PDA

View Full Version : Billups trying to go to the Heat

iggypop123
12-08-2011, 05:17 PM
He will be likely amnestied. if he does his agent is telling teams dont dare bid it wont end well. wants to go to the heat

https://twitter.com/#!/ZachLowe_SI/status/144887592083668992

and many more sources

Joshtd1
Shocker

kozelkid
Definitely one of my worst fears.

Cal827
12-08-2011, 05:18 PM
:laugh: I said this in the Knick getting Chandler thread.

SteBO
Not shocked at all....And if we do get him, it'd be a dream come true for the Heat

KB-Pau-DH2012
Doing this out of spite I'm assuming as well so that the Heat can get back at the Knicks.

GhostfaceDrilla
LOL at these players teaming up with superstars. So glad to know that Dirk won without trying to team up with superstars.

RevisIsland
Wouldn't be surprised if the Knicks held off on a Chandler deal until they could find a trade partner then, they don't want to help Miami.

Canterbury
12-08-2011, 05:19 PM
Does Pat Riley still get credit?

Kashmir13579
I think the Heat would be better off with more of a distributer, but Billups if he's healthy is nothing to stick your nose up at. This would definitely make the Heat more dangerous.

what54!?
the heat want you too Billups.

Come to the heat :pray:

Get that Tyson Chandler deal done Knicks :pray:

nickdymez
LOL at these players teaming up with superstars. So glad to know that Dirk won without trying to team up with superstars.

Real talk..

RevisIsland
12-08-2011, 05:20 PM

Gotta give credit where credit is due, Dirk did it the right way

Cal827
Does Pat Riley still get credit?

Pat Riley gets credit for everything. Hell, I'm pretty sure he gets credit for the creation of the world.

Iggz53
...and this is why the amnesty clause is almost useless.

devilsheat25
0% chance it actually happens.

GhostfaceDrilla
Wouldn't be surprised if the Knicks held off on a Chandler deal until they could find a trade partner then, they don't want to help Miami.

Maybe a sign and trade with Dallas? Billups for TC?

tcav701
Knowing thats where he wants to go, why wouldnt teams block it?

What a dumb ****ing move by his agent.

Kashmir13579

yeah but he had a stacked roster, too. All championship teams are stacked.

kozelkid
I think the Heat would be better of with more of a distributer, but Billups if he's healthy is nothing to stick your nose up at. This would definitely make the Heat more dangerous.

Why would the Heat need another distributor, they already have arguably the two best wing distributors in Wade and Lebron. They need someone who can play off the ball and spread the floor (i.e. Billups).

dnewguy
12-08-2011, 05:21 PM
I haven't prayed in a long time, I prayed about 2 hours ago when the Chandler story broke. PLEASE sign him NY.

Wade>You
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvvDj2fnKoQ#t=13s

what54!?
I think the Heat would be better off with more of a distributer, but Billups if he's healthy is nothing to stick your nose up at. This would definitely make the Heat more dangerous.

The heat have Dwyane Wade and Lebron James

Baller1
12-08-2011, 05:22 PM
At this pace, the Thunder aren't even going to be contenders this year. :laugh:

Cal827
I haven't prayed in a long time, I prayed about 2 hours ago when the Chandler story broke. PLEASE sign him NY.

:laugh2:

dnewguy
Gotta give credit where credit is due, Dirk did it the right way

Yea, all Dirk even though he shot worse than Terry and Barea.....and he's one of their worst defenders...but he gets the credit. LMAO

B'sCeltsPatsSox
Is the process like waivers and it'll go by record from worse to first? Billups' say probably wouldn't have a much of a factor in this and teams before the Heat will place a bid or a claim or whatever it is.

tcav701
12-08-2011, 05:23 PM
I cant get over how dumb of a comment this is.

Now teams that werent interested will bid to block him from the Heat.

Jarvo
Buckle Your Seatsbelt EVERYONE NBA Free Agency Gonna Be Crazy af

GhostfaceDrilla
Yea, all Dirk even though he shot worse than Terry and Barea.....and he's one of their worst defenders...but he gets the credit. LMAO

Are you ****ing kidding me? You have got to be the worst poster in the history of sports forums.

Rivera
12-08-2011, 05:24 PM
It would be a perfect match for the heat and there fans if billups goes there

Kashmir13579
12-08-2011, 05:24 PM
The heat have Dwyane Wade and Lebron James

And i saw them standing around looking at each other in isos quite a bit

what54!?
12-08-2011, 05:25 PM
Is the process like waivers and it'll go by record from worse to first? Billups' say probably wouldn't have a much of a factor in this.

yea thats what I'm afraid of. the heat are pretty low on the totem pole......

tcav701
Are you ****ing kidding me? You have got to be the worst poster in the history of sports forums.

