PDA

View Full Version : The Owners basically telling Stern to kill Paul to Lakers deal is TAMPERING

KnIckNy212
12-08-2011, 10:32 PM
Some one explain to me how the owners (small market owners) can call Stern and basically order him to kill the deal and I know the league owns the team, that has to be tampering. So anytime the Hornets are going to try and trade Paul to a big market team the owners are going to tell Stern to kill it. The Hornets cant trade him to any team because he wont sign a extension, there are only about 4 or 5 teams that they can trade him to. It is not like this deal is the Lakers stealing Gasol from the Grizzles, the lakers would have kobe,paul, and bynum thats it and if bynum doesnt come to play or gets hurt the Lakers are for sure beatable. They are not a overwhelming fav to win the whole thing. Maybe Im crazy but I think this is nuts.

hugepatsfan
12-08-2011, 10:35 PM
I agree. I owe Daleja an apology too because he mentioned this scenario and I thought it was BS. I guess I underestimated how truly ****ed up the NBA can be sometimes.

VCaintdead17
12-08-2011, 10:36 PM
Well, the Hornets are owned by the NBA so they can do whatever the **** they want with them.

albertc86
My question is, does the same apply to Howard? Both guys have made it clear that they want to play in a big market or at least a contender.

nickdymez
I agree.. They are acting like the lakers are trading Matt barnes and Steve Blake for Chris Paul. Im lost right now.. smh

ChitownBears22
I think it is BS. Lakers will get Paul though. There is nothing wrong with this trade. They are getting rid of a consistent All-Star (Gasol) and a legit bench player in (odom)

nickdymez
12-08-2011, 10:37 PM
I think im done with the NBA.

kylem4711
12-08-2011, 10:37 PM
why cant they do that? they own the team

Rndy
12-08-2011, 10:38 PM
My question is, does the same apply to Howard? Both guys have made it clear that they want to play in a big market or at least a contender.

Yes Howard will not be allowed in LA either. In fact from legit sources the only place that Howard can be dealt to is Chicago. :)

VCaintdead17
12-08-2011, 10:38 PM

No, they don't own the Magic

Giraffes Rule
12-08-2011, 10:39 PM

No. The NBA owners are the ones that fund the Hornets. Orlando has an owner, so the NBA won't have any influence there.

nickdymez
why cant they do that? they own the team

Its almost like extortion.. "If you let this trade go through...."

lakersfan01
FU@$ David Stern. I'd sure like to know which owners threw a tantrum and cried. Lakers in my opinion were on the short end of that deal anyways. F Stern and F the NBA. It's as real as WWF wrestling. Between this and the officiating...

ManRam
12-08-2011, 10:40 PM
Stern and the league control the team. They can do this. They couldn't do this if the Hornets were not involved....

The league CAN NOT do this for every trade, so if you think that's the case, calm down.

This is a unique circumstance. Shady...but totally legal. It's for the better of the league. The league's image would have taken a HUGE hit if they preached all this competitive balance bull ****, eventually ignored it, and then let their one controlled team alter the landscape more negatively than it already has been...reaffirming many fan's beliefs that the league has no parity...so they axed it.

hugepatsfan
I actually thought the deal was bad for NO - it's the type of trade that I believe limits a team to mediocrity. In the NBA, I think it's better to suck than to be "decent." But to veto it was ridiculous IMO.

kylem4711
Its almost like extortion.. "If you let this trade go through...."

uh no.

VCaintdead17
The majority of you are failing to see the entirety of the situation

KB-Pau-DH2012
A 6th man of the yr, who was 1 of 2 significant players traded for Shaquille O'Neal in 2004. His name is Lamar Odom.

And a former rookie of the yr who was responsible for changing the Lakers culture and pushing the franchise for 3 straight finals appearances and 2 NBA titles. His name is Pau Gasol.

