYERs HAD SIGNED THE NEW CBA

bringinwood
12-09-2011, 01:48 AM
It would definitely violate one or more terms of anti-trust law when it came to other competition for Chris Paul...

Price fixing...

You can even make a case that it would be bid rigging...

With the heat the NBA has on it already for competitive balance, it would be a disaster for anti-trust action to be filed against the NBA...

Dade County
12-09-2011, 01:52 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ys-nba_dan_gilbert_email_lakers_hornets_trade_120811

Hahaha Dan Gilbert.

This guy strikes again !!!!! :laugh:

utl768
12-09-2011, 01:53 AM
pathetic

bringinwood
12-09-2011, 01:56 AM
This guy strikes again !!!!! :laugh:

Good for Dan Gilbert...

He has every right to protect his own product from being victim to anti-trust law violations...

Considering he'd be a defendant in any action taken against the league, it makes perfect sense...

5ass
12-09-2011, 01:57 AM
lol can u blame the owners though? paying 15 mill just to see another team star studded team in the making? Just put yourself in their shoes for a bit

Korman12
12-09-2011, 01:58 AM

Hahaha Dan Gilbert.

He's right.

GiantsSwaGG
12-09-2011, 01:59 AM
LMFAO he'll be a Knick

Vikingfan84
12-09-2011, 02:02 AM
I really do think that this trade will end up happening and it will involve Emeka. The Lakers do have use for Okafor, despite what others posters are saying...

If this trade were to have happened as is, the Lakers would have been left with literally one big man... Bynum.
Hornets don't need Okafor anyways. He's a little pansy. We could make this trade and then turn around and sign Dalembert / Tyson. I'm sure Tyson would come back to the Hornets without a question.

More-Than-Most
12-09-2011, 02:26 AM
its also a shame that the rumour started in the eavening but league didnt deny the trade UNTIL PLAYERs HAD SIGNED THE NEW CBA

this is something I agree with... I have no problem with them stopping the deal because the owners have to pay money if this were to happen but why not do all this before letting it go this far. Just moronic from stern.

bomber0104
12-09-2011, 02:30 AM
seriously... i didn't know Stern is running a ****ing fantasy league

MTar786
12-09-2011, 02:41 AM
lol nice spin.. everyone knows why the trade didnt go down. dont play dumb

Kevj77
12-09-2011, 02:48 AM
lol can u blame the owners though? paying 15 mill just to see another team star studded team in the making? Just put yourself in their shoes for a bitThat is BS. The Hornets will have to pay at least 15 million to fill out their roster. They only have 6 players under contract. They have to field at least a 12 man roster. If this trade had gone down they would have had 9 players under contract and added 3 player for 15 million with a future first round pick. They would still have to add 3 more players for a 12 man roster. What they can't sign free agents either? They have to play with 6 players all year?

BKLYNpigeon
12-09-2011, 03:05 AM
As much as I hated and dreaded the idea of CP3 joining the Lakers, the NBA and Stern went way to far. that was a legit deal, all the teams agreed on it, its should go through.

so basically, with Stern Vetoing this trade because the owners didnt like it. it basically means, cp3 can only be traded to crappy teams and not get a good offer because he probably wont sign an extension.

BKLYNpigeon
12-09-2011, 03:07 AM
more news coming out about the trade:

the trade was rescinded, but it is on hold. so it could go through.

Ty Fast
12-09-2011, 03:26 AM
the crappy thing is, is that it is a good deal for new orleans. they would get 3 solid players back for a guy who wants nothing to do with them. look at what bron, bosh and melo were traded for.

kblo247
12-09-2011, 03:31 AM
David Locke: My guess is the trade that was proposed and agreed to tonight ends up going through tomorrow - CP3 is on Lakers when we play them Dec 27th

J. Michael Falgoust: ... my best guess is #NBA wanted the ink to dry on the new CBA. Only plausible explanation b/c of the timing #lakers #hornets

EricPincus Eric Pincus
Spoke to one NBA exec who said Dell Demps was negotiating with full authority re: Paul . . . not so apparently

Like I said, the **** hits the fan and they put it through.

Wade>You
12-09-2011, 03:45 AM
If Paul wanted to go to Cleveland, Phoenix, or Sacramento Paul would've been traded.

And for the record, the league has stated numerous times that it would not interfere with the Hornets' basketball operations.

kblo247
12-09-2011, 03:50 AM
KBergCBS Ken Berger
For those wondering why all chatter stopped: After trade nixed, all league business effectively halted. GMs/agents didn't know what to do.

I read that as wtf did we just do, or Silver and the other people looking at astern and saying better yet wtf did you just do

jammastershake
12-09-2011, 03:57 AM
seriously... i didn't know Stern is running a ****ing fantasy league

Pretty ironic statement coming from a fan of a team trying to build a fantasy team with Kobe, CP3 and Dwight Howard.