Him and justinm compete daily for the worst poster on PSD title.

FederalReserve was in the hunt but after his ban its a 2 horse race.

Wade>You
Buckle Your Seatsbelt EVERYONE NBA Free Agency Gonna Be Crazy afThe day started off with Grant Hill going to the Knicks. Look where we're at now. :ohno:

what54!?
12-08-2011, 05:26 PM
And i saw them standing around looking at each other in isos quite a bit.....The ball is gonna be in one their hands most of the time...

GhostfaceDrilla
12-08-2011, 05:27 PM

He still thinks Miami won last year and probably thinks Joel Anthony > Michael Jordan.

Heediot
They need him in the 4th quarter of the finals. Proven clutch playoff performer (you can say the same about Wade but it doesn't hurt to add Billups). Match made in heaven.

PhillyFaninLA

Losers think I won't do this because it will help them.

Winners and those striving to do anything and everything to get better ask will this make us better and that is all that matters.

JordansBulls
12-08-2011, 05:28 PM

Upset the two teams that were the favorites all year without HCA and who had multiple allstars, better record, higher SRS rating, better point differential, better offensive and defensive rating and with 3 guys out as well.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
12-08-2011, 05:28 PM
At this pace, the Thunder aren't even going to be contenders this year. :laugh:

nba is really ****ed though, cant win if you cant spend.

TheKnight
12-08-2011, 05:29 PM
Well if he does and the Heat don't win it all its rather halrious.

dtmagnet
"Don;t dare bid" sorry it doesn't work that way, you don't just get whatever you want.

Cal827

lol I don't know, I think the guy I've quoted in my sig is also a contender. or Pinnacle Flash, or Reke Havoc, or Cal827... wait a minute...

Pierzynski4Prez
12-08-2011, 05:30 PM
Well Chauncey, get ready for disappointment. No way 28 teams pass on you.

Cal827
Also, I thought it was based on cap space on who could make a bid first... I would think a team like OKC would thrive in the bidding since they are contenders and under the cap.

If it's record based... anybody you have rumored to join Miami... expect to see them in Cleveland as Gilbert continues to ruin the team in order to get in Lebrons way lol

John Walls Era

Yes Dirk won without any current all stars, but the Mavs team is still quality imo; bunch of vets that use to be great and they were still way over the cap.

But props to Dirk for doing it that way instead of teaming up with another superstar.

Corey
12-08-2011, 05:31 PM
A team will still claim him.

Wade>You
12-08-2011, 05:32 PM
Well Chauncey, get ready for disappointment. No way 28 teams pass on you.Only teams under the cap can bid. There's a still a possibility he'll get picked up, but depends if a team wants to bid on him, and there's plenty of teams looking to use their cap space somewhere else. I'm sure some team will bid the vet minimum on him though, just for the ---- of it.

GhostfaceDrilla
Upset the two teams that were the favorites all year without HCA and who had multiple allstars, better record, higher SRS rating, better point differential, better offensive and defensive rating and with 3 guys out as well.

Not to mention one of the greatest postseason runs ever and scored 62 points in the fourth quarter in the Finals to win the championship.

Shall we tell dnew what LeBron did?

IBleedPurple
Stop the madness

knicks=love
billups on the heat makes no sense at all. he's not a distributor and will be on the same team as lebron and wade, who want the ball in THEIR hands. billups would be useless.

Pierzynski4Prez
12-08-2011, 05:33 PM
I cant get over how dumb of a comment this is.

Now teams that werent interested will bid to block him from the Heat.

Exactly. Especially if he were to get past the non-contending teams. None of the other contenders who go ahead of Miami (everybody but Dallas I would think is how it works for now) would let him just slide by to miami.

GhostfaceDrilla
12-08-2011, 05:33 PM
Yes Dirk won without any current all stars, but the Mavs team is still quality imo; bunch of vets that use to be great and they were still way over the cap.

But props to Dirk for doing it that way instead of teaming up with another superstar.

Oh yeah, we had the best TEAM in the NBA as well. I'm just glad Dirk didn't team up with a LeBron or a Kobe or a Howard to win. He very well could get Howard or D Will next year. We'll just have to wait.

Heediot
12-08-2011, 05:34 PM
Only teams under the cap can bid. There's a still a possibility he'll get picked up, but depends if a team wants to bid on him, and there's plenty of teams looking to use their cap space somewhere else. I'm sure some team will bid the vet minimum on him though, just for the ---- of it.