How would this be an unfair trade?

don'tfireNedCo
12-08-2011, 10:41 PM
OP's passion is understandable, but to call it a tampering is not correct. the other owners own the team and they made an executive business decision. calling their decision tampering would be no different than saying stock holders killing a deal a COO made for a publicly traded company is tampering.

the problem is, stern letting the other owners to "OWN" a team while owning competing teams of the same league. imagine if GM got sold to ford and honda, and letting ford and honda executives make decision for GM. conflict of interest, that is the problem. the system itself is flawed, not the obvious decision that was made by people who "own" the team.

don'tfireNedCo
12-08-2011, 10:41 PM

no. magic has a private owner and that owner can make whatever the deal he wishes to make with any other teams.

Dade County
12-08-2011, 10:42 PM
I'm speechless.

I agree with the OP in a way...

Cal827
12-08-2011, 10:42 PM
As broken as I think it makes the Lakers, it's unfair to block it.. Them and Houston shouldn't need approval to make a deal with another team... so what if they block, and he goes into free agency.. and another big market team picks him up (e.g. What if the Knicks somehow get space (not acquiring Chandler, or Boston or some other market).

nickdymez
12-08-2011, 10:43 PM
I wonder who the owners would let him go to? The NBA is a joke. Basically he's not gonna sign anywhere but NY or LA.

mike_noodles
12-08-2011, 10:43 PM
This is the best thing a league commissioner has done this week by far.

And for those complaining about it saying it should go through, many many deals have been consummated by the GM's and then killed by the owners. The problem here is that really the Lakers are not giving up enough to get Chris Paul, and that's why the ownership doesn't want the deal done.

ManRam
12-08-2011, 10:44 PM
Some one explain to me how the owners (small market owners) can call Stern and basically order him to kill the deal and I know the league owns the team, that has to be tampering. So anytime the Hornets are going to try and trade Paul to a big market team the owners are going to tell Stern to kill it. The Hornets cant trade him to any team because he wont sign a extension, there are only about 4 or 5 teams that they can trade him to. It is not like this deal is the Lakers stealing Gasol from the Grizzles, the lakers would have kobe,paul, and bynum thats it and if bynum doesnt come to play or gets hurt the Lakers are for sure beatable. They are not a overwhelming fav to win the whole thing. Maybe Im crazy but I think this is nuts.

You really don't udnerstand.

The league CONTROLS the team. It's not tampering, because THE LEAGUE CONTROLS THE TEAM.

RLundi
12-08-2011, 10:44 PM
It's not really tampering because the other owners essentially own the Hornets.

Sucks for Lakers fans, sucks for Magic fans, sucks for Hornets fans, sucks for David Stern.

There are no winners in this.

don'tfireNedCo
12-08-2011, 10:46 PM
It's not really tampering because the other owners essentially own the Hornets.

Sucks for Lakers fans, sucks for Magic fans, sucks for Hornets fans, sucks for David Stern.

There are no winners in this.

how does it suck for magic?

29$JerZ
12-08-2011, 10:46 PM
League controls the team somits Legal like manram said. The biggest problem is he outlast that will ensue if his deal
Does not get completed. Stern just ruined an already shady legay.

Dade County
12-08-2011, 10:47 PM
Stern and the league control the team. They can do this. They couldn't do this if the Hornets were not involved....

The league CAN NOT do this for every trade, so if you think that's the case, calm down.

This is a unique circumstance. Shady...but totally legal. It's for the better of the league. The league's image would have taken a HUGE hit if they preached all this competitive balance bull ****, eventually ignored it, and then let their one controlled team alter the landscape more negatively than it already has been...reaffirming many fan's beliefs that the league has no parity...so they axed it.

I know you are in favor of this ...

But paul is not going to sign with another team, so if the Hornets trade him to a small market team; he will not STAY their, so these owners that blocked the trade, are just embarrassing the league.

What just happen was in no shape and form good for the league.

RLundi
12-08-2011, 10:47 PM

LA will assuredly turn its attention to Dwight Howard immediately.

KB-Pau-DH2012
12-08-2011, 10:48 PM

Because now they will have to go through that whole Melo-drama with Dwight and will be hit with distractions for practically the entire season.

This way, if CP3 went to LA, then Dwight would've been quicker I think in being dealt to LA, and this whole headache of CP3 and DH12 would be over once and for all.

nycclipse110
12-08-2011, 10:51 PM
so if mark cuban shot down a deal involving dallas, it would also be tampering ?

nickdymez
12-08-2011, 10:53 PM
This is the best thing a league commissioner has done this week by far.