MickeyMgl
12-09-2011, 03:57 AM
If they didn't want to abide by the decisions made by the person they put in charge of the team (Del Demps), then the proper move would have been for the league to get rid of the Hornets altogether. It was a great deal for the Hornets, questionable deal for the Lakers, but I resent the increasing tone of the league vs the Lakers. Any time the Lakers make a big move to get better or get a star player, it's met with snide remarks like "So much for competitive balance". Maybe these other owners should try a little harder. Dang.

Cano-Montero...
12-09-2011, 04:03 AM
Actually with the trade Hornets improve the most...

wonder why it did not pass through...lol

James Dolan
12-09-2011, 04:05 AM

Easy there, man...

MickeyMgl
12-09-2011, 04:13 AM

:)

LOL at opposing fans taking their victories any way they can. Do what you gotta do to compete, little fella. Like cry foul any time the Lakers make a move to improve themselves. Don't demand that of your team, of course. Just cry foul.

Meanwhile, the Lakers will do what they gotta do.

naps
12-09-2011, 04:16 AM
LOL. Pretty much everyone seems to get this except the greedy ones who thought another Gasolesque gift (Howard for Glassknee Buynum) would happen as a result of this.

MickeyMgl
12-09-2011, 04:24 AM
BS reasoning. Hornets are using cap space to take on extra salary.

Do the owners expect the Hornets not to re-sign any of it's free agents or add players to fill up the roster before the season starts?

Why continue with this sham... just contract the team right now.

THIS

This series of events exposes the cl*st*rf*ck of a situation the NBA has created by refusing to do the obvious right thing... CONTRACT the friggin' franchise! Or else, abide by the decisions of the person you put in charge. Can't have it both ways. But contraction is the sensible thing to do. It's turned into a league run by stooges.

PV2nice
12-09-2011, 04:39 AM
As much as I dislike the Heat at least the three did all the dirty work on their own time (FA) and did a bit of sacrificing ($$).

Lakers were clearly getting the best PG in the game while having the best SG in the game and setting themselves up to have the best C in the game. Which Would have made them the best well rounded big three in the game.

Yes N.O was getting back a ton of "talent" but how good was it really.

Odom is an aging vet who if you did want to get rid of it would be for another bad contract=N.O LOSER
Martin is another Jr Smith making 12+mil=N.O LOSER
Scola is an Over paid PF owed 40 mil+ next 4 yrs =N.O LOSER
Dragic is an cheap good player=N.O WINNER
(knicks) 1st round pick is over hyped "if" their a top 10 team in the league=PUSH

N.O would of received 76Mil worth of salaries...LA 32 Mil & Houston $58...N.O being much harder to get rid of then say Paul with Lakers and Gasol with Houston. Short term yes N.O "wins" but long term no way and at the rate GM's last now a days the N.O GM would be gone before they realize how bad of a trade it would of been .

We all cried wolf when the three girls from South Beach got together now the rest you including the Hollyfools are crying because you cant have one. Truth is dating back from the Portland days when they were loaded is a clear sign all star teams make highlight clips why well balanced teams make championship videos.

Arch Stanton
12-09-2011, 04:46 AM
If Paul wanted to go to Cleveland, Phoenix, or Sacramento Paul would've been traded.

And for the record, the league has stated numerous times that it would not interfere with the Hornets' basketball operations.

You love to single out other mid-small markets teams... I find it interesting since you're a huge homer of a city without any sports history (outside the Dolphins)... you're city doesn't really have a fan base... empty seating at Marlins and Heat games (maybe except when they buy championships... see the 1997 Marlins)... and was on the map for being a Cocaine paradise in the 80's. Congratulations for living in a tropical area that contains fickle yet high end prices. But hey Madonna has a house here so let's all pretend we're star f(ckers.... let's change the name to the Miami Star... you know where I'm going...
Once you grow up maybe I'll tell you how I really feel... but since were all objects that justify your opinion I'll stand pat. Good luck living life dude!

Odominator
12-09-2011, 04:46 AM
Lakers taking Okafor back does not limit them from trading for Howard. They could very well restructure this deal which includes Okafor, then what would Gilbert complain about?

PV2nice
12-09-2011, 04:50 AM
You love to single out other mid-small markets teams... I find it interesting since you're a huge homer of a city without any sports history (outside the Dolphins)... you're city doesn't really have a fan base... empty seating at Marlins and Heat games (maybe except when they buy championships... see the 1997 Marlins)... and was on the map for being a Cocaine paradise in the 80's. Congratulations for living in a tropical area that contains fickle yet high end prices. But hey Madonna has a house here so let's all pretend we're star f(ckers.... let's change the name to the Miami Star... you know where I'm going...
Once you grow up maybe I'll tell you how I really feel... but since were all objects that justify your opinion I'll stand pat. Good luck living life dude!