If I were in the east, I'd bid on him just to block him from going to Miami. If he doesn't like it he can retire, which in turns sacrifices his former salary with the Knicks lol.

Baller1
nba is really ****ed though, cant win if you cant spend.

It is. It's starting to look like there will be 3-5 contenders for the next ****ing decade.

Shmontaine
what can billups do here in this situation???

not join the team that wins the bid on him?? would he still get paid his amnesty if he failed to report. wouldn't he be essentially retiring for a year or something to that effect??

i don't know if these particulars are available on the amnesty clause, but now i'm interested to know...

it's the dream scenario for the heat....

kozelkid
I bet Cleveland claims him. :laugh:

justinnum1
Holy ****!!! didnt see this one

i dont see it happening but if it did :)

Pierzynski4Prez
12-08-2011, 05:35 PM
Only teams under the cap can bid. There's a still a possibility he'll get picked up, but depends if a team wants to bid on him, and there's plenty of teams looking to use their cap space somewhere else. I'm sure some team will bid the vet minimum on him though, just for the ---- of it.

Based on all the criteria of the bidding system and the heat's cap situation, the heat would be the 2nd to last team to have a chance I believe. Highly doubtful he is around.

MJ-BULLS
12-08-2011, 05:36 PM
There is no way that he will end up going to Miami. The new amnesty clause keeps players from wanting to go to their preferred destination.

Big Zo
12-08-2011, 05:37 PM
Well if he does and the Heat don't win it all its rather halrious.

Your spelling is what's hilarious. :p

sjbirds
12-08-2011, 05:38 PM
i thought the amnesty clause made the person bought out a free agent...

CousinsEvansDUO
12-08-2011, 05:38 PM
Not to mention one of the greatest postseason runs ever and scored 62 points in the fourth quarter in the Finals to win the championship.

Shall we tell dnew what LeBron did?

Wow you mavs fans are just ridiculous. Obviously Dirk scored 62 points in the 4th quarter..who couldn't when your 7ft tall and Joel Anthony is sleeping on you? lebron did all he could when it came down to the mavs just made the smarter decisions to correctly double team him and stop him from scoring. the truth is that dirk is not that good.. that is why the heat didn't double team him as much and allowed him to score. this year it will be different and dirk will be completely locked out.

mttwlsn16
12-08-2011, 05:39 PM
wtf

John Walls Era
12-08-2011, 05:39 PM
So what if Billups gets claimed by a team that he doesn't wanna play for? Can't he demand a buy out?

Shmontaine
12-08-2011, 05:40 PM

you thought wrong... it's similar to the nfl waiver wire system.. teams under the cap get first dibs at the amnestied... if said players clears all teams under the cap, he can sign with whomever he wants...

Cal827
Wow you mavs fans are just ridiculous. Obviously Dirk scored 62 points in the 4th quarter..who couldn't when your 7ft tall and Joel Anthony is sleeping on you? lebron did all he could when it came down to the mavs just made the smarter decisions to correctly double team him and stop him from scoring. the truth is that dirk is not that good.. that is why the heat didn't double team him as much and allowed him to score. this year it will be different and dirk will be completely locked out. let's see how you do when you got more than a 35 year garbage center defending you.

case in point... Thanks for the extra proof :clap: lol

Canterbury
So Chauncy is threatening that he wont play for the teams that bid on him unless it's the Heat? Characterrrrr.

GhostfaceDrilla
Wow you mavs fans are just ridiculous. Obviously Dirk scored 62 points in the 4th quarter..who couldn't when your 7ft tall and Joel Anthony is sleeping on you? lebron did all he could when it came down to the mavs just made the smarter decisions to correctly double team him and stop him from scoring. the truth is that dirk is not that good.. that is why the heat didn't double team him as much and allowed him to score. this year it will be different and dirk will be completely locked out.

WOW this just shows how much of an idiot you are. Dirk is not that good? A top 20 player of all time is not that good?

TheDetroitBlue
12-08-2011, 05:41 PM

Except chauncy already did win it in 2004....

D Roses Bulls
The Bulls would NEVER let this happen. Billups can come and back up Rose before he would ever get to go to Miami

daleja424

haha...only b/c no one called him.

He said himself he would have taken a hard look at leaving Dallas is anyone would have called him up and discussed forming a super team...

Pierzynski4Prez

its similar to when a nfl player is released mid season. They have to clear waivers 1st, starting with the worst teams.

king4day
12-08-2011, 05:42 PM

I thoght they needed to trade Billups in order to make the Chanlder deal work. Guess not. But trading Billups is possible.