And for those complaining about it saying it should go through, many many deals have been consummated by the GM's and then killed by the owners. The problem here is that really the Lakers are not giving up enough to get Chris Paul, and that's why the ownership doesn't want the deal done.

You ****in kiddin me? All-star 7ft power forward and the 6th man of the year? They want kobe too?

Dade County
12-08-2011, 10:54 PM
This way, if CP3 went to LA, then Dwight would've been quicker I think in being dealt to LA, and this whole headache of CP3 and DH12 would be over once and for all.

Get out of here.... easy for you to say.

Your team would be getting the best pg & center in the league.

small market teams would have a bigger headache.

ManRam
12-08-2011, 10:55 PM
I know you are in favor of this ...

But paul is not going to sign with another team, so if the Hornets trade him to a small market team; he will not STAY their, so these owners that blocked the trade, are just embarrassing the league.

What just happen was in no shape and form good for the league.

I know.

And that should happen when there is an owner that OWNS the team. The league shouldn't be allowing huge trades like this either way when the team is under their control. Hopefully that ends soon...I don't know what all is going on in terms of finances and ownership...but either way they league shouldn't be doing much with this team right now...not after that lockout.

C-Style
Get out of here.... easy for you to say.

Your team would be getting the best pg & center in the league.

small market teams would have a bigger headache.

What r u complaining about u already got the 2 best players in the league with a top 3 PF

Dade County
You ****in kiddin me? All-star 7ft power forward and the 6th man of the year? They want kobe too?

:laugh2:

Dade County
12-08-2011, 10:59 PM
I know.

And that should happen when there is an owner that OWNS the team. The league shouldn't be allowing huge trades like this either way when the team is under their control. Hopefully that ends soon...I don't know what all is going on in terms of finances and ownership...but either way they league shouldn't be doing much with this team right now...not after that lockout.

Then the league should not have give the Hornets management the authority to make deals...

The front office should be closed!!!!!!

And they should hold a press conference, letting everyone now that the Hornets can not make trades until a owner is found.

chuckdaily85
12-08-2011, 11:01 PM
I'm a Nets fan and I believe this utter BS. B/C Mark Cuban and other owners complaining the deal is axed. See now what's going to happen now is their gonna trade him somewhere where he is not going to re-sign so that low market teams loses b/c they traded assets for a rental player or he plays out his contract and NO gets the LBJ treatment as he leaves and they get nobody. He is still going to end up in NY or LAL regardless if he isn't money driven.

Cal827
12-08-2011, 11:03 PM
So basically, when they are struggling and want to rebuild at the end of the year... and some team gives them a very good offer (E.g. Clipper offer Aminu Bledsoe and both first rounders... just assume for this example that both teams (minnesota and Clippers) are struggling badly and both picks project to be top 5-10).. The rest of the NBA could block that deal and nullify a quicker rebuild thus saving the fans years of rebuilding and making them more appealing to a potential buyer that would keep them in NO, just because they don't want Paul to go to a loaded team... This might be a big problem in the future... as I mentioned before, this team might have to get a new owner and relocate ASAP

ManRam
12-08-2011, 11:04 PM
Then the league should not have give the Hornets management the authority to make deals...

The front office should be closed!!!!!!

And they should hold a press conference, letting everyone now that the Hornets can not make trades until a owner is found.

So you'd rather the league decide the moves unilaterally without the "owners" input than actually letting the "owners" run the team normally on their own, but stepping in when they need to because they control/fund the team? That would just create more of this conflict of interest you're so against.

That makes no sense.

Bulls_fan90
12-08-2011, 11:05 PM
You really don't udnerstand.

The league CONTROLS the team. It's not tampering, because THE LEAGUE CONTROLS THE TEAM.

The leaue does control the team and it's all perfectly legal. My question is: Who agreed to this trade in the first place? Or was there never an agreement?

EDIT: I think I understand now.

Heatcheck
12-08-2011, 11:07 PM
This is bullsh*t, this was actually a legit deal.