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

bringinwood
12-09-2011, 04:50 AM
Lakers taking Okafor back does not limit them from trading for Howard. They could very well restructure this deal which includes Okafor, then what would Gilbert complain about?

No Gilbert might not...

However, when the NBAPA files anti-trust litigation against all 29 owners along with David Stern ( who would most likely be the first defendant listed ), Dr. Buss, Mitch Kupchak, and co. might be the only ones fighting for this deal to get pushed through...

You need a vote but, if it's against the law, Stern has every right to veto the deal... If the player's union wants to fight it, they have all the grounds in the world...

I think Stern knows this and doesn't want bad publicity, a law suit, or to be fired because the Laker's want a deal to be pushed through...

ClippersE.G
12-09-2011, 05:00 AM
Believe that spin job if you want to. It's pretty obvious what really happened.....

exactly...love how you put it. Lets see what story they come up with tomorrow

PV2nice
12-09-2011, 05:09 AM
No Gilbert might not...

However, when the NBAPA files anti-trust litigation against all 29 owners along with David Stern ( who would most likely be the first defendant listed ), Dr. Buss, Mitch Kupchak, and co. might be the only ones fighting for this deal to get pushed through...

You need a vote but, if it's against the law, Stern has every right to veto the deal... If the player's union wants to fight it, they have all the grounds in the world...

I think Stern knows this and doesn't want bad publicity, a law suit, or to be fired because the Laker's want a deal to be pushed through...

Not so fast.......

The Hornets are owned by the "NBA" but that just means the Hornets are the shared property of 29 rival NBA owners which means they all have a say on anything the Hornets do. Which also means if the Hornets are losing money than all 29 other teams lose money. Does that matter to likes of LA, MIA, NY etc etc NO. But it does to the CLE,MIL,TOR etc etc.... Considering long term what N.O was receiving would convince a judge to rule in favor of the NBA.

MickeyMgl
12-09-2011, 11:10 PM
As much as I dislike the Heat at least the three did all the dirty work on their own time (FA) and did a bit of sacrificing ($$).

Lakers were clearly getting the best PG in the game while having the best SG in the game and setting themselves up to have the best C in the game. Which Would have made them the best well rounded big three in the game.

Yes N.O was getting back a ton of "talent" but how good was it really.

The Hornets liked what they were getting, as do most independent observers.

Odom is an aging vet who if you did want to get rid of it would be for another bad contract=N.O LOSER

6th Man of the Year

Really, that's all that needs to be said to emphasize that this is not just some "aging vet". He's just 31 and still a very good player. He's not on the edge of retirement. He also has a rather GOOD contract, by most accounts, as he took a significant pay cut to stay with the team. Still arguably the most versatile player in the league.

Martin is another Jr Smith making 12+mil=N.O LOSER
Scola is an Over paid PF owed 40 mil+ next 4 yrs =N.O LOSER
Dragic is an cheap good player=N.O WINNER
(knicks) 1st round pick is over hyped "if" their a top 10 team in the league=PUSH

N.O would of received 76Mil worth of salaries...LA 32 Mil & Houston $58...N.O being much harder to get rid of then say Paul with Lakers and Gasol with Houston. Short term yes N.O "wins" but long term no way and at the rate GM's last now a days the N.O GM would be gone before they realize how bad of a trade it would of been .

This is the same mistake many people made when analyzing the Laker-Grizzlie trade for Gasol right after it was done, or right after the Lakers won a title. Now, people look at that as a much fairer deal than originally perceived, as the Grizzlies, largely on the strength of that trade, were able to build a strong Western Conference contender.

The mistake is in thinking that, between "short term" and "long term", one counts more than the other. Each team decides for itself whether they want the value of what they receive in trade to be fulfilled right away or down the road. If you agree that "short term NO wins", then really that's good enough for me that the deal was sound. Not every team has the same agenda.

raiderfaninTX
12-09-2011, 11:29 PM
there are only a few on here that are going to understand how this is all about $$$$ and nothing more.

If people think this is about a game its not this is all business.The NBA wants to sell this team.

When you go to buy a house maybe there's a nice pool in it well what if you went back a week later the pool was gone but the price went up because they added nicer lights to the rooms.

Your probably not going to buy that house, and that is what the owners don't want.

solelimited
12-09-2011, 11:43 PM
The worst reason Stern gave today was CP3 was more valuable to keep at this moment. Didn't the hornets file bankruptcy with CP3 on their roster? Arent the Hornets one the teams losing money? This idea of keeping 1 star will make teams more profitable or competitively balance is blind.

FLWolvesFan
12-09-2011, 11:54 PM
I don't think Odom, Martin, Scola, and Dragic plus a mid-late round pick help bring in an owner, that's the leagues position imo and certainly their goal. Younger players with more upside and additional/more likely to be higher picks would. Put Bynum in a NOH uni. and it would be a different story.

The Hornets GM doesn't get this but the owners of the team do.