Shmontaine
So what if Billups gets claimed by a team that he doesn't wanna play for? Can't he demand a buy out?

this what i want clarification on... i think he can pout and play poorly, but i don't think think he gets paid if he fails to report... pretty f'n weak of a move if you ask me...

it may all be a ploy to give new york pause in amnestying him, i don't know...

we don't even know how healthy he is these days, his season ended with a knee injury... a non-contact knee injury if i remember correctly.. not a good sign...

Cal827
WOW this just shows how much of an idiot you are. Dirk is not that good? A top 20 player of all time is not that good?

Don't say I didn't warn ya.

Also... on the point.. can't Billups just refuse to play wherever he's claimed. I mean he's getting the guaranteed 13 mill or so that he resigned to if I'm not mistaken. That's what made me think that the contenders are just going to get stronger... cause some of these guys who will be anmestied will be making a ton (e.g Davis, Jefferson) whether or not they are playing for someone, so they would likely force their ways to contenders.

JordansBulls
12-08-2011, 05:43 PM
Except chauncy already did win it in 2004....

He wasn't even an allstar that year, Ben Wallace was.

dhopisthename
12-08-2011, 05:43 PM
its similar to when a nfl player is released mid season. They have to clear waivers 1st, starting with the worst teams.

I could be wrong but I am pretty sure it is only valid for teams under the cap. and if you are over it is all equal. now if more then 1 claims then it is whoever offers the most

Shmontaine
12-08-2011, 05:45 PM
The Bulls would NEVER let this happen. Billups can come and back up Rose before he would ever get to go to Miami

don't think bulls would have a choice

I could be wrong but I am pretty sure it is only valid for teams under the cap. and if you are over it is all equal. now if more then 1 claims then it is whoever offers the most

because of this....

Heediot
Don't say I didn't warn ya.

Also... on the point.. can't Billups just refuse to play wherever he's claimed. I mean he's getting the guaranteed 13 mill or so that he resigned to if I'm not mistaken. That's what made me think that the contenders are just going to get stronger... cause some of these guys who will be anmestied will be making a ton (e.g Davis, Jefferson) whether or not they are playing for someone, so they would likely force their ways to contenders.

If he chooses not to report or retire he loses his Knicks salary by the day or all if he quits.

shizzle09
Real talk..

lmfao, says the laker fan?

kozelkid
12-08-2011, 05:46 PM

Wtf do Bulls have ANYTHING to do with this. It's for teams UNDER the cap (i.e. not the Bulls, nor the Heat, Magic, Lakers, Grizzlies, Spurs, Mavericks and any other team I might have forgotten).

Pierzynski4Prez

You could be right. I'm not really fully sure how it works. But with Miami adding battier at the MLE I assume, all a team would do is offer 1 dollar over the vet minimum to outbid Miami since that is all they'll have left.

Da Knicks
lol I don't know, I think the guy I've quoted in my sig is also a contender. or Pinnacle Flash, or Reke Havoc, or Cal827... wait a minute...

lmao you beat me to it.:D

Shmontaine

i also think it's the amnestied teams discretion (NY in this case) which bid to accept, since they would be paying the remainder..

ie, if toronto and cle both bid, but toronto's is higher, the knicks could just take clevelands offer and pay the difference, even though it wasn't' the highest bid...

D Roses Bulls
12-08-2011, 05:47 PM
don't think bulls would have a choice

because of this....

yeah, could be right, but I don't see a team like cleveland letting this happen either, but we'll see.

dhopisthename
12-08-2011, 05:50 PM
i also think it's the amnestied teams discretion (NY in this case) which bid to accept, since they would be paying the remainder..

ie, if toronto and cle both bid, but toronto's is higher, the knicks could just take clevelands offer and pay the difference, even though it wasn't' the highest bid...

I am not sure they ever really decided how it was going to work ie what is better a 2 year 3 year per or a 3 year 2 per so six either way who gets who

DLeeicious
12-08-2011, 05:50 PM
lol at this "dare" like that will stop a team from claiming/bidding on him. A nice attempt to get around the new rules. Next CBA if they allow an amnesty clause they need to have a rider attached that no dares from agents are allowed. What a joke and a half this whole situation is.

Reminds me a little of Pritchards letter about Darius Miles a few years back. That worked out nicely.

Cal827
12-08-2011, 05:51 PM
If he chooses not to report or retire he loses his Knicks salary by the day or all if he quits.

Oh ok, thanks for clearing that up. I'm curious though, what if an Amnestied guy stays a FA, I guess they would collect as long as they don't retire?

RCarlson85

Yeah because Chandler, Terry, Marion, and Kidd are nobodys.

therealwd27
You could be right. I'm not really fully sure how it works. But with Miami adding battier at the MLE I assume, all a team would do is offer 1 dollar over the vet minimum to outbid Miami since that is all they'll have left.