If they were going to step in (which i am never in favor of) It should have been in the first gasol trade which was obviously Jerry West helping his former team out by giving a premier 7footer for a book of burger king coupons and some buttons.

Neosheed
12-08-2011, 11:08 PM
Because now they will have to go through that whole Melo-drama with Dwight and will be hit with distractions for practically the entire season.

Dude DH12 is not for the last time going to LA his four choices r Chicago,MIA,LAC,or stay where he's at.yeah sure they were tradeing Paul cause he's over 30 but he's their second best player so tradeing him for cp3 is a good trade but Andrew for DH12?yeah right! Cause that's all they have left other than kobe

LanceUpperCut
12-08-2011, 11:09 PM
The NBA is so broken it's a ****ing joke now. The lock-out did nothing but cause complete chaos. Would love to see were it will be at in 5 years from now.

KnIckNy212
12-08-2011, 11:10 PM
The hornets would get Odom,Scola,K-Mart, and some draft picks in this deal What else do you want

Spiderman 1nner
12-08-2011, 11:11 PM
It's obvious that David stern is essentially going to force Paul to the knicks. Good for Chris Paul, good for the knicks, and most importantly good for the league. new York is three biggest media market and basketball has been a dying sport for quite some time now, only way to save it is to make the knicks relevant again. the only way he's not going to new York is if he ends up with the warriors or the clippers, neither of which is looking like it will happen cus the warriors don't wanna give up curry and for good reason and Paul said he won't resign with the clippers, whether the Caron butler signing will have any impact on that remains to be seen.

Dade County
12-08-2011, 11:13 PM
So you'd rather the league decide the moves unilaterally without the "owners" input than actually letting the "owners" run the team normally on their own, but stepping in when they need to because they control/fund the team? That would just create more of this conflict of interest you're so against.

That makes no sense.

Wrong! :confused:

I am saying, the league should not let the hornets even try to make deals, because if the owners have the final say so (what's the point of the hornets GM even trying)

Hornets really can't do anything to make their team better, or make moves for the future... Because the other owners will block every move.

don'tfireNedCo
12-08-2011, 11:14 PM
LA will assuredly turn its attention to Dwight Howard immediately.

and... that makes it good for the magic franchise and its fanbase? to lose the opportunity to supply your team with their elite and receive old inflated contracts that are nowhere near the value they are losing as soon as possible?

what an egocentric crowd...

clydebino
12-08-2011, 11:15 PM
Rockets caught a break on this..

Ripper Gein
12-08-2011, 11:59 PM
Per Chris Broussard "Chris Paul is not happy he has already contacted the union and will explore legal action to put this thru, will not show up to hornets camp and is acting like deal is on hold not dead". Woooo handle that **** CP3:)

Ill21
12-09-2011, 12:01 AM
Its really not a big deal. They are allowed to do it, they control the Hornets. Its not like they can do this for every team.

Wrench
12-09-2011, 12:02 AM
Ira Winderman

Remember, if you buy tickets and your team loses, simply return to box office after the game and say, "Basketball reasons" for full refund.

waveycrockett
12-09-2011, 12:02 AM
If Chris Paul isnt traded to LAL then he wont be allowed to be traded anywhere else.

Sportfan
12-09-2011, 12:03 AM
Chris Paul to the Lakers, "OH MY GAWD this is a ****ing conspiracy its a 4 team league I'm not watching NBA anymore"

Trade is vetoed: "FIRE STERN!!!! SUE NBA!!!!!"

Dade County
12-09-2011, 12:04 AM
If Chris Paul isnt traded to LAL then he wont be allowed to be traded anywhere else.

So why do the hornets even have a GM.

ldawg
12-09-2011, 12:04 AM
I am done with the nba i had enough. Had to put up with the lock out and now this BS. Why don't they kill every single trade. Last time i look the Lakers was an NbA team and has as many rights as a so called small market team. This is plain wrong. The Lakers gave up plenty to get Paul he was not given to them. So every big maket team are not allowed to make trades? wtf is this **** all about? f Stern and f the nba. Thats it no more nba pass and season tickets for me keep your over price hot dogs pizza and beer f u once again stern.