Not true. Battier took 3mil per year. And heat aren't over cap they are close but not yet. Only teams under the cap can bid and if he goes unclaimed he can sin where ever

Baller1
12-08-2011, 05:52 PM
I feel like I'm living in 2k12.

Shmontaine
12-08-2011, 05:53 PM
I am not sure they ever really decided how it was going to work ie what is better a 2 year 3 year per or a 3 year 2 per so six either way who gets who

i think the bid on the players is the per year payment towards the amnestied contract...

Pierzynski4Prez
12-08-2011, 05:53 PM
Not true. Battier took 3mil per year. And heat aren't over cap they are close but not yet. Only teams under the cap can bid and if he goes unclaimed he can sin where ever

You should do a little research before you make comments that aren't true. That is unless the cap is above 65 million. Which its not.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/miami-heat-team-salary/

-Kobe24-TJ19-
12-08-2011, 05:55 PM

so they didnt double team Dirk and let him to win a championship....great logic there:rolleyes:

therealwd27
And Miami has the vet min every team does. They would have to offer more then 3 mil per year for Billups. Every one is saying the cavs but they have sessions Davis and Irving they don't need another pg. the bulls can not sign him either they are in luxury tax and still need room for a Sg. And if Billups has to pick you think he wants to be a backup??in Miami he starts. He can forgo his salary I believe and sign where ever he wants

Vincent
Billups is a really good fit for Miami.

This is a realllllly dangerous time for the league.

Pierzynski4Prez

They aren't exactly "in their prime" superstars. Kidd is 38, Marion 33, and Terry is 34.

therealwd27
12-08-2011, 05:57 PM
You should do a little research before you make comments that aren't true. That is unless the cap is above 65 million. Which its not.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/miami-heat-team-salary/

James Jones opted out, Big Z retired. So maybe you should as well.

Shmontaine
12-08-2011, 05:58 PM
And Miami has the vet min every team does. They would have to offer more then 3 mil per year for Billups. Every one is saying the cavs but they have sessions Davis and Irving they don't need another pg. the bulls can not sign him either they are in luxury tax and still need room for a Sg. And if Billups has to pick you think he wants to be a backup??in Miami he starts. He can forgo his salary I believe and sign where ever he wants

if he's claimed by a team under the cap, there's no 'picking'... and you can bet that a team will put a million dollar bid on him, and you can bet the knicks will accept it to keep him from going to the heat...

no, the team who wins the bid will hold his rights... what league are you in??? could howard just forego his salary and play with the heat?? no... could anyone?? no.. nice try though

therealwd27
12-08-2011, 05:59 PM
The heat are right at salary cap but they still can amnesty miller. They haven't decided

therealwd27
12-08-2011, 06:00 PM
if he's claimed by a team under the cap, there's no 'picking'... and you can bet that a team will put a million dollar bid on him, and you can bet the knicks will accept it to keep him from going to the heat...

no, the team who wins the bid will hold his rights... what league are you in??? could howard just forego his salary and play with the heat?? no... could anyone?? no.. nice try though

Do you know how a contract works? It has to be signed. If Billups doesn't want to play somewhere he doesn't have to

Shmontaine

the salary cap is 58 mill... you still need to do more research...

sep11ie
How can he tell people "don't dare bid, it won't end well"? **** you Chauncey, heat are at the bottom of the waiver list.

Shmontaine
12-08-2011, 06:01 PM
Do you know how a contract works? It has to be signed. If Billups doesn't want to play somewhere he doesn't have to

you don't know what you're talking about...

it's similar to a trade, the player can report to the team, or retire... if he comes back into the league, the previous team will hold his rights....

you are very new to this, i can tell...

justinnum1
12-08-2011, 06:02 PM
The heat are right at salary cap but they still can amnesty miller. They haven't decided

even if we amnesty miller, we are over the cap.

Vincent

That's only 2.6 million... Without adding Shane Battier and Eddy Curry and Noris Cole.

Unless they amnesty Mike Miller and dont' even offer Mario and Cole a contract... they might have 1 million to work with. But even then, any team under the cap can outbid them.

Cal827
lmao you beat me to it.:D

:laugh:

GhostfaceDrilla
12-08-2011, 06:03 PM

Are they LeBron? Wade? Howard? Kobe? Paul? Gasol?

Shmontaine
12-08-2011, 06:03 PM

the entire contract doesn't come off the books and a portion will still count towards the cap...

how's that research going???

therealwd27
12-08-2011, 06:06 PM
the salary cap is 58 mill... you still need to do more research...

You must be a bulls fan lol good playoff run huh?...luxury tax 70mil. You can go over as long as you don't exceed luxury

Shmontaine
12-08-2011, 06:08 PM
You must be a bulls fan lol good playoff run huh?...luxury tax 70mil. You can go over as long as you don't exceed luxury

you're 100% correct... however, only teams UNDER THE CAP will get the opportunity to BID ON AMNESTIED PLAYERS... btw, you can over the luxury tax too...

research is your friend...

therealwd27
12-08-2011, 06:09 PM
A portion yes, but if a team bids 3 mil for miller heat pay difference the more teams bid the less heat pay.

P Styles
12-08-2011, 06:11 PM
If billups gets amnestied , teams under the cap bid on him. Highest bid wins.

He really doesn't have a choice in where he's going to go unless no one bids. That's my understanding at least.

Also, would imagine that nyk will try to avoid using the amnesty on billups. If they were gonna amnesty him they should've never picked up his option. Way to waste 14 million

The Flash
12-08-2011, 06:14 PM
are u guys fighting and jumping to conclusions over speculations? I guess you are...

Kevj77
12-08-2011, 06:15 PM
the entire contract doesn't come off the books and a portion will still count towards the cap...

how's that research going???I thought that was up to the team? If they amnesty a player his contract doesn't count against the cap unless they want it too, then they can count 85% of the contract against the cap. This is for teams that want to amnesty players, but are worried about the cap floor. At least that is what I thought.

Shmontaine
A portion yes, but if a team bids 3 mil for miller heat pay difference the more teams bid the less heat pay.

okay, nice logic...

billups will clear waivers and sign with the heat for min, but a team will bid 3 mil for miller when nobody wants him...

miller will most likely clear waivers, being currently injured and under performing last year... leaving the heat with the full 20% of his contract on their books... then any team can sign him for min...

JNA17

go away, just go the **** away. You make heat fans...no you make sports forums look bad. Just GTFO.

Dade County
Couldn't Billups ask to be bought out? ... whatever

HEAT get them all discounted " Can't wait for tomorrow "... lol

justinnum1
12-08-2011, 06:16 PM
MAybe den does him a favor, gets him, and then buys him out.

Shmontaine
12-08-2011, 06:16 PM
I thought that was up to the team? If they amnesty a player his contract doesn't count against the cap unless they want it too, then they can count 85% of the contract against the cap. This is for teams that want to amnesty players, but are worried about the cap floor. At least that is what I thought.

my understanding of it is that it's cap relief and not complete elimination... 20% of the contract will still count against the teams cap for the duration of the amnestied contract.

justinnum1
12-08-2011, 06:19 PM
When you amnesty ALL the money is off from the cap. Team owes the player that money unless a team UNDER THE CAP bids, they then owe the player that much, and the original team subtracts the bid from the original amount...

exp

miller 5m

GS offers 2mil

miami then owes miller 3 mil, but all 5mil comes off towards the cap

Kevj77
12-08-2011, 06:22 PM
When you amnesty ALL the money is off from the cap. Team owes the player that money unless a team UNDER THE CAP bids, they then owe the player that much, and the original team subtracts the bid from the original amount...

exp

miller 5m

GS offers 2mil

miami then owes miller 3 mil, but all 5mil comes off towards the capThat is how I understood it, unless they want to count it for cap purposes to reach the new cap floor then they can count 85% against the cap.

Heediot
12-08-2011, 06:25 PM
Oh ok, thanks for clearing that up. I'm curious though, what if an Amnestied guy stays a FA, I guess they would collect as long as they don't retire?

Yeah as long as you don't file your retirement papers before your amnestied contract expires, your good.

theheatles
12-08-2011, 06:28 PM
Game over!

justinnum1
12-08-2011, 06:28 PM
Game over!

Going to be nearly impossible to get him. But he would be a great fit.

Heediot
12-08-2011, 06:29 PM
MAybe den does him a favor, gets him, and then buys him out.

Not with Kroenke. Dude is cheaper than Chinese plastic.

Nycbball08
12-08-2011, 06:34 PM
It's not yet clear whether or not the Knicks will trade or amnesty cb
So he may not end up on the heat..

KnickaBocka.44
12-08-2011, 06:37 PM
It's not yet clear whether or not the Knicks will trade or amnesty cb
So he may not end up on the heat..

Mavs aren't interested in taking back his salary so Knicks only move is to use amnesty to clear the cap space necessary to sign Chandler.