KB-Pau-DH2012
12-09-2011, 12:05 AM
So why do the hornets even have a GM.

Namesake purposes.

showtym24
12-09-2011, 12:06 AM
Really puts a black eye on the nba. No other major sports league would pull this ****. Pretty pathetic.

haggis
12-09-2011, 12:07 AM
Chris Paul to the Lakers, "OH MY GAWD this is a ****ing conspiracy its a 4 team league I'm not watching NBA anymore"

Trade is vetoed: "FIRE STERN!!!! SUE NBA!!!!!"

Pretty much sums this up.

whitemamba33
12-09-2011, 12:08 AM
Coming from a Lakers fan, i'm glad this trade didn't go through.

I'm pro-parity. I'd much rather see Paul go to a team that needs him.

I think giving up our length for a ball dominating gaurd to play alongside Kobe is a bad idea.

The problem i have: Stern should have come out right away and said the Hornets can't entertain trades. Now they've forced the Lakers to waste their time and probably tick off Odom and Gasol.

Nothing about this is professional.

sep11ie
I agree, but why didn't they veto Landy going there last year?

shep33
Okay so the Hornets by not going through with this stated that they won't trade Chris Paul...

beasted86
Stern and NBA management always had veto power over the Hornets GM's trade suggestions, but if he at all let the owners of outside NBA teams sway his decision, that is against rules.

Too bad he's never going to fine himself.

Fool
12-09-2011, 12:10 AM
it's obvious that david stern is essentially going to force paul to the knicks. Good for chris paul, good for the knicks, and most importantly good for the league.

haha what

Tony_Starks
12-09-2011, 12:13 AM
Pauls people are already saying he isn't going to report to camp, as he shouldn't. It's pretty sad and pathetic that Stern caved to pressure from the owners and allowed them to basically do his job.

My gut is that both teams will rework the deal and Stern will be forced to let it go through next time. I don't think he wants all the negative publicity associated with this debacle and that "basketball reasons" crap is almost laughable.

The fact that Mark Cuban was one of the ringleaders in this whole deal is the most absurd thing I've ever heard in my life......

shep33
So CP3 is basically forced to stay.

ayuntalo
lol @ everyone saying this is a fair deal
For NO: good, Lakers: good,
but for the rockets?? Gasol = Scola, Martin, Dragic and 1st Rd pick? thats robbery.

thats not the reason the deal got did not go through though.
those owners have a share on NO since it is NBA owned right now, so if majority of them says no, they have their right to do so. is it fair? NO. but is it their right? yes. obviously this dilemma should be fixed

shep33
12-09-2011, 12:18 AM
lol @ everyone saying this is a fair deal
For NO: good, Lakers: good,
but for the rockets?? Gasol = Scola, Martin, Dragic and 1st Rd pick? thats robbery.

thats not the reason the deal got did not go through though.
those owners have a share on NO since it is NBA owned right now, so if majority of them says no, they have their right to do so. is it fair? NO. but is it their right? yes. obviously this dilemma should be fixed

Mchale was dying for Gasol, but also the point was to clear cap space and sign someone like Nene or Marc Gasol

king4day
12-09-2011, 12:20 AM
I think the owners realize the ultimate goal was for LA to next go and get Howard. Then we have Miami/LA.

That would make the NBA lose the bulk of it's casual fans due to no competitive balance.
One thing they should have agreed on is that teams could only get one 'A' type free agent per year. Baseball has something like this. That'll stop this nonsense. I doubt this CBA lasts past the 6 year minimum it has

reffahead
12-09-2011, 12:21 AM
They had to nix this. If it went through, the Lakers would have Paul, Kobe, Metta, Walton, Blake, and fisher to start the 12-13 season.

Okay now their payroll would be 82 million. Of course they could amnesty Kobe and team option out Bynum to bring the total down to 36 million. This is more than enough to sign Dwight. Thus forcing Orlando to accept Bynum because his last year is a team option.