TheNumber37
12-08-2011, 06:38 PM
please no Billups. don't go to the dark side and bring credibility to the heat. they really need the leadership, shooting, experience and big shot maker. go to the clips or something. please no 2 time MVP, 2 time finals MVP team

NYKnicks4511
12-08-2011, 06:40 PM
...and this is why the amnesty clause is almost useless.

Uh... no...

Hawkeye15
**** you Billups. Seriously. These players today are so spoiled its ridiculous.

Nycbball08
Last I read mavs and knicks were in serious trade talks...

TO Rapz
12-08-2011, 06:43 PM

Greatest post in PSD history. :laugh:

NYKnicks4511
12-08-2011, 06:45 PM
I don't see why the Knicks are being so kind to Billups, I mean the guy has been traded a lot but he's still a millionaire, and now he wants to join the opposition while he's still on the team technically?

Screw that guy, trade his *** to a cellar-dweller for a pick.

MLB2K10King
12-08-2011, 06:49 PM

I don't mean to burst your bubble but Dirk is easily one of the Top ten players in the NBA. He is also one of the greatest scoring Big Men in NBA History. When he's on he's virtually un guardable (Pardon the spelling errors). He won that championship because A. He Deserved it, B. Lebron James didn't come through when he should have. C. The Heat Imploded. And Four no matter how much it bugs you heat fans The Mav's were the better team. They went home with the Gold, and the Heat did not. You should be mad at Lebron. Wade and Bosh came to play for the entire game, lebron went on a lunch break in the fourth quarter for every game of that series.

Dade County
12-08-2011, 06:49 PM
**** you Billups. Seriously. These players today are so spoiled its ridiculous.

calm down... He is at the tail end of his career, he signed with Denver as we all know, then they traded him... He stayed professional (even though he wanted to stay in denver)... Now NY might amnesty him.

Lets see how it plays out.

MLB2K10King
12-08-2011, 06:51 PM
He wasn't even an allstar that year, Ben Wallace was.

You're right but he was the Finals MVP

SteBO
12-08-2011, 06:51 PM
I don't see why the Knicks are being so kind to Billups, I mean the guy has been traded a lot but he's still a millionaire, and now he wants to join the opposition while he's still on the team technically?

Screw that guy, trade his *** to a cellar-dweller for a pick.
The Knicks are being kind by amnestying him? If they were kind, they wouldn't have even entertained the notion of doing so. Or I might be misunderstanding what you're saying.

AllBall
12-08-2011, 06:52 PM
calm down... He is at the tail end of his career, he signed with Denver as we all know, then they traded him... He stayed professional (even though he wanted to stay in denver)... Now NY might amnesty him.

Lets see how it plays out.

Seriously. First Denver screws him over (although they apologized and where forced by Melo) and now NY is doing the same. A guy can only take so much.

Mr.Wiskers
12-08-2011, 06:53 PM
Nothing we can do once he's amnestied, but if i'm any of the teams above the Heat I'm getting him and then flipping him to the Heat for at least 2 second round picks, if not he can fail to report and not get paid.

Mr.Wiskers
12-08-2011, 06:57 PM
The funniest thing about this is if Amare gets dealt for CP3.

justinnum1
12-08-2011, 07:00 PM
The funniest thing about this is if Amare gets dealt for CP3.

CP3 was just dealt to the lakers

Gram
12-08-2011, 07:22 PM

LOL at you only talking about Dallas and Dirk in every thread.

KnicksorBust
12-08-2011, 07:29 PM
Wow Billups spacing the floor for LeBron-Wade. Great fit. A real shooter at the 1 spot with some experience. He'll be Fisher on steriods.

Delrayhc
12-08-2011, 07:42 PM
He still thinks Miami won last year and probably thinks Joel Anthony > Michael Jordan.

You LOVE the heat

Canterbury
12-08-2011, 07:45 PM
You LOVE the heat

You're suppose to capitalize HEAT, not love. Get it right.

Dade County
12-08-2011, 07:49 PM

:laugh2: :laugh: :nod:

Delrayhc
12-08-2011, 08:16 PM

You LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE the heat as well.

sb123
12-08-2011, 08:18 PM
Billups does nothing for the Heat's problems.

Can't defend PG.
Does nothing at the C position.

THE MTL
12-08-2011, 08:19 PM
Billups never wanted to be a Knick anyway.

Heatcheck
12-08-2011, 08:20 PM

Dirk said he would have been out the door if Wade and Lebron would have asked him to join them. Then again its easy to stay put when your already in a big market with an owner who can afford to hemorage money to win a championship

Heatcheck
12-08-2011, 08:21 PM
Billups never wanted to be a Knick anyway.

might want to change that sig right about now

KaganRS
12-08-2011, 08:21 PM

Can't defend PG.

he can't defend ?!? what planet are you on ?