Depending if Paul wants to opt out of the 17.8 million and help out LA by accepting a new deal starting at 15 mill, that adds even more cap room. Not to mention Fisher has a 3.5 million dollar player option it could open up anywhere from 22 - 28 in cap space for the 2012 free agent sweep stakes.

majmarcus
12-09-2011, 12:26 AM
Where was this Veto crap when Lebron & Bosh were going to the Heat?

Smh...What was the damn lockout for??

How on earth does it make sense that something like this can even be done???

3 teams found a way to get a deal done were they were all seemingly satisfied with the results of it & this happens. Only in the NBA, lol...terrible.

So whats next? Each team can only have a certain amount of shots? Limited dunks? X amount of free throws?

I get it. A team can only win by a certain margin. If that point differential is exceeded, then that game would be considered a "No contest" therefore, voided & played at a later date. GTFOH...

Lakers4ItAll
12-09-2011, 12:28 AM
Lakers should offer the same thing to NJ for DWill instead!

Canterbury
12-09-2011, 12:30 AM
It's technically not tampering since the NBA owners technically own the Hornets, but it's absolutely ridiculous that they can veto transactions of a direct competitor no matter the technicality.

kArSoN RyDaH
12-09-2011, 12:31 AM
You should not be able to veto any trade. That's ridiculous. THey basically said, uhm no the Lakers are too good, let's veto it.

That's ********.

Marques24kobe
12-09-2011, 12:41 AM
First off its not tampering its coercion. They did this for the benefit of their teams and the league. Understandable but still is crap.

I believe 2 years ago or so the Texas Rangers were under league control as well. They not only made trades but they also took money on. Teams did have an issue with this. But still allowed to happen. That should be an example for the Players Association to make a case.

Second Lakers gave up more then enough. If anything the Rockets are getting screwed. As a Lakers fan I kept saying to myself the Lakers have to be getting another player right. They are losing both their PF and back up C. If the league stands on this, Pau is already pissed, then make the trade with the Rockets for just Pau. That would be a steal for the Lakers. At worst you have better trade pieces.

Third I think this is just another ploy for Stern. He doesnt want to look bad by allowing this to happen with the Hornets being under league control. And after enough backlash it will go through. Stern is an ego maniac. Constantly trying to look great yet everyone sees through him. In actuality making himself look even stupider. You cant allow this to happen three times last year and now take a stance. Also we have been hearing rumors for a week now. Some how the NBA didnt. If they did and this was their feeling you call up NO immediately and say as of now you can not make a trade due to being under league control. I liken this to asking your wife if you can do something, shes says no problem you deserve it and after you do it she is pissed to the max and you have no clue why because she encouraged you the whole way.. And married guys you know what Im talking about.

This is just another display as to why the NBA is so messed up. I was just about ready to buy some Bucks Lakers tickets because of this glad I waited a whole 10 minutes.

Marques24kobe
12-09-2011, 12:44 AM
I thought vetoing was only allowed in Fantasy Sports, then again it is Sterns fantasy league.

gotoHcarolina52
12-09-2011, 12:50 AM
A package of Gasol, Odom and Bynum will get the deal done. No way the league can veto that one with a straight face.

Shmontaine
12-09-2011, 12:53 AM
UMMM.. why is it so hard to understand why this wasn't going to go through... here's a little background for you all...

http://www.slamonline.com/online/nba/2011/02/mark-cuban-is-unhappy-with-nba-over-trade/

The Hornets/Kings swap of Carl Landry and Marcus Thorton does not sit well with the Mavs’ owner. He thinks the NBA-backed Hornets had an unfair advantage in the deal. From NBA.com: “Mavericks owner Mark Cuban isn’t too happy with the league-owned and funded New Orleans Hornets taking back salary and sending cash in today’s trade for Sacramento forward Carl Landry. That a franchise previously on such shaky financial ground that it needed an NBA bailout earlier this season actually increased its payroll greatly irritated Cuban. ‘That’s just wrong. That’s just wrong. That’s just absolutely, positively wrong,’ an incredulous Cuban said. ‘I’ll probably go against the grain from everybody else, but that is so far wrong that it’s not even close. There’s so few teams in the league that can afford to do that and yet we’re allowing a team that’s owned by the league to do that?’ New Orleans sent the Kings second-year guard Marcus Thornton and cash considerations for Landry, who’s in the last year of his contract making $3 million. Thornton, also in the last year, is on the books for $762,195. (New Orleans, which is over the salary cap, was able to fit Landry into a trade exception.) The Hornets’ payroll went up about $2.24 million, though that difference is prorated for the remainder of the season. That increase plus the cash paid to Sacramento clearly upset Cuban, a consistent luxury tax payer. New Orleans is also a Southwest Division rival of Dallas and potential first-round playoff opponent. Asked if there was any recourse with the league, Cuban said: ‘What am I gonna do? That’s wrong. Beyond wrong.’”