Dade County
12-08-2011, 08:23 PM

Can't defend PG.

You know we had bibby on rose sometime right? And when the 4th quarter starts, Wade/Lbj lock down!

justinnum1
12-08-2011, 08:24 PM
You know we had bibby on rose sometime right? And when the 4th quarter starts, Wade/Lbj lock down!

seriously, bibby actually played decent d on rondo and rose surprisingly

TylerSL
12-08-2011, 08:35 PM
Man, if we keep Chalmers and Jones then hell yea

PG.Billups/Chalmers/Cole/House
SG.Wade/Miller
SF.Lebron/Battier/Jones
PF.Bosh/Haslem
C.Curry/Anthony/Pittman

Lets just get one more big.

NYKnicks4511
12-08-2011, 08:44 PM
The Knicks are being kind by amnestying him? If they were kind, they wouldn't have even entertained the notion of doing so. Or I might be misunderstanding what you're saying.

Being amnestied doesn't really matter for Billups, the dude is still getting his salary one way or another. As for bouncing around a lot in trades, that's the business aspect of the game, it isn't personal.

And to make things clear, I really hope we don't amnesty Chauncey. His expiring contract is pretty valuable - we don't have to get much of anything back for him as long as we get him off the books so we can keep our amnesty as insurance for Stoudemire's knees or Chandler's various injuries.

Billups should appreciate the fact that the Knicks picked up his option in the first place, and the Knicks should have no reservations trading him to a non contending team despite Billups' "demands."

NYKnicks4511
12-08-2011, 08:45 PM

SG.Wade/Miller
SF.Lebron/Battier/Jones
PF.Bosh/Haslem
C.Curry/Anthony/Pittman

Dude not to be a downer or anything, but I would be far from optimistic with Eddy Curry as my starting center.

Dade County
12-08-2011, 08:46 PM

SG.Wade/Miller
SF.Lebron/Battier/Jones
PF.Bosh/Haslem
C.Curry/Anthony/Pittman

The darkhorse center is coming tomorrow... Stay tuned! Posters/fans are going to hate.

Chronz
12-08-2011, 08:47 PM
He would be PERFECT for them

justinnum1
12-08-2011, 08:47 PM
Dude not to be a downer or anything, but I would be far from optimistic with Eddy Curry as my starting center.

WHen you start dampier, Z, and still make the finals it really doesnt matter.

UPRock
12-08-2011, 08:48 PM
That could be nice, but I don't see him joining us, we need a good center first.

TylerSL
12-08-2011, 08:48 PM

I agree with you actually. But as I have said in other threads. This is my take on it. Pat Riley is VERY BIG on players being in shape. Miami worked out Eddy Curry last season but didnt sign him because he was still overweight. My guess is, Curry is in shape, or well enough for Pat Riley to sign him. Curry is a 7 footer and now Bosh has bulked up we should be able to bang around in the post now. I dont care if Curry ever scores or not. If he can come in and get 7-8 rebounds and 1 block/game that would be AMAZING IMO.

beasted86
12-08-2011, 08:51 PM
There is a lot of misconception in this thread on how the amnesty waiver process works. Only teams UNDER THE SALARY CAP can claim a player off waivers. Team records have nothing to do with anything.

That said, of the 6-8 teams that are in fact under the cap, I can see at least one of them claiming him with a bid.

NYKnicks4511
12-08-2011, 08:52 PM
WHen you start dampier, Z, and still make the finals it really doesnt matter.

You're really underestimating how horrible Eddy Curry is on defense. At least Dampier was defensive minded, same for Joel, and Z was 7'3''.

Especially if you land Billups, opposing PG's (e.g. Derrick Rose) will blow past him routinely and take it right at Curry, who will either get into early foul trouble or just not even put a hand in a penetrator's face.

beasted86
12-08-2011, 08:55 PM
You're really underestimating how horrible Eddy Curry is on defense. At least Dampier was defensive minded, same for Joel, and Z was 7'3''.

Especially if you land Billups, opposing PG's (e.g. Derrick Rose) will blow past him routinely and take it right at Curry, who will either get into early foul trouble or just not even put a hand in a penetrator's face.

All I want to hear is your opinion on how Mike Bibby and Chauncey Billups compare defensively.

TylerSL
12-08-2011, 08:55 PM

to be fair, Miami would probably play Lebron on Rose, stick Wade on Deng, and stick Billups on whoever is SG.

roshan3ai
12-08-2011, 09:21 PM
This would be a nightmare. One of my favorite players going to a rival... and he's an amazing fit. ****