https://twitter.com/wojyahoonba

Besides Luis Scola, Kevin Martin, Lamar Odom and Goran Dragic, Hornets will also receive a draft pick from Houston, source says.

so, here it is...

http://www.hoopsworld.com/new-orleans-hornets-team-salary/
http://www.hoopsworld.com/houston-rockets-team-salary/
http://www.hoopsworld.com/los-angeles-lakers-team-salary/

hornets are losing 16 mill in contracts and gaining 31 million in contracts... their payroll is increasing by 15 million dollars on a team that is funded by the rest of the owners... and you guys are surprised that there would be owners upset over having to pay an extra 16 million in salary for team that is losing money and can't get an owner to buy it?? you guys are f'n crazy... i'm positive if this was a chris paul to the lakers for pau straight up, it would be done... but there's just way too much money going to NO, who is funded by the rest of the owners... this is why the deal fell through...

jetsforever
12-09-2011, 12:57 AM
Wow. Looks like the trade committee like we have on PSD games has joined professional sports.

Hellcrooner
12-09-2011, 01:05 AM
UMMM.. why is it so hard to understand why this wasn't going to go through... here's a little background for you all...

http://www.slamonline.com/online/nba/2011/02/mark-cuban-is-unhappy-with-nba-over-trade/

https://twitter.com/wojyahoonba

so, here it is...

http://www.hoopsworld.com/new-orleans-hornets-team-salary/
http://www.hoopsworld.com/houston-rockets-team-salary/
http://www.hoopsworld.com/los-angeles-lakers-team-salary/

hornets are losing 16 mill in contracts and gaining 31 million in contracts... their payroll is increasing by 15 million dollars on a team that is funded by the rest of the owners... and you guys are surprised that there would be owners upset over having to pay an extra 16 million in salary for team that is losing money and can't get an owner to buy it?? you guys are f'n crazy... i'm positive if this was a chris paul to the lakers for pau straight up, it would be done... but there's just way too much money going to NO, who is funded by the rest of the owners... this is why the deal fell through...

add okafor goin lakers way.

cuban will still block.

why?

Because he is a COWARD and fears not being able to repeat his ring.

Hellcrooner
12-09-2011, 01:06 AM
Wow. Looks like the trade committee like we have on PSD games has joined professional sports.

and it sucks even more.

MFFL==FML
12-09-2011, 01:13 AM

cuban will still block.

why?

Cuban may or may not, but that hypothetical is irrelevant to the 3-team trade that was killed. The Lakers could not want Okafor for all you know... so stop assuming please. Don't let hate blind you.

USMCLaker
12-09-2011, 01:15 AM
Coming from a Lakers fan, i'm glad this trade didn't go through.

I'm pro-parity. I'd much rather see Paul go to a team that needs him.

I think giving up our length for a ball dominating gaurd to play alongside Kobe is a bad idea.

The problem i have: Stern should have come out right away and said the Hornets can't entertain trades. Now they've forced the Lakers to waste their time and probably tick off Odom and Gasol.

Nothing about this is professional.

I agree with everything you said. For those that say the league favors the Lakers have to start coming up with something new.

MFFL==FML
12-09-2011, 01:20 AM

cuban will still block.

why?

Also wanted to add, Okafor contract still wouldn't match the salaries... still more than 2 mil difference. So even if your hypothetical comes true, it still doesn't match up and Cuban and all the other owners still have a point. It's not your money, so of course you don't care that the owners are stuck with the bill...